Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1183435 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1800 on: September 06, 2017, 04:08:32 AM »
Finished off some odds and ends:
A tiny pack of cereal from my hospital stay.
The last little bit of a block of cheddar.
The last few crackers in a packet.

I'm focusing on finishing off the random things we have just a little of, but will keep buying the foods we consistently eat in a timely fashion.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1801 on: September 06, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
Thanks for bumping this thread.  I was looking for it the other day, but got distracted before I looked very far.

This weekend I emptied out quite a few of our glass storage canisters.  I'm cheating a bit in that I am feeding the flax and chia seeds to the horses, and have started cooking batches of chickpeas and white beans for the chickens.  The white beans wouldn't cook evenly (old?) and I decided I just don't really like chickpeas, so out they go.

Very close to being done with the whey protein powder.  I mixed in some gelatin I've also been trying to use up.

Still have lots of red lentils, and will make a tomato dahl with them tonight.

Used a bit of the red rooibos tea I don't care for in a couple big batches of kombucha.

Rice also needs to be on the menu; I grabbed a deal on 10# bags of white rice about a year ago and we're only getting close to finishing the first bag. 

Going forward, the pantry is going to be much simpler.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1802 on: September 11, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
Made a smoothie this morning to use up a soft banana.

Used up the last of a pasta dish by bulking it out with broccoli for lunch.

Sliced and froze a lime to throw in drinks (hello, rum and Coke).

Froze some shaved turkey. My husband, in his infinite wisdom, bought half a kilo of it for his salads, then went overseas for 10 nights. >.<

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1803 on: September 12, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »
Bought a 5 lb box of mushrooms so now I get to eat them all this week. I like this part of the challenge. 

It is made more difficult by my current living situation.  I have a microwave, a pressure cooker, and a freezer.  I'll be here 8 weeks, then traveling abroad.

I bought a mini fridge but it doesn't fit the space, so I'll need to order one.

I put the mushrooms in a cooler with some icepacks and have been eating some raw.  I picked up some beef broth and barley and will make up a very mushroomy soup. mmhmmm.

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #1804 on: September 12, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »
Bought a 5 lb box of mushrooms so now I get to eat them all this week. I like this part of the challenge. 

It is made more difficult by my current living situation.  I have a microwave, a pressure cooker, and a freezer.  I'll be here 8 weeks, then traveling abroad.

Mushroom soup, yum! 

Is the pressure cooker an Instant Pot type deal which you could use to saute mushrooms?  If so, I would probably saute a bunch to use in sandwiches and for making microwave mini-quiches

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1805 on: September 12, 2017, 12:35:51 PM »
We did this semi-successfully. On day 3 of no power (hurricane) so we ate 90% of our food and had to discard the rest. Discarding was disappointing but it was much better than most people I know who had to toss hundreds of dollars worth of food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1806 on: September 14, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »

Mushroom soup, yum! 

Is the pressure cooker an Instant Pot type deal which you could use to saute mushrooms?  If so, I would probably saute a bunch to use in sandwiches and for making microwave mini-quiches

Microwave quiche sounds like a lovely idea.

Yes, my pressure cooker is an instant pot.  I've been making good use of the saute feature.  I'm figuring I'll also be able to fry eggs or a sandwich in it, though it might not be the most convenient it's nice to have that option without another appliance. 

Tonight I made lentil taco/nachos.

Also, forgot I have a bread machine.  I wanted to try out a quick bread as they are staples in my lunch packing, but I have no eggs, so I made a wacky cake and it turned out lovely.  I'm already making a dinner party menu; yeast bread, corn bread, layer cake (just to show off) and a nice vegetarian chili with a big salad, fresh fruit and maybe a rice pilaf.  I can handle that with my few appliances and limited refrigeration if I plan ahead.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1807 on: September 14, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »
PMG, that's an impressive dinner menu with your limited kitchen.  I think with some of the mushrooms, I might saute in some oil and then freeze in chunks to use later.  I like mushrooms, but that is a lot of mushrooms!

Lexde, hope your power is back on now and you're unscathed by the hurricane.

We're enjoying a sudden 20+ degree drop in temperatures, so soup is back on the menu, which makes using things up so, so much easier.  I just put together a soup to slow-cook tomorrow in the Instant Pot using the last of a canister of lentils (only the reds left, yay!) some kale I picked last week but didn't get around to using, and the last of a bag of bacon ends and pieces from the freezer, as well as several plum tomatoes that had ripened too much for canning.  Of course the base is homemade stock from last week's whole roasted chicken. ;)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1808 on: September 16, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
I just cleaned out the cupboard and found dried chickpeas, lentils and farro that all need to be eaten.  Now that summer is over, it might be time to break out the ancient pressure cooker again to cook these.  I'll probably make a lentil soup tomorrow to eat during the week for lunch and maybe some kind of quick bread.  But I always have issues with cooking dried chick peas.  I've had success in the past with falafel but does anyone have any other suggestion for dried chickpeas?  How about farro?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:30:07 PM by Hula Hoop »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1810 on: September 16, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »
You can use farro like you'd use brown rice, mostly. I prefer farro to rice most of the time (but don't cook it much because it's relatively expensive).

I have made minestrone soup using chickpeas and farro (in place of the usual beans/pasta) and it comes out great.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1811 on: September 16, 2017, 11:11:52 PM »
I like to use farro as a grain in my salads.  I use quinoa too.  It's a nice way to get a lot of leafy greens and a bit of carbs in at lunch.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1812 on: September 17, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
Finished off our rolled oats and some bread flour as part of a quiche crust (spinach, peameal bacon, cheddar). 

Made braised tamarind beef for the freezer with the 50% off stewing beef.  We are slowly working towards the end of the tamarind paste.  I added a bit of water to the container to help it dissolve more easily into the next recipe and be less difficult to decant.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1813 on: September 17, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
We have unconsciously filled up the meat freezer again, so since Friday I write on my shopping list that I shouldn't buy more meat.

I have also been doing the opposite of emptying the house, and filled up the house with dried and frozen mushrooms. Free food from the forest. But it starts to get large quantities and I still have some dried Cantharellus Tubaformis left from last year. I am starting to use them more often in food.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1814 on: September 17, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »
Made this tonight.  Tasty way to use some random veggies.
 Ours had celery, carrots, peppers and shallot. 
http://www.indianveggiedelight.com/category/biryani-recipes/

I also totally bastardized this recipe because I was set on making it, then discovered that all my fig preserves were used up.  I used two small jars of "compote" I canned last year from who knows what sort of fruits, and cut up some prunes I dried from free plums last summer, and used almonds instead of pecans.  To my surprise, it still came out really good.  Will have happy coworkers tomorrow, even though I didn't make the frosting. 
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018919-fresh-fig-cake-with-honey-cream-cheese-frosting?action=click&module=Global%20Search%20Recipe%20Card&pgType=search&rank=3

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1815 on: September 24, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
I haven't checked in here in a while.  Made peach berry crisp with fruit from the freezer and it was delicious.

My wife is away this week so I'll be doing use it up meals all week.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1816 on: September 25, 2017, 01:27:04 AM »
Yesterday I made waffles and put in some of the over best before date oats that I have 2 bags of.

I thawed a piece of trout that my DH caught in August and treated with salt, sugar and dill. We'll be eating it this week. It is mostly for on toast, but we'll improvise it into some form of dinner. Maybe toast with green salad.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1817 on: September 25, 2017, 07:59:21 AM »
I have also been doing the opposite of emptying the house, and filled up the house with dried and frozen mushrooms. Free food from the forest. But it starts to get large quantities and I still have some dried Cantharellus Tubaformis left from last year. I am starting to use them more often in food.

I am doing something similar - trying to fill up the freezer with ingredients while they are cheap so that we can eat out of it over the winter.  Roasted tomato, roasted peppers, roasted cauliflower.

I opened the final jar of 2016 apple sauce Saturday. We will be going picking this coming weekend, so I feel that I managed that supply perfectly.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1818 on: October 04, 2017, 01:41:53 PM »
I've returned after being gone for 4 months.  We successfully moved into our house.  I've carefully restocked certain items and discovered over the summer I spent $200 more per month in groceries than I had been prior to the move.  Granted, that includes our July open house and another party last month, but still.  It's time to cut back.

Last night I made my own pizza sauce using a can of tomato paste from the pantry.  I made a low carb pizza crust which used up the rest of the mozzarella and cream cheese.

Tonight I'll use the rest of the bagged spinach in a beef and spinach stir fry.

Tomorrow I'll use up some condiments by putting them into the Crock Pot with pork ribs.

Monday's snack here at the office were a strange mix of mini fridge leftovers:  Green beans, a few slices pepperoni, and a Babybel Gouda, warmed up in the microwave.  Not too shabby.

We have used up 2 bags of leftover buns we tossed in the freezer after July's open house.  One bag DH used as sandwiches.  Another I sliced open, slathered on butter and shredded cheese to make cheese toast a la Sizzler.  DH loves that stuff, LOL.

There were some leftover bagged pork cracklings DH said I could make into cornbread.  I haven't restocked corn meal, so I declined.  No buying groceries until payday unless it's produce.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1819 on: October 04, 2017, 06:14:11 PM »
I'd love that low carb pizza crust recipe if you're willing to share!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1820 on: October 05, 2017, 01:49:49 AM »
We are doing well by eating the meat out of the freezer. We still have one side of self-caught trout and 2 large pieces of meat and several bags of minced meat. That last thing is practical to have anyway as you can thaw it in the microwave and use it immediately for dinner.
The big chunk of meat should be prepared somewhere during a weekend. Than we can eat from it for several days.

I made the mistake of buying a bit too many veggies. I hope we will manage to eat them before they expire. I'd forgotten that we were going away for the weekend.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1821 on: October 05, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »
I opened the final jar of 2016 apple sauce Saturday. We will be going picking this coming weekend, so I feel that I managed that supply perfectly.

I returned my jars this weekend and came home with 3 more pints to finish before the 2017 batch is made later this month.

You know that thing where you decide you are going to finish a product, and then you discover all the things you like making with it, so you consider buying it again? That is where I am with miso paste.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1822 on: October 08, 2017, 09:56:04 PM »
I was generously given an entire kosher beef salami. Any ideas to use that up? I live alone so it seems a bit overwhelming in terms of quantity, considering it's not something you eat in large portions.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #1823 on: October 08, 2017, 11:33:41 PM »
I was generously given an entire kosher beef salami. Any ideas to use that up? I live alone so it seems a bit overwhelming in terms of quantity, considering it's not something you eat in large portions.

Beef salami is something I buy occasionally, and I've found it freezes well. I cut it into portions that I'd be likely to use over a day or two, and just stick them in the freezer in a ziploc.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1824 on: October 09, 2017, 01:07:21 AM »
I am still in the process of filling up one freezer and one kitchen drawer with mushrooms. The forest is just so full with free food.
I have not needed to buy any mushrooms since september.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1825 on: October 09, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »
What would you do with the homemade pizza sauce that I've got in my freezer, when we've cut out flour and sugar and therefore pizza is no longer an option?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1826 on: October 09, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
What would you do with the homemade pizza sauce that I've got in my freezer, when we've cut out flour and sugar and therefore pizza is no longer an option?

I think you could sub it for tomato sauce in many recipes... stuffed zucchini/peppers/etc., chicken or eggplant parmesan. There's also some kind of "hot pizza dip" you can make with cheese and pizza sauce and... I don't know what else. I don't have a recipe for that one but I had it at someone's house.

@Cressida: What do you usually use the salami for? Just sandwiches, or... ?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1827 on: October 09, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »
I have heard about, but not made, pizzas with potato or cauliflower as the base. You might need to eat it with cutlery!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1828 on: October 09, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/hot-pizza-dip-2687
This would be great with toast, english muffins or pita bread. Gluten free, I’d make potato “chips” out of sliced potatoes crisped in the oven. It would also be good over spaghetti squash.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:41:49 PM by pbkmaine »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #1829 on: October 09, 2017, 10:59:20 PM »
@Cressida: What do you usually use the salami for? Just sandwiches, or... ?

Usually some variant of ploughman's lunch. Mine always includes fruit, which I think is not traditional, and often lacks pickle, which is. It's customizable, and a useful thing to make when you have the ingredients on hand and don't feel like cooking.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1830 on: October 10, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »
Coming in to report that I've used up the red lentils!  Last night I made an Indian feast of naan, butter chicken, red lentil dal and turmeric cauliflower rice with the last wee summer squash I rescued before first frost.  I learned a handy tip from a vegan coworker to saute the red lentils in some oil before adding liquid; it helps them keep some shape and texture.

Last leg of lamb has also been used, though there are still several packages of lamb and beef in the freezer to work through, and only about three weeks until this year's lambs are ready.

Now my problem is a literal wheelbarrow load of mostly green tomatoes.  I'm going to can some green tomato chutney, and already did 15 pints of salsa verde.  Will make fried green tomatoes weekly as long as they last and give some away, but some are still going to go to waste, I'm sure.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1831 on: October 10, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »
I have heard about, but not made, pizzas with potato or cauliflower as the base. You might need to eat it with cutlery!

Oof, we tried cauliflower crust this weekend. YUCK. :(

That pizza dip sounds pretty good!

horsepoor, you can put the green tomatoes in a paper bag with the top folded over, and often they'll ripen in your house that way. I just successfully saved a few big heirlooms whose vine snapped while the tomatoes were still green; it took a few weeks but they are now ripe and taste fine. I probably have a better than 50% success rate with this method - which is better than zero, I figure. (I don't like green tomatoes in any form so otherwise they'd just get tossed.)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1832 on: October 10, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
Coming in to report that I've used up the red lentils!  Last night I made an Indian feast of naan, butter chicken, red lentil dal and turmeric cauliflower rice with the last wee summer squash I rescued before first frost.  I learned a handy tip from a vegan coworker to saute the red lentils in some oil before adding liquid; it helps them keep some shape and texture.

Last leg of lamb has also been used, though there are still several packages of lamb and beef in the freezer to work through, and only about three weeks until this year's lambs are ready.

Now my problem is a literal wheelbarrow load of mostly green tomatoes.  I'm going to can some green tomato chutney, and already did 15 pints of salsa verde.  Will make fried green tomatoes weekly as long as they last and give some away, but some are still going to go to waste, I'm sure.

You can throw green tomatoes straight into the freezer in a bag, no blanching or anything. I pull them out whole to put in stews and the like.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1833 on: October 13, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
I have finished the container of bacon syrup in a final compote of cranberries and mango/peach/strawberry mixed fruit from the freezer. Spiced with nutmeg (thanks EF!), cinnamon & cardamon.

Finished the ancient bag of baby onions with this week's roast chicken.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1834 on: October 20, 2017, 12:57:49 PM »
I'd love that low carb pizza crust recipe if you're willing to share!

Tris, I am so sorry for the delay in response!  It's been a whirlwind month here at the office.

http://yourlighterside.com/2012/02/easy-pizza-crust/

For simplicity, I use canned chicken.  I've made several topping variations, including Alfredo, BBQ and traditional pepperoni.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #1835 on: October 21, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »
Still at it, as always...My mission for today was to make muffins to bring to a party tonight using only whatever goodies we already had in the house, so I made a batch of oatmeal muffins with cinnamon, dried cherries, and raisins which smelled divine when they were baking. I riffed off of this recipe: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/oatmeal_muffins_with_raisins_dates_and_walnuts/ They came out of the oven with flat, rather crackly tops and appear to be nice and moist. Hopefully they also taste good!

The next thing which we need to tackle is the high number of open jars / bottles in the door of the fridge - time to start roasting with harissa, making lots of different stir-fry sauces, and cooking with miso and bullion and mustard. This is generally pretty easy for us (I LOVE making up sauces) but the number of  bottles is getting a little daunting and we need to stop buying new things to try!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1836 on: October 22, 2017, 05:32:22 PM »
One week left before extensive travel.  I made a big batch of curry today with split peas, sweet potatoes and black beans. I've got enough to last the week and I have a meal or two out planned, so I shouldn't get bored.

I expect to use up my oatmeal too. 

I'm struggling over what to store and what to give away. It would be lovely to come home in 6 months and have a few staples.... but really?  Who packs up a half a pound of dried beans? And spices are best fresh, but are also the most expensive item, so perhaps worth saving, but then no longer fresh? ahhh!

My pantry:  8 eggs, pesto, yeast, soy sauce, diced garlic, black beans, 3 lbs rice, 1/2 pound barley, 4 oz coffee, 4 oz tea, 2 cups sugar, 1/4 sorghum, 12 jars of spices, 1/4 cup tapioca, cornstarch, cocoa, baking soda/powder, vinegar, peanut butter, 2 cans of soup, 3 bananas, 2 apples, 4 sweet potatoes, 2 cups oatmeal, 1 cup coconut oil, sea salt, 2 tbsp butter, 2 bottles of whiskey

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1837 on: October 22, 2017, 05:57:30 PM »
I'm making an effort to wade through some of pantry items we accumulated over winter.

Tomato soup for dinner last week (perfect with toasted sandwiches on a rainy Friday night), and have a couple more cans to go.

I'll make a batch of cereal with the dried coconut, chia seeds and oats.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1838 on: October 23, 2017, 06:47:18 AM »
The last of an ancient container of miso has been transformed into a dressing (miso, tahini, honey, sriracha, rice vinegar) for lunches this week.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1839 on: October 23, 2017, 12:56:22 PM »
YellowCat, those muffins sound delicious!  Plainjane, what a creative idea!

Except for buying Halloween party food, my goal is to stay out of the grocery store until next payday, Nov 15th.  I'll ask DH to buy fresh produce until then.  I'm sorry to say yesterday I tossed 5 sausage links and a boiled egg we didn't get to from our camping trip the weekend before.  And DH threw out the remaining bag of stale tortilla chips someone brought to our party last month.

A jar of homemade jalapeno jelly someone gave us will be poured over cream cheese for this Saturday's Halloween party.

To use fridge items, I did a search for the ingredients we have on hand.  Tonight I'm making stuffed zucchini:  https://www.google.com/search?q=jimmy+dean+stuffed+zucchini&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Tomorrow night I'm going to make enchiladas, but we have no tortillas.  Sticking with my no grocery shopping pledge, I'm going to try my hand at making low carb tortillas for the first time.  I'll report back, LOL.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1840 on: October 25, 2017, 11:21:38 PM »
Some threads never die, and thank God for that!  There's always someone somewhere with some random pantry item that needs to be used up!

Hi everyone, haven't been around for a bit, but I went to Camp Moustache Canada on the weekend and reconnected with some of my moustachian friends.  Now I'm eager to get back on track in the kitchen too!

Thanks to plainjane at a previous Toronto meet-up, I made two loafs of rye bread today, which finished up both my rye and whole wheat flours, and put a bit of a dent in what's left of an old package of dehydrated onion.  The flours will eventually get replaced, but I'll try to use up some more of my cornmeal and oatmeal before I do that.  Hopefully I can get a couple of loaves baked tomorrow too - I've actually got 3 bread machines, one on active duty and two more hand-me-down ones stored away against future breakage!  So I pulled one of the spares out and got two machines going at once.  One loaf has already been hacked into for a late night snack, the other will go in the freezer for future use - like when I'm really busy at work and haven't had a chance to get to the store in a while, it'll be nice to just pull a loaf out.

Speaking of which, my freezer continues to be pretty full, and my cupboards too, but my fridge is in really good shape at the moment, with just a couple of things left in there that should be targeted for extinction due to being on the old side. 

Will need to add more to this list later, but off the top of my head, here are a few things I should concentrate on using:

One-offs, small amounts, and oddities:  dry coconut, hard margarine (for baking), bottle of chocolate flavour meal replacement (free sample), bottle of fruit punch (given out at a work function), jar of chutney

Spices and flavourings:  dehydrated onion, maple and lemon flavour powders,

Pantry staples that need to keep circulating for flavour and freshness:  white flour, oatmeal, corn meal, white rice, brown rice, dried beans, olive oil, molasses

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1841 on: October 26, 2017, 12:09:58 AM »
Two packets of Cup a Soup (I think my husband bought them for his lunches then never touched them) and one tin of baked beans are gone.

Husband is away this weekend so this is a good chance to use up ingredients in a few creative dishes...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1842 on: October 26, 2017, 01:24:16 AM »
Two packets of Cup a Soup (I think my husband bought them for his lunches then never touched them) and one tin of baked beans are gone.

Husband is away this weekend so this is a good chance to use up ingredients in a few creative dishes...

Do I get a leave pass for having cup of soup now? Or are you going to keep telling me I should still learn how to cook it? :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1843 on: October 26, 2017, 05:09:00 AM »

Do I get a leave pass for having cup of soup now? Or are you going to keep telling me I should still learn how to cook it? :)

You’re the smartest person I know.

I still think you should know how to make soup.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1844 on: October 26, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »

[snip]

Tomorrow night I'm going to make enchiladas, but we have no tortillas.  Sticking with my no grocery shopping pledge, I'm going to try my hand at making low carb tortillas for the first time.  I'll report back, LOL.

I made the tortillas.  They come out a bit thick, and one pours the batter into the pan, rather than rolling it into balls, but they tasted okay.  Savings:  $4+ for not buying low carb tortillas and whatever else I would have purchased during the extra grocery trip!  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/232480/paleo-tortillas/

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1845 on: October 26, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »
A friend of ours whose family owns a potato farm outside the city just gave us a huge bag of really yummy potatoes plus a huge  bag of walnuts. 

So far, we've been putting walnuts on all our salads and eating walnuts as snacks.  Potatoes have been roasted and mashed and I'm planning shepherd's pie over the weekend. 

Does anyone else have some good potato and/or walnut recipes?

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1846 on: October 26, 2017, 11:17:14 PM »
A friend of ours whose family owns a potato farm outside the city just gave us a huge bag of really yummy potatoes plus a huge  bag of walnuts. 

So far, we've been putting walnuts on all our salads and eating walnuts as snacks.  Potatoes have been roasted and mashed and I'm planning shepherd's pie over the weekend. 

Does anyone else have some good potato and/or walnut recipes?

Someone on this site introduced me to Crash Hot Potatoes http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/ which are versatile in terms of what you add to them, and super delicious.  If you eat dairy, scalloped potatoes make a bit of a change from regular roasted and mashed.  Can dress it up with onions and other veggies, could probably also add ham or something to make it a one dish meal?  Which reminds me, I have a few very old potatoes in the fridge, and some newer ones, plus way too many onions.  Maybe I'm the one who should be making some fancy scalloped potatoes!

With the walnuts, you could make pesto.  I've never made it, but I understand it to be very easy...

Speaking of pesto, I have some bread in the bread maker(s) at the moment.  I spun off from a pesto bread recipe to try to guess at proportions, and used up a big handful of herbs from the garden in each loaf (just threw the leaves into the pan as is), along with some chopped garlic in oil, and olive oil left from a jar of sundried tomatoes.  Didn't want to lose that flavourful oil!  It's deconstructed pesto bread :-)  The recipe called for eggs, so I got to use some eggs I'd previously frozen when they were about to pass their best before date just before I went on vacation this summer.  Both loaves will get popped into the freezer when done, as emergency loaves for between shopping trips.  If I have bread, cereal, milk, hummous, cheese and even a little bit of fruit and veg in the house, I can usually survive for a couple of days!  My white flour is now running low, but I think I can probably get one more large loaf using white flour plus oatmeal or cornmeal (or both) before it runs out.  Luckily, it's a good time of year for re-stocking baking supplies.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1847 on: October 26, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »
...snip...

Speaking of pesto, I have some bread in the bread maker(s) at the moment.  I spun off from a pesto bread recipe to try to guess at proportions, and used up a big handful of herbs from the garden in each loaf (just threw the leaves into the pan as is), along with some chopped garlic in oil, and olive oil left from a jar of sundried tomatoes.  Didn't want to lose that flavourful oil!  It's deconstructed pesto bread :-)  The recipe called for eggs, so I got to use some eggs I'd previously frozen when they were about to pass their best before date just before I went on vacation this summer.  Both loaves will get popped into the freezer when done, as emergency loaves for between shopping trips.

Now that the bread is actually baking, I've come back to say that it might kill me not to eat some of it right away, as it smells soooo good!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1848 on: October 27, 2017, 01:54:24 AM »
I am planning on making the oatmeal muffins as described below. But I did a really bad thing for being in this thread: I went out and bought walnuts because I didn't have any left. But walnuts are a staple that I like to have in store. I will use oatmeal that has past the best before date.

Yesterday we ate a double portion of gulash that I made last weekend. What a luxury, eating a meal from the freezer. We had almost no dishes. Now we have only 1 portion of gulash left.
DH spent the night alone on Wednesday and made himself an improvised pizza of some homemade foccacia that we had in the freezer.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1849 on: October 27, 2017, 09:54:50 AM »
On a weird whim last year I bought a 25 lb bag of chia. I still have 24 lbs left. Presently I eat about 1tbsp per day in my oatmeal, meaning that unless I find other things to add it to, I should have enough chia for the next 8 years. It'll last, but it's still ridiculous.

Does anyone have tasty ideas for chia other than ubiquitous puddings?

I guess a Chia Pet* wouldn't be a helpful suggestion lol. 

*For those who don't know what a Chia Pet is, it's a clay figure (e.g., horse, dog, president's head) that you spread chia seeds on and water.  The seeds sprout and grow looking sorta like hair.