Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1200757 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #3000 on: January 09, 2021, 07:40:37 PM »
Thanks for the fat head dough details, @horsepoor ! I'll have to try that out.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3001 on: January 10, 2021, 01:54:29 AM »
Because of a wrong interpretation of a pasta making recipee I made way too much pasta dough yesterday, as I had to add more flower to compensate for too much liquid. My new pasta drying rack is a bit small, so I only turned half into pasta. The rest in a ball in the fridge. I frooze it today and need to remember to use it.

The cooked pasta (without sauce) was also too much. I had planned to have it for breakfast, but it wasn't tempting. Instead I ate some slices of my now defrosted squash/mushroom cake. It tasted okey, apart from that the underside was soggy. DH does not seem to want to eat leftover pasta or cake for breakfast. So I might need to ditch the rest of the half cake later today.

I have tried to find out how long you can refridgerate a defrosted cake and still eat it safely. Internet did not give a specific answer, but a general that defrosted food needs to be eaten within 24 hours. Cooked rice and pasta can definitely not be stored long in the fridge. So I or we need to eat the leftover cooked pasta and cake for lunch, or otherwise throw it away.

Next time I make pasta, I should use up the leftover dried (commercial) pasta from the drawer. Or use the ball of dough from the freezer.

For tonight I defrosted a trout fillet. I will eat it with a (fresh) tomato and pomegranate salad. Maybe accompanied by a naan bread from the freezer, as I think just a bit of leftover pasta with it is a bit weird. Edit: I ate the leftover pasta cold for lunch, with leftover grated cheese and zuchini puree from a pot in the fridge. I was quite hungry after a CC skiing trip and it tasted good, a bit like bread.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:20:15 AM by Linea_Norway »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3002 on: January 10, 2021, 07:49:47 PM »
A tiny victory, but we used all of the green olives from a Christmas appetizer spread. I had no idea they even came home with us, but ...they are gone! Finished them off tonight.

My 13 year old is really into making homemade French bread (two loaves in two days), but they teens are doing a remarkable job of polishing it off without much effort. I don't think i'll need to worry about it.

I made a baked oatmeal dish for breakfast this week, so I'll be having that. I also have granola (a gift from a coworker) that I need to eat in the next week or so, with almond milk or yogurt.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3003 on: January 11, 2021, 03:15:37 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache, yes, in the past I have made cauliflower crust pizza.  As @horsepoor, says, it is quite involved.  I've since discovered the Fathead pizza dough recipe, as well as Caulipower brand pizza at the store.  Way back when I first started low carb, I even made a pizza crust out of chicken (there are recipes out there).  It is my least favorite of all options.  Side note:  Because Fathead dough contains so much cheese, I tend to top it with very little extra grated cheese.  Added:  Has your son tried making bread in the slow cooker?  DH and I have done that in the past when we didn't want to heat up the house with the oven.  It works well.  :)

~I'm currently eating the remaining portion of last week's meatloaf.

~Last Friday I used the last of the zucchini, and the 2 yellow squash in a chicken stir fry.  I'll eat those leftovers tomorrow for lunch.

~Last week's uneaten boiled eggs went into deviled eggs.  This used up the rest of the yellow mustard in order to start a new one purchased last month.

~I ate peeled and sliced cucumber with a bit of sliced cheese and almonds for Saturday and Sunday evening snacks.

~The popcorn kernels I purchased for the Halloween party snack purposes are almost gone.  Not low carb, I know, but I have a bowl every other weekend or so.  This used up the remaining bit of olive oil from the previous bottle.

~Tomorrow I'll make https://www.wholesomeyum.com/portobello-pizza-keto-stuffed-mushrooms-recipe/ in order to use the portobello mushrooms.

~Wednesday's supper will be https://www.thechunkychef.com/slow-cooker-creamy-white-chicken-chili/

~I didn't get to the Fathead pizza yesterday, so it's on this Sunday's menu.

~I will pick up our monthly grocery order this evening, to start the process all over again.  :)  Because I see the total as I shop, ordering online keeps me within the $300 budget I set for myself last month.  This includes paper products and HBAs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:17:33 PM by MountainGal »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3004 on: January 12, 2021, 06:08:17 AM »
For tonight I plan to make a oven baked "cake" of ground beef and bacon, with a sauce of roasted pepper from a glass jar and some zucchini puree from a jar. I have a recipee and don't remember exactly how it went, but will look it up. As a side dish I want to make red bulgur, which is bulgur with red pepper and tomato. DH suggested to make tsaziki to go with it. I purchased yoghurt and fresh cucumber, but am glad to make a dent in the 2 packs of bulgur, in the jar of zucchini puree and in the jar of roasted red pepper.

Tomorrow I would like to make a pasta (from the frozen ball of pasta dough in the freezer) with fresh basil, pistache nuts and parmezan cheese.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3005 on: January 12, 2021, 07:40:11 AM »
I have loads of cans of sardines and I want to include them in my diet because they are good for you in so many ways. I have been eating them on salad, tortilla's with lettuce, onions. Been using balsamic vinegar. I have been enjoying it but like anything, I am getting a little tired of it in just a short time. I wonder if any of you eat sardines and how do you prepare them to eat. I have noticed when I eat them, I stay full for hours and hours which is a good thing! So, I would like to keep eating them but...need some ideas!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3006 on: January 12, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »
I opened a jar of limoncello marmalade that has been in the fridge forever, and will have it on toast or crackers until it is gone. It had an intact vacuum seal that popped loudly as I opened it. 

Also am having tea instead of coffee lately, in order to use up some old jars of loose leaf tea that are on the kitchen counter.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3008 on: January 12, 2021, 02:12:52 PM »
@MountainGal  - thanks for the input on the pizza. So far, I've been buying the cauliflower crust pizza from Costco, and doctoring it with protein (it's a veggie pizza). My son has stuck to one recipe, but we've had three successful loaves this week. He made a loaf this morning before school, & the kids happily had grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. Win!

I used the rest of the baked chicken in my lunch salad. We're having leftover ham soup (and bread) for dinner. I'm also making coleslaw to go with my husband's salmon. I use the food processor to batch shred purple/green cabbage & carrots. I then use it for: egg roll in a bowl (Sunday's dinner), coleslaw (will last a few days) & taco slaw (super similar to egg roll in a bowl, but with taco meat). The cabbage is really cheap & helps reduce the cost. I like to just fuss with the food processor once, so plan these meals together.

Last night I made a bacon wrapped chicken that was stuffed with broccoli (Costco frozen food section, Keto friendly, so "made" means I heated it in the oven). It was a nice "in a pinch" meal. We ate 3 of the four, and my husband at the fourth today. No waste.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3009 on: January 12, 2021, 02:19:26 PM »

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3012 on: January 14, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »
Welp.  DH acquired a 33 pound, locally raised turkey last weekend.  He plans on vacuum-sealing and freezing a bunch of it, and I found a few recipes for tonight and tomorrow night.  We'll freeze the leftovers we aren't able to get to.

Tonight:  Turkey breast with spaghetti squash, mug muffins (corn bread for him, flax seed for me) for the side
Friday:  Turkey tortilla bake

In the evenings, I've been nibbling on chili flavored pistachios from my stocking last month.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3013 on: January 14, 2021, 12:41:48 PM »
@MountainGal - that's a seriously sized turkey! Good luck with that.

-Eating a leftover chicken patty in my salad today for lunch
-Divided a baked oatmeal dish (made this weekend) into lunches for all week, and have been eating that. Way cheaper than eggs, although I'd prefer more of a mix of breakfasts. I'll survive fine.
-We've eaten almost all of the ham & bean soup & bread (3rd loaf this week, hungry teens). I'll freeze what's left today.

Yesterday I bought 15 lbs of ground beef for $1.50/lb. I need to get that into the freezer today.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3014 on: January 15, 2021, 01:47:27 AM »
DH cooked the day before yesterday, using up the leftover meat cake, and used the bag of frozen brussle sprouts.
Last night I made pasta from the leftover ball of pasta dough that I had frozen. Used some anchovies from the fridge. There is one portion of pasta left that I will have for lunch.
Tonight, I intend to make fish with nice nudels with an asian style salad (from a cookbook, need to find out if it works).

Today I am also baking bread again, which I do frequently. This time I put in linseeds, as I also have 2 packs of those, which is at least one too many for a product I seldom use.

Updated the list at the top of the page.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3015 on: January 15, 2021, 11:59:58 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache, that's a great price on ground beef!

@Linea_Norway, there's nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread.

Monday's grocery order included canned asparagus.  I had ordered fresh asparagus as well, but it was out of stock apparently.  Let's just say I discovered I don't care for the texture of the canned version.  I've been eating it in roll-ups with salmon cream cheese and deli turkey slices for lunches.  The remaining portion is today-yay!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3016 on: January 15, 2021, 01:10:06 PM »
I can definitely say I wouldn't like canned asparagus. I"m a moderate "liker" of it, even with the best preparation, so the texture of canned would be a for sure turn off!

-Kids wrapped up the last of the taco meat last night
-I finished off the bean soup & bread (one serving of soup to the freezer)
-For lunch today, having an Italian chicken sausage (freezer) on a salad
-Kids each had a pear & apple as "dessert" last night

For dinner tonight, I'm really undecided. We have 2 servings left of egg roll in a bowl, 2 servings of enchilada rice, and one piece of salmon. Plenty for everyone to eat, but quite an assortment.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3017 on: January 15, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
Have to agree, asparagus in a can...gross! Kudos on finding ways to eat it up though! You came up with creative ways to use it up. I would have either donated it or thrown it away!

I had a sick dog and was trying everything on earth to hide his pills in things. I even bought cans of spam of which worked a few times and then he wouldn't eat it either. So now I have many cans of spam that I will never eat unless I completely run out of food. I am sure if it is fried a bit crispy it is edible but not really my thing!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3018 on: January 16, 2021, 12:25:52 PM »
I just put together a meal plan for the next week, which should put a nice dent in the freezer so there will be plenty of space for the lamb we should be getting in a couple weeks. I was able to get dinners figured out with all the veg we have on hand, and will only need to buy one bunch of greens for Thursday night:

Tonight: Broccoli beef (needing to be used broccoli and beef from the freezer) spaghetti squash (garden produce) with Garlic (garden produce) cashew-sauce (NYT Cooking recipe will be a new one for me).
Sunday: Stuffed bell peppers with ground lamb from the freezer, side of squash.
Monday: Roast chicken, potatoes that have been in the fridge for a while, tomato soup canned last fall.
Tuesday: Brats with carrots and cabbage that have both been in the fridge for a while.
Wednesday: Creamy chicken-leek soup to use Monday's leftover chicken
Thursday: Salmon caught by my brother this summer, beets that have been in the fridge for a while. This is where the greens come in too.
Friday: Pork shanks to be turned into carnitas - last of pork raised by a friend, to be accompanied by cauliflower rice (garden produce)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3019 on: January 16, 2021, 01:09:25 PM »
horsepoor, how organized you are on your dinners for the week!

I have tons of food and every day my Hub says 'what's for dinner?' and I am like I don't know!

However, tonight we are having a recipe I found with ground meat. It is called Korean Beef and Rice with a vegetable. I will use white rice.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/korean-beef-and-rice/

Tomorrow is Cumin and Orange Pork Butt, sweet potatoes and a vegetable.
https://justcook.butcherbox.com/cumin-crusted-pork-butt/

I also have an eggplant that needs cooking and saw a recipe on The Kitchen Eggplant Parmesean Boats: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/eggplant-parmesan-boats-9608094

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3020 on: January 16, 2021, 02:29:41 PM »
-I continued to use some sort of Keto friendly sausage (found in the freezer from a grilling session this summer) on top of my salads for lunch.
-Finished off the last of the baked oatmeal for breakfast this morning. I made a big pan last weekend, and it was my breakfast all week (plus a couple of servings for my son)
-Last night we did an admirable job clearing the fridge of leftovers, and only had a tiny bit of food waste. Always a win at the end of the week.

My husband is making grilled chicken, that he marinates all day. It's delicious. We'll have that with rice & salad. Tomorrow my 13 y.o. is making warm taco slaw (I need to shred the last of the cabbage). I think we're having sesame chicken with leftover rice on Monday. I'll cook, as I have the day off.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3021 on: January 16, 2021, 03:08:58 PM »
horsepoor, how organized you are on your dinners for the week!

I have tons of food and every day my Hub says 'what's for dinner?' and I am like I don't know!

I've been in the habit of meal planning for a couple years now. I don't always stick to the plan for the week, but it frees up a surprising amount of mental space where I don't have to figure it out at the end of the work day. I try to put 1-2 meals based on less perishable stuff so that if we have leftovers or I don't have time to cook, there isn't food waste from missing a planned meal.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3022 on: January 17, 2021, 02:04:18 AM »
I am now making my next 2 breads with linseeds. Still a lot of that left, but one more batch and I have finished the opened box. After that only one closed bag of linseeds left.

Yesterday I made raspberrie muffins and used frozen selfpicked raspberries. Tip for next time: freeze raspberries individually, laying flat on a tray. Not in a icecream box in one block.

I also made a soup from frozen carrots, broccoli stilks and cauliflower stilks. Tip for next tip: peel the broccoli stilks before freezing them. We ate it with leftover stumps of bread.

Tonight we will have fresh meat, fresh sweet potato and frozen brussle sprouts.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:18:03 AM by Linea_Norway »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3023 on: January 18, 2021, 01:25:27 PM »
I picked jalapenos (the sunny weather has confused the plants) & turned them into two jars of pickled jalapeno. I am very happy with the flavor & crispness this time around. End of season jalapenos are much spicier than in season, so I soaked them for an hour in cold water ahead of the pickling, & it made a huge difference.

A neighbor gave us 40+ lemons. I've made 5 jars of lemon curd (1 for the fridge, 2 for the freezer). I also gave away two jars to neighbors

I made more protein balls for the hungry teen

My husband bought two industrial sized vinegar jugs a while back. (We use it for cleaning as well) & I was thrilled to have one jug to put into the recycling today. One down, one to go.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3024 on: January 18, 2021, 01:55:17 PM »
I just made the budget bytes carrot cake oatmeal and used the frozen bag of carrots from the freezer. I hope the result will still taste fine. I had to buy cream cheese for the recipe.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3025 on: January 18, 2021, 02:06:19 PM »
I just made the budget bytes carrot cake oatmeal and used the frozen bag of carrots from the freezer. I hope the result will still taste fine. I had to buy cream cheese for the recipe.
I love budget bytes! Let me know how it goes.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3026 on: January 18, 2021, 02:48:41 PM »
So many lemons. I've now started a batch of limoncello. (lemon peels soaking in vodka for four days). I'll check in on them on Friday, and add the simple syrup

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3027 on: January 18, 2021, 08:24:51 PM »
So many lemons. I've now started a batch of limoncello. (lemon peels soaking in vodka for four days). I'll check in on them on Friday, and add the simple syrup
my mom loves to make her own limoncello, but if yours is anything like hers, it won't last long!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3028 on: January 18, 2021, 09:34:30 PM »
my mom loves to make her own limoncello, but if yours is anything like hers, it won't last long!

I still have a giant bowl of lemons, and a friend sent me a different recipe to try, with a very different technique. It looks like we will be trying both & comparing. What a hardship ;-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3029 on: January 19, 2021, 06:03:19 AM »
I love budget bytes! Let me know how it goes.

@Weisass I tastes good. I had to take it a bit earlier out of the oven, as the top cream layer became brown.
I used frozen carrots and cooked them in the microwave. I could however not mash them with a potato masher, even though they felt cooked enough. So I just chopped the slices smaller with a knife.
Immediately after baking, it tasted a bit loose. But the next day, it was more solid and tasted good. DH commented that it tasted better than it looked, but that the cream cheese layer on top tastes a bit strange on it. I didn't think the cream cheese tasted strange. But he is generally sceptic to budgetbytes.
It reminded him of carrot cake. I explaned that the idea of oatmeal is to have an alternative way of eating oats.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3030 on: January 20, 2021, 01:41:18 PM »
@horsepoor, that's a nice looking list!

@Roadrunner53, I'll have to check out that eggplant recipe.

@MaybeBabyMustache, tell us more about baked oatmeal.  I know I could look it up, but I'd love a personal perspective.  I like to make DH overnight oatmeal, but would love a more batch-type recipe.  And, yes, that IS a lot of lemons, LOL.

I am also a Budget Bytes fan!

Lately:
~We ate an array of leftovers for Monday night supper, including last week's turkey tomato spaghetti squash thing, and steak leftover from my Sunday restaurant meal.
~Tossed stale rolls and crackers out to the birds
~Organized and conducted a canned food inventory, and placed a few items on next month's grocery list
~Prepped a ton of produce for lunches
~Served an avocado with last night's soft tacos, and will use the other one with Friday's enchiladas
~Last night I made shrimp scampi using zucchini "zoodles".  Yum!
~Tonight I'll make a stir fry using yellow squash and beef sausage
~From Christmas baking and other holidays, I have half a leftover cake mix, along with 3 tubs of frosting.  If I have time this weekend, I'll make a "ding dong" cake out of the mix and one of the tubs.
~Researched recipes in order to use up the cherry chipotle chutney received in a gift basket last month
~For Meatless Monday next week, I'm going to make grilled cauliflower steaks for the first time.  We'll see.  :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3031 on: January 20, 2021, 02:30:27 PM »
I love baked oatmeal for busy weeks. I make it in a pyrex dish, and then divide into individual servings after baking. In the morning, grab an individual serving, heat & go.

This was the recipe I tried for last week's breakfasts - https://www.budgetbytes.com/peanut-butter-brownie-baked-oatmeal/

I've made another kind before as well (I think it was this one - https://www.budgetbytes.com/funky-monkey-baked-oatmeal/) & didn't add the coconut, as I didn't have it on hand.

I don't have time/energy to make oatmeal in the mornings, so quick & easy always wins! It's also a good way to use overly ripe bananas

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3032 on: January 20, 2021, 10:21:38 PM »
I went into the office today for the first time since May, and picked up my little CrockPot soup warmer while I was there. I'm going to experiment with some various no-oatmeal breakfast porridge type things to use up shredded coconut, protein powder and some non-dairy milks and other random ingredients. If there are any epic fails I suppose they can always go to the chickens.

This week, used DH's overripe bananas and the last of some pecans for banana bread muffins for breakfasts this week.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3033 on: January 21, 2021, 06:24:57 AM »
I love baked oatmeal for busy weeks. I make it in a pyrex dish, and then divide into individual servings after baking. In the morning, grab an individual serving, heat & go.

This was the recipe I tried for last week's breakfasts - https://www.budgetbytes.com/peanut-butter-brownie-baked-oatmeal/

I've made another kind before as well (I think it was this one - https://www.budgetbytes.com/funky-monkey-baked-oatmeal/) & didn't add the coconut, as I didn't have it on hand.

I don't have time/energy to make oatmeal in the mornings, so quick & easy always wins! It's also a good way to use overly ripe bananas

Thanks so much for posting these baked oatmeal suggestions!  Steel-cut oats done in the Instant Pot have been a breakfast staple for a long time in our household, but I've been looking for a way to mix that up a bit.  This type of recipe will be just the thing--and a great way to use up bits and bobs of use-or-lose fruit!

Have I mentioned how much I love this thread? :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3034 on: January 22, 2021, 01:30:55 PM »
I went through & organized my two freezers today, and made an inventory of what we have on hand. Our frozen dinners (leftovers I freeze for another night) are getting out of hand, so having the list will help me make our monthly menu.

Other things:
-Used the last two sausages in my salad for lunch
-Done with the bagged salad (a habit I'm trying to quit)
-Ate taco slaw for dinner last night, and then froze the rest for a future meal

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3035 on: January 22, 2021, 02:14:32 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache, thank you very much for the recipes!  I'm going to make it tomorrow and will report back.

~I've been focusing on eating the bag of BBQ pork rinds as an evening snack.  With sour cream, of course.  :)
~I organized the kitchen pantry, fridge, freezer, and the overstock shelves in the back pantry
~Added a few canned items to next month's grocery list
~Currently eating cucumber slices and ranch for lunch
~Last night's fathead pizza used up the rest of the mozzarella
~I'll make ground beef and pork enchiladas tonight, and save half the meat for Taco Tuesday next week
~Same with riced cauliflower:  We'll eat half tonight, and the rest next Tuesday

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3036 on: January 23, 2021, 02:07:56 AM »
Yesterday I made Turkish Meze, which exists of several small dishes, served with bread. I made 6 dishes and baked a sourdough bread with lots of white flour (normally I use 50% wholegrain flour).

- feta cheese/yoghurt dip
- run-off yoghurt with fresh herbs
- red pepper salad. I used roasted red peppers from a jar. This became DH's favorite dish.
- bulgur salad, making another dent in one of the two packs of bulgur.
- eggplant salad
- humus with tomato topping.

Humus from scratch from dried chickpeas. Unfortunately DH got pain in his stomach. He might have had a fodmap reaction to the humus, as this has happened before after other humus meals. I have googling a bit today and it seems to kick in over a certain small tresholt. I still have a small pack of hermitized chickpeas and a 400 gram sack of dried ckickpeas left.

The other day I made chicked massala and added the contents of the opened jar of zucchini puree. I also finished one large pack of rice. Now we can start with the pack laying underneath.

We still have a lot of meze dishes left, so we'll be having it for lunch.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3037 on: January 23, 2021, 09:11:26 AM »
I have decided that for the month of Feb I am going to do a pantry clean out. And I am starting to prep now. I am not going to be able to do a no buy as I am out of things like flour, onions, and most other veggies. But I need to use up the things that have been sitting in there for a long time. I have a ton of dry beans, and things like wild rice, barley and I am sure other things that will make great meals. I am starting on my fridge first. Just opening it I have the things to make some black bean and chicken chili and some potato soup. I started a batch of chicken stock in my crockpot using some freezer burnt chicken quarters. Those two pots of soup should feed us for most of this next week. I will still have to go to the store because my 10 year old will want milk.

But here is the start of trying to use what I have.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3038 on: January 23, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »
@seemsright - I try to have a short list of food I'd like to use up (from the freezer or pantry) each week. Even if I have to buy things to supplement our menu, the goal of using up things that otherwise wouldn't be, allows me to check that off.

-Used leftover roasted potatoes to make breakfast for a hungry teen. I also topped the eggs with avocado & cheese leftover from last night's dinner.
-Three diners ate chicken burrito bowls last night, and I froze the rest. Half of our freezer is filled with leftovers, so I need to be better about incorporating those into the menu

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3039 on: January 23, 2021, 10:19:06 AM »
We have two kitchens consolidating into one in 7 months, and so we are starting the pantry and freezer/fridge clean outs now.

Just took out two Cornish game hens to make on Monday or Tuesday, depending upon when they are thawed. Yum!

After that I've got to figure out how to cook the Swai fish. Fun times!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3040 on: January 23, 2021, 03:01:03 PM »
Reorganizing my freezer has already paid off! (I moved all of the prepped meals into one side, & stacked/labeled them all for easy retrieval). I knew I wanted soup for lunch, and didn't have to dig through all of our freezer items, and give up (as I might have in the past). Instead, I grabbed a container of chicken & dumplings, & had lunch ready in a jiffy. (Two servings are gone - one for me, one for the teen - & one is in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch.) I'm also hoping this will help me cut down on bagged salads for lunch. It's laziness that gets me there, so being able to easily defrost a lunch option should really help.

I also bottled up the homemade limoncello I made last weekend. Still haven't figured out what I'm doing with all of the rest of the lemons. So. Many.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3041 on: January 24, 2021, 02:18:07 AM »
Reorganizing my freezer has already paid off! (I moved all of the prepped meals into one side, & stacked/labeled them all for easy retrieval). I knew I wanted soup for lunch, and didn't have to dig through all of our freezer items, and give up (as I might have in the past). Instead, I grabbed a container of chicken & dumplings, & had lunch ready in a jiffy. (Two servings are gone - one for me, one for the teen - & one is in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch.) I'm also hoping this will help me cut down on bagged salads for lunch. It's laziness that gets me there, so being able to easily defrost a lunch option should really help.

I also bottled up the homemade limoncello I made last weekend. Still haven't figured out what I'm doing with all of the rest of the lemons. So. Many.

You can make lemoncurd. I used a recipee from budgetbytes, which was very good.
Lemon cakes can be delicious.
Or preserve them by putting them in a glass jar with lots of salt rubbed in. Add some herbs as well. Those can be used in dishes.
You know that you can just freeze lemons as they are? I recently used a frozen one for taking off zest and using the juice. That went very well.

By the way, I have such a jar of salted lemons in one of the fridges. I started with two big jars and used up one and a half. The remainder has turned darkish now after several years. The jar I kept it in is not entirely airtight. I have been keeping it in the fridge, but it was now looking so unattractive that I wouldn't use it anymore anyway.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:28:18 AM by Linea_Norway »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3042 on: January 24, 2021, 10:38:52 AM »
Thanks, @Linea_Norway . I made lemon curd last weekend, so am good there. I will probably juice some, and then freeze the rest.

In other "eat all the food" news, I made a double batch of pumpkin granola today, using up pureed pumpkin (freezer, from Halloween), the last of a bag of slivered almonds (Thanksgiving), & dried mango that no one will eat. I'm using the lemon curd to flavor plain yogurt (not my favorite), with the granola. The lemon curd was actually the inspiration for the granola. :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3043 on: January 25, 2021, 09:01:54 AM »
Today I made Borek with frozen spinach and feta cheese. I used up the remaining half pack of filodough.
I got half the filling left, so tomorrow I need to make a new one of figure out something else with spinach, feta and egg. Maybe just an omelet for lunch?

Tonight I will make a soup with lentils, some rice and some bulgur. To be eaten with the too hard baked foccacia, which I think needs soup to be soaked in.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3044 on: January 25, 2021, 09:39:13 AM »
Last week I made a cashew sauce meant to be served with noodles. We used part of it, and didn't love it with spaghetti squash. I cut up raw vegetables to eat with the rest of it as a dip for lunches this week.

Last night I finally made chile verde with the last of the pork from the freezer, green chile and sauce from the freezer and the canned food stash. It feels good to have the pork all cleared out. Next week we are getting the lamb which sounds like it's going to be a big one.

Also made flourless avocado brownies with avocados that were getting soft; this also used a bit of the tahini that has been sitting in the back of the fridge and some cacao nibs from a never-ending CostCo sized bag.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3045 on: January 25, 2021, 01:29:59 PM »
-Juiced remaining lemons (gave away 8 when people were picking up other Buy Nothing items)
-Ate ham & bean soup for lunch (from the freezer)
-Re-organized our garage shelving, where we keep extraneous supplies. It's much easier to see what we have now!
-Made one bowl banana bread out of 3 overly ripened bananas. Kept 2/3 for the kids, gave away 1/3 to the neighbor, so I won't eat it
-Used more roasted potatoes in my breakfast

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3046 on: January 25, 2021, 02:52:43 PM »
We gave up coffee around 2 months ago and it is making a huge difference in drinking down other beverages that we've had around for too long..

almost all of our black tea has been consumed, so now I'm onto the barley drinks, mushroom drinks and other herbal blends :)

*plus I'm inspired by this thread and will go make a roasted red pepper dip with a jar that needs using up (alongside the breadcrumbs,  parsley and almonds that will go in it) :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:56:55 PM by Serendip »

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3047 on: January 25, 2021, 03:52:32 PM »
~Made baked granola for the first time!  Because we didn't have any bananas on hand, instead of using one of the recipes @MaybeBabyMustache recommended, I made a blueberry version.  I'll make some with banana after we do a produce stock up.

~Made the ding dong cake from the leftover cake mix and frosting.  Yum!
~Finally tried some of the "hot fudge" from my failed Christmas fudge.  Not too bad.
~I made eggplant fries using almond flour, pork rinds and parmesan for the first time.  SO good.  The "breading" reminded me of panko crumbs.
~The enchiladas used up a package of tortillas and remaining cube of cheese from a gift sampler.  Tomorrow night's burritos will take care of the rest of the tortillas.  I'll serve them with the remaining avocado.
~Ate more of the frozen appetizers leftover from holiday entertaining.
~Finally going to make my first cauliflower steaks tonight.
~Ate leftover beef sausage and yellow squash stir fry for lunch today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3048 on: January 25, 2021, 04:06:12 PM »
@MountainGal - blueberry oatmeal sounds great! Did you like it? If so, please share the recipe. I made pumpkin granola this weekend, so I have so much granola to work through. I froze 3 containers & will eat one over the next week or so.

We still have a boatload of appetizers to work through as well. It's my husband's kryptonite. When he sees appetizers at Costco, he buys them. As you can imagine, Costco sized appetizers take a while to go through!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3049 on: January 26, 2021, 02:21:20 AM »
We gave up coffee around 2 months ago and it is making a huge difference in drinking down other beverages that we've had around for too long..

almost all of our black tea has been consumed, so now I'm onto the barley drinks, mushroom drinks and other herbal blends :)

*plus I'm inspired by this thread and will go make a roasted red pepper dip with a jar that needs using up (alongside the breadcrumbs,  parsley and almonds that will go in it) :)

@Serendip
Could you please explain how you make a mushroom drink? Is that just stock?
And what is barley drink is you don't mean beer? Just adding warm water to pull out the sugars?