Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 205784 times)

wintersun

• Bristles
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #350 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
Swick,

I have never used the irish moss but I got it for thickening things like raw parfaits.  The nori I am thinking of using to wrap hors d'ouevres. 

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #351 on: March 05, 2015, 04:47:08 PM »
Time to check in again.  We have been doing SO WELL with this, for the most part.
Down to one box of salmon fillets in the freezer, and we've been managing to work at least one fillet into our weekly meal planning.  Still need to dig out all of the freezer-burned ones and cook those for the dog.
Almost out of moose, except for some roasts.  Those might end up moving with us, but if they do it's not a big deal.
Used a bunch of our frozen celery in the past few weeks.
Making some progress on the baking items, too, and the jars of preserved food.  Also, the only noodles we have left are half a box of lasagna noodles.
Even with all the progress we've made, I still feel like our house is full of food, which it is.  I just had to stock up on some things, like dog food and frozen peas (my daughter loves to have peas as a snack) and frozen fruit.  But I also know that they'll get used up really fast, so I'm trying to focus on all the progress we've made on things which don't get used up as quickly.
It's very odd to think that we're in the home stretch (about 3 months to go).  Doesn't really feel like it yet, with the winter blues (March sucks here--the fifth month of winter is tiring, especially knowing that spring is still about 2 months away) and mid-semester stress and whatnot.  But, we're hanging in there and things will get much easier soon.  At the very least, the return of the sun means that it's easier to get outside so we don't have cabin fever.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #352 on: March 06, 2015, 09:52:35 AM »
Recently:

Used the rest of a 1/2 bag frozen green beans with a half jar Alfredo sauce.

Made gumbo and used up a bit of frozen tomatoes and 2 cups homemade broth.

Finished the frozen tomato paste on Eggplant Parmesan.

Next week is eat out of the freezer week since I'm closing in on my shop once a month day.  There is leftover gumbo and elk meatballs to nosh on.  Oh, and some African peanut soup.  :)

And I've been working on leftover alcohol from my BD party last month.  :D

If anyone has a recipe for spicy Italian ground sausage, I'm all ears.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #353 on: March 06, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »
Recently:

Next week is eat out of the freezer week since I'm closing in on my shop once a month day.  There is leftover gumbo and elk meatballs to nosh on.  Oh, and some African peanut soup.  :)

For spicy Italian sausage, I love this recipe! http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

So good, and makes a ton of healthy, delicious servings. I make a tray once every couple of months and then freeze it...have a whole stack in my freezer right now, cut into individual portions, and eat them down as I go along! 

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #354 on: March 06, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
Recently:

For spicy Italian sausage, I love this recipe! http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

So good, and makes a ton of healthy, delicious servings. I make a tray once every couple of months and then freeze it...have a whole stack in my freezer right now, cut into individual portions, and eat them down as I go along!

This is perfect!  Thank you!  And I appreciate the fact it's low carb.  :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #355 on: March 07, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
Recently:

Thank you, I know what we're having for dinner now!

cats

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #356 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:36 PM »
We have actually been doing pretty well with this, but now it's time to get serious as we probably ARE moving in the next 3 months.  I feel like we don't have "much" in the way of food on hand right now but I need to do an inventory this weekend and make a plan for using up the rest of it...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: March 12, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »
We've gone through a lot of can goods in the past month.  This week I'm attacking our freezer.  We have a lot of food from my bulk cooking (frozen as single servings)and premade Trader Joe's food from impulse purchases. 

Monday night: We had penne with a pesto sauce made from frozen basil.  I also had a small bag of pine nuts (used half the bag).
                        Made a double batch of granola bars.  We used all of our quick oats, all of our honey (used 3 different containers), and a few cups of stale Cheerios.  The granola bars will be breakfast for the week.
Tuesday night: Frozen TJ's naan.  Made hummus from a can of chickpeas.  We each had a glass of milk to finish off our half gallon. 
Last night:       We split a bag of penne arrabiatta and chicken tamales (both from Trader Joe's).  We still have 4 more tamales in the freezer. 

For lunch, I've been eating the frozen single serving meals from my bulk cooking.  Unfortunately it has been a week of my biggest cooking flops--a bland curry, meatballs, and (not) butter chicken from Budget Bytes.  I need to force myself to eat the mediocre things I cook, but it's just so hard. 

We have a lot more stuff in our freezer!  I'm going to defrost a few chicken breasts for dinner tomorrow night.  Tonight, I will have another random TJ's premade food meal.  Tamales and mashed sweet potatoes. 

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: March 12, 2015, 06:44:09 PM »
This week is going better.  Spent $35 on dairy, eggs, fruit/veggies and a few necessary household cleaners.  Found a use for the ham hock - lentil and ham soup.  Yum!

Starting to see the back of the freezer and empty shelf space in the pantry.  Only sad part is realizing both spaces need a good cleaning.  :-(

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: March 12, 2015, 07:41:06 PM »
I'm leaving town for a week in about a week, so planning to try and avoid any sort of grocery shop this week.  There is plenty of food here to eat!

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #360 on: March 16, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
New goal is to reduce monthly spending from $300 to $200.  Spent $195.05 last Friday.

We ate last month's remaining cowboy beans from the freezer with last night's smoked ham.  Delish!  Thursday night we ate half the leftover elk meatballs from the freezer.  And there's STILL more....

Am planning on making coconut shrimp this upcoming weekend to use up the last bit of last year's dried coconut.  Wednesday I'm going to make ham hock and beans with last night's ham hock...  Now, about that last can of evaporated milk.... ;)

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
I love hearing how everyone is doing!

I'm totally bummed that I forgot about a acorn squash in our cold room and it went moldy :(  Our wipe board on the fridge idea has saved quite a few other odds and ends from going off though.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
New goal is to reduce monthly spending from $300 to $200.  Spent $195.05 last Friday.

We ate last month's remaining cowboy beans from the freezer with last night's smoked ham.  Delish!  Thursday night we ate half the leftover elk meatballs from the freezer.  And there's STILL more....

Am planning on making coconut shrimp this upcoming weekend to use up the last bit of last year's dried coconut.  Wednesday I'm going to make ham hock and beans with last night's ham hock...  Now, about that last can of evaporated milk.... ;)

Here's an Australian recipe that uses evaporated milk, from the $21 dollar challenge cook book:

Carnation Pasta
300g spaghetti or pasta
1 tbsp oil
3 cups sliced vegetables (e.g. red capsicum (pepper), courgette (zucchini), mushrooms)
375ml can Carnation evaporated milk
1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
3⁄4 cup grated cheese
Salt & pepper
Cook pasta to directions. Heat oil in pan, add vegetables and cook two minutes. Add combined Carnation milk, cornflour and mustard. Bring to boil, stirring. Stir in cheese and simmer for one minute. Toss through cooked pasta and season to taste.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #363 on: March 18, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
I have lots of empty spaces these days, which is gratifying, and I think I may put a jug of water in the freezer to save a few pennies on electricity since it is so empty.

My problem foods are weighing on me, they are still there, untouched, waving at me from the cupboard, or are they giving me the middle finger? 

I think it is time to make a few specific food commitments or I may be staring the same things in the eye next March.
1.  All dried beans, peas cooked by April 7th
2.  All irish moss consumed by April 7th
3.  Donate the canned soups which I will never touch by this weekend
4.  Corned beef consumed by this weekend
5.  Pick three vitamin type supplements and use daily until gone, rinse, repeat.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #364 on: March 18, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »
We've been successful eating from our freezer.  We had a few random meals, and we still have quite a few items left.  We have a lot of premade meatballs (IKEA and TJ's turkey) in the freezer.  We have a few more tamales, a few frozen dinners, lots of frozen vegetables, and a little bit of frozen fruit. 

My big success last night was using a few cups of stale Honey Nut Cheerios in the granola bars I made.  Normally I would just toss the box.  I also used part of a bag of sliced almonds that have been on the shelf for a while.  The granola bars are weekday breakfasts. 

I also have two bananas that are overly ripe, so I will try to make a small loaf of banana bread tonight. 

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »
I don't know how I ended up with so much cocoa powder in my house.  I was assigned to bring cookies to an event tonight and am making chocolate crinkles to use up some of that cocoa.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »
I don't know how I ended up with so much cocoa powder in my house.  I was assigned to bring cookies to an event tonight and am making chocolate crinkles to use up some of that cocoa.

I know the feeling! Last year I ended up making a couple of different flavours of "Instant Hot Chocolate" mix for Christmas to use up some of my surplus. Actually, I've had requests for more so I will probably end up doing it again this year. I have some TJ freeze dried raspberries I haven't had a chance to use that would be fun.

I used up some in some chocolate cupcakes that took to a family potluck last night too. The spices and things like cocoa are really my downfall, I feel like I am using them all the time, but never enough to feel like I am putting a dent in my supply. Next up...finding a use for beet powder...

CaribbeanMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »
We've done well with our Lenten abstinence from meat, alcohol and soda for the past 30 days. Today we're starting this challenge today. Thanks to all of you, for the great info on this post!

Day #1 menu - breakfast (eggs and spinach omelet), lunch/ dinner - (stewed fish with peppers and onions, rice, salad).

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »

Here's an Australian recipe that uses evaporated milk, from the $21 dollar challenge cook book:

Carnation Pasta
300g spaghetti or pasta
1 tbsp oil
3 cups sliced vegetables (e.g. red capsicum (pepper), courgette (zucchini), mushrooms)
375ml can Carnation evaporated milk
1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
3⁄4 cup grated cheese
Salt & pepper
Cook pasta to directions. Heat oil in pan, add vegetables and cook two minutes. Add combined Carnation milk, cornflour and mustard. Bring to boil, stirring. Stir in cheese and simmer for one minute. Toss through cooked pasta and season to taste.

Awesome!  Thank you for taking the time to post it.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week was an "eat it or freeze it" week.  DH and I focused on eating all the leftovers (breakfast casserole, chicken and eggplant casserole, some baby bok choy, buffalo chicken salad in a doggy bag, etc.).  A leftover blue cheese burger patty went into the freezer.  I processed a load of fresh produce Wednesday night.  He said he felt like a vegetarian at lunch yesterday.  :D

Sunday I'm going to make coconut shrimp to use the last of some dried coconut bought last fall.  I'll serve with zoodles (zucchini noodles) since I mistakenly bought some more zucchini when we already had some.  :)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #369 on: March 20, 2015, 06:24:21 PM »
I cooked one of the dreaded cans of soup and added onions, stewed tomatoes and cabbage to make it palatable and topped it with goat cheese, scallions and bacon.  it was actually quite good and now I can check off one more box on my eating down the pantry list.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #370 on: March 21, 2015, 10:33:55 PM »
Any tips/recipes for using up a liter of maple syrup? I got a jug from Costco late last year, but I've decided to cut down on carbs (so no pancakes). I've been using it as a sweetener for tea, but it's going to take a while to use up a liter of it...

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #371 on: March 22, 2015, 01:16:00 AM »
Any tips/recipes for using up a liter of maple syrup? I got a jug from Costco late last year, but I've decided to cut down on carbs (so no pancakes). I've been using it as a sweetener for tea, but it's going to take a while to use up a liter of it...

I use it basically as a sugar substitute - especially tasty as a sweetener in homemade granola :)

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #372 on: March 23, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »

I use it basically as a sugar substitute - especially tasty as a sweetener in homemade granola :)

Agree.  It is also great in baked oatmeal. 

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #373 on: March 23, 2015, 05:25:47 PM »

Salad dressing or marianade (I have a lime/maple/chipotle/oil dressing that works well on almost anything, especially salmon)
sweetener for lemonade
on top of plain yogurt with some fruit
instead of palm sugar for coconut curry or Vietnamese dressings or satay or peanut sauce
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #374 on: March 23, 2015, 06:20:29 PM »
Salad dressing or marianade (I have a lime/maple/chipotle/oil dressing that works well on almost anything, especially salmon)

Ohh, any chance you can share? I think you have a dressing that combines ALL my Hubby's favorite foods :)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #375 on: March 23, 2015, 10:59:37 PM »

Ohh, any chance you can share? I think you have a dressing that combines ALL my Hubby's favorite foods :)

haha, me too! DH drinks leftover lime juice straight, and goes through like a liter of maple syrup a month. And who doesn't love chipotle.

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #376 on: March 24, 2015, 04:56:12 AM »

I modified & extremely simplified a couple of recipes from the Rebar cookbook (Rebar is/was a restaurant in Victoria BC), combining the dressing for the Santa Fe Pasta salad and the Painted Desert salad.

the base recipes are here, but I don't follow them, just the idea
http://seachangeseafoodsandgifts.ca/painted-desert-salad/
http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2007/08/santa-fe-pasta-salad.html

No real amounts, just a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, a tablespoon of lime juice, 1-2 tsps of maple syrup, 1-2 tsps of chipotle puree, salt.  Then adjust to taste.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »
[quote author=plainjane link=topic=23139.msg601121#msg601121 date=
I modified & extremely simplified a couple of recipes from the Rebar cookbook (Rebar is/was a restaurant in Victoria BC), combining the dressing for the Santa Fe Pasta salad and the Painted Desert salad.

the base recipes are here, but I don't follow them, just the idea
http://seachangeseafoodsandgifts.ca/painted-desert-salad/
http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2007/08/santa-fe-pasta-salad.html

No real amounts, just a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, a tablespoon of lime juice, 1-2 tsps of maple syrup, 1-2 tsps of chipotle puree, salt.  Then adjust to taste.
[/quote]

That is awesome, Thanks plainjane! The recipes look great, and I know my mom has their recipe book - it's one of her favorite places.  I'll have to borrow it from her :)

I used up the last of my dried apricots, left over canned tomatos and some rosemary that I was given in supper last night. I made a take on a tagine http://www.alanabread.com/chicken-apricot-ginger-rosemary-tagine/ it is one of my favorite recipes.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #378 on: March 30, 2015, 05:52:30 AM »
Hi everyone, loving this thread and all the creative ideas you come up with!

I have a jar of pumpkin pie spice languishing in the cupboard. Being a Brit I don't have much use for it, but I'm thinking it would add some nice flavour to homemade granola, or muffins, or pancakes. Yay!

I also have a question I wonder if anyone can help with. I'm going to make burritos tonight (ground beef filling), and I often hear of people freezing them for lunches etc. I'd love to try this, but I'm not sure about defrosting / reheating. Is it best to microwave straight from frozen? Or defrost first? I'm thinking the tortilla will go soggy if I defrost, but I wasn't sure about microwaving cooked frozen meat. Would I use a defrost setting, or just go 'high' from the outset? Thanks.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »
Hi everyone, loving this thread and all the creative ideas you come up with!

I have a jar of pumpkin pie spice languishing in the cupboard. Being a Brit I don't have much use for it, but I'm thinking it would add some nice flavour to homemade granola, or muffins, or pancakes. Yay!

I also have a question I wonder if anyone can help with. I'm going to make burritos tonight (ground beef filling), and I often hear of people freezing them for lunches etc. I'd love to try this, but I'm not sure about defrosting / reheating. Is it best to microwave straight from frozen? Or defrost first? I'm thinking the tortilla will go soggy if I defrost, but I wasn't sure about microwaving cooked frozen meat. Would I use a defrost setting, or just go 'high' from the outset? Thanks.
I usually stick with rice, beans & cheese in my frozen burritos, so beef might be different.  I just wrap a frozen burrito in a paper towel and microwave on high. 

I made cookies for a picnic with friends instead of buying cupcakes.  I had to go out and buy chocolate chips, but I used items we had in the house for the rest.  I made thumbprint cookies with lemon curd (a gift) and plum jam (a gift).  I also made flourless chocolate chip cookies (http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/04/flourless-chocolate-cookies/). 

We've been slowly eating down our freezer.  I ate a frozen pot pie for lunch last week.  We have a lot of frozen vegetables and fruit to eat now. 

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2015, 07:23:02 PM »

My technique is (1) defrost for 2 minutes, (2) heat for 30 seconds, (3) let cool for a few minutes (or else it can be pretty molten). This works for me - the tortilla isn't soggy at all.

I should say, usually the burrito has been in my bag for a couple of hours when I go through this process, so it's probably somewhat thawed already.

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #381 on: March 30, 2015, 08:00:13 PM »
My brother is a hunter and I have a whole bunch of moose stew and sausage that has been sitting in my freezer for about a year.

I simply bbq'd the sausage and it was....OK i guess.  Have a few more packs to go and I'll BBQ again with no other alternative.  I'm thinking if i threw it in a pasta dish it might mellow the overall taste.  Any other ideas?

I have slow cooked the stew before and it was pretty decent but not a homerun.  Anyone have any moose stew recipes?

Overall we have done really well the first three months of the year.  Have spent $425 on food (two of us) on average each month to start the year.  This includes toiletries and cat/dog food.  Where we live groceries are pretty expensive so might not be outstanding for others.  This is alot lower than the $600+ we have been averaging.  If we do eat out it's either with a Groupon (whenever they have a discount deal) or at a place that has a weakly deal such as Wing Wednesdays or whatever.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:33 AM »
Thanks Cressida and 4alpacas for the burrito advice! I'll try some with just beans and some with meat and see which I prefer, now I have a better idea of how to reheat. This is making me hungry!

Because I had been working on emptying the freezer I was able to take advantage of a great deal when I saw it - Hereford beef nearing it's sell-by date marked down from 4.19 (for a 1/2 lb) to 99p! I bought everything they had in stock, hence the burritos! I see lots of marked down meat due to poor stock control in a local store; my plan is to always use meat from the freezer for meals and to only buy meat that I see reduced. Since we only have it a few times a week this should be very doable.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #383 on: March 31, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »
My brother is a hunter and I have a whole bunch of moose stew and sausage that has been sitting in my freezer for about a year.

I simply bbq'd the sausage and it was....OK i guess.  Have a few more packs to go and I'll BBQ again with no other alternative.  I'm thinking if i threw it in a pasta dish it might mellow the overall taste.  Any other ideas?

I have slow cooked the stew before and it was pretty decent but not a homerun.  Anyone have any moose stew recipes?

Moose can be pretty hit or miss, I would personally take the meat out of the casing for the sausages and use it in a chili, stretched ( and tamed) with some ground beef if it is really strong tasting. Also, Spices...the more spices you use with moose the better :)

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »

Overall we have done really well the first three months of the year.  Have spent $425 on food (two of us) on average each month to start the year.  This includes toiletries and cat/dog food.  Where we live groceries are pretty expensive so might not be outstanding for others.  This is alot lower than the $600+ we have been averaging.  If we do eat out it's either with a Groupon (whenever they have a discount deal) or at a place that has a weakly deal such as Wing Wednesdays or whatever.

I'm not sure what the exact recipe is but my MIL said that she made moose stew recently with red wine AND Guinness as a base and it turned out really well.  I'm guessing that the strong flavors of those mellowed the moose and the acids tenderized it a lot.  Not sure what herbs and spices she used, though.  Or perhaps try a boeuf bourguignon?  It's strongly flavored and utilizes a very long, slow cook so the meat will have plenty of time to tenderize.

Most of the moose I use is ground or as a roast, sorry.

I hear you on the grocery prices.  My husband, toddler and I manage to only spend about $400/month, but we buy very little meat because we've had so much moose and fish in the freezer, and I garden/preserve during the summers.  I also do things like making our own bread to save money.  :(  Wish I could have the grocery budget a lot of people on these forums claim.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #385 on: April 01, 2015, 08:19:51 AM »
Just successfully made pilau rice! Yay! That will make our occasional 'takeaways' even better - I usually buy a premade curry and rice to share from the supermarket, and then we get a real naan from the takeaway. Now I will make a huge batch and freeze in portions so it's just as easy as reheating the bought one on those no-cook night!

Recipe was easy if anyone wants it - melt a large knob of butter in a pan. Add 1 cup of basmati rice and stir until coated. Add 2tspn garam masala (not sure how authentic this recipe is, I was trying to use this up), stir to coat, and then add 1.5 cups boiling water. Cover with tight-fitting lid, simmer on lowest setting for 10-15 minutes without stirring until rice is done.

Which spice jar to tackle next...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #386 on: April 02, 2015, 02:05:12 AM »
Amalgamated the contents of 2 deep freezers into 1 today --- gave me a really good idea of what we have left and will help with meal planning. Sadly, had to throw out some badly freezer burned items. *Bonus: power bill will drop until late summer/early fall when we add farm fresh berries, 50 chickens and a side of beef. **Double Bonus: single freezer now running is smaller, very full and located in the cool basement -- excellent for our power consumption!

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #387 on: April 07, 2015, 01:32:34 PM »
Finally ate down the freezer to the point that I only had 2 servings max of chicken, fish, beef and pork.  Ordered 1/2 pig and should be nearly out of meat when it is ready for pick-up. 

Made lentil and ham bone soup that was utterly fantastic.  No more throwing away scrumptious ham bones. 

Pantry contents have slowly been depleted, prompting DH to state "we have no food".  I pointed to all the canned and frozen vegetables, flour, rice, etc.  To which he responded "We have a bunch of items to make food, but we have no food!".  I took this as a compliment that we were eating healthy items instead of processed crap.  DH was not amused his scolding was turned into a compliment.  :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: April 07, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »

Pantry contents have slowly been depleted, prompting DH to state "we have no food".  I pointed to all the canned and frozen vegetables, flour, rice, etc.  To which he responded "We have a bunch of items to make food, but we have no food!".

Sounds like my complaintypants teenagers: "We don't have any FOOD! We just have ingredients!"

Used up a bag of perogies from the deep freeze - fried them and some onions and added a dollop of sour cream to each plate.

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: April 08, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »
I tried stuffing the contents of the chest freezer into the upright freezer and it didn't work.  But the chest freezer is *dangerously* low.  Also, I did find a whole bunch more dog fish (I mean, fish only fit to cook up for the dog because it's so freezer-burned -- most of it is labeled 2010, ouch) so we're saving money on dog food and it's not only really good for her but she loves it.
Now if only I could get our ridiculously picky cat to eat it too, but he hates anything but a few flavors of wet food and his dry stuff.
I also made a meal plan for this week and most of it is, you probably guessed it, fish.  So sick of fish.
We still have about four moose roasts which need to be taken care of.  I'm thinking we'll use one or two as a duty meal and try to give the others away to friends.  Other than that our only supply of moose is four more 1-lb. packs of ground moose meat and about 12 packs of moose jerky sticks which I'm trying to get my husband to eat (I can't stand them).
Found and used one last jar of tomatoes I canned last summer, used some frozen rhubarb as a dessert for an Easter potluck, and used one of our boxes of cornstarch.  Our cupboards are looking mighty bare.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #390 on: April 08, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
It is time for me to look at the door of the fridge again and to eat up those processed condiments never to replace them.  Also, it is time to get serious about the nutritional supplements -they cost a bundle and I do not want to waste them.

My fridge, freezer and pantry got super low a few weeks back and the pantry is still very empty looking which i am enjoying.  I think I would enjoy the English method of having a tiny fridge and shopping each day for fresh food- somehow storing food makes me tired.  It is as though all the cans and boxes and bags are saying "Slacker!  You haven't eaten me yet!!!"

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #391 on: April 08, 2015, 03:50:24 PM »
Trying to clean out the freezer before the U-pick season begins.  Last night we ate raviolis with kale pesto; tonight we are having black bean enchiladas with a tomatillo sauce from last fall.  I can't quite do one of those "don't shop in April" challenges because I'd run out of basics but I am determined to clean out this freezer! 

cats

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #392 on: April 09, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
Well, it turns out we are moving in three weeks!  Just across town, so moving non-perishables is not a huge deal, however....we are going to need to clean out the freezer!  This weekend I am NOT going to cook any main dishes for the week ahead, we're going to live entirely off freezer meals.  Kind of excited :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: April 10, 2015, 05:25:11 AM »
Well, it turns out we are moving in three weeks!  Just across town, so moving non-perishables is not a huge deal, however....we are going to need to clean out the freezer!  This weekend I am NOT going to cook any main dishes for the week ahead, we're going to live entirely off freezer meals.  Kind of excited :)

Good luck with the move cats, and enjoy a week off cooking!

I am enjoying making lots of salad dressings, but I have a question, if anyone can answer it.

I don't like mustard, so what else can I put in dressing to 'emulsify' things? I'm just doing oil / vinegar / seasoning at present, and I'm getting some lovely flavours, but the consistency is not right. Would a pinch of cornflour work to bring everything together?

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #394 on: April 10, 2015, 06:01:25 AM »
I am enjoying making lots of salad dressings, but I have a question, if anyone can answer it.

I don't like mustard, so what else can I put in dressing to 'emulsify' things? I'm just doing oil / vinegar / seasoning at present, and I'm getting some lovely flavours, but the consistency is not right. Would a pinch of cornflour work to bring everything together?

Egg yolk can work, but consistency is generally a question of more/better whisking.  Perhaps a bit of buttermilk? 

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #395 on: April 10, 2015, 07:43:24 AM »

Egg yolk can work, but consistency is generally a question of more/better whisking.  Perhaps a bit of buttermilk?

Also try adjusting your ratio of oil and vinegar.  3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar makes a thicker dressing.  How do you mix it?  I've had great luck with the jar shaking method. 

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #396 on: April 10, 2015, 08:53:21 PM »

Also try adjusting your ratio of oil and vinegar.  3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar makes a thicker dressing.  How do you mix it?  I've had great luck with the jar shaking method.

Corn starch won't act as a binder unless you heat it.

How do you feel about mayo? If you don't want to use straight raw egg yolk, the egg yolk in mayo is a great emulsifier. A tbsp in most dressings will hold everything together. Adds a creaminess to the mix, which can be ok - depends on the dressing I guess. I think people use chia and flax for this stuff too, but I think chia seeds have a texture like gritty boogers.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #397 on: April 14, 2015, 01:41:32 AM »
Thanks for the dressing suggestions everyone! I mix it in a Chefn bottle with whisk kind of built in if you know what I mean, but if that's not available I use a jar. Generally use a 2:1 ratio (just because it's marked on the bottle!) so will try upping the oil.

I'm not a massive fan of mayo - wouldn't put it on a sandwich for example, but I'm fine with it as an ingredient or in small amounts. I'm guessing it would make the dressing spoil more quickly though? I will certainly give it a try in a small batch and see how I like it, thank you.

I'm also going to expand my personal kitchen challenge a little and add in kitchen consumables that I want to use up and not replace. Already finished - those ice cube bags where you fill them with water and then freeze them, and allegedly they then break up into perfect ice cubes in a bag, but actually, in my experience you just end up with ice welded to the side of a plastic bag in ridiculous shapes. All gone. Next up, paper sandwich bags which I thought would be better for the environment than plastic but which don't work because they allow snacks to get soggy, and bread to dry out. Nice idea, but will not be replacing.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #398 on: April 14, 2015, 12:20:28 PM »
My favorite homemade salad dressing lately is a blend of mayo and sour cream with a squirt of lemon juice, dashes of onion and garlic powder (and whatever else I'm in the mood for) and a bit of sweetener (I use Splenda, but the recipe calls for sugar).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is Freezer Fixin's week!

Yesterday:  Leftover blue cheese burger patty for lunch.  Leftover elk meatballs and African peanut soup for supper.

Today:  More leftover elk meatballs for lunch.  Tonight (DH is out of town) I'll eat leftover chicken gumbo and rest of the soup.

Also found in the freezer were two homemade burritos which went into DH's lunch yesterday.  We have a bunch of homemade chicken broth, so I'll make soup next week.

So glad I started using freezer tape last year to label everything.  It takes the guess work out, LOL!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: April 14, 2015, 10:14:42 PM »
Yay! 

I logged in after a long long time precisely because my recent attempts to throw out less food got me started thinking about the folks around here.  I knew that there would be some kind of grocery/cooking challenge going on, but it's especially nice to see another "Eat All the Food in Your House" thread.  Gotta go look for the "Fire Drill Thread" too.

Anyway, on topic ...

Last night I cooked two batches of rice and veg to make single serve freezer meals - I made sure I used up ends and bits of veg like the last few pieces of limp celery, part of a head of cabbage that's been in the fridge for a bit, and peeled and finely chopped broccoli stalks.  And one pot used some tofu that has been in my freezer for a long time - but defrosted it and checked it out and it seemed ok, so in it went!

Also made 3 small quiches, using the tops of aforementioned broccoli, an onion (I almost never finish up a bag before they sprout) and all but 1 egg that I had in the fridge.  I saved the egg, because I also have a chocolate cake mix and some defrosted-from-the-freezer pumpkin puree, which together with the egg will make lovely muffins.  The cake mix came from my mom's place, when I helped her clean out her cupboards recently.  (As if I don't have enough stuff in my own cupboards to use up!)

Sadly, I did find bags of both couscous and quinoa in my cupboard that had been there so long that they'd gone off, based on the smell.  You'd think I'd never participated in a gauntlet challenge before ... crazy!
'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West