Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1198648 times)

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #4150 on: May 16, 2023, 06:39:02 PM »
I'll be jumping back into this, as we found out we have termites and will be tented in 6 weeks.  I hate prepping for tenting (this will be the third time in nearly 30 years, and second time at this house), so the family has been put on alert that we will be eating all of the food in our house to the exclusion of other foods, with the exception of perishables that can't be substituted.  So we start with the frozen and canned fruit and I'll buy fresh fruit once those are gone.  They can all eat calrose rice when we run out of basmati (soon) and complain about it.  There are many many many gallon jars and buckets of bulk grains and legumes we have to eat, as well as a chest freezer full of food.  I imagine this will be more extreme than our February pantry challenge was.

Today we ate a can of Aldi cinnamon rolls as part of breakfast, along with rolled oats with brown sugar for some of us.  We finished the quinoa from 2022 and started the bag I bought right before I found out about the termites.  I also made a quinoa salad which finished off the open jar of kalamata olives and used some of the open artichoke hearts, as well as a salad dressing I made with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and various herbs and spices (all open).  Dinner will involve two tiny steaks from the freezer, and some tater tots.

I will end up having to move or double bag some of our food, but my goal is to reduce it as much as possible.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4151 on: May 16, 2023, 08:22:14 PM »
Ugh, @K_in_the_kitchen , I'm so sorry!

I don't have termites, but will happily join you on the pantry challenge!  I have way too many containers of grains and lentils here. 

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4152 on: May 17, 2023, 03:03:49 AM »
Wins:
- yoghurts are all gone. Had the last one as breakfast today with a non-popular leftover of granola (glad this one is out, only 1 box to go...... it was a good deal to try this brand (B1G1), but will not buy it again)
- salad, tomatoes and cucumber were eaten on Thursday, a few bell peppers remaining
- zucchini will be lunch for today. Teen 1 is at home and she loves some zucchini soup as lunch. I will gladly oblige.
- fridge is in good shape (enough, but not too much in it)
- freezer is in good shape (enough, but not too much in it)
- pantry still contains a few challenges

Challenges:
- dried apricots in pantry
- condiments in fridge
- loose leave tea in pantry
- 1 box of non-popular granola in pantry
- canned veggies in pantry (I found out I have too much carrots/green peas, so I need to put these on the menu)
- few pasta varieties that we tried, but are not too happy about, but need to be eaten!

@K_in_the_kitchen , the termites-problem sounds awful.....

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4153 on: May 18, 2023, 10:34:23 AM »
made homemade Kind bars again, this time with pistachios (finished them off!) since I used up the almonds on last batch.  I also finished off the rolled oats, then bought another huge cannister because we eat them alot.

yesterday finished a packet of tempeh

tonight's dinner is lentil sloppy joes to continue to work my way through the metric ton of lentils we have in stock here and consume a packet of rolls from the freezer that I got on clearance at the grocery last month.

Am also cheating a little on this challenge....giving away several spice blends to neighbors that were sent to us as a gift.  We tried them, but they are not our taste.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4154 on: May 20, 2023, 10:51:50 AM »
I have an abundance of garden produce so I'm trying to come up with the freezer meals to both preserve the harvest and make creating a dinner a little easier using things in the freezer. Tonight I'm going to make a green bean casserole for the freezer using an abundance of fresh green beans. When I'm ready to serve, I'll thaw, bake and then top with the fried onion pieces right before serving.

Now, I need to find a freezer friendly yellow squash recipe; my standard squash casserole contains a lot of dairy so I don't believe it will freeze well.
[Af/quote

I think this would also work with yellow squash.  You might need to initially add some water since I think zucchini is more watery than yellow squash.  Not a "meal" but an easy way to concentrate squash so it takes up less space in the freezer.   After freezing/defrosting I sneak use it on pizza or in pasta, risotto or soup.
https://foodinjars.com/recipe/zucchini-butter/

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4155 on: May 21, 2023, 09:46:12 AM »
I'm back from an international work trip, and had to clean some leftovers out of the fridge. I have no clue what my husband/the kids ate while I was gone, but I'm settling back in & menu planning for the week ahead.

-I ate leftovers from a meal delivery meal (it wasn't that great) over a salad last night.
-I also pawned off a bagel I got for free, onto one of the teens. That wasn't much of a hardship
-I picked up sandwich fixings for easy lunches/meals for the teens, & the loaf of bread is almost gone after one day
-I served the last piece of salmon to my husband, for dinner last night
-I cut a bunch of lettuce from the garden, washed & put it in the salad spinner. It's all prepped & ready for salads this week.

I need to pick up more oatmeal, so I can make protein bars for a teen. It's his favorite pre-soccer snack. Tonight we're having grilled burgers & salad, with a dessert of berries. Yum.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4156 on: May 21, 2023, 10:28:35 AM »
had a bagel with avocado and tomato for lunch (I know, I know...the hardship...) but it got a bagel out of the freezer.

Dinner tonight is leftover lentil sloppy joes for me (working through a mountain of lentils), roasted sweet potato and roasted Idaho potato with london broil for the fellas.

Tomorrow night is either "mexican lasagne" to use up some of the pinto beans and corn tortillas in the freezer or french onion gnocchi to use up some of the gnocchi in the pantry.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4157 on: May 21, 2023, 03:12:22 PM »
I used three different small bags of ground wheat to make a double batch of muffins (and used 5 spotty bananas), plus 1/2 C. out of a bag of ground einkorn.  The termite plan involves saving my buckets of hard white wheat berries, einkorn berries, and White Sonora wheat berries, but I do need to eat all the remnants in the freezer that have already been ground.  I also used some of the all purpose flour I have, with the hope to get down to one bucket of flour before we tent.  The muffins also used baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and vanilla extract, which I'd rather use up than have to double bag.

I made potato tacos which used some of the corn tortillas, some of the open avocado oil, and the final 2# of frozen diced potatoes, along with an open but I'll probably have to keep buying onions to get through June.  As a bonus I cut up a leftover chicken breast and my kid ate that in their tacos, and we ate the avocados that had all gone ripe at once.

The tater tots have all been eaten (and I don't plan to buy them again for my youngest).  We made smoothies to get through some of the frozen fruit, dates, and macadamia butter.  We ate a bag of pasta shells.  The guys ate the package of bagels from the freezer.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4158 on: May 22, 2023, 04:01:06 AM »
The (long) weekend used up a few items only:
- 1 can of carrots/peas (3 more to go) with 1 bag of fries from freezer and some chicken from freezer on Friday
- part of the open bag of couscous and 1/2 bag of unpopular pasta made it into salads to go with the BBQ on Saturday.
- 1/2 bag of another unpopular pasta made it into an oven dish on Sunday (oven dish was completely gone, because teen 2 really loved it and took 3 (!) servings)
- all but 1 bell pepper got used in the salads and oven dish
- 1 can of corn was used in the salads as well
- various condiments were used during BBQ and while preparing the oven dish

Fail:
- I missed a package of sliced italian sausage in the fridge which was now way past due date and not smelling well. It went out.

This week challenge:
- finish leftover salads (I'm hoping teen 1 will already polish off her favorite today)
- use 1 zucchini and 1 bell pepper
- finish the fresh fruit (melon, bananas, strawberries, kiwis and a few apples)

And the ones from last time are still valid
- dried apricots in pantry
- condiments in fridge
- loose leave tea in pantry
- 1 box of non-popular granola in pantry
- canned veggies in pantry (I found out I have too much carrots/green peas, so I need to put these on the menu - 3 cans remaining)
- few pasta varieties that we tried, but are not too happy about, but need to be eaten! (found out that pasta salad or oven dish will be the way to go in our household)

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4159 on: May 26, 2023, 07:10:56 PM »
I've been living with extended family and will be moving into my own home in a week. In the meantime I've barely been cooking, someone here cooks and I've been the primary chef in my family for a long time. Excited to get back to more familiar routines with foods.

Recent successes (in a place where leftovers often get tossed before I have a chance to get to them)

- Made salmon cakes with some leftover salmon, froze the remainder for future salmon cakes
- Finished off leftover flank steak
- Finished off some extra strawberries with the last of the cottage cheese
- Ate the last string cheese
- Finished the last of the vanilla ice cream
- Picked through a slightly soggy salad bag and ate all the still good lettuce out of it
- Finished off some weird greek cheese dip from Trader joes (probably won't buy it again)
- Ate the last of the almond crackers
- Used up the last of the nut granola
- Tossed some almond chips that were nasty
- Finished some chocolate that had been lost in the fridge
- Used up the family's rando veggies for a salad

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #4160 on: May 27, 2023, 12:38:28 AM »
We are leaving for our summer holidays in two weeks. We have been eating down our frozen foods, including frozen dumplings, frozen meats, veggies in our fridge, and nonperishables, since we will be gone for two months.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4161 on: May 28, 2023, 03:16:29 PM »
:: made broth from a chicken carcass from the freezer, some baby carrots, and a red onion that had been hanging around in the fridge for a month or so
:: ate three frozen 2 C. cubes of mashed potatoes
:: cooked one of the spiral hams from the freezer
:: made a hash with frozen diced sweet potatoes, some cabbage, and half a red onion leftover from making quinoa salad
:: pup was unwell, used 1 C. of frozen chicken broth, a jar of chicken baby food, and a can of pumpkin
:: more smoothies were eaten
:: cooked another 2# of pasta with 2 jars marinara, plus some tortelloni and pesto
:: baked 4 loaves whole wheat bread, using wheat berries, and realized I might get through the bucket before we tent
:: used some brown and red lentils to make soup, which also used some frozen mirepoix
:: offered a bag of frozen green beans to my kid to use as an ice pack for a bad bee sting reaction
:: cooked another 15# or so of calrose rice (I've been cooking 5.25 pounds every 3-4 days, sanitizing with a hydrogen peroxide solution to help make it safe to eat for a longer period of time)

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4162 on: June 08, 2023, 04:08:14 AM »
Only 4 weeks to go till our camping holiday. Fridge and freezer need to be empty by then. Pantry should be reasonably sized at that time.

Wins:
- unpopular box of granola is nearly finished (only 1 serving left)
- fruit is almost gone (1 melon and 1 kiwi left, will be eaten in the next days)
- only 1 leftover in the fridge, which is already claimed by DS for his saturday lunch
- 1 bag of couscous was finished. Found another bag in the back of the pantry.
- 1 bag of unpopular pasta was finished. About 2-3 to go!
- 1 bottle of unpopular BBQ sauce was finished.
- I only bought fresh items for 2 days this week. Today marks day 4 and we're still good to go!

Need to work on:
- freezer inventory: bread, some meats and icecream popsicles
- fridge inventory: condiments, sauces, yoghurts and sliced meat
- pantry inventory: unpopulars (pasta, couscous, snacks, cookies...... the populars go real quick, but now we really have to work on the unpopulars.....)

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4163 on: June 17, 2023, 10:40:41 AM »

:: cooked another 15# or so of calrose rice (I've been cooking 5.25 pounds every 3-4 days, sanitizing with a hydrogen peroxide solution to help make it safe to eat for a longer period of time)

I'm curious about this... did something happen to your dry rice? And how are you eating so much of it???

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4164 on: June 17, 2023, 10:50:13 AM »
Some wins:

- Hubby ate the other bag of weird almond chips that I hated
- Salvaged a sandwich that one kid refused, dressed it up and grilled it for a different kid to eat
- Used up some older bagged lettuce with some different bagged lettuce condiments
- Finished a different bag of almond crackers
- Ate a leftover porkchop with leftover rice, seasoned it, added the last of some cream cheese and leftover veggies. It was delicious!
- Hubby is working his way through some leftover homemade fried chicken breasts, and used the last of some condiments with them
- using up some frozen lunch meat

Some losses:

- tossed the last of a hummus container, it smelled like wine
- tossed a rotisserie chicken carcass that probably had 10% of the meat left on it. Will reassess my ability to entirely finish one before buying another
- tossed some grilled corn that I'd bought for cheap and was gross even the day we made it
- tossed a bunch of eggs that had gone bad
- kid made fresh bread and it molded within 3 days. Will make sure people are prepared to eat tons of bread before kiddo cooks again.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4165 on: June 17, 2023, 03:11:11 PM »
- tossed a rotisserie chicken carcass that probably had 10% of the meat left on it. Will reassess my ability to entirely finish one before buying another

For future reference, not-quite-finished rotisserie chickens make the best soup stock... :-) 

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4166 on: June 18, 2023, 11:39:45 AM »

I'm curious about this... did something happen to your dry rice? And how are you eating so much of it???

Cooked rice is a breeding ground for bacillus cereus, and the bacteria can be present even when reheated.  Cyclists have taken to making rice cakes to take on longer rides (usually layer of cooked rice, a layer of something like pb&J, eggs, apples and cinnamon, etc.), so to minimize the risk of food poisoning a sports medicine MD researched using hydrogen peroxide to clean the rice ahead of cooking.  My kid does make the rice cakes, but also likes to make a big vat of rice and eat it for a couple of days, so we clean the rice with peroxide.  In our experience it definitely extends the life of the cooked rice.

As to how we go through so much rice, there are currently 3 young adults in my house full time -- my youngest, my oldest (completive athlete), and an athlete teammate visiting for a month, plus my youngest's partner is here about half the time.  However, I decided that the young adults need to make the rice if they want it, so consumption has backed down and they've been buying a lot of bagels from Aldi.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4167 on: June 19, 2023, 08:10:01 AM »
We are going to move to another part of the country, in August or September. There is no good reason to move food that can be bought there in a shop. So from now on we will empty the cupboards before buying new groceries.

Today I got grounded beef from the freezer. I also packed a packet of dried tortellini pasta for our camping trip next weekend.

I did shop milk, orange juice, a pack of feta cheese, a few fresh veggies and bananas. And some bread, as I don't have the capacity now to bake my own bread all the time.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 07:41:35 AM by Linea_Norway »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4168 on: June 19, 2023, 08:16:53 AM »
-Defrosted some barbecued chicken for dinner, when we got home late from a flight yesterday.
-Served that with a bag of fried rice (Trader Joes) & a couple of eggs mixed in
-Used lettuce & cucumber from the garden in our salad
-Defrosted a meal delivery dinner (I only have a few left to finish off) for an in a pinch meal this week

We were able to keep our grocery stop really light this week, as we were out of town this weekend at my nephew's graduation party, and head out of town on Friday for a family wedding.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4169 on: June 20, 2023, 02:46:04 AM »
Wins:
- unpopular granola is GONE!!!!
- just 1 leftover in the fridge, which will be lunch for me!
- first dent in the found bag of couscous
- 1/2 bag of unpopular pasta was finished
- had a BBQ at my parents house and brought freezer items (some sausages and some burgers). My mum also had freezer items and we managed to have just a few leftovers (pasta-salad / couscous salad, from my pantry items) which my teens will eat this week.
- sliced meat got used on lunch wraps and pizza
- used ground beef from freezer to prepare enough meatballs for 2 dinners (last one tonight)
- made some oatmeal banana muffins this morning. Teens had a 2nd breakfast (after already eating the pasta-salad/couscous salad for 1st breakfast..... (and still skinny as a bone....)).

Losses:
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 bag of lettuce
- 1/2 banana (other half was used in said muffins)

Challenges:
- less than 3 weeks to go till our holiday...... the great cleanout begins
- freezer: 10 Turkish pizza's are waiting. Bread and some meats are still in. Icecream popsicles are being eaten in a steady pace.
- fridge: pretty good shape! Since teens will be at home for the last two weeks, they will keep the fridge inventory down.
- pantry: OK-ish...... still finding items that need to be used and put them on the menu for this/next week (hello canned veggies......)

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4170 on: June 20, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »
have put myself on a "no new grains/beans/legumes/pasta/rice" regime as the pantry is STILL full after a year of this challenge.    The major culprit is buying a grain for a recipe and then not using the rest of the box.  ie bought bulgur to make a falafel salad, barley for split pea barley soup, farro for a summer salad, etc.  And then my beloved brother shows love with gifts of food.  So I have 4 x 4lb bags of dried lentils/peas/etc on top of all of this.  so.....

Tonight is pesto pasta salad with mozzarella balls and tomato served with broccoli and zucchini.  That will probably serve us a couple of meals.  Later in the week is leftover lentil sloppy joes (from the freezer) served over bulgur wheat.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4171 on: June 21, 2023, 07:34:39 AM »
-Ate another meal delivery service dinner (frozen). I did a two week subscription as a trial, and got sick the second week, so froze all of the dinners (10 or 14, in total). They are fantastic in a pinch, but take up a lot of space in the freezer.
-DS 16 ate three garden cucumbers & a large tomato for a snack
-We continue to use up lettuce, basil & peppers from the garden for salads

Focus for the next few days (we're heading out of town to a wedding this weekend):
-Leftover barbecued chicken
-Salmon (my husband will eat this)
-Chicken fajitas
-A few grilled burgers
-Some fresh fruit that needs to be eaten

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4172 on: June 22, 2023, 07:43:20 AM »
Yesterday I used up the last chicken filet, a pack of lentils, a pack of diced tomatoes, a pack of coconut milk and several veggies from the freezer, as well as my own fresh veggies from that day.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4173 on: June 22, 2023, 12:13:36 PM »
Killed off the tail of a french bread, some garden tomatoes and mini mozz balls and roasted red peppers as a flat bread/pizza for lunch. Yum!

Tonight is breakfast for dinner to use up some frozen shredded potatoes and eggs

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4174 on: June 22, 2023, 09:03:25 PM »
We are working through lots of pantry/freezer food in preparation for our fumigation.

In addition to what we've eaten (I've been too busy to keep track), today I gave away the following through my Buy Nothing group:

16# white popcorn
25# calrose rice
20# einkorn berries
2 bottles of apple cider vinegar
2 packages of gluten free spaghetti
1 box gluten free mac and cheese
2# raw cashews
3# raw almonds

I consider this a win since we aren't wasting the food.  I'm using the fumigation as an opportunity to simplify my pantry and freezer.  For example, last time I ordered heirloom grains I bought White Sonora for the first time, along with 25# of einkorn.  The White Sonora bakes up like a dream in muffins, as if they weren't 100% whole wheat, and I just wasn't reaching for the einkorn.  Rather than let it languish and take up space in the pantry, I decided to give it away. 

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4175 on: June 23, 2023, 06:34:56 PM »
@K_in_the_kitchen - I think donations are definitely a win!!! no food waste and supporting your community are a double win actually!

I'm plodding through my pantry-- hard to see progress because dried beans and grains move so slowly.  My bigger problem is I much prefer fresh foods, so I only eat the stored up stuff if I avoid the grocery.  For example, I need to eat some of the beans and rice and pasta, but I'd much rather eat a fresh potato for my carbs.  So....the challenge continues....

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4176 on: June 24, 2023, 03:08:55 AM »
Yesterday I was alone for dinner. I ate eggplant and bell pepper from the freezer, some fresh tomato, a pack of feta cheese from the fridge and lots of greens from my own pots outside.

This morning I used whole grain flower and 2 eggs to make pancakes. For topping, I will finish up an almost empty box of honey.

This evening I will eat some chicken that I bought with all sorts of stuff from the freezer, probably tinned or frozen beans. For tomorrow night I plan to make a salad from minced carrot and minced celeriac, together with some cream I bought. I'll use saucages or so from the freezer.

On Monday, the last day home before a new trip, we will eat only meat and veggies from the freezer, probably in the form of a curry.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 03:11:57 AM by Linea_Norway »

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4177 on: June 24, 2023, 09:25:49 AM »
New house foods consumed:

- I ate a yogurt that the kids kept avoiding
- finished off a GF granola
- working through some older farm eggs (and thorougly smell testing each before eating)
- finished my favorite green hot sauce. Not allowed to buy another til I finish the red hot sauce
- the family consumed all the leftovers from a large meal we hosted - pasta, sauce, sausages etc
- ate the last of a bagged salad before it went bad

Old house (DH is currently there) consumed:

- frozen cauliflower pizza
- some steaks

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4178 on: June 24, 2023, 10:47:53 AM »

I'm plodding through my pantry-- hard to see progress because dried beans and grains move so slowly.  My bigger problem is I much prefer fresh foods, so I only eat the stored up stuff if I avoid the grocery.  For example, I need to eat some of the beans and rice and pasta, but I'd much rather eat a fresh potato for my carbs.  So....the challenge continues....

I have similar struggles here -- I'd rather make a potatoes or sweet potatoes, I'd rather use fresh produce than frozen, etc.  But then we'll get into a busy time, and it makes sense to buy frozen vegetables, only to find that once things calm down I won't go to them.  Stocking up right before pandemic lockdowns (I could see them coming, so we had a week or so before everything went crazy), I came to realize that nothing is going to make us want to eat canned foods on a regular basis.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4179 on: June 24, 2023, 11:14:07 AM »
Working my way through some cereal grains.  Have discovered I like it with walnuts and berries so hopefully will continue to work through my stores.  Trying to hybridize my love of fresh stuff and "eating all the food in my pantry".

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4180 on: June 26, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »
Back from our second traveling weekend in a row. We now have a break for a few weeks. It's been a busy summer so far.

-We got home from the airport late last  night, and had chicken (freezer) & salmon. We have enough salmon for my husband to finish it off for dinner tonight
-We are out of lettuce, so I need to pick garden lettuce today for our dinner
-For lunch, I'll eat the remaining mac & cheese & part of a sandwich
-I need to wash & cut the strawberries that are left in the fridge, and then freeze them for smoothies
-For dinner tonight, I'll finish off a bagged salad, and one of my last two dinner delivery meals.

I made an easy menu plan for the rest of the week, as our teens are with my parents until Thursday. Cooking for two is definitely an adjustment, so I treat it as a good opportunity to clean out the fridge/freezer.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4181 on: June 28, 2023, 07:12:14 PM »
Today I've been clearing the house of food in preparation for fumigation.  I was able to move everything that was left in the house refrigerator into the van fridge, but didn't have room for all of the frozen items.  I kept the open frozen fruit in the house and we'll have smoothies for breakfast, and then I'll see if I can cram anything else into the van freezer.  I didn't have room for all of my bread, do I'm sending a loaf home with a friend.  Really though, we did really well.  I really wanted the refrigerator and outside freezer empty because I don't want to risk a power outage.

I did lose a 5# bag of peas from the outside freezer -- I went to move it and there was a hole in it, and the peas didn't look so great for having been in the freezer unprotected.  Going forward, I only plan to buy a single bag of peas when I plan to make spiced potatoes.

The pantry was easier because I was able to double bag what we didn't get through in the special bags.  There's nothing like having to put your hands on every single package/jar/can/bin/canister/bucket of food to make you realize how much you have.  There is a double bag just of tea -- boxes and boxes (bought in bulk from Amazon to save money), plus all the bags I had in the organizers, plus tins of loose teas that DH drinks.

I also came face to face with the downsides of storing most of our pantry staples in glass!  The jars don't fit well in the special bags, or at least we didn't have enough bags to try to make it work.  So I decanted every glass jar -- gallons, half gallons, quarts, and pints.  Over the past week I've washed every food jar in my house.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4182 on: June 29, 2023, 05:51:01 AM »
Slowly working through dry goods...making pasta with a white bean sauce tonight for dinner to eat up some of the pasta bought in the pandemic era.....UGH.

Have implemented a no new grains/flours/dry goods rule in the store.  I am making substitutions to use up my stores.  This week's goal is to finish off the wild rice container.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4183 on: July 03, 2023, 12:35:55 AM »
Love how y'all are still working through your pantries while I was away from this thread!

I have *finally* finished off the last two cans of peaches bought from Costco during the height of the pandemic. The came in a 4-pack. Seemed like a good idea at the time!

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #4184 on: July 12, 2023, 06:56:30 AM »
Help wanted!
Zucchini lovers out there, would you please share a recipe for frozen zucchini noodles?

I bought a whole box of them a couple month ago very cheap thinking we would eat them (we are doing keto).
After trying them the rest just takes up space in our freezer(plus now we have fresh zucchini in the garden). They taste watery and I was looking to possibly make some fritters (has to be keto though).
Did anyone have great success with frozen zucchini or has a keto recipe or an awesome recipe I could convert to keto?
Any help appreciated!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4185 on: July 12, 2023, 07:27:30 AM »
@Anette - we've made these low carb fritters before, and they were delicious. https://gimmedelicious.com/low-carb-zucchini-fritters/

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4186 on: July 12, 2023, 10:04:16 AM »
Help wanted!
Zucchini lovers out there, would you please share a recipe for frozen zucchini noodles?

I bought a whole box of them a couple month ago very cheap thinking we would eat them (we are doing keto).
After trying them the rest just takes up space in our freezer(plus now we have fresh zucchini in the garden). They taste watery and I was looking to possibly make some fritters (has to be keto though).
Did anyone have great success with frozen zucchini or has a keto recipe or an awesome recipe I could convert to keto?
Any help appreciated!

Search for a thai peanut zoodle recipe. Sauteeing them will get some of the moisture out. I generally hate zucchini but can tolerate them in this form because I love thai peanut stuff so much!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4187 on: July 12, 2023, 10:11:08 AM »
Wins:
- Have been working on some free roast beef from the 4th holiday. looking at the date its going in the freezer ASAP
- swiped a skirt steak and a past its prime veggie tray from the in laws fridge. They're out of town for the next week. Fed the lizard some pepper slices and fed myself and oldest DS the broccoli and skirt steak.
- Niece finished off the frozen bagels and strawberry cream cheese
- all the 8 containers of berries bought on sale were eaten before anything went bad
- found canned ravioli at the dollar store and oldest DS is willing to take that to work. No more $10 lunches!

Losses:
- None. Its been a good week!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4188 on: July 12, 2023, 10:27:34 AM »
-Staying on top of the lunch meat, cheese & sandwich bread (these are rare additions to our fridge, as we don't usually keep them on hand), so the teens can bring lunch to work every day.
-Almost finished with five lbs of potato salad from 4th of July (gave some of it away).
-Defrosted taco meat for a dinner, which had the bonus of using up shredded cheese
-Defrosted meatloaf for another dinner, to accompany leftover scalloped potatoes.
-Used garden tomatoes & basil with the last of some fresh basil, to make a caprese salad.

Still have leftover steak (will serve that to my husband), a bit of scalloped potatoes, and some rice & chicken. That should get us through the rest of the week.

Need to stay on top of the berries before they go bad.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4189 on: July 12, 2023, 10:56:27 AM »
Yesterday we ate a pack of tortellini with fresh veggies.
Today we ate what was in the house: half the remaing pack of bulgur. Then a salad of lettuce, sugar beans, chard, caraway leaves and chives from my own pots and a few tomatoes from the shop while I wait for my own tomatoes to ripen. And a portion of pork from the freezer.
For later tonight, I will make filo "spring rolls" with banana and chocolate, to finish the pack of filopastry and the bananas.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4190 on: July 13, 2023, 07:26:11 AM »
Everyone ate leftovers for dinner, which was quite helpful.
-Finished off the steak. Having to toss steak would make me feel pretty terrible, so glad this is out of the fridge.
-Almost done with the taco meat. Just a tiny bit & a small handful of shredded cheese left.
-We've wrapped up most of the chicken & rice.

Tonight's dinner will feature the remaining chicken & rice, plus meatloaf & mashed potatoes. That should clear out the meal leftovers. My husband has been making the teens fruit bowls for dessert each evening, so we are also on top of all of the fruit.

Normally I'm awash with zucchini this time of the year, but a critter of some sort has pulled every zucchini (small, large, fully grown, blossoms, etc) off of the plants. I'm so irritated! We need to put netting on them, but that's a giant hassle.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4191 on: July 13, 2023, 08:18:22 AM »
We are well on our way eating up the meat in the top freezer drawer, which is the only place we store meat. Only 10 portions to go. After a few days vacation, we will have another 3 week left to finish that before we move to another house.

DH says he usually googles on ingredients and recipee and then finds a dish to make from what we have.

After the vacation, I will make use that method to make a dish with pasta that looks like rice. DH thinks it is a stupid product and it is better to eat either rice or pasta. I could also bring it along on the vacation and cook it on the campsite, rather than buying new pasta. I won't buy it again. Unfortunately I bought 2 bags last time and the second one has been staring at me for a year or two, or maybe three. Luckily pasta is a dried product and can be eaten for a long time.

Normally I'm awash with zucchini this time of the year, but a critter of some sort has pulled every zucchini (small, large, fully grown, blossoms, etc) off of the plants. I'm so irritated! We need to put netting on them, but that's a giant hassle.

So annoying. I do think you can get new zucchinis this season, as my are still flowering.
I think one of my two squashes is finally building a female flower. Otherwise it has only produced male flowers.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4192 on: July 14, 2023, 10:47:04 AM »
Post fumigation I had to do a big shop to restock us with fish, chicken, vegetables, and some pantry items.  Living with young adults, I'm finding it difficult to plan the proteins for dinners, as sometimes they say they will be here but change their minds, and sometimes they have extra guests.  Cooking fish or boneless/skinless chicken breast from frozen is working to eliminate food waste, even though the chicken is more expensive than buying whole chickens or fresh chicken on sale.  I double check with the young adults about 90 minutes before we plan to eat, and pull the meat down accordingly.

We're getting through the 15# of potatoes purchased 7/2.  I made a 5# potato salad for the 4th of July that we ate for several days afterward.  We've had baked potatoes twice, and there are about 3.5# left.  Usually potatoes soften and sprout quickly this time of year for us, but we've gotten lucky.  I plan to cook the rest of the potatoes Saturday as a big batch of Batata Bhaji.  I have a bag of sweet potatoes to cook tonight -- I scrub them then cut them in half and cook as much as I can fit in the Instant Pot, then puree the leftovers to have with breakfast.

I finished off some leftover cooked broccoli last night, and DH made a green salad as we bought lots of salad makings and then he fell off on it.  We had that with baked potatoes and chicken cooked from frozen.  I had purchased bell peppers to add to salads, and it turns out he adds the tiniest amount (I'll add half a bell pepper but he says that's too much).  So I've been pulling out the cleaned bell pepper pieces he doesn't put in the salad and setting them in front of my son as a snack.

I froze 12 ripe bananas this week, as it's hot and I'd rather not bake muffins.  They're nice in smoothies.  All of the apples got eaten, as did the 8# box of honey mangoes I bought.  We also finished off the two seedless watermelons I bought 7/1.  This week there wasn't much fruit on sale, so I bought bananas again and we'll eat frozen fruit.

The lesson I learned today is that Sprouts no longer has good produce prices, or at least isn't putting much on a really good sale.  I had wanted to switch back to doing my weekly shopping there unless the regional chain had a good produce sale, and then just hitting Costco once a month.  I'm trying to simplify and not end up at more than one store per week and definitely not go more than one day per week, even if it costs a little more, but those prices weren't just a "little more".

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4193 on: July 14, 2023, 01:33:48 PM »
@K_in_the_kitchen - I relate so much to the challenges of feeding teens, & their unpredictable schedules! This is why we frequently have leftovers. Mine are also almost always between events (sports), and depending on the weather, intensity of the workout, overall appetite, etc, they may not want to eat before practice, or after, or prefer a light snack, etc. It makes meal planning really difficult!

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #4194 on: July 14, 2023, 04:49:08 PM »
Thank you MaybeBabyMustache and fuzzy math for your suggestions. I shall try them out when DH is back from an Outward Bound experience near the Austrian border. While he is out and about (he is rarely gone by himself) I feel like a teenager home alone. It is hard not to eat all sorts of rubbish while no one is looking

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4195 on: July 14, 2023, 10:53:09 PM »
- working through some kielbasa that the kids won't eat
- made the last of the scavenged broccoli for the kids
- made sheet pan veggies from a variety of things that have been languishing in the fridge - onion, a sweet potato, rainbow carrots and a purple cauliflower
- finished off a big yogurt with some jarred peaches the kids had abandoned

It feels like most of my existence is just being the bottom feeder among all the picky people in my home. I also do that with mostly empty toothpastes.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4196 on: July 14, 2023, 11:05:28 PM »
It feels like most of my existence is just being the bottom feeder among all the picky people in my home. I also do that with mostly empty toothpastes.

If you'd prefer a different nickname, we called my dad "the human garbage disposal" when we were kids and picky eaters and he served the same role in the family... ;-)

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4197 on: July 15, 2023, 09:57:04 AM »

My DH is our "human garbage disposal".  I used to be the one to finish the toothpaste, but at some point I gave everyone their own toothpaste and I don't even brush my teeth in the same room as them.  It used to drive me crazy that DH would want a new tube when I knew I could get 1-2 more weeks out of it, but I had to lay down my sword.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4198 on: July 15, 2023, 10:01:47 AM »
@K_in_the_kitchen - I relate so much to the challenges of feeding teens, & their unpredictable schedules! This is why we frequently have leftovers. Mine are also almost always between events (sports), and depending on the weather, intensity of the workout, overall appetite, etc, they may not want to eat before practice, or after, or prefer a light snack, etc. It makes meal planning really difficult!

Mine are young adults now, and while I'd rather not be cooking for them every night, we're still providing room and board (one working on undergrad, one taking a gap year before grad school).  I can't abide the mess and stress if they have to feed themselves, and don't want the expense.

They are terrible at eating leftovers, so I really don't want to cook chicken or fish that they won't eat.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4199 on: July 15, 2023, 12:00:10 PM »

My DH is our "human garbage disposal".  I used to be the one to finish the toothpaste, but at some point I gave everyone their own toothpaste and I don't even brush my teeth in the same room as them.  It used to drive me crazy that DH would want a new tube when I knew I could get 1-2 more weeks out of it, but I had to lay down my sword.

I've had to do this sooooo many times. It keeps my marriage alive. ;-) And, not worrying about every dollar spent at Costco (why duplicates?!) is cheaper than a divorce.