Author Topic: DONT Payoff your Mortgage Club  (Read 891356 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: DONT Payoff your Mortgage Club
« Reply #2350 on: September 11, 2020, 10:28:57 AM »
I've been mulling this over.  We are not a high-income household.  In fact, relative to where we live, we would be considered a low-income household.  Dh is in non-profit and I am retired, gross income is $80k per year and we live in a very HCOL area.  We are okay on retirement savings.  The fear on our end is that we would not be able to qualify for a decent mortgage if dh leaves his job and we have to qualify with a similar salary but with a brand new job, I understand that length of employment is a big issue on new loans.
I think lenders also will look at new employment as continuous if it's within the same field. They understand people change jobs frequently for career progression etc. It may not be as big an issue just because he's at company B for < 1 year, but has been in the same career field for 20+ years.
DSD and her family are in escrow on a new home. They are using the same lender they currently have. The person who is buying their old place is also using the same lender. DSD got a better job offer the same field in the middle of escrow! She checked with the lender and they're not concerned, so job change has been completed.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2351 on: September 14, 2020, 12:23:21 PM »
2.5% 30 year fixed with Loan Depot today was quoted - no cost and no escrow.  Good, or should I try for lower?  It is way lower than my current 3.625% rate. Excellent credit, and lower LTV (under 70%).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2352 on: September 14, 2020, 01:31:25 PM »
2.5% 30 year fixed with Loan Depot today was quoted - no cost and no escrow.  Good, or should I try for lower?  It is way lower than my current 3.625% rate. Excellent credit, and lower LTV (under 70%).
Holy shit, I'd grab that sucker with both hands!

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #2353 on: September 14, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »
Yep, that’s fantastic. Make sure they are not adding any points or costs into the loan.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2354 on: September 14, 2020, 02:03:49 PM »

Grabbed.  It actually ended up being a $470 refund from the lender because of no appraisal required (old appraisal less than one year old in an appreciating area - house is now valued at $710K minimum).  We'll see how long it takes to close, but I am one happy cookie.

Well, there are origination fees et al, but the discount points make the fee total -$470.  When we close, our payments will go down $387/month, and no more escrow!  Win.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2355 on: September 14, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »

Grabbed.  It actually ended up being a $470 refund from the lender because of no appraisal required (old appraisal less than one year old in an appreciating area - house is now valued at $710K minimum).  We'll see how long it takes to close, but I am one happy cookie.

Well, there are origination fees et al, but the discount points make the fee total -$470.  When we close, our payments will go down $387/month, and no more escrow!  Win.
WooO-HoOO!!! I recommending spending the refund on yourself. You earned it, you badass!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2356 on: September 14, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »

WooO-HoOO!!! I recommending spending the refund on yourself. You earned it, you badass!
I didn't think lenders could offer a refund paid by negative points (they could refund an application fee intended to pay for an appraisal though).

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2357 on: September 14, 2020, 03:26:00 PM »

I didn't think lenders could offer a refund paid by negative points (they could refund an application fee intended to pay for an appraisal though).
They refunded the appraisal fee because I provided our prior within one year old appraisal.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2358 on: September 15, 2020, 06:58:22 AM »
I don't know if this counts as an appraisal, but the house next door to us--identical floor plan--sold last month.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed at how low our old neighbors sold it. Thanks a lot, guys!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2359 on: September 15, 2020, 07:52:02 AM »
All these crazy low refits make me jealous.  I’m likely to sell and move in the next 12 months so it doesn’t make sense foe me to look.  I console myself that at 3.75% my rate is still low, just not crazy low.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2360 on: September 15, 2020, 08:00:26 AM »
All these crazy low refits make me jealous.  I’m likely to sell and move in the next 12 months so it doesn’t make sense foe me to look.  I console myself that at 3.75% my rate is still low, just not crazy low.

Yeah... similar for us.  We're suddenly uncertain whether we will remain here more than another year or two, and covid furlough (me) complicates any refinancing options for us.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2361 on: September 15, 2020, 01:04:15 PM »
Eight years ago rates got really low, and--contemplating what the immediate future looked like--what started as a project to refinance resulted in me realizing that I would need to move. And a smart, strategic move is one of the few projects that rocket you forward faster than a refi-.

The two years after that move saw the TallTexan HH gain $300,000 in net worth.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2362 on: September 15, 2020, 01:45:34 PM »
Eight years ago rates got really low, and--contemplating what the immediate future looked like--what started as a project to refinance resulted in me realizing that I would need to move. And a smart, strategic move is one of the few projects that rocket you forward faster than a refi-.

The two years after that move saw the TallTexan HH gain $300,000 in net worth.
Did you actually gain net worth or move your asset from real estate to cash?

NotBadForADad

• Stubble
« Reply #2363 on: September 15, 2020, 01:56:05 PM »
Someone explain to me the payoff or don't pay off the mortgage.

Dave Ramsey talks all about get out of debt and pay off the mortgage. That would strap my cash flow significantly if I doubled up on my payments.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2364 on: September 15, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »

Go to page one of this VERY THREAD and start reading.   It will become clear. :)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2365 on: September 15, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »

Dave Ramsey talks all about get out of debt and pay off the mortgage. That would strap my cash flow significantly if I doubled up on my payments.

Agree with SwordGuy - you can learn a lot about the various (and substantial!) reasons by skimming over this thread from page 1.

As for Dave Ramsey (DR) - his approach is centered on emotional and behavioral attitudes towards money, with a hefty dose of a very specific variety of Christian morality.  That can be helpful to people who are otherwise very poor with their money, and for people who believe in his version of Jesus.  But from a strictly financial view, his advice is often sub-optimal, and at times downright contrary to a person's best financial interests (again, provided they already have some financial self control).

If you wrack up debt and spend every penny, his approach is not a bad one to follow.  For those of us that want to optimize every dollar we earn, his is not the path to follow.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2366 on: September 16, 2020, 05:55:53 AM »

Agree with SwordGuy - you can learn a lot about the various (and substantial!) reasons by skimming over this thread from page 1.

As for Dave Ramsey (DR) - his approach is centered on emotional and behavioral attitudes towards money, with a hefty dose of a very specific variety of Christian morality.  That can be helpful to people who are otherwise very poor with their money, and for people who believe in his version of Jesus.  But from a strictly financial view, his advice is often sub-optimal, and at times downright contrary to a person's best financial interests (again, provided they already have some financial self control).

If you wrack up debt and spend every penny, his approach is not a bad one to follow.  For those of us that want to optimize every dollar we earn, his is not the path to follow.

Given enough time, investing each dollar in the place in which it has the highest return will cause you to build wealth the fastest.

Dave Ramsey urges people to pay down debt first, but there are many cases--particularly with mortgage debt in today's market--where those dollars will earn a higher return if put into risky investments than if they're used to accelerate debt paydown. This thread has ample debate about whether this path is riskier than the Dave Ramsey plan.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2367 on: September 16, 2020, 10:28:19 AM »

The key benefits are 1) investing has a significantly higher expected return than the interest rate (even after adjusting for risk) and 2) a lower (but not paid in full) mortgage balance does not provide any help should your income be reduced (mortgage payment still required; if you had invested instead of making extra payments, you could sell the investments to make required payments). In some cases there are additional tax related benefits to keeping the mortgage. Some here choose to carry a mortgage into FIRE due to reason 1 alone. Others choose to forgo unneeded returns and pay off the mortgage in full after reaching FI to reduce cash flow demands in retirement.

NotBadForADad

• Stubble
« Reply #2368 on: September 16, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »

The key benefits are 1) investing has a significantly higher expected return than the interest rate (even after adjusting for risk) and 2) a lower (but not paid in full) mortgage balance does not provide any help should your income be reduced (mortgage payment still required; if you had invested instead of making extra payments, you could sell the investments to make required payments). In some cases there are additional tax related benefits to keeping the mortgage. Some here choose to carry a mortgage into FIRE due to reason 1 alone. Others choose to forgo unneeded returns and pay off the mortgage in full after reaching FI to reduce cash flow demands in retirement.

Thanks. I'm not that smart nor make enough to figure any of this out. We do want to move however, so, I'll probably just pay this thing until the day I die.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2369 on: September 16, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »

Thanks. I'm not that smart nor make enough to figure any of this out. We do want to move however, so, I'll probably just pay this thing until the day I die.

If you actually take the time to read this thread, you might be surprised to learn how much you can learn.   Why be shackled by the prison bars you put on your own brain?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2370 on: September 16, 2020, 12:23:16 PM »

If you need more convincing that the best place to put whatever surplus you have is not extra mortgage payments, read this thread.

Otherwise, it's more important to learn what do do with your money instead. MDM's investment order thread is a great place to start learning what types of accounts to use. If you're a long way from FI, then you can just purchase a low cost total stock market index fund (or large cap index fund or target date fund) once you convince yourself that you are best off holding this investment even when it is going down (because you can't afford to not be holding it when it is going up). Later you can learn more about asset allocation strategies to preserve the wealth that you've accumulated (potentially adding bond funds, international funds, etc. to your investment mix).

Nothing wrong with keeping a low fixed rate mortgage until you die, plenty of people here plan to do that even though they know they don't have to.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2371 on: September 16, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »

Nothing wrong with keeping a low fixed rate mortgage until you die, plenty of people here plan to do that even though they know they don't have to.

That's my plan... and my parents too.  They've got enough in investments to pay off their home several times over, but they get far more from having invested than they would having slightly lower monthly payments each month with no mortgage.

Assuming rates remain favorable, we'll refinance to stretch our term out another 30 years right before we retire, and pull out a good deal of the equity.

NotBadForADad

• Stubble
« Reply #2372 on: September 16, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »

If you need more convincing that the best place to put whatever surplus you have is not extra mortgage payments, read this thread.

Otherwise, it's more important to learn what do do with your money instead. MDM's investment order thread is a great place to start learning what types of accounts to use. If you're a long way from FI, then you can just purchase a low cost total stock market index fund (or large cap index fund or target date fund) once you convince yourself that you are best off holding this investment even when it is going down (because you can't afford to not be holding it when it is going up). Later you can learn more about asset allocation strategies to preserve the wealth that you've accumulated (potentially adding bond funds, international funds, etc. to your investment mix).

For sure. Right now, I'm just focusing on hammering out all of my debt and then getting 3-6months living expenses covered. We plan to move in a few years to get out of the city.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2373 on: September 16, 2020, 01:10:38 PM »

For sure. Right now, I'm just focusing on hammering out all of my debt and then getting 3-6months living expenses covered. We plan to move in a few years to get out of the city.

Hard to know without more detailed information, but 'hammering out all debt' before you have 3-6 months living expenses (i.e. an "Emergency Fund") is likely backwards from what is advised here.  In fact, eliminating low-interest debt is pretty low on the Investment Order, for very good reasons.

CarnivoreforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2374 on: September 16, 2020, 01:37:45 PM »
Hello! long time lurker have an important question. Please help!

I would like to refinance my mortgage- 5 years into the loan, 25 years left- currently is $122,000 balance 4% . total pmt $1023.00.
Bank offer 2.75% 15 yrs at $862 a month
                3.00% 20 yrs at $704 a month

Closing cost is $3,000 and they said it can be rollover into the mortgage, making it $125,000.  is this a good deal?

thank you in advance for your help!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2375 on: September 16, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »

I would like to refinance my mortgage- 5 years into the loan, 25 years left- currently is $122,000 balance 4% . total pmt $1023.00.

Closing cost is $3,000 and they said it can be rollover into the mortgage, making it $125,000.  is this a good deal?

A couple questions for you:
1) why are you not considering 30 year fixed rate mortgages?
2) will you plan on staying in your home for at least 18 months to recoup the $3k in closing costs?
3) Have you gotten multiple offers from different lenders?

Both of those scenarios have you paying LESS each month for a shorter term.  So it's a no brainer that either are much better than your current mortgage provided that you will be in your home through 2021.

But is it the BEST deal out there? Probably not.  I've seen 15 year fixed rates with no points and less closing costs for around 2.5%.  30 year terms are currently available for ~3.0% (the PI portion of your loan would be $527).  Given that you calculated $704/mo at 20 years it seems you aren't putting taxes and insurance into your monthjly figures.

CarnivoreforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2376 on: September 16, 2020, 01:58:24 PM »
Thank you for your reply!

I did consider 30 years also- its 3.125 % at $544 P&I
We plan on renting this home out next year and buy our forever home.

Which option is the best you think?

this is my second quote and I don't think I want anymore hard inquiries on my credit score...

CarnivoreforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2377 on: September 16, 2020, 02:03:35 PM »

A couple questions for you:
1) why are you not considering 30 year fixed rate mortgages?
2) will you plan on staying in your home for at least 18 months to recoup the $3k in closing costs?
3) Have you gotten multiple offers from different lenders?

Both of those scenarios have you paying LESS each month for a shorter term.  So it's a no brainer that either are much better than your current mortgage provided that you will be in your home through 2021.

But is it the BEST deal out there? Probably not.  I've seen 15 year fixed rates with no points and less closing costs for around 2.5%.  30 year terms are currently available for ~3.0% (the PI portion of your loan would be $527).  Given that you calculated $704/mo at 20 years it seems you aren't putting taxes and insurance into your monthjly figures.

this is my second quote and I don't think I want anymore hard inquiries on my credit score...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2378 on: September 16, 2020, 02:10:59 PM »
Hard inquires should not reduce your credit score if they are all grouped together within a limited time frame (+/- 1 month, I think).  The credit agencies simply view this as "shopping around".  Most hard inquires (or groups of hard inquires) will drop your score just ~5 points or so... even better, this dip typically lasts just a few months.

bottom line - getting the best quote will mean far more to you than worrying about a slight and temporary dip.

So... to get to your question.... I'd really see if 3.125% 30/yr is really the best deal out there.  Start by showing a perspective loan officer that number and asking how much lower s/he can go.  Should save you a lot of time and probably will get you a better rate.

If that's the best offer you can get, to me it's a no-brainer.  Take the 30year at 3.125%.  To me it's not worth it to lock yourself into a 15year term just to shave 0.625% off an already stupidly-low interest rate.  If you suddenly find yourself with a firehose of extra cash each month you can easily put that extra $288 you save by having a longer term directly to your mortgage and you will wind up with a fairly similar payoff schedule. 
Buuuutt.... the whole idea is that you can earn a much better return on your money elsewhere than you could paying down a fixed 3.125% mortgage (remember, inflation is your friend with fixed rate debt).

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #2379 on: September 16, 2020, 02:13:22 PM »

I would recommend taking 30 year option for flexibility it gives you with cashflow, if you have discipline to put savings on monthly cashflow to better use, like investments that may provide better returns.

Get as many quotes as you like, any number of quotes for mortgage finance within 15 days will be considered as just one inquiry.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:14:57 PM by achvfi »

CarnivoreforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2380 on: September 16, 2020, 02:16:06 PM »

I would recommend taking 30 year option for flexibility it gives you with cashflow, if you have discipline to put savings on monthly cashflow to better use, like investments that may provide better returns.

Get as many quotes as you like, any number of quotes for mortgage finance within 15 days will be considered as just one inquiry.

OK- THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2381 on: September 16, 2020, 02:25:08 PM »

Just saw this.  BE CAREFUL.
Many primary residence mortgages come with clauses that you will (duh) reside in the home and not use it as a rental for a fixed period of time (often at least 2 years, or 2/5 years).  Real estate mortgages tend to be as much as 0.5% higher because they carry more risk to the bank.

Now... you might be thinking "how will the bank know"... and they probably won't.  UNTIL you apply for another mortage for your 'forever home' - in which case they won't like seeing two SFH as primary residences.

Now one way to approach this is to just take out a normal mortgage since you intend to use it for a while as your primary residence, and then in a year or two ask the bank to adjust the contract to make it a rental property.  There's a reasonable chance they might not make a change to your interest rate if you have enough equity stored up... or it will just be a slight bump. 

Either way... read the fine print.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2382 on: September 16, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »

Many primary residence mortgages come with clauses that you will (duh) reside in the home and not use it as a rental for a fixed period of time (often at least 2 years, or 2/5 years).  Real estate mortgages tend to be as much as 0.5% higher because they carry more risk to the bank.

Now... you might be thinking "how will the bank know"... and they probably won't.  UNTIL you apply for another mortage for your 'forever home' - in which case they won't like seeing two SFH as primary residences.

Now one way to approach this is to just take out a normal mortgage since you intend to use it for a while as your primary residence, and then in a year or two ask the bank to adjust the contract to make it a rental property.  There's a reasonable chance they might not make a change to your interest rate if you have enough equity stored up... or it will just be a slight bump. 

Agree with nereo.

They will find out via your insurance company if you have an impound account, yet another reason not to have one.

If you're going to rent it out long term, I agree a 30 year loan makes sense.

For latest loan news, paging @couponvan.

CarnivoreforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2383 on: September 16, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »

Agree with nereo.

They will find out via your insurance company if you have an impound account, yet another reason not to have one.

If you're going to rent it out long term, I agree a 30 year loan makes sense.

For latest loan news, paging @couponvan.

OK, I see...

I would like to clarify some things.
Our forever home would be under hubs name only.  Current one is under mines only and we're going to rent it out next year.  If that makes any difference in the future when I rent the house out...
So, you're saying make sure the REFINANCE clause doesn't prohibit us to rent the house out in a year or two?
And, our agent friend stated that we could rent the house for $1,800- that's why I would to refinance to get the lowest and best rate for optimal cash flow...

Also

NotBadForADad

• Stubble
« Reply #2384 on: September 16, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »

Hard to know without more detailed information, but 'hammering out all debt' before you have 3-6 months living expenses (i.e. an "Emergency Fund") is likely backwards from what is advised here.  In fact, eliminating low-interest debt is pretty low on the Investment Order, for very good reasons.

Well excuse me. I was following the Dave Ramsey Baby steps.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2385 on: September 16, 2020, 04:00:43 PM »

No, you weren't.  :)

You got the order wrong for Dave Ramsey's baby steps method.
This stuff isn't hard, but it's "particular".   Details matter.   

https://www.daveramsey.com/dave-ramsey-7-baby-steps

NotBadForADad

• Stubble
« Reply #2386 on: September 16, 2020, 04:03:18 PM »

I know what the steps are. I have $1k+ in the bank. And have been diligent with paying debt down, $14k since March.

What did I miss?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2387 on: September 16, 2020, 04:06:51 PM »

I know what the steps are. I have $1k+ in the bank. And have been diligent with paying debt down, $14k since March.

What did I miss?

"All debt" includes a mortgage, which we've assumed you have since you're on this thread.   The Baby Steps put paying off the mortgage as step #6 of 7.    3-6 months emergency fund is #3 of 7.    Details matter.

NotBadForADad

• Stubble
« Reply #2388 on: September 16, 2020, 04:11:19 PM »

What did I miss?

"All debt" includes a mortgage, which we've assumed you have since you're on this thread.   The Baby Steps put paying off the mortgage as step #6 of 7.    3-6 months emergency fund is #3 of 7.    Details matter.

So I can't inquire on a thread and get my feelers out? Ok let me rephrase,  all debt except the mortgage, as typically spoken in the DR realm.

Better??

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2389 on: September 16, 2020, 05:25:12 PM »
No one is trying to be hostile here, and sometimes it’s hard to judge tone over posts. Everyone involved is just trying to help and learn.

How people discuss debt is one of the big differences between this forum and the DR boards. Here “all debt” includes the mortgage, and the focus is a bit different (compare the “investment order” linked above to “DR’s Baby Steps”)

What matters with mortgages is whether you are using it as agreed on the note. It doesn’t matter if you split who holds each loan. If you aren’t living there r have rented it out, that could be a problem. Check first, or risk penalties.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2390 on: September 16, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »
@NotBadForADad ,  Sorry, I'm not trying to be hostile.   I'm trying to make a point.

Details matter and you can learn the details.

This thread contains a host of information about why one would (or would not) want to focus on investing before paying down the mortgage or vice-versa.   

For most people with a low fixed rate 30 year mortgage, the DR baby steps #6 and #7 should be reversed for optimum wealth building and financial freedom.   And yes, there are exceptions.    The reasons why are buried in this thread as various folks have put forward their situations and folks have walked them thru their decision.

It's my belief that the time it takes to read thru this thread is time well spent.     We're talking the potential for serious money.

CarnivoreforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2391 on: September 16, 2020, 05:52:08 PM »

What matters with mortgages is whether you are using it as agreed on the note. It doesn’t matter if you split who holds each loan. If you aren’t living there r have rented it out, that could be a problem. Check first, or risk penalties.
[/quote]

Thank you for your feedback and opinions...this was more complicated than I thought, unfortunately :(
What would YOU do if this was your situation?  Now, I think I just got confused.  Refinance but maybe unable to rent it out in the future or keep original mortgage and can rent it out since notes allow after 3 years...
You're right, we're all in this together and trying to help and learn from one another and I really appreciated your time and comment.

thank you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2392 on: September 16, 2020, 07:44:57 PM »
Hey I was wondering.... can anyone tell me?  Do details matter or not?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2393 on: September 16, 2020, 09:05:57 PM »
Hey I was wondering.... can anyone tell me?  Do details matter or not?
Hey all, meet dragoncar, the funniest creature on this forum. He's also very smart and breathes FIRE. Don't fuck with him. As long as you're nice to him, no one will get hurt. Maybe.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2394 on: September 17, 2020, 03:34:18 AM »

Thank you for your feedback and opinions...this was more complicated than I thought, unfortunately :(
What would YOU do if this was your situation?  Now, I think I just got confused.  Refinance but maybe unable to rent it out in the future or keep original mortgage and can rent it out since notes allow after 3 years...
You're right, we're all in this together and trying to help and learn from one another and I really appreciated your time and comment.

thank you.
[/quote]

There are several questions I’d ask in addition to refinance questions.  As I don’t know if you should rent out your house.

1.  Do I want to be a landlord and why?
2.  Do I want to be a hands on landlord, if not do the numbers work if I hire a property manager.
3.  Do the numbers work as a rental on your current.  I don’t mean can I rent it for the PITI, but also factoring in vacancies and Maintence.  (Does it meet the 1% rule, property rents for at least 1% of the purchase price ie a 100k house rents for $1,000 a month).
4.  Also you mentioned DR, you know he would be yelling at you for considering that you are considering buying a second home with a mortgage while still in other debt right?  Especially when you don’t have a 3-6 month emergency fund.  Where are you getting you down payment let alone affording a new roof on your “new rental”
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:35:55 AM by Fomerly known as something »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2395 on: September 17, 2020, 05:36:39 AM »
4.  Also you mentioned DR, you know he would be yelling at you for considering that you are considering buying a second home with a mortgage while still in other debt right? 
Fortunately, this is the Don't Pay Off Your Mortgage thread on the Mister Money Mustache Forum. We do things to optimize the path to FIRE. Here, we tend to yell at Dave Ramsey for the crappy investment advice he peddles.

CarnivoreforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2396 on: September 17, 2020, 06:19:27 AM »

thank you.

There are several questions I’d ask in addition to refinance questions.  As I don’t know if you should rent out your house.

1.  Do I want to be a landlord and why?
2.  Do I want to be a hands on landlord, if not do the numbers work if I hire a property manager.
3.  Do the numbers work as a rental on your current.  I don’t mean can I rent it for the PITI, but also factoring in vacancies and Maintence.  (Does it meet the 1% rule, property rents for at least 1% of the purchase price ie a 100k house rents for $1,000 a month).
4.  Also you mentioned DR, you know he would be yelling at you for considering that you are considering buying a second home with a mortgage while still in other debt right?  Especially when you don’t have a 3-6 month emergency fund.  Where are you getting you down payment let alone affording a new roof on your “new rental”
[/quote]

I appreciate your reply- to answer your question:

I always wanted to try. I Know the pros and cons and def will regret if I don’t take the risk. Basically, I’ll regret it if I don’t try something (one of those people :) ).
I don’t care about DR and this is the DON’T pay off your mortgage thread.
And I’m not sure how the assumption was made on me having no cash, emergency funds etc?...

Thanks

Mako52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2397 on: September 17, 2020, 06:32:06 AM »
9/17/20.......Just closed on a 2.625/30yr with Lenderfi.  If the escrow refund from Loan Depot (3.25/30) is what I expect, net out of pocket cost is $350.  Saves us $2900 in interest the first year alone and frees up future cash flow to diversify away from illiquid home equity.

CarnivoreforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2398 on: September 17, 2020, 06:38:59 AM »
9/17/20.......Just closed on a 2.625/30yr with Lenderfi.  If the escrow refund from Loan Depot (3.25/30) is what I expect, net out of pocket cost is $350.  Saves us $2900 in interest the first year alone and frees up future cash flow to diversify away from illiquid home equity.

Oh! How niceeee!
Congrats!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2399 on: September 17, 2020, 06:39:31 AM »

That's awesome.  Kudos to you!