Author Topic: Couch to 5k Challenge  (Read 4419 times)

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
Couch to 5k Challenge
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »
I am not a runner.  I've always joked that if you see me running you should be too.

But here's the thing - running is such a frugal, accessible way to stay fit that I've decided that I'm going to start running.  Went out for a run a few days ago.  I ride my bike daily, so I thought it'd be no big deal.  Boy was I wrong!  I couldn't run for even a full minute (let alone the 20-30 minutes I had planned for) and the next day it felt like my legs had gotten run over by a truck.

So I'm going to start an 8-week couch to 5K program to ease into it  Any non-runners out there want to join me?  I'm starting with W1D1 today!

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
Re: Couch to 5k Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:05:03 AM »
I am not a runner.  I've always joked that if you see me running you should be too.

But here's the thing - running is such a frugal, accessible way to stay fit that I've decided that I'm going to start running.  Went out for a run a few days ago.  I ride my bike daily, so I thought it'd be no big deal.  Boy was I wrong!  I couldn't run for even a full minute (let alone the 20-30 minutes I had planned for) and the next day it felt like my legs had gotten run over by a truck.

So I'm going to start an 8-week couch to 5K program to ease into it  Any non-runners out there want to join me?  I'm starting with W1D1 today!

GOOD luck!

Though for general fitness, short intense sprint-type workouts are much better than steady state running. Tabata interval sprints, burpees, stuff like that. You can get a workout done in much less time (Which is good  if you hate running) and its much better for you physically than distance running (Though I do think you should get to the point where you can run for 2 or 3 miles without stopping).

Regardless, starting is the hardest part, so keep it up!

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
Good work!  Week 1 has been fairly easy for me as well, but I'm gonna stick with the slow start for now.  I'm having trouble taking the number of rest days they recommend though.  I'm starting to look for 5k races to sign up for to give me a deadline / goal to work toward. 

ks135ks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
I'd like to join.  Knowing it might sound like an excuse, I'm going to delay starting for a couple weeks until after we move and unpack.  I got quite fit a few years ago then fell off again.  I'd like to get back to running and fitness. 

Good luck to you all. :)

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:15:23 PM »
I'd like to join.  Knowing it might sound like an excuse, I'm going to delay starting for a couple weeks until after we move and unpack.  I got quite fit a few years ago then fell off again.  I'd like to get back to running and fitness. 

Good luck to you all. :)

For sure - join when you can.  Most C25K programs are 8 weeks, so you'd probably keep pace w/ gmdv

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:41:50 AM »
I did CT5K earlier in the year.

I was very happy with the results having never really ran more than 2k before in one go.  Then concentrated on 5k times and getting into the sub 25min mark.
However I had to leave the country at short notice due to work for several weeks and it messed up my training. 
I still do the occasional run but not the 3 times a week I was doing.  Its crazy how quickly you lose that conditioning.

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
Awesome progress!  Just finished w/ week 1 today.  My pace increased slightly each day (same workout and route).  I think some of it is psychological and maybe getting better at trying to keep a slower pace that I can maintain during the "free form run" part of the workout rather than running fast and burning out quickly, thus having to walk a lot more.

I'd post screenshots too, but in my app you can't get a good pic of the stats without showing the route that I took, which I don't want to do for privacy reasons.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »
I run when chased...  At 5'9 and 210 lbs I am not your typical picture of a "runner", but I now run 7.5 miles to or from work 2-3 times a week, and actually enjoy it.

Personal advice from my on-again/off-again running over the last 15 or so years is as follows:

1)  Use good shoes, not worn out ones.  Simple advise, but a lot of folks solve ankle and foot pain simply by buying new shoes.

2)  Run SLOW.  The biggest mistake I made for a long time was I would go close to full-bore and had huge troubles running more than 3 miles seemingly no matter what.  Intentionally running as slow as you can will let you build up muscles and lungs and you can gradually increase the pace once you have met your target time or distance without feeling destroyed.  12 minute miles are a decent target for a healthy pace while building up, if you are running faster than that and are tiring out, there is your problem.

3)  Rest and recover.  If you hurt, don't run.  2 rest/non-running days between runs early on is a decent target.  It is easy to convince yourself you don't want to lose progress and go out for a run despite a tweaky knee/ankle/hip/back, don't.  You can quickly go from tweak to debilitating injury.  Ride your bike, walk, or just plain rest if you hurt, but don't run while even slightly injured.

4)  Get your distance in, even if you have to walk some of it.  It is easier to go from run-walking 5 miles to running the whole 5 miles than to stop running as soon as you have to break stride and hope to build up to 5 miles (or whatever distance).  Ideally you can just drop down to running super SLOW when you are feeling at your limit and not have to stop in the first place, but I know just how awful even running slow is when you are starting out.

5)  Ride your bike!  Building up lung capacity and upper leg strength with regular rides makes running longer distances much easier than by trying to get there by running alone.  I did not run all winter, but did ride 15 miles a day almost every weekday all winter.  In spring I did a short run, then a couple days later my second run was 5.4 miles with some hills.  My calves were out of shape and took a few more runs to not feel awful after a run, but that is far better than how I felt last year when I had only been bike commuting about 2 days a week through winter.

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 11:49:13 PM »

2)  Run SLOW.  The biggest mistake I made for a long time was I would go close to full-bore and had huge troubles running more than 3 miles seemingly no matter what.  Intentionally running as slow as you can will let you build up muscles and lungs and you can gradually increase the pace once you have met your target time or distance without feeling destroyed.  12 minute miles are a decent target for a healthy pace while building up, if you are running faster than that and are tiring out, there is your problem.

I'm realizing this is some of my problem - it's hard to go slow, but I know it'll help me in the long run (pun in tended).

4n6

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Reaching Our Balance
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 06:41:17 AM »
Well, I keep saying I want to run a 5k so this might be the kick in the pants I need. I tried the couch to 5k plan once before, but never finished. This time I need to do it.  I might use this plan.

http://www.southern7.org/uploads/1/8/3/8/1838087/couch-to-5k.pdf

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 09:42:42 PM »
W2D2 done!  I think I'm getting a little better at pacing - am able to run further during the free form run portion of the workout.

Also, welcome 4n6!  The more the merrier!

Keep up the good work, gmdv - we're all going to have "setbacks" or days where our pace falls behind.  Don't let it discourage you!

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
I am in the middle of C25K. There are podcasts with music that help set your BPM. I find these invaluable to keep me from going too fast or slow. (Also, you should comfortably be able to have a conversation while running. If you're out of breath, you're going too fast. If you're running alone, just say something out loud like, "Is this pace too fast for me to comfortably talk to myself?")

The 3 I've found are Podrunner Intervals, Boogie Shoes Couch to 5k and NHS Couch to 5k. I like Podrunner the best because it doesn't have a lot of chat from the DJ in the middle, and it has audio cues for starting and stopping the run/walk portions. Not music I normally like, but great for running to. Plus he did further podcasts for continuing to 8k and 10k.

And don't forget to stretch! http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml