Author Topic: Eat ALL the food in your house  (Read 154974 times)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
Re: Eat ALL the food in your house
« Reply #400 on: April 18, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »
This is a pretty hardcore eating-all-the-food question.

Any salad dressing recipes utilizing the leftover bits in the jam jar I can't scrape out? It seems like a potential thing in my mind.

It's strawberry, if that matters.

So this seems random but I think I saw it elsewhere in the thread - if you're a coffee drinker, swish your coffee around in that jar.  It would probably be like using a flavored syrup.

Strawberry flavored coffee...? I won't lie--that sounds intriguing, but not because I think it will be awesome. It's too late for this jam jar, though. Strawberry balsamic vinaigrette in the fridge!

So, a couple months ago I inherited leftover ingredients from three people who moved away (I posted about it before). I've slowly been making my way through those. The most-familiar-to-me ingredients (flour, sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, dried cranberries) got used up super quickly via baking, which was fabulous, but now I'm into less familiar territory. Yesterday I made muffins with desiccated coconut, dried "mixed fruit" (I think mangos and papaya), and lime juice from my inherited ingredients (plus others I had to buy--raisins, flour, milk, egg). They're so good!

There's something in the pantry I really don't like: gluten-free biscuit mix. I made biscuits (followed the recipe on the back of the package since I'm totally unfamiliar with this stuff) last weekend with it and they are DRY. Blech. I suffered through them by putting mayo and eggs on top. Not wanting to waste it, I'm having a second stab today or tomorrow. I'll make an approximation of this no-meat gravy http://www.food.com/recipe/no-sausage-gravy-for-biscuits-and-gravy-298874 , using a mixed herb spice mix I have on hand (it has *most* of the stuff found in poultry seasoning--I'll make it work somehow). It might be awful, but at least I'm using things up.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: April 19, 2014, 12:16:01 AM »
Adult daughter found a big bag of frozen chicken thighs at the bottom of my deep freeze! wahoo! now I won't need to buy chicken for a while!

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #402 on: April 19, 2014, 09:39:25 AM »

Any salad dressing recipes utilizing the leftover bits in the jam jar I can't scrape out? It seems like a potential thing in my mind.

So this seems random but I think I saw it elsewhere in the thread - if you're a coffee drinker, swish your coffee around in that jar.  It would probably be like using a flavored syrup.

Strawberry flavored coffee...? I won't lie--that sounds intriguing, but not because I think it will be awesome. It's too late for this jam jar, though. Strawberry balsamic vinaigrette in the fridge!

Snip.

Haha. Could be good.. They make raspberry flavored syrup.  Can't be terribly different.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: April 19, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
Anyone have any ideas for canned coconut milk? We occasionally make curries, and use it as a milk base when we make chia seed pudding...but I have a ton to use up. How do you use it?

We love it in place of water when making rice.  Basmati is yummiest, but it makes any rice better.  Or half water and half coconut milk.

thanks for this! I separate out the cream for vegan ice cream, so I have a few half cans of the watery part I need to use

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2014, 07:18:04 AM »
Anyone have any ideas for canned coconut milk? We occasionally make curries, and use it as a milk base when we make chia seed pudding...but I have a ton to use up. How do you use it?

Fave recipe, v quick, makes good leftovers. Had it tonight.

I jar of red or green thai curry paste, stir fry in a tbsp of coconut oil. Add 1 can of coconut milk. Bring to boil until thickens. Chuck in 1-2tbs fish sauce and same amount of palm sugar. Add 1 kg chopped chicken, breast or thighs.   Then add a second can of coconut milk.  Simmer tip cooked through. Chuck in handfuls of basil leaves from garden if in season. You can get fancy with lemon grass, coriander (cilantro) if you wish.

Main reason for posting was to say I'm close to the end of all those things needing to be eaten up. In the spirit of the challenge today I needed to use up the remains of our 11kg (approx 25lb) watermelon we grew. ( pretty excited we grew that all ourselves, can you tell?). So I made watermelon and ginger jam. Interesting. Still cooling and not set, fingers crossed.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #405 on: April 25, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »
Here's a weird one: does anyone have ideas on how to use up culinary lavender?  I bought it thinking I'd make lavender-infused desserts, but I have way too much. Other than infusing it in water, not sure what else to do.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »
Here's a weird one: does anyone have ideas on how to use up culinary lavender?  I bought it thinking I'd make lavender-infused desserts, but I have way too much. Other than infusing it in water, not sure what else to do.

Make lavender sugar! Then give away jars of lavender sugar for gifts.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #407 on: April 25, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »

Or make Lavender Simple Syrup - makes a great base for drinks as well as Lavender lemonade.

You could dry it and add to epsom salts, or make a vanilla and lavender sugar body scrub - both make awesome gifts. Or make a Bath tea blend.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #408 on: April 26, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
We decided to do this last month and I just now stumbled on this thread--awesome work, everybody!

We try not to overbuy in the first place and so were pretty surprised at how much random food we had stashed away! Definitely found some odd & very forgotten items in our freezer (mostly frozen veg and fruit..not sure which of us picked out the 5lb bag of frozen green beans, but, I'm sure it was really cheap at the time :) ).

We're getting close to bare cupboards--even ate the can of anchovies we found in our basement pantry!

Our goal now is to cook everything from scratch and not buy anything pre-made/packaged (with some exceptions). Our grocery bill now runs about $35/week for 2 adults and consists of fresh fruit, vegetables, coffee, and the odd condiment (like olive oil or vinegar). We're able to buy our primary food stuffs in bulk at Costco (beans, lentils, oats, quinoa). Eliminating meat and a lot of dairy, except for special occasions, has greatly reduced our grocery bills over time.

Also, LOVE the drink all the wine idea...we get boxed wine, which is by far the cheapest route to go and it tastes pretty darn good. We're working on the "drink all the gin program" right now to consume our Christmas gin!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #409 on: April 26, 2014, 11:37:30 AM »

Or make Lavender Simple Syrup - makes a great base for drinks as well as Lavender lemonade.

That's what I was going to say!  Erica even has a recipe for you:  http://www.nwedible.com/2014/02/how-to-make-simple-syrup.html

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #410 on: April 26, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
Yum!  Lavender sugar and syrup sound great.

Thanks guys!

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: April 26, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »

Oooh, yes, strawberry vinaigrettes are great.  Just throw in a mild oil and vinegar.  You could do balsamic, but white wine vinegar would work well.  I actually have strawberry vinegar that I'm mixing with toasted hazelnut oil.   

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: April 26, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
We're on the slow track here to using things up (I am not solely using pantry, just trying to eat down old items and not buy them again if they are not popular).  This past week used up: Frozen lasagna from 2011, 2 cans of kidney beans from 2009 in a chili.  They passed the sniff test and we seems to still be alive...and better yet DH didn't even notice, so it's all good.  :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #413 on: April 26, 2014, 07:48:18 PM »
Made quinoa pilaff in the rice cooker.  2 cups of quinoa, 4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of powdered chicken bouillon, 1/2 a minced onion, 2 diced carrots, handful of chopped cilantro.  It was delicious and well-received by the family! More pantry food used up!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #414 on: April 26, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
When I saw the title, I decided this could form part of decluttering the kitchen. Since then I have made 2 lemon spinach and lentil soups (1pkt lentils; spinach, carrots, lemons from the garden... nothing bought) the recipe says - serves 6. It has served us for a week each time! In the lentil drawer I still have at least enough lentils for 20 more weeks of this soup. This doesn't include beans and other dried grains etc. in that one drawer. For variety we had bean soup last week.

It sounds like I have a year's worth of food in just this one drawer without counting other things!

And I thought that I could declutter the kitchen this year!

By the way - what is a CSA box?

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2014, 12:51:13 AM »
CSA = consumer supported agriculture. You opt in for a given period of time, pay up front, and get goodies from the participating farm(s) weekly or monthly in some cases. Mine's each week from a group of organic farmers.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #416 on: April 27, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »
Totally got off track on this one- so I'll start again beginning now. Just checked out the freezer situation and I have enough veggies stored in there that I shouldn't even need to buy produce.

So- I'm resolving not to do any grocery shopping until June.   Wish me luck!

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #417 on: April 27, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
This is my goal this month - my grocery category in Mint this month was embarrassingly outrageous. I hit all kinds of manager's specials on meat and have a freezer full, but it destroyed my budget. So, goal is to use what I have and buy the bare minimum. I got ground lamb for $3.49 a pound (bought two pounds) and flat bread on clearance for 99 cents, I had greek yogurt to use...so..Gyros!!! Made husband very happy. I got some Laura's Lean ground beef on manager's special, so going to scramble fry for taco meat and make taco salads. (lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream in fridge).

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #418 on: May 02, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
Well.  Here I am again.  I ended up April $451 OVER budget in groceries--shocking how easy it is to do that.  DH was home for two weeks and we went into some free fall spending, my folks visited us two weekends, we hosted a block party, and I made an end-of-month trip to Costco while hungry (doh!).  And there you have it.  By the time I pay for the kids school lunches (non-negotiable), I will have $50 left for the entire month of May for groceries.

I have a very full fridge, pantry, and freezer and am prepared to take on the challenge so see if we can get to the end of the month without spending more than $50 (milk, bread, eggs, a few fresh fruits and veggies to supplement what we already have on hand). 

Wish me luck!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #419 on: May 02, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »
Gray Matter,

I'd be super interested to see if you make it through the month of May on $50 for groceries. Please let us know... and Good luck! I do this ALL the time ... Costco is the bane of my existence! I'm so weak!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #420 on: May 03, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »
Gray Matter,

I'd be super interested to see if you make it through the month of May on $50 for groceries. Please let us know... and Good luck! I do this ALL the time ... Costco is the bane of my existence! I'm so weak!

Thanks for the support!  I may be back here asking, "What can I make with rhubarb, black beans, and ricotta" a few times, but I'm committed.  I've enlisted the kids' help (and by that, I mean I told them about the challenge and put them on notice that we'd not be following our cravings this month.)  I have one particularly-fussy child, so I'm expecting some protests from him as the food combinations get stranger and stranger.  I will just suggest he plug his nose if the taste is too offensive to his tender taste buds!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #421 on: May 03, 2014, 09:47:22 PM »
Lately, I've been eating mostly CSA produce supplemented with pantry items. Spices are definitely being used in large quantities, to marvelous results. But this week, due to Korean holidays (Children's Day and Buddha's Birthday), I won't be receiving my weekly box of organic goodies. So I'll definitely make a dent in my pantry and freezer. I think there will be a lot of beans, spaghetti, and egg dishes.

I'm also going to run out of flour after baking cupcakes to celebrate my anniversary with my boyfriend today. I *might* need to make a grocery run for more flour and garlic...

Things I'd like ideas for:
  • star anise
  • gelatin
  • unknown kind of red chili preserved in a liquid that smells like BBQ sauce (inherited item without a label--fun!)
  • green curry paste (creative ideas? No coconut milk here $$$ I ate red curry paste marinaded chicken yesterday, which was fab. I think the same thing could work with green curry paste.)

Note: I do eat meat, but not often, and even then only chicken or ground pork due to prices. I could try fish or shrimp, but that's very intimidating to me. They often come whole here. :-O

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #422 on: May 03, 2014, 09:55:54 PM »
Nikki- whenever I go to the Korean supermarket, they clean and cut the fish for me as a complex tart service.  I know I'm not in Korea, but if you ask, they may do it for you as well.  I know mother and other family have done the same in Korea.  :)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #423 on: May 03, 2014, 10:04:36 PM »
Nikki- whenever I go to the Korean supermarket, they clean and cut the fish for me as a complex tart service.  I know I'm not in Korea, but if you ask, they may do it for you as well.  I know mother and other family have done the same in Korea.  :)

Good to know. I'll have to ask someone how to ask for that if I ever want to try cooking fish.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #424 on: May 04, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »

• star anise
  • gelatin
  • unknown kind of red chili preserved in a liquid that smells like BBQ sauce (inherited item without a label--fun!)
  • green curry paste (creative ideas? No coconut milk here $$$ I ate red curry paste marinaded chicken yesterday, which was fab. I think the same thing could work with green curry paste.)

Star anise is a good addition to your basic Chai spice mix. Also good on popcorn can go either sweet or savory, depending on what else you use.curry paste and garlic stir fied rice

Gelatin: Make your own gummy candies! or marshmallows!

Green Curry paste: curry paste and garlic stir fried rice. Heat oil in wok, add a little bit of curry paste heat through the oil, add a little chopped garlic stir fry for a few seconds and add some leftover rice.
Note: I do eat meat, but not often, and even then only chicken or ground pork due to prices. I could try fish or shrimp, but that's very intimidating to me. They often come whole here. :-O

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #425 on: May 04, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »
I have recently used up:

- frozen ravioli
- bag of frozen veggies (one more bag to go)
- egg noodles
- mushrooms
- whole wheat tortillas

Next up: rice, chickpeas, frozen mango chunks

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #426 on: May 04, 2014, 06:34:18 PM »
Thanks to this thread (and the fact that we keep going over our food budget) I went through the house this weekend and wrote down all the meals we could make.  I found 13 lunch/dinner meals.  We normally shop every two weeks (so next weekend), but I may just do a fruit/milk/bread run next weekend and push the big trip back.  That should save some money.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #427 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »

That's what I was going to say!  Erica even has a recipe for you:  http://www.nwedible.com/2014/02/how-to-make-simple-syrup.html
Thanks for the nod! :D

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #428 on: May 04, 2014, 06:54:18 PM »
  • star anise
  • gelatin

Star Anise - Throw a few whole star anise pods in when you cook rice. A couple cardamom pods and a bit of dried orange peel are good, too, if you have them. Nice fragrant spiced rice.
Gelatin - classic dessert option. Your best bet is the Knox recipe index: http://www.kraftbrands.com/knox/
Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce - One of my favorite things of all time. Spicy. Mix with some raspberry or blackberry or citrus preserve for a great glaze for pork or chicken or fish. Smush up and blend with mayo and sour cream and a bit of honey for a great sandwich spread. Use in chili, stew...any place you need heat and smoke together, this is a good option.
Green Curry Paste - I like green beans and pork stir fried with green curry. No coconut milk required.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #429 on: May 04, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »
Awesome ideas! Thanks :-D

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: May 05, 2014, 08:47:22 AM »
Any ideas for using stale soft tortilla shells?

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #431 on: May 05, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
Thanks for the nod! :D

You're welcome!  I love your recipes, particularly the cocktails!  ;)  If this were the "Drink all the gin in your house" challenge, I'd win it thanks to your gin and ginger cocktail.  My husband and I both love that one a little too much.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #432 on: May 05, 2014, 10:04:25 AM »

They make a yummy little dessert when fried.  Drizzle a little chocolate sauce on them, sprinkle on a little powdered sugar, cut them like little pie slices.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #433 on: May 05, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »

you could also use them in a layered dish (like Lasagna noodles) to make a tex-mex inspired lasagna, or do the same with eggs and meat and cheese for a breakfast casserole.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: May 05, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
Because of you guys which got me writing down a bunch of meals we could make with what is at home (probably not even all of them), my husband has agreed to do a small run to Aldis for fruit/milk/eggs/bread instead of going and doing our semimonthly big trip.   We are going to push off the big trip a week.  This will really help because we have gone over budget in the last couple months.  This thread has been a major blessing.  Thank you to all who are participating and to the OP.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:46:18 PM by Gin1984 »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #435 on: May 06, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »

you could also use them in a layered dish (like Lasagna noodles) to make a tex-mex inspired lasagna, or do the same with eggs and meat and cheese for a breakfast casserole.

Chilaquiles:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilaquiles

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #436 on: May 09, 2014, 05:19:15 AM »
25% of the way there!  So far all I have bought this month is a gallon of milk and a carton of eggs.  I know it'll get harder as we progress, but so far, so good.  This week we've been eating turkey, roasted vegetables, and brown rice pilaf in various combinations (straight up, as fried rice, in a casserole).  It only recently occurred to me to turn left-overs into something else so the kids (and I!) experience it as something new.  Love that!

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #437 on: May 10, 2014, 06:22:08 AM »
Just made a huge pot of pasta sauce using every wrinkled or dry vegetable in my fridge! Not only did I get a bunch of meals basically for no cost, but I can finally clean out my crisper drawer.

If you don't hear from me in a month, send help.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #438 on: May 10, 2014, 07:50:42 PM »
Has anyone used kelp noodles?  I bought some a couple months ago, and they're about to expire.  Not really sure what to do with them... stirfry?

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #439 on: May 11, 2014, 08:35:26 AM »
Went to the store this weekend and stocked up on enough milk, eggs, fresh fruit, veggies, and yogurt to last the rest of the month (along with everything already in the fridge/pantry/freezer).  This left me with $10.16 cents for the rest of the month for incidentals.  Then, on the way to dinner at a friend's house last night, she called and asked me to pick up some hotdog buns.  So new we're down to $6.87 cents!!!

This is gonna get interesting...We absolutely have enough food (more than enough) to get through the next 20 days, so that's not the issue.  The bigger issue is the little whiney voice in my head that sometimes doesn't want to eat what's on hand, or that doesn't feel like cooking, or that's tired of leftovers. 

Wish me luck!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #440 on: May 11, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »
Has anyone used kelp noodles?  I bought some a couple months ago, and they're about to expire.  Not really sure what to do with them... stirfry?

I haven't cooked with Kelp noodles, a quick goolge lead me to this post which has some suggestions:
http://www.choosingraw.com/kelp-noodle-101-how-to-prepare-and-serve-kelp-noodles/

They look like they would probably be good in lettuce wraps or spring rolls. I made some yummy rice paper spring rolls last night, with fresh herbs, noodles, carrot, bean sprouts, cilantro, lettuce and a peanut dipping sauce.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #441 on: May 11, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »

Yes! I love them so much! Wonderful for gluten-free diets, etc. The packages I use -in a wet bag- say just to rinse and use. So, I rinse them in a colander, cut them randomly with scissors (they're very long), then use them cold with meat sauce or anything else I might otherwise have spaghetti, etc, with or stir fry, etc. They're light and slightly crunchy. Very refreshing.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: May 11, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »
I think I'm going backwards with this challenge - last week I visited several Asian groceries and stocked up on spices, dried mushrooms and other completely awesome, but pantry-occupying, ingredients.

bagwasher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #443 on: May 17, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »
I am glad to find this discussion as I'm trying to do this for two reasons: 1. reduce our monthly food bill, 2. use up most of our food before we go on a long vacation. I'm finding it an interesting challenge as I have lots of ingredients that I think I bought for a recipe and then never used and now I don't know why I have them.

Does anyone have any recipes using Bernard Jensens Apple Concentratehttp://www.vitacost.com/bernard-jensens-apple-concentrate?csrc=GPF-PA-Foods%20%26%20Beverages-726434101112&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=726434101112&gclid=CIeN64Pys74CFU5lfgodtG4A5g?

I've had it a long time but it was still sealed and had no use by date. I think I bought it to sweeten baked goods. Does anyone have any vegan recipes that use it?

Also Ume Plum Vinegar. I seem to have 2 bottles and can't remember what I bought it for. Need vegan recipes.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #444 on: May 17, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »
The clock is ticking. We're moving in 29 days. We do a good job of cycling through our refrigerated and frozen food, but not so much the pantry. Here's the list of things that I've been staring at:

quinoa
Bulgar wheat
chickpea flour
masa
nori
wasabi paste
dried blueberries
split peas
couscous
small pasta shells (1/2 box)
Jell-o

I've got ideas for most of it, but I'm at a loss for the chickpea flour. Any ideas? I bought it for Indian-style fritters, but don't want to make any fried food.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #445 on: May 17, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »
quinoa - use like rice
Bulgar wheat - tabbouleh
chickpea flour - hummus (recipe here: http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=866)
masa - corn tortillas
nori - sushi, sushi bowls, general snacking
wasabi paste - sushi, etc.
dried blueberries - cook sub for raisins in oatmeal, baked goods. Particularly nice in scones.
split peas - soup, natch. (my recipe here: http://www.nwedible.com/2013/10/split-pea-soup.html)
couscous - great with summer veg like cukes and peppers as a salad. Also a good basic starch-side with a bit of brown butter and salt)
small pasta shells (1/2 box) - Shells are good with creamy sauces that can get in the nooks. Also good in minestrone-type soups. For soup it's best to cook pasta separately and add to the rest of soup just before service or you get EEPS (ever-expanding pasta syndrome).
Jell-o - homemade gummy treats (recipe: http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/01/06/homemade-gummi-candy/)

I've got ideas for most of it, but I'm at a loss for the chickpea flour. Any ideas? I bought it for Indian-style fritters, but don't want to make any fried food.
[/quote]

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #446 on: May 17, 2014, 05:37:50 PM »
chickpea flour - hummus (recipe here: http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=866)

This is brilliant! I had no idea you could make hummus with it, but of course! Excellent, thanks!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #447 on: May 17, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »

This is brilliant! I had no idea you could make hummus with it, but of course! Excellent, thanks!

This might be the best idea ever! I have a bag of chickpea flour to use up too>

I throw bulgar into soups, use it to stretch out hamburgers, meatloaf, make Kofte, steam it just like couscous to use in salads and side dishes. I made this breakfast bake last week and has fed Hubby and I all week and is very tasty - you could throw your dried blueberries in it, I used raisins

http://www.anediblemosaic.com/?p=16998

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #448 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
Does anyone have any recipes using Bernard Jensens Apple Concentratehttp://www.vitacost.com/bernard-jensens-apple-concentrate?csrc=GPF-PA-Foods%20%26%20Beverages-726434101112&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=726434101112&gclid=CIeN64Pys74CFU5lfgodtG4A5g?

I've had it a long time but it was still sealed and had no use by date. I think I bought it to sweeten baked goods. Does anyone have any vegan recipes that use it?

Also Ume Plum Vinegar. I seem to have 2 bottles and can't remember what I bought it for. Need vegan recipes.

That apple concentrate looks a lot like a traditional preserve called Boiled Cider. Assuming it's equivelent, I'd do a recipe search for boiled cider. Here's some ideas: http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/boiled-cider/12318/

I use boiled cider in cocktails (Here: http://www.nwedible.com/2014/03/the-dark-and-drizzly-cocktail.html) but you can also use it as a maple syrup sub (soy yogurt apple pancakes with apple cider concentrate?) or just dilute it in water for a drink. Try a bit with hot water and lemon for an appley-tea type thing.

Ume Vin - try with basic marinated salads. It's good with cucumber. I'd do chickpeas and cuke with ume and a bit of sesame oil. Maybe a drizzle of honey if it needs a bit of sweetness. And personally, I would eat the HELL out of this avocado corn salad with ume vin dressing: http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/california-avocado-salad/

bagwasher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #449 on: May 18, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »

Thanks for the ideas for using apple concentrate and ume plum vinegar. Now I know the concentrate is called boiled cider I can find more information on the interwebs.

I also have some chickpea flour to use up and I have been hoping to try to make socca. I think that is why I bought it in the first place. Here is a link: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-socca-a-naturally-gluten-free-chickpea-flatbread-169513

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!