Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 403112 times)

seemsright

• Stubble
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #2200 on: April 14, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »
My 7 year old requested orange chicken for dinner. Ummm...let me see what I can do kid. A quick google search and a few tweeks I was able to put together a orange chicken dish for the girl.

The fact that I can pull together orange chicken using $.97 cent per pound chicken, a sad looking orange, some orange marmalade that has been in the back of the fridge for I have no idea how long, some garlic that must be used, some freezer burnt ginger and some sesame oil along with a bit of corn starch and water. It looks all fancy with the bits of marmalade floating around in it. I have the chicken boiling with some bay leaf and will throw on the grill tonight. I will use some leftover rice and cook up some frozen veggie from the freezer.

I have bread raising on the counter, just made some oatmeal muffins for snacks. Tmrw I will make some english muffins.

This week (and next) I am determined to not go to the store. I have enough food in this house to feed us I just have to make it. I decided to try out a fancy CSA for two weeks to try the last two weeks of the winter CSA to see if I like it for next year. And I only have $10 bucks left in the food budget. Which will be for milk, peanut butter and bananas if I need to.  The 7 year olds lunch this week might be interesting.
"Luck is how others define hard work, dedication, focus and vision" 3/15

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2201 on: April 15, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »
Last spring I found a lot of wild garlic and dried some of it. When drying, the whole house smelled of garlic, but the bag of dried stuff does not smell a lot. Still, today I finally used some of it.

I will soon pick a new bunch, but make puree of it, which tastes a lot.

savedough

• Stubble
« Reply #2202 on: April 16, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »
I'm moving right along.   This was a good week for emptying the freezer.

Used two packages of preformed hamburgers to make taco meat.  The kids like tacos more than hamburgers.
Used some chicken to make homemade chicken nuggets.
Mixed Chicken and chorizo in the crockpot to make enchilada and burrito filling.  It was amazing.
Orange Juice
A random frozen mystery lunch - turned out to be turkey and veggies with rice.
A lunch serving of pot roast.
Ice cream treats.

A bunch of stuff in the pantry that I didn't write down: Apple juice, can of black beans, rice, etc.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2203 on: April 16, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
This weekend:

I poured the remaining bits of sugar free ketchup and most of a jar of sugar free apricot preserves along with some spices and soy sauce into a freezer bag along with chicken breasts and tossed them in the freezer for future use.  Into a different bag, I poured teriyaki sauce with spices onto chicken breasts.  This type of prepping helps with dinner on busy nights.

Used up 1/2 cup coconut flour in a low carb biscuit recipe.

Drank the rest of the (nasty) instant coffee.

Friday night's leftover rotisserie chicken went into last night's chicken Alfredo over spaghetti squash.

Despite the low carb lifestyle, I "de-cluttered" 1/4 cup popcorn (before popping) into my belly Saturday night.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:11:41 AM by MountainGal »

savedough

• Stubble
« Reply #2204 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »
Ugh, a much slower week for using up stuff.

Out of the freezer, I think we only ended up eating some corn kernels, ice cream bars and tater tots. 

Can you tell I was the only grown-up at home this week?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #2205 on: April 24, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »
Green lentils and sticky rice are gone.  I didn't get the split peas used up before the weather turned more spring-like, so they will probably sit until next winter.

Used extra buttermilk to make a ranch style salad dressing, and used that to dress a slaw made from languishing red cabbage and jicama.

Home-canned goods are also slowly getting used up.  Have been having homemade yogurt for breakfast each day with my fruit preserves.

I'm leaving on Sunday for a 6-day work trip, so goal is to finish anything perishable before I go.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2206 on: April 26, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »
Focusing on older freezer items.  There was one last jar of a neighbor's 2016 carrot top pesto to use up.  That stuff goes a long way!  I am going to use it today and tomorrow as a sandwich condiment in cucumber subs (google it), and used the majority of it last night in leftover shredded spaghetti squash from the freezer.  It yielded two servings.  Added to the spaghetti squash was a can of chicken, a splash of heavy cream, and about 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan.

BrakeForTurtles

• Bristles
« Reply #2207 on: April 27, 2018, 12:06:35 PM »
One thing this exercise has taught me is the importance of labelling foods in the freezer! I'm making a chilli, and just pulled out two containers of what I think (and hope!) is stock, but I honestly have no idea. It doesn't help that one of the containers was labelled "Homemade hummus" when it very clearly is not. I also have another mystery container in the freezer that is a transparent yellow-orange colour. It taste a little bit tomato-y from the bit I tried, but I'm really not sure. I guess I just have to defrost it and hope I can figure it out and use it. Or just add it to a tomato-based chilli and hope it blends in.

So from now on, labels!
My journal
Join us at Camp Mustache Toronto 2018!

Tangerine  referral code (you get $50, I get $50): 44846333S1
Questrade referral code (you get $25-250, I get $25): 756526177408126

savedough

• Stubble
« Reply #2208 on: April 27, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »
Six weeks to go!

This week I used up a one lb bag of okra, frozen egg and breader making baked okra.
I used a little bit of leftover veggie breader to make zucchini.
We used 5 tiliapia filets.
My husband made burritos and wraps with some pre-shredded chicken that was in the freezer.  I have a cup and half left and I'll probably make burrito bowls with it.
We also used a raspberry lemonade, but that was easy and not really an accomplishment because I usually save it for a picnic.

Here is what I have left to use over the next six weeks:  (ranked 1-3 on challenge to use with 1 being easy and 3 being hard)
  • Two ziploc bags of breaded pork chops (1)
  • 3-4 chicken breasts (1)
  • Goulash (2)
  • Hambone (1)
  • Tilapia (1)
  • Chopped Ham (1)
  • Bacon (1)
  • 4 - Quart Bags of Bone Broth - Beef, Turkey, Chicken and a Mystery unlabeled bag (2)
  • Corn on the cob (1)
  • 8 cups of pumpkin/squash puree (3)
  • Morel mushrooms (1)
  • Okra (1)
  • Cherries (1)
  • 1 gallon bag bursting with rhubarb (3)
  • 8 cups of raspberries (2)
  • 2 12 oz bags of cranberries (3)
  • 3 bananas (3) (Only because I have one son that is allergic and I hate to bake things he can't eat and we aren't really smoothie people at my house
  • 2 TB tomato paste (1)
  • Spices: Ginger, Basil, Thyme (1)
  • Pineapple Cores (2)
  • 1 gallon bag full of Carrot Top Pesto cubes (3)
  • Sorbet (1)
  • Dairy Free Cheesecake (2) (It's not all that tasty)
  • Dairy-Free Ice Cream (1)
  • Butter Braids (2)
  • Caramel Rolls (2)
  • Cinnamon Rolls (2)
  • Cookie Treats (1)
  • Pear Butter (1)
  • Almond Flour (3)
  • Dairy Free Ice Cream Sandwiches (1)
  • Ice Cream Sandwiches (1)
  • 3 OJ concentrates (2)
  • Uncrustables (2) - Bought for quick dinners before baseball or snacks between baseball and soccer practice, but the kids would rather have fruit or something else.
  • Stir Fry Noodle Lunch pack (1)

Anyone have good recipes and uses for Pumpkin/squash puree, rhubarb, cranberries, bananas, carrot top pesto (dairy-free) or almond flour?  I have one son that is dairy and banana free, so I'd prefer if he can eat it as well.  If I make it and like it, I will let you know!

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2209 on: April 27, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
@savedough I've had good luck using soy milk in pumpkin custard. I've also been making split pea soup with lots of pumpkin purée in it. No real recipe, just broth and veggies. Sometimes I use pumpkin purée to bulk up a curry or chili. (I eat a lot of pumpkin.)

So jealous of your rhubarb! Rhubarb really shrinks when it thaws and cooks, so that gallon might not be so much, right?  Rhubarb crisp with oatmeal topping is my fav. I remember mt mom making a rhubarb sauce with red jello and granulated tapioca (no dairy). I loved it then, but don't have a recipe!

What about marzipan with the almond flour?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2210 on: April 27, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »
Anyone have good recipes and uses for Pumpkin/squash puree, rhubarb, cranberries, bananas, carrot top pesto (dairy-free) or almond flour?  I have one son that is dairy and banana free, so I'd prefer if he can eat it as well.  If I make it and like it, I will let you know!

curried pumpkin soup with coconut milk?
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

CM*TO Is a thing!! We have a few bunks left - join us in September.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

mountain mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2212 on: April 27, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »

curried pumpkin soup with coconut milk?

I love making this recipe for dairy free pumpkin custard. I don't do the crust, or the hazelnuts, just the pumpkin filling which is super rich and delicious with coconut milk

https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/spicekissed-pumpkin-pie-recipe.html

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #2213 on: April 27, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »
Here is a rhubarb upside down cake.  Maybe it could be made with coconut oil or margarine instead of butter.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #2214 on: April 28, 2018, 07:01:40 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that I am now putting away too much food for just the two of us.  We’ve been empty nesters for a few years, but I am still freezing and canning as though the kids are still here. Duh. Will give away more fresh stuff this year,maybe grow less. I have a gallon bag of frozen peach slices for dessert / yogurt before it’s rhubarb time again!

savedough

• Stubble
« Reply #2215 on: April 30, 2018, 12:37:47 PM »
I made a raspberry, rhubarb, cranberry compote to add to oatmeal and it was really good.   I used 1 cup of each (or so, I didnt measure) and a little bit of sugar and cooked on the stove.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2216 on: April 30, 2018, 01:38:18 PM »
One thing this exercise has taught me is the importance of labelling foods in the freezer! I'm making a chilli, and just pulled out two containers of what I think (and hope!) is stock, but I honestly have no idea. It doesn't help that one of the containers was labelled "Homemade hummus" when it very clearly is not. I also have another mystery container in the freezer that is a transparent yellow-orange colour. It taste a little bit tomato-y from the bit I tried, but I'm really not sure. I guess I just have to defrost it and hope I can figure it out and use it. Or just add it to a tomato-based chilli and hope it blends in.

So from now on, labels!

BrakeforT, I always think I will remember what the contents are, or at least be able to recognize them after they freeze.  Nope!  So I try and remember to use freezer tape and a Sharpie.  :D

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2217 on: May 01, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »

So from now on, labels!

I also have this problem. I once thought pureed persimmons was a pale tomato sauce. . . that made for a very interesting dinner. :-)

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #2218 on: May 04, 2018, 06:08:45 PM »
Pumpkin/winter squash puree can be substituted for oil in baked good recipes.

Also this is my all-time favorite muffin recipe:  http://joythebaker.com/2011/10/pumpkin-millet-and-chocolate-muffins/

Kerowyn

• Handlebar Stache
  • Cruella Icecrystals
« Reply #2219 on: May 16, 2018, 10:41:01 AM »
I'm joining back in on this thread. We're moving in just over a month--it's just down the street so transporting our food will be easy enough, but I'd rather clear out the freezer and minimize what we have!

Started out by getting the frozen summer squash out to put in my smoothie. Most of it is shriveled and gross, so I actually threw out all but a few pieces that went in the blender, but that's progress. I also looked at a half-used bag of frozen kale, but it's pretty much a solid mass, so I'll have my husband use that in a soup. I had more protein powder than I thought, so about half of it went in the blender and I'll save the other half for another smoothie.

Does anyone have suggestions for some old hulled sunflower seeds (they could go in a smoothie, but I'm unenthusiastic about the prospect)?

Is it OK to eat sweet potatoes that have lushly sprouted? And if not, should I plant them in the yard of my new house?
Kerowyn's musical reference wins the prize for top post today. As in overall, for the whole internet.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/writing-my-way-to-freedom-(kerowyn's-journal)/

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2220 on: May 16, 2018, 10:48:48 AM »
@Kerowyn I sprinkle sunflower seeds on everything.  Salads and oatmeal are great.  I also toss them in muffins or banana bread. 

OtherJen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2221 on: May 16, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »
@savedough , Elana's Pantry has lots of good almond flour recipes, including this paleo pumpkin bread: https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-pumpkin-bread/

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2222 on: May 17, 2018, 08:43:06 PM »
We used up chicken enchiladas & lasagna from the freezer. Next up - a ton of pesto in the freezer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2223 on: May 19, 2018, 11:27:17 AM »
Repurposed leftover kid breakfast today, & turned eggs into a wrap (using the remains of feta from a salad kit) + hot sauce. Also ate kiddo leftover fruit. Need to work through the freezer again!

Kerowyn

• Handlebar Stache
  • Cruella Icecrystals
« Reply #2224 on: May 20, 2018, 06:19:57 PM »
@Kerowyn I sprinkle sunflower seeds on everything.  Salads and oatmeal are great.  I also toss them in muffins or banana bread.

Oh, I have oatmeal every day, I should toss in a few sunflower seeds! Thanks!

I'm not a big jam eater but, inspired by this thread, I had one of my two pieces of toast with jam today. That used up the jar of jam.
Kerowyn's musical reference wins the prize for top post today. As in overall, for the whole internet.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/writing-my-way-to-freedom-(kerowyn's-journal)/