Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 232548 times)

SimpleCycle

• Stubble
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1800 on: July 12, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »
For dinner tonight:

Opened fridge wine
Old fridge hot dog
Spinach salad with old parmesan remnants and blue cheese dressing (my kid's dressing but he's out of town so I'm using it up)

Tres fancy

LOL, I love it.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1801 on: July 13, 2017, 02:34:43 AM »
After my summer vacation I need to find some different ways to use up 2,5 pack of oats. I have started eating them for breakfast, but that is not my favorite breakfast and a lot of work including cooking.

I am thinking of:
- cake bottom -> cheese cake
- oatmeal cookies
- maybe some type of bread
- use in waffles instead of flour

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1802 on: July 13, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
After my summer vacation I need to find some different ways to use up 2,5 pack of oats. I have started eating them for breakfast, but that is not my favorite breakfast and a lot of work including cooking.

I am thinking of:
- oatmeal cookies

My favorite type of cookie uses oatmeal, and you don't need to use your oven. 
I'm also a big fan of overnight oats because I'm too lazy to cook oats in the morning.  Or a baked oatmeal. 

We've started to acquire too much stuff in our pantry, but we've managed to keep our freezer clean.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1803 on: July 14, 2017, 12:44:54 AM »

I am thinking of:
- oatmeal cookies

My favorite type of cookie uses oatmeal, and you don't need to use your oven. 
I'm also a big fan of overnight oats because I'm too lazy to cook oats in the morning.  Or a baked oatmeal. 

We've started to acquire too much stuff in our pantry, but we've managed to keep our freezer clean.

Thanks. I have tried overnight oats before, but only with yoghurt. I'll try it with other ingredients now.
I also like the oven baked idea.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1804 on: July 14, 2017, 06:32:13 AM »

I am thinking of:
- oatmeal cookies

I substitute 1/2 cup of oats for 1/2 cup flour in baking bread. (1/2 cup is approx. 120 ml)

I also use cooked oats as a binder in bean burgers.

I mix a small amount in with yogurt and fruit instead of granola - this works when you just want a little crunch with you fruit and yogurt, not when you're really seeking granola for itself...

Or just make granola. Base of oats, add a sweetener and spice if you like, plus some nuts. Stir in dried fruit if you like, but only after baking.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:34:14 AM by Rural »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1805 on: July 14, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »
A couple weeks ago I saved the liquid from a couple jars of tomatoes, and was about to throw it out since I hadn't found a use for it (in the winter it would be easy because soup), but it worked great in the lamb and butternut squash curry we had tonight.

I think I'm now down to just one can of coconut milk, so coconut curries about about to be off the menu until I get some other ingredients moved out of here.  I do have coconut flakes still and must puree those into a milk before buying any more of the canned stuff.

The spaghetti squash purchased from a little organic farm last fall is finally used up.  Man, that stuff keeps for ages.

Despite the heat, I ate my canned soups for lunch at work the last two days.

For anyone trying to use up red lentils, a tip I heard the other day, but haven't tried yet, is to saute them in a pan with a little bit of oil prior to cooking.  This will keep them from turning to mush so easily.  I still have lots of red lentils and need to give this a try because the mush factor does stop me from making them.

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #1806 on: July 16, 2017, 03:04:02 PM »
Grains and beans - Farro, couscous, lentils, black and red beans (dry), chia seeds, rice, quinoa, tinned baked beans x 5 2, garbanzo beans x 1, 1lb pinto beans x 1, chili hot beans x 1.

Other tinned : sliced mushroom x 1, tomato paste x 1, cream of mushroom soup, beef broth x2 (has to be for DH - i am pescatarian), tomato sauce x 1, vegetable noodle soup x 1 and vegetable soup concentrate x 1, sardines x 1, kippers x 1. mackerel x 1 and tuna x 1.

Pasta : Lasagna x 2 1/2, chow mein noodles x 1spaghetti x 1/, 2, macaroni 3/4 box.

Other : veg broth, white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, apple cider, chutney x 2, ketchup, maple syrup, Worcestershire, sweet and sour x 1 and 2 1/2 tubs of parm?? idk. Veg oil, olive oil, flour, corn starch and baking powder, oatmeal and instant, thai coconut curry sauce x 1, raisins, 15 packs of mushroom and onion powder mix.

I have spared you the jam debacle and nutella and PB. I also have most spices - I grow as many as I can. I also have a good collection of frozen veg, esp peas.

Ideas and Thank-you!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:06:06 PM by SAfAmBrit »

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1807 on: July 17, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
The last of the rice vermicelli packet is in my lunch today.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1808 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:52 PM »
I am going on vacation in 2.5 weeks and would like to get the refrigerator and freezer eaten down as far as possible. I am currently eating my way through a couple of big batches of leftovers. Yesterday--finished the ice cream bars :).  Today, stretched a cup of flavored yogurt I didn't like much by mixing it with plain and topping it with granola and dried cherries.