Author Topic: Drive Less Challenge  (Read 2453 times)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
Drive Less Challenge
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »
I'm going to try to NOT drive my car as much as possible. Since Google stalks me I was able to go into my "Timeline" on google maps and see how many miles I drove this month (I added today and tomorrow's commute as well) and I totaled 632.7 miles driven this month.

My plan is to either bike or take the bus to work every day that I can. There will only be a couple days that I need to drive but other than that I should be able to bike (hopefully the weather cools off) or take the bus. Both options take about an hour where as my driving time is about 30 mins.

My motivation is to;
Reduce my carbon foot print
Get more exercise (when I bike)
Read more (when I take the bus)
Maybe save a little money, though this will be fairly small since I need to buy a $55 bus pass and I typically spend about $60-75 on gas a month

I'll set my mileage goal to 25% of this month (158 miles)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
Re: Drive Less Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:11:14 PM »
I'll join in.  My clown car commuting in August - 2076 kilometres.

I'm going to try commuting by train hopefully by the middle of September.  Therefore I hope to commute by car under 1000 kilometres. 

Facepunch me know.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:26:54 PM »
I値l join in. I致e been getting lazier and using my car more often- I壇 like to cut down for similar reasons.

- reduce carbon footprint
- enjoy a more relaxing commute
- remove temptation to grab lunch or coffee out
- appreciate the changing seasons

My August mileage total was 378, and roughly the same the month before. I知 going to cap my  mileage at 75  for September. I really have no excuse not to meet that goal- I知 even traveling an entire week for work.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 07:01:23 AM »
Welcome Nola584 and middo good luck on your goals! I'll be getting my bus pass tomorrow and figuring out which days next week to ride the bike vs the bus. More biking would be best but I will probably start out with twice a week at first.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:58:31 AM »
Mileage running total

9/1 - 0
9/2 - 0
9/3 - 0
9/4 - 0 so far today

My car has been sitting unmoved in my driveway since last Friday :) I took the bus to work today. There is only 1 bus an hour to get to my work and I missed the one that would get me there by 8 so I ended up getting to work at 9ish. Oh well, I have a flexible schedule so no big deal. I will just try getting my act together faster tomorrow morning. Or ride my bike if it's not 1000% humidity.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 05:18:53 PM »
Friday I will be taking the train to the city for work.  But - I have to get to work first, then take the train.  So the car still gets used.  Hopefully in 10 days time we get to move, and the car gets to be left at home.  Counting the days.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »
6 miles so far for me. I feel ok about that- this was a round trip to the grocery store in between some thunderstorms.

I知 not sure I知 going to meet my goal though- I found out today about a training class I have to attend which is 48 miles (round trip) of driving from my home and outside the range of public transit in my city. I could take the commuter train to the nearest stop and take an Uber or taxi from there- but feels a bit like cheating? Maybe I値l count Uber mileage as car mileage.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 09:06:07 AM »
Mileage running total

9/1 - 0
9/2 - 0
9/3 - 0
9/4 - 27
9/5 - 20.5
9/6 - 24.1
Total = 71.6 miles

This is using Google Maps but I did take a photo of my Odometer at the beginning of the month to confirm this is accurate. The mileage on the 4th seems way to high.

I drove into work twice this week , took the bus once, and rode my bike one. Next week I have a seminar that I have to drive to on Friday but the other 4 days I shouldn't have a problem biking or take the bus.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »
Mileage running total

9/1 - 0
9/2 - 0
9/3 - 0
9/4 - 27
9/5 - 20.5
9/6 - 24.1
9/7 - 0
9/8 - 0
9/9 - 0
9/10 - 0
Total = 71.6 miles

Doing pretty well so far. I took the bus today, I'll have to drive in to work tomorrow and Friday but should be able to wither ride my bike or the bus on Wed and Thurs and it'll be in the mid 70s so that's good. I'll have to be really good the last two weeks of the month to hit my goal.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »
First train commute today. Turning over a new leaf.  Let's see how it goes for the week.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 07:54:30 AM »
I have not been doing to good since the 10th. Drove most days last week and then again today because I could not get myself up in time to catch the bus. I also am not to crazy about the bus since the last time I took it last week I got very car sick (currently 9 weeks pregnant) so I'm really hoping I don't get sick again but I am going to try tomorrow.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
I'll join in.  My clown car commuting in August - 2076 kilometres.

I'm going to try commuting by train hopefully by the middle of September.  Therefore I hope to commute by car under 1000 kilometres. 

Facepunch me now.

September 19th update:

1204.9 km driven in the car.  But - last 3 days have been only 37 km, and Monday and today will be 5.5 km each.  Train is starting to reduce my car driving.  Hoping to keep it up. and enjoying reading a book on the train rather than fighting traffic.  But I started to get motion sickness this morning.  I need to look up more when reading.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »
We're trying to do this, especially for the next few months. Due to a dismal lack of future vision, our jobs changed and the 45 foot commute turned into 45 miles. Ugh! Moving to be near a job can backfire. And we intended to stay put so we bought the house. Jobs are now in nearby much more expensive place so we've been commuting but have decided to rent a tiny apartment for the months the Northern hemisphere has winter. We should be able to cut our driving in half, and potentially pay for teeny-tiny apartment in the process.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »
Best thing we ever did was buy a home 2.5 miles from work. I ride to work all year, even in the snow.  If the snow gets too deep, I can walk or ski there.  This is bliss.

We use our truck mainly for fun.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
OK September didn't end up so well. Kind of fell off the wagon when I started getting car sick on the bus and lacking energy while biking. I'm moving into the 2nd trimester of this pregnancy so hoping I'll be able to do better this month (though i drove today)

Monthly Mileage
August 2018 - 632.7
September 2018 - 512

At least I drove less than the prior months. This month I will just aim for less than last month as see how it goes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:53:03 AM by haypug16 »

NVDee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 01:42:22 PM »
Good job everyone! The last time I drove was August 23rd. 

September km = 0

We just temporarily relocated to in place and left our three (yes, three vehicles) cars at home.  So far hubby has biked to work everyday, I walk or ride for all errands. Weekends are spent traveling either bike bike if less than 80 Km or by train. 

We looking forward to another month car-free.  Then it's back to normal life in November, hopefully with little car travel then as well.

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »
I'm in for October! Reset the trip mileage counter and will see what this month brings... Have a couple of trips out of the city planned for the month, so hoping to keep it under one tank of gas for the month.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!