Author Topic: Mustachian Meditation  (Read 13799 times)

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian Meditation
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
Due to recent stressors (and time off work with the influenza), I've picked up my meditation practice again.

It's so helpful to start the day with a grounded perspective..before I check in on email or news. Lately I've been loving Tara Brach's Loving the Goodness on Insight Timer.
6 minutes and voila, I have a more open start to the day.

sui generis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2020, 09:18:26 AM »
I really like Tara Brach!  I discovered her through Palouse and think I might have to look up more of her stuff.

I'm currently in week 5 of the Palouse MBSR program.  It is helpful and I'm finding it worthwhile.  For instance, week 5 is about turning toward emotional and physical pain.  I'm finding it a bit of a challenge because atm I am very lucky in that I'm not dealing with almost any physical pain or emotional difficulties.  But, I'm trying to practice it anyway, knowing those times will come and wanting to have this as a resource to bolster resilience when they do.

But also, I was really looking into meditation for the mind-expansion, consciousness-exploring possibilities, not to relieve stress in my life.  If anyone has recommendations for meditation focused more on that and NOT on stress-relief, I'd appreciate it. I'm afraid I may need to start from scratch on Buddhist philosophy and spend the next couple decades trying to find the right threads to follow. 

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »
I really like Tara Brach!  I discovered her through Palouse and think I might have to look up more of her stuff.

I'm currently in week 5 of the Palouse MBSR program.  It is helpful and I'm finding it worthwhile.  For instance, week 5 is about turning toward emotional and physical pain.  I'm finding it a bit of a challenge because atm I am very lucky in that I'm not dealing with almost any physical pain or emotional difficulties.  But, I'm trying to practice it anyway, knowing those times will come and wanting to have this as a resource to bolster resilience when they do.

But also, I was really looking into meditation for the mind-expansion, consciousness-exploring possibilities, not to relieve stress in my life.  If anyone has recommendations for meditation focused more on that and NOT on stress-relief, I'd appreciate it. I'm afraid I may need to start from scratch on Buddhist philosophy and spend the next couple decades trying to find the right threads to follow.

Tara Brach is a long time favourite, her website is a good resource for both talks & meditations. Long before I began mediating I used to play her talks in the background while doing dishes or cleaning the house..

The book Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright has some interesting take-aways about no-self, consciousness and more esoteric ideas/benefits of meditation. He focuses on western Buddhism &  interpretation rather than getting into deities, reincarnation so I appreciated that approach.  I'm sure there are other great ones but that book is the first resource which came to mind as I recently re-read it :)

sui generis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
The book Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright has some interesting take-aways about no-self, consciousness and more esoteric ideas/benefits of meditation. He focuses on western Buddhism &  interpretation rather than getting into deities, reincarnation so I appreciated that approach.  I'm sure there are other great ones but that book is the first resource which came to mind as I recently re-read it :)

I really liked that book and it's definitely one of the reasons I'm pursuing meditation and interested in the philosophy.  I probably need to re-read it myself to catch more specific ideas and recs that I may have missed the first time through about two years ago.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2020, 02:48:55 PM »
Due to recent stressors (and time off work with the influenza), I've picked up my meditation practice again.

It's so helpful to start the day with a grounded perspective..before I check in on email or news. Lately I've been loving Tara Brach's Loving the Goodness on Insight Timer.
6 minutes and voila, I have a more open start to the day.

Ooh, glad to hear another recommendation to look for on Insight Timer.  Love that start to my mornings!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2020, 12:08:46 PM »
Wow, I just learned that my daughter's elementary school has been incorporating a few minutes of practicing mindfulness in the morning before the school day starts. Their school was actually featured on the local news. My daughter said that have been doing it for quite some time. I had no idea. I am really trying to practice mindfulness as much as possible throughout the day and setting a goal to work up to 15 minutes of meditation every day.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2020, 01:03:59 PM »
Wow, I just learned that my daughter's elementary school has been incorporating a few minutes of practicing mindfulness in the morning before the school day starts. Their school was actually featured on the local news. My daughter said that have been doing it for quite some time. I had no idea. I am really trying to practice mindfulness as much as possible throughout the day and setting a goal to work up to 15 minutes of meditation every day.

That's interesting, what does your daughter think of it @MasterStache ? I've heard it being incorporated into schools for the past few years especially as they've seen a rise in anxiety levels in children. We all need skills for handling what life brings to us and if you learn 'em young, so much the better!

Am reducing my time spent reading fb/forum/covid-19 news...limiting my intake. Will still stay updated but need to be more mindful of my news consumption..
I am now off work indefinitely so it's good time to practice pausing and use these meditation tools for what they are worth, helping me stay level-headed and clear. Informed but not overly anxious.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2020, 01:47:03 PM »

That's interesting, what does your daughter think of it @MasterStache ? I've heard it being incorporated into schools for the past few years especially as they've seen a rise in anxiety levels in children. We all need skills for handling what life brings to us and if you learn 'em young, so much the better!

Am reducing my time spent reading fb/forum/covid-19 news...limiting my intake. Will still stay updated but need to be more mindful of my news consumption..
I am now off work indefinitely so it's good time to practice pausing and use these meditation tools for what they are worth, helping me stay level-headed and clear. Informed but not overly anxious.

She just says she finds it interesting but that none of the kids really seem to be just sitting quietly. I mean they are 4th graders, haha! Regardless I think even just introducing them to mindfulness at an early age is a great first step.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2020, 09:00:13 AM »
Wasn't sure where to share this, but this passage from Winston Churchill really helped me to start my day off right.

Let us be contented with what has happened and be thankful for all that we have been spared.
Let us accept the natural order of things in which we move.
Let us reconcile ourselves to the mysterious rhythm of our destinies, such as they must be in this world of space and time.
Let us treasure our joys but not bewail our sorrows.
The glory of light cannot exist without its shadows.
Life is a whole, and good and ill must be accepted together.
The journey has been enjoyable and well worth making-----once.

~ Winston Churchill

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2020, 01:35:42 PM »
After doing the Palouse mindfulness program, last summer, I only do the mindful yoga. I still enjoy that quite a lot. But I don't do the meditation anymore. Although occasionally, when I have to spend some minutes waiting, I might use it concentrating on my breath and the sounds that I hear.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2020, 02:40:14 PM »
Wasn't sure where to share this, but this passage from Winston Churchill really helped me to start my day off right.

Let us be contented with what has happened and be thankful for all that we have been spared.
Let us accept the natural order of things in which we move.
Let us reconcile ourselves to the mysterious rhythm of our destinies, such as they must be in this world of space and time.
Let us treasure our joys but not bewail our sorrows.
The glory of light cannot exist without its shadows.
Life is a whole, and good and ill must be accepted together.
The journey has been enjoyable and well worth making-----once.

~ Winston Churchill

Ahh..this is beautiful @Freedomin5 ..I might need to write that out and hang on the fridgel :)

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2020, 09:58:35 AM »
A new talk by Tara: facing the pandemic with an open heart.  Very nice to listen to while drinking morning coffee and watching the birds outside in the trees..

https://www.tarabrach.com/facing-pandemic-fears/

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2020, 09:04:13 PM »
I've been on a huge streak with my meditation, due to coronavirus stress. I missed one day, but have quadrupled my normal meditation rate. It's helping. I mean, hard to assess how much it's helping given the crazy amount of stress. But, it feels so lovely in the moment.

Also, I"m at home with my husband & two kids, so even just the 10 minutes of time to myself, in peace, is amazing.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2020, 10:19:33 AM »
I mean, hard to assess how much it's helping given the crazy amount of stress. But, it feels so lovely in the moment.

Also, I"m at home with my husband & two kids, so even just the 10 minutes of time to myself, in peace, is amazing.

@MaybeBabyMustache right?..ANY peace & quiet, internally and externally can be important right now :)

I've naturally taken to getting up early and going downstairs quietly. sitting on the couch..sometimes a guided mediation or just sitting in silence (before reading the news). Glad you are finding some peaceful moments.--it likely helps your family too.

Makes me think of this idea that Thich Nhat Hanh used to share about the Vietnamese boat people and which I've heard repeated recently:
"When the crowded refugee boats met with storms or pirates, if every one panicked, all would be lost. But if even one person stayed calm, it was enough. It showed the way for everyone to survive."

myobjectivism

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »
Nice to see a thread on meditation.

I started my meditation practice 20 years back when I started my career. And really enjoy the good feel it gives every day morning.

I will be retiring in next few days (I am 43 YO) and one of the goal for me after retiring is to spend more time training or guiding people who are interested in meditation. I am meditation trainer too.

If anyone is interested then feel free to PM to learn meditation. Heartfulness is the meditation which I follow. And it's free of cost.

dblaace

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2020, 09:09:36 AM »
So how is meditation going for everyone? I was consistent for about 6 months up to 30 min then life got in the way. I'm trying to get back to it again. I've got 7 days  at 10 min so far.

In/Out
In/Out
In/Out
In/Out...

Evasion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
Serendip, thank you for starting this thread. Here we meet again after the 100k NW race.
I have been meditating on and off for a few years. I use an app called Head space and do mostly mindfulness / vipassana meditation. I really enjoy it and do it both to be calmer, less stressed, for the effects on my brain and because I have interest in some aspects of Buddhist philosophy. Strangely, or maybe not so strangely, meditating daily seems to be related to moderating my alcohol consumption and vice versa (always had a bit of an unhealthy enthusiasm for the bottle, which I'm still working on).
I just reconnected with the practice and will continue to keep myself accountable and hopefully have interesting discussions on this thread.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2020, 03:13:35 PM »
This thread always pops up at the right time for me :)

Hi @Evasion ! I agree--alcohol is demotivating. I'm going for a beer/booze free August as I feel I've been consuming a bit too much lately. It's not necessarily the quantity but frequency that I need to rebalance,a daily beer or two (yikes). A one month reset will be a bit hard with summer weather finally arriving but I am also trying to rebook my daily meditation practice so they naturally go hand-in-hand. ha. Plus, it will help with my dismal showings in the 100k thread..I took a bad swing downwards this year. Ebbs & Flows..

@dblaace --good job reviving your daily meditation practice! It's nice to get back into the rhythm of it being a natural part of the day :)

@myobjectivism How wonderful that you have such a history of meditation and will be able to offer that after you retire. I imagine these skills are going to be MUCH needed in the upcoming years. I've only been learning sitting meditation for the past 4-5 years as I was more interested in intentional living/breathwork previously but am finding the tools that focused work offers are really beneficial for my mental health and emotional state. If you have additional resources you want to share, I could add them to the start of the thread?

jafr1284

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »
I am a huge fan of sam harris's waking up app. The lessons and meditations are great. You can do a free trial and listen to all of them during the trial. I have started using headspace now, its good too. Honestly after doing the waking up course, I feel comfortable with unguided meditations. I think meditation is the ultimate mustachian hobby/ entertainment.