Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1183664 times)

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1250 on: February 03, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »
One more vote for turning the sesame seeds into tahini. That’s what I did with my surplus, and while it’s darker and more dense than commercial tahini (my recipe called for toasting the seeds first)  I’ve made some great hummus with it.

This week’s progress:
On a mission: chickpeas (made hummus and lemon-roasted garlic-chickpea soup, both excellent) and chlorella tablets (which had lived in my desk drawer waiting to be devoured as a healthy snack . . . right). These will both take a while to work my way through, but I got a good start this week.

Gone, baby, gone: the meat-spinach muffins that used up surplus taco bake, which in turn had used up surplus ground beef. The muffins were . . . acceptable, LOL. I finally ate the last one yesterday! Also finished up frozen lamb stock, which I mixed half and half with chicken stock in the chickpea soup.

Up for this weekend: making soup from two winter squashes my brother gave us during the holidays.

Any suggestions for frozen okra? I bought it to make gumbo then never got around to it. I’m thinking maybe Alton Brown’s fried okra recipe.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1251 on: February 03, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »
Wow, you guys are awesome! 

I should probably have mentioned that I'm vegetarian, so some of the suggestions won't work for me.  But maybe someone else also has a package of sesame seeds in their cupboards, and will benefit.

I'm wondering, if I do make tahini, how long does is last for?  It's just me here, and I already have a container of store bought hummous in the fridge.  (Also - the blender I got for my birthday 1.5 years ago is still in the box.  Which should tell you how often I make things like that...)

I also appreciate the suggestion of pre-roasting the seeds, so they're ready to add to all kinds of things, and the suggestion to freeze them.  Especially helpful since I realized I already had half a package of sesame seeds at home (tucked away in the fridge).

And oh, the lemon-roasted garlic-chickpea soup sounds great!  Made me think of a Lebanese lemon lentil soup I used to buy at a soup and sandwich place near a job, oh, 20 years ago.  I think I will use the lentils, along with the last bit of a bag of spinach I'd stuffed in the freezer, and some of my 10 lbs of onion, etc, to make something like that next week.  (I already have a couple of ready meals in the fridge to eat first.)

In other news, I had 2 single tea bags kicking around from years ago.  One was the last of a box of chocolate mint flavoured black tea that I'd bought.  The other some foreign (i.e. couldn't read anything on the label) but obviously bubble gum flavoured tea that someone sent me in a care package.

I tried the bubble gum stuff.  Which seemed to be bubble gum mint, or some equally strange tasting combination.  Not good.  I poured it out, and am drinking the chocolate mint right now instead.  Not my favourite, but hot and wet and not absolutely disgusting.  (Next up on the hit list - two hot chocolate packages from the same era!)

And did I also post about getting rid of the odd and old jar of jam earlier this week?  It was so hard and disgusting it was hard to get out of the jar.  I found several other odd and old preserves that people had given me, that either just weren't to my taste or that I doubted the safety of.  So a little extra room on my fridge door.  (Next up on the hit list - some old maraschino cherries, that I can use on the odd occasion I'm having a drink at home - I'll have brown cow with cherries, rather than a glass of wine - added bonus of using up some old liquor!)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1252 on: February 03, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »
I currently have barley in the pressure cooker and onions and mushrooms sautéing on the stove. I'm making a bit of beef broth gravy and will serve it over it.

The barley has been hanging out in my fridge for more than two years. Now the only ingredients that old are about 2 tbsp of peanut butter (in the fridge, I only use it for baking) and some sea salt. No need to rush the salt consumption.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1253 on: February 03, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
I tried the bubble gum stuff.  Which seemed to be bubble gum mint, or some equally strange tasting combination.
*Shudders*

Opps, sorry forgot about you being vegetarian, PJ. The chicken recipe would probably be relly good over tofu too...

I'm not sure if we have enough veggies to keep us from going to the store over the weekend, but we might try and see if we can stretch it out. Nothing like heavy snow and wind blowing everything sideways to make you not want to leave the house!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1254 on: February 03, 2017, 11:39:55 PM »
I tried the bubble gum stuff.  Which seemed to be bubble gum mint, or some equally strange tasting combination.
*Shudders*

Opps, sorry forgot about you being vegetarian, PJ. The chicken recipe would probably be relly good over tofu too...

I'm not sure if we have enough veggies to keep us from going to the store over the weekend, but we might try and see if we can stretch it out. Nothing like heavy snow and wind blowing everything sideways to make you not want to leave the house!

LOL!  Yes, I took one sip, then poured it out.  I knew it was bubblegum something - the picture on the wrapper made that obvious.  But I was thinking like a "dessert tea," black tea plus berry flavour, or black tea with cinnamon.  But honestly, it was pretty foul!

And yes, I was thinking that a couple of the meat plus sauce plus sesame seed recipes would probably work with tofu substituted.  Don't think I have any on hand at the moment, but I think I'll check the prices when I grocery shop next.  Though it would defeat the purpose of Eat All The Food participation if I start buying things like tofu just to use up things like sesame seeds!

(Oh, and by the way - I wouldn't have expected you to remember that I'm veg!  But what a sweet response!  Stay warm!)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1255 on: February 04, 2017, 05:09:37 AM »
PJ, I sprinkle sesame seeds on dinner omlettes (usually seasoned with a little soy sauce, served with steamed veges and rice), on roast veges, and yes, on tofu. Yum.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1256 on: February 04, 2017, 08:55:16 AM »
I made granola at the weekend and used part of a bottle of honey that had been in a plastic bottle with a cracked lid, so I had been storing it in the fridge. Because that had made it cristallize, I wasn't able to get it out of the bottle. Since it was a plastic bottle, I couldn't microwave thaw it so , I soaked the bottle in hot water until it softened enough for my recipe.

I then poured the remainder into a spare glass jam jar so I will be able to use the rest more easily.

For my granola recipe which called for 6 different seeds, I bought most of them from the bulk bins in just the amounts I needed, so I would save money, and not have partial bags of seeds left going stale.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1257 on: February 04, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »
Surely, I'm not the only one here with a stupid amount of chia seeds, ground flax, and coconut?

Okay, maybe I am :)

Anyways. I found this oatmeal substitute that can be made in advanced like my packs of instant oatmeal. I did a test batch this morning, sauteed some apples and raisins in the pot first, but YUM!

I've always struggled with oatmeal for breakfast, I'll eat it in baking, I'll eat it once it cooled..but hot oatmeal doesn't do it for me.

This I can do! and Hubby likes it too, so WIN! Of course, this is more expensive than plain oatmeal, but we eat pretty close to Whole 30 style so this is a good sub for us, and will help me use up all chia/flax/coconut I have a surplus of.

http://www.paleostateofmindblog.com/blog/grain-free-oatmeal

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1258 on: February 04, 2017, 11:33:40 AM »
I made granola at the weekend and used part of a bottle of honey that had been in a plastic bottle with a cracked lid, so I had been storing it in the fridge. Because that had made it cristallize, I wasn't able to get it out of the bottle. Since it was a plastic bottle, I couldn't microwave thaw it so , I soaked the bottle in hot water until it softened enough for my recipe.

I then poured the remainder into a spare glass jam jar so I will be able to use the rest more easily.

For my granola recipe which called for 6 different seeds, I bought most of them from the bulk bins in just the amounts I needed, so I would save money, and not have partial bags of seeds left going stale.

If you happen to have corn syrup hanging around add a tiny bit (1 tsp??) to your honey after the honey is at the right consistency.  For some chemistry/physics reason that will keep the honey from crystalizing  again.  Google could probably explain why (or debunk the myth). 

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1259 on: February 04, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »
Surely, I'm not the only one here with a stupid amount of chia seeds, ground flax, and coconut?

Substitute hemp seeds for flax, and I'm right there with you. That recipe looks great, I'm going to try it!

The rest of the frozen nectarine slices and Thai iced tea (plus a few frozen mango pieces and some cashew butter) made for a delicious smoothie this morning.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1260 on: February 04, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »

...snip

This I can do! and Hubby likes it too, so WIN! Of course, this is more expensive than plain oatmeal, but we eat pretty close to Whole 30 style so this is a good sub for us, and will help me use up all chia/flax/coconut I have a surplus of.

http://www.paleostateofmindblog.com/blog/grain-free-oatmeal

I did wonder if I could find a recipe that calls for chia/flax/coconut and sesame seeds.  Thought maybe I could make my seed problem your seed problem through a "care" package.  But didn't find anything in a quick internet search...

Anyway, it can be a little bit hard to use up food when people continually send me home with food from the church.  Last night after an event, they sent me home with several servings of split pea soup.  Today, we had a funeral reception, and I brought home a plate of coleslaw, and rice and peas.  I added some more coleslaw veggies from the fridge, ate the rice and peas for dinner.  Went back a couple of hours after and ate a bowl of soup with toast.  Nothing used from stockpiles today... oh, except that a la 4alpacas, I sprinkled some sesame seeds into the split pea soup before I heated it up.  Actually, it added something to it, in an interesting way!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1261 on: February 04, 2017, 09:53:46 PM »

I did wonder if I could find a recipe that calls for chia/flax/coconut and sesame seeds.  Thought maybe I could make my seed problem your seed problem through a "care" package.  But didn't find anything in a quick internet search...

Anyway, it can be a little bit hard to use up food when people continually send me home with food from the church.  Last night after an event, they sent me home with several servings of split pea soup.  Today, we had a funeral reception, and I brought home a plate of coleslaw, and rice and peas.  I added some more coleslaw veggies from the fridge, ate the rice and peas for dinner.  Went back a couple of hours after and ate a bowl of soup with toast.  Nothing used from stockpiles today... oh, except that a la 4alpacas, I sprinkled some sesame seeds into the split pea soup before I heated it up.  Actually, it added something to it, in an interesting way!

Hah! I have a bit of a sesame seed problem too, but I don't consider it a problem :D Actually, I came across a small amount of toasted sesame seeds while I was cleaning the kitchen and thought of you! Then I thought well, if I just dump em in my mouth I can clean the dish! So I did! As I was chewing em I thought they tasted like the best part of sesame snax just without all the sugar! Although I've been sugar-free for a while so the lack of sugar didn't seem weird to my taste buds. YMMV.

I suppose the good thing about bringing food home from work is your overall food budget should be lower? I imagine you get some strange leftovers though.

Ended up using some turkey bacon from the freezer and had 2nd breakfast for dinner. I took out some Turkey pieces from a bird I had cut up and froze about a year ago to thaw for dinner tomorrow. Will do some sort of crockpot shredded turkey.

I've moved all are various dried fruit into one place so we know where it is and can grab some to snack on whenever we want. I finished the last of our dried plums and I am super sad. They were chewy and tangy and sort of reminded me of dino sours.  I'm going to dry as many as I can next year!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #1262 on: February 04, 2017, 09:56:16 PM »
@SmartyCat

Made this dish with frozen okra:
https://youtu.be/wWn45WE4DgE

Topped with yogurt and cilantro. Served mine w rice. Mmm. 

I always turn my lonely ingredients into Indian food.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1263 on: February 04, 2017, 10:11:22 PM »

Hah! I have a bit of a sesame seed problem too, but I don't consider it a problem :D Actually, I came across a small amount of toasted sesame seeds while I was cleaning the kitchen and thought of you! Then I thought well, if I just dump em in my mouth I can clean the dish! So I did! As I was chewing em I thought they tasted like the best part of sesame snax just without all the sugar! Although I've been sugar-free for a while so the lack of sugar didn't seem weird to my taste buds. YMMV.

I suppose the good thing about bringing food home from work is your overall food budget should be lower? I imagine you get some strange leftovers though.

I think that the reason my mom had all those sesame seeds is because she was going to make peanut brittle, but with sesame seeds.  AKA sesame snax.  Yum.  But that would be a baaaaad way for me to use them.  (Mmm.  Sesame snax.  Sugar that I can justify on the grounds that sesame seeds are nutritious!  Yeah, no, baaaaad idea!  Sprinkling them on salad or tofu would be much better for me!)

Yes, in theory the food coming home from work should help with the budget.  But it's not always (usually) very balanced nutritionally (cake and other baked goods feature prominently), and it's very sporadic.  So what happens is that it contributes to my food waste problem.  i.e. I have no food in the house, so I go shopping and buy all kinds of fruit and veg, and then I get sent home with a bunch of stuff the next day, enough to last me for several days, and delays me getting into the stuff that I bought.  From functions, what I can eat is often the rice dish, so I try to pop some portions into the freezer right away rather than letting them sit in the fridge.  That helps.  It also helps if I eat the salad right away, that day, or else it can end up sitting there long enough to go bad.

@SmartyCat

Made this dish with frozen okra:
https://youtu.be/wWn45WE4DgE

Topped with yogurt and cilantro. Served mine w rice. Mmm. 

I always turn my lonely ingredients into Indian food.

I forgot we were supposed to be thinking of okra suggestions...

When I make soup, it's usually "a little bit of this, a little bit of that."  A couple of years ago I finished up a bag of frozen okra that way, over the course of several pots of veg soup.  Can't tell you exactly what was in them, but usually I start with a can of crushed tomato, and some extra water to start the base, then add various flavourings - veg bouillon cube, splash of red wine, apple cider or balsamic vinegar, garlic or ginger or chili powder or whatever herbs and spices I'm in the mood for.  Maybe tofu or beans or some kind of meat substitute.  Onion, carrot, potato, celery, frozen corn would be common, depending on what's on hand.  And yeah, a handful of okra in every pot, until the bag was gone.  (Can't remember now, what did I originally buy the okra for???)

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #1264 on: February 06, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
Well it was kind of a slow week on the using stuff up front. I feel like I've taken most of the easy wins so progress may be a little slower going forward. My current battle is to use up the freezer bananas and last of the chocolate protein powder by making peanut-butter banana chocolate smoothies for breakfast this week. There's not too much of the protein powder left, but there was originally FIVE POUNDS of the stuff, so it is in an absolutely enormous plastic jar which I will be very happy to be rid of. I could repackage it to save space, but having that behemoth in the cupboard is encouraging me to use it up so I will leave it.

I wanted to do some baking this weekend to use up some stuff but didn't get around to it, hopefully next weekend!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1265 on: February 06, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »
Found half a jar of (commercially made) sundried tomato pesto, forgotten in the back of the fridge.  It's definitely been months, rather than weeks, since I opened it.  Smells and looks ok, but I've had pesto get moldy when I left it too long in the past.

Thoughts on using it?

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1266 on: February 06, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »
Never mind my question above ... I decided not to risk it.

In other news, I made two pots of food tonight, for meals this week and for the freezer.

1.  Jar of pasta sauce, with veggies added, plus soya chunks (to act sort of like "meatballs") and some extra water (because the soya chunks were going to absorb some).  Closer to the end of the cooking time, I added whole wheat pasta.  Result - 5 servings of pasta with lots of veggies and protein.  And I still have more soya chunks and 3 jars of pasta sauce and 2.5 boxes of pasta to use...

2.  White kidney beans, onion, garlic, potato, and various herbs and spices for flavour.  I added way to much water and had to cook it a long time!  But one more can of beans out of the cupboard.  And I saved the bean water from the can, to pour over the dog's food tomorrow (it has some salt in it, and she needs her food salted due to a medical condition, so it's worth taking the time to save it.)

Also finished up an old old bottle of Kahlua, and used a few old old maraschino cherries in a nice little drink before bed.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1267 on: February 07, 2017, 02:54:05 AM »
Found half a jar of (commercially made) sundried tomato pesto, forgotten in the back of the fridge. 

Just a tip for next time - wipe out the sides of the jar with a napkin or similar so that there is nothing clinging to the sides of the jar. Then pour olive oil on top of the pesto, enough so that no pesto is sticking up above the surface. It makes a seal so nothing is exposed to the air. Lasts ages this way.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1268 on: February 07, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »
Just a tip for next time - wipe out the sides of the jar with a napkin or similar so that there is nothing clinging to the sides of the jar. Then pour olive oil on top of the pesto, enough so that no pesto is sticking up above the surface. It makes a seal so nothing is exposed to the air. Lasts ages this way.

Yep, I do this with my tomato and pepper paste that comes in massive jars.

Going pretty good on the "eat it up" front. Working through nuts, teas, extra oils, meat. We didn't do our weekly grocery shop on the weekend and looks like we are not going to get to the store before this weekend.

Last night I had Turkey Salad for supper,  using some turkey parts I found in the freezer and crock potted. Used some poppyseeds in homemade dressing, some cranberries, the last of the pumpkin seeds, some pecans, apple, celery that was on its last legs. It was super yum. I tend not to make creamy dressed salads because Hubs isn't a fan. I forgot how much I like them!

Hubs had some of the instant not oatmeal with apples and raisins for dinner. I'm lucky he's pretty easy going and not attached to certain ideas around what is a "proper" dinner :) Having done Whole 30 so many times we now tend to think in "Meal 1" Meal 2"... instead which makes it much easier.

I actually have room in my freezers now, so that is exciting! Also starting to price out staples for when we do want to refill.

One item I'm a little bit stumped with is Smoked Olive oil. We got it for Christmas, but it is almost too aggressively smoked. Like the Harissa olive oil that is too damn hot (even for us chili heads) So other then using it in tiny doses and cut with other oils, I'm not sure if there is a better idea.

So today is our last day of this round of Whole 30, which means I also have a tote of non-complaint foods to either put BACK into the pantry or decide not to, we know all our food issues so know everything we took out can easily be incorporated into our diet. OTOH, it's (mostly) stuff we haven't missed at all so not going to be replacing it once we use it up. Onward and Upward!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1269 on: February 07, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
Found half a jar of (commercially made) sundried tomato pesto, forgotten in the back of the fridge. 

Thanks, great tip!

Can I also freeze it?  Anyone know?  I have two more jars, one of sundried tomato, one regular pesto.  They were (duh!) on sale, why else would I have bought so many.  (Why did I buy so many, even on sale?!?!?  Pasta isn't even one of my most common dishes.  What did I think I was going to use them for/on????)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1270 on: February 07, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »

Thanks, great tip!

Can I also freeze it?  Anyone know?  I have two more jars, one of sundried tomato, one regular pesto.  They were (duh!) on sale, why else would I have bought so many.  (Why did I buy so many, even on sale?!?!?  Pasta isn't even one of my most common dishes.  What did I think I was going to use them for/on????)
We go through pesto quickly because we use it on everything.  We make pizzas from tortillas and use pesto as a sauce.  Use pesto instead of mayo/mustard on sandwiches. 

EVERYTHING IS BETTER WITH PESTO!

I made an overnight oats recipe last night (and I doubled it, so it's for 4 days), and it's HORRIBLE.  It's too sweet, and I can't eat it.  I ate a few bites before my workout just to get through it.  Now it's sitting on my desk next to me.  I'm going to dump the entire batch out tonight.  AH! I hate to waste food, but I'm trying not to beat myself up over the waste. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1271 on: February 07, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »

I made an overnight oats recipe last night (and I doubled it, so it's for 4 days), and it's HORRIBLE.  It's too sweet, and I can't eat it.  I ate a few bites before my workout just to get through it.  Now it's sitting on my desk next to me.  I'm going to dump the entire batch out tonight.  AH! I hate to waste food, but I'm trying not to beat myself up over the waste.

Can you "dilute" it with more oats? 

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1272 on: February 07, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »

Thanks, great tip!

We go through pesto quickly because we use it on everything.  We make pizzas from tortillas and use pesto as a sauce.  Use pesto instead of mayo/mustard on sandwiches. 

EVERYTHING IS BETTER WITH PESTO!

LOL ... I think the key there might be the word "we."  It's just me, so I'd have to literally use it on everything.  But I don't really use much in the way of condiments on my sandwiches.  Though pizza is a good idea, even if it's "pizza on toasted bread."  That's one of my quick and easy dinners when I have leftover pasta sauce to use up, so I could substitute the pesto (especially the sundried tomato one.) 

There's more urgent things to use than my two unopened jars of pesto, but I'll keep that in mind.

Also - your oatmeal.  Oatmeal is pretty cheap, so don't sweat it too much if you dump it out. 

But a couple of suggestions - you could make more oatmeal (plain) and mix it up together to cut the sweetness.  If you have a dog, and there are no raisins in it or other pet prohibited items in it, you could feed a bit to the dog on top of their food.  There are bread recipes out there that call for cooked oatmeal, that you could use it in (adjusting the rest of the sugar in the recipe, of course).  You could freeze in smaller portions and add a bit at a time to well-blended smoothies. 

That's all I got, off the top of my head!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1273 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
I did try to add more oats and chia seeds, and it isn't helping.  I think it's because the recipe called for maple syrup (instead of the honey I normally use).  Blech. 

I do have a dog, but she won't eat things like oatmeal.  Meat, cheese, and plain yogurt.  That's it. 

With the talk of PJ's pesto, I have a serious craving for a turkey pesto sandwich on a pretzel bun.  Not healthy, but SO MUCH BETTER WITH PESTO!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1274 on: February 07, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »
I tried overnight oats and just thought they tasted strange and had such a weird texture.  I keep seeing them on blogs and I wonder how many of the writers actually consistently eat them.  Another one is the chia seed drinks and puddings.  I add them to oats and salads, but since the overnight oats fail I am less excited about trying a mushy globby dish of gelatinous "healthy pudding!"

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1275 on: February 07, 2017, 11:21:32 AM »
I am less excited about trying a mushy globby dish of gelatinous "healthy pudding!"

If you happen to have a high-speed blender, whizzing it up does make it more pudding like, chocolate helps too!

I did try to add more oats and chia seeds, and it isn't helping.  I think it's because the recipe called for maple syrup (instead of the honey I normally use).  Blech. 

*gasp* I think we may have to pull your "Honourary Canadain" card! ;)

PJ - you can definitely freeze all types of pesto. I usually freeze them in ice cube trays and pop them into a ziplock so you have a perfect couple of TBS. portion ready to go. You can toss these into the pan when you are sauteeing veggies, add them to soups or stews. I'll add a sundried tomato pesto block to pretty much anything I am making that is tomato based. You can add a cube to rice, lots of options when it is in a portioned out, frozen serving.

I'm thinking next time I go to the store I'll pick up some extra eggplant and try and make a dip with the smoked olive oil.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1276 on: February 07, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »
I am less excited about trying a mushy globby dish of gelatinous "healthy pudding!"

If you happen to have a high-speed blender, whizzing it up does make it more pudding like, chocolate helps too!

*gasp* I think we may have to pull your "Honourary Canadian" card! ;)

PJ - you can definitely freeze all types of pesto. I usually freeze them in ice cube trays and pop them into a ziplock so you have a perfect couple of TBS. portion ready to go. You can toss these into the pan when you are sauteeing veggies, add them to soups or stews. I'll add a sundried tomato pesto block to pretty much anything I am making that is tomato based. You can add a cube to rice, lots of options when it is in a portioned out, frozen serving.

I'm thinking next time I go to the store I'll pick up some extra eggplant and try and make a dip with the smoked olive oil.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1277 on: February 07, 2017, 11:32:07 AM »
Chocolate Chia seed pudding. I usually sweeten with dates instead of what they suggest. Maple syrup works well too. I prefer this to the "Tapioca" style because sometimes chia seeds don't look all that appetizing, or I don't want to be picking them out of my teeth later.  Also this seems less healthy in pudding form :) http://wholenewmom.com/recipes/chocolate-carob-chia-pudding-dairy-free-sugar-free/

I made this over the weekend, and the flavour is fine, but the texture is quite loose.   It is nice with plain balkan style yogurt.  it could just be me having trouble with the expectations I have with the term pudding. Should I have let it sit longer? Used more?  Something else?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1278 on: February 07, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »
Chocolate Chia seed pudding. I usually sweeten with dates instead of what they suggest. Maple syrup works well too. I prefer this to the "Tapioca" style because sometimes chia seeds don't look all that appetizing, or I don't want to be picking them out of my teeth later.  Also this seems less healthy in pudding form :) http://wholenewmom.com/recipes/chocolate-carob-chia-pudding-dairy-free-sugar-free/

I made this over the weekend, and the flavour is fine, but the texture is quite loose.   It is nice with plain balkan style yogurt.  it could just be me having trouble with the expectations I have with the term pudding. Should I have let it sit longer? Used more?  Something else?

Well, it is more like "instant" pudding then the texture you would get with a proper cooked pudding. I would add more chia seeds, Honestly, I never measure anything so I just keep experimenting until I find what I like :)

Edited to add: I've also been dairy/wheat and mostly sugar-free for so long, that those who are used to the regular versions of everything may be disappointed. It is close enough to what I remember though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:56:31 AM by swick »

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1279 on: February 07, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
So far this month, we've only needed perishable staples from the grocery store - onions, garlic, carrots, celery, eggs, milk, and OJ, plus some green veg.  I was able to get the veggies from produce stalls at our City Market for <$10. 

I took the last 5 pound pork shoulder out of the freezer and adapted a recipe for the crockpot that involved 14 cloves of garlic, maple syrup, malt vinegar, and Matilda (beer), all of which I had lurking around.  Cook that all day while at work, alongside a second crockpot full of Christmas lima beans from Rancho Gordo.  This was incredibly delicious crisped together in a skillet, and I have tons of leftovers.

Made a batch of lentil soup that's an Amy's brand copycat - enough for both of our lunches this week. 

I invited some friends over for dinner tomorrow - will be serving pork chops, mushroom risotto, and roasted brussel sprouts with sweet potato.

Filled in with adhoc meals using what we had on hand - red curry chicken, pasta with roasted broccoli and chickpeas, one of the 6 frozen pizzas, even did hot dogs with (pouch) lentil chili while watching the super bowl.

Next on the agenda, I will defrost, spatchcock, and roast the whole turkey lurking in the bottom of the chest freezer, make some dinners out of it, and make stock and soup from it.  After that, lasagna with ground turkey and chicken Italian sausage.  For that will need to buy some ricotta, but that's it. 

I've even got Valentine's day dinner covered - grilled bone-in ribeyes, shrimp stuffed twice baked potatoes, and either creamed spinach or green beans with bacon.  I'll only have to buy a couple potatoes. 

Hopefully by the end of the month I'll be condensed into just the fridge freezer - so I can defost and clean the chest freezer.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1280 on: February 07, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »
Hopefully by the end of the month I'll be condensed into just the fridge freezer - so I can defost and clean the chest freezer.

Well done, dividend!  That's quite an accomplishment.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I'm not actually sure if I have ice cube trays???  I have sensitive teeth, stopped keeping ice in the freezer because it always tasted so gross after sitting there so long between uses.  But I'm guessing I could put some blobs of pesto on waxed paper on a cookie sheet and flash freeze them, then pop into a ziplock bag.  Or just use as much of the jar as I can over the course of the first week when I open it, then freeze the 2nd half in the jar until a little while later.

Also, that's a great idea, to make baba ghanoush (sp?) with the smoked olive oil.  I have a bottle of "hickory smoke" kicking around, and often add a drop or two to soups, (veggie) stews, baked beans, etc.  Might take you a while to use it up, but it could become part of your "add a little of this, add a little of that" routine.

With the talk of PJ's pesto, I have a serious craving for a turkey pesto sandwich on a pretzel bun.  Not healthy, but SO MUCH BETTER WITH PESTO!

Sorry/not sorry.  Now go get yourself some pesto...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:16:48 PM by PJ »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1281 on: February 07, 2017, 02:14:19 PM »

Well done, dividend!  That's quite an accomplishment.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I'm not actually sure if I have ice cube trays???  I am sensitive teeth, stopped keeping ice in the freezer because it always tasted so gross after sitting there so long between uses.  But I'm guessing I could put some blobs of pesto on waxed paper on a cookie sheet and flash freeze them, then pop into a ziplock bag.  Or just use as much of the jar as I can over the course of the first week when I open it, then freeze the 2nd half in the jar until a little while later.

Also, that's a great idea, to make baba ghanoush (sp?) with the smoked olive oil.  I have a bottle of "hickory smoke" kicking around, and often add a drop or two to soups, (veggie) stews, baked beans, etc.  Might take you a while to use it up, but it could become part of your "add a little of this, add a little of that" routine.

Sorry/not sorry.  Now go get yourself some pesto...

Yep you can spoon blobs onto a cookie sheet and freeze them and pop them into a bag, I've done that several times too :)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1282 on: February 07, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »

Yep you can spoon blobs onto a cookie sheet and freeze them and pop them into a bag, I've done that several times too :)

I like to freeze pesto (I make a ton every summer) in snack-size ziploc bags, smushed flat.  You can also freeze it in larger bags (sandwich or quart), also pressed flat, and then just break off a chunk when you want to use some.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1283 on: February 07, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »

I like to freeze pesto (I make a ton every summer) in snack-size ziploc bags, smushed flat.  You can also freeze it in larger bags (sandwich or quart), also pressed flat, and then just break off a chunk when you want to use some.

That latter technique works great for curry paste, too.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1284 on: February 07, 2017, 06:12:11 PM »
Wow, amazed how much traction my little question about pesto has gotten!  I posit that people are passionate about pesto!

Dinner report - ate a big bowl of split pea soup (sent home with me from work last Friday night after a function) and some toast.  About to heat up a final cup of tea from this afternoon's pot, to fuel me for some more work on my computer this evening.  I kind of forgot about the soup when I cooked last night, so now thinking that I should put more of last night's cooking into the freezer.  (I still have two servings of soup, and will want to eat it within a week of it being made, so that means tomorrow and Thursday I need to use it up!)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1285 on: February 08, 2017, 01:24:43 PM »
One item I'm a little bit stumped with is Smoked Olive oil. We got it for Christmas, but it is almost too aggressively smoked. Like the Harissa olive oil that is too damn hot (even for us chili heads) So other then using it in tiny doses and cut with other oils, I'm not sure if there is a better idea.

swick, someone posted a link to this website in another thread, and I got to wandering around looking at recipes. 

Came across this one, which calls for cooking oil, and "smoked paprika" and I wondered if that kind of smoked flavour profile would work for your smoked olive oil. 

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2015/07/25/smoky-dogs-vegan-10p/

Some suggestions in the comments to make it wheat/GF too, if that matters.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1286 on: February 08, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »

swick, someone posted a link to this website in another thread, and I got to wandering around looking at recipes. 

Came across this one, which calls for cooking oil, and "smoked paprika" and I wondered if that kind of smoked flavour profile would work for your smoked olive oil. 

neato! Of all the veggie "Sausage" recipes out there, this is by far the most interesting blend of ingredients I've come across! Thanks for sharing!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1287 on: February 08, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »

neato! Of all the veggie "Sausage" recipes out there, this is by far the most interesting blend of ingredients I've come across! Thanks for sharing!

Cool!  It seems like a bit too much effort for me - I'll just splurge on my occasional package of veggie sausages during BBQ season, but it was intriguing.

Ok, while browsing recipe sites earlier, I found a suggestion to make grilled cheese sandwiches using mayo instead of butter or margarine.  I always have trouble finishing up a jar of mayo in a reasonable period of time (I don't use a lot of condiments) so thought it was worth trying.  Jury is out.  I used some different kinds of cheese than I normally would, and a rosemary focaccia type bun, and it all seemed a little bit greasy and not what I expected tastewise.  Not bad, just not like a grilled cheese.  But I will try to remember to try it again sometime, with plain old cheddar and my plain old hearty whole wheat bread. 

It did leave a bit more of a mess than usual on my sandwich grill, which is a bummer.  I'm used to just being able to quickly wipe it off with a paper towel. :-(

Anyway, ate some more of my kidney bean/potato/onion soup/stew type thing alongside.  Sort of a grilled cheese and soup dinner.  It was all warm, and greasy, and carb-y.  Perfect with all the ice outside.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1288 on: February 09, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »

What do you do with olive tapenade?  We have a few jars from gift baskets. 

Also, it's lemon season at our house.  Anyone have any interesting uses for Meyer lemons?  ~250 pounds.  Yes, I give as many away as I can, but most people want a few pounds of lemons.  Not 50.

Eat with crackers, or turn into your own crackers? Use as a filling for chicken?

Lemons - send them to me!! Or you could make a whole bunch of Preserved lemons for Christmas gifts. If you start them now, they'll be ready for Christmas.  Make lemon curd? Okay, you probably shouldn't be eating THAT MUCH lemon curd.... Freeze or can the juice for off-season use?

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1289 on: February 09, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »

Also, it's lemon season at our house.  Anyone have any interesting uses for Meyer lemons?  ~250 pounds.  Yes, I give as many away as I can, but most people want a few pounds of lemons.  Not 50.

I just spent kind of a lot of money buying 10 lbs of Meyer lemons from an orchard in California.  Well worth it.  I made preserved lemons, Meyer lemon salt, and lemon curd with my share of the box.

Have you seen this?  Some good ideas from one of my favorite canning blogs:

http://foodinjars.com/2013/02/eight-ways-to-preserve-meyer-lemons/ 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1290 on: February 09, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
Love the idea in the link of a Meyer limoncello. It makes it seem extra fancy-pants!

I was thinking it didn't seem like I was making much progress, but then I realized that I emptied a jar of nut butter this morning that we wouldn't buy again, so that is a win!

ohh we are making a pretty good dent in the flax/chia/coconut department. I finally used up the last of our small shredded coconut and had to break up some flakes in the food processor to get the right consistency for the recipe I was making.

Also continuing to go through our tea, DH got some herbal sampler boxes in a gift basket at work over Christmas and we have been slowly going through those. They are drinkable nothing to write home about, although with the weather we have been having it doesn't matter what we drink after taking the pups out for their nightly walk as long as it is hot!

I did combine spices (again) and was able to clear a couple of jars out of our spice cabinet :)

What is everyone focusing on using up this week?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1291 on: February 09, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »
What is everyone focusing on using up this week?
I've been focused on our freezer (and made a ton of progress).  Now I'm going to move onto our pantry.  We have a ton of stuff that I don't know how we acquired (gift baskets, impulse shopping, one-off recipes).

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1292 on: February 09, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
Here's some meyer lemon recipes:

http://www.farmgirlfare.com/2017/01/classic-scone-recipe-meyer-lemon-or-regular-lemon.html

I'm not sure how much of a dent it will make in 250 lbs.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1293 on: February 09, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
Here's some meyer lemon recipes:

http://www.farmgirlfare.com/2017/01/classic-scone-recipe-meyer-lemon-or-regular-lemon.html

I'm not sure how much of a dent it will make in 250 lbs.
Thanks!  The scones sound delicious.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #1294 on: February 09, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
Oooh I am loving all the lemon recipes. My neighbors have a lemon tree that overhangs our back fence and they have told us to help ourselves. I usually just grab one at a time as needed, and the rest end up falling off and rotting. I know I'm missing a great opportunity and I want to step up my game.

Question for you all - what exactly do you do with lemon jelly? I'm not a big jelly eater so I'm not inclined to spread it on toast or something, but I love lemon so I'm sure there's something I would enjoy.

And while I'm soliciting advice, I found this recipe for Loaded Dill Pickle Soup which has piqued my interest as I have a jar of dill pickles I've been very remiss in using up. I do like pickles, and this soup sounds... interesting, but pickle soup?? I'm skeptical. Has anyone ever had it?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1295 on: February 09, 2017, 12:16:13 PM »
Oooh I am loving all the lemon recipes. My neighbors have a lemon tree that overhangs our back fence and they have told us to help ourselves. I usually just grab one at a time as needed, and the rest end up falling off and rotting. I know I'm missing a great opportunity and I want to step up my game.

Question for you all - what exactly do you do with lemon jelly? I'm not a big jelly eater so I'm not inclined to spread it on toast or something, but I love lemon so I'm sure there's something I would enjoy.
I've never had lemon jelly.  I use lemon curd in plain greek yogurt (it tastes like lemon Noosa) and on pancakes.  I was thinking about making some sort of doughnut with lemon curd filling.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1296 on: February 09, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
Anyway, ate some more of my kidney bean/potato/onion soup/stew type thing alongside.  Sort of a grilled cheese and soup dinner.  It was all warm, and greasy, and carb-y.  Perfect with all the ice outside.
Sounds amazing.  Do you know what would have been delicious on your grilled cheese?  Pesto.  ;)

What do you do with olive tapenade?  We have a few jars from gift baskets. 

LMAO!  I sincerely hope that you have had something pesto-y this week, and every week, because you obviously love it a lot!

(Argh.  I made you a pesto picture, and want to add it, but I can't figure out how.  I know how to add pictures from the internet, but not from my computer.  Anyone able to help?)

You have also reminded me that I have a jar of tapenade.  I think you could use it almost anywhere you would use pesto.  With cheese on crackers or on pizza, in a sandwich (thinly - a little goes a long way).  You could probably mix a little bit into various soups and stews, to add to the "depth of flavour," especially those with a tomato-y base. 

I've never had lemon jelly.  I use lemon curd in plain greek yogurt (it tastes like lemon Noosa) and on pancakes.  I was thinking about making some sort of doughnut with lemon curd filling.

The lemon curd in yoghurt and on pancakes sounds good! 

My aunt once made a super simple but delicious dessert when I was visiting.  She barbecued slices of fresh pineapple, and served them with a dollop of lemon curd on top.  So fresh and delicious.

And now I want a lemon tree hanging over into my backyard!  (Wrong climate.  Our neighbours do have a mulberry tree, and I have been warming myself up to using more and more of them each year.  My mom's place - which is also my old place, but she wasn't living there at the time - they have a cherry tree hanging into the yard.  But it seems a lot trickier to time the harvest between when they are finally ripe, and when the birds have eaten them all.)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1297 on: February 09, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »
Continuing the mission to eat down the pantry/freezer and not wanting to go out in the snowpocalypse I am making Tacos for supper.

Coleslaw with limes that had gone rock hard but still had a little bit of juice left in em, some carrots and cabbage. Corn tortillas dredged from the bottom of the freezer, Turkey breast (freezer) with some homemade taco seasoning - yay for using up spices! Some refried beans from bean flakes I have had in the pantry forever (Which hubby uses all the time, I just thought buying a lot was a good idea) and some home canned salsa from the pantry.

Actually stoked I was able to pull it all together because after Whole 30, tacos was the single thing Hubby said he really missed and wanted to have. He'll be thrilled!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1298 on: February 09, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »
I have three weeks left in temporary housing, so I need to work towards using everything up:

Basmati rice
Butternut squash
Sweet potatoes
Raisins
Avocado oil
Butter
Coconut milk
Tuna
Kippered herring
Sardines
Salmon
Ground beef
Sausages
Chicken
Frozen blueberries
Grapefruit
Ginger
Garlic
Beets
Frozen peas
Frozen pearl onions
Baby carrots

I think I might have enough meat to last me the rest of my time here, or at least close to it.  Curry over rice will definitely be on the menu, perhaps with some of the chicken thighs for dinner tomorrow night and over the weekend.  Will do a shepherd's pie again - might experiment with sweet potato instead of white potato for the topping. 

LMBB

• Stubble
« Reply #1299 on: February 09, 2017, 06:41:46 PM »
Used up three different random containers of soups that were hanging out in the freezer - a leftover vegetable and noodle soup and a chicken and rice soup. The freezer is slowly getting emptier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!