Author Topic: Eat 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit a day  (Read 39468 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Eat 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit a day
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2017, 02:34:19 AM »
Thanks to this thread I sliced a couple of carrots and a giant red capsicum today and munched my way through them while hanging out with a friend.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2017, 06:05:44 AM »
Thanks to this thread I sliced a couple of carrots and a giant red capsicum today and munched my way through them while hanging out with a friend.
I'm also finding this thread a great reminder!

I have had apple + sultanas on my oats every morning. Success! I've also had spinach with lunch & dinner the last few days. Apparently I was too ambitious in my goals, but this is an improvement. Tomorrow I have banana & pear to eat, and will be roasting sweet potato and carrot "fries" to go with my egg at lunch.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
Well done you two! I fell off the wagon in the second half of the week. Combine that with a very unsuccessful meal out last night (not my choice, it cost too much and I got sick) and I am back on it.

Even when I wasn't eating enough veg, I will say that this thread made sure I had some salad leaves handy that I could throw in a uninspired sandwich and onto the dinner plate. That wouldn't have happened two weeks ago.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 07:16:31 PM »
Well, I tried hard to have fruit for breakfast yesterday - I was trying pear and banana. The banana tasted underripe (despite the skin going brown and it having been on the bench all week) and so did the pear! Then it occurred to me I should probably check what's actually in season before I go shopping today. At any rate, I'll cook up the pears and banana so they don't go to waste.

Today's bulk cooking tasks to set us up for the week:
- Bake pear crumble (hopefully it tastes fine with olive oil instead of butter)
- Steam carrots and broccoli
- Blend hommus
- Fry up some chickpea & spinach patties
- Banana bread/pancakes

That should give us a fruit & veggie heavy start to the week. Fingers crossed I get through it all.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »
Pears don't travel well when ripe so I think they are pretty much sold rock hard everywhere and you need to wait a week. They do still seem quite cheap in the supermarket.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2017, 03:08:56 AM »
Pears don't travel well when ripe so I think they are pretty much sold rock hard everywhere and you need to wait a week. They do still seem quite cheap in the supermarket.
I had left them for a week - seems some were good, and some still hard. I picked the wrong one.

Today's bulk cooking tasks to set us up for the week:
- Bake pear crumble (hopefully it tastes fine with olive oil instead of butter)done
- Steam carrots and broccoli
- Blend hommusdone
- Fry up some chickpea & spinach pattiesdone, and delicious!
- Banana bread/pancakes

That should give us a fruit & veggie heavy start to the week. Fingers crossed I get through it all.
I've also:
- grocery shopped, keeping in mind to focus on fruit & veg. DH picked up some pricey mangoes and avocados. If this means he eats fruit & veg, I don't mind at all!
- washed the lettuce for the week.

I'm feeling on top of things, but I think I need to make more hommus & chickpea patties during a cooking session to properly cut down on effort in the kitchen. Still, very good compared to where we have been :D

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2017, 04:39:58 AM »
DH just ate 1/3 of the pear crumble by himself. I'm calling that a success!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2017, 10:57:35 PM »
So far today:
Breakfast: Pear crumble on my porridge (1 fruit)
Morning tea: 3 chickpea fritters/patties (1 veg)
Lunch: 1 chicken & salad bun plus a hash brown(3 veg)

I'm very impressed with my veg intake today. Not sure what afternoon tea or dinner are going to be yet, but I'm sure it will be yummy!

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »
Thank you for the inspiration!! I am stepping up my veggie and fruit intake starting immediately!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2017, 09:06:40 PM »
How is everyone doing? Got any tasty recipes to share, or changes you've made to your normal eating patterns?

I saw my dietician again yesterday and she was impressed with my veg intake (4 veg! 1 fruit! Every day!) My biggest wins were cooking up a load of easy veggie options at the start of the week for easy reheating, that could be eaten with several different meals (steamed veg, chickpea & spinach fritters). I used the steamed veg in buns with chicken/steak and omelette. I'm looking forward to all the delicious vegetables I'm going to buy tomorrow for the next bulk cook up :D

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 11:18:27 PM »
Ooh count me in.

I need to get back into the habit of preparing my fruit and veggies ahead of time. The only thing I'm diligent about is slicing and freezing bananas.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 04:57:46 AM »
I'm part of the local farmers CSA. Normally, I go to the CSA market each week and pick the standard veggies and fruit my family likes most. I was double-booked this week, so I asked my dad to go instead. He got all kinds of things I wouldn't normally get, and now I'm excited! I turned the big bunch of kale he picked up into kale chips last night for my work snack. Tonight, I have to decide what to do with a bunch of eggplant and a lonely turnip..... Open to suggestions!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 08:03:10 AM »
I'm in. I do well when I track my fruit & veggies, as it does cut out the room in my diet for carbs &/or unnecessary snacks. We have free fruit & veggies at work, so my goal is to fill up there, to reduce costs in our grocery budget. I'll eat at home on weekends. :-)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
I'm part of the local farmers CSA. Normally, I go to the CSA market each week and pick the standard veggies and fruit my family likes most. I was double-booked this week, so I asked my dad to go instead. He got all kinds of things I wouldn't normally get, and now I'm excited! I turned the big bunch of kale he picked up into kale chips last night for my work snack. Tonight, I have to decide what to do with a bunch of eggplant and a lonely turnip..... Open to suggestions!

I need eggplant ideas too!  I have two decent sized eggplants still on the plant - weather has been mild, and they're close to the house, so I'm hoping that they aren't totally frostbitten!  But complicating factors in choosing a recipe is a) I won't know if they're too old or frostbitten to be good until I cut into them and b) there's just one of me so I need to be able to freeze some.  I don't like eggplant quite enough to eat it all day every day for the next week!  :-P

Off to search recipes, will post back...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »
So I was awol there for a while but I'm back...!

I've had some not good days during the week but the bag of salad leaves has been excellent in keeping the veg intake up or in existence at all some days. I also bought a tub of coleslaw - not fabulously healthy but a tasty way to easily add half a cup of cabbage, onion and carrot to a meal.

This weekend I finally got the stick blender out and made a berry & weetbix smoothie for breakfast. Saturday lunch was a coleslaw sandwich (try it!) and avo/ricotta sandwich and dinner was a Thai beef stir fry with lots of veg.  Last night's dinner was a tuna nicoise salad (salad leaves, green beans, coleslaw, egg, tuna & bread).

Today so far I've had half a cup of blueberries on my oats and a coleslaw sandwich (seriously, try it!). It's unclear what is for dinner as I haven't made it to the supermarket for a proper shop in a while and I'm working late. Worst case scenario - egg and beans on toast, which is not actually that bad veg wise.

I saw on my Coles emails that pumpkin is still at rock bottom prices in Sydney. Lucky it's tasty! Brocolli is also cheap.

On Friday I tried out the imperfect picks section at Harris Farm Markets (not sure if it's a national chain). The prices were great, I got pears, onions and zucchini for about 1/3 off. The only problem is that you have to use a green plastic bag to differentiate what you have. I put all the things in one bag but I'll have to check (when I'm not in a rush) what the deal is if I don't want to use bags. It is good that they don't package them up in plastic wrap like Woolies and Coles though, and I can always use the bag for doggie pick up.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2017, 08:29:24 PM »
Did good this week (not great) but started most days with a salad for breakfast (2 veggie servings) and ended each day with a bowl of fruit (2 fruit servings). In addition, I made kale chips Thursday night to snack on at work on Friday, made delicious eggplant parmesan type thingy (pan fried eggplant with panko breadcrumb and shredded parmesan cheese and served it with marinara sauce, fresh mozzarella and pesto... So yummy...) on Saturday, and had veggie pizza on Sunday. I think I got 4 veggie and 2 fruit servings each day. Still room for progress!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2017, 08:42:17 PM »
My weekend was a bit rubbish. We did a big shop yesterday, though, so my morning is going to be spent preparing food. Washing salad, chopping some veg and cooking up some apple & pear crumble for breakfasts.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2017, 04:24:10 PM »
Made a double batch of Apple & pear crumble so that we have enough for both our breakfasts this week. I would never have thought of it as an addition to my morning oats except for this thread!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
Made a double batch of Apple & pear crumble so that we have enough for both our breakfasts this week. I would never have thought of it as an addition to my morning oats except for this thread!

Are you making crumble with a traditional crumble topping or a quick cheat like my one I described? It sounds like a great breakfast.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2017, 04:33:53 PM »

Are you making crumble with a traditional crumble topping or a quick cheat like my one I described? It sounds like a great breakfast.
A sort of traditional topping - I used this recipe, because it's easier for me to make a big batch than cut up a piece of fruit every morning:
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/apple-pear-crumble/ce7638d0-60d4-48e2-b9cf-bbb6645da329
I sub olive oil for the butter, brown sugar for the vanillin sugar and skipped the maple syrup this week. Delicious!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »

A sort of traditional topping - I used this recipe, because it's easier for me to make a big batch than cut up a piece of fruit every morning:
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/apple-pear-crumble/ce7638d0-60d4-48e2-b9cf-bbb6645da329
I sub olive oil for the butter, brown sugar for the vanillin sugar and skipped the maple syrup this week. Delicious!

That looks great. I would definitely skip the syrup if I was having it for breakfast. And probably for pudding too, come to think of it because I'd use sweet apples and ripe pears.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »
I ended up with a horribly uncomfortable stomach (bloating, ugh) over the weekend, so I'm giving up bread this week to see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll reintroduce bread next week and go off dairy.

Either way, it ties in well with this challenge, so bring on the veggies.

Breakfast: spinach and cheese omelette, banana smoothie.
Lunch: chicken and broccoli.
Snack: banana, apple.
Dinner: no idea, have a work function.

Based on this list, I need to increase my intake of veggies over fruit. I should replace one piece of fruit with carrot sticks, and add veggies to my smoothie.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »
I never ever weigh myself, but I did last week so I could weigh the dog by holding him. I'm 2kg heavier than I've ever known myself to be. That explains the tight jeans. I'm hoping that this thread (and giving up chocolate in front of the tv) will help 2-3kg fall away without too much thought and without more exercise. So far no change, if anything my jeans are tighter than when I started!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2017, 10:50:56 PM »
I made this veggie lasagne yesterday.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/pumpkin-spinach-lentil-lasagne/b156ffa7-dfa7-4dd9-a14a-4c76f1d6fedd

It's delish, even though I forgot to buy ricotta and used yoghurt. And used salad leaves instead of plain spinach. It's mainly lentils, pumpkin & tomato. Lentil based pasta dishes are a really good way to get the veggies up if you have mainly sauce & don't go to hard on the pasta itself. And lentils keep forever in the pantry so are always on hand.

I burnt it a bit but it's done me for lunch and dinner tonight as well.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:53:21 PM by Fresh Bread »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »
Oh my gosh FB, that's not burnt, it's perfectly caramelised!

I'm in, hoping that seeing this thread pop up will guilt me into eating more fruit and veggies.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2017, 02:26:36 AM »
DH and I ate 1kg of apples & 1kg of pears this week - that's an impressive amount for us this year! I just blended some banana "ice-cream", which I'm hoping will be OK for dessert. I have a date caramel sauce recipe to try out too (yes sugar =/= healthy, but one step at a time!)

I've got spinach & chickpea fritters to cook up tonight - if this sounds repetitive, it's because it is! We've found repetition to be really useful at the moment. This time I'm making a bigger batch and will probably throw some broccoli in too, and then will freeze some of them. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing just what we need from the grocery store, because I'm confident we're mostly buying veggies!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:29:49 AM by Anatidae V »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2017, 03:01:47 AM »

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/pumpkin-spinach-lentil-lasagne/b156ffa7-dfa7-4dd9-a14a-4c76f1d6fedd

It's delish, even though I forgot to buy ricotta and used yoghurt. And used salad leaves instead of plain spinach. It's mainly lentils, pumpkin & tomato. Lentil based pasta dishes are a really good way to get the veggies up if you have mainly sauce & don't go to hard on the pasta itself. And lentils keep forever in the pantry so are always on hand.

Marty and I can recommend this one too! I made it when he was here for dinner once.

Try it with the ricotta next time. So good.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2017, 05:50:21 AM »
Good to see people going for this. For me, I cook for the family (wife, 6yo and 1yo), and it's always a pain trying to compromise between taste, what can be set aside for wife's work lunch, and what the kids will eat. So I try to sort myself out during the day.

For lunch I'll have a piece of steak, fish or chicken, and with it two cups of frozen mixed vegies - that's 4 serves of vegies. As a male I'm supposed to get 6 but it's 2/3 of the way there, at least, so long as we have vegies at dinner I should be fine - and dinner is often a pasta sauce with diced tomato as its base, or a curry with vegies in it, so another 1 cup of vegies should get into me somehow.

As for the fruit, for five days a week at 4pm I'm into the garage (gym business), I take two pieces then as an afternoon snack, and to keep me going until dinner at 6pm.

With that approach, on 5 days a week I hit the targets, and 5/7 is 72% which is a pass mark, right? Usually the fruit is an easier target for me to hit than the vegies, even on the non-garage days because I don't have to be creative with recipes.

Once I hit my 40s my digestion slowed down, I'd get reflux from time to time. Focusing on the fruit and vegies seems to make things flow through better, so to speak.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »

Marty and I can recommend this one too! I made it when he was here for dinner once.

+1, her pumpkin spinach dish was delish!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2017, 10:47:58 PM »
Lunch today was a wrap with chickpeas, spinach, lettuce & chicken. 3 veg down! Because of this challenge, we could walk to the local IGA & butchers instead of having to go to the big supermarket - such a more pleasant way to spend our weekend.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
Nice one AV. I've had one and a bit veg so far - avo & scrambled egg w onion.

I have had that lasagne above with the proper ingredients before, it's v tasty. Hubby didn't realise til halfway through on Thurs that it had no meat in! I bought some ricotta & pasatta  today so I'll repeat this in the week. If I chop the veg in the morning it's not too bad to put together on a week night.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »
Nice one AV. I've had one and a bit veg so far - avo & scrambled egg w onion.

I have had that lasagne above with the proper ingredients before, it's v tasty. Hubby didn't realise til halfway through on Thurs that it had no meat in! I bought some ricotta & pasatta  today so I'll repeat this in the week. If I chop the veg in the morning it's not too bad to put together on a week night.

I was a bit tempted not to tell husband about the lentils till after he'd eaten and enjoyed it, but he was surprisingly open to it, and loved the final product.

Do you saute the onion before adding it to your eggs?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2017, 12:37:17 AM »
Do you saute the onion before adding it to your eggs?

Would normally but this was spring onion (shallots?)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2017, 12:35:58 PM »
I fall totally off track when I travel for work. It's hard to get enough fresh fruit & vegetables, and the airport/plane meals don't make this easy. I had two 30 hour travel days (San Francisco to Singapore, through various other airports on the way), & everything just falls apart when I'm traveling for work. But, I'm back now & ready to recharge my healthier eating.

I also need to find a way to sort this for future work trips, as I have two more international trips on the horizon. :-(

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »
I've been bad at this too but without a good reason! I think I am too used to not buying fruit and veg and then when I do and eat it all it's like this extra chore? I've completely fallen off the weight watchers wagon, too, sigh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2017, 07:11:31 PM »
I'm having a lot of success with eating the same thing every week. We've got almost no food waste this week and my fridge is pretty bare, but the plenty to eat because it's already cooked up and tomorrow is grocery day. Apparently I don't need a lot of variety, but I do need my food to be completely prepared to eat (out just chuck on to cook) before Monday morning.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2017, 05:43:31 AM »
I am more a veggie person than a fruit person. I do like Bananas however and softer fruit so Every day I make for the family a huge tossed salad with loads of different Veggies and a Fruit Salad. The base of my fruit salad is always a can of Chunked pineapple with the juice since its good for you and mandarin oranges without the juice since not so good for you. Then i mix in what ever is on sale. Lately its been a mix of green and red grapes. The kids wolf the salads and the fruit salad down and i scoop out the fruit, toss yogurt on it and that helps me get the fruit.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2017, 06:00:34 AM »
The weekend wasn't a huge success, but we did manage to eat up the remains of the cooked vegetables yesterday and I got our grocery shopping done. Oh, we also managed to roast some veggies. The butternut pumpkin turned out so soft that I basically used it as a spread on my bread at dinner tonight, which was great with poached eggs and lettuce! I'm going to add a little bit of caramelised onions tomorrow, which should be very delicious.

Strawberries were beautiful today, and it seems like nectarines are back in the shops - one of my favourite fruits!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »

+1, her pumpkin spinach dish was delish!

Made this again yesterday, and brought a small portion for lunch today with a serve of broccoli.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2017, 07:56:47 AM »
In the US, you can get 10 oz frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, mango, peaches) at Dollar Tree for $1.  That is 3 servings. 
This morning I had oatmeal with a bag of blueberries, ground flaxseed and chia seed and some walnuts.
This is in response to an old comment, but the Daily Dozen recommends B12 pills because it is assuming you are vegan.  Although, for some reason (I don't know why) a large amount of older American meat eaters are deficient, also.  Obviously, if you eat meat it is less important.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2017, 10:23:54 PM »
Banana with breakfast; spinach, potato, cauliflower, broccoli and leek with lunch, and half a large punnet of strawberries about 30 seconds ago.

I don't think it would quite amount to a full "serve" of each but I'm loving the variety.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2017, 12:07:28 AM »
I've got nectarines for me this week and apricots for DH. Patiently waiting for the price of cherries to drop as we approach Christmas.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2017, 03:56:37 AM »
Mangoes are hitting the sweet price point now, Aldi has them at $1.75 or something each. I still haven't bought any and have been having a lot of frozen berries. I'm hoping our passionfruit in the garden will be ready soon, there's loads.

Tonight we had the lentil, pumpkin and ricotta lasagne AGAIN. I use kale instead of spinach because that's what we grow. It's good for lunch and dinner tomorrow too, so - winning.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2017, 03:50:35 PM »
I had a crappy week last week, so didn't get to cook much or eat many veg. This week is off to a great start, though - we grocery shopped on Saturday so we had Sunday to prep food. Yesterday I stir fried onions and capsicum in the frypan after cooking steak, and the juices made it divine. I also bought some mini Turkish breads, which are delicious with some egg, spinach and caramelised onion!

The big tray of crumble is still working well for us, so this week I added pepitas to the crumble part for a little more nutrition.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »
I've had a lot more time than usual to prepare, so I'm doing well. Also, it's pomegranate season, & I love the seeds! I eat them constantly, although they are not super frugal.

For tonight, I'm using up the Thanksgiving leftovers (turkey + roasted potatoes) & have added onions, celery & tomatoes to make a big pot of turkey soup. Will serve with salad. Yum!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »
I've had a lot more time than usual to prepare, so I'm doing well. Also, it's pomegranate season, & I love the seeds! I eat them constantly, although they are not super frugal.

For tonight, I'm using up the Thanksgiving leftovers (turkey + roasted potatoes) & have added onions, celery & tomatoes to make a big pot of turkey soup. Will serve with salad. Yum!

You've reminded me that it's also approaching optimal pomelo season.  Must start watching out for them in the flyers. 

Interesting note - I don't like grapefruit, but I just found out that grapefruits are actually a cross between pomelos and naval oranges.  Hmm!  Weird, eh?  Also, if you're supposed to avoid grapefruit because of the interaction with certain medications, then you should also avoid pomelos.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
That's so funny that you like pomelo but not grapefruit - they are interchangeable to me! But then again, we might get slightly different varieties.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2017, 02:04:53 PM »
That's so funny that you like pomelo but not grapefruit - they are interchangeable to me! But then again, we might get slightly different varieties.

Maybe we do.  Also, people do taste things differently - so for example, when I ate meat, I actually liked liver, which many people don't, and didn't particularly like chicken or turkey, which most people do.  And before I became vegetarian, there were very few vegetables I liked - a fact which caused considerable concern to my mother when I first stopped eating meat!  Though I've taught myself to like a lot more vegetables since then.

In this instance, I'm super sensitive to the bitterness of grapefruit - even a juice blend with only some grapefruit in it is usually not appealing.  But I don't find pomelo to be bitter, as long as I peel the membranes off.  Bonus of pomelo is that it takes quite a long time to pick it all apart, so I can sit on the couch watching TV, with half a pomelo on a plate, and it keeps my hands busy enough that I don't go searching for higher calorie/fat snack options!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2017, 04:59:07 AM »
Today's dinner is steamed peas, carrot and broccoli, plus lettuce and hummus, in a wrap with chicken. Lunch was pretty similar. I'm not sure I ate enough volume, but the variety is there. Plus a glass of apple juice for fruit :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2017, 05:08:05 PM »
Just got back from a business trip, and definitely didn't do well at this. Need to recommit again. It's all too easy to eat unhealthy carb/fat/sugar healthy stuff while traveling.