Author Topic: Dry January 2024  (Read 4135 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Dry January 2024
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2024, 08:07:13 AM »
I've also had the idea of a glass of wine with dinner float in my head.  Then I remember this is Dry January and it floats out again.  Last night I cooked with wine, and just put the wine bottle back in the fridge.  Didn't even think of pouring a glass.  So that is coming along.

Carbs is harder.  When I first went low carb and gluten-free, over 20 years ago, there were not all the gluten-free substitutes available that there are now, so I got used to no pasta, and very little to no rice and potatoes.  Those had all crept into my diet.  They are gone.  Sugar - a bit in fruit is fine, I am not eating a lot of fruit.  I've cut my sugar in tea by half.  In another week or 2 my taste buds will have fully adjusted and I will cut it back again.  My HbA1C was high at my last blood test and I want it back to normal (or at least to the slightly elevated pre-diabetic levels it has been at for the last 20 years).

So I am cheering everyone on - we can do this!   happy our livers must be, no more detoxifying this poison.

halfling

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2024, 08:37:15 AM »
I've been all dried out since Jan 2. I've enjoyed DD'ing for friends the last couple weeks.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2024, 04:04:41 AM »
DW commented yesterday that it would be significantly harder for me to stop eating sugar than it has been to stop drinking alcohol and suggested I try a sugar free February. She quickly revised that to just granular sugar.

She had found my stache of peanut M&Ms in the car. Which I immediately inhaled when she brought them in. It was a sharing size and I did give her three so that’s sharing.

I think she revised to granular sugar because she doesn’t want me to eat separately and she doesn’t want to house honey and maple syrup and molasses or to restrict fruit sugars.

I think if I did sugar free I’d need to drink wine in Shabbat and I might need to exclude my homemade seltzer because it has sugar.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2024, 04:58:35 AM »
What about alcohol free wine, or just juice? Seems like there must be some alternative to sugar water or alcohol for Shabbat.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2024, 06:00:26 AM »
I started my “dry January” in November when I suspected beer/wine as the culprit of poor sleep and increased allergy symptoms. With friends visiting over the holidays and some good beer and wine in the fridge, I’ve been tempted more than once. I like the flavors!! But so far I’ve held off and both sleeping and overall-itching are much improved.

Next I have to ditch chocolate since that is a huge sleep disruptor for me too. At this point, I’m getting better about limiting it to the morning and sometimes during the day on the weekend (those mint chocolate cookies in the fridge are hard to bypass and are deeeeeelicious).

My birthday is next week and my spouse makes a chocolate stout cake with chocolate ganache icing so I suspect sleep will be minimal the next week. 😂😂. It is only an annual indulgence. I won’t let her make it any other time of year — keeps it special!

Anyway, hope folks are doing well with their dry Jan challenge.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2024, 06:23:05 AM »
Predictably, like always, once I hit the 3 week mark of no sugar, sugary items no longer look terribly appealing. This is why I always do 6 weeks, it takes 3 weeks for sugar to stop looking delicious and then another 3 weeks to really solidify that.

Since quitting alcohol, I really do hate having cravings and feeling addicted to anything. It pisses me off, so I'm happy to be off of sugar again, because I hate cravings.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2024, 02:08:01 AM »
Last weekend of January coming up!

The no alcohol part has become totally automatic for me.  I had a solid foundation for that from last year and it's been a total non-issue this month, after cutting down to very occasional consumption of wine last year.  I am planning to remain alcohol free in February and then probably do what I did last year - have a glass of wine on special days like birthdays of family members...

As to sugar, I am still doing fine not eating sweets, candy, cookies etc.  Mind you, I'm not following a low carb diet so I'm eating fruit, bread, pasta and other starchy foods.  But I am pleased to have eliminated sweet snacks.  I THINK I'm feeling better overall.  I saw a significant difference last year after eliminating alcohol (better sleep, better mood, joint inflammation gone).  It seems more subtle with the sugar.  For one, my back is finally feeling great.  And my sleep seems even better.  But that maybe due to yoga practice which I have been doing fairly regularly for the last couple of months?

I would like to loose some weight as I am now officially overweight - but it seems almost impossible with menopause... Maybe I'll focus more on that in February.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2024, 04:33:02 AM »
I'm doing well on no sugar, although I had powerful cravings last night due to hormonal stuff that's going on, so I had pizza instead, which was awesome.

I live half the year where I can't get edible pizza at least once a month while I'm in the city.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2024, 06:29:32 AM »
I'm in the dry January (and low processed carb January) to get my blood glucose down and stable.  So definitely in for February and March as well, HbA1C shows blood glucose for the previous 3 months.

The fact that I am slowly but consistently losing weight is a great bonus. 

halfling

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2024, 12:32:41 PM »
What about alcohol free wine, or just juice? Seems like there must be some alternative to sugar water or alcohol for Shabbat.

I looove one of the de-alcoholized cabernet that my local wine shop sells. My Mormon friend was like, "isn't that just grape juice?" LOL, fair, but no. It's very dry, and has that funky fermentation flavor that I love. However, some of the non-alcoholic specialty stuff I have tried has been vile. I have learned to avoid anything that promises a smoked flavor.

Kombucha has been big in our house this month too.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2024, 10:38:55 PM »
Last day of January!  How did the Dry January go for all of you?

To be honest, the no-alcohol part was not really challenging for me, which makes me very very happy.  Not that I struggled that much last year, but this year I was not even thinking about drinking.  The plan is to continue and have a dry February as well.

As to no sugar?  Well, my partner asked me to bake banana bread as we had a bunch of bananas that were turning brown.  So I did last weekend.  And couldn't really resist eating some of it over the last couple of days...  Oh well, overall, I'm still pleased with the very significant reduction I was able to achieve.

Next goal is losing some weight, so I think I'll join that thread for February :-)

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2024, 12:40:33 AM »
I've gone most months of my adulthood not drinking, so this wasn't hard for me, but I was surprised to have gotten through it without pouring the Christmas bourbon and vodka down the drain. It was like once I said, I'm in, it was out of my mind.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2024, 04:15:27 AM »
A shake up in one Friday night meal and we did the kiddish late. I took a sip of wine. My first dry January challenge is a technical failure, but I feel better generally and am motivated to remove other toxins from my diet. I’m looking at coffee and refined sugar.

Sugar free February?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2024, 05:28:30 AM »
A shake up in one Friday night meal and we did the kiddish late. I took a sip of wine. My first dry January challenge is a technical failure, but I feel better generally and am motivated to remove other toxins from my diet. I’m looking at coffee and refined sugar.

Sugar free February?

I LOVE being coffee free, probably even moreso than alcohol free.

I loved wine, but coffee felt like lifeblood. Once I kicked alcohol, I despised feeling so addicted to coffee and have really enjoyed being free of what felt like a death grip. The adjustment to no coffee was also harsh as hell compared to cutting out alcohol.

It's also why I like to cut sugar whenever I find I've developed a sweet tooth. The experience of cravings is very off-putting for me now.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2024, 06:29:53 AM »
The alcohol was as easy as expected.

Processed starches were also easy.  I went through the pantry and pulled out everything, boxed it up and put the box away.  I did low carb/gluten free for years before all these gluten free pastas and things were available so going back to that was fairly easy.  Also cut way back on potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Sugar.  Well no honey this month.  Honey is actually a high fructose food so definitely avoiding it for a while.  I cut back by half on sugar in tea.  I read somewhere that a bit of salt cuts the bitterness in coffee and tea, and it does.  Weird.

My taste buds are adjusting.  I had clementines for fruit and vitamin C - after breakfast they tasted nice but not amazing.  I had one after lunch and it was sooo sweet.  Too sweet.  Not buying them again.

I'm in this for 3 months, until I do the blood work for my HbA1C. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2024, 07:41:55 AM »

To be honest, the no-alcohol part was not really challenging for me, which makes me very very happy.  Not that I struggled that much last year, but this year I was not even thinking about drinking.  The plan is to continue and have a dry February as well.

As to no sugar?  Well, my partner asked me to bake banana bread as we had a bunch of bananas that were turning brown.  So I did last weekend.  And couldn't really resist eating some of it over the last couple of days...  Oh well, overall, I'm still pleased with the very significant reduction I was able to achieve.

Next goal is losing some weight, so I think I'll join that thread for February :-)

Could you share the brand of that non-alcoholic cabernet?  Thank you.

Dibbels81

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2024, 09:12:20 AM »
In. I've been a moderate, likely heavy drinker for 20+ years (~3 beers or glasses of wine daily). I rarely ever drink to the point of getting drunk, and my overall health is good, though I'm sure the effects of daily drinking will catch up to me eventually (age currently 42). I've been drink-free since Christmas day already--no huge changes noted aside from improved sleep. Short-term goal is to drop 20 lbs. Long-term goal is to eliminate daily drinking. I like wine way too much to become a teetotaler. Will be sugar-free this month too! Down ~2 pounds this past week.

Success! I feel...fine? No change in daily energy level. I used to be susceptible to stress/anxiety dreams, which I now realize was alcohol related, as those have disappeared the past month. However, now I'm more prone to getting up to take a #1 during the night, likely due to the non-presence of dehydrating alcohol in my system. Go figure. I've been sugar-free too, and probably in ketosis for the majority of the month. Weight loss is around 7 pounds. BMI is hovering at near-normal limit.

I think drinking is my way of alleviating the mild tedium of daily life rather than addiction. I've got the chubby gene, and constantly fight the urge to cram something down my throat. Going forward, I'm going to limit drinking to social occasions only. I've got 10 lbs to go. Thanks for the fun.

the lorax

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2024, 06:12:32 PM »
Other than a small glass of sour to celebrate the start of nearly two weeks off work, I had no booze in Jan. I didn't notice much of a difference health-wise, I have lost 1.5kg but that could be the extra walking I"ve been doing (trying to average 6000 steps a day going on walks with my son)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2024, 10:13:05 AM »
Not really a drinker, but following this challenge weirdly made me think about alcohol more. Strange.

Next up: Pantry cleanout challenge.

I think I'll save the sugar until March.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2024, 02:53:05 PM »

Could you share the brand of that non-alcoholic cabernet?  Thank you.

I think you meant to quote @halfling instead of yourself......darn wine! ;)

halfling

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2024, 11:08:58 AM »
Haha, thanks @2Birds1Stone -- unfortunately, I tossed the bottle and haven't restocked, but I'll look for it next time I'm at the shop!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2024, 07:07:53 PM »
I had A LOT of sugar today for the first time since 2023.

It was a birthday party at my in-laws' and there was no way to not have cake without political fallout. So I had the damn cake AND some lemon meringue pie, because it's one of my favourites.

I felt like I had been hit by a train. Within minutes I was so ill that I was very happy it was late enough for me to be able to go home.

So yeah, after that I'm extremely happy to go another good length without sugar. The thought of it right now is revolting.

If this is anything like last time, it could be a few years before I can tolerate it again, which is fine by me.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2024, 08:27:58 PM »

It was a birthday party at my in-laws' and there was no way to not have cake without political fallout. So I had the damn cake AND some lemon meringue pie, because it's one of my favourites.

I felt like I had been hit by a train. Within minutes I was so ill that I was very happy it was late enough for me to be able to go home.

So yeah, after that I'm extremely happy to go another good length without sugar. The thought of it right now is revolting.

If this is anything like last time, it could be a few years before I can tolerate it again, which is fine by me.

Yikes.

This makes me happy/relieved I'm gluten intolerant and pre-diabetic  and everyone accepts that.   I could have had the pie filling, which would still have pushed the limits of how much sugar I want.  The cake and pie crust are totally off limits.

Your DH needs to train his family better.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2024, 08:47:09 PM »

Yikes.

This makes me happy/relieved I'm gluten intolerant and pre-diabetic  and everyone accepts that.   I could have had the pie filling, which would still have pushed the limits of how much sugar I want.  The cake and pie crust are totally off limits.

Oh, they made gluten free versions of EVERY dessert there.

Some in-laws are better to handle through containment rather than conflict. And that's coming from someone who enjoys conflict, lol.

There have been not one, but TWO books written by DH's relatives about how fucked up their family interpersonal dynamics have been for generations.

I'll uh...stick to occasionally getting a bad tummy ache from eating the cake once every year or two.

Not my monkeys, not my circus.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2024, 06:22:32 AM »

Yikes.

Oh, they made gluten free versions of EVERY dessert there.

Some in-laws are better to handle through containment rather than conflict. And that's coming from someone who enjoys conflict, lol.

There have been not one, but TWO books written by DH's relatives about how fucked up their family interpersonal dynamics have been for generations.

I'll uh...stick to occasionally getting a bad tummy ache from eating the cake once every year or two.

Not my monkeys, not my circus.

Well at least they do gluten-free.

Gluten-free can be just as bad for the carbs (sugar and starch) as regular, depending on the ingredients.

I'm glad all you have is a tummy-ache.  My gut would be much unhappier.  Well my gut would be OK if I ate gluten-free desserts, my blood sugar would not be.   

Oh to be 20 and not worrying about any of this!

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2024, 01:17:20 PM »

Processed starches were also easy.  I went through the pantry and pulled out everything, boxed it up and put the box away.  I did low carb/gluten free for years before all these gluten free pastas and things were available so going back to that was fairly easy.  Also cut way back on potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Sugar.  Well no honey this month.  Honey is actually a high fructose food so definitely avoiding it for a while.  I cut back by half on sugar in tea.  I read somewhere that a bit of salt cuts the bitterness in coffee and tea, and it does.  Weird.

My taste buds are adjusting.  I had clementines for fruit and vitamin C - after breakfast they tasted nice but not amazing.  I had one after lunch and it was sooo sweet.  Too sweet.  Not buying them again.

Interesting about the salt.  I'd heard that for grapefruit, and can confirm salt works there.  But I'd never heard it suggested for coffee or tea before.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2024, 01:57:04 PM »

Interesting about the salt.  I'd heard that for grapefruit, and can confirm salt works there.  But I'd never heard it suggested for coffee or tea before.

I know, eh?  I don't put salt on my tomatoes, I know lots of people do. But I am now putting salt in my tea.

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2024, 11:22:34 PM »
Still haven't drank. At this point I think I'm putting off at least until after my next audition, meaning two more weeks from now.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2024, 09:02:26 AM »
Last night I had a glass of wine at a crafting meetup at a local winery I hadn't visited before.  6 weeks dry.  Continuing with no alcohol in the home, and aiming for 1 drink per week or less at social outings.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2024, 07:08:56 PM »
I did damp January (only drank at a few social functions). I had started drinking more during Covid, and was hoping to slow it down. Something clicked, and now I’m into damp February and have really lost most of my desire to imbibe. It’s awesome. I think maybe this is a habit that is gonna stick.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2024, 05:35:23 AM »
I have had one beer at a brewery and then switched to Diet Coke. I was just not interested in another beer. Maybe I’ll remember to try a tasting flight if I find myself at a brewery again.
I had a sip of wine last Friday also but the wine was not one I liked so I stopped drinking it.

Oh. I also put a tablespoon of chartruese in my seltzer one night and that was fine. So three drinks in 9. Which seems like quite a bit really.

I have had only one ice cream novelty in the same time period. I have been contested though so my general discomfort may be effecting my consumption choices.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2024, 12:14:14 AM »
Continuing alcohol-free into February.   And it looks like March should easily be alcohol-free as well.  I will be vising Daughter and her BF in Houston for 3 weeks and will miss birthdays of two close family members (I would normally have a glass or two wine to celebrate).  Daughter and her BF hardly drink alcohol and I'm planning to enjoy all the flavored seltzer I can lay my hands on while I'm in the US.

I used to be a wine drinker but have developed a liking for alcohol-free beer over the last year, so I will usually have one or two on the weekends when I'm at home.  I'm generally not into sweet beverages so when I stopped drinking wine last year, I was struggling to find something I could have from time to time.  Flavored seltzers (which I like a lot) are not a thing where I live, so I tried the 0.0% beer and it turned out that it was great: refreshing, just the right amount of carbonation and bitterness.  So that's my drink of choice recently :-)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2024, 05:52:00 AM »
Continuing alcohol-free into February.   And it looks like March should easily be alcohol-free as well.  I will be vising Daughter and her BF in Houston for 3 weeks and will miss birthdays of two close family members (I would normally have a glass or two wine to celebrate).  Daughter and her BF hardly drink alcohol and I'm planning to enjoy all the flavored seltzer I can lay my hands on while I'm in the US.

I used to be a wine drinker but have developed a liking for alcohol-free beer over the last year, so I will usually have one or two on the weekends when I'm at home.  I'm generally not into sweet beverages so when I stopped drinking wine last year, I was struggling to find something I could have from time to time.  Flavored seltzers (which I like a lot) are not a thing where I live, so I tried the 0.0% beer and it turned out that it was great: refreshing, just the right amount of carbonation and bitterness.  So that's my drink of choice recently :-)

This was my issue when I quit drinking wine. It drove me nuts to go out to a nice restaurant and not have a beverage option other than water.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2024, 05:40:32 AM »

This was my issue when I quit drinking wine. It drove me nuts to go out to a nice restaurant and not have a beverage option other than water.

I don’t know if this is true where you are, but wow, has there been a shift in restaurants here recently. Pretty much all of them offer alcohol-free beverages, and not just one shitty token one, either. My stepdaughter really appreciated it when she was recently pregnant. Great evolution.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2024, 05:48:20 AM »

I don’t know if this is true where you are, but wow, has there been a shift in restaurants here recently. Pretty much all of them offer alcohol-free beverages, and not just one shitty token one, either. My stepdaughter really appreciated it when she was recently pregnant. Great evolution.

For sure, most places do, but it pisses me off when they don't.

itsallgood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2024, 09:06:10 AM »
It's been easier for me to give up wine at a nice restaurant dinner when I look at the prices....$18 for a 4 ounce glass of wine...no thanks

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2024, 10:18:41 AM »
It's been easier for me to give up wine at a nice restaurant dinner when I look at the prices....$18 for a 4 ounce glass of wine...no thanks

lol, true, it's been so long for me since I paid for alcohol, I was looking at a drinks list at a moderately fancy restaurant not too long ago and was like "WTF???"

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2024, 12:46:08 PM »
I decided to make one exception between now and my next audition and had a couple drinks at a party last weekend. Had a delightfully good time and feel meaningfully more closely bonded with some of my newer friends I'm still in the process of getting to know. I tend to like to be in bed early, but there's something to be said for spending time together late at night with a little disinhibition juice in the system.

I definitely appreciate practicing some dry periods to recalibrate my disposition towards drinking, but enjoying a night like that makes me think the ideal amount of drinking, for me, is definitely somewhere above 0.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2024, 09:59:04 PM »
Got some alcohol-free sparkling wine for Valentine's Day and it was surprisingly good.  Refreshing and just the right amount of carbonation.  And made me feel festive.  Would definitely do it again, unlike another alcohol free wine I tried last year.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2024, 04:07:20 AM »
Went out for a Valentine's dinner with DW and I ordered a spirit free cocktail, thinking this hip place would be making tasty things.  It wasn't good.  I forget what the spirit free tequila was, but the drink was just grapefruit with a little extra bitter.  Having dealt with a sick child this week, it was just another thing that made me think of vomit. I should have gone for the alcohol free beer on offer.

DW likes to drink, the intoxication seems to be something she wants. I am not sure how to handle the mismatch in inhibitions if I continue to avoid drinking.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2024, 04:34:26 AM »
Got some alcohol-free sparkling wine for Valentine's Day and it was surprisingly good.  Refreshing and just the right amount of carbonation.  And made me feel festive.  Would definitely do it again, unlike another alcohol free wine I tried last year.

This is my favourite. We went out for Valentine's Day and brought sparkling rose with us. We get charged a stupidly high corking fee, but it's maybe a few times a year, and it adds a lot of fun to the event because we were always big champagne drinkers for special occasions.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2024, 04:36:43 AM »
Went out for a Valentine's dinner with DW and I ordered a spirit free cocktail, thinking this hip place would be making tasty things.  It wasn't good.  I forget what the spirit free tequila was, but the drink was just grapefruit with a little extra bitter.  Having dealt with a sick child this week, it was just another thing that made me think of vomit. I should have gone for the alcohol free beer on offer.

DW likes to drink, the intoxication seems to be something she wants. I am not sure how to handle the mismatch in inhibitions if I continue to avoid drinking.

That is *definitely* tricky. My tolerance for being around drunk people is close to zero since I quit drinking. Thankfully my DH quit in solidarity. He only drinks when out with his BFF without me and has a 2 drink max.

It would be unpleasant for me to be around him drunk regularly, so yeah, I can see how that's a tricky situation to navigate.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2024, 02:33:23 PM »
Today is the last day of February.  Anyone still in for March?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2024, 03:43:18 PM »
I’ll be continuing with Damp March.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2024, 12:06:31 AM »
Since I don't really drink, it doesn't count for much, but I'm happy to hang around for moral support, if needed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 09:59:17 AM by Dicey »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2024, 06:49:27 AM »
Since I don't really drink, it doesn't count for much, but i'm happy to hang around for moral support, if needed.

I'm not much of a drinker and January and February were easy.  It is more to remind me not to have that very occasional drink.  And the big chalenge is the no processed starches, very low sugar add-on.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what my HbA1C is at the end of March.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2024, 10:03:49 AM »
Since I don't really drink, it doesn't count for much, but I'm happy to hang around for moral support, if needed.

I'm not much of a drinker and January and February were easy.  It is more to remind me not to have that very occasional drink.  And the big chalenge is the no processed starches, very low sugar add-on.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what my HbA1C is at the end of March.
Funny, in January, I thought about booze a lot. I did the February Pantry/Freezer challenge and I didn't think about booze at all, despite the fact that there's a fair amount of it stored in my pantry. Our house even came with a wine fridge! Most of what we have has been gifted or leftover from events. The glaring exception would be my two 1.75 liter bottles of Vodka/Vanilla, which I do use in baking. Fortunately, I did none of that in January.