Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1183599 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #900 on: September 01, 2016, 03:09:55 PM »
I think the nori is fine to eat pretty much indefinitely, but it might lose its crispness.  In that case, you might put it in a miso soup or something.

I've been pretty proud of my lack of grocery shopping this month.

Finally used up a jar of Almond butter that had gotten kind of dried out.

Excited that the temperature is dropping this weekend and I can justify making soups.  Corn green chile chowder is going to be on the menu since I grew sweet corn and we only ate two as corn on the cob.  Now it's sat around and gotten starchy.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #901 on: September 01, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »
Thank you, horsepoor.  And your chowder sounds delicious!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #902 on: September 01, 2016, 08:09:47 PM »
Many of you have been doing this for weeks, but we are starting this as of this month.  We have to a) make room for half a cow at the end of this month, and b) spend less than normal in our grocery budget to help accomodate the extra large expense of the beef order this month.  Also, friends of ours were pcsing, and our parents were in town last week.  Our parents left us with random items that were partway used by them, plus food items they brought and didn't use, and our friends gave us a whole bunch of stuff that was partially used that the movers wouldn't move.  So needless to say, tons of random foodstuffs in this house....

Todays lunches: extra eggs made into egg salad and put on sandwiches
Tonights Dinner:t pork chops with gllaze and smashed potatoes with leftover parmesan cheese, milk and butter.  Yummy! 

Tomorrow: Probably leftovers from both of today's meals ...lol

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #903 on: September 04, 2016, 10:27:43 PM »
Well, I haven't been quite as on top of it this past week as I would have liked to have been, but I'm still making progress:

• Used up two sample packs of flavored coffee instead of my normal morning coffee
  • Using up frozen bananas (which I seem to have about 1000 of) and the GINORMOUS bottle of chocolate protein powder in the cupboard to make chocolate peanut butter banana smoothies for breakfast on workout days (which is exactly what I bought the damn protein powder for, but for whatever reason got out of the habit)
  • Used some ancient cake mix in the cupboard to make cupcakes for hubby to take to an event. I pretty much never make us desert type things because I try to avoid sugary junk food, but many moons ago I got in the habit of grabbing cake mix or brownie mix on sale just to keep on hand for when we needed something easy to take to pot lucks or other events. Well, apparently we haven't been very social because I've had two cake mixes in the cupboard forEVER.
  • Rediscovered a jar of pickle spears in the fridge and ate one with my veggie burger. Vowed to eat pickles on burger night until they're gone.
  • Today I made crockpot carnitas for tacos, using a big pork roast and some of the can of chipotle chiles from the cupboard. Unfortunately, the recipe only used 2 chiles, so I've got about 8 more chiles in the fridge. And I now have another 3 meals worth of leftover carnitas in the freezer. So at this rate, I'll need what... 19 more Taco Tuesdays to use up all those chiles? Ay carumba!

The good news is I've found some more lentil recipes to try (as I mentioned upthread I have seven jars of lentils in the cupboard)... the bad news is I found even more lentils in the garage. Yes that's right, I have a utility shelf full of food in the garage that serves as my extended pantry.

Grocery shopping this weekend was mostly a success. While I spent almost $100, $40 of that was personal and cleaning stuff - I figure since I'm saving so much on food I should go ahead and replenish a few dwindling non-food items and CVS had some good deals. As for food stuff, I mainly got produce and dairy, but I did buy one large package of chicken drumsticks, 2 bottles of soy sauce, and several bottles of salad dressing because they were on sale and I had coupons. The drumsticks will be part of using other things up, so I kind of had to buy them, right? :) We are actually starting to get low on meat so I've called off the meat moratorium for now.

For the upcoming week, I'll be making a large batch of chicken fried rice to use up leftover rice from the fridge, trying a new Quinoa Pizza Casserole recipe to make a dent in the quinoa, and some copycat El Pollo Loco chicken to use up some pineapple juice in the freezer. And of course more smoothies and pickles.

My goal for shopping is to keep it to about $25-$30 per week for the rest of the month. That should allow me to get plenty of produce and a normal, reasonable, sane person amount of meat when it is on sale, and still come in under $200 for the month. Apparently we have lots more vet bills this month (doggy is in the ER tonight :'(   )so it will help to keep groceries down again.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #904 on: September 05, 2016, 04:04:13 PM »
It is a long time since I have visited the forum regularly.  It is fun to jump back in.

After my dh went on a special diet a few months ago our grocery bill skyrocketed.  August was the first month I was able to get it down to 2/3 of the highest amount.

What I did was to look at what I was buying and what was in the cupboard and realised that I kept buying odd things we do not usually eat like specialty black pasta or cream cheese or miso.  And that was putting our bill up.

I also had a major money talk with dh.  I think he is better understanding that there is a monthly limit and that one way we can have more money for personal spending is to spend less on groceries.  Before that he would do things like buy a ribeye roast or a piece of salmon without looking at the price and then consume 1/2 a pound to 1 pound of meat at a sitting. (sigh).  Now he is settling in to this new way.

In August I took out everything in the pantry and finally threw away a few things that were probably 8 years old including several boxes of tea (15?) that were from a friend's pantry and she had been given them by someone else who was clearing out.

Now I can see things in my pantry and can easily figure out what to buy and what we have handy.  It feels great, thanks to all of you!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #905 on: September 05, 2016, 10:30:51 PM »
It is a long time since I have visited the forum regularly.  It is fun to jump back in.

Welcome back wintersun, missed you around the forums!

I spent the morning organizing my pantry and cold room, so I at least have a better idea of what I have. Not buying anything other than fresh veggies and fruit for the foreseeable future. I gathered up all our various dried fruits and stuck them in one easy to pull out container so hopefully hubby knows where and what to grab instead of just opening whatever package is closest and having it end up in various spots in the kitchen.

I have 1 and a half-empty shelves in the pantry, that was overflowing this morning! As an added bonus I found two "make your own cheese kits" that were gifted to us, and a set of cute cheese knives also gifted to us. They ended up there because I can't eat dairy anymore. Together they would make a totally cute Christmas gift for a friend of ours who would LOVE it.

Hubby has been helping use up pantry things and made oat farls for his breakfast tomorrow.

Although we did just come home with a tote full of apples, and another of pears and MIL asked us if we wanted a case of plums. Very glad we have a big dehydrator!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #906 on: September 06, 2016, 08:48:06 AM »
Did pretty well clearing excess foodstuffs this holiday weekend...

Used up ice cream that had been sitting in our freezer :)  also used a boxed pudding mix that was given to us by friends who were moving.  I make homemade pudding, so it didn't really compare, but it satisfied a sweet tooth for cheap and little work.

Pulled 3 T-bones from the freezer and grilled them.  We get as many steaks as they can cut from our half a cow when we order, so we still had steaks from the last half cow.  2 more are in the freezer...so more grilling will be necessary!

Had eye-filled potatoes sitting in the cupboard...made a pan full of smashed red potatoes with butter and Parmesan on friday, and mashed sweet potatoes yesterday.

Husband is slowly eating up the cereal left by family visiting last month, and I am slowly eating up the bagels left (normal breakfasts are toast, eggs, or oatmeal for us!)

Printed some recipes to use up random dry food items that I brought home from our friends house when they packed.  Going to try to make them for lunches since a lot of them are single serving amounts (random small amounts of open foodstuffs). 

Used up some chia drink mix given to us too :)

Juneboogie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 5 o'clock shadow
« Reply #907 on: September 07, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
"Jalfrezi spices
Tandoori spice mix
Chinese 5 spice
Ras el hanout
Cajun ragin

They are spice packets with no further information on them. I literally have no idea what to do with them. Like, I know jalfrezi is a type of curry, but have no idea how I would go about making one. I suppose I could just use them to season meat? TIA.  "

Late response but I am a recent forum member.  I like the taste of all these spice blends & use them to jazz up beans, also they are great sprinkled on popcorn!

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #908 on: September 10, 2016, 07:25:18 AM »
I now know that we'll be moving out of our rental and into our new house (!) at the end of November, so I've been trying to use up some of the random bits and bobs in the pantry and fridge. I don't want to move all of it, though Brown Bear is less concerned and continues to stock up on dry goods. I figure we can at least get through the small volumes of things we've got lying around and not replace them.

Last week I made a few rounds of chia seed breakfast "pudding" with almond milk, peanut butter, and Brown Bear's homemade strawberry jam. He'd cooked it too long so it had set into gummy candy, and I found the only way for me to eat it was to blend it into my breakfasts :) I used a random packet of date paste similarly - food processed it with nuts and coconut and cocoa powder and peanut butter, rolled it into balls, dipped them in chocolate, and ate them for dessert over the past two weeks. I've also been getting through our considerable stash of herbal tea by brewing a pot of iced tea every few days, sticking it in the fridge, and offering it to any comers and any time of day or night. It's making a difference! We've had some of it for years and we're obviously never gonna drink it unless it appears (like magic!) in the fridge.

This morning I made some amazing scones - blueberry coconut walnut. I used up the walnuts from the freezer, and put a dent in my considerable dessicated coconut stash (love coconut!). I'm also trying to get through some wheat germ and a small bag of semolina flour that we've had forever, so I chucked some of those in there as well in place of some of the AP flour. Blueberries came from the 6.5 lbs that I picked when we were out near Lake Michigan about a month ago and then froze. We still have a lot of frozen blueberries left to eat but they're *so good* that I find myself rationing them out in small volumes to make them last...This may be stupid.

I also made a big Asian-syle quinoa salad this morning to use up piles of fresh produce from our CSA share, local farmers market, and my dad's garden. Dad's been so generous with just giving us his surplus that we're drowning in veggies! I'd cooked quinoa late last night when i had the munchies - in hopes of eating that instead of an entire lb bag of pretzels - so I stirred the cooled leftover quinoa together with the remainder of our frozen peas, fresh tomatoes, green onions, shallots, a big yellow pepper, some beautiful purple carrots, peanuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, fresh mint, and a soy sauce/ginger/lime/rice vinegar dressing. And a jalapeno from my dad's garden, just to make sure my hands were good and spicy before breakfast :)

We've also already got piles of onions, garlic, and winter squash, so I'm planning to make a green lentil & heirloom bean soup tomorrow night with squash and onion, kale, fresh thyme, and rosemary from our pot out on the porch. And then we'll have dinner guests to help us eat it. Somehow we've been managing to get through all of the produce without throwing any of it away, and I guess it's a good thing that we like veggies because they're in every meal we eat these days. It's amazing to have such wonderful cheap/free produce at our fingertips.

I guess my ongoing "use it up" goals are as follows:
  • First and foremost, don't throw out any food. We had one failure on this front earlier this week - my almond milk had gone off so I had to pour it out.
  • Use up small bits of baking stuff, e.g. wheat germ, semolina, coconut, coconut flour, nuts, etc.
  • Empty out the freezer, which is mostly just nuts, blueberries, bread, and coffee right now
  • Use up the herbal tea before moving to the new house in November
  • Use up random jars and packets of stuff that live in the door of the fridge. God only knows what shape those are in!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 07:27:49 AM by YellowCat »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #909 on: September 10, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »
Right now I have some lamb ribs and other bony lamb things in the instant pot with red chile sauce and onion.  Will shred it up for a nice taco filling to eat this week, and should result in a nice stock to use for a soup with Mexican flavors when the weather cools.  That just leaves one package of lamb chops until we get this year's lamb in a few weeks.

I finally used up the mixed micro-lentils by adding them to a big batch of hummus.  The hummus also used up some chipotles in adobo that have been hiding in the back of the fridge.

I'm going to commit right now to cooking beef liver this week.  I always have to work myself up to it.  Soaking in ACV instead of milk seemed to work better to neutralize the flavor a bit.

I am not a paleo eater, but this recipe looks good:
http://autoimmune-paleo.com/bacon-beef-liver-pate-with-rosemary-and-thyme/

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #910 on: September 10, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »
Right now I have some lamb ribs and other bony lamb things in the instant pot with red chile sauce and onion.  Will shred it up for a nice taco filling to eat this week, and should result in a nice stock to use for a soup with Mexican flavors when the weather cools.  That just leaves one package of lamb chops until we get this year's lamb in a few weeks.

I finally used up the mixed micro-lentils by adding them to a big batch of hummus.  The hummus also used up some chipotles in adobo that have been hiding in the back of the fridge.

I'm going to commit right now to cooking beef liver this week.  I always have to work myself up to it.  Soaking in ACV instead of milk seemed to work better to neutralize the flavor a bit.

I am not a paleo eater, but this recipe looks good:
http://autoimmune-paleo.com/bacon-beef-liver-pate-with-rosemary-and-thyme/

Haha, that is actually the recipe I've used, and need to use up the little tubs of pate that are hiding in the freezer.  Still haven't used up the beef liver.  I have a crazy-powerful food processor now, so I might try pre-slicing it while it's still partially frozen, and then soaking it in the ACV.  Cutting out the nasty bits might be easier that way; it's pretty much the worst part of preparing it.  If all else fails, I'll make gourmet dog treats.

Used up the last of the lamb last night.  I've been buying very few groceries, but it seems like the food collection is continuing to expand as I've canned a bunch of soup and salsa in the past week.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #911 on: September 11, 2016, 02:59:05 PM »
Got a sinus infection that knocked me over the last few weeks. As always when I'm unwell things got out of shape in the fridge. Ended up having to toss out a yoghurt that had gone moldy as well as a carrot, some small onions and a peach. Normally I freeze any old bits I can't eat but oh, well...

Currently my use up projects are:
-a bag of chia seeds that I bought to make chia pudding for breakfast. Turns out I find pudding unpalatable in the morning, so that's no good. I've been putting a spoonful in water/juice. Makes a fun drink with a bit of texture, at least. Suppose I could put it in smoothies, too.
-a giant slab of cheese that luckily survived neglect in the fridge. Will cube some and slice some and freeze when I get the energy. Excellent for salads or cheese sandwich.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #912 on: September 12, 2016, 01:22:52 PM »
I am pleased to report freezer proteins are down to just chicken breasts and one piece of fish.  I'm going to stock up on sale proteins this Thursday.

DH's garden has begun to produce tomatoes in addition to zucchini.  And his apple and peach trees did really well this year.  A box of not perfect apples were dropped off at a horse owning friend's house today.  DH gave bags of peaches to several different neighbors, one of whom traded him for some still hot roasted chilies.  He brought some to the guys at his work today, and I have a bowlful for clients here on my desk.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #913 on: September 12, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »
Well, last week was just straight up stupid and I consider it a tremendous achievement that we managed to eat anything other than packaged granola bars and string cheese due to all the drama that was going on. Several of my planned dinner recipes during the week did not happen and we just had quick, easy meals instead (i.e. frozen salmon fillets or turkey burgers). BUT overall we stayed the course and did manage to continue chipping away at the ridiculous stockpiles of food in the house:

• Finished the last box of cake mix with another batch of cupcakes for hubby to take elsewhere. He came home with leftovers, so I put one in my lunch for a snack each day. Cake mix and resulting cupcakes are now GONE!
  • On Monday (Labor Day), I realized we had a bunch of cooked chicken, potatoes, rice, and carrots in the fridge that didn’t look like they were going to be eaten anytime soon. So instead of the quinoa recipe I was going to make, I just threw all those leftovers into the crockpot with some chicken broth and chopped celery from the freezer to make some soup. Not exactly a traditional Labor Day meal, but the weather was unseasonably cool so it worked out. I also found an old package of baking mix in the cupboard so I made up some biscuits to go with the soup. They tasted like ass because the mix was too old, but its gone now and didn’t kill us, so I’m calling it a win.
  • Had a couple more PB banana chocolate protein powder smoothies, still lots to go, and I’m still making homemade salad dressing to use up the pomegranate infused red wine vinegar.
  • Over the weekend I made two batches of granola bars, which are turning out to be a fantastic medium for random crap in the cupboard. I ground up some flax seed and mixed it in, plus some rather stale puffed rice cereal (the staleness is unnoticeable in the cooked bars). I made one batch with chopped up almonds and some old craisins, and another batch used up a half bag of chocolate chips from the freezer. I definitely foresee more granola bars in our future to use up additional flax seeds and cereal, more almonds, craisins, raisins, and chunky peanut butter among other things.
  • Saturday I made a large batch of spaghetti sauce, which also turns out to be a good recipe for adding small amounts of random things too. I tossed in 1 cup of frozen grated zucchini and 2 old frozen meatballs (chopped up) in addition to the normal ingredients and they blended right in. We had spaghetti for dinner Saturday and put 5 more dinners worth of sauce in the freezer.
  • Sunday I started tackling the lentil situation and made a batch of Mexican Red Lentil Stew to have for lunch this week. I love this recipe, possibly even more than lentil tacos!

I haven’t had a chance to tabulate the totals from my weekly grocery shopping, but I should be pretty close to my $30 goal for the week. I bought 2 whole chickens on sale and stocked up on bread, cheese, and eggs that were all on sale for $.99, but most of the rest was produce.

This week we’ll still be in sort of survival mode and eating largely from the freezer stash of pre-cooked stuff. We still have tons of chicken fried rice I made a couple of weeks ago so hubby’s been having that for lunches and somewhere I have a bag of chicken and rice burritos I made a while back. And one night will be carnitas from the freezer that I made last week… that will finally be the end of a large package of sad looking tortillas as well!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #914 on: September 13, 2016, 09:08:43 PM »
Soliciting suggestions: I made a really nice beef stew with homemade stock tonight, and miscalculated how much stock I needed (was just eyeballing and not using a recipe). I ended up with a lot of extra liquid. Delicious, thickened, spiced gravy. But what do I do with it? I was thinking about cooking and adding more vegetables to fill out the stew, but maybe someone has a better idea? I live alone, so a pot of beef stew is already a lot of servings without using vegetables to stretch it a lot further...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #915 on: September 13, 2016, 10:40:54 PM »
Soliciting suggestions: I made a really nice beef stew with homemade stock tonight, and miscalculated how much stock I needed (was just eyeballing and not using a recipe). I ended up with a lot of extra liquid. Delicious, thickened, spiced gravy. But what do I do with it? I was thinking about cooking and adding more vegetables to fill out the stew, but maybe someone has a better idea? I live alone, so a pot of beef stew is already a lot of servings without using vegetables to stretch it a lot further...

I'd use it as a base for a beef dip. If you don't want to burn out on beef, you could also just freeze it as a "base" and use it for your next soup or stew.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #916 on: September 14, 2016, 04:35:26 AM »
I freeze all things of that nature in ice cube trays for later use. That way I can just ad as needed: a cube into rice, a handfull cubes into soup and so on. Same with leftover sause: I freeze in cubes.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #917 on: September 14, 2016, 07:46:21 AM »
Thanks for the ideas! Freezing it sounds like a good plan. I definitely don't want to make beef again right away (it's so expensive, I only make beef about 3x a year).

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #918 on: September 14, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »
Yeah I'd probably throw it into the freezer until I was ready to deal with it, then throw in a bunch of vegetables and maybe some barley to make a nice soup/stew.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #919 on: September 14, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »
We're not trying to eat "everything" in the house, but last month we were too busy to go grocery shopping and had to get creative with ours meals.  I was surprised that we lived for about a week just based on what was in the pantry when normally we would have considered ourselves "out of food."

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #920 on: September 18, 2016, 04:20:40 PM »
So I said to the hubby, "I'm doing really well with this challenge, did you see all the room in the cupboards?" And he said happily "Yeah! So what are you going to fill them with?" That's what we call enabling, my friends.

Here's the weekly progress report:
  • Ate 2 boxes of Macaroni and Cheese as a side with our roast chicken for a couple of meals. We don't eat a lot of packaged foods like this but I try to keep some on hand in case I run out of real food we'll still have something to eat for side dishes. But I've been pretty good about meal planning and not running out of stuff, so then it never gets eaten.
  • I have a box of boil in a bag brown rice that I bought because it seemed useful for camping, but then we didn't eat it. So I've been making that instead of regular brown rice on salmon night, and that's halfway gone now. (Yeah that "bought it for camping" excuse keeps coming up, I need to remember this next time).
  • Finished off the last of the veggie burgers. I found a recipe for lentil burgers that I will be trying in a week or two.
  • This weekend I made some progress on using up random crap in the freezer: two little tubs of pineapple juice went into the marinade for copycat El Pollo Loco chicken (sooo good), and a tub of frozen lemon juice and some leftover yogurt from the fridge went into a double batch of lemon blueberry muffins.
  • STILL making homemade salad dressing to use up the vinegar. I keep forgetting to eat the pickles in the fridge.

I spent $43 at the grocery store this weekend, fell off the wagon a little bit and stocked up on chicken breast, broccoli (why?? I have several bags in the freezer, but it was .79/lb) and tortillas (tacos are a staple in our house so tortillas must be had!). But I'm still on track to meet my lowered monthly target ($200). Next weekend should hopefully just be produce, milk and butter.

I had a little bit of downtime this week so I was able to do some cupboard organization. I consolidated some open spices which freed up some space. And then since the smaller food cupboard had a lot of room, I was able to go through my larger cupboard and move some stuff to the smaller cupboard, so now not only can I reach everything without other crap falling on my head, I have a good idea of what I actually have and I can make plans to use up some of the neglected stuff. Once my lentil Mexican stew from the freezer has been eaten (I'm about halfway through it), I'll make a batch of chili to use up a few cans of beans, and there's one can and one jar of chicken gravy in the cupboard that I'll use in some chicken pot pies next time I have leftover chicken and enough butter on hand to make some pie crusts.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #921 on: September 18, 2016, 08:09:59 PM »
I definitely did some stocking up this weekend: re-stocked all of the nuts (we had none! unheard of!) and fresh fruits and veggies. Probably too many veggies, considering how this week is stacking up. Le sigh. And I was doing so well, too! Total grocery bill for the week: $68. Not too bad for 2 people but higher than it could have been.

On the eating down front, this weekend I did finish off our jar of peanut butter, a few cans of beans, some leftover cooked bulgar, two rather squashy nectarines, and a bag of tortillas which had all stuck together in the packet (maddening!) I also used up more of our baking bits and bobs making granola yesterday from this recipe: http://minimalistbaker.com/strawberry-coconut-granola/. Her granola recipes are all great, as are her "best damn vegan biscuits," but I haven't always been thrilled by her other baked goods.

I need some help with this something, guys - what do I do with a large bunch of sage? We got it in our CSA a week and a half ago and it's been hiding out in the fridge ever since. I'm not a big sage eater...it's a really strong flavor that I'm not overly fond of. Help!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:13:14 PM by YellowCat »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #922 on: September 18, 2016, 08:30:44 PM »
Used up the last of some quinoa (note to self: do not buy again; we do not actually like quinoa) and sushi rice.

Now using up the last of a few other kinds of rice. Need to bear in mind in future that all we actually need is Arborio and one type of "eating" rice (e.g. wild rice).

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #923 on: September 18, 2016, 09:06:22 PM »
YellowCat-
Sage is really lovely sautéed in butter over ravioli or other pastas.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #924 on: September 19, 2016, 01:40:48 AM »
I haven't been working on this goal for a while, but it is time to get back in the game.

I cooked up the last of the pinto, navy, and black beans. We will be eating refried bean burritos, white chili, and black bean burgers in the next couple of days.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #925 on: September 19, 2016, 04:24:54 AM »
I am going to join in this challenge. My husband will be out of town on and off over the next 6 weeks, so I want to get rid of some bags of rice, beans, a little meat that we have, turkey burgers, seafood, etc....all that stuff that we thought we would eat during the summer. Need to get our grocery budget down to help average out 2016's annual expenditures. I have some aggressive goals for 2017 so I really need to get the training wheels going.

We should only need fresh produce, eggs, dairy. My goal is to shop the 99 per lb or less produce each week.

On a side note, I'm getting excited for soup and (homemade) bread weather!

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #926 on: September 19, 2016, 05:35:40 AM »
Joining. I started on the quinoa last week, made good progress. Now targeting legumes and cheese :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #927 on: September 19, 2016, 07:53:14 AM »
Made a sweet potato pie last night using a jar of the the sweet potato chunks I canned last year.  The crust burnt, so it's unfit to bring to work, and I need to bake another, because I mentioned it to my co-worker and now her heart is set on it.

Yesterday, started a beef soup bone from the freezer in the Instant Pot to make stock, added some stew meat, and a big container of something from the freezer that I'd labeled "for soup".  I think it was from cooking a pork shoulder in red chile, so it had lots of flavor.  Added in the last of the black beans and garden veggies no longer at their best, as well as some random bits of beans, salsa and stock that were taking up space in the fridge, and ended up with a big tasty pot of chili style soup.

Used the last of some homemade mayo and few stalks and leaves from a bunch of celery in a big batch of egg salad for work lunches.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #928 on: September 20, 2016, 04:55:06 AM »
I've been working on clearing out the cupboards over the last couple of months.

Last night's effort was to make a curry with the jar of Thai red curry paste and coconut milk (although silly me added two cans of tomatoes, force of habit as I make a lot of Indian curries based on tomatoes).

I'll have to work through the sauces next, and spices. That and the $1.50 pineapple I bought the other day, oops. And the jar of olives, and the Sri Lankan curry powder that only seems to come in 500g containers. That's a lot of curry powder.

It's come a long way from when I couldn't fit everything in my tiny pantry.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:06:03 AM by alsoknownasDean »

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #929 on: September 20, 2016, 06:55:10 AM »
Darn, went backward today in order to go forward. Picked up a good bulk buy on grains. Doesn't reduce the pantry contents, but does make a cheap re-stock.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #930 on: September 20, 2016, 03:44:48 PM »
I am still working on this project. I am determined to get our food bill down.

I found some masa harina in my pantry that looks like just enough for a batch of homemade corn tortillas. I suck at making them but I think I can make them eatable but they wont look pretty. I made a pot of Mexican corn chowder from the CSA box this last week. And it is pretty good. But hubby is all ready done with it...too bad buddy, eat it again as we have goals to get to. It should be gone after lunch tomorrow.

I have spent the day canning tomatoes and salsa. So the pantry will look full again. But I think there is a bunch of random things in there.

Need tips to get through a gigantic bag of popcorn kernels.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #931 on: September 21, 2016, 05:43:02 AM »
I'm down to seasonal berries/veggies and beans in my freezer. Plan is to stock up with some lamb now it's season, but to stop stocking up on meat on sale. I barely eat meat, so there really is no point.

Need to eat up a bag of dried soy beans, though. I had a plan for them, but not sure what it was (I do this).

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #932 on: September 21, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »
Seemsright,

For popcorn, I add a lot of minced raw garlic & soy sauce.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #933 on: September 21, 2016, 12:21:05 PM »

Ooh you just reminded me, I have about 3/4 of a jar of popcorn kernels to use up too. My first thought was to just try and remember to actually make popcorn on movie/tv night (that's the reason I bought it, after all), but a quick Google search brought up this popcorn ball recipe and I have a partial bag of marshmallows that needs to get used too. I would not be including candy corn though, because blech! I'm just not sure how long they'll last, I expect they'd get gross and stale before we ate it all. I could bring them into work, but then my coworkers might think I like them or something ;)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #934 on: September 21, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »

Ooh you just reminded me, I have about 3/4 of a jar of popcorn kernels to use up too. My first thought was to just try and remember to actually make popcorn on movie/tv night (that's the reason I bought it, after all), but a quick Google search brought up this popcorn ball recipe and I have a partial bag of marshmallows that needs to get used too. I would not be including candy corn though, because blech! I'm just not sure how long they'll last, I expect they'd get gross and stale before we ate it all. I could bring them into work, but then my coworkers might think I like them or something ;)

LOL!  And you just reminded me we have a half bag of mini marshmallows lurking in our pantry.  Off to Google recipes!

Juneboogie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 5 o'clock shadow
« Reply #935 on: September 21, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
I am still working on this project. I am determined to get our food bill down.

I found some masa harina in my pantry that looks like just enough for a batch of homemade corn tortillas. I suck at making them but I think I can make them eatable but they wont look pretty. I made a pot of Mexican corn chowder from the CSA box this last week. And it is pretty good. But hubby is all ready done with it...too bad buddy, eat it again as we have goals to get to. It should be gone after lunch tomorrow.

I have spent the day canning tomatoes and salsa. So the pantry will look full again. But I think there is a bunch of random things in there.

You can use popped corn as packing material when sending fragile items...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #936 on: September 21, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »

We always keep popcorn around.  I pop some every once in a while and store it in a gallon freezer bag.  I eat it when I want a snack.  Popcorn has the perfect crunch for the "I'm not actually hungry, but I want to eat" snack.

I've been doing a great job eating down on fridge and freezer, but our pantry is still a nightmare.  I think I need to sort through it and get creative. 

Juneboogie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 5 o'clock shadow
« Reply #937 on: September 21, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
After making a batch of chick peas in my pressure cooker this morning, I was left with a good 4+ cups of rich broth.  (I follow Tamar Adler's bean-cooking advice, which leaves a lovely broth).  Lunch naturally followed:  boiled some tiny pasta in the broth (using it up in the process), tossed in chopped kale & grated raw carrot, a bit of canned tomato & juice.  Fed myself & spouse, with leftovers for two lunches tomorrow.  Thanks to this thread's encouragement, I resisted the urge to throw out the broth!

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #938 on: September 21, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
We always keep popcorn around.  I pop some every once in a while and store it in a gallon freezer bag.  I eat it when I want a snack.  Popcorn has the perfect crunch for the "I'm not actually hungry, but I want to eat" snack.

How long does it stay fresh in the bag? And I assume you're not putting butter on it before storing it, right? :)

I think my problem is that the only time I ever think "Hey, popcorn would be good right now," is when I'm relaxed on the couch watching tv, after we've eaten dinner and I've done all the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen. If I made popcorn, I'd have to get a pot out and do work, then there would be dirty pot sitting in the sink, mocking and shaming me with its dirtiness while I was trying to goof off :) If I could make it ahead of time, well that would solve everything!

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #939 on: September 21, 2016, 02:25:34 PM »
Thanks for the popcorn ideas.

As I was making my little's lunch this morning and I have about one more days worth of her snack mix left I thought to myself I am not buying anymore she can have popcorn.

I got 12.5# of the stuff for something like $5 and I thought it was such a deal. Why I bought it I am not sure as it will take me forever to get through it. But I guess I am always up for a challenge. I think I have some corn syrup in the pantry that i need to use and gelatin maybe I will make some marshmallows. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-fluffy-vanilla-marshmallows-130751 is the best recipe ever! And make some of those popcorn balls for my little for Halloween.

I am slowly getting through the odds and ends. I swear they just multiply.

Today I made banana bread with hazelnuts that were in the back of the pantry and the small end of the season zucchini in the fridge.  And I will cook the rest of the pasta to go with dinner.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #940 on: September 21, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »

How long does it stay fresh in the bag? And I assume you're not putting butter on it before storing it, right? :)

I think my problem is that the only time I ever think "Hey, popcorn would be good right now," is when I'm relaxed on the couch watching tv, after we've eaten dinner and I've done all the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen. If I made popcorn, I'd have to get a pot out and do work, then there would be dirty pot sitting in the sink, mocking and shaming me with its dirtiness while I was trying to goof off :) If I could make it ahead of time, well that would solve everything!
No, I don't put butter on it.  I use an airpopper, so I frequently don't bother even putting salt on it before I eat it.  I usually eat the popcorn within a few days, and it's fine.  I think butter would make it a little soggy. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #941 on: September 21, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »
I find a good tight sealing Tupperware like container keeps popcorn fresh longer than ziplock bags. I pop it with a little oil on the stove and add a little salt after popping.  I pack it in lunches. 

Those of you with excess popcorn could plan on giving caramel corn for Christmas gifts. Or making Caramel or other spiced popcorn your potluck dish this fall. Cheap and relatively easy but people seem to love it.

No, I don't put butter on it.  I use an airpopper, so I frequently don't bother even putting salt on it before I eat it.  I usually eat the popcorn within a few days, and it's fine.  I think butter would make it a little soggy.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #942 on: September 22, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
Though I no longer eat popcorn, miss it dearly, and no longer keep it in the house, I like PMG's idea about the Christmas gifts.  :)

Earlier this week I made a stir fry which used up a yellow squash and a zucchini from DH's garden.  Today I tossed several containers of leftovers in the freezer since we won't get to them in time, brought two other leftover containers for my lunch, and found a brownie recipe online which will use up the mini marshmallows, bits of sugar and flour I have on hand.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #943 on: September 25, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »
Weekly check-in time! While I haven't gotten around to the popcorn yet, I'm still on course. Here are the highlights:

• On Monday morning, I made my coffee, added some milk, took a sip, looked into the cup, and realized the milk was all curdled and clumpy. Not how I like starting my week :( Rather than making a special trip to the store for milk, for the rest of the week I just added a spoonful of dry milk to my coffee and called it good enough. I could have actually mixed up a batch of milk, but I really only needed it for coffee so this was easier and had no risk of more milk going bad.
  • Continued making salad dressing and finally finished off the pomegranate vinegar! Now I have a full bottle of similar vintage (aka has been sitting in the cupboard forever) plain red wine vinegar, but I'm not sure if I should burn through that for more salad dressing or keep it on hand in case I need it for cooking. I'll probably just leave it for a bit in case I need it in recipes for using other stuff up, then if its still there towards the end of this project I'll use it for dressing.
  • Remembered to eat a pickle on the side when we had BBQ chicken sandwiches (made with leftover chicken, of course).
  • Had leftover BBQ chicken, and after a few days it was still in the fridge so I wrapped it in a tortilla with a little cheddar cheese and brought it for lunch
  • I've had a can of cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic in the cupboard for eons. I have no idea why I bought it, I have one recipe that uses regular cream of mushroom soup and garlic would not be very complementary. So for dinner last night I made a beef pot pie and used the soup as gravy/sauce in the filling. This also used up a small portion of pre-cooked ground beef I had in the freezer, as well as various veggies. We'll have leftovers for dinner tonight.
  • Today I made another double batch of granola bars, using up more stale puffed rice cereal and flax seeds. One batch was almond/craisin (used up the last of the craisins! woohoo!) and one batch was peanut butter, using up the last of a jar of chunky peanut butter. Only two more jars of chunky left to go.
  • Realized we haven't been using up all of our salad stuff before it goes bad, resulting in some unacceptable food waste, so I made a salad to bring for lunch one day so I only ended up tossing a couple leaves of lettuce towards the end of the week.

Our last grocery shop for the month was $28 and about half of that was non-food items. The only food stuff we bought was milk, butter, and produce. My monthly grocery total is $204 so I'm once again almost $100 under for the month!

I *really* need to do a freezer inventory as it's pretty much anarchy in the chest freezer. My main use-it-up project for the work week is soup for dinner one night (hopefully the weather isn't too hot) to use up some leftover chicken and veggies, and I'll be throwing in some neglected quinoa from the cupboard. I'm also planning on making some drop biscuits to start using up some more baking mix. This box isn't quite as ancient as the last package I finished, so hopefully it's not awful and I can finish it before it becomes inedible.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:51:12 AM by DTaggart »

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #944 on: September 25, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
On Monday morning, I made my coffee, added some milk, took a sip, looked into the cup, and realized the milk was all curdled and clumpy. Not how I like starting my week :( Rather than making a special trip to the store for milk, for the rest of the week I just added a spoonful of dry milk to my coffee and called it good enough. I could have actually mixed up a batch of milk, but I really only needed it for coffee so this was easier and had no risk of more milk going bad.

And after writing this up, I have just now remembered that I have a thing of shelf-stable almond milk in the cupboard, which I keep on hand for this exact situation. *facepalm* This is why I have so much weird shit in my cupboards for so long :)

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #945 on: September 25, 2016, 10:32:58 PM »
Cleaned out the fridge and pantry and made BBQ sauce that is crazy good. Who knew that taking some tomatoes (from the CSA) some random bits and bobs from the fridge can make a good BBQ sauce. I took the last of the black berry jam, some miso paste,  the leftover plumb sauce that I made from scratch, some of this and some of that. Some cucumbers, dried fruit that was in the back of the pantry and put it all together. It turned out amazing.

The popcorn...ahh the popcorn. We made 2 huge bowls of it this week. But I wanted to make corn bread, I was out of corn meal. So I threw some popcorn into the vitamix...and bam I have corn meal. I have a feeling this is how I am going to get through most of this popcorn. And as a bonus I told my 6 year old that I made popcorn bread and it was the best thing on earth and she wants the leftovers in her lunch tomorrow :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:35:28 PM by seemsright »

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #946 on: September 26, 2016, 07:08:54 AM »
Last night I had a block of cream cheese and small amounts of raspberry jam, ginger marmalade, and apricot jam in the fridge.

This morning I have a batch of rugelach for the office and a single jar of orange/lemon marmalade in the fridge.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #947 on: September 26, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
Cleaned out the fridge and pantry and made BBQ sauce that is crazy good. Who knew that taking some tomatoes (from the CSA) some random bits and bobs from the fridge can make a good BBQ sauce. I took the last of the black berry jam, some miso paste,  the leftover plumb sauce that I made from scratch, some of this and some of that. Some cucumbers, dried fruit that was in the back of the pantry and put it all together. It turned out amazing.

The popcorn...ahh the popcorn. We made 2 huge bowls of it this week. But I wanted to make corn bread, I was out of corn meal. So I threw some popcorn into the vitamix...and bam I have corn meal. I have a feeling this is how I am going to get through most of this popcorn. And as a bonus I told my 6 year old that I made popcorn bread and it was the best thing on earth and she wants the leftovers in her lunch tomorrow :)

I don't know if I am more impressed with the BBQ sauce or the cornbread, way to go!

Last night I had a block of cream cheese and small amounts of raspberry jam, ginger marmalade, and apricot jam in the fridge.

This morning I have a batch of rugelach for the office and a single jar of orange/lemon marmalade in the fridge.

Nice job! Feels good to get those last little bits all finished up :)

Over the weekend I made a complete Indian-ish meal from the pantry. I made fish cakes using some boxed mashed potatoes, curry powder, spinach (no peas left)The fish was from the freezer and poached in some spices and canned coconut milk - reused the poaching liquid for the mashed potatoes. Made a coating out of a bunch of various nuts and  seeds I needed to finish off.

Served with papadum, home-canned chutney. I also made a quick Thai style creamed spinach to go with it out of Thai red curry paste, some coconut milk and some chopped up Spinach. It was a bit f a fusion, but it was all very tasty, came together faster than going out or ordering take-out and it is nice to know I can make an awesome meal from staples I always seem to have around :)

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #948 on: September 26, 2016, 08:46:48 AM »

I don't know if I am more impressed with the BBQ sauce or the cornbread, way to go!

Nice job! Feels good to get those last little bits all finished up :)

Over the weekend I made a complete Indian-ish meal from the pantry. I made fish cakes using some boxed mashed potatoes, curry powder, spinach (no peas left)The fish was from the freezer and poached in some spices and canned coconut milk - reused the poaching liquid for the mashed potatoes. Made a coating out of a bunch of various nuts and  seeds I needed to finish off.

Served with papadum, home-canned chutney. I also made a quick Thai style creamed spinach to go with it out of Thai red curry paste, some coconut milk and some chopped up Spinach. It was a bit f a fusion, but it was all very tasty, came together faster than going out or ordering take-out and it is nice to know I can make an awesome meal from staples I always seem to have around :)
[/quote]

Thank you. I am going to challenge myself in turning the leftover BBQ sauce into a soup this week. It is a spicy tomato base sauce so it should be doable. I was able to save $270 of my food budget this last month. And I want to at least save that much for the month of Oct. The best thing ever is my hubby is on board. He is willing to take a bit of random for his lunches and he is starting to find the joy in the game. As long as I feed us well I am good with eating the most random. Knowing how to cook and willing to put in the effort we all can get to our goals.

I may have to start playing with indian food as I have a bunch of lentils in the pantry. Thank you for the ideas.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #949 on: September 26, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »

This is genius!