Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 258471 times)

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1800 on: July 14, 2017, 12:44:54 AM »
After my summer vacation I need to find some different ways to use up 2,5 pack of oats. I have started eating them for breakfast, but that is not my favorite breakfast and a lot of work including cooking.

I am thinking of:
- cake bottom -> cheese cake
- oatmeal cookies
- maybe some type of bread
- use in waffles instead of flour

My favorite type of cookie uses oatmeal, and you don't need to use your oven. 
I'm also a big fan of overnight oats because I'm too lazy to cook oats in the morning.  Or a baked oatmeal. 

We've started to acquire too much stuff in our pantry, but we've managed to keep our freezer clean.

Thanks. I have tried overnight oats before, but only with yoghurt. I'll try it with other ingredients now.
I also like the oven baked idea.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1801 on: July 14, 2017, 06:32:13 AM »
After my summer vacation I need to find some different ways to use up 2,5 pack of oats. I have started eating them for breakfast, but that is not my favorite breakfast and a lot of work including cooking.

I am thinking of:
- cake bottom -> cheese cake
- oatmeal cookies
- maybe some type of bread
- use in waffles instead of flour

I substitute 1/2 cup of oats for 1/2 cup flour in baking bread. (1/2 cup is approx. 120 ml)

I also use cooked oats as a binder in bean burgers.

I mix a small amount in with yogurt and fruit instead of granola - this works when you just want a little crunch with you fruit and yogurt, not when you're really seeking granola for itself...

Or just make granola. Base of oats, add a sweetener and spice if you like, plus some nuts. Stir in dried fruit if you like, but only after baking.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:34:14 AM by Rural »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1802 on: July 14, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »
A couple weeks ago I saved the liquid from a couple jars of tomatoes, and was about to throw it out since I hadn't found a use for it (in the winter it would be easy because soup), but it worked great in the lamb and butternut squash curry we had tonight.

I think I'm now down to just one can of coconut milk, so coconut curries about about to be off the menu until I get some other ingredients moved out of here.  I do have coconut flakes still and must puree those into a milk before buying any more of the canned stuff.

The spaghetti squash purchased from a little organic farm last fall is finally used up.  Man, that stuff keeps for ages.

Despite the heat, I ate my canned soups for lunch at work the last two days.

For anyone trying to use up red lentils, a tip I heard the other day, but haven't tried yet, is to saute them in a pan with a little bit of oil prior to cooking.  This will keep them from turning to mush so easily.  I still have lots of red lentils and need to give this a try because the mush factor does stop me from making them.

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #1803 on: July 16, 2017, 03:04:02 PM »
Grains and beans - Farro, couscous, lentils, black and red beans (dry), chia seeds, rice, quinoa, tinned baked beans x 5 2, garbanzo beans x 1, 1lb pinto beans x 1, chili hot beans x 1.

Other tinned : sliced mushroom x 1, tomato paste x 1, cream of mushroom soup, beef broth x2 (has to be for DH - i am pescatarian), tomato sauce x 1, vegetable noodle soup x 1 and vegetable soup concentrate x 1, sardines x 1, kippers x 1. mackerel x 1 and tuna x 1.

Pasta : Lasagna x 2 1/2, chow mein noodles x 1spaghetti x 1/, 2, macaroni 3/4 box.

Other : veg broth, white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, apple cider, chutney x 2, ketchup, maple syrup, Worcestershire, sweet and sour x 1 and 2 1/2 tubs of parm?? idk. Veg oil, olive oil, flour, corn starch and baking powder, oatmeal and instant, thai coconut curry sauce x 1, raisins, 15 packs of mushroom and onion powder mix.

I have spared you the jam debacle and nutella and PB. I also have most spices - I grow as many as I can. I also have a good collection of frozen veg, esp peas.

Ideas and Thank-you!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:06:06 PM by SAfAmBrit »

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1804 on: July 17, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
The last of the rice vermicelli packet is in my lunch today.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1805 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:52 PM »
I am going on vacation in 2.5 weeks and would like to get the refrigerator and freezer eaten down as far as possible. I am currently eating my way through a couple of big batches of leftovers. Yesterday--finished the ice cream bars :).  Today, stretched a cup of flavored yogurt I didn't like much by mixing it with plain and topping it with granola and dried cherries.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1806 on: July 23, 2017, 09:03:33 AM »
Finished almost all of the leftovers. This week I focused on using up stuff instead of trying new recipes. Out of three attempts, two went well and one was fine: made a new chocolate banana bread recipe to clear out some bananas I had originally bought for a visiting niece. The bread was excellent, but no more so than my other banana bread recipe, which involves one less step and half as many dishes. Topped a frozen cheese pizza (also bought as niece food) with some bits and pieces hanging around the fridge and cleared out some nearly finished jars of jalapenos and roasted peppers. Also improvised a pasta bake with some leftover cheese sauce that turned out a bit on the dry and bland side. It would have been fine if I had just had the pasta and sauce instead of trying to turn it into a casserole. Today's project is a huge salad with lots of bits and pieces.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1807 on: July 23, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »
I made potato salad used up an elderly jar of Gray Poupon that's been in the fridge for way too long.

Made beans last week using up one of my canisters.  Put another dent in the white beans making a bean salad yesterday.

The last of my 2016 frozen pesto went into a casserole for dinner on Thursday night. 

We also did homemade tortillas last week and nearly finished off the canister of masa harina.

Made apple butter muffins to bring to work last week since I made a bunch of apple butter, but we don't eat toast, so don't get many chances to use it.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1808 on: July 29, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
I've been going through the pantry weekly or so and finding whatever items I can throw into a rice or pasta dish. This is what I came up with today.

I had a tiny bit of brown rice left and a bunch of white rice, so I made the brown first in the rice cooker and then the white, cooking together with a beef bullion cube and a handful of sun-dried tomatoes that finished off an old bag of those. When the rice was done, I crushed up what was left of an old bag of dried kale chips, shredded some chili-lime beef jerky past its prime and added a few pinches of dried onion flakes. I mixed it with a bottle of German dressing now no longer haunting the fridge and it turned out pretty nicely. It tastes like a good dirty-rice.

4:00 pm - So I had too much dressing for what I made but want to finish this bottle off, so I am making an additional cup of rice , plus I chopped up the cucuzza squash from the farmer's market last week to add. This should make plenty to cover dinner or lunch all next week.

It was really nice being able to make all this in the rice cooker and not have to turn on the stove or oven. My small house doesn't have central AC and just has a single window unit, so anything I can do to avoid heating up the kitchen is bonus.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:30:22 PM by MVal »
Proverbs 13:4
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is made fat.

Proverbs 13:11
Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, but the one who gathers by labor increases it.

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGp3WGH/savings.png

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1809 on: August 07, 2017, 12:45:58 AM »
Finally we made some longer hiking trips during this summer vacation and we ate most of the home made bags of dried food that had filled up the freezer. One challenge with that is that I dry the ingredients separately and just add them together in a bag with spices. But I cannot taste it before it is rehydrated on a trip. So it is smart to bring a lot of extra spices just in case.
This winter I might make some new batches for the coming summer. Maybe not so many this time. I should also do it when there are cheap veggies available.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1810 on: September 06, 2017, 04:08:32 AM »
Finished off some odds and ends:
A tiny pack of cereal from my hospital stay.
The last little bit of a block of cheddar.
The last few crackers in a packet.

I'm focusing on finishing off the random things we have just a little of, but will keep buying the foods we consistently eat in a timely fashion.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1811 on: September 06, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
Thanks for bumping this thread.  I was looking for it the other day, but got distracted before I looked very far.

This weekend I emptied out quite a few of our glass storage canisters.  I'm cheating a bit in that I am feeding the flax and chia seeds to the horses, and have started cooking batches of chickpeas and white beans for the chickens.  The white beans wouldn't cook evenly (old?) and I decided I just don't really like chickpeas, so out they go.

Very close to being done with the whey protein powder.  I mixed in some gelatin I've also been trying to use up.

Still have lots of red lentils, and will make a tomato dahl with them tonight.

Used a bit of the red rooibos tea I don't care for in a couple big batches of kombucha.

Rice also needs to be on the menu; I grabbed a deal on 10# bags of white rice about a year ago and we're only getting close to finishing the first bag. 

Going forward, the pantry is going to be much simpler.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1812 on: September 11, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
Made a smoothie this morning to use up a soft banana.

Used up the last of a pasta dish by bulking it out with broccoli for lunch.

Sliced and froze a lime to throw in drinks (hello, rum and Coke).

Froze some shaved turkey. My husband, in his infinite wisdom, bought half a kilo of it for his salads, then went overseas for 10 nights. >.<

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1813 on: September 12, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »
Bought a 5 lb box of mushrooms so now I get to eat them all this week. I like this part of the challenge. 

It is made more difficult by my current living situation.  I have a microwave, a pressure cooker, and a freezer.  I'll be here 8 weeks, then traveling abroad.

I bought a mini fridge but it doesn't fit the space, so I'll need to order one.

I put the mushrooms in a cooler with some icepacks and have been eating some raw.  I picked up some beef broth and barley and will make up a very mushroomy soup. mmhmmm.

Verdure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1814 on: September 12, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »
Bought a 5 lb box of mushrooms so now I get to eat them all this week. I like this part of the challenge. 

It is made more difficult by my current living situation.  I have a microwave, a pressure cooker, and a freezer.  I'll be here 8 weeks, then traveling abroad.

Mushroom soup, yum! 

Is the pressure cooker an Instant Pot type deal which you could use to saute mushrooms?  If so, I would probably saute a bunch to use in sandwiches and for making microwave mini-quiches

lexde

• Bristles
« Reply #1815 on: September 12, 2017, 12:35:51 PM »
We did this semi-successfully. On day 3 of no power (hurricane) so we ate 90% of our food and had to discard the rest. Discarding was disappointing but it was much better than most people I know who had to toss hundreds of dollars worth of food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1816 on: September 14, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »

Mushroom soup, yum! 

Is the pressure cooker an Instant Pot type deal which you could use to saute mushrooms?  If so, I would probably saute a bunch to use in sandwiches and for making microwave mini-quiches

Microwave quiche sounds like a lovely idea.

Yes, my pressure cooker is an instant pot.  I've been making good use of the saute feature.  I'm figuring I'll also be able to fry eggs or a sandwich in it, though it might not be the most convenient it's nice to have that option without another appliance. 

Tonight I made lentil taco/nachos.

Also, forgot I have a bread machine.  I wanted to try out a quick bread as they are staples in my lunch packing, but I have no eggs, so I made a wacky cake and it turned out lovely.  I'm already making a dinner party menu; yeast bread, corn bread, layer cake (just to show off) and a nice vegetarian chili with a big salad, fresh fruit and maybe a rice pilaf.  I can handle that with my few appliances and limited refrigeration if I plan ahead.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1817 on: September 14, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »
PMG, that's an impressive dinner menu with your limited kitchen.  I think with some of the mushrooms, I might saute in some oil and then freeze in chunks to use later.  I like mushrooms, but that is a lot of mushrooms!

Lexde, hope your power is back on now and you're unscathed by the hurricane.

We're enjoying a sudden 20+ degree drop in temperatures, so soup is back on the menu, which makes using things up so, so much easier.  I just put together a soup to slow-cook tomorrow in the Instant Pot using the last of a canister of lentils (only the reds left, yay!) some kale I picked last week but didn't get around to using, and the last of a bag of bacon ends and pieces from the freezer, as well as several plum tomatoes that had ripened too much for canning.  Of course the base is homemade stock from last week's whole roasted chicken. ;)

Hula Hoop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1818 on: September 16, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
I just cleaned out the cupboard and found dried chickpeas, lentils and farro that all need to be eaten.  Now that summer is over, it might be time to break out the ancient pressure cooker again to cook these.  I'll probably make a lentil soup tomorrow to eat during the week for lunch and maybe some kind of quick bread.  But I always have issues with cooking dried chick peas.  I've had success in the past with falafel but does anyone have any other suggestion for dried chickpeas?  How about farro?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:30:07 PM by Hula Hoop »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1820 on: September 16, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »
You can use farro like you'd use brown rice, mostly. I prefer farro to rice most of the time (but don't cook it much because it's relatively expensive).

I have made minestrone soup using chickpeas and farro (in place of the usual beans/pasta) and it comes out great.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1821 on: September 16, 2017, 11:11:52 PM »
I like to use farro as a grain in my salads.  I use quinoa too.  It's a nice way to get a lot of leafy greens and a bit of carbs in at lunch.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1822 on: September 17, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
Finished off our rolled oats and some bread flour as part of a quiche crust (spinach, peameal bacon, cheddar). 

Made braised tamarind beef for the freezer with the 50% off stewing beef.  We are slowly working towards the end of the tamarind paste.  I added a bit of water to the container to help it dissolve more easily into the next recipe and be less difficult to decant.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1823 on: September 17, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
We have unconsciously filled up the meat freezer again, so since Friday I write on my shopping list that I shouldn't buy more meat.

I have also been doing the opposite of emptying the house, and filled up the house with dried and frozen mushrooms. Free food from the forest. But it starts to get large quantities and I still have some dried Cantharellus Tubaformis left from last year. I am starting to use them more often in food.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1824 on: September 17, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »
Made this tonight.  Tasty way to use some random veggies.
 Ours had celery, carrots, peppers and shallot. 
http://www.indianveggiedelight.com/category/biryani-recipes/

I also totally bastardized this recipe because I was set on making it, then discovered that all my fig preserves were used up.  I used two small jars of "compote" I canned last year from who knows what sort of fruits, and cut up some prunes I dried from free plums last summer, and used almonds instead of pecans.  To my surprise, it still came out really good.  Will have happy coworkers tomorrow, even though I didn't make the frosting. 
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018919-fresh-fig-cake-with-honey-cream-cheese-frosting?action=click&module=Global%20Search%20Recipe%20Card&pgType=search&rank=3