Author Topic: Creating an exercise habit for the previously unfit  (Read 61395 times)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
Re: Creating an exercise habit for the previously unfit
« Reply #250 on: September 04, 2017, 08:27:48 AM »
I put on running clothes

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
Nice work there, Elle!  :D

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »
I put on running clothes
I challenge you to a 15 minute walk outside! Go go go!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »
Two short hikes today, less than an hour total, but hey I got out and moved!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2017, 10:40:59 PM »
Does running down the hallway to my baby whenever he makes even the tiniest noise in his sleep count? No? Okay. Guess I'll take him for a walk later in the afternoon then.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »
Walked 2.2km.  More, tomorrow!

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »
Hitting a wall at the moment.  I know, I know, it's not easy to try to balance diet and exercise.  But right now I have lost about 5 pounds, but with happening, I feel like I have lead bricks attached to my limbs when I exercise.  Just a total lack of energy, (and I am trying to avoid the temptation for sugary treats to help perk me up).

I probably just have to tough this through, but it really sucks right now.  Any advice?

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2017, 11:47:46 AM »
Visited big city to see kid and grandkid on the weekend.  Spent 3 days chasing a highly mobile 14 month old around, walking the beach, walking up and down stairs in the hotel due to elevator issues, and up and down more stairs due to escalator issues in subway stations.  Today I am just letting my knees recover, but will get back outside tomorrow to walk.   DIL complimented that 'for someone my age' I was exceptionally mobile.  I'll take it.   : )

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »
Walked 5.2km today (some pretty fast, due to tardiness; some wearing bub).

Hitting a wall at the moment.  I know, I know, it's not easy to try to balance diet and exercise.  But right now I have lost about 5 pounds, but with happening, I feel like I have lead bricks attached to my limbs when I exercise.  Just a total lack of energy, (and I am trying to avoid the temptation for sugary treats to help perk me up).

I probably just have to tough this through, but it really sucks right now.  Any advice?

How long have you been off sugar?  If it's been less than 10 days, IME it gets easier.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2017, 06:36:12 PM »
Walked 5.2km today (some pretty fast, due to tardiness; some wearing bub).

How long have you been off sugar?  If it's been less than 10 days, IME it gets easier.

That would be 0 days without sugar.  I'm normally pretty good, but the free stache of cookies at work gets me 1-2 times per week.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »
Does running down the hallway to my baby whenever he makes even the tiniest noise in his sleep count? No? Okay. Guess I'll take him for a walk later in the afternoon then.

I went for an hour long walk around my neighbourhood. Go me.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #261 on: September 05, 2017, 09:06:05 PM »

I went for an hour long walk around my neighbourhood. Go me.

AGREE.  Anything is an achievement when you're caring for a baby, round the clock!

Cali Nonya: perhaps resolve to resist the cookies for two weeks and see how you feel then.  If you force your body to seek non-sugar energy it might adjust and get used to that.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: September 05, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »
We did the Monument Geyser Basin hike (2.8 miles, 700 feet elevation change) and it took us 1.5 hours roughly.
We were pooped. I am so not fit anymore!
After that we did a couple of shorter boardwalk type hikes 1.6 miles and the other I don't remember.

All in all I got some good exercise today, but boy am I out of shape.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: September 06, 2017, 04:05:37 AM »
A few hours of gardening, followed by a half an hour walk.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #264 on: September 06, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
Oktis:

I agree.  I'm going to try to just maintain where I am at (with my routine exercise) and cut the processed snack and sugar for 2 weeks.
Resisting Free Food is hard though.  :)

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: September 06, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
Yoga class tonight!

Cali Nonya,  I hear you on the free food issue!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:33 PM »
Nice work there, Elle!  :D
Hugz!

After that I lay in bed for hours, until I was forced to dress and leave the house. But then I walked/ran that night on the treadmill. I'm going to do that again, so that I survive the 5k on Saturday

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #267 on: September 06, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
Go ElleFiji!  🏃🏻

Walked 1.8km for errands.  Should be more, tomorrow. 

Wrangled both little troublemakers on my own tonight, while making a nutritious dinner and cleaning up after.  Not going to have booze or junk food, though they would sure be helpful with coping with all the adulting!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #268 on: September 06, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »
Good work adulting! And I think those of you with under 5s should get bonus kms for working so hard

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »
...  I downloaded a "body weight exercises for women" ebook.  I believe I am not capable of doing any of them.
A great resource for variations on many bodyweight exercises, and some guidelines about progression, is 'You Are Your Own Gym'. It has variations to make many things easier (or more challenging) as your fitness progresses, with a good guide.

Another variation that uses bars (like a jungle gym) is 'Raising the Bar', for even more variations. But You Are Your Own Gym really opened my eyes to a lot of variations.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2017, 07:54:13 AM »
Figured I'd join in on this, as I need to keep my motivation up to maintain my weekly resistance training schedule, and accountability helps. I've been out of any kind of formalized training since February of last year, and even that was like... Gym once a month, so barely counts. I tend to peter out after like a month, even before my progress plateaus (!). I'm just pretty lazy.

For any notes on why this exercise record looks odd, it's following the 'Big 5' protocol from the book 'Body By Science' by McGuff and Little. Goal is to either increase time under tension until positive failure, amount of weight lifted, or reduce rest/maintain it at the same level. The workout is a circuit of 5 exercises, designed to be done with as little rest in between as possible.

2017-09-02-
Row- Increased weight by 10% over last week; need to see how I do next workout to gauge progress.
Chest press - Cut rest time by 50% but maintained same time-under tension- counting that as a win.
Pull Down - Cut rest by 50%, increased load by 10%, but lower time under tension (expected.) Still above my target time, so will likely increase load again next workout.
Shoulder Press - Increased weight by 7%, cut rest by 50%, TUT down 17%. Will see what happens next week at same load.
Inclined Leg Press - Cut rest by 50%, maintained weight, increased TUT by 30%. Great success! Scary to be under that much weight, though.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »
I haven't tracked specifics for the last few days, but I have been walking more and a couple of days ago started doing squats and deadlifts.  Going slow.  I actually hate squats but I need to build up my legs and I figured between squats and deadlifts with a 35 lb kettleball is a good way to start and I can do it while watching a show.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2017, 06:51:10 PM »
I'm really liking my car being parked "part way." I drive to Location A, walk Kid from there to Location B, walk back to A, walk back to B to get him again, walk with him back to A. This is helping.

Today it was finally cool! And rainy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My whole body was so happy, it started to run and run up the dirt hill!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2017, 11:44:01 PM »
Walked 2.9km, 70 mins of yoga.

Third day in a row without junk food or booze.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2017, 03:11:30 PM »
Walked 2.9km, 70 mins of yoga.

Third day in a row without junk food or booze.

Three days avoiding anything with processed sugar.
Did have a beer though.
:)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2017, 11:58:57 PM »
Walked 7.2km but had candy, ice cream, alcohol, and other unnecessary sugar.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2017, 11:59:51 PM »
Only a short walk this morning because it was too sunny. Will have to get out for a longer walk this afternoon.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2017, 09:49:56 PM »
5k race tonight went really well! I like the night race format and would be up for a similar not too serious race another time. It worked well socially too!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
5k race tonight went really well! I like the night race format and would be up for a similar not too serious race another time. It worked well socially too!

Congratulations!!  🎉

ETA: walked 3.25km today but had alcohol, ice cream, and chocolate.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:29:33 AM by okits »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2017, 03:55:50 AM »
Only a short walk this morning because it was too sunny. Will have to get out for a longer walk this afternoon.

Aaaand it was pouring with rain for the part of the afternoon when I could have taken the baby out.

Aaaand today the baby's sleep didn't line up with the part of the day when the UV is low enough to go out for a long walk.

Looks like I need to dig out some strength training DVDs.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #280 on: September 11, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »
2017-09-09

Row- 0% improvement on weight or TUT. Didn't go down, either, but still. Boo.
Chest Press- Dropped TUT by 12%, same weight. Started feeling some painful pings and twinges from an old left shoulder injury, so I backed off it. Not great, but starting physio this week. Hoping to improve it, but a key rule I follow when lifting heavy weights is 'muscle burns are ok, anything sharp/joint related- back it off.'
Pulldown- Increased weight by 9%,  dropped TUT by 16%. Next week should hopefully show improvement in TUT, but nothing unexpected here.
Shoulder Press- Increased TUT by 10% on same weight! Woo! Next week, hoping break 90 seconds and then I'll be ready for the next weight increase!
Inclined Leg Press- TUT went down by 20% on same weight (boo) but that was also when rest went down by 67%- so not going to worry too much. I'll start worrying if nothing improves next week.

I know I've been sleeping like crap recently, so that could have an effect on lack of performance. Well, nothing to do but keep going. If enough workouts stall, then I'll have to consider adding more rest days, but we're a bit early in the process for that, I think...

Walked 7.2km but had candy, ice cream, alcohol, and other unnecessary sugar.

Well, that was a 4 day streak sugar free! No small victories.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2017, 12:58:18 PM »
Went for a 3+mile walk yesterday in the morning, then spent 2 hours strolling around the mall in the afternoon with Rockstache. Very good day for movement!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: September 11, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »
Picked up a 150-pound Great Dane and shoved her in an SUV for a late-night speeding-to-the-emergency-vet session. Then helped her in again with significant boosting again today for a followup with our regular vet. Also exercised wallet a great deal in this process, though the regular vet wouldn't accept any payment.

The baby is going to be fine at least for a while - a strain or injury to her back of some sort led to her back legs not working properly last night (they think inflammation was pinching nerves), and a great deal of vomiting because she panicked. Looked very much like a neurotoxin in the initial symptoms, hence the adrenaline that let me lift her.

Yeah, I won't be getting much other exercise for a while. Healing my own strains now. I may steal some muscle relaxers from my dog. :)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: September 11, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
12 minutes exercise bike.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #284 on: September 11, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
Rural, yikes. I'm so glad it looks like your dog will be okay.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: September 11, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about your dog, Rural! Hope both of you will heal up quickly!!

Today: A couple of short easy hikes (10-20 min) and a longer moderate one (1 hour).
Beautiful views!

Yesterday: Two short 30 min easy hikes

9/9 and 9/8 just exercising chat and laughter muscles with Meadow Lark, oh and walking to the store from the parking lot to get a treat, LOL!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: September 11, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »
Rural - oh no!  I hope you, doggie, and your wallet all get to rest and recover.

Yesterday and today I walked 3.3km (going completely different places, so odd it ended up being the same distance.) Tomorrow there will be no drinking.  Wednesday there will be no drinking or junk food.  I expect crankiness will ensue. 😛

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: September 13, 2017, 08:27:36 PM »
Yesterday 30 min of Yoga, but at least it's something
Today a couple of short hikes 20-30 Min each. We did a nice offroad drive and stopped at several viewpoints with short walks/hikes

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
Walked yesterday. Walked this morning. With any luck I'll walk again this afternoon :-)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #289 on: September 13, 2017, 09:58:16 PM »
Yesterday, walked 3.75km.  Today, 7.7km. 

Yesterday, junk food.  Today, booze and junk food.  They were stressful days.  Hoping the constructive actions I've taken mean tomorrow, etc. will be less stressful (so less eat-y).

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #290 on: September 13, 2017, 11:02:17 PM »
Yesterday, junk food.  Today, booze and junk food.

okits, yours are my most loved reports, lol!!

I'm sorry your last two days were stressy. Bummer.
Walking, junk food, and booze sound like good medicine.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2017, 07:02:15 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes all. Puppy (who is actually now a senior dog) and I both seem to be recovering, and as for the wallet, well, this is what money is for.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »
20 minute walk outside. It's finally cool enough today to walk outside, and I enjoyed it so much!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #293 on: September 14, 2017, 08:45:34 PM »
Extra walk today
Kettlebells earlier this week, and yoga is getting more steady

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: September 14, 2017, 10:15:52 PM »
Walked this morning. Again, hoping for an afternoon walk as well.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #295 on: September 15, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »
I was on my feet all day, but actual walking to/from places, 4.5km.  Then an hour of easy yoga.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2017, 08:09:08 AM »
I finally made it back to zumba. Still so fun!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
25 minute walk

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2017, 09:26:06 PM »
Daily walks continue to happen. Go me!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2017, 10:30:07 PM »
Walked 1km, but no junk food and no booze!