Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 549449 times)

Maya

• Stubble
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #2450 on: March 18, 2019, 07:01:47 PM »
Rejoining here as been trying to keep the grocery bill in check. Budget/goal for this year is $700/month. So far I'm under by $700 from the last two months. Cleared out a lot of meat in January and February but recently stocked up on chicken that was on sale.

It does feel good to use up things that have been around for ages.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2451 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:10 AM »
I went grocery shopping and to WalMart for since my last post.  Total spent this month is $231.26.  $57.02 of that is TP, vitamins and HBAs.  Goal was $200, and I haven't yet gone to Sam's Club.

Over the weekend I baked Irish soda bread which used up the flour from Christmas baking.  I opened the bag of gluten free flour for brownies, which really needs to be used up.  I bought yeast at the store which will help with a future quick bread.  I used a cup or so of mini marshmallows, also leftover from Christmas, on top of the brownies.

I made overnight oats for DH which used up the rest of the oatmeal, also from Christmas baking.

Also consumed was a bag of ranch flavored cauliflower (blegh-kinda mushy) from the freezer, a can of fruit cocktail, a can of diced chiles, and a pound of ground venison.

Out of the freezer for dinners this week:  2 packages of pork chops, a pound each ground sausage and venison, and a whole chicken.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2452 on: April 05, 2019, 08:50:29 AM »
Going to have to make a BJ's run this weekend (we're out of all meat and fish, and running low on canned tomato products), but I'll try to restrain our usual stock up mentality this time to not take too many steps back.  The freezer is slowly going down - only one quart of soup left, and we finished the frozen fruit and all the veggies except the corn.  Time to put chili on the menu!

I've been better at remembering to use the jars of fruit and jams I canned last year.  Ate most of a jar of peaches, a half-pint of cranberry marmalade, and opened a jar of strawberry preserves to have with toast.

Last night we had chana masala from dried chickpeas and canned tomato.  Earlier this week we had beans and rice with a 4-bean mix in the crockpot.

I have one lone can of tuna that I can't figure out how to use - DH doesn't like canned tuna, so I had them as snacks for just me, but I haven't been snacking in the afternoons as much recently.  Gotta think of some way to use it up.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2453 on: April 05, 2019, 09:31:00 AM »
I made a bolognese sauce this weekend that used up a bunch of stuff: wilty veggies, an open jar of marinara, two tubs from the freezer of homemade tomato sauce, plus frozen ground turkey that I bought for $.50/pound. It was delicious, and I loved making it from freezer items.

We also ate lasagna from the freezer last night, and we're entering the weekend with zero leftovers from the week, which is just how I like it!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2454 on: April 05, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »
@Raenia, that marmalade sounds really good!  Re: canned tuna, I usually put it on top of my lunch greens then doctor it up with olives, diced cucumber, and whatever else I have lying around.

As part of the eat all of the food and avoid waste, last month I focused on take out condiment packets:
Ketchup went on top of a meatloaf
The honey packet was used in tea
Soy sauce was used in an entree recipe
Parmesan packets went on top of pizza
Taco sauce packets are ongoing and never ending, LOL.

The two freezer basket levels are going down.  And the extra freezer in the garage now contains only venison and pork items.  This week we used up the orange roughy, lamb, and ground beef I cooked, seasoned and tossed into the freezer a few months ago.  So convenient to warm up for a work night dinner!

Kroger/City Market is currently having their buy 10 for $10, so I stocked up on items we were completely out of:  Rotel, broth and pineapple.

jnnfr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2455 on: April 05, 2019, 05:43:36 PM »
Greetings! First time poster here but I seem to have hit a second wind for using up stuff so thought Id track it:
- ate the last pack of soba noodles for lunch with frozen peas, soy sauce, sriracha and Ume vinegar (which also needs using up)
- a pack of vegetarian gelatin, a sample pack of vanilla paste and a can of coconut cream went into a decent pannacotta.
Honestly I thought Id done everything I could but somehow more stuff keeps appearing.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2456 on: April 06, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
@Raenia, that marmalade sounds really good!  Re: canned tuna, I usually put it on top of my lunch greens then doctor it up with olives, diced cucumber, and whatever else I have lying around.

It's a cranberry and red onion marmalade from Ball's Back-to-Basics canning book. I can pm you the recipe if you want.

Used up the tuna as an afternoon snack yesterday, mixed up with garlic, basil, and balsamic vinegar and spread it on toast.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2457 on: April 07, 2019, 08:20:03 AM »
Greetings! First time poster here but I seem to have hit a second wind for using up stuff so thought Id track it:
- ate the last pack of soba noodles for lunch with frozen peas, soy sauce, sriracha and Ume vinegar (which also needs using up)
- a pack of vegetarian gelatin, a sample pack of vanilla paste and a can of coconut cream went into a decent pannacotta.
Honestly I thought Id done everything I could but somehow more stuff keeps appearing.

In my experience, more stuff always appears!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2458 on: April 08, 2019, 11:54:15 AM »

It's a cranberry and red onion marmalade from Ball's Back-to-Basics canning book. I can pm you the recipe if you want.

Used up the tuna as an afternoon snack yesterday, mixed up with garlic, basil, and balsamic vinegar and spread it on toast.
Thank you for offering.  Alas, I do not can.  ;)

Pennycounter

• Stubble
« Reply #2459 on: April 12, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »
In an effort to keep food on hand all the time, I stocked up on frozen meats and seafood. So now we are working our way through that, which is good because our groceries and overall spending has been WAY TOO HIGH for comfort.