Author Topic: Eat 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit a day  (Read 39465 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Eat 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit a day
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2017, 04:59:51 AM »
We've been doing super well at this challenge this week!! Most of our meals are batch cooked, so I have been measuring how many cups of veges go into each batch. We're averaging two or three serves of veges per meal! Yay!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
This challenge has been super helpful for me. Today instead of a breakfast sandwich I got a smoothie with berries and banana and had them add spinach and kale. My New Years resolution is going to be eat more veggies. I’ve also been roasting root veggies for lunch and then blending them with almond or hemp milk and nutritional yeast to make soup.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2017, 06:25:21 PM »
We fell into survival mode (carbs) over the past 3 weeks due to illness. We did fit in some chicken soup, steamed veg, baked beans, and chopped melon. I'm looking forward to having the energy to remember we have fruit & veg and preparing it! The virus involved a sore throat so there wasn't a lot of food that was comfortable to eat.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »
I've been terrible lately at my own challenge!! Life got in the way and we too were in survival mode. I guess that's why I needed to set it in the first place.

New year, new start.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
I've been sick for a week or so, as has my 11 year old. So, we've been eating lots of soups & comfort foods. It's forced me to eat better than normal this holiday, but still not as well as a planned week. I need to get back into this for 2018!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
We're getting back on track surprisingly quickly. I made spinach & chickpea fritters last night, we're putting chicken soup in the slow cooker while we're out of the house today and we've got lettuce to snack on. Yum.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2018, 12:59:06 PM »
Doing well today. Had a pear with breakfast, as well as a cup of mixed greens, & 1/2 a diced pepper for lunch. I also cheated (in the Mustachian sense) & bought a bagged salad with fun mix ins. I normally resist salads, because I'm not great at making them to be terribly appealing at home. I'll try this & then work on making them more frugal with my own dressings, etc.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:52 PM »
Yep, it's totally unmustachian, but if you need to get veg in you with less obstacles, frozen or other chopped veg and prewashed salad leaves are the way to go.

Yesterday I had half a mango and one strawberry plus some sultanas. Veg wasn't so good - just a couple of cups of kale, spinach & lettuce.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »
I also read Dr.Gregor's book "How Not To Die" and use his nutritionfacts website and app (not using it anymore since it's become habit to eat this way).
Great challenge.

One of the most mustachian and healthiest veggies I know is purple cabbage.
Grate it up and add on top of everything!
We froze a pile of kale this summer and dehydrated a bunch too...so that gets added to everything, including a handful tossed in when cooking rice.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
I've been getting five servings/day since the new year kicked off. 6 on several days. My goal is to continue this through the year. Note that it's 5 total, combined between fruit & veggies. Maybe in 2019 my goal will be to get up to the actual 7 recommended. :-)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2018, 09:44:02 PM »
We had a bag of carrots in the fridge to use up, so I roasted the lot last night and am hoping to eat them with some eggs today. I had stopped having fruit on my morning porridge, so got that going again with some sultanas stirred in this morning. Watermelon made for a nice morning tea. I'm hoping to make a meal plan for next week to get my 5&2 since there's so much nice food in season.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »
A meal plan, good idea! I really need to get back into it. I keep saying I'm going to have a better 2018, but a) haven't yet done a proper shop and b) have no plan on what to eat.

I did have yoghurt with a cheek of fresh mango (3 for $5 at Coles) for afternoon tea. I might buy another full tray of them while they are still cheap. Sunday is forecast to be 39 degrees so a great day for nibbling on raw veggies, salad and fruit.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »
Can I join?  Can I? Can I?

I try, and have been trying for years, to eat mainly plant based food, with reasonable but not perfect results.  My big take-aways so far are -

If I eat a veg or fruit at breakfast time it gives me a head start on the rest of the day and I'm far more likely to meet the quota with less mental effort.
spi
In summer I eat a lot of salad.  I need to start growing what I eat most - spinach for greens, spring onions, tomatoes.  Lemons (I usually use a lemon juice and black pepper dressing) in the UK will be a bit of a stretch.

In winter I usually put a large tray of root vegetables (in season, cheap) in the oven and roast them with a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil.  I then have a few days of a tasty side or ingredient (soups, sauces) ready to go.

This thread has told me one thing already: I tend to default too much to some favourite veggies and need to expand my repetoire.  Each time I go shopping from now on there is going to have to be a "new to me this month" vegetable.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
This is on my to-do list when I start my new job and have a chance to get a new routine!

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2018, 10:15:42 AM »
Wow, what a great idea! I have a vegetarian under my roof right now, so this might be a perfect time to aim for a goal like this.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2018, 10:45:50 AM »
Can I join?  Can I? Can I?

I try, and have been trying for years, to eat mainly plant based food, with reasonable but not perfect results.  My big take-aways so far are -

If I eat a veg or fruit at breakfast time it gives me a head start on the rest of the day and I'm far more likely to meet the quota with less mental effort.
spi
In summer I eat a lot of salad.  I need to start growing what I eat most - spinach for greens, spring onions, tomatoes.  Lemons (I usually use a lemon juice and black pepper dressing) in the UK will be a bit of a stretch.

In winter I usually put a large tray of root vegetables (in season, cheap) in the oven and roast them with a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil.  I then have a few days of a tasty side or ingredient (soups, sauces) ready to go.

This thread has told me one thing already: I tend to default too much to some favourite veggies and need to expand my repetoire.  Each time I go shopping from now on there is going to have to be a "new to me this month" vegetable.

Agreed--roasting piles of root vegetables is a great way to have them ready. I just use olive oil and some combo of rosemary, garlic,coriander  (good herbs & spices are another easy way to add valuable nutrients)

Some days (like today), when I have slept in and am having a bigger pre-planned lunch--I will just eat a bunch of fruit, like 2 cut up oranges which I had in the fridge

We have drastically increased our veggie intake in the two years and feel great because of it. We try to make sure there is something green with each evening meal (even just a side of steamed bok choy, broccoli or spinach)

Travelling to Asia 2 years ago made a big switch in eating habits..the food was so flavorful and fresh. Mint was piled on top of salads, piles of herbs served with soups, etc. The places we visited used meat as flavoring..not the main course. A paradigm shift for N.Americans. We have been switching to more plant-based diet but still my SO enjoys certain dishes with meat/cheese..so he is charge of making those ones, and we only do 1-2/wk :)

Adjusting your taste buds to accomodate a broader range of  flavours is also a skill worth developing! At first, bitter greens might seem harsh..but little by little your body begins craving them(believe me..for years I ate spaghetti with ketchup & parmesan)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:08:12 AM by Serendip »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2018, 11:04:37 AM »
I want to join this challenge too.  My NY resolution last year was to eat less meat and more beans.  We're doing that but it would also be good to get more fruit/veg intake.  Unfortunately, I drink quite a lot of fruit juice (one glass of OJ every morning with breakfast and sometimes a bit more juice later in the day) I guess this is not good but I love my morning OJ -either fresh squeezed or bottled.

Anyway - today:

Breakfast - muesli with raisins and other dried fruit in it - I'd say that's one serving of fruit  (I also had my usual OJ but I won't count that)
Morning snack - apple and sandwich, some OJ
Lunch - string beans along with my lunch of fish cakes and bread
Afternoon snack - two mandarins, almonds
Husband is making pasta with gorgonzola sauce plus a big salad for dinner.  I guess the salad might count for 2 servings of veg?
Dessert will probably be a banana

So that's 4 fruit and 3 veg in what is for me an average day.  I guess I need to up the veg intake.  I'm ok with fruit.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
Welcome new people!

A last, a win for us. We made 500g of beef mince last four portions instead of three by padding out with veg. I probably got 3 serves of veg n that meal, including side salad.

Hula hoop - one cup of salad is a serve so a big salad would be at least 2 serves.

I don't know what the advice is on fruit juice in the US but here it's a bit like soda, ie a treat, because you don't get enough of the fruit fibre along with the sugar. If you're not trying to lose weight and you like it though *shrugs*

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2018, 12:56:35 AM »
Thanks, Fresh Bread.  I kind of think of the OJ like soda.  Problem is that I'm kind of addicted to it in the morning.  I'm not trying to lose weight though - actually I wouldn't mind gaining some weight.  One of the reasons i joined this thread is that it concentrates on eating healthily not on losing weight or counting calories.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2018, 03:16:44 AM »
Thanks, Fresh Bread.  I kind of think of the OJ like soda.  Problem is that I'm kind of addicted to it in the morning.  I'm not trying to lose weight though - actually I wouldn't mind gaining some weight.  One of the reasons i joined this thread is that it concentrates on eating healthily not on losing weight or counting calories.

Yeah it's a tough one. Maybe you can just limit yourself to a small glass and wean yourself off! You might find that if you up your sweet veg you might not crave it as much?

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2018, 03:27:14 AM »

Yeah it's a tough one. Maybe you can just limit yourself to a small glass and wean yourself off! You might find that if you up your sweet veg you might not crave it as much?

I don't see my OJ drinking as a problem.  In fact there are people who buy juicers and juice all kinds of fruit and veg supposedly for 'health reasons' so one glass of juice a day is hardly akin to guzzling diet soda or smoking.  Anyway, as I said, I'm trying to eat and drink more (healthy) calories rather than less as I've been losing weight lately and want to gain it back.  I guess I'm unusual in that way - I find that these 'health' threads are often focused on consuming fewer calories rather than more.  IMO a bit of juice here and there is a good way to stuff in more calories without getting too full.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2018, 03:31:21 AM »
Ok no worries, it's just that you said up above that your OJ drinking wasn't good so I assumed you wanted to reduce it. You go right ahead! I like fruit juice too, I'm just too tight to buy it.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2018, 03:40:06 AM »
Today started off well! Oats with little strawberries from the garden. Then lunch was pumpkin, zucchini and button squash zapped in the microwaved, cooled, and then added to avo, lettuce and feta cheese. So maybe 3 serves+ of veg and half a fruit. Then dinner, whoops, take away fish and chips because I got too tired, we were going to go out. Didn't even make a salad. I may redeem myself with some mango before bed.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2018, 03:59:57 AM »
Chips are a veg! I'm having 3 serves of veg for dinner tonight - a tin of baked beans and chips :D

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2018, 04:37:06 AM »
Chips are a veg! I'm having 3 serves of veg for dinner tonight - a tin of baked beans and chips :D

You are quite right!! Therefore, I have had five veg, let's say 2 veg if you count the lemon in my G&T. Winning.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2018, 06:07:52 AM »

Yum!

Since someone said above that onions count as a veg, I put some red onion on my ham and mayo sandwich at lunch and voila- a serving of veggies.  That plus some cucumber and I've got 2 veg already.

So what about beans and lentils - those are veg too?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2018, 06:27:59 AM »

Yum!

Since someone said above that onions count as a veg, I put some red onion on my ham and mayo sandwich at lunch and voila- a serving of veggies.  That plus some cucumber and I've got 2 veg already.

So what about beans and lentils - those are veg too?
Yup, those are veg too. My tin of baked beans came in tomato sauce and said "2 serves of veg!" on the side :)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
You only need half a cup of beans or veg for a serve. Whereas raw salad veg you need a whole cup. I should remember to put lentils in my bolognaise.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2018, 01:50:57 AM »
Really doing well at this for the last few days. Yay!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:44 PM »
Really doing well at this for the last few days. Yay!
Congrats!

I have been increasing greens..this gauntlet reminded me how many more I would like to add daily.

Grapefruits, pomengranate and oranges have been my recent fruit loves
&
big salads with roasted squash for lunch.
 YUM

Also made a big veggie chili with onions, peppers, tomatoes--so that will be a bunch of meals for the next few days

If anyone is interested: A great resource for tasty-veggie focused meals is http://veganricha.com
You don't need to be vegan to love it, she does great flavour combos & spices..you could add meat if you eat it but her recipes are top-notch.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2018, 10:50:54 PM »
Lately I've been getting into replacing pasta with spiralized noodles made from zucchinni or sweet potatoes in order to try and up my vegetable intake.  I like the sweet potato ones best, in part because they lose less water during cooking.  I find that a thick tomato sauce goes well with these veggie noodles.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2018, 11:35:06 PM »
Lately I've been getting into replacing pasta with spiralized noodles made from zucchinni or sweet potatoes in order to try and up my vegetable intake.  I like the sweet potato ones best, in part because they lose less water during cooking.  I find that a thick tomato sauce goes well with these veggie noodles.
Ooh, yum! Do you just cook them as though they were pasta? I have a peeler that might create flat "noodles" for me...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2018, 01:33:20 AM »
Ooh, yum! Do you just cook them as though they were pasta? I have a peeler that might create flat "noodles" for me...

Ages ago I bought this funny shaped peeler from a Vietnamese supermarket. This is what it does with the stub of a zucchini.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2018, 08:44:07 AM »
I think it works best to sauté the veggies noodles instead of boiling them like regular pasta.  You can cook them in a pan at the same time with mushrooms or other chopped vegetables, like a bell pepper, then add the sauce at the end.  Have fun experimenting!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2018, 07:19:49 PM »
Ok, back on the horse :)

Day before yesterday I made a cabbage and sausage stew in the slow cooker. It's so easy I should do it more. Ingredients are red cabbage, an apple, currant jelly (I used cranberry), balsamic & stock. And sausages. I added potatoes and probably got about 3 serves of veg and half a fruit.

Today's fruit is mango - I reckon one large mango is probably two serves?

This evening I'm going to try to stuff 8-10 serves into a chicken curry. I'm using shop bought sauce (sugar consumption will have to be a future challenge :/ ) so that I can focus on the veg. I've got carrot, pumpkin, red cabbage, egg plant, peas. A bit of an odd mix :) We'll be having it with rice.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »
I'm not sure how many serves in a rockmelon, but it turns out I can eat at least 1/4 of one all on my own for a snack. I'll be buying more of that for next week!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2018, 01:45:23 AM »
I'm not sure how many serves in a rockmelon, but it turns out I can eat at least 1/4 of one all on my own for a snack. I'll be buying more of that for next week!

Yum! I reckon there'd be at least 8 serves in a melon, maybe even 12? So you're nailing it!

Hubby came home and we did a joint effort on the curry. It's huge and I reckon there's 10 serves in it. Unfortunately we won't eat half each (it really is huge), maybe a quarter. I had a carrot as a snack so I think I'll get 3.5 serves of veg in me today.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2018, 02:18:53 AM »
I went to the supermarket today and pears are $1/ kg so I got four. Rock melon was $2 a kilo so I also got one. So cheap!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2018, 02:45:29 AM »
I went to the supermarket today and pears are $1/ kg so I got four. Rock melon was $2 a kilo so I also got one. So cheap!
I bought myself a melon too! It is chopped up in my fridge and I have eaten several slices already. It is so gosh darned delicious at the moment. I also bought some blueberries which were rather more pricey... I should check a list of what's in season to make delicious purchases during our grocery shopping tomorrow.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »
I'm averaging slightly over 5 servings (total) per day. I do better on work days, as my work provides free meals & snacks, and that includes lots of produce. So, I'm obviously lazier at home & need to improve.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
Consistently getting one serve of fruit (raspberries with my granola in the morning) and five to six serves of veges. What's working for me is cooking meals in advance that are full of cooked veges (e.g. vegan chilli, tofu vege noodles, vege pasta sauce), and occasionally eating chopped up fresh veges as a snack.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »
Consistently getting one serve of fruit (raspberries with my granola in the morning) and five to six serves of veges. What's working for me is cooking meals in advance that are full of cooked veges (e.g. vegan chilli, tofu vege noodles, vege pasta sauce), and occasionally eating chopped up fresh veges as a snack.

I need to buy carrots to snack on. And my neighbour needs to stop bringing round cake. If I can make it a habit to snack on a carrot everyday that's a serve in the bag.

Lunch is where I am falling down. If I'm rushing I put tuna or turkey on bread and nothing else whereas I need to make a big crunchy and nutty salad like they make at this awesome place near me: http://spooningaustralia.com/mint-asian-salad-bar/. Today I'm ok, I had the last of my veg filled curry so I think that's about 2 veg serves done :)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
How many grapes = one serve of fruit I wondered this morning. So I weighed out 150g worth and it's 18 large grapes. That's a lot, I don't think I ever eat that many in a sitting.

Here's a pic: shortly after I transferred a few to hubby's bowl as this many would give me a sore belly!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2018, 04:14:06 PM »
I also weighed my rock melon (canteloupe). I think one melon = 4-6 serves. That's less than I thought. The one I've got has a very thick rind though so YMMV.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2018, 04:59:49 PM »
How many grapes = one serve of fruit I wondered this morning. So I weighed out 150g worth and it's 18 large grapes. That's a lot, I don't think I ever eat that many in a sitting.

Here's a pic: shortly after I transferred a few to hubby's bowl as this many would give me a sore belly!

I can eat a kilo of grapes in one sitting... BUT they don't cause tummy trouble for me.

I bet Baby Ewok would enjoy grapes (sliced in half for safety), yet another healthy treat we can enjoy together! Most afternoons we share a red capsicum.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2018, 05:11:21 AM »
Thanks to this challenge, I ate half a gorgeous tomato all to myself yesterday. I also tried cooking red lentils. They are delicious.

Today's fruit & veg:
Dried apricots, spinach, curried lentils, hummus, and I'm guessing the corn chips I ate don't count ;)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2018, 10:35:30 PM »
Today's saving grace is that a tin of baked beans is 2 serves of vegetables. Tonight's dinner is going to be roasted vegetables on a crunchy salad. Cubed pumpkin, kumara on lettuce with some sliced red onion and cranberries. I haven't decided on the protein to go with it yet, but we have mince and tins of beans.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2018, 10:39:36 PM »
I've been eating a raw carrot everyday as a snack. It's been an easy way to get the numbers up.

Hey your dinner sounds yum, AV. I've got loads of pumpkin so might join you. We've been meat free all week so I think I'll break out the sausages to go with it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »
I normally really struggle with fruit & vegetables when I travel for work. I did well last week, and ate lots of fresh fruit for breakfast & snacks. Vegetables were still hard, but I got a minimum of 4 servings (between the two)/day. A huge improvement over previous trips.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2018, 09:59:15 PM »
I normally really struggle with fruit & vegetables when I travel for work. I did well last week, and ate lots of fresh fruit for breakfast & snacks. Vegetables were still hard, but I got a minimum of 4 servings (between the two)/day. A huge improvement over previous trips.

Good for you! I have heard of people eating capsicums (bell peppers) whole, that could be an option when you don't have utensils and what not. Some people don't peel carrots but unless they are organic I'm not sure that's a great idea. A small tin of corn might work for a snack too. I'm away next week for a few days and it definitely will need some planning.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!