Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 476231 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #2300 on: September 12, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »
This is the time of excess garden  produce. There is no freekin way I will be Eating all the foods in the house. Much will be composted. Our own stuff, and then our friend has buckets and buckets of pears and she drops of some to us.

I got a bag of pears as well! I don't want that many pears! But they were going to waste if I didn't take them... and they were free. Argh! Mustachian dilemma. I'll take some into work I guess.
I love pears!

We have a few fruit trees, so I always share our excess with friends, coworkers, and neighbors.  My favorite part of the sharing is that sometimes we're gifted a delightful treat. 

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2301 on: September 14, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »
I tossed in a half box of broth, a can of chipotle peppers, and a jar of homemade plum preserves from last year in with the pork roast Wednesday.

Last night we used up a bag of shrimp, a yellow squash from DH's garden, and the rest of the salad mix given to us by a friend while camping last weekend.

The pantry is now back to where I can see the back of it, and I can see the bottom of the freezer drawers.

Zoot

• Bristles
« Reply #2302 on: September 15, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »
For all those with excess pears, two words:  PEAR PRESERVES.  My grandmother made these every year and I have SUCH good memories surrounding the making and eating of this wonderful stuff.  :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2303 on: September 15, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »
We made lunch out of leftovers, so our leftover area in the fridge is looking cleared out. I'm planning to make butternut squash soup tomorrow, and I think I have a small bag of frozen butternut squash. I'll add it to the package I bought today & double up my recipe, making one batch for the freezer & one for dinners this week.

I also defrosted chicken & dumplings yesterday, and had one serving for lunch immediately, and one today.

For dinner tonight, we're having burgers from the freezer.

When my husband is out of town, we do well at eating down the freezer/fridge. :-)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2304 on: September 16, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »
For all those with excess pears, two words:  PEAR PRESERVES.  My grandmother made these every year and I have SUCH good memories surrounding the making and eating of this wonderful stuff.  :)

And pear sauce!  Just like apple sauce. Growing up we ate applesauce with almost every meal. Mom would put a few pears in each batch instead of sugar but apples were practically free while pears were expensive.

GermanStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2305 on: September 16, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
. Somewhere, a Depression era grandmother is quaking in her slippers, but I love it!

That made me laugh out . So funny  😂😝

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #2306 on: September 16, 2018, 05:13:53 PM »

Oooh, if you want to splurge on vanilla beans, this is my all-time favorite jam:  http://foodinjars.com/2011/02/pear-vanilla-jam/

SO GOOD.

Zoot

• Bristles
« Reply #2307 on: September 16, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »
Oooh, if you want to splurge on vanilla beans, this is my all-time favorite jam:  http://foodinjars.com/2011/02/pear-vanilla-jam/

SO GOOD.

This looks AMAZING--and in the spirit of this thread, I actually have a couple of vanilla beans in my pantry that I need to use up.  I think I have a project for next weekend (assuming I can find some good pears)!  :)

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2308 on: September 16, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »
I really need to do this. Our freezer is packed.

We did grill our last two pieces of frozen salmon for fish tacos in honor of Mexican Independence Day. Im hoping it will cool off soon, because a batch of beef vegetable soup will take care of a pound of frozen beef and a bunch of frozen veggies.

The pear-vanilla jam looks amazing.

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #2309 on: September 17, 2018, 05:38:32 AM »

SO GOOD.

This looks AMAZING--and in the spirit of this thread, I actually have a couple of vanilla beans in my pantry that I need to use up.  I think I have a project for next weekend (assuming I can find some good pears)!  :)

Nice!  One word of warning - I had a very sad incident once when I used my immersion blender as suggested in the recipe - the jam was so hot that it melted the (plastic) immersion blender!  I ended up throwing out that batch of jam because it didn't seem quite safe to eat.  And buying a stainless steel immersion blender, haha.

krmit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2310 on: September 22, 2018, 09:23:16 PM »
My freezer is already looking SO much better - a batch of soup really cleared out some miscellaneous veggies and broth.

This week's win was a vegetarian shepherd's pie using some lentils, some leftover cooked pintos, and some powdered potatoes. Fed us for three days. Thawing out a package of baby back ribs to throw in the crockpot tomorrow.

@iris lily, pear ginger jam is also really good - any combination of candied ginger, powdered ginger, and/or fresh ginger!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2311 on: September 24, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »
I need to start working through our freezer & pantry over the next few weeks. Everything is way too crowded, and it's hard to find things. I hate it when it gets like that. I should instead be grateful for the abundance, perhaps. :-)

This weekend, I plan to make a double batch of butternut squash soup with goat cheese crostini. That will use up a loaf of bread (freezer), a package of goat cheese (fridge) and 1/2 of the squash (freezer). I'll freeze the rest for a second meal.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2312 on: September 24, 2018, 01:30:57 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache , that sounds delicious!

Last week:
~Last weekend the rest of the flour and granulated sugar was used up for fritters with apples our neighbors gave us.
~A jar of cherries went into the Crock Pot with chicken breasts.
This past weekend:
~We ate cherry tomatoes from DH's garden with several meals.  There are still so many left!
~Shredded and chopped (yay food processor) about 40 cups of zucchini from a neighbor's garden for our freezer and friends.
~Used up the rest of the green beans from a different neighbor's garden.
~Indulged in half of the BD cake leftover from Feb.
~Per my request, DH planted basil earlier this year and there is now so.much.basil.  Found a doable pesto recipe online to resolve that soon.
~Wed. I'll use up the chicken drumsticks bought several months ago on sale.
~Tonight will be the rest of the Budget Bytes Not Refried Beans from April.
~Ate some aging celery and cucumber for lunch today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2313 on: September 24, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »
@MountainGal - ooh, it's delicious & easy. I'll post recipes. The goat cheese crostini is by far my favorite winter/fall appetizer. We top ours with thinly sliced cucumber or pomegranate seeds, but it's also good plain. https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/goat-cheese-crostini

mountain mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2314 on: September 24, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
My goal is to eat everything out of my deep freezer in October, so I can defrost it! Also, I had surgery this month, so my income is almost non-existant, so the eat the freezer will coincide with a less than $100 grocery month. It makes me anxious to think about an empty freezer, but I tend to hoard sale food, so I think it's healthy to clear it out once or twice a year, haha!

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2315 on: September 24, 2018, 03:13:45 PM »
Any ideas to use up a chuck roast in a way that's healthy/vegetable-centric? I've been struggling to come up with a recipe that isn't really meat-centric or meat-with-carbs. Partly because I'd like to make the meat go a lot farther, and partly for health reasons.

mountain mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2316 on: September 24, 2018, 03:24:04 PM »
Any ideas to use up a chuck roast in a way that's healthy/vegetable-centric? I've been struggling to come up with a recipe that isn't really meat-centric or meat-with-carbs. Partly because I'd like to make the meat go a lot farther, and partly for health reasons.

I would just take the chuck roast, and cube it up into about 1-2 inch chunks, brown it with onions, and use it to make a yummy beef and vegetable soup! You could throw in tomatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, rutabaga, green beans, corn, etc...it would stretch the roast to a ton of meals, and add a lot of veggie/broth bulk to the meal to make it more well rounded!

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2317 on: September 24, 2018, 03:36:58 PM »

I would just take the chuck roast, and cube it up into about 1-2 inch chunks, brown it with onions, and use it to make a yummy beef and vegetable soup! You could throw in tomatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, rutabaga, green beans, corn, etc...it would stretch the roast to a ton of meals, and add a lot of veggie/broth bulk to the meal to make it more well rounded!

Oh, that sounds good! I never made anything like that before. I could do something like a minestrone with beef instead of beans. Thanks for the idea :-)

krmit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2318 on: September 24, 2018, 07:12:45 PM »
Do what I did today with some leftover (cooked) ribs! Chopped them up and added them to a cabbage taco salad - peppers, tomatoes, the shredded meat, shredded cheese, and salsa for dressing. Crushed tortilla chip on top optional. Yum.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2319 on: September 25, 2018, 09:38:49 AM »
@MountainGal - ooh, it's delicious & easy. I'll post recipes. The goat cheese crostini is by far my favorite winter/fall appetizer. We top ours with thinly sliced cucumber or pomegranate seeds, but it's also good plain. https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/goat-cheese-crostini

Yum!  Thank you!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2320 on: September 25, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »
Eating leftovers from the freezer in an effort to clear it out for fall and winter baking and stockpiling.  I have enchiladas with no tortillas (I'm a low carber) for lunch today, and DH will have chicken and rice for tomorrow's lunch.  He just doesn't know it yet, LOL.

Next up to work with is 3 slices of leftover pork tenderloin.  (I think?  I didn't label it in my haste to toss it in the freezer on our way out of town earlier this year.  Didn't want it to go to waste during our absence.)  I might thaw it, then simmer it in some sort of sauce in case it's tough.  We'll see.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2321 on: September 30, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
I've been on a mission over the past few days, using up a ton of fridge/freezer items:
-Naan bread into pizzas, using lots of bits & bobs from the fridge & the last of cheese & tomato sauces
-Made butternut squash soup & goat cheese risotto (all from items around the house, plus tossed in celery, as it was in the crisper)
-Made jalapeno/cilantro hummus. Jalapenos from the garden, but did have to buy the cilantro for $.59. Have another recipe tonight that will use the rest of the cilantro
-Came home from a long run & was starving so ate Dino Nuggets from the freezer. Sometimes, you need something bland & easy. ;-)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2322 on: September 30, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »
I have a ton of lemongrass growing in my yard. Does anyone have good recipes?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2323 on: September 30, 2018, 06:04:49 PM »
finished the ginger-honey vinegar dressing/marinade thing I had picked up for 50% off a while back. It worked well simmered with onions and apples and a bit of soy, served with grilled heritage pork medallions.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2324 on: September 30, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
@pbkmaine - I haven't made it myself, but love lemongrass chicken. Maybe something like this? https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241607/vietnamese-grilled-lemongrass-chicken/

Our 12 year old cooked tonight (I supervised) & he used some leftover cilantro & made Dragon Noodles. SO.Good. https://www.budgetbytes.com/spicy-noodles/

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2325 on: October 02, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache , how cool your son is helping with meal preparation! 

Lately:
~2 packages of deeply discounted chicken drumsticks went into the Crock Pot with leftover coconut milk, broth and spices.
~Chicken breasts, taco seasoning, honey (it's almost gone, yay!), and broth was last night's slow cooker meal.  Served it in LC tortillas with cheese and sour cream.
~So many tomatoes are still being harvested from our garden!  DH took a large bag to work today for co-workers, and I'll freeze a tray tonight.
~Tomorrow I'll cook up a package of pork chops bought BOGO a few months ago.
~Currently eating a salad which has used up almost all of the salami bought last month, and some of those never-ending tomatoes, LOL.
~This weekend I'll use up some dry beans by making Budget Bytes Not Refried beans.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again:  I love this thread.  :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2326 on: October 02, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »
I'm with you @MountainGal - love it!!! It always reminds me to use up what we have, & find creative solutions for the things that linger in our fridge/freezer.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2327 on: October 03, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »
Exactly, @MaybeBabyMustache !

As mentioned, I froze the tomatoes last night.  What a simple process!

For dinner I made salmon bought on sale, and cooked it in a honey and soy sauce glaze which used both of them up. :)

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #2328 on: October 03, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »
Ohmygod. Thinking about this challenge. I have to make an inventory of all the things in my refrigerator and pantry and start doing this. I think I'll cry.

Yesterday I saw 2 lemons on the side of the refrigerator- may be a month old or more than that. 
I made a delicious Indian lemon rice with it...enough for my dinner & lunch. Had salmon fry as side and it was heaven.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2329 on: October 04, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »
I thought I'd defrost taco meat for dinner tonight, but realized we didn't have any (sidenote: need to prep more), so I'll be getting creative again. I'm thinking that we'll have the beef tips sauce my mom made & froze in August, over pasta. I have one child that won't eat that, so he'll need something different. I think I'll defrost a leftover burger for him, with . . . pasta. His universal first choice of eating.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2330 on: October 04, 2018, 12:12:39 PM »
I'm eating down the random food that we've acquired while my DH is away.  I had a lovely tomato, fresh mozzarella, and pesto salad last night.  I also packed a few random leftovers in a container for lunch today--cauliflower, black beans, chicken, quinoa, and a little salsa. 

I tossed a few bananas in the freezer before they started molding.  I will make banana bread soon. 

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2331 on: October 05, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache , I'm with your kiddo-yay pasta!

@4alpacas , that salad sounds really good!

Today is clean out the office mini fridge day.  I"m currently having leftover green beans, celery, cream cheese, a few berries and 2 deli turkey slices for lunch.  I didn't get to the pork chop, so I'll bring it back home.

Happy weekend, everyone!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2332 on: October 05, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
We have a big grocery order coming tomorrow afternoon, but I thought I'd cook up a few things today to use up a few things.

Banana muffins--used up sugar, bananas in freezer, one container of cinnamon (still have another)
Wheat Rotini with chicken, spinach, and pesto--Used up half empty box of rotini, all of the chicken in the freezer, and spinach from the freezer
Loaf of bread