Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 377676 times)

seemsright

• Stubble
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #2200 on: April 14, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »
My 7 year old requested orange chicken for dinner. Ummm...let me see what I can do kid. A quick google search and a few tweeks I was able to put together a orange chicken dish for the girl.

The fact that I can pull together orange chicken using $.97 cent per pound chicken, a sad looking orange, some orange marmalade that has been in the back of the fridge for I have no idea how long, some garlic that must be used, some freezer burnt ginger and some sesame oil along with a bit of corn starch and water. It looks all fancy with the bits of marmalade floating around in it. I have the chicken boiling with some bay leaf and will throw on the grill tonight. I will use some leftover rice and cook up some frozen veggie from the freezer.

I have bread raising on the counter, just made some oatmeal muffins for snacks. Tmrw I will make some english muffins.

This week (and next) I am determined to not go to the store. I have enough food in this house to feed us I just have to make it. I decided to try out a fancy CSA for two weeks to try the last two weeks of the winter CSA to see if I like it for next year. And I only have $10 bucks left in the food budget. Which will be for milk, peanut butter and bananas if I need to.  The 7 year olds lunch this week might be interesting.
"Luck is how others define hard work, dedication, focus and vision" 3/15

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2201 on: April 15, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »
Last spring I found a lot of wild garlic and dried some of it. When drying, the whole house smelled of garlic, but the bag of dried stuff does not smell a lot. Still, today I finally used some of it.

I will soon pick a new bunch, but make puree of it, which tastes a lot.

savedough

• Stubble
« Reply #2202 on: April 16, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »
I'm moving right along.   This was a good week for emptying the freezer.

Used two packages of preformed hamburgers to make taco meat.  The kids like tacos more than hamburgers.
Used some chicken to make homemade chicken nuggets.
Mixed Chicken and chorizo in the crockpot to make enchilada and burrito filling.  It was amazing.
Orange Juice
A random frozen mystery lunch - turned out to be turkey and veggies with rice.
A lunch serving of pot roast.
Ice cream treats.

A bunch of stuff in the pantry that I didn't write down: Apple juice, can of black beans, rice, etc.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2203 on: April 16, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
This weekend:

I poured the remaining bits of sugar free ketchup and most of a jar of sugar free apricot preserves along with some spices and soy sauce into a freezer bag along with chicken breasts and tossed them in the freezer for future use.  Into a different bag, I poured teriyaki sauce with spices onto chicken breasts.  This type of prepping helps with dinner on busy nights.

Used up 1/2 cup coconut flour in a low carb biscuit recipe.

Drank the rest of the (nasty) instant coffee.

Friday night's leftover rotisserie chicken went into last night's chicken Alfredo over spaghetti squash.

Despite the low carb lifestyle, I "de-cluttered" 1/4 popcorn into my belly Saturday night.  ;)

savedough

• Stubble
« Reply #2204 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »
Ugh, a much slower week for using up stuff.

Out of the freezer, I think we only ended up eating some corn kernels, ice cream bars and tater tots. 

Can you tell I was the only grown-up at home this week?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #2205 on: April 24, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »
Green lentils and sticky rice are gone.  I didn't get the split peas used up before the weather turned more spring-like, so they will probably sit until next winter.

Used extra buttermilk to make a ranch style salad dressing, and used that to dress a slaw made from languishing red cabbage and jicama.

Home-canned goods are also slowly getting used up.  Have been having homemade yogurt for breakfast each day with my fruit preserves.

I'm leaving on Sunday for a 6-day work trip, so goal is to finish anything perishable before I go.