Author Topic: DONT Payoff your Mortgage Club  (Read 891461 times)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
Re: DONT Payoff your Mortgage Club
« Reply #2300 on: August 14, 2020, 06:27:41 AM »
I have failed.
I paid off not one but 2 mortgages!!!! I beg forgiveness!

however they were ones i was paying on the former marital home as part of the divorce settlement agreement - i had no equity attached to them and I also had to pay house insurance and property tax as part of the deal. That's now gone too.

Now to refinance the current house mortgage that I got a year ago - as soon as the 2 mortgages show as paid from my record.
the refi will be a 30year and as low a rate as I can get.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2301 on: August 14, 2020, 06:51:41 AM »
I locked in a 30-yr fix yesterday at 2.49%, no points. Say what? I’m still in disbelief. I am never pre-paying that puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing!  @ender I know you were looking for this rate to see who the lender was.

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #2302 on: August 14, 2020, 07:22:34 AM »
I locked in a 30-yr fix yesterday at 2.49%, no points. Say what? I’m still in disbelief. I am never pre-paying that puppy.

Amazing!  @ender I know you were looking for this rate to see who the lender was.
It’s with Fairway. I’ve always used Chase before so I don’t much about Fairway reputationally.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2303 on: August 14, 2020, 08:43:39 AM »

It’s with Fairway. I’ve always used Chase before so I don’t much about Fairway reputationally.
At that rate, who cares? This is particularly true if you don't do an impound account. @UnleashHell, come in please..

BTW, under the circumstances, UH, those were not "your" mortgages, so I again I offer my heartiest Ccongratulations! For anyone who might be confused by this, I highly recommend Unleash Hell's always-interesting journal.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #2304 on: August 14, 2020, 08:48:53 AM »
thanks @Dicey to be clear - I also held assets that matched the mortgages - at the time of that agreement.
Now I'm Just down to two 30 year mortgages!!

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #2305 on: August 14, 2020, 08:49:56 AM »

At that rate, who cares? This is particularly true if you don't do an impound account. @UnleashHell, come in please..

BTW, under the circumstances, UH, those were not "your" mortgages, so I again I offer my heartiest Ccongratulations! For anyone who might be confused by this, I highly recommend Unleash Hell's always-interesting journal.
I am putting down 20%. Is it common for lenders to drop the impound if asked? I’ve never thought to do this. What are pros and cons? No escrow then and not worry about lender messing up paying? But them it’s not nice one pmt. but i like the idea of no impound if possible, I think....

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2306 on: August 14, 2020, 09:35:36 AM »
So with rates dropping I shopped around some more and got another competing offer for the following.

30yr
2.75%
0 points
0 lender fees
Appraisal waiver
566 lender credit towards escrow.
Washington state

So essentially they will pay me 566 to refinance from 3.5% to 2.75%. I told them I am shopping around but we locked the rate.  I'll be taking this offer to the other lender and asking them to beat it and the new lender was totally fine knowing I was using them as a bargaining chip.

It's getting crazy out there....

Just signed the paperwork on this refi yesterday.  Funds should be distributed early next week.

Congrats to everyone taking advantage of these low rates! Our next refinance threshold will be 2-2.5% for a 30yr.

We bought our house a little over two years ago and our mortgage payment has dropped by 20% since then which is crazy and lucky for us since we live in a HCOL area.  Just gives us more money to dump into the market!

Happy Friday all!

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #2307 on: August 14, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
.25% up front charge if I don’t want to have an escrow account. UGH doesn’t seem worth it.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2308 on: August 14, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
.25% up front charge if I don’t want to have an escrow account. UGH doesn’t seem worth it.

A lot of times you can just call them up a year later and get them to waive it then.

I'm closing with escrows just because it's easier to process for the lender (it makes them feel safer) and then after closing I'll probably waive them. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2309 on: August 14, 2020, 12:35:16 PM »
I am putting down 20%. Is it common for lenders to drop the impound if asked? I’ve never thought to do this. What are pros and cons? No escrow then and not worry about lender messing up paying? But them it’s not nice one pmt. but i like the idea of no impound if possible, I think....

Pro: Mortgage payment never changes.
Pro: More direct control/oversight on taxes/insurance getting paid
Pro: Excellent method of spend for getting signup bonuses on premium credit cards.

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #2310 on: August 14, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »

Pro: Mortgage payment never changes.
Pro: More direct control/oversight on taxes/insurance getting paid
Pro: Excellent method of spend for getting signup bonuses on premium credit cards.
I’ll close with an escrow and look to drop in the future. Between the cost and the making the close smoother with the lender, seems the better way to go.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2311 on: August 14, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »

That's 100% bullshit. I'd want to get up in someone's bidness to get a straight answer on that one. What? I'm doing something that's LESS work for you and you want to charge me more? I'd at least call around to a few other lenders.

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #2312 on: August 14, 2020, 08:04:27 PM »

That's 100% bullshit. I'd want to get up in someone's bidness to get a straight answer on that one. What? I'm doing something that's LESS work for you and you want to charge me more? I'd at least call around to a few other lenders.
While I with ya in spirit, I have so much other stuff going on in my life and I am not so anti-escrow that I’ll let this slide. Maybe if the bank were to call in an “impound” account instead I’d throw a fit ;-)

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2313 on: August 17, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »
So with rates dropping I shopped around some more and got another competing offer for the following.

30yr
2.75%
0 points
0 lender fees
Appraisal waiver
Washington state

So essentially they will pay me 566 to refinance from 3.5% to 2.75%. I told them I am shopping around but we locked the rate.  I'll be taking this offer to the other lender and asking them to beat it and the new lender was totally fine knowing I was using them as a bargaining chip.

Just signed the paperwork on this refi yesterday.  Funds should be distributed early next week.

Congrats to everyone taking advantage of these low rates! Our next refinance threshold will be 2-2.5% for a 30yr.

We bought our house a little over two years ago and our mortgage payment has dropped by 20% since then which is crazy and lucky for us since we live in a HCOL area.  Just gives us more money to dump into the market!

Happy Friday all!

Wow!  We refinanced back in April/May to a 20 year with a 2.875%.  I was SO excited!  We had only been ~3 years into a 30 year, and our overall payment only went up about $65 a month.  And now rates are even lower.  You guys are inspirational!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2314 on: August 17, 2020, 09:16:41 AM »
Pulling paperwork together for my refi, I had to literally climb stairs and run the scanner (page-by-page) to get paper statements onto an old desktop computer in the upstairs. Do I get extra mustachian points for using a 2008 desktop to apply for my 2020-bond-market mortgage?

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2315 on: August 18, 2020, 12:28:41 AM »

Where from ??

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2316 on: August 18, 2020, 07:52:26 AM »
My wife said some mortgage rule change went into effect over the weekend and rates popped back up. Can any of you confirm this?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2317 on: August 18, 2020, 07:59:11 AM »
My wife said some mortgage rule change went into effect over the weekend and rates popped back up. Can any of you confirm this?

Just looked on Pen Fed's site and they have the lowest I've ever seen, 2.25% for a 15 year and 2.5% for a 30 year.

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #2318 on: August 18, 2020, 09:24:19 AM »

Where from ??
Fairway, locked on 8/14

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #2319 on: August 18, 2020, 09:25:28 AM »
My broker alluded to this last Friday, she locked me in at 2.5 30yr fixed and said market popped back up very shortly thereafter

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #2320 on: August 18, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »

I think refinances will be tacked with additional .25% in fees starting in September I believe. They don’t affect loans in process

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2321 on: August 19, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »

30yr
2.75%
0 points
0 lender fees
Appraisal waiver
Washington state

Happy Friday all!

Funds are distributed and I officially have a 2.75% 30yr mortgage!

I was just comparing our first mortgage on this house to our latest refinance and our first mortgage we were paying 28.5k in interest per year and 9.3k in principle with a 4.75% rate two years ago.  Now we are paying 16.5k in interest and 13.2k in principle per year.  Such a crazy difference.... If we ever get down to 2.25% we will be paying more principal pay down than interest on a yearly basis which would be crazy.  Let's hope rates go lower for refi #4! 😂

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2322 on: August 19, 2020, 07:09:38 PM »
I've got rate FOMO.  Pulled the trigger too early... but now it's too late.  Congrats to those who got the magic window.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2323 on: August 19, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
I am playing with fire the other direction, @dragoncar. Received quotes today, but Mrs. TallTexan just feeling so overwhelmed by the joint demands of work and kids' school that she doesn't want to make a move right now (No disagreement with me). Of course part of me is worried that our window will close, but the logical part of me knows these are not decisions that you rush.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2324 on: August 19, 2020, 10:26:53 PM »
I've got rate FOMO.  Pulled the trigger too early... but now it's too late.  Congrats to those who got the magic window.

Hey, rates could go lower.  You never know!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2325 on: August 19, 2020, 10:55:11 PM »
I am playing with fire the other direction, @dragoncar. Received quotes today, but Mrs. TallTexan just feeling so overwhelmed by the joint demands of work and kids' school that she doesn't want to make a move right now (No disagreement with me). Of course part of me is worried that our window will close, but the logical part of me knows these are not decisions that you rush.

I don't know why, but my gut says rates will stay low/lower over the next year.  My refinancing process was relatively simple but still a pain.  It's just not a pleasant thing to be constantly responding to document requests.  That's like... a job.  I can understand why you wouldn't want to deal with it.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2326 on: August 19, 2020, 11:34:39 PM »

I don't know why, but my gut says rates will stay low/lower over the next year.  My refinancing process was relatively simple but still a pain.  It's just not a pleasant thing to be constantly responding to document requests.  That's like... a job.  I can understand why you wouldn't want to deal with it.

I have the same feeling about rates.  I think the 30yr will hover between 2.25 and 3.5 for a year or two.  I sure hope they go lower but we will see.  I've gotten pretty use to the refi process so it usually takes me a couple hours to gather all the necessary documents and then it's usually just waiting on underwriters but it can be time consuming at times.  It's kinda like a game for me so I don't mind lol

Mako52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2327 on: August 22, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »
Just locked in to  refinance a recent 30yr fixed 3.25% into a 30yr 2.625%.   Seems like a no brainer but who knows whether rates will rise or continue to fall. 

With the lender credit the net net cost is around $300, if you add A + B + C + E costs in the loan disclosure and compare to lender credits in J. 

Interest savings between now and expected move date: $19.7k

Decrease in mortgage balance at expected move date: $8.8k

Reduction in P&I payments between now and expected move date: $15.7k
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:06:31 PM by Mako52 »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2328 on: August 22, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »
Funds are distributed and I officially have a 2.75% 30yr mortgage!

Damn...I'm envious.

I wonder if I can get a refi based on rental income alone.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2329 on: August 25, 2020, 03:13:35 PM »
Quick question for the DPOYM brain trust:

I'm about to sign off on a refi (30yr @ 3.875% with a nice lender credit) on 9/3. The lender sent loan officer was asking me some final questions and one was about pending payments. I said that I will have a payment going through at the beginning of the month,  so the balance would change and he said to me that since we are doing the refi within a few days that I should just skip my upcoming September payment with my current lender. Thoughts?

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #2330 on: August 25, 2020, 03:46:54 PM »

I'm about to sign off on a refi (30yr @ 3.875% with a nice lender credit) on 9/3. The lender sent loan officer was asking me some final questions and one was about pending payments. I said that I will have a payment going through at the beginning of the month,  so the balance would change and he said to me that since we are doing the refi within a few days that I should just skip my upcoming September payment with my current lender. Thoughts?

I am not sure that is normal, and I think is bad advise. Do not skip any payments. You will get back any excess payments back including interest, principle and escrow. Usually new loan is calculated based on payoff statement you get from previous lender.

You probably already know this, but looks like the rate you are signing up seems little high for current rates we are seeing. I understand YMMV.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2331 on: August 25, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »

I am not sure that is normal, and I think is bad advise. Do not skip any payments. You will get back any excess payments back including interest, principle and escrow. Usually new loan is calculated based on payoff statement you get from previous lender.

You probably already know this, but looks like the rate you are signing up seems little high for current rates we are seeing. I understand YMMV.

Agree. Do not cancel your payments until you see a 0.00 balance on the mortgage that you are refinancing away from.  Worst case you overpay and get it back eventually.  If you cancel, the worst case is a missed payment and then messing up your credit for years to come potentially.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2332 on: August 25, 2020, 04:32:32 PM »

Yeah, it felt like a weird option.

FYI, the rate look high because it is a typo, it will be a 2.875  =D

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2333 on: August 25, 2020, 04:54:57 PM »

Agree. Do not cancel your payments until you see a 0.00 balance on the mortgage that you are refinancing away from.  Worst case you overpay and get it back eventually.  If you cancel, the worst case is a missed payment and then messing up your credit for years to come potentially.

I wouldn’t skip a payment entirely, but most mortgages have a 15 day grace period where you aren’t considered to have missed the payment.  I might not pay on the 1st, and make sure the loan is paid off before the 15th.  If on the 10th or so you’ve run into closing issues make the payment electronically.  That’s just me though

The point being, if the mortgage is paid off on September 5th, the bank will treat the incoming funds first as a payment for September and then apply the remaining funds to the mortgage balance.  You won’t have actually missed the payment, it will just have come from the title company, and within the grace period

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2334 on: August 26, 2020, 06:55:32 AM »
I wouldn’t skip a payment entirely, but most mortgages have a 15 day grace period where you aren’t considered to have missed the payment.  I might not pay on the 1st, and make sure the loan is paid off before the 15th.  If on the 10th or so you’ve run into closing issues make the payment electronically.  That’s just me though

The point being, if the mortgage is paid off on September 5th, the bank will treat the incoming funds first as a payment for September and then apply the remaining funds to the mortgage balance.  You won’t have actually missed the payment, it will just have come from the title company, and within the grace period

Hmm, so I looked into this and I do have the 15 day grace period. I checked my account and compared to the closing disclosure and it would seem you're correct, the projected payoff amount for my loan is equal to my Sept payment + the remaining balance, so it would seem that the Sept payment is rolled into the refi. Interesting.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2335 on: August 27, 2020, 06:46:46 AM »
FYI, the rate look high because it is a typo, it will be a 2.875  =D
Awesome!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2336 on: September 03, 2020, 12:59:30 AM »
If you had about $900k equity in your house, and could get 2.6% interest on a new loan, would you refinance and take some cash out?  Our home equity is almost 50% of our net worth.

I've always been in the pay of the mortgage asap and stay mortgage-free group, but with rates this low, we're very tempted.  We're also a little nervous to have so much $ tied up in the house.

Bat signal to @Dicey !
I'd have to know a lot more about your finances to determine if you should pull cash out, but you should probably refi your existing mortgage asap. Is this a 15 or 30 year loan? What's your current rate?

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2337 on: September 03, 2020, 05:57:43 AM »
Is it possible to get a mortgage in the US than cannot be refinanced? Is that a product which exists at all?

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2338 on: September 03, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
Is it possible to get a mortgage in the US than cannot be refinanced? Is that a product which exists at all?

Sort of.  In some circumstances a loan can have a pre-payment penalty.  You can still refinance, but there can be substantial fees associated with that.   Those are pretty rare and not legal in every state. 

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2339 on: September 03, 2020, 11:33:13 AM »

Sort of.  In some circumstances a loan can have a pre-payment penalty.  You can still refinance, but there can be substantial fees associated with that.   Those are pretty rare and not legal in every state.
Federal law restricts prepayment penalties. Some loans aren't allowed them at all. Those that can have them are limited to 2% of the loan amount in the first two years and 1% of the loan amount in the third year. After three years, no US home mortgage can have a prepayment penalty. Lenders are also required to provide an option without prepayment penalty along side the offer with prepayment penalty. Of course many states impose further restrictions.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2340 on: September 03, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »
If you had about $900k equity in your house, and could get 2.6% interest on a new loan, would you refinance and take some cash out?  Our home equity is almost 50% of our net worth.

I've always been in the pay of the mortgage asap and stay mortgage-free group, but with rates this low, we're very tempted.  We're also a little nervous to have so much $ tied up in the house.

Bat signal to @Dicey !
I'd have to know a lot more about your finances to determine if you should pull cash out, but you should probably refi your existing mortgage asap. Is this a 15 or 30 year loan? What's your current rate?
@Dicey - Here is the full picture:  our house is actually paid off, a refi cash-out is the option to tap into the equity.  House value appx. $975k, maybe up to $1m.  We're thinking taking out $500k at 2.6% on a 30-yr fixed loan. 

We would like to relocate to a different state for dh's work in the next couple of years and we would like to buy a house there (3 dogs, like to have our own place, etc.)  The plan would be to get a mortgage on this house to have cash on hand to buy a house when we move.  This house would become a rental and the rent would be more than enough to cover all costs, including mortgage payment.  We do not want to sell this house at this time.  After reading some of the posts on here I'm even thinking that when we buy the other house we try to get a loan there as well if the rates are good.  Then we could invest some of the cash.  We have no debt at this time.

What do you think?  Smart, or stupid, idea?  :)

It sounds like you're proposing going into debt for a goal that may be a few years away. Given the mortgage you're describing, you're probably a very high ($300K+) income household. I can understand the hope to qualify for a mortgage while you still have that income and the property is still a primary residence, if you plan to retire before the end of the economic cycle.

An alternative that may simplify your life would be just to prepare with a home equity line of credit (to be kept at near $0 balance until your move), and pair that with some aggressive saving out of that large income you have.

Do you believe you're behind on saving for retirement and need to catch up with some more skin in the market? People believe rates would shoot up in 2013, yet we're back today just as low.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2341 on: September 09, 2020, 10:18:33 AM »

Bat signal to @Dicey !
@Dicey - Here is the full picture:  our house is actually paid off, a refi cash-out is the option to tap into the equity.  House value appx. $975k, maybe up to $1m.  We're thinking taking out $500k at 2.6% on a 30-yr fixed loan. 

We would like to relocate to a different state for dh's work in the next couple of years and we would like to buy a house there (3 dogs, like to have our own place, etc.)  The plan would be to get a mortgage on this house to have cash on hand to buy a house when we move.  This house would become a rental and the rent would be more than enough to cover all costs, including mortgage payment.  We do not want to sell this house at this time.  After reading some of the posts on here I'm even thinking that when we buy the other house we try to get a loan there as well if the rates are good.  Then we could invest some of the cash.  We have no debt at this time.

What do you think?  Smart, or stupid, idea?  :)

It sounds like you're proposing going into debt for a goal that may be a few years away. Given the mortgage you're describing, you're probably a very high ($300K+) income household. I can understand the hope to qualify for a mortgage while you still have that income and the property is still a primary residence, if you plan to retire before the end of the economic cycle.

An alternative that may simplify your life would be just to prepare with a home equity line of credit (to be kept at near $0 balance until your move), and pair that with some aggressive saving out of that large income you have.

Do you believe you're behind on saving for retirement and need to catch up with some more skin in the market? People believe rates would shoot up in 2013, yet we're back today just as low.

@talltexan - thank you for your reply.  I've been mulling this over.  We are not a high-income household.  In fact, relative to where we live, we would be considered a low-income household.  Dh is in non-profit and I am retired, gross income is $80k per year and we live in a very HCOL area.  We are okay on retirement savings.  The fear on our end is that we would not be able to qualify for a decent mortgage if dh leaves his job and we have to qualify with a similar salary but with a brand new job, I understand that length of employment is a big issue on new loans.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2342 on: September 09, 2020, 10:31:56 AM »

@talltexan - thank you for your reply.  I've been mulling this over.  We are not a high-income household.  In fact, relative to where we live, we would be considered a low-income household.  Dh is in non-profit and I am retired, gross income is $80k per year and we live in a very HCOL area.  We are okay on retirement savings.  The fear on our end is that we would not be able to qualify for a decent mortgage if dh leaves his job and we have to qualify with a similar salary but with a brand new job, I understand that length of employment is a big issue on new loans.

We ran into the employment length issue while qualifying for our last mortgage.  Previously we had lived abroad for several years, and even though we had steller credit ratings, and even though we both had jobs that collectively were ~40% of the mortgage value, and even though we had far more in liquid assets than the amount we were seeking - some banks were hesitant to lend to us because we had just under 2 consecutive years of employment within the US.  Our continuous employment outside of the US counted for nothing.

Our ultimate lender made us jump through so many hoops... including getting letters from our employers testifying that they anticipated keeping us on indefinitely.

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2343 on: September 09, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »
I've been mulling this over.  We are not a high-income household.  In fact, relative to where we live, we would be considered a low-income household.  Dh is in non-profit and I am retired, gross income is $80k per year and we live in a very HCOL area.  We are okay on retirement savings.  The fear on our end is that we would not be able to qualify for a decent mortgage if dh leaves his job and we have to qualify with a similar salary but with a brand new job, I understand that length of employment is a big issue on new loans.
I think lenders also will look at new employment as continuous if it's within the same field. They understand people change jobs frequently for career progression etc. It may not be as big an issue just because he's at company B for < 1 year, but has been in the same career field for 20+ years.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2344 on: September 09, 2020, 01:45:16 PM »
I've been mulling this over.  We are not a high-income household.  In fact, relative to where we live, we would be considered a low-income household.  Dh is in non-profit and I am retired, gross income is $80k per year and we live in a very HCOL area.  We are okay on retirement savings.  The fear on our end is that we would not be able to qualify for a decent mortgage if dh leaves his job and we have to qualify with a similar salary but with a brand new job, I understand that length of employment is a big issue on new loans.
I think lenders also will look at new employment as continuous if it's within the same field. They understand people change jobs frequently for career progression etc. It may not be as big an issue just because he's at company B for < 1 year, but has been in the same career field for 20+ years.

That's interesting.  If that's the case, it would solve a lot of our concerns. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2345 on: September 09, 2020, 02:20:56 PM »

Having been through this recently (see above), what the banks seem to care about is whether you've been employed, not the number of times you have changed jobs.  If you have 5+ years where you can show on your taxes that you have earned above whatever threshold they want for a loan of a particular size, that's what matters.  It can be one job for 5 solid years or 10 different jobs over 5 years that collectively earned you a decent annual income.

Our problem was that, of the previous 5 years, we only had US taxable income in the most recent two.  We had foreign income and even tried to show that on our US taxes (Foreign Taxble Income Exemption) but that didn't fit their boxes.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2346 on: September 10, 2020, 09:42:27 AM »

Having been through this recently (see above), what the banks seem to care about is whether you've been employed, not the number of times you have changed jobs.  If you have 5+ years where you can show on your taxes that you have earned above whatever threshold they want for a loan of a particular size, that's what matters.  It can be one job for 5 solid years or 10 different jobs over 5 years that collectively earned you a decent annual income.

Our problem was that, of the previous 5 years, we only had US taxable income in the most recent two.  We had foreign income and even tried to show that on our US taxes (Foreign Taxble Income Exemption) but that didn't fit their boxes.

This is excellent news!  Thank you, guys.  I've confirmed with a realtor that it's the case.  Huge relief.  So since we don't need to have cash on hand for that, it might not be wise to take out the loan.  Since no one said it's a good idea, I'm guessing people are just to polite to say it's a stupid idea.  I never knew mustachians to be so polite!  :)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2347 on: September 10, 2020, 11:09:00 AM »

Hmm, so I looked into this and I do have the 15 day grace period. I checked my account and compared to the closing disclosure and it would seem you're correct, the projected payoff amount for my loan is equal to my Sept payment + the remaining balance, so it would seem that the Sept payment is rolled into the refi. Interesting.

Thought I would provide an update for posterity: I went ahead and followed @dragoncar s plan and cancelled the ACH for the September payment. Closing was completed on 9/3 and I kept watch and see that my previous mortgage was paid off (after applying the 9/1 payment) on 9/8. There is an escrow balance that mostly matches what i expected to get back after the closing (minus small fees from OG lender) and the new mortgage is active and ready to start on 11/1. Woo!

terrifictim

• Stubble
    • Case Study
« Reply #2348 on: September 10, 2020, 12:53:36 PM »
Just completed my re-fi

30yr
3.00%
0 points
Condo
No Escrow
$31 cash to close
Appraisal waiver
$1099 lender credit
California state
Used LenderFI

Dropped P&I payments from $1070/mth to $793/mth. Get to toss that extra $277/mth into the stock market which will hopefully turn into an extra $340,000 in 30 years :)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2349 on: September 10, 2020, 02:28:15 PM »

This is excellent news!  Thank you, guys.  I've confirmed with a realtor that it's the case.  Huge relief.  So since we don't need to have cash on hand for that, it might not be wise to take out the loan.  Since no one said it's a good idea, I'm guessing people are just to polite to say it's a stupid idea.  I never knew mustachians to be so polite!  :)

You must have caught us on low-stress days.

Seriously, I think the difference between the two tracks will be minor as far as where you sit five years from now, and that's why we're not pushing you strongly. I think that because I think rates are going to stay low for a while.

You know when else I thought they'd stay low? October 2016. You've been warned.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!