Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 449991 times)

bucketsofrain

• Bristles
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #2250 on: June 17, 2018, 04:50:14 AM »
I need some help. I bought ricotta salata because it was on sale and I was sure that I had some recipes for it. I cannot find the recipes I was thinking of.

Suggestions? Otherwise I'll just use it in place of feta.

Ricotta salata is traditionally served with pasta puttanesca (https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11583-pasta-puttanesca) if you like the ingredients in that!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2251 on: June 18, 2018, 04:51:54 AM »
I need some help. I bought ricotta salata because it was on sale and I was sure that I had some recipes for it. I cannot find the recipes I was thinking of.
Ricotta salata is traditionally served with pasta puttanesca (https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11583-pasta-puttanesca) if you like the ingredients in that!

I just restocked on capers, so that's a great idea with some shrimp & zucchini.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #2252 on: June 19, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »
Finally got my fridge and freezer to the point where I could defrost and deep clean! Aaaah so satisfying. I have some condiments and spinach left, but otherwise it's all empty.
I've put everything on the bottom shelf of the fridge and bottom drawer of the freezer. That way I'll know what I should finish first when I get new groceries.

I just love the sight of an empty fridge. Somewhere, a Depression era grandmother is quaking in her slippers, but I love it!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2253 on: June 19, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
@Nederstash - totally agree on the empty fridge! Speaking of, cut up a bunch of produce & froze it for future use, as we are all going out of town. . . box of tomatoes + 6 peaches, half a melon & 1/2 a pineapple.

lentil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2254 on: July 06, 2018, 09:56:37 AM »
I just realized that harvest season is right around the corner (AKA the time when I re-stock the freezer with super-cheap seasonal veggies, plus garden produce if our garden somehow manages to recover from hail/heat/bugs). Meanwhile, after two solid months of hosting guests, mixed with a few other routine-disrupting events, our meal-planning/shopping/cooking habits are absurdly out of whack. So I'm in to try to Eat Up My House (Or At Least the Freezer Contents) in July, en route to getting back on track in general.

Step 1: Take an inventory of the chest freezer so I can start planning meals around whatever is in there

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2255 on: July 06, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
@lentil, good luck!

Poked around the freezer a bit last night and pulled out 2 slices of Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, and a container of Budget Byte's Not Refried beans from earlier this year.  DH said it's good he's not on call this weekend.  ;)  I'm at the point where I can actually see part of the freezer basket bottom.

lentil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2256 on: July 06, 2018, 10:39:13 PM »
Thanks MountainGal! Step 1 is complete. My freezer is not quite as horrendous as I thought, and actually heading towards eaten-down (just needs some work to get it ready for autumn additions). I made a list of the contents and stuck it on the fridge door, in hopes that I will remember to check it. Most of the things have an obvious purpose, but there are a few WTF items and antiques in there too.

For dinner today, I used up half a bag of cauliflower, half a bag of grated carrots, half a bag of brussels sprouts, and perhaps a few too many hot peppers...all things that have been hanging around in the freezer for six months or longer. With the addition of various other kitchen staples, plus a ton of spices, it became a pretty decent curry. It's a start, anyway!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2257 on: July 07, 2018, 04:18:54 PM »
Defrosted what I thought what chicken curry (surprise - it was a chicken fiesta rice dish) from the freezer yesterday for lunch for myself + the husband. I ate more for lunch today, & have a smallish serving for tomorrow's lunch. It's always good to clear out the freezer!

Now I need to figure out to do with all of the tomatoes I froze before my trip.

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #2258 on: July 08, 2018, 04:08:19 PM »
Defrosted what I thought what chicken curry (surprise - it was a chicken fiesta rice dish) from the freezer yesterday for lunch for myself + the husband. I ate more for lunch today, & have a smallish serving for tomorrow's lunch. It's always good to clear out the freezer!

My go-to for frozen tomatoes (I freeze a bunch whole every summer since I get them free at work but don't have time to process them much.) involves dumping them in a pot with a little water and cooking them down for a few hours.  Then you can immersion-blend them and have the basis for tomato sauce or tomato soup.  I find that the skins are fine as long as you blend them up :)

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2259 on: July 09, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
High fives, @lentil !

Don't you just love surprises, @MaybeBabyMustache ? LOL

@SquashingDebt , soup with fresh tomatoes sounds delicious!

DH had one of two of the leftover pumpkin pie slices.  Said you cannot tell it's 7.5 months old.  Yay freezer utilization!  There's one more serving in this particular Not Refried Bean container.  One more to go in the freezer.  I'll give DH a break, LOL.

Saturday night I made a snack tray for a guest and us using up pantry and fridge odds and ends:  Leftover fancy crackers, pita chips, salami and pepperoni from a weekend excursion, a can of olives, 3 types of cheeses, almonds, and a few other items.  People think I'm fancy when I do these, LOL.

This week's focus is jarred sauces.  A jar of Ragu meat is in the Crock Pot with a $5 pork roast.  I'll serve it tonight over angel hair or a hamburger bun for DH, baby spinach for me.  Later this week I'm making chicken Alfredo with Ragu Classic Alfredo sauce.  I'll serve it on top of zoodles.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2260 on: July 26, 2018, 06:10:05 PM »
@MountainGal - you'd think I'd learn to label, after multiple surprises, but . . . nope ;-)

I've found a reasonable rhythm for menu planning. We've always done "cook on weekends, eat leftovers" during the work week. That works well, but we typically run out by Thursday. What I've started to do on Thursdays is to consider it my eat down single servings from the fridge/freezer, or other random freezer items day.

Here's our menu from the week:
Friday - naan pizzas
Saturday - grilled hot dogs & corn
Sunday - beef kebabs & rice
Monday - leftover pizza
Tuesday - leftover hot dogs & corn, with an addition of side pasta
Wednesday - leftover kebabs & rice
Thursday - kids will have hot dogs & pasta, my husband will have kebabs & rice, and I'll have eggplant cutlets from the freezer + the remaining rice.That should pretty much clear out the fridge
Friday - I'm thinking tacos, but will start a fresh cycle of meal prep

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2261 on: July 29, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »

My go-to for frozen tomatoes (I freeze a bunch whole every summer since I get them free at work but don't have time to process them much.) involves dumping them in a pot with a little water and cooking them down for a few hours.  Then you can immersion-blend them and have the basis for tomato sauce or tomato soup.  I find that the skins are fine as long as you blend them up :)

I used the frozen tomatoes (plus a couple that I'd cut last night for a barbecue but didn't end up using) in this recipe. It's one of my favorites. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/19376/fresh-tomato-basil-sauce/
We had everything on hand, & I have SO MUCH basil, so it worked well. We now have 2L of tomatoes sauce in the freezer, ready for future dinners.

PoutineLover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2262 on: July 29, 2018, 07:47:56 PM »
I have a ton of extra stuff in my pantry due to combining two households. Going to try and do some baking to get rid of the extra flour, sugar, etc. And not do many groceries so we can finish up the rice, pasta, dry goods that we have way too much of now. Only groceries will be fresh fruits and veggies. Any ideas for somewhat healthy recipes that use up baking supplies? I don't want to eat a million cookies, and there's only so many people I can pass them off to.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2263 on: July 30, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
@PoutineLover - how about muffins? You can adapt the healthiness quotient as you like. My two top favorites are http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fresh-cranberry-muffins & http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-spot-banana-muffins. For the banana muffins, there is no butter, and I often sub oatmeal for the wheat germ. I bake large batches of muffins at a time, and then freeze for future use. These are a little sweeter, but I find these granola bars to be quite flexible to use up random ingredients around the house. https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2016/04/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-granola-bars/

PoutineLover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2264 on: July 30, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
Those are great ideas, thanks @MaybeBabyMustache! Muffins would make great breakfasts and snacks on the go. My freezer doesn't work great, so I'll have to see if they're still good if I do that, but I could probably make a batch a week or so if not.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2265 on: July 30, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »
@PoutineLover , zucchini bread comes to mind.  If I remember correctly, the recipe I used to follow (I'm a low carber now) uses several cups of flour.  :)

PoutineLover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2266 on: July 30, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
Zucchini bread sounds tasty and healthy @MountainGal! From a quick google search just found this recipe that looks easy: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6698/moms-zucchini-bread/
3 cups of flour! And I can probably mix whole wheat and white. Luckily I'm also having a bunch of guests this weekend so they can help me make and eat all this good stuff. Plus I've been meaning to get more into meal planning so this will add to my repertoire of tasty recipes that will keep me fed all week. Keep the good ideas coming!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2267 on: July 30, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
Thumbs up, @PoutineLover !! :D

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2268 on: July 31, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »
I have a ton of extra stuff in my pantry due to combining two households. Going to try and do some baking to get rid of the extra flour, sugar, etc. And not do many groceries so we can finish up the rice, pasta, dry goods that we have way too much of now. Only groceries will be fresh fruits and veggies. Any ideas for somewhat healthy recipes that use up baking supplies? I don't want to eat a million cookies, and there's only so many people I can pass them off to.

It doesn't help much on the sweeteners, but what about using some of the other ingredients in main dishes? Cornmeal can go in polenta or a tamale pie, or cornbread to serve with a summer salad. Flour can go in dumplings or a biscuit topping on a pie, or in a quiche crust. Also, if you want to get through a lot of sugar quickly, candy might use it faster than baking. Obviously that's not at all healthy, but it would give you fewer batches of things that need to be given away and the bonus is that you don't have to heat the oven, just a burner on top of the stove. (If you don't have AC, that might need to wait until a little bit cooler weather.)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2269 on: August 05, 2018, 04:27:23 AM »
Finished up the container of tamarind paste making pulled pork yesterday (tamarind, gochujang, soy, ginger, lemon/honey 'tea base' - which is really a marmalade, and stock). From now on I'm just going to process the blocks - more work, but much better flavour.

Finished up the garlic-horseradish jelly with my steak last night. This stuff is so good (https://www.foodiepages.ca/The_Garlic_Box_Inc/p/Horseradish_Garlic_Jelly), but with the SO mostly low carb, it isn't reasonable to keep it in the house.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2270 on: August 05, 2018, 04:51:17 AM »
We’re getting renovations done starting in 7 days. Eek!

Tonight’s dinner wasn’t the best but did use up 3 tins of food and some veggies.

Ingredients
Tin of eggplant and tomato
Tin of cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
Tin of tuna in spring water, drained
1 Small head of broccoli, cut into small florets, steamed in the microwave
1/2 red onion thinly diced

Mixed together with some cracked black pepper and a tiny splash of balsamic vinegar.

It was edible but not great. Would not recommend unless desperate :p

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2271 on: August 06, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »
Used up lately:

Spaghetti squash served under a jar of pesto and canned chicken
Strawberries frozen last month
A bag of almond flour
A remaining half bag of shrimp
Leftover cauliflower and cheese, black olives, cream cheese

Working on the rest of the baby spinach and some sad looking cherry tomatoes