Author Topic: De-sugaring  (Read 63419 times)

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
Re: De-sugaring
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2015, 05:55:38 AM »
I'm back on the wagon. We'll see how I do this time around.
Started riding the bike to work again, too.

Nancy

« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2015, 07:21:30 AM »

The question is: What do I replace those things with? High protein low carb snacks seem to be the most obvious choice, which translates to... nuts. Almonds, specifically. I like almonds, but what else is there to nibble on? Do I make "three meals, no snacks" a goal too?

Welcome, begood! I eat fruit. People will say don't eat fruit, but research has failed to show a negative impact of eating whole fruit, even a lot of it. (Do some research and make up your own mind.) Fruit is so incredibly sweet to me now. I also eat high protein snacks like nuts and peanut butter. I eat a lot of snacks during the day, but I'm really active. Good luck!

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »
I cut out the sugar months ago when I was craving sugary stuff and getting a lot of headaches.  Now my SO and I have cut out as much sugar as possible.  We still use it in some baking, but once we started reading labels we stopped buying a lot of foods we used to (like dried cranberries).  Both of us are sleeping better and he lost a little weight.  I'm in my third trimester and while I haven't lost weight (don't want to until after the baby is born), but I also haven't put on any more than I already have (20 lbs).  My doctor was concerned at first then I told him what I'm eating and what I've cut out and he was impressed.  Cutting out sugar also means cutting out a bunch of processed food.  I'm also no longer having typical "pregnancy cravings"

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
Ugh...popping in to get back on the band wagon. Took a wee (okay month) break while on vacation. I don't regret it - but my body is feeling it for sure!

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2015, 04:21:40 PM »
Popping back in to get some accountability.  Fell off the wagon since mid-January, and things went totally out of control this weekend.  Milanos, Oreos, the works. :(

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »
I have been doing fairly well - as long as people stop trying to feed me...I have decided it is okay to take 1 of something to be polite and really work on it at home.

So much savory baking calls for sugar and I have been leaving it out and not really noticing a difference. We are getting our first delivery of CSA for the season so I am hoping with lots of healthy veggies to eat it will be easier. Having them prepped right away, I have discovered, is the secret to actually eating them.

I am struggling with a bit of a  dilemma though. My MIL went through the whole breast cancer diagnosis, radiation and chemo regime 5 years ago. She is clean (for now) but eats a SHIT TON of sugar. With even conventional medicine starting to acknowledge that sugar feeds and promotes cancer growth...I just don't get it. She is a smart lady. I try and casually share stuff in places she might read (facebook) but it seems like she knows but doesn't care. She also watched her mother be destroyed by dementia...so part of me wonders if she has decided to just live life and die early because she doesn't want to go out that way...but I feel like I should be doing more to convince her how important it is...but Hubs thinks it is pretty much a lost cause. ...for now I am trying to do the "lead by example" route...which you know only works if I keep up with it :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2015, 06:28:31 PM »
I did this for a while, then fell off the wagon big time. However, I'm back on as of last Friday, and Saturday was the big family reunion with potluck lunch from some of the best country cooks in the world. This meant a Spread. Of. Desserts. never seen outside a Fannie Flag novel. I stuck to it. I didn't even check to see if my own blackberry cobbler was any good (luckily, I have a husband for this).

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2015, 06:41:53 PM »
I'm doing really well with the processed sugar. I still eat fruit, but not tons.

My concern is that I use a lot of artificial sweetener. I chew a lot of gum, I use Splenda in my coffee and tea (two cups of coffee and one of tea each day), and maybe one or two diet sodas a week. I know it's not supposed to be good for you, but it seems to help me when I want something sweet.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2015, 07:26:30 PM »
I'm doing really well with the processed sugar. I still eat fruit, but not tons.

My concern is that I use a lot of artificial sweetener. I chew a lot of gum, I use Splenda in my coffee and tea (two cups of coffee and one of tea each day), and maybe one or two diet sodas a week. I know it's not supposed to be good for you, but it seems to help me when I want something sweet.

I would rather use regular or raw sugar instead of artificial sweeteners.  It has been shown that use of artificial sweeteners increase the cravings for more "sugary" type foods. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2015, 10:27:47 PM »

I would rather use regular or raw sugar instead of artificial sweeteners.  It has been shown that use of artificial sweeteners increase the cravings for more "sugary" type foods.
+100 All the research I have done on artificial sweetening has made me come to the conclusion that it is so.much.worse then regular sugar if I feel the need to indulge I will reach for sugar (although more likely honey, maple syrup or coconut sap) every time.

Among other things artificial sweetener gives you the taste and mouth feel of sweet but it does not trigger the satisfied chemicals in your brain the same way sugar does, so you crave the "sweet taste" even more. Going without sugar can be a pain (physically) when you are adjusting but the cool thing is when you reset your taste buds for "sweet" things you appreciate the natural sweetness so much more. The bit of lactose that is in the milk in your coffee and the caramelized flavour of the coffee beans etc.

If you still want to chew gum opt for the xylitol sweetened which is good for your teeth instead of the artificially flavored ones - just keep them away from your dog, if you have one!

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2015, 06:54:09 AM »

The question is: What do I replace those things with? High protein low carb snacks seem to be the most obvious choice, which translates to... nuts. Almonds, specifically. I like almonds, but what else is there to nibble on? Do I make "three meals, no snacks" a goal too?

Welcome, begood! I eat fruit. People will say don't eat fruit, but research has failed to show a negative impact of eating whole fruit, even a lot of it. (Do some research and make up your own mind.) Fruit is so incredibly sweet to me now. I also eat high protein snacks like nuts and peanut butter. I eat a lot of snacks during the day, but I'm really active. Good luck!

Thanks.  I'm a big fruit eater, so I wonder about it.  I bring my lunch to work, and it almost always is mainly fruit.  I have tried to dial back some and replace some of it with things like carrots and beans, but at the same time I'm sorely tempted now that the summer stone fruits are in season.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »

Thanks.  I'm a big fruit eater, so I wonder about it.  I bring my lunch to work, and it almost always is mainly fruit.  I have tried to dial back some and replace some of it with things like carrots and beans, but at the same time I'm sorely tempted now that the summer stone fruits are in season.

I don't really have an issue with fruit - we eat mostly huckleberries because we can forage them - but I think whole fruit is fine.

I have been making a batch of bean dip on Sunday nights and chopping up a bunch of carrots and portioning them into lunch size containers and it has been working well. The nice thing about the dips are you can vary what you are dipping in them. I make my own crackers. Or you can use it as a spread for sandwiches. Currently going through some pinto bean dip. Last weekend I made a white bean dip with some fried capers on top.  Fried capers were a bit of a revelation for me. Crispy, salty very tasty!http://tohercore.com/white-bean-dip-with-crispy-capers/

Cookie

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »
I fell of the wagon big time! My small town got a doughnut shop in may, and it seems every get together someone brought doughnuts. Working in a school at the end of the year was crazy! I learned I have almost no willpower against these things.

This summer I'm getting back on track! I recently watched Fed Up which helped motivate me. Hopefully next school year I will have a buff doughnut willpower muscle.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2015, 07:36:14 PM »
Still on track. Last night I was really craving chocolate, but I remembered my "ice cream" trick - 1 1/2 frozen bananas and 2 tso of cocoa in the blender with just enough water to get it to cooperate. Near instant guilt free "dark chocolate ice cream." Doesn't need any added sugar, just the bananas, which you don't taste at all.

I'm def. not worrying about fruit either.

Nancy

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2015, 06:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the link, swick!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »
Thanks for the link, swick!

No Prob!It totally amazes me how fast your taste buds rearrange themselves. On The weekend I made some huckleberry cornbread sweetened with about 1/4 cup of honey for the whole recipe. When I first made it I ate a couple of pieces no big deal. Yesterday, I had some and after two bites I found it so sweet I didn't want anymore....Hubby's brother who eats a ton of sugar found it not nearly sweet enough and really only ate a piece to be nice :)

I have found that grazing throughout the day works much better for me then eating three meals a day, helps with sugar cravings and keeps blood sugar stable (I'm Hypoglycemic) But instead of grazing mindlessly, I'll make a meal or snack and keep it beside me while I am working and have a bite every now and again.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2015, 08:47:04 AM »
I am so excited. Double score. I got my boyfriend to replace most of the fruit juice he drinks with Crystal Light, which obviously has no sugar, and also costs about a fourth as much as fruit juice. He enjoys the Crystal Light and now intends to only drink one small glass of fruit juice a day instead of probably three big ones.

He is very fit, but in the year I've known him I've estimated he gets nearly half his calories from fruit juice or chocolate milk. Crystal Light might not be a perfect beverage due to the artificial sweetener, but I'm considering this a positive step on the whole.

I told him I have no problem making him another pitcher whenever one runs out. Our grocery bill will go down, too. Woo hoo!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2015, 03:24:07 PM »
Still going here. No sucrose since June 4, other than some incidental in ketchup - not eating a burger without ketchup.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2015, 05:12:23 AM »
Ugh, I need to join this bandwagon!

And good snacking tips to help me get through?

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2015, 05:30:09 AM »

There's always not snacking. Just eat what you need at regular meals. I never snack.

But if you must, nuts, homemade granola, any vegetable, etc.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2015, 05:53:16 AM »

I stocked up on olive, pickles, baby carrots, and cucumbers to slice and eat with homemade onion dip (plain fat free yogurt and onion soup mix - pretty healthy if you're not watching sodium).

Also apples and bananas because I'm not worrying about fructose.

Editing to clarify I'm not worrying about naturally-occurring fructose. I've cut out high fructose corn syrup as well as sucrose. Still on track, none since June 4.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:56:08 AM by Rural »

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »
I gave up most sugar two years ago. About three months after I cut sugar out of my diet, I had bloodwork done. My numbers were great. That has kept me on the path -- I really want to avoid the late-onset diabetes that my (a little older sister) has been dealing with.

I have something sweet very occasionally, but don't have any urge to continue with it as long as the use is very occasional. For my birthday, I made a cake with buttercream icing. The cake was going stale, I was eating it so slowly, and I tossed it out. Recently, I also brought home a tin of cookies from the office that was a freebie and that noone else wanted. I didn't want the cookies -- but I really wanted the tin. So I tossed the cookies out. I hate to waste the food, but don't see the value in passing on food that isn't good for anyone.

I find I have to keep working at eliminating sugar sources. I was eating low fat yogurt with fruit in it, but I couldn't tell from the labelling how much sugar was being added by the fruit and how much by added sugar. I bought some little food containers, and started adding frozen fruit (no sugar) on the bottom, topping it with low fat Greek yogurt, and they were much less sweet. So, the answer was much more of the sweetness was coming from the added sugar. It took a couple of days for my tastebuds to adapt, but I like this much better.

People have with the best of intentions told me about substitutes for baked goods. But my reason was to replace the sugar with food with nutritional value. So my breakfasts are some kind of low fat protein and vegetables. (I like eggs and I like fish. I've recently switched to egg white scrambles, so I can have eggs more often.) My snacks generally focus on protein and vegetables and some fruit. I haven't lost any weight, but I have lots more energy, better mood.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »
I gave up most sugar two years ago. About three months after I cut sugar out of my diet, I had bloodwork done. My numbers were great. That has kept me on the path -- I really want to avoid the late-onset diabetes that my (a little older sister) has been dealing with.

I have something sweet very occasionally, but don't have any urge to continue with it as long as the use is very occasional. For my birthday, I made a cake with buttercream icing. The cake was going stale, I was eating it so slowly, and I tossed it out. Recently, I also brought home a tin of cookies from the office that was a freebie and that noone else wanted. I didn't want the cookies -- but I really wanted the tin. So I tossed the cookies out. I hate to waste the food, but don't see the value in passing on food that isn't good for anyone.

I find I have to keep working at eliminating sugar sources. I was eating low fat yogurt with fruit in it, but I couldn't tell from the labelling how much sugar was being added by the fruit and how much by added sugar. I bought some little food containers, and started adding frozen fruit (no sugar) on the bottom, topping it with low fat Greek yogurt, and they were much less sweet. So, the answer was much more of the sweetness was coming from the added sugar. It took a couple of days for my tastebuds to adapt, but I like this much better.

People have with the best of intentions told me about substitutes for baked goods. But my reason was to replace the sugar with food with nutritional value. So my breakfasts are some kind of low fat protein and vegetables. (I like eggs and I like fish. I've recently switched to egg white scrambles, so I can have eggs more often.) My snacks generally focus on protein and vegetables and some fruit. I haven't lost any weight, but I have lots more energy, better mood.

Yeah, I never waste food. But with sugary stuff, I no longer really see it as "food". It's a weird transition for me. I used to eat anything I could find. And then when I gained 70 pounds I had to change a lot of habits.

I find that since I don't eat it regularly, sugary stuff just doesn't taste as good anymore. A nice thing :)

Cookie

« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »
Yeah, I never waste food. But with sugary stuff, I no longer really see it as "food". It's a weird transition for me.

I'm slowly getting there!

I love cereal, but it has so much sugar so I cut that out and am now enjoying oatmeal or overnight oats with added blueberries.

I also finished up my last cartons of almond and soy milk and plan on making my own going forward so they will have no sugar.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2015, 05:06:34 PM »
Yeah, I never waste food. But with sugary stuff, I no longer really see it as "food". It's a weird transition for me.

I'm slowly getting there!

I love cereal, but it has so much sugar so I cut that out and am now enjoying oatmeal or overnight oats with added blueberries.

I also finished up my last cartons of almond and soy milk and plan on making my own going forward so they will have no sugar.

I eat this with milk for breakfast every morning. No sugar. I also eat it for lunch (no milk) along with almonds. Cheap and easy.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/brought-breakfast-and-lunch-to-work-for-60-days-straight/msg377219/#msg377219

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »
I find that since I don't eat it regularly, sugary stuff just doesn't taste as good anymore. A nice thing :)

I even find vegetables like carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes just taste too sweet for me.

I'll be honest, though. I am still partial to a couple of sugar treats. I'm not going to name them, though. If I do, I may trigger everyone naming (and craving) their sweet favourites, just like sometimes happens at a weight-loss meeting. Good thing, though -- these items are definitely easier to avoid now that I not in an office, so it is a while since I have had a taste.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2015, 06:03:03 PM »

Maybe you've said this somewhere else, but what recipe will you use?

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
I eat this with milk for breakfast every morning. No sugar. I also eat it for lunch (no milk) along with almonds. Cheap and easy.
straight/msg377219/#msg377219

What kind of supper do you eat? And any snacks? Just refer me if I've missed this.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
straight/msg377219/#msg377219

What kind of supper do you eat? And any snacks? Just refer me if I've missed this.

No snacks. For dinner I'll eat any variety of things. But it pretty much always has some meat, some vegetables, and some carb. Tonight we had some slow-cooked pulled pork, some Thai peanut pasta salad, and a whole ton of berries I got on sale. I think Tuesday I'll cook up a bunch of sauted spinach, some pasta with a meat sauce, and eat more of the berries. Sometimes we do something without meat, like beans and spanish rice, but I find that's not enough protein for me so I'll drink some milk with it or eat some meat too. Other things we commonly make are roasted vegetables, stir fries, caseroles, chicken salad, macaroni and cheese with sausage (from scratch), chicken (baked, fried), sauted cabbage, etc. I make a big batch of whatever it is (e.g. 2 baking pans full of vegetables, 2 pounds of pasta, sauce with 2-3 pounds of meat) and we eat that for a week. It makes it easy to have nice food all ready when we get home from work.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »
I put some more detailed stuff in my Journal for referencing more easily:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/forummm's-journal/msg704139/#msg704139

Cookie

« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2015, 02:30:32 AM »
Maybe you've said this somewhere else, but what recipe will you use?

Someone else on the forums mentioned they bought a soy milk maker to save money on tofu and soy milk. They convinced me to buy one too. It is super easy and you just soak 1/2 cup of soy beans overnight, then put them in the machine with water and it does the rest for you. In 25 minutes you'll strain out the pulp.

Almond milk can be done in a blender. Just soak 1 cup of almonds overnight. Then add to 3.5 cups of water in a blender. Then use a nut bag strainer to filter out the pulp.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »
I wonder what almond and soy milks taste like without sugar. I was astounded when I saw how much was added to the store versions.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2015, 07:53:01 AM »
I wonder what almond and soy milks taste like without sugar. I was astounded when I saw how much was added to the store versions.

I usually get unsweetened almond milk. After that, the regular stuff tastes like syrup.

Cookie

« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2015, 03:19:50 PM »

So far I've made the soy milk and it really doesn't have much of a taste. It's not something I would ever drink plain, but in my coffee and in a recipe it's been great. I've tried making an alfredo sauce with the store bought kind and it turned out sweet, which was gross! I'm excited to have some good alfredo sauce!

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2015, 08:24:31 PM »
I've decided to do a 30-day refined sugar fast. The fact is that I don't even like refined sugar (too sweet) and it makes me feel awful. (Also, I'm at risk for diabetes.) And yet I eat ice cream when stressed/bored.

Goals:
Long-term => Live (refined) sugar free 99.9% of the time for the rest of my life
Short-term => Live (refined) sugar free for 30 days (June 23-July 23)

Some of my tools will be:
- Healthy tasty food on hand
- Take this process one day at a time
- Exercising every day (I do this already)
- Think of this as giving a gift to my future self

I found some good tips re: habit-making here:
- The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2015, 09:05:09 PM »
I've decided to do a 30-day refined sugar fast. The fact is that I don't even like refined sugar (too sweet) and it makes me feel awful. (Also, I'm at risk for diabetes.) And yet I eat ice cream when stressed/bored.

Goals:
Long-term => Live (refined) sugar free 99.9% of the time for the rest of my life
Short-term => Live (refined) sugar free for 30 days (June 23-July 23)

Some of my tools will be:
- Healthy tasty food on hand
- Take this process one day at a time
- Exercising every day (I do this already)
- Think of this as giving a gift to my future self

I found some good tips re: habit-making here:
- The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do

My craving for sugar disappeared really, really quickly, so that the willpower tools weren't necessary. Hope this happens for you too.

Good luck!!

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »
My craving for sugar disappeared really, really quickly, so that the willpower tools weren't necessary. Hope this happens for you too.

Good luck!!

Thank you for the encouraging words choppingwood! May I ask what are your go-to treats these days?

Report:
- June 23 & June 24 have been sugar free.
- No cravings. Had fresh blueberries for dessert on both days.
- Found out I need to lose another 30 lbs to get to a healthy BMI. Living refined-sugar free should help w/that.

Cookie

« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »
I can already see a difference. I'm already petite, but no sugar these past 2 weeks has slimmed down the belly a bit (only noticeable to me, but still). I'm not even missing my cereal!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:00:34 PM by Cookie »

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »

Good luck!!

Thank you for the encouraging words choppingwood! May I ask what are your go-to treats these days?

I like mandarin oranges, grapes, half a banana, or when in season cherries and blueberries as a hand fruit. Radishes, when they are fresh from my CSA garden. Good quality low fat cheese (mozzarella or javarti) and whole wheat crackers. Low fat yogurt with some unsweetened fruit. In the evening, especially in winter, popcorn. Note these are all (except the popcorn) virtually no prep. Easy to take along with me.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
I can already see a difference. I'm already petite, but no sugar these past 2 weeks has slimmed down the belly a bit (only noticeable to me, but still). I'm not even missing my cereal!

Way to go Cookie! How cool that you can see results.

I like mandarin oranges, grapes, half a banana, or when in season cherries and blueberries as a hand fruit. Radishes, when they are fresh from my CSA garden. Good quality low fat cheese (mozzarella or javarti) and whole wheat crackers. Low fat yogurt with some unsweetened fruit. In the evening, especially in winter, popcorn. Note these are all (except the popcorn) virtually no prep. Easy to take along with me.

This is a great list - I love everything on it. I hadn't thought of the cheese option. And thank you for the winter popcorn idea. Reminds me that winter will be a real challenge with dark days and less fresh fruit. I need to develop a repertoire of satisfying (chewy/crunchy) winter-time healthy treats.

Oh, and this is day 3 of no sugar.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
I'll be joining this gauntlet- probably totally on board after the 4th of July (family hosts a huge party).

Just found out I have a gene mutation that puts me at high risk for multiple cancers- kick in the but to get off of the processed food and sugar completely.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
I don't think that I'll ever get to a no sugar place, but where I am right now is utterly ridiculous. I don't understand it. I was never a huge sweets fan, and I always hated ice cream. Now I eat chocolate all day long (literally from the minute that I wake up until I go to sleep), and I feel antsy if we don't have any ice cream in the house. I've been wondering if it has anything to do with having to give up gluten (not as a lifestyle choice, but because I was hospitalized for two weeks in 2010). Maybe the stuff that I was eating was quickly turning into sugar and my body misses it?

I don't know, but I do know that I am not stoked about how I feel. My husband was able to drop sugar for the past week, eating fresh fruit to replace it. I feel like growling at the idea of being kept from chocolate. That in itself probably means that it's time.

I'll definitely be along for the ride and will check out I Quit Sugar.

IT IS ADDICTIVE.  Just because it is sold over the counter doesn't mean that it's okay to eat it.  Also, for those of you that think you can "dabble" by eating just on the weekend I think you'll be in for a surprize.  Some can do it, but most go right back into the addiction mode.  It's like dabbling in crack.

Understand it for what it is, and that is not innocuous.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2015, 01:04:55 PM »
After eliminating much of the processed sugar from my normal diet, I find that eating the things I used to crave (cake, candy) mostly only tastes good for a few bites. Then, while sometimes I still keep eating it, I get much less enjoyment out of it, so it's longer before I do it again.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »
Just found out I have a gene mutation that puts me at high risk for multiple cancers- kick in the but to get off of the processed food and sugar completely.

Ugh - that's scary. My kick in the pants is having diabetes on both sides of family and both of my parents have it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2015, 08:41:33 AM »
Day 5 and absolutely no cravings. I did have dream last night that I was eating a huge ice cream sandwich (I don't even like them in real life) and wasn't enjoying myself at all. Tomorrow I head out for vacation and look forward to being totally distracted for a couple weeks. I really want to reset my diet to be refined sugar free.

Good luck to everyone!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2015, 07:42:51 PM »
Well, after a pretty long streak of successfully limiting sugar to occasional weekend desserts only, I fell pretty hard off the wagon in May.  Ready to get myself back on now.  I'm starting off with a goal of no sugar for July.

One thing I struggle with is that there are ROUTINELY (like, at least once a week these days) cookies/pastries left over from meetings on our admin's desk.  She is ALWAYS coming by to tell me "oh, I've got XYZ at my desk, come get some!".  My goal the next time this happens is to tell her I'll be over "in a minute" and then take myself for a walk around the block, by which time other office vultures will have hopefully dealt with the problem.

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »
I randomly quit sugar on December 16, 2014 and haven't had any problems with cravings.  Once the sugar was out of my system I quit craving it.  Now I just eat fruit and even nuts taste sweet to me.  Now that it is hot and everyone is eating ice cream at night I just blend a frozen banana with a little unsweetened almond or coconut milk, a heaping tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa and a date.  It's delicious and nutritious.  :)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2015, 08:05:12 PM »
I just blend a frozen banana with a little unsweetened almond or coconut milk, a heaping tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa and a date.  It's delicious and nutritious.  :)

Love this - will try it!

Same experience here - no craving for refined sugar. Love me some fruit and nuts.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »
Officially starting today- let the craving begin!

HoosierGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »
I'm so happy to have found this thread because  I am a sugar fiend, lol. I found MMM a couple weeks ago and started putting the principles into practice this past week. Part of this was taking my lunch everyday and vowing not to spend anything during the day. I've done great except for Tuesday-I was stressed so I bought a chocolate chip cookie 😡

Other than the cookie I've been sugar and mostly carb free all week. I find I'm not as ravenous when I don't feed the sugar addiction but the worst time is on weekends when I'm home with the family. I had a great protein packed breakfast and wasnt hungry the rest of the day until about 4:30. so far I've had no sugar so I'm going to reward myself with a bike ride