Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1183524 times)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1050 on: December 17, 2016, 01:37:30 PM »
I have half a bag of spinach and a frozen pie crust, so spinach quiche is on the menu for tonight.

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1051 on: December 17, 2016, 03:44:03 PM »
I've been using up the stuff in my cupboards...

-used brown lentils to make soup
-used barley to make soup and also used as a substitute for rice in stirfry
-used cornmeal to make polenta (yuck!) Is there a way to make that taste good? Or another use for cornmeal?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1052 on: December 17, 2016, 03:47:58 PM »
Cornbread and corn muffins!

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1053 on: December 17, 2016, 03:52:09 PM »
Cornbread and corn muffins!

Thanks you! Will try some muffins.

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1054 on: December 18, 2016, 09:00:55 AM »
Any ideas for using up these items?
-Dijon mustard
-Rice vinegar
-Worcestershire sauce

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1055 on: December 18, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/caesar-salad-recipe.html

Just use the rice vinegar instead of the balsamic. It should still be good. Oh, and omit anchovies if you don't like them.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1056 on: December 18, 2016, 01:40:53 PM »
-Dijon mustard
-Rice vinegar
-Worcestershire sauce

Rice vinegar - Asian slaw with sesame oil and ginger.  Other oils work too, just won't have the Asian flavor profile.

Dijon mustard - makes a good pan sauce with honey over Brussels sprouts, other vegetables or chicken.

Worcestershire - anywhere you can use a little umami flavor - beef stew and the like.  I don't know of any recipes that use lots of it, but it seems to last forever.
Here's a chicken recipe that uses 1/4 cup of Dijon, plus a bit of Worcestershire http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/mustard-chicken-1862

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1057 on: December 18, 2016, 02:05:13 PM »
Any ideas for something easy to do with pork chops that doesn't involve frying or browning?  I've been ill and get an asthma attack when there's smoke in the house. Husband took kids out of the house to give me some rest, and said to order in some food for dinner, but I'd rather not.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1058 on: December 18, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
Anyone have any advice about what to do with jam?  I was thinking about making thumbprint cookies.  We have at least 10 jars of jam because I have friends that are jam-making fiends.  I love all of the jam, but our stockpile has gotten out of control.

Individual jam tarts. You'll never get through 10 jars making thumbprint cookies, though it is a fine use of jam.

Toast and jam or pancakes and jam for breakfast on a scheduled, but not everyday, basis.

Did anybody mention Linzer Torte? I was just wishing we had enough jam for one.
https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/12/linzer-torte/
http://www.austria.info/us/basic-facts/austrian-cuisine/linzer-torte

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1059 on: December 18, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
-Dijon mustard
-Rice vinegar
-Worcestershire sauce

Any ideas for something easy to do with pork chops that doesn't involve frying or browning?  I've been ill and get an asthma attack when there's smoke in the house. Husband took kids out of the house to give me some rest, and said to order in some food for dinner, but I'd rather not.

Bonus points for answering two queries with one recipe? :D

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/44742/marinated-baked-pork-chops/

Oven-baked chops marinated in soy and Worcestershire sauce.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1060 on: December 18, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »
-Dijon mustard
-Rice vinegar
-Worcestershire sauce

Bonus points for answering two queries with one recipe? :D

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/44742/marinated-baked-pork-chops/

Oven-baked chops marinated in soy and Worcestershire sauce.

Thanks so much!!  Chops are baking right now and they smell great! I usually brown chops and then cook through with apple slices or potatoes/onions, so it's nice to do something different.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1061 on: December 18, 2016, 06:37:49 PM »
Happy to help, Poundwise, hope they are yummy.

I need advice on something before I buy it.

I like sliced turkey from the deli but it's $30/kilo.

With Christmas just around the corner, the supermarkets are selling turkey rolled roasts for $10/kilo.

Could I buy a couple of those to cook, slice and freeze? Would the meat be ok for sandwiches and salads?

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #1062 on: December 18, 2016, 08:25:33 PM »
With Christmas just around the corner, the supermarkets are selling turkey rolled roasts for $10/kilo.

Could I buy a couple of those to cook, slice and freeze? Would the meat be ok for sandwiches and salads?

I would think so. I think the lady on the Prudent Homemaker blog does this frequently? That said, I'm not sure of the proper technique so that you can defrost it as you need it. Maybe someone else has an idea there.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1063 on: December 19, 2016, 05:34:07 AM »

I would think so. I think the lady on the Prudent Homemaker blog does this frequently? That said, I'm not sure of the proper technique so that you can defrost it as you need it. Maybe someone else has an idea there.

I buy a ham, boil then bake it (Nigella recipe), and when it's cold, slice, then freeze. I have a meat slicer (I know, so extravagant), but honestly, I can make a whole ham for £14 and I parcel up the meat in tin foil to freeze. In the mornings I just take a tin foil parcel to work, it has defrosted by the time I want to build my ham sandwich. I got about 30 portions out of my last ham! For reference, the ham I like to buy in the supermarket (real ham, not 'reformed' honey roasted) is £4 a packet (which lasts two days), £2 a portion. Frugal win!

The ham was fine for MONTHS in the freezer. I didn't think it would make so much at first, so I had the chance to check, and yeah, it lasts.

So, anyway, long story short, I haven't tried with turkey, but with cooked ham it was great.

What's a 'rolled roast' though? I would only do it with un-messed with meat. So if it's just fillets rolled up with stuffing in the middle, fine. If it has been in any way shaped or mechanically recovered, I personally wouldn't.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1064 on: December 19, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »
Condiment focus continues....

Used up the rest of the apricot preserves into a dump chicken recipe and froze it.

Used some of the sweet chili sauce on chicken breasts tonight, and will use more in a Mongolian lamb recipe tonight.

We used a bit of the BBQ sauce on sliders Saturday night.

I sucked it up and poured out about 1/2 cup sweetened lime juice and 1/2 gallon apple juice from our Halloween party.  This is primarily because we needed the fridge space for Christmas Eve.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1065 on: December 20, 2016, 08:34:56 PM »
Definitely going to make vege sushi sometime soon to use up some nori sheets.

And I found some Arborio rice hidden in the pantry: risotto! Yay!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1066 on: December 21, 2016, 12:06:26 AM »
The was a large moose roulade in the freezer, sitting there since the summer. Way too much diner for the two of us. Not expecting visitors soon. So we just prepared it on Monday, ate some slices. I cut up the rest into slices that went back into the freezer for some other time.
Yesterday I found 4 scallops and 2 big shrimp(s) in the freezer, which had been sitting there since who knows how long. It was still edible. I served it with thinly cut vegetables, soy sauce and noodles.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1067 on: December 21, 2016, 08:44:22 AM »
Finishing off some dried apple slices right now.

Used lamb kidneys and lamb heart in a shepherd's pie we're having for dinner tonight, which also used up more potatoes, carrots, and the last of a jar of tomato jam that's been in the fridge far too long.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1068 on: December 21, 2016, 08:53:21 AM »
Happy to help, Poundwise, hope they are yummy.

I need advice on something before I buy it.

I like sliced turkey from the deli but it's $30/kilo.

Thank you again, everybody enjoyed the chops and I think that we'll add that recipe to our regular menu! We didn't have lemons so I tried a splash of cider vinegar and it worked fine.

As for using regular turkey for sandwiches, I don't see why not?  I could see roast turkey meat on a baguette, with romaine lettuce, cheese and honey mustard. Maybe even splash of cranberry jelly for interest.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #1069 on: December 23, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »
It's been a little while since I've posted, but I'm still making slow progress. The holidays have been both a help and hinderance on my cupboard clearing ambitions.

Good: I was able to use 1 old can of evaporated milk and some frozen pumpkin in a Thanksgiving pie (and will be making another for Christmas, which will use the last of the evaporated milk), and finally used up an old tub of whipped topping on said pie as well.
Bad: Of course, I filled the freezer with leftover turkey, broth, and mashed potatoes.
Good: I made one batch of turkey soup a couple of weeks ago
Bad: I still have enough broth and turkey for 1-2 more batches of soup. And I'm making another turkey for Christmas.
Good: After I cook the Christmas turkey, there will not be a giant turkey in my fridge/freezer
Bad: This is the time of year I stockpile baking supplies (especially flour and sugar), so I'm re-filling all that nice empty space I had cleared.
Good: I have lots of space to stockpile the things I know I will use while they're cheap, and I have a much better idea of how much and what I should be buying.
Bad: One of my regular stores has been doing almost daily e-coupons for free items, so I'm ending up with some kind of random stuff filling my cupboards again.

Anyway, you get the gist... using up old stuff but frequently replacing it with new.

I have finally used all the instant brown rice and tomato paste that was on my "urgently needs to get used" list, so that is good. My chest freezer has descended into chaos once again, and I desperately need to do another inventory. Last night I planned to make salmon for dinner - had the rice cooking on the stove, then went out to the freezer to get the last salmon fillet... and no salmon. I think I used it last week and didn't realize it was all gone... sadness ensued. But then I remembered I had two cans of soup on my "urgently needs to get used" list so I heated those up and made some grilled cheese sandwiches. It was a lovely dinner on a cold, rainy night, and the soup is gone! Hooray :)

I have decided that January is going to be a pantry challenge month, and I will only buy fresh produce, dairy products (milk, eggs, yogurt, butter), and nuts. I'm working on a list of meals I can make from the things I currently have on hand, and finding that it is a very, very long list.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 01:05:27 PM by DTaggart »

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1070 on: December 23, 2016, 07:37:49 PM »
Made a double batch of broccoli mac and cheese to use up some pasta, breadcrumbs, and frozen broccoli. Froze one batch. I know making freezer meals isn't technically using things up, but one of my goals is to have a freezer full of meals rather than random ingredients before this baby gets here, so I'm counting it as a win.

I participated in a silly white elephant exchange the other day so I included several packs of ramen in my gift. It was quite popular lol.

Grocery spending was about normal for the week but that's mostly because we're hosting Christmas. Other meals for the week will mostly be Christmas leftovers or from the freezer/pantry.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1071 on: December 28, 2016, 06:20:38 AM »
Red curry paste used up along with half cups of coconut milk and stock from the freezer and the leftover turkey we were sent home with.
Bag of polenta used up (which also used up 2 cups of stock) for cheesy spinach polenta.
Two cups of stock used up in a vaguely Asian soup with napa cabbage & chicken meatballs.

A coupe of chicken carcasses and a beef blade bone are simmering to make more stock.  Doh!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1072 on: December 28, 2016, 08:17:24 AM »
Last of the kale and collards from the garden used up in a batch of green soup this week.

Leeks from the garden used up in a saute with mushrooms and carrots last night

I've been working away at the big winter squash by shredding it and having squash hashbrowns for breakfast most mornings.

Have been using some of the potatoes and sweet potatoes, but the carbs are kind of problematic after stepping on the scale post-holidays.  Ugh.  Some things might go to waste in the name of fitting back into my jeans...

Still have a bag of Swiss chard and two large cabbages to use, as well as a whole chicken

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1073 on: December 28, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »
Officially joining in preparation for Uber Frugal January.  My main goal is to eat everything in my freezer & chest freezer so that by summer it's empty and ready for the new harvest.  There's also a few things languishing in the pantry that will be good to use up.

The trick will be to plan ahead and make some big meals every weekend so that it keeps things easy for me on weeknights.  I also want to turn my freezer full of ingredients (mostly veggies and meat) into a freezer full of ready-to-go single-serving meals.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1074 on: December 28, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »
Vegetarian-friendly uses for salsa that don't involve eating lots of chips? I canned a LOT of salsa this summer. Too much, really. Should've done more diced/crushed tomatoes, which I'm nearly out of, and less salsa. Lesson learned for next year.

Lately I have been making taco "meat" by combining vegan ground "beef" crumbles with a jar of salsa and heating it up. It's tasty but I'm getting bored with this. Also, this does not work as well with green salsa (made with tomatillos). The recipe called for a lot of lime juice, I guess to get the acid up, and it just tastes.... strange. Not bad, just strange.

Also trying to decide on a use for about 1/3 of a bag of frozen fresh cranberries (which I don't really like; bought for a failed cranberry-red-wine jam recipe). Some sort of cobbler, maybe? Add enough sugar and I can probably get them down, haha.

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1075 on: December 28, 2016, 11:11:34 AM »

Also trying to decide on a use for about 1/3 of a bag of frozen fresh cranberries (which I don't really like; bought for a failed cranberry-red-wine jam recipe). Some sort of cobbler, maybe? Add enough sugar and I can probably get them down, haha.

Smoothies! I just add a small handful to a regular 2-cup smoothie so it's not too sour.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1076 on: December 28, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »
Ok, I've just done inventory of the freezer.  It is a bit overwhelming.

2 puff pastry sheets (expire Jan 2017)
17 cups of stock (mostly in 2 cup containers)
8 cups of pulled pork (1 cup containers)
2 cups of shredded balsamic beef
1 cup each - chickpeas, cream, mixed poultry fat, pork fat
1 bag shrimp
1 bag of chicken meatballs
8 packages of bacon
1 freezer bag of chicken breasts
1 freezer bag of pork tenderloin

3 sandwich ziplocks of roast peppers quarters
3 sandwich ziplocks of roast tomato quarters
1 freezer bag of spinach plugs
2.5 bags brussel sprouts
1 bag avocado

4 bags cranberries
2 bags mixed fruit
1 bag mango
5-6 bananas

Lower carb ideas greatly appreciated.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1077 on: December 28, 2016, 02:31:16 PM »
Vegetarian-friendly uses for salsa that don't involve eating lots of chips? I canned a LOT of salsa this summer. Too much, really. Should've done more diced/crushed tomatoes, which I'm nearly out of, and less salsa. Lesson learned for next year.

Salsa is good on plain old beans and rice. Just spoon some on top and eat. Works with red, black, or pinto beans (I prefer brown rice, but then I prefer it in all scenarios, so white might be fine.)

I make a soup with beans, a jar of salsa, and shredded chicken to eat with tortilla chips, but it's pretty good without the chicken, too, and would likely go well with your green salsa or with the two salsas together. I usually use a red salsa and add lime juice.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1078 on: December 28, 2016, 02:56:12 PM »
Have been working on Christmas leftovers:

Last Thursday's leftover restaurant prime rib made it to Friday brunch.

Made breakfast for dinner last night to use up Christmas morning's overnight French toast.

Ham has been made into sandwiches, wraps, on top of Triscuits, and last night's omelet.

Rolls have been used to make sliders and sandwiches.

Raw veggies have been supplementing meals, along with my mom's dip.

I've gained 5 pounds this season.  :S

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1079 on: December 29, 2016, 04:02:18 AM »
Having friends over for NYE and planning to use up olives, three or four different types of cheese, tomato relish, frozen rolls, red wine vinegar, potatoes, and nuts in various recipes.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #1080 on: December 29, 2016, 05:11:01 PM »

Lately I have been making taco "meat" by combining vegan ground "beef" crumbles with a jar of salsa and heating it up. It's tasty but I'm getting bored with this. Also, this does not work as well with green salsa (made with tomatillos). The recipe called for a lot of lime juice, I guess to get the acid up, and it just tastes.... strange. Not bad, just strange..

I make these Lentil Tacos pretty frequently. I usually use red salsa though so I'm not sure how they'd be with green. But they are really good, even my ultra carnivorous husband enjoys them.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1081 on: December 30, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »
The Christmas Eve ham is officially gone as of lunch time.  :)

We have way too many holiday treats left, so I brought a cute penguin gift box full of Dove chocolates and Christmas Hershey's kisses to the Veteran's home this morning.  The gratitude shown made my heart swell.

Happy New Year, everyone.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #1082 on: December 30, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »

Lately I have been making taco "meat" by combining vegan ground "beef" crumbles with a jar of salsa and heating it up. It's tasty but I'm getting bored with this. Also, this does not work as well with green salsa (made with tomatillos). The recipe called for a lot of lime juice, I guess to get the acid up, and it just tastes.... strange. Not bad, just strange.

I've been making beans and rice with onions, carrots, and sweet peppers and serving it over salad with a tomatillo salsa as dressing (sort of like a Chipotle salad bowl). It's an easy lunch and tasty.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1083 on: December 30, 2016, 03:55:16 PM »
Between hosting Christmas, preparing to host NYD brunch, and generally not being diligent, I'm pretty sure I made negative progress this week. I could barely close my freezer today (but I do have four freezer meals in there, which is still an improvement over random half-full bags of vegetables).

Back on track this week. DH is going out of town which should make it easier; he's a little less willing to eat random concoctions of pantry food than I am.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1084 on: December 31, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure I made negative progress this week.

Me too.

Back to the drawing board...

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #1085 on: December 31, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »
It is NYE and I decided to look in the back of my liquor cabinet and start using the stuff I have bought that I either have no idea what to do with or that I thought I liked that is not wonderful.

So tonight instead of putting whiskey in my soda I found a Dr. Pepper of DH's and I poured some hot pepper vodka (that is too spicy to drink on the rocks) and a dash of lime. It tastes like chocolate. It is crazy good. It wont be be go to. But it is a good way to get through this bottle by the end of 2017.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1086 on: January 01, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »
New Years Eve and Jan 1 dinner was very yummy fake empanadas - I defrosted one of the puff pastry packages and a cup of pulled pork (the label says it was frozen Jan 2016).  Sauteed the pork with some corn (freezer), shredded carrot (freezer), roast tomato (freezer), spinach (freezer), cauliflower puree (freezer), chipotle in adobe sauce (freezer), roasted garlic, sauteed onion, paprika, and cumin.  Then took it off the heat and stirred in some feta.

Rolled out half the puff pastry, cut into 5 pieces (one half cut into two, one half cut into three) and put a scoop of the pork mixture into each, and then folded the pastry over (into triangle turnovers for the quarters, and into rectangles for the thirds).  Cut a slit for steam to go out, and baked in a 425 oven for 22 minutes.

I ate mine with sour cream, the SO ate it with Nanny Hudson relish (https://www.foodiepages.ca/Nanny_Hudson/p/Nanny_Hudsons_Homestyle_Relish)

A great celebration meal and a good reminder of why I stock the freezer with these kinds of ingredients.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1087 on: January 01, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »
Pulled a bunch of dry goods down from the highest shelf in my pantry to use up.
Assortment included: a bunch of tea, rye (to grind in grain mill), a cake mix, expired mustard, expired red pepper jelly and an empty jar for homemade hot chocolate mix.

I need to investigate how to make rye bread again. I think that bag has been there about 4 years.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #1088 on: January 03, 2017, 01:10:23 PM »
All right, things got a little crazy before Christmas, what with preparing for my parents coming to stay for a few days, but I feel like I've been nailing it the past week!

• Apparently my family didn't get the memo about my freezer being full, because my brother's family sent us a lovely Omaha Steaks package for Xmas. It actually arrived the afternoon that I posted here committing to a Pantry Challenge in January lol. Anyway, we managed to shove all that (2 steaks,  2 pork chops, 4 burgers, 4 hot dogs, and a package of steak fries) into the freezer and started making plans to incorporate it into the meal plan. (I'm actually very appreciative that we received a lot of consumable gifts this year and very little "stuff").
  • On Xmas eve I made a pot roast, using up the last of some sad celery in the fridge. Finished up the leftovers on Xmas day.
  • Baked a home made pumpkin pie using up the last can of condensed milk from the pantry and tub of pumpkin puree from the freezer. There *might* be 1 more tub of pumpkin out there but I think it's gone. We'll see.
  • The next day my parents arrived and I made a turkey, nice to have that thing out of the fridge/freezer. Used some of the turkey broth that was in the freezer from the Thanksgiving turkey in making gravy.
  • With my parents around to help eat the turkey we didn't have quite as much leftovers as we often do. I did put some turkey and mashed potatoes in the freezer but it wasn't crazy.
  • Parents left Thursday. For dinner, hubby and I ate 2 of the Omaha Steak hamburgers, using up the last 2 sad hamburger buns that were in the fridge, and a sad old sweet potato was transformed into fries.
  • We had plans to go to the mountains and stay in a cabin on NYE but the weather was too bad so we ended up staying home. Consoled ourselves with the Omaha Steaks, hubby was very happy with those.
  • The next day I used some of the frozen turkey and mashed potatoes to make a pot pie. Instead of regular pie crust, I made a biscuit topping to use up some of the very old baking mix in the cupboard that is on "use it up" list. Still a lot to go :(
  • Over the weekend I had a freezer cooking/meal prep fest:
    • I used some of the freezer turkey and broth from the Thanksgiving turkey to make a batch of soup and put it in the freezer.
    • I boiled up the Christmas turkey carcass into 14 cups of stock and got that all portioned and frozen.
    • I took all the bread crusts from the turkey stuffing, leftover dinner rolls, and other bread ends that had been piling up in the freezer and made a very large batch of bread crumbs, adding to the very large batch of bread crumbs that got created after the Thanksgiving turkey. There are many bread crumbs in my freezer now.
    • Made 2 dozen blueberry muffins, and 2 dozen butternut squash muffins (using up some the frozen butternut squash and last bag of chocolate chips).
    • Made a batch of blueberry pancakes and a double batch of waffles to freeze, using up almond milk and regular milk that needed to get used.
    • Used some of the giant bread crumb store to prepare a large batch of chicken nuggets and freeze for later.
  • For dinner last night I made the Omaha Steak pork chops. Instead of my normal recipe I found a recipe for breaded chops to use up some more bread crumbs, very tasty. Hubby has requested them again, which is convenient considering the bread crumb situation. Had the last of the frozen mashed potatoes on the side.

So, almost all the holiday leftovers have been dealt with. I believe I have enough turkey in the freezer and wild rice mix in the cupboard for one more batch of soup. The remaining turkey broth will get used in place of chicken broth in regular cooking.

We ran out of bread and fruit around Thursday/Friday, but I wanted to try and push grocery shopping off for a few days (embracing the whole pantry challenge mindset). So we used tortillas and had turkey wraps instead of sandwiches, and carrots instead of fruit. I used a carton of almond milk from the cupboard when the regular milk gave out.

I prepared a meal plan for this week based on what we had on hand, then made my shopping list with only fresh produce and some essentials that we were out of or almost out of (eggs, salt, bread). Did shopping on Sunday, and despite the many post-holiday markdowns I found, I adhered to the list and had a very short shopping excursion. I confess, I did buy a small box of cookies that were on clearance for .99, but really... they were double chocolate chip candy cane :) I'm content with one small splurge.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1089 on: January 03, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »
Looking for something in the freezer, discovered I somehow have three bags (two partially used, of course) of pearl onions. Any good recipe ideas to use those up? :-/

Bonus: have about 6 oz of high-quality unsweetened chocolate, purchased by accident (it was next to the dark chocolate and I thought I grabbed one of those - almost identical packaging). Lots of recipes only call for a couple of ounces, I'd love to find one that uses more - I live alone and really don't need to make and eat three chocolate desserts ;-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: January 03, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »
Looking for something in the freezer, discovered I somehow have three bags (two partially used, of course) of pearl onions. Any good recipe ideas to use those up? :-/

Bonus: have about 6 oz of high-quality unsweetened chocolate, purchased by accident (it was next to the dark chocolate and I thought I grabbed one of those - almost identical packaging). Lots of recipes only call for a couple of ounces, I'd love to find one that uses more - I live alone and really don't need to make and eat three chocolate desserts ;-)

Chocolate mousse.

Double choc-dipped strawberries or cherries.

Chocolate ganache - equal parts cream and chocolate.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1091 on: January 04, 2017, 01:47:31 AM »
Had celery left over from NYE cocktails so I made a harvest chicken salad for dinner.

I have enough leftover to take it in a pita for lunch tomorrow.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1092 on: January 04, 2017, 02:39:36 AM »
Went to use some stoneground mustard that I found in the cupboard that was way past date (like years and years past). I opened it and it was discoloured on top and smelled a bit off. Had to chuck it

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #1093 on: January 04, 2017, 07:12:00 AM »
Beef Bourguignon is very good and uses plenty of pearl onion. Maybe not the most suitable after everyone is well fed on meat after the holiday, so ... a side of balsamic roasted pearl onion is probably good with frozen onion? (I've never tried).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1094 on: January 05, 2017, 08:01:03 AM »
The never-ending balance of bringing in food vs. using it up continues! I'm pretty sure I'm just treading water.

I have started using a wipeboard on the fridge to track what needs to get used and have put it at eye level. That has really helped. I also have a designated shelf for things that have to be used up. That is also helping.

We hosted a family potluck on the 30th and are just finishing up all the leftovers people left with us. I haven't had to cook dinners, so I have been able to focus on using up some of the non-dinner stuff we have kicking around.

Christmas has left us with a ton more food items. I'm pretty much okay with this though, the amount of "stuff" has gone way down and most of the family opted for homemade food gifts. Given Hubs and I have pretty specific diets these days, it is really cool that people thought about that and gave us food gifts we will use, instead of having to regift or rehome.

Some highlights: My sister made some coconut oil/turmeric/chai spiced hot toddy mix, and a jar of browned butter ghee. We got pistachios in our stockings instead of candy, my sister also gifted us a bottle of homemade huckleberry mead. Mom gave us a bunch of her canning. We got tons of herbal teas, regular teas, spices of all kinds. Now we have plenty of these, but it is so much better than getting things we will never use and have to store.

Our gifts were homemade popcorn seasonings (BBQ, Sour Cream and Onion, Ranch, Sriracha) tri-colored popcorn from our stash and a molded beeswax candle, all inside a decorative record bowl. These were super fun to put together, everyone loved them and they did help put a dent in our spices and popcorn stores :)

There is still a ton of chocolate and snacky things like that, but we are hosting an open house gaming day this weekend which should help use it up. Everything food wise for that is from the pantry or freezer, except for the buns, since we don't eat them. I am going to see if I can try and make a BBQ sauce to go on the kalua pork out of things I have in the pantry.

My aunt gave us a HUGE bag of Lemongrass "tea" So I now have dried lemongrass in at least three different forms:) I did make some into a tea and threw in some freeze dried raspberries I found in the back of the pantry. It was pretty tasty. Unfortunately, it only used a couple of tablespoons. Onward and upward!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:27:23 AM by swick »

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #1095 on: January 05, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
Made a lentil loaf the other day with a pack of lentils I've had for ages, leftovers of a salad mix with seeds and cranberries, apples that weren't the best texture for snacking, and some panko that was about to expire. Also been using up coconut milk that's close to its expiration date in smoothies. Canned mushroom soup made a nice quinoa, mushroom, and broccoli casserole.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1096 on: January 05, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »
Made a lentil loaf the other day with a pack of lentils I've had for ages, leftovers of a salad mix with seeds and cranberries, apples that weren't the best texture for snacking, and some panko that was about to expire. Also been using up coconut milk that's close to its expiration date in smoothies. Canned mushroom soup made a nice quinoa, mushroom, and broccoli casserole.

Do you have a recipe for the lentil loaf? I have read lentils, cranberries, seeds and some rice-crumbs (gluten free breadcrumbs - I think that is like panko?). I don't really like cranberries, I got them for a xmas cheeseboard so want to use them up. Do you serve it with gravy? 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1097 on: January 05, 2017, 04:17:06 PM »
Took everything out of the pantry and wrote down what we have.  Now time to eat it.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #1098 on: January 05, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »

Do you have a recipe for the lentil loaf? I have read lentils, cranberries, seeds and some rice-crumbs (gluten free breadcrumbs - I think that is like panko?). I don't really like cranberries, I got them for a xmas cheeseboard so want to use them up. Do you serve it with gravy?

It's based off of this one but I improvised with what I had on hand:

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/10/05/glazed-lentil-walnut-apple-loaf-revisited/

You can serve it with gravy, barbecue sauce, ketchup, cranberry sauce (maybe not in your case), apple sauce, whatever you feel like.

I also just saw this chili recipe with red lentils:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pmY9h51i1U

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1099 on: January 05, 2017, 06:30:29 PM »
Having a lovely stir fry tonight courtesy of some really old freezer vegetables and some pantry/fridge staples.