Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1195972 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #3150 on: April 26, 2021, 07:29:18 PM »
Here's what we've been up to:

-Turned overripe bananas into muffins
-Cut spinach from the garden, added the past their prime baby bok choy, and sauteed for dinner. Added a small container of ponzu sauce, from a meal prep kit from months ago
-Served leftover salmon to my husband
-Made a quesadilla to use the last of cheese my parents bought for lasagna
-Used garden cilantro for curry & pico de gallo. Bonus, used garden jalapenos for the pico de gallo
-Juiced up all of our lemons, and now have a giant jug in the fridge. Fortunately/unfortunately, a neighbor dropped off 15 lbs of more lemons in a door ditch style drop off, because she has so many her tree is literally falling over. So, more lemons for me :-)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3151 on: April 28, 2021, 01:23:13 PM »
Anytime, @MaybeBabyMustache!  :)

~I baked up the rest of the mini quiche Saturday night.  Yay!
~Served the rest of the rather sad cherry tomatoes with last night's catfish
~Blueberries were used as part of a snack plate in between chores on Saturday, and the rest in blueberry pancakes the next day
~Two very ripe avocados were served with Monday's meatless salad wraps and in a crema on top of last night's catfish
~I chopped up the other celery bunch to be eaten for lunches
~I ate the rest of the Halo Top ice cream and used up a jar of the homemade "hot fudge" I made with the failed Christmas fudge
~I'll saute the yellow squash and zucchini to serve with the burgers this Friday.  Because the grill will be on, DH will make his infamous cheddar, cream cheese, and bacon wrapped jalapenos

It will soon be time for a fresh produce restock.  :)

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #3152 on: April 28, 2021, 07:23:48 PM »
Made shakshuka ( eggs poached in tomato sauce) with some leftover spaghetti sauce, a can of crushed tomatoes and a little can of tomato sauce. Served over some French bread I had in the freezer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3153 on: May 04, 2021, 07:49:27 PM »
We're clearing our vacation house out of stuff, so I'll be adding in those wins as well.

-Brought tea in my suit case, and have already started making my way through the stash
-Cut spinach from the garden, and used in dinner
-Used up two leftover hamburger buns for dinner tonight
-Finished off the remaining burgers my husband made this weekend (leftovers tonight)
-Found a package of takeout ranch lingering in the fridge (I've got nothing, other than...I have teens). Served that with the burgers & the teen diners were quite happy.
-A neighbor gave us a bag of groceries as she was on her way out of town. Kiddo 1 polished off one of the apples, and I've added celery to our salad. We knew we wouldn't eat the gorgeous loaf of bakery bread, so I redistributed that to another neighbor.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3154 on: May 06, 2021, 05:49:10 PM »
We've been making good progress this week, largely because I was out of town over the weekend, so didn't have time to prep new food:

-Defrosted chicken curry. Had that for one dinner, a lunch, and have enough leftover for one more dinner. Used up leftover rice with the curry.
-Keep cutting back the spinach daily, & using that for dinner. I've been sauteeing it, but used it for a salad tonight instead. Also, used radishes from the garden.
-Keeping with the theme, cut back a bunch of basil that's now been taken over by a giant tomato plant in our raised beds. Used the basil on top of tonight's salad, and with the kebabs.
-Dinner tonight - kebabs & grilled tomatoes (both from the freezer). The kids will have them with toasted & buttered leftover hamburger buns.
-Also, convinced one of the kids to juice all of our lemons while I was out of town. I've been loving lemon water & drink a lot of it, but it's been giving me heart burn, so I'm back to regular water to see if that helps. Instead, I use the lemon juice with olive oil/salt/pepper as our salad dressing.
-Almost finished off the giant bag of Costco celery my husband bought. We had an issue with our shopping list app not syncing properly, and we didn't have a use for it, and those bags are big! Of course, a neighbor gave us a new bag of celery, so that comes next. ;-)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3155 on: May 07, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »
Phew what a week!

It's time to clear out our garage freezer to make room for the locally raised 1/4 cow we bought.  Lately:

~Had a leftover container of chicken chili I made earlier this year.
~Warmed up the leftover enchilada meat from last month and toasted it on the griddle with cheddar inside low carb tortillas.
~DH took a container of the enchiladas to work for lunch.
~Had two finally ripened avocado as a side with two different suppers.
~Rotated several packages of frozen veggies from the garage freezer to the kitchen freezer.
~Used up some baby spinach in a cauliflower cream spinach bake and in an antipasto salad.
~Last night we had the salmon filet and half bag of breaded shrimp with the rest of the antipasto salad.
~Sunday we'll use up a pound of store bought ground beef to make burgers and serve them in portobello buns.
~Been eating pork rinds and almonds as snacks to eat down the supply.
~Currently in the slow cooker is the 4 remaining chicken drumsticks from a few months ago.
~Next week we'll have another pound of store bought ground beef in a slow cooker meatloaf.

Warm weather is here, so it's time to start using the slow cooker again.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3156 on: May 07, 2021, 01:27:29 PM »
Nice work, @MountainGal . We need to clean out our freezer. We have so much in there, it's driving me bananas.

I did finish the last of the curry today, so one more item out of the freezer & fridge.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3157 on: May 12, 2021, 01:46:00 PM »
Thank you, @MaybeBabyMustache!

The garage freezer is now nearly empty.  All that is left are game hens (they don't fit well in the kitchen freezer) and tonight's frozen pizza.  I brought several pounds of store bought ground beef, bags of frozen veggies and blueberries, a few bags of leftover ham from Easter, and a ham hock to the kitchen freezer.    Lately:

~We warmed up the container of white chicken chili and ate it with a side salad
~I made a breakfast frittata with leftover ground beef and added eggs and cheddar
~DH brought the container of leftover ham hocks and beans for lunches this week
~The container of leftover chicken stir fry is here at the office for my lunch
~I'll bake the frozen Caulipower pizza and half the box of mac and cheese bites this evening
~Blueberries frozen last fall are finally gone, though I did find a small bag of frozen raspberries hiding in the freezer basket
~The yellow squash and zucchini were sauteed and stretched to three meals
~Sauteed the rest of the baby spinach and served it underneath our lightly breaded catfish fillets last night

It's grocery night tonight.  Looking forward to refilling our produce drawer.  :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3158 on: May 12, 2021, 03:34:33 PM »
We've made a tiny dent in our freezer supplies:
-I've eaten some Keto breakfast sandwiches for lunch
-I've made chicken sandwiches (chicken from the freezer) for the kids a few times
-We used a container of taco meat, & a package of kebabs

We've done a good job working through the fresh produce. We can't keep blueberries on hand, because the kids eat through them so quickly. We're talking 4-5 Costco sized packages of blueberries. Never have to worry about waste there. :-)

My husband accidentally bought two packages of bread at Costco (and, they are double loaves), but the teens managed to polish off 2.5 loaves, and I stuck the other package in the freezer, with the newly created space.

We keep trimming the spinach, herbs & harvesting radishes for our salads. I'm almost done with the second package of celery that a neighbor gave us. Hurrah.

I did have to toss some heavy cream that got pushed to the back of the fridge. I hate it when that happens.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3159 on: May 15, 2021, 10:53:36 AM »
Discovered I am going to need to travel several times this summer for family reasons, and we are coming up on hurricane season--I usually try to eat down the fridge and freezer in summer so that if we have a power outage I don't lose a lot of expensive food. I'm also ready to cut back on the size of the pantry I feel the need to keep on hand now that I'm fully vaccinated and can go to the grocery store more often.

Made a batch of tahini blondies and used up the end of a jar of sesame seeds.

Invented a pasta dish which used up a jar of sauce, bag of pasta, mushrooms that needed to go, sausage and shrimp.

Made a gnocchi recipe which used up gnocchi, asparagus and arugula.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3160 on: May 15, 2021, 10:56:30 AM »
-Ate the last of a breakfast burrito, I found buried in the depths of the freezer
-Continued to eat the garden radishes & spinach in our salads, and sauteeing the radish greens
-I try to avoid too many carbs, but my picky eater didn't like the Kodiak waffles I purchased, so I've finished off bag 1 of 2
-Finished about 1/2 of the tea I brought back from our vacation house we're selling

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3161 on: May 20, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »
Hi everyone!

~Package one of two locally raised turkey breast from January will go into a casserole this evening.  The casserole will use up the rest of the asparagus as well.
~DH and I had a snack plate for dinner last weekend which included the rest of the cucumber.
~My WFH salad Tuesday consisted of the rest of the turkey bacon which I won't buy anytime soon, LOL.
~I made tostadas out of shredded cheddar using up the rest of the wedge.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3162 on: May 20, 2021, 03:49:18 PM »
Now that I'm vaccinated, I'm ready to start eating up my COVID stockpile.  It's also spring, which means I need to eat the veggies in my freezer to make room for a new round this summer.  So, time to really focus!  The added bonus is this should result in healthier meals and of course lower grocery bills.

Today is black bean tacos, with canned black beans and extra sauce from a brisket that I had frozen.  Also using up some of the open tortillas in the fridge and an avocado half from yesterday.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3163 on: May 22, 2021, 05:02:05 PM »
Ok, my food eating up need has suddenly just escalated!  Found out I need to move in the next few weeks.  We're only going an hour away, so I can move food, but of course less will be easier.  Here we go!

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3164 on: May 25, 2021, 05:10:15 AM »
Made a casserolle from a loaf of bread, some eggs, bacon and cheese. Tasted great and I have some lunches for this week.
I was having a lot of bread from a Toogoodtogo deal (where you get the leftovers from a bakery against really low price. Price is 1/3 or less of what you would normally pay) and the kids indulged on it. Have frozen 2 loafs of bread, now I have to eat them in the near future. All other fresh items were gone in no-time (did I mention I have a pre-teen and a teen in the house???).
There is also leftover Chinese food in the fridge. Tomorrow, my teen is home from school, so I think this will be gone by then.....

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3165 on: May 25, 2021, 07:41:26 AM »
-We finished off the burgers my husband made over the weekend. Likewise for the spaghetti & meatballs
-The kids talked my husband into two baguettes, while he was shopping over the weekend. They managed to polish those off as well.
-I've finished off a few packs of tea I brought back from our vacation house
-We continue to eat things out of the garden, which is increasing our available food. Fresh stuff is good. It's the freezer/pantry/fridge items that I need to stay on top of.
-Tonight we'll be having grilled chicken salads. The kids will likely have the chicken on the buns I just discovered in our fridge. (I was gone over the weekend, and wasn't involved in the shopping.)

I did have to toss a few of those drink packets (Crystal Light & some sort of other kind.) My son bought them, & didn't like them. I'm not a fan. I offered them on my Buy Nothing, but no takers, so into the trash they went. I don't consider these "food", but I hate the waste all the same.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3166 on: May 25, 2021, 01:18:04 PM »
Luck to you with your move, @SquashingDebt!

~A bunch of asparagus was used as a side in two different meals
~Last Tuesday's leftover spicy ground meat went on top of Saturday night's nachos
~The mega pack of pepperoni slices bought for last month's volunteer picnic pasta salad was finally used up as pizza toppings and on top of salads
~I recently discovered bagged broccoli slaw, and boy it goes a long way! So far it's been riced to use in lieu of white rice, stir fried with last night's shrimp and shirataki noodles, and the remaining will go into tonight's chipotle cod soft tacos.

DH found new to us cauliflower potato "chips" at Sam's club last week. They're not too shabby and taste good as a corn tortilla chip replacement in nachos.  Last night, much to my chagrin, I found a moldy 1/3 small bag of mozzarella balls in the back of a drawer.  I need to keep an eye out on that.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3167 on: May 25, 2021, 02:52:29 PM »
^Oh no! Moldy cheese is so sad, especially when it is soft expensive cheese like that. Hard cheese I just cut it off like granny taught me and eat the rest.

Whelp, I am moving at the end of next month. It's official: eat all the food gauntlet time for me again.

I'm going to start by marinating some chicken to make fajitas. And I'm going to pester my son to make the nice steak he asked me to buy that has been sitting in the fridge all week (thankfully it still looks fresh . . . because letting a ribeye go bad would put me over the edge.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3168 on: May 25, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »
My husband will be out of town this weekend, and he eats largely Keto, so I'll use this as an opportunity to get some stuff cleaned out of the freezer. Plans include: enchilada chicken rice (will use enchilada sauce & chicken from the freezer), chicken yakisoba (chicken from the freezer, noodles I've been trying to get out of the pantry). I'll also plan to make crockpot carnitas to use up a pork butt that's been lingering in the freezer for a while. Progress!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3169 on: May 26, 2021, 11:13:46 AM »
@Zamboni, luck to you with your move as well!  Your fajitas sounds delicious.

@MaybeBabyMustache, excellent plan!

Nothing new here to report except for the fact last night's cod tacos were amazing.  I breaded the fillets along with eggplant fries with pork rinds and parmesan cheese which were crumbled in the food processor.  The remaining half of the fries will be served with tonight's meatloaf.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3170 on: May 27, 2021, 04:53:22 AM »
So far on the pre-moving eat down my food:

disassembled my power outage food kit and brought the snacks foods to work to keep in my desk
ate 2 stuffed peppers from the freezer (13 left!)
made rhubarb-almond bars to use up the rhubarb I had purchased

*didn't bring any of the free veggies at work home with me*

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3171 on: May 27, 2021, 07:35:57 AM »
I planned to defrost chicken curry from the freezer last night, but it was another dish that I need this weekend. So, defrosted a container of prepped taco meat, and we had that instead. In good news, it used up the last of the shredded cheese, 1/2 a tomato that was lingering, and we made a dent in the tortillas I bought. As recently as last year, the same size container of taco meat would easily serve us for one dinner, and at least 2 lunches, sometimes two full dinners. Last night, the container was empty at the end of dinner. I'm glad I didn't have other plans for the leftovers.

Tonight will be hot dogs (my husband grills a bunch at a time, and then freezes them). I'm unsure on sides, as we will be driving in separate directions for soccer.

And, the first zucchinis are ready to be harvested. We are going to have *SO MANY*. My husband went nuts with the planting. They've completely overtaken my raised beds.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3172 on: May 28, 2021, 03:50:13 PM »
I need to be on top of our food, as our garden is starting to produce, & I want to make sure we have freezer space & are appropriately planning menus.

-I re-organized our snack pantry, and combined all like items, so it was easier to see what was on hand. Found a couple of my favorite dried fruit bars (the kids usually beat me to them), so had that for lunch one day
-We bought bread-less egg sandwiches for my son for easy breakfasts, but he got tired of them pretty quickly. I've been having them for lunch. I'd prefer a salad, but these work fine to.
-When I organized the snack pantry, I discovered a few protein bars that were about to expire. I've been keeping them in the car, for when I need a quick meal/snack between events. We've had a lot of soccer driving lately, so these have come in handy.
-My son used up the last of our electrolyte tablets that were about to expire. I really prefer these over sports drinks, as there's so much less waste & sugar.

Up this weekend:
-Defrosting enchilada sauce & chicken, for a chicken enchilada rice recipe that's really good.
-Using the rest of the chicken in a chicken yakisoba dish that will use up noodles that have been in the pantry for too long
-Making the kids pizza tonight, and will use up more of the pepperoni that appears to multiply in my freezer
-Make muffins out of the first (of many) zucchinis

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3173 on: May 30, 2021, 11:00:33 AM »
I used most of the garden zucchini for zucchini muffins (which, are delicious), but had about 2/3 of a cup of shredded zucchini. I used about 1/2 of that this morning, sauteed it for a minute in a pan, and then added eggs, salt & pepper & feta cheese. Served on toast. It was great, and I didn't mind the zucchini at all.

I bought really fantastic nectarines at Costco, so we are crushing the fruit in the fridge: blueberries, strawberries, nectarines & watermelon. I love this time of the year.

My son made chicken yakisoba last night, which used up a lot of ingredients I wanted to get rid of. However, he did not do the conversion for dried ginger (in place of fresh) correctly, and ....omg was that ever spicy & overly ginger-y. I will attempt to salvage the remainder by washing it, and then adding additional cabbage & broccoli. Fingers crossed.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3174 on: May 31, 2021, 01:32:18 AM »
Would like your recipe for zucchini muffins @MaybeBabyMustache! Sometimes I end up with half a zucchini and cannot think of a good use.
Took the last few kiwi's to the office and some leftover salad. Should be enough for the day (I need to loose around 10 pounds, so healthy food only for me).

Last night's taco-dinner used up some tomatoes, ground beef and some other bits and pieces. I love taco-dinners!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3175 on: May 31, 2021, 08:07:14 AM »
Would like your recipe for zucchini muffins @MaybeBabyMustache! Sometimes I end up with half a zucchini and cannot think of a good use.
Took the last few kiwi's to the office and some leftover salad. Should be enough for the day (I need to loose around 10 pounds, so healthy food only for me).

Last night's taco-dinner used up some tomatoes, ground beef and some other bits and pieces. I love taco-dinners!

You can put zucchini in every wok dish, and on pizzas. Taco dinner in our home always contains zucchini.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:12:27 AM by Linea_Norway »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3176 on: May 31, 2021, 08:47:35 AM »
@Dutch Comfort - here you go! https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/zucchini_muffins/

I made a couple of changes:
-I reduced the sugar to about 3/4 of a cup (my son said it wasn't sweet enough, but the adults really liked it, so you may want to experiment.)
-I substituted one cup of almond flour for regular flour
-I used a cup of mixed nuts (recipe calls for optional 1 cup of walnuts), & gave them a rough chop in the food processor
-I did not use any dried fruit (also optional)

Enjoy!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3177 on: May 31, 2021, 06:15:57 PM »
All the kitchen wins:
-Used up enchilada sauce & two containers of grilled chicken (both from the freezer) to make chicken enchilada rice. Also, used up jalapenos (freezer) from last summer, as well as yogurt before it could go bad.
-Used up more frozen jalapenos, & a pork loin languishing in the freezer for a crockpot carnitas recipe. (Will eat later this week.)
-Made oven roasted parmesan zucchini, using up quite a few herbs & zucchini from the garden
-Husband made steak with a few random steaks we found (one from a meal kit we never made, the other from a deeply discounted grocery store offer)
-Finally, the salad tonight has so many fresh ingredients from the garden: carrots, kale, mint, basil, radishes, spinach, tomatoes, etc. It's a thing of beauty

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3178 on: June 04, 2021, 08:32:50 AM »
After prepping all of the food in the last post, we've been steadily eating it down. Unfortunately, we ran out of fresh fruit mid week (never happens, but the fruit is delicious this time of year.) I did a mini stock up last night on the way home from soccer. The store nearest to us is crazy expensive, but it will get us through until our larger grocery run.

-Continued to eat lots of yummy things out of the garden
-Salvaged most of the wildly over gingered chicken yakisoba. Rinsed it multiple times, and then added other flavors to offset the taste. Still not amazing, but passable.

Left in the fridge:
-1 serving of carnitas
-1.5 servings of chicken enchilada rice
-2-3 servings of yakisoba

I also need to make more zucchini muffins & likely sauteed zucchini again this weekend, because...all of the zucchini.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3179 on: June 07, 2021, 08:28:42 AM »
It's t-6 days until a vacation, and we need to eat a lot of food. We food prepped over the weekend, and have SO much to eat.

Things we need to eat up ahead of Sunday:
-Ribs. Eat majority, share with neighbor's dog (backup plan)
-Potato salad. Eat majority, share with neighbor
-Burgers. Eat/freeze leftovers
-Barbecued chicken. Eat/freeze leftovers
-Pizza. Serve with dinner tonight
-So.much.fruit. Make a fruit salad to go with each dinner
-Bagged salads. Use up with dinner tonight.
-Give away all of the zucchini we pick this week

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3180 on: June 07, 2021, 02:31:34 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache, have a wonderful time!

Lately, in no particular order (yesterday I organized the freezer and both pantries):

~Tossed some sugar free Jello envelopes that expired three years ago
~Started incorporating berries frozen last year into DH's overnight oatmeal
~From the freezer there is currently a ham hock and ham leftover from Easter, some leftover chicken broth, along with 2 cans each diced tomatoes and chilis in the slow cooker for tonight's supper.  I'll add the beans later.
~Brought sliced almonds to serve on top of yogurt here at the office
~Will (finally!) use up the macadamia nuts with dark melted chocolate for treat purposes
~Used up the rest of the cherry chutney by pouring it on top of cream cheese for dip purposes
~Researched recipes in order to incorporate ramen noodle packages and canned chicken
~Another bag of frozen cauliflower was seasoned and riced in the food processor for two different meals
~A can of chipotles in adobo has gone a long way in soft tacos and spaghetti squash, and the rest will go into next week's black bean and chicken chili
~The rest of a bag of flour went into last weekend's pumpkin chocolate chip cookies

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3181 on: June 07, 2021, 02:55:49 PM »
We have a bunch of fish in the freezer that needs to be eaten including frozen salmon filets, frozen cod (I think) and frozen peeled shrimp.  I might just bake the salmon and serve with potatoes and salad and same with the white fish.  But I've never cooked frozen shrimp before.  Maybe some kind of Asian noodle dish would be good?  (we also have rice noodles and udon in the cupboard) or maybe Spanish shrimp in garlic tapas?  Any other frozen shrimp suggestions?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3182 on: June 07, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »
No help with the fish recipes, but a few of our favorite noodle recipes that you might be able to sub or serve on the side:
Chicken yakisoba - https://www.budgetbytes.com/chicken-yakisoba/
Dragon noodles - https://www.budgetbytes.com/spicy-noodles/

@Hula Hoop

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3183 on: June 08, 2021, 01:09:23 AM »
We have a bunch of fish in the freezer that needs to be eaten including frozen salmon filets, frozen cod (I think) and frozen peeled shrimp.  I might just bake the salmon and serve with potatoes and salad and same with the white fish.  But I've never cooked frozen shrimp before.  Maybe some kind of Asian noodle dish would be good?  (we also have rice noodles and udon in the cupboard) or maybe Spanish shrimp in garlic tapas?  Any other frozen shrimp suggestions?

Just stir-fry the shrimps with minced garlic and some minced peppers (to taste).
Then prepare noodles, stir-fry them with bok-soy / leek / carrots / any other veggies. Add the shrimps, maybe a little soy-sauce and enjoy a nice summer meal! Easy does it.
Or just eat the stir-fried shrimps as an appetizer!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3184 on: June 08, 2021, 08:11:10 AM »
Updates:
-Gave away 8 zucchini
-Ate majority of ribs. Gave neighbor remainder. She'll either eat them or feed the overly dry portion to her dog.
-Cut, cleaned, washed a bunch of fruit for fruit salad. One giant bowl is gone, so I prepped another. Lazy teens can now easily snack on fruit vs other things.
-Finished one bagged salad, will eat the other one for lunch today.
-1/2 of the pizza is gone

Tonight for dinner, we will have fruit salad, green salad & burgers. Whatever is left of the burgers will go into the freezer

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3185 on: June 08, 2021, 04:22:19 PM »

Hi @Hula Hoop.  I try to make fish and/or shrimp for supper at least once a week.  Some of my go to's:

~Shrimp Shirataki Noodle Stir-Fry Recipe.  You can do an online search for different recipes.
~Blend a breading of pork rinds and parmesan cheese (I'm a low carber) in the food processor for cod, flounder, or catfish.
~Thaw frozen already-cooked shrimp in water, pat dry, then serve it with cocktail sauce.
~Wrap bacon around large shrimp and cook on the stove or BBQ.
~Stir fry fresh or frozen veggies, then add thawed shrimp for the last 3 minutes or until done.
~And my favorite way to cook salmon is to add a maple glaze or lemon garlic sauce.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3186 on: June 09, 2021, 05:29:38 AM »
Took 1/2 leftover zucchini, grated, added two eggs and some herbs and tomato and had a great lunch.
Now eating some carrots as a snack. The fridge is emptying well! The fridge needs a good clean, but first it needs to be (close to) empty so I can store the remaining items in the small spare fridge (that I only use for keeping beer/soda's cool) in the shed during cleaning.
Will make a small salad tonight from all leftover veggies and hope the kids will finish off the milk and other diary stuff before the weekend, so I can clean tomorrow evening or Saturday before the next grocery trip.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3187 on: June 09, 2021, 07:05:56 AM »
T-4 days until vacation. We've continued to make good progress:
-A tiny amount of potato salad remains. Confident 15 y.o. can finish off in one sitting
-Burgers were eaten last night, remainder frozen
-Fruit salad x2, all gone. We still have most of a 2 lb container of blueberries, that the kids will eat for the next few days. We also have a bunch of bananas (use of freeze between now & Saturday) & apples, nectarines & peaches. The apples will be fine in the fridge. I think the peaches will need to be eaten, so I'll probably make another fruit salad for the kids to eat.
-Somehow, there are two slices of pizza still left. Use or toss tonight.
-We have a work dinner for my husband tonight, and the kids are planning to make themselves chicken nuggets. (Ah, the beauty of being a teen). Tomorrow will be the rest of the barbecued chicken & salad

I haven't figured out what we're having for dinner on Friday/Saturday, but I'm thinking tacos (meat from freezer) & an easy pasta dish. No leftovers, no waste.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3188 on: June 10, 2021, 01:34:34 PM »
Our locally raised beef has arrived!  So glad we cleared out the garage freezer to make room for the quarter we ordered.  We are now waiting for pork.  Speaking of clearing out, I've been going "hard core" in the kitchen freezer.  I can actually see the bottom of each basket.

From the freezer:
~A baggie of homemade pumpkin cookies was sent with DH in his lunch bucket
~A baggie of raspberries will go into overnight oats
~Another bag of frozen cauliflower was cooked, then seasoned and riced in the food processor, and eaten with Tuesday and last night's suppers

From the fridge:
~The rest of the asparagus and half bag of baby spinach was sautéed and eaten with last night's cod and shrimp
~Cubed and divided up mozzarella for office snacks

Misc:
~I am pleased that I found a recipe online for making cold brew coffee at home.  It is much cheaper than take out or buying it retail, plus it will help use up the Folgers I have on hand.
~Been munching on a bag of low carb cheddar crisps in the evening, and finished it last night
~I've added the remaining cherry tomatoes on top of lunches

And, referencing Monday's post, I am loving the sliced almonds on top of my yogurt and berries.  It's a nice texture combo.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3189 on: June 10, 2021, 03:18:50 PM »
Nice freezer progress, @MountainGal

Here's where we are, as our pre-vacation fridge clean out begins:
-We have a few nectarines left, as well as 1/2 a container of blueberries. I'll get the kids to eat fruit tonight
-The pizza is gone. Sent in the 15 y.o's lunch at soccer camp
-We will have the last of the barbecued chicken tonight, and I'll have mine over the last of the bagged salad
-Continued to use up lots of garden produce

Remaining:
-Shred & freeze all remaining zucchini that I can't give away
-Give any remaining milk to neighbors (she makes her own yogurt)
-Use up additional salad ingredients (tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce), as they will go bad before we get back

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3190 on: June 11, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »
Thanks, @MaybeBabyMustache.  Have a fabulous trip!

~Tonight I'll sauté the yellow squash and serve half of it on the side of a doctored up frozen pizza cooked on the grill.  The other half will go with Sunday's supper.  Because we're out of pepperoni, I decided to top the pizza with sliced Vienna sausages.  I looked it up, it's a thing, LOL.
~The remaining baby spinach will go into smoothies on Sunday, along with strawberries and blueberries from the freezer, and a can of coconut milk.  This will leave just two avocados in the produce drawer, a few oranges on the counter, and whatever DH has in his drawer.  Here's to grocery shopping next week!
~We are down to 4 bags of frozen veggies.  I'll steam up a bag for Sunday supper.
~And, oh, yes, I must tend to the remaining pint of low carb ice cream sometime this weekend.  It's supposed to be in the upper 90's (Fahrenheit).  :S

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3191 on: June 11, 2021, 03:05:10 PM »
@MountainGal - at that weather, there's no choice but to eat the ice cream ;-)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3192 on: June 14, 2021, 01:55:25 PM »
LOL!  'Tis true, @MaybeBabyMustache!  Though I forgot about it.  Oh, well.  it's only getting hotter this week.  :)  I did remember to tend to the other things I posted about Friday, and in addition:

~We ate tuna salad kits while on the trail Saturday.  They were okay and served their purpose.
~Ate the rest of the potato cauliflower "chips" Saturday night with leftover avocado crema.
~Emptied and washed a Mason jar for DH to bring back to his coworker.
~Because we didn't use it all in our smoothies yesterday, the rest of the baby spinach was made into a salad for my lunch today.
~Another small bag of raspberries frozen last season went into two jars of overnight oats for DH.  This used the rest of the vanilla extract, which is now on the grocery list.
~Into a slow cooker banana bread recipe went 3 overripe bananas and the rest of the sweet bread flour I've had for ages.  I am amazed it baked up as much as it did.
~Brought the remaining frozen blueberries to the office to use on top of my yogurt.
~The remaining can of black beans and a can of chicken will go into tonight's soft tacos.  I'll serve them with one of two remaining bags of frozen cauliflower.
~Still have some chili in adobo to use.  Hmmmm.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3193 on: June 20, 2021, 04:48:56 AM »
I am back to this thread with the intention of eating at least one item from the fridge, freezer or cupboards every day. New ingredients may be purchased if necessary to make a dish with some existing ingredient.

On Friday I served Turkish meze (lots of separate dishes) to friends, from freshly bought and picked ingredients. It turned out I made about twice as much as we needed, plus many extra pita bread for the freezer. We ate leftovers twice already and still have a little left that will be eaten tonight. I also have lots and lots of plants left that I picked to make salad of. Not everything is used, so I still have many 8-10? yoghurt cans half full with fresh weeds.

Tonight we will eat leftover ground meat on yoghurt with pita bread, leftover storebought potato salad, chicken breast from the freezer and baked fresh tomatoes with hazelnuts. The tomatoes were bought to use in the Turkish dishes, but I didn't need them anyway. Therefore a lot left over.

Yesterday I also made green pine cones cooked in sugar sirup. Another jar to use up some time. Not sure how to use that yet. My books about edible plants don't mention them, altough I know they are eaten in Poland.

Earlier in this thread I made a very long list of contents of fridges, freezers and cupboards. It was in no way complete and I got distracted on the way and started buying fresh food again. From now I only intend to write what we used up and not what it left. Although I intend to make a new overview at home of what we have in the freezer drawers, to put om the fridge door. The current list has a lot of strike throughs and is outdated.

We are looking for another house to live in, but have many requirements that aren't eay to fulfill. If we would move soon, we would have to reduce from 3! fridges to 2. Even that would be a challenge. So lets just eat of lot of what is into them.

Edit: DH used some of my honey fermented garlic for the first time. That garlic and honey was made some months ago and recently moved into one of the 3 fridges.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:54:01 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3194 on: June 21, 2021, 10:50:55 AM »
Today we used up 1,5 jar of fermented carrots (self fermented). Nice to have those 2 large jars gone from one of the fridges. I added some self picked pine flower seeds. Still one portion of those left in the fridge. They can be used in salad or in stir fry.
DH made a fish sauce with fresh sorrel, of which I had 1,5 jar left in another fridge.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3195 on: June 21, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »
We are back from vacation, although only home for about ten days before we head to our vacation house to get it packed & ready for sale. We need to be on top of eating everything here, and I need to create a menu/plan for the food we have at our vacation house. That's also on the agenda

As for the next few days:
-Pick/eat all of the spinach
-Pickle the jalapenos
-Use or freeze bags upon bags of shredded zucchini
-Sautee other zucchini (potentially for dinner tonight)
-Have the teens work through the large bowl of cut fruit

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3196 on: June 22, 2021, 03:18:11 AM »
Finished leftover salad from our friends dinner last weekend with my dinner yesterday.
We picked a lot of fresh strawberries, so I'm indulging on a homemade strawberry-yoghurt smoothy right now! Kids probably want milkshakes out of the strawberries when they come home from school, so the strawberries will be gone soon.
Tonight I will prepare a tray-bake of zucchini, sweet potatoe, bell pepers, red unions and mushrooms with a few chipolata sausages. Will put some additional baked potatoes on the side.
Tomorrow, we need to finish the last burgers and some leftover burritos.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3197 on: June 22, 2021, 08:19:38 AM »
We're making progress:

-Used a bag of chicken (barbecued, in the freezer) for dinner, and ate some of the homemade buns my teen made for Father's Day dinner.
-Sauteed 1/2 a zucchini for my husband to eat with the chicken (he avoids carbs)
-Froze all of the shredded zucchini, for use in future muffins or bread
-Teens ate the rest of the giant bowl of fruit. I need to cut more for the rest of the week

Today:
-We will eat the rest of the grilled sausages, and freeze what's leftover. Most diners will have the sausages on the rest of the leftover buns, but I will probably sautee zucchini for my husband again
-I still need to pick the rest of the out of control spinach in the garden
-And, pickle the jalapenos
-We've used most of the tomatoes that ripened while we were gone
-Also need to defrost something for tomorrow's dinner

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3198 on: June 22, 2021, 12:23:52 PM »
Welcome back, @Linea_Norway!  I love reading your edible plant posts.

Good luck with the sale, @MaybeBabyMustache!

That tray-bake sounds delicious, @Dutch Comfort!

Our annual Solstice party went very well!  The remaining 6 cupcakes were sent home with guests with a sweet tooth.  Yesterday, I sent the leftover meat and most of the bag of chips with DH to share with his coworkers.  And last night I used some of the leftover cheese and vegetables in salads and topped them with smoked salmon and homemade balsamic dressing.  Leftover cheese and berries came to work with me today.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3199 on: June 23, 2021, 02:43:55 AM »
@MountainGal thank you.

Yesterday we ate chicken thighs from the freezer, which had already been cooked. I browned and warmed them and added homemade rose harissa. That jar of harissa is almost empty now. I picked new rose leaves to make new ones. My two chili peppers are carrying quite a few chilis, so I hope I can use those for the harissa.
I also made a salad from leftover fresh spinach, radishes and some more sorrel and pine flower buds. I froze the rest of the sorell and some other plants. Some others, plus leftover spring union are now cut and in the food dryer.

Now we are going to our cabin for 5-6 days. I will bring the zuccini along to eat there. Maybe with some frozen meat to keep it cool in the car.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!