Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 711927 times)

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #2600 on: January 14, 2020, 04:04:56 AM »
Trying to make it until Thursday before I buy anything. I still have a lot of chicken. My cats got one chicken breast because I waited a day late to cook it and it smelled off.
The only thing I've bought in the last week was a bottle of lemonade at work for $2.

I'm going to make hamburgers today with last 1 lb of ground beef and eat those with the last of the potato chips and green beans. Have some leftover buffalo chicken (mayo+hot sauce packet from work), rice, broccoli, and carrots to finish. And I made some pancakes.

Since I'm only cooking for myself, I don't mind eating the same things all the time. I work 12.5 hr night shifts so I eat several times at work and it sometimes ends up being the most random things.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2601 on: January 14, 2020, 07:02:43 AM »
Found some old cans of Herbalife powdered soup mixture (16 ounces, makes 21 cups of soup ) , and Slimwell Balanced Meal SHake.  No date on the Herbalife.  Best by Feb, 2004 on the SLimwell.        Guess I'll try them both and see how they taste. Some are unopened. May try to sell the unopened ones  at a  flea market.   

SunnyDays

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2602 on: January 14, 2020, 09:01:38 AM »
Found some old cans of Herbalife powdered soup mixture (16 ounces, makes 21 cups of soup ) , and Slimwell Balanced Meal SHake.  No date on the Herbalife.  Best by Feb, 2004 on the SLimwell.        Guess I'll try them both and see how they taste. Some are unopened. May try to sell the unopened ones  at a  flea market.   

No No No No .............  That's taking frugality too far.  Throw them out!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2603 on: January 14, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »
Found about a half pound leftover pork sausage in the freezer I'd cooked for tacos a few months ago.  I'll add it to tonight's ground beef for Taco Tuesday.  :D

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2604 on: January 14, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
I get lost in the awesomeness of this thread, so thanks to all.

House goes on the market in a few weeks, and when we move I don't want to move (or waste) food. So the push is on to only shop when I need to (ie no veggies at all or half and half for my coffee, one of the things I refuse to go without) and (perhaps the bigger one) ONLY to buy what I need (said veggies and half and half). Let's see how it goes. I'm out of yellow onions and almost out of garlic (the horror), which will be a trigger for a store run; I'll buy a cabbage as a bulk veggie filler to be able to extend my time between the store past what lettuce would last.

Tonight: pork tenderloin with a greek salad
Options then left: pork and veggie fried rice, quesadillas. Shepherd's pie of some version with pork and whatever veggies I have and mashed potatoes on top. Pancakes for dinner. Grilled cheese and tomato soup.

Maybe I can put off the store until early next week. We'll see.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2605 on: January 16, 2020, 06:12:21 PM »

SunnyDays,

I  appreciate your response, but why? Do you think they might be harmful to consume due to being old?   

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • resting up for 2020
« Reply #2606 on: January 17, 2020, 02:32:27 AM »
I was so successful in eating down my stores before my trip that I came home to... nothing? No food? At least that's what it felt like. I've got liquid egg, fish, and veggies in the freezer, cans of tuna in the cupboard, and celery in the fridge. So I started the cycle over and picked up 4-5 days worth of free food. Now to eat a whole buncha tofu scramble.

zee dot

• Stubble
« Reply #2607 on: January 18, 2020, 09:32:54 AM »
Cooked a duck out of the freezer stash.
Used up the last of some peaches,  a bottle of eggnog,  the last of a bag of pecans. Continued good work!

Goals for this long weekend: eat the fruit and salad stuff before it goes bad.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2608 on: January 18, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »
I found a little coconut flour (from what? Uncertain) and I have some heavy cream to use up so I'm going to give this recipe a try. I'm not keto but how bad can baked cheese be?

http://uplateanyway.com/keto/crazy-bread-breadsticks-low-carb-gluten-free/

I need to figure out what to do with the 2 1/2 tofurkey sausages in my freezer. They're horrible. Spongy and too salty, and just bad flavor. I didn't like them in an egg casserole. Maybe in a vegan jambalaya? Throw enough hot sauce in there and maybe I won't notice?

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2609 on: January 18, 2020, 01:16:24 PM »

I need to figure out what to do with the 2 1/2 tofurkey sausages in my freezer. They're horrible. Spongy and too salty, and just bad flavor. I didn't like them in an egg casserole. Maybe in a vegan jambalaya? Throw enough hot sauce in there and maybe I won't notice?

I was going to suggest grinding them up and using them in a spaghetti sauce or chili, but if they have bad flavor I'd pitch them. Why waste the other ingredients on a concoction that is yucky? Sometimes you win experiments and sometimes you don't. Don't buy them again, obviously.

I'm a big believer in using up leftovers in creative ways, but if an ingredient tastes yucky out it goes. Same reason I won't cook with wine I won't drink on its own.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2610 on: January 18, 2020, 01:25:19 PM »
Found an old box of Lemon Bars mix in the pantry. Tried to cook it up. Kind of a disaster thanks to unclear instructions (male here, just following instructions, no innate sense of what is crust and what is topping!) The vague instructions did not identify which of the 2 packets was crust and which was topping, and no markings on them, of course. I'm supposed to just know.  think I used the wrong one for crust. I can eat half of it anyway. The bottom part (supposedly crust) is stuck to the bottom of the pan  and I'll have to soak it off over a few days.

Goos news is that I'll  have the box of Lemon Bars out of the house, never to return.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2611 on: January 18, 2020, 01:47:32 PM »

I was going to suggest grinding them up and using them in a spaghetti sauce or chili, but if they have bad flavor I'd pitch them. Why waste the other ingredients on a concoction that is yucky? Sometimes you win experiments and sometimes you don't. Don't buy them again, obviously.

I'm a big believer in using up leftovers in creative ways, but if an ingredient tastes yucky out it goes. Same reason I won't cook with wine I won't drink on its own.

Yeah, Aldi was out of vegan sausage (which is surprisingly good)  so I went to Whole Foods and HOLY SHIT the fake meat is expensive there. Most of the vegan sausage was $7 or $8 per package, this was $4. I guess I know why now? Live and learn.

Oddly, I don't mind cooking with mediocre wine. I guess maybe because most of my recipes that call for wine call for white, and I don't usually drink white anyway?

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #2612 on: January 18, 2020, 06:45:06 PM »
After some creative combining I can say I do not have to go to the store this week.

We are going to have things like Barley salad, homemade ravioli, and some tacos. All great food and will help me use up the random in my house.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2613 on: January 19, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »
Got all the bits and bobs of snacky stuff out of the house with a batch of snack mix. I got into a phase this fall of trying out different snack mix recipes (basically daisy-chaining recipes...try one recipe, have leftover ingredients. Make another recipe to use those ingredients, have leftovers of the ingredients I bought for the new recipe. Continue in an infinite loop.) However in the process, I found the Uber Recipe, which I share now in hopes of helping others use up their bits.

Melt one stick of butter in a melt-friendly container. I put it in a giant Pyrex bowl in the microwave, but you do you. Mix in about 3 tablespoons of zingy spices. The classic Chex Mix recipe is 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, half a tablespoon seasoned salt, half a tablespoon of garlic and onion powder combined, but use whatever you've got around. There should be salt involved, especially if you're using a lot of non-salted components like cereal. Come up with 8-12 cups of crunchy things. Unsweetened cereal (Chex or Cheerios), pretzels, cheese crackers, nuts, crushed tortilla chips, bagel chips, chow mein noodles, sesame sticks, etc. etc. etc. Toss the crunchies in the melted butter (thus why I use the giant bowl.) Now cook the butter-covered crunchies, stirring every so often. 6 minutes in the microwave works, stirring every two minutes. Or an hour in the oven at 200 degrees, stirring every 15-20 minutes. Or I think you can use the slow cooker somehow. Cool and eat.

Also made an oatmeal smoothie for lunch that cleared out some random fruit.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2614 on: January 19, 2020, 02:51:26 PM »
Had 2 kinds of leftover pasta and a few odds and ends from pizza night the other night (including both red and white sauce). Layered them into a "kitchen sink casserole" topped with 2 cheese sticks that have been in the cheese drawer for a REALLY LONG TIME (kids are both in college . . .). Will bake for 30 minutes and eat like a less cheesy, less sauce-y lasagna. Used up cream cheese as well as tablespoons of this and that.

One of my favorite go-tos for using up stuff.

Monerexia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2615 on: January 19, 2020, 03:03:49 PM »
Interesting! I actually had this idea on my own a couple weeks ago when I discovered a case of soup that was about to go beyond expiration date. Ate 2-3 cans/day for a bit and thought I should go through all the canned goods and freezer stuff before putting anything else in there. Have eaten corn and tuna together in a bowl a bit, other things like that.

SunnyDays

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2616 on: January 19, 2020, 08:34:33 PM »

SunnyDays,

I  appreciate your response, but why? Do you think they might be harmful to consume due to being old?   

SunnyDays

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2617 on: January 19, 2020, 08:39:05 PM »
(See above.). Yes exactly.  16 year old food just canít be good for you!

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2618 on: January 20, 2020, 08:07:47 AM »

I'm such a frugalist, this is really freaking me out. I can't find any definitive answer by searching the net. I guess I'll have to throw them out (the powdered shakes and Herbalife).   Better safe than sorry, right?

On the other hand.... did I mention the undated can of organic rye and organic brown rice cereal?  I've eaten three small bowls of that and so far so good! I boil it for 5 minutes before eating it.

SunnyDays

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2619 on: January 20, 2020, 10:46:06 AM »

I'm such a frugalist, this is really freaking me out. I can't find any definitive answer by searching the net. I guess I'll have to throw them out (the powdered shakes and Herbalife).   Better safe than sorry, right?

On the other hand.... did I mention the undated can of organic rye and organic brown rice cereal?  I've eaten three small bowls of that and so far so good! I boil it for 5 minutes before eating it.

Anything that truly has NO date is really old, because dating food has been occurring for a long time.  Some items have codes, which are almost impossible to decipher, because the code formula differs from one manufacturer to the next.  I actually called a company, I think it was Maple Leaf, to ask about a canned ham that had a code on it.  Turns out it was from 2014, but the rep said it was actually still good for 2 years after that because they're conservative with the dating.  It was 2018, so I threw it out.  I've had food poisoning before, so now I don't take chances.  I've never been so sick.  And even if you don't get sick, there can't be much nutritional value left after all that time.  You deserve better!

Luz

• Stubble
« Reply #2620 on: January 20, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »
I'm joining this challenge! I'll start with clearing out the pantry, fridge, and freezer. But my real focus is to deal with the upstream issues related to bringing more food into the house than we (my partner, toddler, and I +baby on the way) are able to consume.

I usually shop at Sprouts and Costco (and sometimes Fry's). This week I didn't have time to stop by Costco after Sprouts and I spent so much less than usual (I just bought a week's worth quantity from Sprouts). Sure, I bought a bag of 30 tortillas at Sprouts for the same price that I buy over 100 of them at Costco, but I'm guessing that we will waste much less food than usual. And I'm questioning whether we're actually coming out ahead by buying such large quantities.

I am taking a trip at the end of February. Between now and then, I'll clear out our coffers and shop for only what we can eat in a week (price per unit be damned). I'll be interested to see what comes of it.