Author Topic: Eat 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit a day  (Read 39464 times)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
Re: Eat 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit a day
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »
Salad bowls with some semi scrambled eggs on top have been a very successful lunch/dinner option for me! We also made a veggie & tomato sauce that works nicely as a cold soup or on pasta.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
Here is the way I've been cooking sprouts recently--I add way more whole coriander seeds than she calls for and it's so tasty I might try the spice combo with cabbage today (which I have languishing in the fridge)

https://www.veganricha.com/2016/04/brussels-sprouts-subzi-indian-spices.html

Also going to roast cauliflower & sweet potato today so I can toss those onto meals.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2018, 05:21:34 AM »
I have been eating some very delicious tomatoes recently. Today I had 2 cups of lettuce, some chickpea fritters, and (frozen) banana and blueberries stirred through oat porridge. I was impressed with how the frozen banana turned out, I might have that in breakfast tomorrow.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2018, 01:07:56 AM »
I need some ideas for eating my dark leafy greens. Broccoli, spinach, kale, Bok Choy - that group of veggies. I'd guess I need  about 2 serves a day of those. What do you all make using those? Please note I can't presently eat dairy or soy products, and I'm looking for quick & easy ideas or ones that can be set up at the start of the week and then eaten all week. If your idea is delicious I can probably work out a swap for soy/dairy ;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2018, 01:18:57 AM »
Roasted broccoli with garlic is always the answer to all your problems.

We eat pasta fairly regularly. If you dump a bag of spinach into your pot of pasta sauce towards the end of the cooking process, it cools down to nothing.

Given there's no egg allergy in your household, I'd consider spinach quiche or spinach and ricotta pie.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2018, 11:30:42 AM »
I'm back on the bagged salad bandwagon. Not mustachian, but super helpful in getting me to eat more veggies.

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »
I need some ideas for eating my dark leafy greens. Broccoli, spinach, kale, Bok Choy - that group of veggies. I'd guess I need  about 2 serves a day of those. What do you all make using those? Please note I can't presently eat dairy or soy products, and I'm looking for quick & easy ideas or ones that can be set up at the start of the week and then eaten all week. If your idea is delicious I can probably work out a swap for soy/dairy ;)

I cook with kale.  You can use it in any recipe that calls for spinach.  I put it in chicken soup along with carrots, parsnips, and green onion.  I will sometimes add snap peas if I have them too.

I will add it to scrambled eggs, frittatas, and omelettes.  I make the frittatas in cup cake pans and freeze them.  I use other veggies in my egg dishes.  It is a great way to use up left overs of peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, kale, spinach, other braising greens, broccoli and tomatoes.   

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2018, 06:46:28 PM »
I second the suggestions above.

If you ever want green leafy vegetables on the side, braised in butter and garlic is v tasty.

I don't think cabbage counts as a leafy green, but a great and low effort way to cook it is braised in the slow cooker with vinegar. Warm it makes a v nice accompaniment to sausages. Cold it's nice too as a sort of pickled salad on the side and I ate it for four days last week. It's basically roughly chopped cabbage, an apple, onion and balsamic. Serve with a knob of butter if dairy becomes ok. Google recipes - I do a red cabbage one mostly but I've done it with green too.

Also kale crisps - great as a snack. Tear off bite sized bits, toss in a bowl with a teaspoon of oil so all coated, sprinkle some salt, possibly other things like paprika. Put on a baking tray, single layer of leaves only or they will go soggy, and bake at 150 for 25min. I have to turn the tray around at 10 min as my oven burns stuff at the front. So very yummy. I keep them in an airtight jar but they don't last all week so I don't know if they go soggy ;)

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
I find the fruit side of the equation easy, but the vegetable side harder. A few years ago I tried cutting back on the fruit in the hope it would lead to me eating more vegetables, but I just ended up eating less of both.

I read somewhere that people during the war had healthier diets than people living today (despite rationing) because they made a point of eating a proper sit down dinner, with (a little bit of) meat and veg whenever possible. So, I've made it my goal to have a bowl of salad at lunch, and a proper dinner with vegetables as often as I can.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2018, 07:58:10 PM »
As it gets colder down under, it's getting more and more viable to bake a tray of veggies with dinner. It's so so easy, somethings you don't even need to chop, or just cut in half, and I throw in unpeeled garlic cloves and then squidge them on my plate with a fork. Yum. Everything tastes better baked - try celery! I'll put them with frozen fish or chicken, or fresh chicken thighs with sweet chilli sauce or some other marinade. Delicious and nutritious and only about 10 mins prep.

Other than a lot of baked veg, I recently made a strange sauteed cabbage side dish that I'm calling Jamaican cabbage. I found a Jamaican curry powder recipe online and sauteed cabbage in butter and my version of that mix. It was delicious and I served it with fish. Cabbage is so cheap but I never want a whole head (and don't want to buy less as it's wrapped in plastic) so I chopped and froze the rest.

I've bought a bag of frozen mango cubes to make smoothies now my stash from the summer glut is used up to keep my fruit intake up. I did buy blueberries too but I'm getting the blue/ purple nutrients from home grown eggplant right now - we are eating it most days, it just keeps coming.

FYI : Pears are $1 / kilo at Coles!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »
Funnily enough I was just thinking of this thread! Now that I'm back at work I'm packing myself chopped veges (usually carrots and red capsicum) and occasionally packing a tub of grapes. Very easy to get my seven a day this way.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2018, 09:02:04 PM »
Do you take some dip with the veg? I find it hard to be satisfied snacking on veg unless there's some fat with it. I dip carrot in plain peanut butter - no salt, no sugar. When i bake the veg it's got oil on so that's easy.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2018, 09:27:39 PM »
Do you take some dip with the veg? I find it hard to be satisfied snacking on veg unless there's some fat with it. I dip carrot in plain peanut butter - no salt, no sugar. When i bake the veg it's got oil on so that's easy.

Sometimes I bring in some (homemade) dip, sometimes I don't!

Maybe I will bring in almond butter some days when I don't have dip. Though I definitely prefer almond butter with plenty of salt added :-P

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »
I'm desperate for snacks at work. A decent lunch and morning tea (and half a block of dark chocolate with almonds...) was thoroughly insufficient. I ate a 250g dark chocolate & almond block in 2 days of work! Chopped veg with dip sounds like a great idea. I can freeze portions and take one out of the freezer the night before.

I'm also really liking the change in weather, @Fresh Bread though we just had a few 35C+ days here.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2018, 10:31:17 PM »
It was 39 on Saturday and then yesterday I had to get my UGGs out! Hopefully we are done with the hot weather but it would be nice not to go straight into winter.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2018, 05:34:25 PM »
This thread has really been helpful to me. This week I will be eating 11 different veggies!!!

Zuccchini
Spinach
Arugala
Cherry Tomatoes
Sundried Tomatoes
Olives
Artichokes
Brussell Sprouts
Celery
Carrots
Kale

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »
For today, I've had a fruit smoothie for lunch, salad with lunch, a rice dish (leftovers) with peppers. Then for dinner, we went out to a salad bar. Kids choice. :-) Had a gift card, so no facepunches. I'd say I have had about 10 servings today. Plenty of fruit & veggies!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2018, 07:54:27 PM »
This thread has really been helpful to me. This week I will be eating 11 different veggies!!!

Zuccchini
Spinach
Arugala
Cherry Tomatoes
Sundried Tomatoes
Olives
Artichokes
Brussell Sprouts
Celery
Carrots
Kale

Thank you for your service.

Seriously though, I think you've covered the rainbow there, easily! Nice one.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2018, 09:40:59 AM »
Discovered a new trick : cauliflower in smoothies

I'd heard it recommended before but it sounded too odd/strong tasting--however yesterday I didn't have greens to add to my blueberry/banana smoothie so I tossed in a handful of raw cauliflower, couldn't taste it at all but it thickens up the smoothie nicely..and cruciferous veggies to start the day is an added bonus.

Reading more about microbiome health, how the sheer variety of plant fiber plays such an important component of a healthy diet which now means I am trying to expand beyond my usual go-to's.
Added bok choy, turnips, beets, brussel sprouts, and acorn squash to the grocery shop this week.
So excited for spring and being able to wild-harvest dandelion greens, nettles, etc

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
Still loving this challenge. Drinking an avo kale pineapple banana smoothie right now although it’s totally unmastachian because I bought it instead of making it

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »
I'm still buying bagged salad in order to get in the veggies. It's helping, but is obviously not the most mustachian choice. It would be reasonably easy to make on my own. Maybe I'll get the supplies & make that a goal for April.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
I'm still buying bagged salad in order to get in the veggies. It's helping, but is obviously not the most mustachian choice. It would be reasonably easy to make on my own. Maybe I'll get the supplies & make that a goal for April.

Do you mean just the bagged greens, or the complete salad kits?  I buy the greens in bags and I don't think they're that spendy.  But if you're buying the ones with the little packets of dressing , dried fruit, etc. included, then you can probably do that much cheaper!

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2018, 01:47:58 PM »
I'm new to this challenge, although not new to the goal of increasing fruit & veg.  I've been trying to follow Dr. Greger's How not to Die plan.  One of his devotees created a free app called Daily Dozen.  It's really helpful for me to see how my day is progressing, and make wise choices accordingly.  For example, yesterday I hadn't had any fruit by mid-afternoon, so my snack was fruit salad. (If I hadn't had the app, I might have gone for chips & hummus). 

The app includes special categories of fruit & veg, although you can be flexible with it.  I categorized today's lunchtime arugula salad as a cruciferous vegetable.  But I think I'm stir-frying some cabbage with dinner tonight.  If so, I'll count the arugula as a leafy green instead.  The idea is just to make sure you are getting a good variety of fruits & veg, and try to get leafy greens, crucifers, & berries every day along with your various other items.  I recommend the app and Dr. Greger's book & website!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
Can I just say I am in love with roasted beets? For anyone who has a sweet toooth, they are so good and taste like candy. Delish! I never really experimented with roasted veggies before this thread so it’s like a whole new world.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »
I'm doing well with volume of veges (especially on days I have cut up carrots and red capsicum to snack on), but not so well with variety. Time to start tracking that for myself as well.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »
I am applying the tools of personal finance to veggie eating and have made a spreadsheet to track my daily intake. Still loving this challenge thank you for posting it!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2018, 06:58:06 AM »
Can I just say I am in love with roasted beets? For anyone who has a sweet toooth, they are so good and taste like candy. Delish! I never really experimented with roasted veggies before this thread so it’s like a whole new world.

They are really good. Try them with crumbled goat cheese, chopped pecans, and balsamic vinaigrette or orange vinaigrette (the latter is standard vinaigrette with half balsamic vinegar and half orange juice and a little grated orange zest). It's my favorite way to eat them.

Following because husband and I definitely go through periods of slacking on our intake of plants. Thank goodness for the electric pressure cooker, which means that we have beans fairly regularly. We also prefer spaghetti squash in place of pasta, veg-heavy soups a few times a month, and lots of roasted frozen broccoli. Now that it's spring, though, we're more interested in more variety.

We bought a spiralizer last year and enjoy making zucchini noodles (so good sauteed with garlic and butter!) and spiral potatoes and sweet potatoes (toss in oil, sprinkle with seasoning, roast until cooked and a little crisp).

We also tried colcannon (mashed potatoes mixed with shredded cooked cabbage) and potato/turnip mash this winter and recommend both.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #177 on: June 04, 2018, 02:43:27 AM »
I'm doing it! I'm making a meal, absent-mindedly adding vegetables and eating a balanced plate of food! Unsure if I'm hitting the 5&2, I might track that next week, but this thread has been awesome.

I've just planted beets, spinach & lettuce in our garden to have leafy greens on hand. Fingers crossed the slugs & snails don't decimate them, I'll probably need to grab copper tape at the hardware store.

tungu2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2018, 11:44:54 PM »
Any ideas on incorporating vegetables that are not nightshades or onions into breakfast? Spinach or mushroom omelettes get old at some point. Thanks!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2018, 01:18:22 AM »
Any ideas on incorporating vegetables that are not nightshades or onions into breakfast? Spinach or mushroom omelettes get old at some point. Thanks!
How about Asian greens (Bok Choy etc), herbs like coriander or garlic, cubed pumpkin, some frozen peas?

tungu2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2018, 05:49:33 AM »
How about Asian greens (Bok Choy etc), herbs like coriander or garlic, cubed pumpkin, some frozen peas?

I am not ready for garlic in the morning :) but peas a great idea, thanks!
Also maybe I should try smoothies again (did not work for me before but who knows)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2018, 03:50:38 AM »
I'm about to tuck into my daily lunch salad - today it's arugula, tomatoes, avocado and radish.  I'll also have some tuna and crackers on the side.  I also brought grapes for dessert and a nectarine for later.

Dinner will be roasted potatoes, fish and zucchini.

So I guess that's 5+2 right there. 

albijaji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
Good thread!

I started using "Dr Greger's Daily Dozen" app (both android & apple) as a 'checklist' for my daily intake. So good! Definitely recommend it!

I checked out the app but I need to read the book I think to understand the inclusions, I'm sure it would be interesting. I don't think I've ever eaten flaxseed. And why the Vit D supplement? I have blood tests that show I'm not deficient.

its a vegan app , they assume you need to get your nutrients only from plants

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »
I'm reviving this thread, because I need to get back in the habit of eating at least five serves of veges every day (I'm less concerned about whether I eat any fruit).

My lunch today includes one serve of veg, I haven't packed snacks (it's a work day) and breakfast had zero serves of veg, so I will plan on eating carrot and red capsicum with hummus when I get home from work today to boost my vege intake before dinner.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
good bump @HappierAtHome
I'll rejoin this challenge as I've slacked for sure. I'm eating heaps of grains, which I'm fine with but need some variety.

We are having lentil soup tonight, I added quite a load of frozen spinach and dehydrated kale (and will add in some leftover red cabbage to mine)
Earlier today had a sandwich with spinach, tomato

Will cook up some brussel sprouts tonight that are in the fridge for eating this week
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:51:22 PM by Serendip »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2018, 07:41:57 PM »
Lentils count as veg too, so it's a fabulous head start on any meal.

We are having a weekly veg delivery for a few months to boost our intake. This week the delivery included 3 cucumbers! Like HaH I have no veg at brekkie so will be boosting my intake by eating cucumber sticks dipped in minty yoghurt.

Dinner will be some lump of protein with asparagus, mashed sweet potato plus lettuce, tomato & cucumber salad. I had leftover pasta with kale pesto for lunch which sounds healthy but there was only a thimbleful of veg in reality.

I will cancel the veg delivery after this week as the convenience mark up is too high. Then I hope to get back to posting what's in season / on special in Australia each week. There are veg that are always cheaper than others but it's good to have variety.

@HappierAtHome you don't have Harris Farm Markets over your way, do you?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
@HappierAtHome you don't have Harris Farm Markets over your way, do you?

No, sadly not! I hear good things about them from others.

I do live a five minute drive / ten minute walk (except with intersections that are shitty for pedestrians, which is hard when I have the pram) away from Aldi, Coles and Woolies, plus a new fruit and veg place that I need to try. And we have a farmers' market a five minute walk from home on Saturdays.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
I am grateful others started this up again. Ideas from others is just what I could do with right now. Lentils for dinner and veg + dips sounds right about my level of effort this week.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2018, 09:08:35 PM »
I lucked into a bunch (like 10 12 oz containers) of cubed butternut squash on super clearance. And bought them all. And turned about half of it into roasted butternut squash with 5 spice (tikka masala blend spices) and drizzled with maple syrup. The other bit is curried butternut squash soup (the secret ingredients are coconut cream and cayenne pepper).

And then got sad when all the soup was gone, so went back to the store, and lucked into a sale on whole butternuts for 49¢/pound. We're gonna be turning orange in my house this week... can't stop eating it.

I adore using cucumber slices (or sweet red pepper strips) with chicken salad, or my other super fave: chicken ranch wraps (sliced roasted chicken, cucumber strips, a sprinkle of sharp cheddar and drizzle of ranch dressing - served in a tortilla).

Cucumber and sweet peppers with tzatziki dip is sheer heaven.

I eat at least 4 servings of broccoli/cauliflower blend every day. I LOVE it and feel weird if I don't get it at all.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:26:23 PM by Frankies Girl »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2018, 09:18:06 PM »
@Frankies Girl , you might like this:

https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/slow-cooker-thai-butternut-squash-curry/

Obviously you can leave out the fish sauce to make it vegan, you can swap in brocolli and cauliflower, but the combo of coconut milk, Thai Red Curry paste* and peanut butter is just amazing. I made this on Sat and couldn't stop eating it. Happier, I bet you could use cashew or some other nut flavour.

* I used the Five Tastes brand.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2018, 09:22:38 PM »

Obviously you can leave out the fish sauce to make it vegan, you can swap in brocolli and cauliflower, but the combo of coconut milk, Thai Red Curry paste* and peanut butter is just amazing. I made this on Sat and couldn't stop eating it. Happier, I bet you could use cashew or some other nut flavour.

That looks really nifty! And I ADORE curries. I do eat meat tho so no worries about adding in fish sauce or anything. :)

I just hope I can make it, as the squash tends to get eaten FAST around here. I roasted 4 pounds already tonight, and at least one pound was already inhaled with just a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »
Oh that's good, definitely don't leave out the fish sauce then.

We grew Kent pumpkins last year and had so much soup, it was delicious.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »
Had pesto pasta with broccoli *and I added brussel sprouts since I love them so much

https://www.veganricha.com/2018/07/vegan-pesto-pasta.html

Didn't use the recipe since we had a leftover jar of pesto that needed to be used up but it was the inspiration for the meal

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »
I am still doing good with veggies (eat salad everyday for lunch with no meats just veggies cheese and eggs). I’m stoked its fall and now I’m eating my favorite fruit persimmons yum!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2018, 11:10:01 PM »

Yum!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2018, 05:23:43 AM »
Did well again today. Ate a red capsicum and two carrots (all chopped up and dipped in hummus) this afternoon, then dinner included spinach, red onion, zucchini and baby carrots.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »
Pear crisp for breakfast, then leftovers of pasta with brussel sprouts & broccoli for lunch.
Dinner might be last of the lentil, spinach soup (or will have to peek and see if there are any ingredients left to cook up into something new)

Also would like to go buy some butternut squash after all that talk about it..

*decided to make this for dinner to add some variety and bought the squash for tomorrow :)
https://www.budgetbytes.com/falafel-salad/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:47:00 PM by Serendip »

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #197 on: November 13, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
Pear crisp for breakfast, then leftovers of pasta with brussel sprouts & broccoli for lunch.
Dinner might be last of the lentil, spinach soup (or will have to peek and see if there are any ingredients left to cook up into something new)

Also would like to go buy some butternut squash after all that talk about it..

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/coconut-curried-butternut-squash-soup-3415383
^this is a decent recipe, swear it doesn't taste COCONUT (you'll barely even be able to tell if that sounds weird) and if you like a bit of heat, a pinch of cayenne pepper well blended (or a tiny bit more - but be careful) give squash soups (you can use pumpkin puree - canned or whatever too) an amazing spice note that I can't not do now because I miss it too much otherwise, but super (soup-er) delicious soup. Can use veggie broth if you want to make it vegan.

https://www.emilieeats.com/maple-curry-roasted-brussels-sprouts-butternut-squash-apples/
^this is pretty amazing, can do with just brussels, just butternut or a combo of butternut and brussels (leave out the apples)

I don't have a real recipe for my roasted butternut squash but it likely is a common recipe. I cube it, toss in a bowl with olive oil and roast at 400˚F for about 40 minutes (want a bit of brown), then a few dashes of garam masala (or cinnamon), some salt, a pat or two of butter (to taste), and then drizzle with maple syrup (I actually use sugar free pancake syrup) to taste. Can do without the syrup if you just want a savory side.

https://naturallyella.com/roasted-radish-and-asparagus-salad/
^roasting root vegetables like radishes elevates them to amazing nutty flavored awesome. This was my intro to roasting veggies, and I now do this with just plain ol radishes and can leave out the green onion and I don't use sugar for the sauce.

We've gotten to where we LOVE plain broccoli (with cauliflower sometimes) with only salt and pepper. We do the steam in bag ones, so go about 1 minute past the recommended cook time to get them a bit more soft.

Spinach fave is super easy: fresh spinach with about a half tablespoon of butter, low/medium heat in skillet, cook until wilted, then sprinkle garlic powder and salt to taste. If you use frozen, then just try to squeeze out as much liquid as you can before sautéeing. Can fry actual garlic with, but the garlic powder is SO easy and tastes great. Can do this with olive oil but give a weird mouth feel to me personally.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:10:51 AM by Frankies Girl »

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2018, 05:05:44 AM »
Thanks! I can't eat raw banana (gives me a headache - I know, weird) but I could put some avo in there.
I love bananas but can't eat anything (artificially) banana flavoured cos it gives me a headache. Used to love the sugary banana sweets you could get (google tells me they are called foam bananas) but got a headache every time I ate them. You don't have to have a banana to make a smoothie, though, just do without it.

I was also thinking of trying to dice half an apple the evening before and putting it in my morning oats.
Do you soak your oats overnight? You could grate an apple into them and have a kind of Bircher muesli effect.

Right, hopefully I'll catch up on the rest of this thread soon. I am trying really hard to increase the amount of veg I eat so ideas on how to do that are always good to have.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »
mmm..thanks for the recipe recommendations @Frankies Girl --
Am currently roasting the squash!

About to also make some hummus (adding parsley, cilantro & basil stems to the blender is one way to use them up and add a different flavour)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:06:59 PM by Serendip »