Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 519877 times)

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #2400 on: January 16, 2019, 06:19:12 PM »
My second week of the pantry challenge hasn't been as good as the first.  The combination of a busy weekend and a craving for salads led me to buy a bunch of salad ingredients to eat for dinner all week.  I did do a good job eating not-particularly-appealing leftovers from the freezer for my lunches.

Anyone else seem to always try to re-start healthy eating at the same time as a pantry challenge?  (Got to love January and all those goals...)  They're kind of tricky to do at the same time.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2401 on: January 16, 2019, 06:51:14 PM »
Made butternut squash mac and cheese.  we’re not particularly doing a pantry challenge right now, but the squash was on its way out and I determined not to waste it.  Some googling for receipts found several delicious looking ones that needed extra ingredients, but it is a truth universally acknowledged that a trip to the grocery for one item leads to many unplanned purchases.  I kept looking until I found the one that we had all of the supplies for. Used up a chunk of cheddar cheese from the freezer that wasn’t good for slicing anymore. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #2402 on: January 16, 2019, 08:06:43 PM »
I'm doing this somewhat inadvertently as the government shutdown/furlough drags on.  I have plenty of time on my hands, and want to keep the grocery spend down.

For breakfasts I've been working on the oatmeal supply, along with random nuts and the non-dairy milk we overbought at CostCo.  Also adding random dried and frozen fruits and some protein powder that's been around way too long.

Tomorrow I'm making cornbread with my stock of masa.

Other things I should work on using:

Lots of plain, raw almonds
Tons of frozen green chile and poblanos
Partially dried tomatos
Thai and regular basil pesto
Spiral sliced ham
Remainder of an overcooked lamb roast with the bone
Canister of unsweetened coconut flakes
Canned peaches
Apple and apricot butter

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2403 on: January 17, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »
@SquashingDebt , kind of.  My lunches of topping fresh baby spinach with leftovers worked pretty well last week.  I bought a fresh bag of spinach this week and it seems to be going well.

Cold weather had me nesting over the weekend and focusing on using up what we have:
~Cherry tomatoes from last season went into homemade pasta sauce
~Mulling spices given to me as a Christmas present went into orange mulled wine
~Instead of smoking new cuts of meat, we ate leftover backstrap and loin from the freezer
~Brought up the container of Folgers and bottled waters from the guest room to use them up
~Been nibbling on leftover Christmas treats I froze instead of throw away last month
~Instead of buying more zucchini at the store this week, I remembered we have grated garden fresh zucchini from last season in the freezer

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2404 on: January 21, 2019, 07:05:50 AM »
Haven't done very well lately, but with lots of teenagers in the house this past week, I used up some lingering cinnamon rolls in a can to make monkey bread, a cake mix and vanilla greek yogurt to make coffee cake and another cake mix to make cookie bars.  Only 5 boxes of cake mix left!  Will be making turkey chili tonight to use up some lingering turkey meat, cans of rotel and pinto beans.  I found a couple cans of mandarin oranges and refried beans behind black beans.  Not something we like or use, so I'll be looking for uses of those. 

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2405 on: January 24, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
Having been down with pneumonia had me going stir crazy stuck in the house.  Baking and cooking kept me sane, LOL.

~Leftover Christmas baking ingredients went into biscuits and muffins
~1 lb sausage went into gravy
~Used the rest of the nori sheets in sushi Sunday
~Used leftover sushi crab on top of salads twice this week
~Thawed blueberries and have been using them on top of dairy free yogurt and salads.  Here's to healthy antioxidants!
~Used 2 large chicken breasts and 2 lbs pork ribs in various entrees
~Similar to 2 weeks ago, bagged spinach has provided lunches this week, with leftovers on top and homemade blue cheese dressing.

Next up:  Figure out how to use frozen sandwich rolls from Halloween.  A strata?  French toast bites?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2406 on: January 24, 2019, 12:27:02 PM »
Made pancakes from leftover sourdough starter this morning, and topped them with the remains of a jar of apricot butter.

I have several jars of peaches that I need to cook down into a jam or something.

Tonight DH will be out skiing, so I'll cook myseelf a lone sweet potato that's looking a little sad.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #2407 on: January 24, 2019, 05:36:39 PM »
We didn't eat a bakery loaf quick enough and it hardened up, so I made Tuscan Bread Soup (https://food52.com/recipes/33081-pancotto-tuscan-bread-soup) and used some other bread ends from the freezer at the same time.  I also used a bit of leek dip mix from the cupboard, and it turned out delicous. I will definitely make this again. Frozen bread ends are something that pile up around here (I already use them in casseroles, meatballs or meatloafs and other things when we need bread crumbs).   I need to commit again to using up all our random bits that end up in the freezer!

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2408 on: January 25, 2019, 07:33:14 AM »
Next up:  Figure out how to use frozen sandwich rolls from Halloween.  A strata?  French toast bites?

Croutons?  I do that a lot as my family won't grumble about salads if it has a lot of different veggies and other stuff in it. 

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2409 on: January 25, 2019, 11:35:07 AM »
Thanks, @halftimer and @Unique User

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #2410 on: January 27, 2019, 08:13:32 PM »
My pantry challenge went better this week.  All of my lunches and dinners were at least partially from the pantry/freezer:

• pasta with pesto & veggies - pasta from pantry, pesto & veggies from freezer, parmesan cheese was purchased
  • broccoli soup - broccoli from freezer, cheddar from fridge, finished off a "Better Than Bouillon" from the fridge (this was kind of a fail - couldn't get it smooth enough; we'll see if I end up eating any more of it)
  • chili - tomatoes, corn, shallots, red peppers, and beans from the freezer, purchased garlic and ground beef - made 14 servings!  (I'll eat 4-5 this week and freeze the rest for future lunches)

I also thawed, marinated, and roasted some tempeh from the freezer to use on salads this week.

I'm going to keep going right into February with my challenge.  I feel like I haven't really even made a dent in my freezers yet.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2411 on: January 28, 2019, 07:31:26 AM »
I'm really struggling these days, as my husband is on a very different diet (keto, not as a health/weight loss, but to narrow down allergy symptoms that have caused hives for months). The hives are finally gone, so now he can undergo extensive allergy testing. However, it means that he is eating pretty much entirely separate meals each night. I already have had to go dairy free (again, food sensitivities) over the past few months, so much of what's in the freezer/pantry right now, neither of us can eat. The kids can eat most of it, but it takes more time, & effort to prep multiple meals.

But, I made egg roll in a bowl yesterday with cauliflower rice. It did require purchasing a few ingredients, but I used hoisin sauce & pickled ginger, both of which were in the fridge from a recipe my son needed for cooking class. It didn't use them up, but I will likely make this again another night soon, and finish both of those.

My goals for this week are mostly to eat down all leftovers in the fridge, and focus less on the freezer/pantry until we're all able to have the same meals. I also want there to be pretty much nothing in the fridge when I leave for London on Saturday, as last week when I traveled. . . I came home to a bunch of food waste in the fridge. :-(

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2412 on: January 31, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »
I am presently putting together a homemade approximation of a boozy hot cider that the bar down the street serves:

Found some frozen apple juice concentrate, left over from a canning recipe from who knows how long ago, in the freezer.
Found some old-ish, but still flavorful, mulling spices in the pantry.
Found some amaretto in the liquor cabinet, also left over from a canning recipe probably a couple years ago

Frugal drinking during the polar vortex!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2413 on: February 01, 2019, 12:11:20 PM »
Am I too late to join y'all, @Tris Prior?  :D

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2414 on: February 03, 2019, 11:05:58 PM »
I used a jar of apricot butter in banana bread today.  I used Mark Bittman's recipe, which includes unsweetened coconut.  OMG, so good.  I know how I'm using the rest of the jars of apricot butter!

The guy I've been buying lamb from totally flaked on me this year, so I'm feeling a little conflicted about using up last year's lamb.  It is the best ever, and who knows if I'll be able to get any more.

In the spirit of using everything, I've been making pancakes from excess sourdough starter most weekends.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2415 on: February 04, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »
~Used very brown bananas in a banana bread.  This also helped to use leftover Christmas baking ingredients.
~Used the aforementioned leftover slider rolls in a cream cheese French toast casserole
~Used strawberries frozen last season to top the above casserole
~Used leftover pork roast and refried beans in quesadillas
~Continuing to use up leftovers on top of a bed of spinach for lunches.  Today's combo is leftover goat cheese from last weekend's wine and cheese plate along with a few other things from the fridge.
~If I have the time and energy after work tonight, I'm going to make flax muffins which will use up a bit of the flax seed

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2416 on: February 12, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »
There have been few wins lately, as everyone is eating different things in our house these days.

But, yesterday I remembered to bake chicken empanadas before they went bad, so served them with dinner last night, & we will eat the remaining with tacos this week.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2417 on: February 13, 2019, 10:50:46 PM »
I was a little over-zealous in meal-prepping over the Christmas break. It's now mid-February and I'm still playing Tetris every time I try to get something out of my freezer.

Coupled with a weekend away at the last minute (family issue) a few weeks ago that left me frantically poking things in the freezer before they expired, without bothering with labels and ... the situation isn't good. Is it bolognese? It could be bolognese.

This week I'm aiming to use up:
- the bolognese (I'm pretty sure it's bolognese)
- one of three jars of salsa (salsa chicken)
- peri peri chicken (salads for work)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2418 on: February 15, 2019, 12:06:14 AM »
My spouse was hungry for a complex nutty seedy fruity muffin.  We’re out of those kinds of ingredients but I used a granola with a too strong / synthetic tasting vanilla flavor as the base for a quick muffin. Not an amazing muffin but passable enough to satisfy him and it made the granola edible.