Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 333678 times)

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #2100 on: February 06, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
We don't have tilapia here because it's a pest species, but I use chunky white fish in Tom ka Gai in place of chicken. Or bake it, flake it and mix with mashed potato and veg for a fish pie

Serendip

• Stubble
« Reply #2101 on: February 07, 2018, 09:58:46 AM »
We found a bag of bananas in the freezer that had been forgotten--so I made a cocoa oatmeal bake with them (from budget bytes) and will eat that for breakfast for the rest of the week with hemp milk
(also made from a big jar of hemp hearts I would like to work through)

I like the creative cooking aspect of this challenge :)

next on the list is using up some millet and wild rice.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2102 on: February 07, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »
We're planning to move in 3-4 months so... it's time. There are some things in the pantry and freezer that I'll need to put effort into using up. The rest we're likely to eat anyway. Off the top of my head (I'm not at home right now so can't check):

Pantry:
- Italian-style breadcrumbs
- can of salmon
- pancake mix
- wild rice blend
- 1/2 bag of nutritional yeast
- 2.5 lb of pitted dates
- various expired spices
- 2 bottles of soy sauce

Freezer:
- 3 quart bags of blackberries from last summer
- broccoli
- various fish
- meatballs
- ham
- hot dogs
- 3 loaves of frozen bread dough
- 2 tubs of pesto
- random pack of frozen cookie dough that I keep forgetting is in there
Want to buy some truly random art? https://www.etsy.com/shop/CaptiveChaos

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2103 on: February 07, 2018, 11:54:52 AM »
@aetherie I'm impressed how useful your stockpile of food is...I frequently have random stuff that I "needed" while throwing things in my cart at the grocery store.

- Italian-style breadcrumbs
So many options! I use breadcrumbs on chicken (my fave) and in meatballs.
- can of salmon
Maybe partner with the breadcrumbs to make some sort of fishcake.
- pancake mix & 3-quart bags of blackberries from last summer
YUM!!! I love pancakes!  Cook down your frozen berries as a topping.
- wild rice blend + broccoli
Make big batches and use it as a side (would be tasty with salmon cakes)
- 2.5 lb of pitted dates
I love to make date-sweetened brownies
- 2 tubs of pesto
I put pesto on EVERYTHING!  On a sandwich, on eggs, on pasta.
- random pack of frozen cookie dough that I keep forgetting is in there
I do not understand people who can forget about cookies or cookie dough.  :)

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2104 on: February 07, 2018, 12:20:27 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!
Want to buy some truly random art? https://www.etsy.com/shop/CaptiveChaos

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2105 on: February 07, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »
 The enchilada bake worked out great! Cleared out leftover barbacoa, leftover fajita vegetables, frozen black bean chili, the tortillas, some random cheese...it had too much liquid at first but then set up better in the fridge.

Tried a bag of frozen pelmeni from Trader Joe's. Only managed to eat half the bag--the dill flavoring was way too strong for me.

Haven't gotten to the lemon cranberry bars yet. Due to various issues, I ended up making up a cookie mix from Trader Joe's that had been hanging around my cupboard for awhile. Good to get it out the door!

jeninco

• Bristles
« Reply #2106 on: February 08, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
Made beef and barley soup with dried mushrooms. Used up half the dried porcini we'd put away a few years ago, and most of the barley that was hanging out in the cupboard. Also tossed in (at the very end) most of a bag of kale that was an over-purchase last weekend. (thought I'd need two, only needed one.)
One kid liked it, hubby and I thought it was decent, the other kid had a complete snitfit because he'd told me earlier in the week that he didn't care for barley period. He didn't even taste it because he was so torqued.

I narrowly avoided pointing out that the barley looked almost exactly like protein-filled maggots mixed in with the beef chunks.... (Tasty maggots!)

I'll eat the rest as cereal in the next few days, then that'll be gone. Next up: another sweep through the pantry!

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2107 on: February 08, 2018, 01:19:26 PM »
...Need solutions for pomegranate salad dressing, and pomegranate flavored honey. Not together! Any ideas?

I'd probably use the salad dressing in a spinach/feta/roasted nut/chicken salad. I have a similar pomegranate vinegar from Trader Joes, and that's how I use it.

Thanks MaybeBabyMustache - that sounds like a good salad to try. Do you think it would work in a marinade as well?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #2108 on: February 08, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
Italian spaghetti squash boats were a big success last night.  Easier cleanup because the shells contain most of it. Used yucky wine, canned tomatoes and a big squash that was going soft a bit.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2109 on: February 08, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
...Need solutions for pomegranate salad dressing, and pomegranate flavored honey. Not together! Any ideas?

I'd probably use the salad dressing in a spinach/feta/roasted nut/chicken salad. I have a similar pomegranate vinegar from Trader Joes, and that's how I use it.

Thanks MaybeBabyMustache - that sounds like a good salad to try. Do you think it would work in a marinade as well?

I've never tried it, but expect it would work well with chicken

jkitiara

• Stubble
    • My journal: The Most Expensive City in the US and How I Got Here
« Reply #2110 on: February 11, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »
Because of losing my mind (apparently) at a farmer's market, I now have a surplus of veggies that the clock is ticking on. I think I should make a big veggie soup:

broccoli shoots
swiss chard
brussel sprouts
2 half onions (oops)
half can diced tomatoes

Maybe throw in some cracked wheat and squash to heft it up? How can I make a soup like this NOT bland (and I don't eat spicy)? Lots of lemon?

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2111 on: February 11, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »
I make veggie soups with a base of 50/50 mix of homemade chicken stock and tomato puree. It's very flavorful. You could also do something minestrone-ish with some Italian herbs and a sprinkle of parmesan or drizzle of olive oil on top...
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

chasesfish

• Handlebar Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
« Reply #2112 on: February 11, 2018, 04:30:44 PM »
Dang I wish I could pull this off....I struggle just to put out the oldest food once a month to commit to eating it
Check out our journal, counting down the days until I Stop Ironing Shirts

We hit $1mil by 33 and will retire at 36!  Stop by over at my site Stop Ironing Shirts

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2113 on: February 11, 2018, 04:42:08 PM »
-Used the last of a giant, Costco sized bag of potatoes. Caught the potatoes just before they went bad
-Ate the last of a lemon cookie that was part of my birthday treats. It would have been rude not to, because it was incredible.
-Ate leftover soup for lunch

jkitiara

• Stubble
« Reply #2114 on: February 11, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »
@Dollar Slice Thanks! Do I just throw the half can of tomatoes in a blender and add to soup? I've never done a tomato puree before.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2115 on: February 11, 2018, 10:48:17 PM »
@Dollar Slice Thanks! Do I just throw the half can of tomatoes in a blender and add to soup? I've never done a tomato puree before.

Honestly, I've always just bought a can of puree in the first place, so I'm not sure. I think the puree is a little more cooked down than the diced/chopped ones. Maybe someone else here has more experience with tomato substitutions...
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2116 on: February 12, 2018, 10:18:52 AM »
We're in the process of eating down on refrigerator and freezer (delivery of a new one on Friday).

I moved some Italian sausage and rolls to the fridge for dinner tonight.  I'll start a batch of taco chicken bowls tomorrow morning to use up a bag of frozen corn and two frozen chicken breasts.  I'll make some sort of smoothie with milk and the frozen fruit.  We don't have a yogurt, but I could add chia seeds to thicken the mixture.

So far, I've only spent $1.99 on groceries for February.  I bought a baguette.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2117 on: February 13, 2018, 02:23:06 AM »
We have two large bags on chocolate covered coffee beans (gifts). Any ideas? I've seen recipes where they are used as choc chips but coffee beans are so hard?? I'm thinking I grind them down then use as coffee powder in the cafetiere or cake type thing?

PoutineLover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2118 on: February 13, 2018, 07:12:09 AM »
We have two large bags on chocolate covered coffee beans (gifts). Any ideas? I've seen recipes where they are used as choc chips but coffee beans are so hard?? I'm thinking I grind them down then use as coffee powder in the cafetiere or cake type thing?
Eat them. Yummmm. I'll eat them for you if you want.

superhappyfaced

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2119 on: February 15, 2018, 02:44:02 PM »

i bet you could grind some down and make mocha muffins (this recipe calls for chocolate chips and ground coffee - i think it would work!): http://www.isachandra.com/2008/10/mocha-chip-muffins/

jkitiara

• Stubble
« Reply #2120 on: February 16, 2018, 09:08:08 PM »

Honestly, I've always just bought a can of puree in the first place, so I'm not sure. I think the puree is a little more cooked down than the diced/chopped ones. Maybe someone else here has more experience with tomato substitutions...

@Dollar Slice BTW I just threw the tomatoes in a food processor and it worked like a charm. The soup came out delicious! THanks for the tip.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2121 on: February 16, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
-I ate my son's leftovers as my breakfast this morning, avoiding waste
-Defrosted a container of chicken curry from the freezer. I had one for lunch, and will have the rest tomorrow
-Served the curry with edamame, which I've been trying to eat up (freezer)

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2122 on: February 17, 2018, 06:24:37 AM »
Last night for dinner, I made Chipotle style salads!! We've done this before but last night it was not what I had planned.  I planned fried rice but forgot to make the rice the night before.  Since I was out all day and got home latter than planned I couldn't stick to the meal plan of fried rice.  So I used the 2 pork chops that I pulled from the freezer (originally for fried rice), a can of black beans that I doctored up with onions, garlic & spices, a pre-cooked pouch of brown rice (we don't even have a microwave so I warmed it on the stove top), jarred salsa, the end of a red onion that was in the fridge, a tomato, shredded cheese, an avocado, dregs of a bottle of hot sauce, dregs of a container of sour cleam, baby greens and the end of a bag of tortilla chips.  So delicious, cheap, used up the ends of lots of things, and just as good as a take out salad from Chipotle at a fraction of the cost. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:00:09 AM by CutTheFat »