Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1186252 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1650 on: April 06, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »

Ohh for breakfast this morning I made hubs a Cauliflower milkshake!! I had my doubts, so I used some cocoa from the stash. He said the most distracting parts of it were the bits of date that didn't get totally blended. The first sip was a little odd, but after that, it was pretty good. by the end of it, Hubs was wondering if you could indeed trick someone if they didn't know it had cauliflower in it. I could still taste it a bit, but I have super sensitive taste buds.

Thank you!  I still have a couple packages of cauliflower rice in the freezer and will be doing lots of breakfast smoothies in the near future, so this is perfect!

Question:  has anyone ever cooked with hops?  Even if I do get back into brewing, our hops produce way more than I could ever use, and I can't seem to give them away.  I heard something not too long ago about cooking them as a vegetable, but I'm skeptical.  It would be great if there's a way to make them taste good.  I use a few in kombucha and that's about it right now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:57:54 AM by horsepoor »

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #1651 on: April 06, 2017, 06:30:41 PM »
We had a turkey in the freezer that we didn't use for Thanksgiving--in 2015.  After 4 days of thawing, it finally got cooked on Tuesday, and now we're eating turkey for every meal.  A side benefit was that I used up all kinds of odds and ends of frozen bread for stuffing!

In case anyone wonders how an 18-month turkey tasted, it was very good.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1652 on: April 06, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »
The black bean sauce is finished in a mishmash bowl of ground beef, cauliflower puree, onion, eggplant, and a fried egg on top.  Plus a bit of sriracha. 

I also finished a box of tea.

A package of bacon is defrosting in the fridge.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #1653 on: April 08, 2017, 04:21:54 AM »
I'm trying to get completely empty in the next few days, except for: sweeteners, olive oil or spices. Makes no sense to binge those, as I'll just need to replace it right away as I use them pretty much daily.

What I have left:
Drinks: coffee, tea, milk (I won't replace these, I want to switch to water only)
Breakfast/lunch: bread, peanut butter, chocolate sprinkles (hagelslag ftw!), jam and yogurt
Dinner: couple of red onions, rice, chicory veg, spinach
Other: popsicles (I'll miss you, popsicles...)

I'm already down to the bare basics, so my diet will be sparse the next few days! It'll be a nice experiment to simplify and clear out the fridge and cupboards at the same time. Think I'll be empty by Wednesday!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1654 on: April 08, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »
This morning I decided that I would have some of the polenta that was left over from my work lunches, some spinach and eggs on top.

I remembered that I was almost finished some of my spicy dukkah (a blend of salt, herbs, sesame seeds and hazelnuts), so I dashed a generous amount on top.  I took a few bites, and it was much spicier than I remembered.  I wondered if maybe it had settled, and the bottom had more pepper flakes in it.  I pulled out most of the visible pepper seeds, and finished my breakfast.  There wasn't much left in the container, so I mixed the remaining with some regular dukkah.

This evening I looked at my spices, trying to decide whether to add anything to the zucchini fritters, and noticed my spicy dukkah was still there.  Missing?  My red chili flakes which had been in the same style of container. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1655 on: April 09, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »

I remembered that I was almost finished some of my spicy dukkah (a blend of salt, herbs, sesame seeds and hazelnuts), so I dashed a generous amount on top.  I took a few bites, and it was much spicier than I remembered.  I wondered if maybe it had settled, and the bottom had more pepper flakes in it.  I pulled out most of the visible pepper seeds, and finished my breakfast.  There wasn't much left in the container, so I mixed the remaining with some regular dukkah.

This evening I looked at my spices, trying to decide whether to add anything to the zucchini fritters, and noticed my spicy dukkah was still there.  Missing?  My red chili flakes which had been in the same style of container.
Whoops!

Finally went grocery shopping, we were out of too many things that helped us use up other things.

Used up a bunch of stuff yesterday, wandered down to the cold room and discovered I have two jars of Turkish pepper paste I didn't know I had and have been doing without. I use it a LOT, so yay for finding more, but darn, I could have been using it this whole time.

We have a bunch of dried peppers to use up. Hubs loves Mexican and was into experimenting for a while, then we got busy and haven't been back to them. So I made the marinade for this Taco al Pastor http://keviniscooking.com/al-pastor/ But I didn't include the pineapple in the marinade since last time I used pineapple in jerky it broke the meat down too much, not pleasant. But I am planning on cooking it in the crockpot so I'll just stick the pineapple in the bottom. Uses up a pork roast from the freezer :)

Want to experiment making some hot sauces as well. This recipe intrigues me: http://mjskitchen.com/2017/04/chile-de-arbol-hot-sauce/ Just don't want to make it when the pups are around, so we may try and do an outdoor set-up or wait till we have our basement kitchen back.

I've also been using up nettle, raspberry leaf and various herbal tea/dried fruit blends making iced tea, which if thte weather yesterday...not so much today. *sigh*

Plan for today:

Cooking some sweet potatoes for the week

Make a batch of granola

Cook those tasteless apples with a boat load of spices to have with Granola for Hub's Breakfast this week.

Make bacon potato roses and breakfast for dinner. https://www.facebook.com/NTDTelevision/videos/1596438150398289/

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1656 on: April 09, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »
Used up:
last onion,
can of black beans, and
package to make a pizza crust.

I bought a lot of vegetables and cheese at the grocery store on Friday.  I need to make sure I eat all of them before we leave for vacation next week. 

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #1657 on: April 10, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »
The date and almond energy balls are a hit. Tested out the coconut-lime ones last week and they were even tastier. On the good side: my ancient dates gets a good use. On the other side: now they might become a staple in my house. We'll see. I'll try replacing them with the figs later.

Tonight, in the effort of finding good, flourless and nutritional snack I'm making chickpea chocolate cake. I've tried (and liked) black bean ones before. I wonder how this compares.

I'm also on the last bits and bobs of last years frozen berries and elderberry cordial.

Edit: update on the chickpea-cake. This is genious! I love chickpea-cake! Next time I'll ad some coffee and maybe some hazelnuts..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:57:51 PM by Anje »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1658 on: April 10, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »
Today I decided to use up some items in my pantry and freezer to make a mish-mash kale salad.  I used up a bag of barley from my pantry and a bag of sweet potatoes from my freezer.  I also found more coconut in my pantry, so I made more cocoa-coconut macaroons. 

This weekend I used up 3 tins of tea!  I made a huge jug of iced tea for the week, so I have that waiting for me in the fridge. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1659 on: April 11, 2017, 12:08:10 PM »
Anje, those energy balls sound delicious!

4alpacas, that's a lot of tea!  Great job!

We are down to 2 chicken breasts, 3 Atkins meals, and a bag of cauliflower in the freezer.  Other than ice packs and ice, that's it.  There are still about 18 cans in the pantry left.  I did use a can of tuna and of corn yesterday.  I'll buy an Easter ham later this week, and have found several recipes which will use up leftover ham, a few cans broth, and some coconut flour next week.

We have 12 days to get the things out of our house before the professional cleaner comes.  We sell on the 28th, and have been actively looking for a new home.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:13:15 PM by MountainGal »

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1660 on: April 11, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
We are down to 2 chicken breasts, 3 Atkins meals, and a bag of cauliflower in the freezer.  Other than ice packs and ice, that's it.  There are still about 18 cans in the pantry left.  I did use a can of tuna and of corn yesterday.  I'll buy an Easter ham later this week, and have found several recipes which will use up leftover ham, a few cans broth, and some coconut flour next week.

We have 12 days to get the things out of our house before the professional cleaner comes.  We sell on the 28th, and have been actively looking for a new home.
Good luck executing your plan!! 

Even though my food storage is trending down, I struggle to stop acquiring new cans and other "stuff."  My DH and I are horrible impulse shoppers, and we've cut our grocery bill over 75% by getting our groceries delivered ($5-$10 depending on time).  However, I've been lazy and allowed old habits to creep back in.  It probably only amounts to an extra $100/month, but the extra groceries are cluttering our pantry, fridge, and freezer.

Thank you!

And, I hear you about acquiring new items:  I made the mistake of looking at downloadable coupons this morning on our local grocer's website.  So many deals!  Expiring soon!  Act now!  I must refrain.  ;)  It will be fun, and interesting, to eventually restock at our new home.

Sounds like the grocery delivery helps you folks.  My BFF uses that service and loves it.  My very, very busy sister uses the Wally World curbside service and loves that service, too.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1661 on: April 11, 2017, 02:02:11 PM »
A co-worker had a bad day on Monday, so I brought in a batch of brownies today.  That used up the last 3 oz of semi-sweet baking chocolate.  I still have some bitter baking chocolate in the tin, and some chocolate chips, but it feels like the end of an era to know I'm not planning to replace it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1662 on: April 11, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »

Even though my food storage is trending down, I struggle to stop acquiring new cans and other "stuff."  My DH and I are horrible impulse shoppers, and we've cut our grocery bill over 75% by getting our groceries delivered ($5-$10 depending on time).  However, I've been lazy and allowed old habits to creep back in.  It probably only amounts to an extra $100/month, but the extra groceries are cluttering our pantry, fridge, and freezer.

Thank you!

And, I hear you about acquiring new items:  I made the mistake of looking at downloadable coupons this morning on our local grocer's website.  So many deals!  Expiring soon!  Act now!  I must refrain.  ;)  It will be fun, and interesting, to eventually restock at our new home.

Sounds like the grocery delivery helps you folks.  My BFF uses that service and loves it.  My very, very busy sister uses the Wally World curbside service and loves that service, too.
I'm ashamed to admit how much we used to spend on groceries (~$800-$1k/month for 2 people...and we ate out a lot!).  We were hovering around $200/month, but we've inched up to $300.  Our grocery bill includes anything we buy at the grocery store--dog food, shampoo, etc.  I'm not frustrated with how much we spend, but I dislike the shelves of items we don't use.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1663 on: April 11, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »

Thank you!

I'm ashamed to admit how much we used to spend on groceries (~$800-$1k/month for 2 people...and we ate out a lot!).  We were hovering around $200/month, but we've inched up to $300.  Our grocery bill includes anything we buy at the grocery store--dog food, shampoo, etc.  I'm not frustrated with how much we spend, but I dislike the shelves of items we don't use.

Similar situation here:  It's just DH and I, though no furry family members, LOL.  Before following this way of life, I used to spend $550+ a month on groceries.  Now with coupons and shopping the sales, I average $300, and it includes HBAs, soap, etc.  DH supplements during the month with fresh produce, coconut milk, and a few odds and ends for his lunches.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1664 on: April 11, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
A co-worker had a bad day on Monday, so I brought in a batch of brownies today.  That used up the last 3 oz of semi-sweet baking chocolate.  I still have some bitter baking chocolate in the tin, and some chocolate chips, but it feels like the end of an era to know I'm not planning to replace it.
Very kind of you, pjane!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1665 on: April 13, 2017, 07:42:18 AM »
I finished off two bottles of herbal supplements.  An elderberry and a mix with mullien and ... stuff.  Both supposed to help fight off colds and reduce allergy symptoms.  Both just a liiiittle bit past their best by date. Did they work?  I don't know!?  I only got one cold this winter (which is when I got inspired to use them up).  I have been suffering less allergy symptoms than my peers.  We'll see if my symptoms increase since finishing them.

BF did buy two bottles of vitamin c, so my cupboard is just as full.  urg.

I restocked on black beans last night, but talked myself out of molasses and cocoa and some other things I consider staples.  I don't need them this week, so I'll wait a little while.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1666 on: April 13, 2017, 08:25:39 AM »
talked myself out of molasses and cocoa and some other things I consider staples.  I don't need them this week, so I'll wait a little while.

I have been trying to do this. When I run out of staples, I'll write them on the list, but I won't go buy them until I have something specific in mind I want to make with it. I'm discovering a lot fo my "staples" I can find substitutes for, or aren't something I actually use as much as I thought I did because of tastes or diet restrictions, seasons etc. change things like that.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1667 on: April 13, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
Doing pretty OK over here!  Today I made a nice Instant Pot soup with white beans, Christmas ham and onions that need to be used up.  I'm trying to get my veggie consumption back up, so that's bringing the grocery bill up a bit, but the cabinets continue to get emptier.  I've started doing smoothies for breakfast and was able to mix the last of the egg white protein in with the vanilla protein powder, which emptied out another canister.  Chia seeds are going in each smoothie, and I'm looking forward to seeing the bottom of that container.  Life has been a little bit crazy, so haven't had much mental space for getting creative with meals, but also haven't had time to shop for anything other than stuff we'll use right away, so I guess it balances out.  In the FAIL category, I bought a gallon of milk on sale and made a big batch of yogurt.  Part of it I made into labneh, and that is starting to turn before I got around to eating it.  Hoping the yogurt is packaged airtight enough that it keeps longer.  Also in the FAIL category, I wasted almost two bunches of kale by not using them in time.  When I pulled them out for the soup this morning, about 3/4 of the leaves had gone bad.  Hopefully this weekend I can get my head out of my ass and do a meal plan so that doesn't happen again.

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1668 on: April 14, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
This is a great challenge!!! I just stumbled on this and I love it already. Last night my bf and I wanted to have thai red curry but then we didn't have red peppers and we have a bad habit of going to the grocery store (since it is a walk away) whenever we don't have anything. But last night we decided enough is enough(trying to get our grocery budget under 150 per month),we decided to use what we had and it was honestly the best meal before than the thai red curry. He made some schnitzel using the chicken and it was amazing!!!!

Now we are joining this challenge if eating all the food we have left since we may be moving out of state soon.

JohannaP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1669 on: April 14, 2017, 10:16:48 AM »
Moving out of state soon (2 months).  Have heard about the challenge before, but have a good reason to get on it now! 

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1670 on: April 14, 2017, 08:19:05 PM »
I've been MIA for a bit, mostly because I was having a baby!  He's two weeks old now and I had saved some meal sized portions in the freezer for when we're not feeling up to cooking as frequently, but we've only used a few.  A friend gave us a free Hello Fresh box, and I wasn't going to pass up free food, but it means a pause in most of the eating down of food.

However, in the past week I have used-
-a box of orange Jello
-a half a bag of frozen corn and a block of cheese in some cornbread
-a bag of butternut squash and a package of corn tortillas in an enchilada casserole
-a box of elbow macaroni in mac and cheese
-a bag of cucumbers in a cucumber vinegar salad
-a bag of frozen green beans

I also struggle with not adding to the pantry and freezer.  We went to Costco and I replaced a bag of salmon and a bag of mahi mahi that I had used up.  They are staples for us, but eating fish means we're not eating other things we could be using up!

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #1671 on: April 14, 2017, 08:55:28 PM »
I've been MIA for a bit, mostly because I was having a baby!  He's two weeks old now and I had saved some meal sized portions in the freezer for when we're not feeling up to cooking as frequently, but we've only used a few.  A friend gave us a free Hello Fresh box, and I wasn't going to pass up free food, but it means a pause in most of the eating down of food.

However, in the past week I have used-
-a box of orange Jello
-a half a bag of frozen corn and a block of cheese in some cornbread
-a bag of butternut squash and a package of corn tortillas in an enchilada casserole
-a box of elbow macaroni in mac and cheese
-a bag of cucumbers in a cucumber vinegar salad
-a bag of frozen green beans

I also struggle with not adding to the pantry and freezer.  We went to Costco and I replaced a bag of salmon and a bag of mahi mahi that I had used up.  They are staples for us, but eating fish means we're not eating other things we could be using up!
Congrats on the newborn!

I have freed up some space in the fridge, and the freezer too. Just checked, and I have 6 bags of frozen spinach I did not know I had. Next's week project will be to consume those puppies.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1672 on: April 15, 2017, 03:12:55 AM »
I just filled up the fridge and freezer, because we're having a guest over for a week and two free days with shops closed. There is also fishsoup in the fridge. We ate from it once and had a lot left over. I froze half of it and the rest is in a very large pan in the fridge waiting for the guest. At least I did some sensible shopping and bought cheap products.

For the using up, yesterday I baked two breads and used up some old ingredients. Today I will bake an easter bread. I had to buy two ingredients, but can use up several older ingredients that are not past the date.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1673 on: April 15, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
I thought I was done!

Found 20 or more ancient plain gelatin packets. Maybe I'll just add them to juice or tea and drink some daily until they are gone.  It's supposed to be really good for your hair skin and nails. I could use that.

Any other ideas that aren't marshmallows?

I wonder if I could add a packet to my stir fry sauce to thicken it?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1674 on: April 15, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
You can make jello with powdered gelatin and fruit juice, and there are some desserts that use gelatin for thickening.  I read here that boiling gelatin will make it lose effectiveness, so I don't think it would do all that well in a stir fry.

Also according to the above link, gelatin "lasts forever" so any date on it has to do with packaging. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1675 on: April 15, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »
Love seeing all the progress!

Welcome, Abooki and  JohannaP!

Yay for baby! congrats, Simple Cycle!

So I always suspected but I totally get my food hoarding instincts from my mom. She was telling me how she organized her pantry and created a spreadsheet and cross-referenced her 19, yes 19! food storage buckets. Apparently, she has 3 separate 5 lb bags of raisins from as far back as 2012, and she keeps buying them because she didn't know she had them. It makes me feel a little better that this may be genetic :)

Yesterday used up some frozen Brussel sprouts, the last bit of coleslaw I'd made, some random veg from the fridge and some rice noodles to make a pretty tasty stir-fry when we forgot to plan dinner yesterday. This would have been a good excuse to go out, but this was pretty darn tasty.

I was shocked to discover we had run out of coffee beans! Don't think we are going to run out and restock we have enough other caffeine sources.

I've got our last duck thawing, will cook it at some point this weekend whenever it is ready to go.

Hope you all have a successful "use it up!" weekend!

SomatoseVisions

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1676 on: April 15, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »
PMG, not sure what your food preferences are, but I second Geekette's dessert recommendation. I've been toying with the idea of making panna cotta for a while, but when the occasion calls for dessert SO always requests a pie.

Here's a recipe I've my eye on for reference: https://food52.com/recipes/22294-creme-fraiche-panna-cotta-with-fresh-berries-and-herbs

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1677 on: April 15, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
PMG, not sure what your food preferences are, but I second Geekette's dessert recommendation. I've been toying with the idea of making panna cotta for a while, but when the occasion calls for dessert SO always requests a pie.

Here's a recipe I've my eye on for reference: https://food52.com/recipes/22294-creme-fraiche-panna-cotta-with-fresh-berries-and-herbs

Panna cotta is dead simple and tasty! And I always forget about it! Thanks for the inspiration - think we'll do this using homemade coconut milk for Easter.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1678 on: April 15, 2017, 12:27:55 PM »
That looks delicious. Thanks.  Not sure I want to buy lots of heavy dairy ingredients but I'll keep it in mind. We do have some special occasions coming up. 

I mixed one with tea and drank it. Meh. Not the worst thing.

I may make the fruit juice finger jello and use up several packets at once.

Confession: I have to throw out a slice and half of bread and
A half cup of pasta sauce. Sadness. I've been so good at not wasting food.

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #1679 on: April 15, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
I am joining in on eating all the food in our house, because we are moving in 6 weeks! Tonight I'm making posole to use up some pork broth and tortillas in the freezer. I've been doing pretty good on the dry goods as well, but we still have tons of canned goods that will need using. Specifically black beans, canned tomatoes, canned olives, canned corn, coconut milk, some white beans. Maybe some kind of chili or black bean soup?

We are also down to the last few pounds of the 30 pounds of green coffee beans we bought at costco (for ~3$ a pound) in January of 2016.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1680 on: April 15, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
I found a good use for some fancy olive oil that we had gotten as a gift a year and a half ago. I use it in a pesto made from wild garlic that I picked yesterday.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1681 on: April 15, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »
Some creative uses for gelatin, with recipes, in this article: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/how-to-use-gelatin-better-stock-sauce-dessert.html

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1682 on: April 15, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »
I ate all the ice cream in the house.  #feelingaccomplished

Tonight I'm making a pesto fried rice with leftover leg of lamb chopped up in it.  It should use up some random bits of vegetables and some cubes of beef stock too.  I've been kind of stingy with my frozen pesto stash from last summer, and suddenly realized that we still have lots, so I'm putting it in everything.  Maybe it will be more of a risotto than a fried rice.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1683 on: April 16, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »
Finished my jar of dulce de leche with my latest cup of tea. Also unexpectedly & undesirably finished my last can of coconut milk. That will be replaced shortly.

I'm out most of this week, so the SO will be eating down the freezer stash of pulled pork, and perhaps some curry, along with some frozen vegetables.

ETA: and my jar of ginger jam is done too. I haven't decided which jam to open next.  Probably the fig & ginger jam from NZ I bought last year.
We did _not_ bring home any Easter leftovers this year, not even the ham, which is a huge step for me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:10:16 PM by plainjane »

Singularity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1684 on: April 16, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
I'm joining the club to eat all of my pantry.  I have three cans of Salmon I have no idea how to make.  What do you recommend?

Bumble Bee
Wild Pink Salmon, 14.75oz each  (a little skin included)

P.S. It is wise and safe to each Tomato Soup/Mushroom Soup that expired in 2012?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1685 on: April 16, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »
I'm joining the club to eat all of my pantry.  I have three cans of Salmon I have no idea how to make.  What do you recommend?

Bumble Bee

P.S. It is wise and safe to each Tomato Soup/Mushroom Soup that expired in 2012?

It has been ages ago since I ate canned salmon. But in my childhood we used to get this in christmas relation packages from my father's customers.
I used to make it in a salad. Just leak out the salmon and remove bones and skinn. Cut some silver onions, or a challot union fine and mix it. Add pickeled cucumber, finely cut. Add mayonaise, tabasco and something salty, like a dash of soy sauce and mix. Serve on toast as a snack in the evening. Or as a salad at dinner.

How is the soup? Is it in powder form? In that case I would try. If canned, I know that some people in Norway eat canned meat that is decades past the experation date. Maybe use your nose as an indicator?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:17:05 AM by Linda_Norway »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #1687 on: April 16, 2017, 05:03:55 PM »

Bumble Bee

I like to make a salmon salad that is canned salmon, mayonnaise, dill, and diced tomato. Perhaps a little salt and pepper. It's excellent on bread or crackers, and makes a good appetizer or dip to bring to a BBQ.

I would also suggest making it into patties (probably with some bread crumbs and egg to hold it together) and making salmon burgers.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1688 on: April 17, 2017, 08:03:45 AM »

Bumble Bee

Google tuna cakes and make it with salmon instead.  Here is one that uses sweet potato http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes  I would just form them and pan fry or bake on a cookie sheet though.  When I made them in muffin tins they stuck horribly despite oiling the pan.

Re: the soup.  Honestly, 5 years expired might be a little much for me.  But if the can isn't dented/bulging/rusty, you can open it, see how it looks and smells, and if OK, give it a try.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1689 on: April 17, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
Maybe try your hand at sushi with the canned salmon?  :)

Lately:  I combined two boxes of tea envelopes into one, tossed who knows how old sugar and other packets, used up the non-dairy creamer in Easter au gratin potatoes, the canola for cooking hash browns, and 3 more cans.  In the Crock Pot today are the remaining chicken breasts, and the last of the peanut butter.

We move out and into a hotel this Sunday, the cleaners come next Mon and Tues, and we close Friday.  :D  To pack will be about 15 cans, a few baking items, and spices.  Worthy refrigerated condiments will be kept here at my office.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:44:40 PM by MountainGal »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1690 on: April 17, 2017, 03:00:20 PM »
Way to go, MountainGal, So excited for you!

I've got some curry base thawing and some chicken breast. and some lentils cooking. Going to make a big pot of butter chicken and dahl. Hoping to get some meals into the freezer for Hubs when I am away the beginning of May.

For breakfast yesterday I made buckwheat Banana pancakes with some chopped up 80% dark chocolate I found in the back of the drawer.

Also trying to make these Gluten-free cinnamon raisin Bagels. Will report back if they are any good :) http://meaningfuleats.com/buckwheat-cinnamon-raisin-bagels-gluten-free-vegan/ I emptied one jar of ground flax and started on the next.

I've been continuing to make coconut bars out of my pulp from making coconut milk. Basically mixing the pulp with some chia seeds, cocoa and melting together coconut oil, a tiny bit of honey and nut butter. After combining, I press it into a pan and pop in the fridge. We like Tahini the best so far. Tastes like chocolate Halva. Hubs likes a bar for lunch with a few cashews, raisins and cocoa nibs sprinkled across the top.

The cool thing about this is we have brought down the cost of making our coconut milk to .13 a cup. That isn't including using the pulp, so if I am using it, we are getting even more, bang for our buck!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1691 on: April 17, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »

Also trying to make these Gluten-free cinnamon raisin Bagels. Will report back if they are any good :) http://meaningfuleats.com/buckwheat-cinnamon-raisin-bagels-gluten-free-vegan/ I emptied one jar of ground flax and started on the next.

A hole in bread does not a bagel make. However, I knew that when I decided to test the recipe. I wasn't sure on how satisfying they would be as a gluten-free baked good. So I decided to try the recipe as is and not worry about the extra step of boiling the bagels before cooking them. As a gluten-free substitute, I'm very impressed. Next time I'll try boiling them.

Extra bonus points because they allow me to use up yeast, which I haven't really been using at all since going GF - and the bag I have is still good! Also allows me to use up my supply of flax and psyllium and I always have buckwheat on hand. So pretty good experiment!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1692 on: April 18, 2017, 05:26:05 PM »
I am, once again, drowning in unopened bottles of wine.

As soon as I give someone a bottle or invite people over to drink some of my stash, my boss turns around and gives me more for Easter. And I don't drink the stuff!

I took half a dozen bottles home to my parents and implored them to drink it, cook with it, give it away, whatever inspires them.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1693 on: April 18, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »

As soon as I give someone a bottle or invite people over to drink some of my stash, my boss turns around and gives me more for Easter. And I don't drink the stuff!

I took half a dozen bottles home to my parents and implored them to drink it, cook with it, give it away, whatever inspires them.

Somehow, I never have this problem. :)

I ate the last box of gluten free Mac and Cheese today and won't buy it again.  The texture is off and homemade takes almost the same amount of time and is so much better.  Plus I have a box and a half of GF elbows to clear out of the pantry.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1694 on: April 19, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »

Somehow, I never have this problem. :)

+1, LOL!

Used up the rest of the olive oil last night.  One more less thing to move this weekend.  :D  I also made a dent in the leftover ham and the Kerry butter purchased last month when making last night's ham and cauliflower fritters.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1695 on: April 19, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »

Why don't you make vinegar of it?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1696 on: April 19, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »
Ended up with some unexpected time today do to a client cancelation, so more time to make dinner!

I'm making a curried Sweet potato soup with roasted sweet potato, curry base and duck stock from the freezer.

figured I'd also try and adapt that bagel recipe to savory bagels and do the whole boiling thing. I've got some cheese and some chipotle in adobo to use up so that'll be the flavour base. Also took out the last package of Turkey bacon from the freezer. So we'll have bagels and soup, or maybe bagel breakfast sandwiches and have the soup for Hubby's lunch + dinner tomorrow.

I'd like to see if we can stretch the grocery shopping to see if there is anything good in the flyers (starts Fri) as there wasn't anything remotely worth going out for last weekend. The cool thing about using everything up and tracking is I know exactly what I'm looking for now and that saves a bunch of time and money :D

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1697 on: April 19, 2017, 09:17:07 PM »
Got rid of two packets of ramen used in tonight's dinner.  It was quite good!  Beef, veggies, ramen, and a soy-ginger sauce.

I cleaned out the fridge and had to throw away some forgotten vegetables and leftover beans.  Organized what's left to use it up.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #1698 on: April 20, 2017, 03:17:25 AM »
In my quest to use up my old bag of dessicated cocnut I've ended up needing to buy more. Turns out it's lovely boiled with rice, very good in addition to oat for breading, tasty in energy balls and all around a thing I want to keep around. Without this "use it up" project none of these tasty treats would have been discovered - so thank you all for inspiration.

I've also realiced that my favourite nuts are hazelnuts. By far the cheapest (excepting peanuts) and so good in a homemade trailmix with rasins (splurge with some dark chocolate and it's like a nutella-trailmix)

During easter I gained some leftover roasted lamb - will use it in a minestrone tonight.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1699 on: April 20, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
In my quest to use up my old bag of dessicated cocnut I've ended up needing to buy more. Turns out it's lovely boiled with rice, very good in addition to oat for breading, tasty in energy balls and all around a thing I want to keep around. Without this "use it up" project none of these tasty treats would have been discovered - so thank you all for inspiration.

I've also realiced that my favourite nuts are hazelnuts. By far the cheapest (excepting peanuts) and so good in a homemade trailmix with rasins (splurge with some dark chocolate and it's like a nutella-trailmix)

Ohh so many good ideas for coconut! Yay! I'm working on a 25 lb box :D I make my own coconut milk and am dairy-free so it is just a staple in our house, but I'm always looking for new ways to use it! The rice sounds AMAZING.

Hazelnuts are the cheapest nuts for you? Right, your not in the US, AUS? I have a hard time keeping track of where everyone is from :) One of my favorite things about living in Turkey was how Hazelnuts were in everything! Although having Fistoberlik for breakfast (it's basically ground up hazelnuts and sugar) every morning as part of breakfast probably wasn't great for me.

Didn't get a chance to make Bagels yesterday, I got sidetracked with other work. That's okay though, means I can do it today and don't have to come up with a new idea for dinner. 

Guys, Thai curry paste. Hit me up with your best ideas - please! I have red, green, yellow, massaman and sour (tamarind) curry pastes in HUGE quantities. A TINY jar of red curry paste here is like 6-7 dollars so (quite a few) years ago we went Stateside and I found a little Thai grocery store and bought ALL the curry pastes.

And we love the stuff, but it turns out you don't need more than a tablespoon or two in a full batch of curry. It doesn't really go bad since it is just salt and chilies and aromatics, and I have a ton to use.  I'll sometimes use it as a soup base like I did last night, and we'll make coconut curries quite often - but I need more creative ideas. At this point, I'll have enough curry paste for the rest of the decade!