Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1253797 times)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #1650 on: November 17, 2018, 08:53:04 AM »
I am still really really into this thread!

I think I'm down to close to my bare-bones materialism besides the old family photos.  I might be able to find a thing her and there to give away or sell, but right now I think I am tapped out.

This means the rest of my clean up energy needs to go to my 'Big List', which is... probably about 50% complete?

To be clear, my home is not without fluff, it's just down the essential fluff.  Right now I am staring at this beautiful hand made machete and leather decorate machete sash.  It hangs from the wall like art.
This machete was one of the items left in the first house that I purchased by the prior owners.  Everything else they left I threw out/gave away, but for whatever reason this thing made me smile and seemed like such a whimsical thing to keep.  Now that I've sold that house I keep it as a reminder of that proud amazing moment when I walked into the HOME THAT I HAD JUST PURCHASED and how warm my heart felt... and how I looked over and saw a machete sitting in the kitchen, laughed, and just never got rid of the dang thing.  HA.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1651 on: November 17, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
Up next: neon colored fiesta ware serving plate and gravy boat MIL inexplicably showed up with one day after we bought the house. No room now, so back they go at thanksgiving! Now I need to decide if it's more rude to show up with a large dish at someone else's thanksgiving, or show up with an empty serving platter!

Could you put food in the big serving plate, and send it home with somebody when they take leftovers home? 

As for sentimental stuff from your childhood, how about taking a few photos before you get rid of them?

No, I need to give it to MIL. I can't very well pass a family 'heirloom' onto another person without her permission. Also, it's a giant serving platter, like what you put the turkey on, and weighs about 14lbs, lol.

And I don't *want* to get rid of any of that stuff. That was my point! Photos don't replace the tangible experience of seeing the indents from your hands as a child. And at this point, I'm still not giving up the idea I might have children of my own. So my plan is to try and get rid of enough other stuff that I might be able to make room.

ah bummer!  I see what you mean. How about just quietly disappearing it, and when she asks where it is, say it's "in storage"?

Oh, I see what you mean about your childhood stuff.  Yes, this is what storage space is for. I'm getting rid of a lot of stuff that doesn't matter to me, so I can save a few of the clothes worn by my dad who died.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1652 on: November 17, 2018, 10:51:30 AM »
The way we all list out the specific items we ditch reads like death notices for things. Don't get me wrong; I love this thread. It just struck me as funny and deliciously weird.

Old pillows, sodastream, and computer backpack are added to the donation pile.

Lol, it does seem like an obituary for stuff, doesn't it?

I love this observation (and also like that we give these things one last nod before removing them from our lives)

dashuk

• Bristles
« Reply #1653 on: November 17, 2018, 11:57:29 AM »
OH just freecycled her wedding dress. Listed it for fabric as the actual outer dress had a lot of marks (oh, and a small tear from over-enthusiastic playing of lawn darts during the reception). It never got cleaned after the wedding and a decade of storage didn't do it any favours, but there was a train that never got used, plus all the lining material, etc.  So far, so dull.

But then the woman that came to pick it up said that she wanted the fabric because she used to be in a pop band, they were going on a reunion tour to the Netherlands, and so she was trying to sort out costumes. Way better story than just going into someone's craft stash.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1654 on: November 17, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »
Yesterday was lovely things I never wear : the gorgeous chestnut Kickers, my eelskin cowboy boots, my fluevog heels. They all hurt my feet in some way but have previously escaped the purging because they are souvenirs of Paris, Melbourne and Chicago trips with Ofpym.

Goodbye boots, I hope someone find you and loves you.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1655 on: November 17, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »
We had people over last night. The time spent tidying the living areas, bathroom & kitchen was minimal and it was easy to clean because.. no clutter! High five!

There's still the spare bedroom and study that are too full but I think I'll just shut the door and make peace with those. In 2019 we are building a double garage which will house stuff like skis, bikes, tools, heaters & fans that currently live in these rooms. It's not really possible to arrange stuff that just shouldn't be there in a pleasing way!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #1656 on: November 17, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »
Today is a great day for clearing clutter!

- I sold half my stash of newborn cloth diapers for $80. I only paid $100, so pretty darn good investment.
- I took my free second hand microwave that I myself had for 8 years to the recycling drop it centre.
- Also returned months worth of wine and beer bottles. I don't drink often, so I wait until I get a couple of bucks.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1657 on: November 17, 2018, 07:11:08 PM »
We had people over last night. The time spent tidying the living areas, bathroom & kitchen was minimal and it was easy to clean because.. no clutter! High five!

High five indeed!!! This is my favorite part of keeping things trimmed down- easy clean up!  Yay!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #1658 on: November 17, 2018, 09:27:52 PM »
Although my home continues to be near-empty according to most people's assessments, I want to challenge myself in a couple of areas, revamping to prevent clutter.

1. A new hobby has me making a new batch of "floor paper" pretty much daily. I completed the permanent processing of much of it yesterday, but need to find a way to delete the last 12 sheets and stop making new ones like little bunnies.

2. We've made a decision to stay in our newest city for Christmas, so no trip to other people's Christmas clutter. In planning for ours, Kid said he wants a Christmas that is fancy: a tree, decorations everywhere. LOL. We'll do that. So, I want to:

*get things we can continue using year round or ditch right after (thrift store items, borrowed things, cheap stuff, recyclable stuff, thriftable stuff)
*reduce even our few current things so that + Christmas doesn't suffocate me

Ideas:
*ask him if he'd prefer the xmas stuff be in his (large) room or the living space
*fairy lights (continue using year round)
*cardstock snowflakes hanging from ceiling via taped floss (zero cost; recyclable)
*pine bough wreath (smells terrific; compostable) as dining table centrepiece
*dining chairs have hole perfect for hanging small wreaths through
*10 fake tealights (like candles, but legal in our suite; usable year round)
*propose an xmas altar/stool vs tree (usable year round)
*if a tree of any sort, keep it low to ground, so a few small gifts looks abundant
*diffuse essential oils that have xmasy aromas, like pine, cedar, cloves, orange, etc
*Spotify playlists of a wide range of Christmas/winter/solstice/etc music

3. Commit to finishing painting so I can delete the bulky painting supplies. Alternatively (or also), store the paint spinner can in the storage room so it's not taking up 1/4 of the space in the laundry room. Find out if the storage room is okay for keeping paint we want to use.

4. Delete stuff from the storage room. We've never had one of those before, and mostly keep the landlord's excess in it. But things like my boxes can go now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:05:51 PM by joonifloofeefloo »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1659 on: November 18, 2018, 12:36:00 AM »
The way we all list out the specific items we ditch reads like death notices for things. Don't get me wrong; I love this thread. It just struck me as funny and deliciously weird.

Old pillows, sodastream, and computer backpack are added to the donation pile.

Lol, it does seem like an obituary for stuff, doesn't it?

I love this observation (and also like that we give these things one last nod before removing them from our lives)

I think, for some of us, it serves the same purpose as Marie Kondo's edict to thank your items.  It's a small ritual to mark the change.  Help the emotions.

ETA: just remembered!  I did some decluttering today!  I've got through a lot and it's kind of disappointing when I don't find anything for a while.  But I came across the childhood papers I'd scanned & then saved for a cousin who doesn't use computers much.  Contacted her & dropped them off today, hooray!  I had been looking for a different paper in the paper stack (only one stack these days, woot!), and felt up to dealing with these & another envelope that arrived not too long ago.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 12:48:02 AM by oneday »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1660 on: November 18, 2018, 03:38:17 AM »
Who has watched the Netflix series "Consumed"? It's about families with too much stuff that do a massive declutter. I just watched ep 1 and it made me so anxious seeing all the stuff :) This episode had a happy ending - I hope they all do.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1661 on: November 18, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
Who has watched the Netflix series "Consumed"? It's about families with too much stuff that do a massive declutter. I just watched ep 1 and it made me so anxious seeing all the stuff :) This episode had a happy ending - I hope they all do.

I haven't seen it but had a dream last night about being in a space with slowly encroaching clutter/stuff beginning to take over the living space (so that we were only living in one tiny part of the house). Strange since we aren't adding much or anything to our space at this point!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1662 on: November 18, 2018, 12:55:04 PM »
3. Commit to finishing painting so I can delete the bulky painting supplies. Alternatively (or also), store the paint spinner can in the storage room so it's not taking up 1/4 of the space in the laundry room. Find out if the storage room is okay for keeping paint we want to use.

Gosh, I'm silly sometimes! I just approached the painting-supplies corner. Well, for starters, most things fit inside the spinner's can! Duh. LOL!!!

*Put everything except paint inside the spinner's can. This can go in the storage room and stay accessible, dust-free, in working condition, etc.
*This leaves only a little column of two paint cans in the laundry room.

The laundry room is again so bright, clear, roomy, tidy! That was a two-minute job, if that.

1. A new hobby has me making a new batch of "floor paper" pretty much daily. I completed the permanent processing of much of it yesterday, but need to find a way to delete the last 12 sheets and stop making new ones like little bunnies.

Again, how do I forget how to do these things?? Since they were super whittled down and just "extras", put them into my "processing" box, no problem.

Who has watched the Netflix series "Consumed"? It's about families with too much stuff that do a massive declutter.

Love shows like that, and haven't been able to access any for the last couple of years. So glad to hear there's a Netflix option!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1663 on: November 18, 2018, 01:00:30 PM »
Bed roll gets wide if left to its own devices and physics. Son's rarely-used belt is a perfect fit and makes an easy job of quickly securing a slim roll that stands. Nice.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #1664 on: November 18, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »
@Poundwise when you post your diaper supplies for sale, you can add to the listing that the snaps and cloths can also be used for cloth pads for feminine hygiene. I just saw a sustainability thread elsewhere where people were discussing that.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1665 on: November 18, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »

Yes, I saw the series many years ago on "regular" TV.  Amazing how much stuff people thought they needed, but soon realized they were happier without.  To the best of my recollection, there are good outcomes for all the families, unlike the people on "Hoarders."

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1666 on: November 18, 2018, 05:43:07 PM »

Yes, I saw the series many years ago on "regular" TV.  Amazing how much stuff people thought they needed, but soon realized they were happier without.  To the best of my recollection, there are good outcomes for all the families, unlike the people on "Hoarders."

I used to watch "Clean Sweep"  They got rid of some furniture I would have kept, but generally speaking they really did a good job of decluttering and got the homeowners on board. Some of the reasons for the clutter were very sad, others were just people who had totally different ideas of what a space should be used for.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1667 on: November 18, 2018, 08:39:46 PM »
Listed nine things on eBay. If everything sells I'll end up with $185 back in my pocket.

One thing sold, $20 for me.

I also:
- put a top and a necklace in the charity bag
- palmed half a dozen things off on @marty998
- surveyed my stock of gifted fancy teabags at home and brought anything nearing its expiry date to work, where it will be used (I don't drink tea, just keep it around for guests)
- found four books I've been given that I would like to read but not own , so as soon as I read them they are out the door
- brought some tiny bottles of hand sanitiser and moisturiser (airline toiletries) to work to keep in my desk

Looking forward to my next trip to visit family so I can deliver Christmas presents for them, Christmas shopping I've done for them, baby clothes I'm passing on from mutual friends. That will get rid of half a dozen bags from my spare room.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1668 on: November 18, 2018, 09:58:18 PM »
@Poundwise when you post your diaper supplies for sale, you can add to the listing that the snaps and cloths can also be used for cloth pads for feminine hygiene. I just saw a sustainability thread elsewhere where people were discussing that.

Ooo, good point!  Thanks!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1669 on: November 18, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
- found four books I've been given that I would like to read but not own , so as soon as I read them they are out the door

A small but vital distinction.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1670 on: November 19, 2018, 05:49:53 AM »
I bought this book after reading a small article about New England stone walls. I live in New England and always wondered about the stone walls. I have only read part of the book and it is pretty interesting. A part of our history. Just can't fathom removing the rocks from thousands and thousands of acres and building stone walls with limited resources. You had women who were probably too busy having and raising babies, old people who couldn't do the work. Children that were not that strong. How on earth did they do all this work? Rock are heavy!

Sermons in Stone

The Stone Walls of New England and New York
by Susan Allport

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1671 on: November 19, 2018, 06:07:50 AM »
I bought this book after reading a small article about New England stone walls. I live in New England and always wondered about the stone walls. I have only read part of the book and it is pretty interesting. A part of our history. Just can't fathom removing the rocks from thousands and thousands of acres and building stone walls with limited resources. You had women who were probably too busy having and raising babies, old people who couldn't do the work. Children that were not that strong. How on earth did they do all this work? Rock are heavy!

Sermons in Stone

by Susan Allport

I always figured it was originally a byproduct of picking rocks out of the field to make it easier to plow and plant. Easiest place to stack them is the edge of the field, and if you're going to be carrying rocks to the edge of your field anyway - may as well make it a wall.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1672 on: November 19, 2018, 06:18:10 AM »

Sermons in Stone

by Susan Allport

I thought they made stone walls mainly because they wanted to empty their piece of land for stones. I have understood that in Britain a professional wall maker can build about 1 meter of wall per day.
Children were in the past seen as a valuable resource for low paid hard work. In the Book "The story about my boyhood and youth" by John Muir it described that he had to crawl down deep in the ground for many hours a day to dig out the well. That is also an interesting book to read.
And about women, I think they also worked very hard, running the (big) household without modern equipment like running water and electrical devices.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1673 on: November 19, 2018, 06:26:34 AM »

Sermons in Stone

by Susan Allport

I always figured it was originally a byproduct of picking rocks out of the field to make it easier to plow and plant. Easiest place to stack them is the edge of the field, and if you're going to be carrying rocks to the edge of your field anyway - may as well make it a wall.

Yep. Even modern day. Childhood Bracken_Joy and siblings and cousins were often employed as stone movers. Not for plowing, but for horses. Hooves can abscess really easily with mud and rocks. We had great fun building plinths and skipping stones with the resulting pile. And Roadrunner, don't underestimate the strength of kids. I was bucking hay in elementary school. I recently bucked a couple bales for my ILs, and was shocked how heavy it felt. (Current life status: noodle arms). I can say with confidence that I had stronger arms at 11 than I do at 29! And I am not a small woman.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1674 on: November 19, 2018, 06:43:05 AM »
Yes, they say there are/were more rocks than soil so they had to move the rocks so they could grow food. Then there was some laws that were passed that required those who had livestock to pen them up/fence them in to keep them from destructive behaviors in neighbors yards.

Some people don't believe early settlers built the stone walls and that they were built thousands of years ago. For some reason there doesn't seem to be much documentation on building the walls.

http://www.field-notebook.com/?p=119

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1675 on: November 19, 2018, 06:54:02 AM »
You guys!!!!

One side of the family has opted out of presents between adults, with a baked goods exchange instead.  Happy thanksgiving!

I gave some candle making supplies and 8lbs of beeswax to a friend. She is short on funds and was really excited - most of it was hand me downs anyway, so no big loss. Plus, that allowed a streamlining of three storage places.

Something I hit on a year or two ago is to do a pre-holiday burst, in anticipation of more stuff coming in.  I usually get stressed about the amount of stuff joining the household, but pre clearing space really helps.

On a bummer note, I'm down to one work appropriate long sleeve shirt, which means a goodwill trip in my future.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1676 on: November 19, 2018, 07:22:57 AM »

On a bummer note, I'm down to one work appropriate long sleeve shirt, which means a goodwill trip in my future.

...A funny coincidence, this is happening to me too, but with pants.  Recently I stitched my work pants for the 2nd time.  They were cheap Costco pants to begin with and I really don't think they're going to withstand another patching.  They're starting to rip again... so instead of buying new work pants I have slooooooooooowly started wearing 'nice jeans' to work (still with a dress-up shirt/blazer) and waiting to see if anyone says anything.  Nothing yet.  I'm not sure what your line of work is, but maybe you could start sliding in more casual dress 1x a week and string out the life of that last long sleeved shirt?
Just an idea! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the stone walls, that stuff is FASCINATING.  There were quite a few of these where I grew up in NE OH and I've always kind of thought that along with referring to my body as 'corn fed' I also certainly look like a person who may be descendent of folks who hauled rocks.  Ha. 
I should really get into strongman or highland games. 
My mom is from Hungary and my dad has no traceable lineage, but grew up as poor as his mom grew up, who was as poor as her mom grew up, who was as poor as her mom grew up... etc. etc. and he has fire red hair...so.... guessing irish. Ha.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1677 on: November 19, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »

...A funny coincidence, this is happening to me too, but with pants.  Recently I stitched my work pants for the 2nd time.  They were cheap Costco pants to begin with and I really don't think they're going to withstand another patching.  They're starting to rip again... so instead of buying new work pants I have slooooooooooowly started wearing 'nice jeans' to work (still with a dress-up shirt/blazer) and waiting to see if anyone says anything.  Nothing yet.  I'm not sure what your line of work is, but maybe you could start sliding in more casual dress 1x a week and string out the life of that last long sleeved shirt?

It's already fairly casual, a blazer would be out of place.  The issue is more that I only have one winter skirt and no dress/non-jeans I can wear with flats, which further limits the upper body options on top of a small wardrobe.  It's been about 3-4 years since I've bought any new clothes, so I'm due for a replacement year (I have a small wardrobe, so items get worn hard).   If I declutter my fabric stash by making a few pieces, that will help - which is why I bought the fabric (already connected with patterns) in the first place.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1678 on: November 19, 2018, 12:14:17 PM »

It's already fairly casual, a blazer would be out of place.  The issue is more that I only have one winter skirt and no dress/non-jeans I can wear with flats, which further limits the upper body options on top of a small wardrobe.  It's been about 3-4 years since I've bought any new clothes, so I'm due for a replacement year (I have a small wardrobe, so items get worn hard).   If I declutter my fabric stash by making a few pieces, that will help - which is why I bought the fabric (already connected with patterns) in the first place.

Oh, people!  I know this is a frugal website, but not a poverty one!  Go shopping!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1679 on: November 19, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »
I hate shopping ... not about the money on this one.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1680 on: November 19, 2018, 01:16:51 PM »
Today I want to start the process of purging my cloth diapering supplies.  This is hard for me because I paid good money for them. But doing so would clear a cubic yard or so, and I have no intention of using them.
- solid metal snap setter and dies, think they cost me $150 or so
- several thousand new plastic snaps, many colors
- a few yards of hemp sherpa, PUL, foldover elastic, and performance wicking fabric for liners

Will take photos, then post on Craigslist to see if I can make a local sale. If they don't move, need to consider my options. The cost of shipping these materials, especially the heavy snap setter, would easily double their price.

How about Etsy?  Or does Hyenacart have a "supplies" section?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1681 on: November 19, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »
Two soothing nature DVDs put in the free library by the kindergarten. Ofpym used them to get the boys to sleep when they were wee tinys.

We watched the first ep of Consumed last night and couldn't watch another. We kept shouting STOP HOMESCHOOLING! Send your kids to regular school also the husband was Checked Out in a way that felt really shitty. HIVES at the amount of stuff everywhere.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1682 on: November 20, 2018, 12:07:47 AM »
- found four books I've been given that I would like to read but not own, so as soon as I read them they are out the door

A small but vital distinction.

I think so.

Unlike my law and politics textbooks from uni, which for some reason I feel the need to hang onto despite not opening in a decade.

I've culled it down to three, but it's still a wanker move, hanging onto them.

annapana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1683 on: November 20, 2018, 02:32:19 AM »
I sold an item on eBay today.  And on the weekend I allocated a box to charity, anything that goes in it goes to charity, and it’s full with unused suncreen (skin reacts to it) and lots of new baby stuff that never got used.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1684 on: November 20, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »
Consumed doesn't seem to be available on Canada's Netflix, darn.

I lost a Thing necessary for my kid's next therapy step. Before our recent trip, I removed it from his daybag as it wouldn't be needed... And now I can't find it! I've touched ~3/4 of everything we own, including checking each file. I've found cash, other items set aside for trip time, but not the Critical Item. Sigh.

Luckily, we don't own much so going through everything doesn't take much time, but I will have to explore the other 1/4.

In the process, am rearranging each area, which feels wonderful. I have all day minus 90 minutes to tackle the home, so whew.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1685 on: November 20, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
Found it!!

Now my place looks like it's been burglarized, lol. But we have the critical items and can resume playing out in the world. I might drop kid off, drive back and continue at it during his long therapy... Because I accidentally invited someone for dinner, lol.

Pretty excited, though, about going through everything, finding a few things to release, washing an exposed shelf right down. Some areas have ended up looking too bare, though, so I'll rearrange those back.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1686 on: November 20, 2018, 01:17:07 PM »

Just Google "Consumed TV show"  You can watch it online.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1687 on: November 20, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »

Just Google "Consumed TV show"  You can watch it online.

Unless at CBC (which is a very irritating in format and ads), I've never managed to watch a show online. I know many people manage to, but it's been beyond me so far :(

No matter: I'll just watch my own transformation!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1688 on: November 20, 2018, 01:57:44 PM »
4. Delete stuff from the storage room. We've never had one of those before, and mostly keep the landlord's excess in it. But things like my boxes can go now.

Lots of progress:

1. When I got home today, I didn't go inside -just went straight to the storage room door, unlocked it, and pulled out empty boxes. Done.

2. Reorganized things in there: anything belonging to the house (management), I tucked more tidily and deeply away -hoping I won't be required to reinstall those excesses while I live here, and hoping to live here a good 10 years, so they can be three feet deeper into the storage than they were.

3. Transferred winter items (car scraper, etc) into car.

4. Reorganized our few remaining items (ice skates and helmet each; two small pouches of garden amendments; kid's bike).

5. Went inside, grabbed spinner can and placed that in the copious, easily accessible room front and centre.

It's a MASSIVE storage area. Every neighbour I know has theirs crammed full, like the mystery closet on Friends. It's lovely to know I only need a fraction of it, yet also to have that bonus spot at all.

Letting go of boxes is my weird thing. It's skeeeeery. I have to trust that we won't need to move any time soon, that the rare item I bought brand new will continue to work and also be something we love, or that if not, we can find supplies to transport an item in. Only once have I had to spend about $10 on packaging for such a matter, and that was to get a $500 refund, so I think I'll be okay!

Now I get to eat a grilled cheese sandwich or baked potato +.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1689 on: November 20, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »
Broke down all the packaging, Kid and I walked a giant pile each a few blocks to recycling and garbage :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1690 on: November 20, 2018, 10:05:39 PM »
And on the weekend I allocated a box to charity, anything that goes in it goes to charity

I do this too.  I ALWAYS have a charity box, and it goes when full and is immediately replaced.

Have been picking at the paper pile, got a few more things out of it to deal with this week/weekend hopefully.

The BIG WIN is that all CDs are ripped & returned to Mr X!  Yay!  There were originally NINE boxes, and it sure makes a difference to have them all gone.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:13:17 PM by oneday »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1691 on: November 20, 2018, 10:57:01 PM »
The BIG WIN is that all CDs are ripped & returned to Mr X!  Yay!  There were originally NINE boxes...

Oooooooooooooooooh!!!!! YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1692 on: November 21, 2018, 06:22:46 AM »
Everyone is doing so well!  I need to get back to work on decluttering, I've stalled out a bit as I finished the low-hanging fruit.  However, the big win for this week was delivering my pile of 'donate' boxes to the local thrift store!  Finally have a clear back seat in the car and a mostly-clear entry way at the apartment.  I do still need to find a place that does electronics recycling in my area, to get the last box out of the way.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1693 on: November 21, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »
Today's Goals:
Fold all cloth items, put on top shelf of closet [Done]
Move winter jacket reflectors to front hall closet shelf [Done]
Throw "present" from neighbour into garbage can [Done]
Remove wrap from paper ream, move into recycling [Done]
Enter charcoal dates (renewal, replacement) into Google calendar; delete bag [Done]

+ bought the rest of my kid's halloween stash from him, ate the good chocolates, put certain ones aside for his therapies, garbaged the vast majority :)    Healthier kid, plus no more wrappers, and no more giant bag sitting around.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:00:57 PM by joonifloofeefloo »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1694 on: November 21, 2018, 10:49:33 AM »
It's a rainy day and I have no plans except cozying up the house and unearthing my skis from the basement.

Just washed a load of linens that have been sitting in storage for a while and found 2 new pillowcases with decorative touches on them..not our style so into the donation box they go!
-added a coin purse that I've never used
-and another 2 sheets & another pillowcase, plus ripped some sheets into rags
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:22:00 PM by Serendip »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1695 on: November 21, 2018, 05:36:38 PM »
Everyone is doing so well!  I need to get back to work on decluttering, I've stalled out a bit as I finished the low-hanging fruit.  However, the big win for this week was delivering my pile of 'donate' boxes to the local thrift store!  Finally have a clear back seat in the car and a mostly-clear entry way at the apartment.  I do still need to find a place that does electronics recycling in my area, to get the last box out of the way.

Yay Big Win!

Today's Goals:
Fold all cloth items, put on top shelf of closet [Done]
Move winter jacket reflectors to front hall closet shelf [Done]
Throw "present" from neighbour into garbage can [Done]
Remove wrap from paper ream, move into recycling [Done]
Enter charcoal dates (renewal, replacement) into Google calendar; delete bag [Done]

+ bought the rest of my kid's halloween stash from him, ate the good chocolates, put certain ones aside for his therapies, garbaged the vast majority :)    Healthier kid, plus no more wrappers, and no more giant bag sitting around.

You're on a tear!

It's a rainy day and I have no plans except cozying up the house and unearthing my skis from the basement.

Just washed a load of linens that have been sitting in storage for a while and found 2 new pillowcases with decorative touches on them..not our style so into the donation box they go!
-added a coin purse that I've never used
-and another 2 sheets & another pillowcase, plus ripped some sheets into rags

Have you found the skis yet?

Getting those CDs out of the way, and ignoring the paper for a while, has refreshed me so I'm ready to tackle the papers again.  Let's see what I can get done on a relaxing 4-day (US Thanksgiving) weekend!

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1696 on: November 21, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »
From childhood, if I knew someone was going somewhere interesting, I’d ask if I could have them bring me pocket change back. Or if I was going somewhere, I’d keep the change. I also once bought a  bag of old British coins just because they were pretty. I kept it all in this decorative tin. Today, I sorted through this and grabbed any stray US coins for my wallet ($3 or so).. Almost all of the other coins are valueless now (European coins superseded by the euro or just plain pennies or the equivalent. I thought maybe some kid might get a kick out of them, so into the donation bin they went today.

It does leave me with an interesting problem. In addition to the useless coins, I found we had a lot more euros in cash than I thought from a previous trip. We aren’t planning to go back for years, if ever. I don’t know anyone else planning to go either. But i’ve got about 100€, including about 25€ in 1 or 2 € coins. I think there’s a couple of places I might be able to sell the paper money for dollars (minus a fee, of course) but none of them take coins. It’s real, spendable money. Just not here. It’s more money than I’d like to waste but I can’t figure out what to do with it. Any ideas for decluttering money?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1697 on: November 21, 2018, 06:39:14 PM »
It does leave me with an interesting problem. In addition to the useless coins, I found we had a lot more euros in cash than I thought from a previous trip. We aren’t planning to go back for years, if ever. I don’t know anyone else planning to go either. But i’ve got about 100€, including about 25€ in 1 or 2 € coins. I think there’s a couple of places I might be able to sell the paper money for dollars (minus a fee, of course) but none of them take coins. It’s real, spendable money. Just not here. It’s more money than I’d like to waste but I can’t figure out what to do with it. Any ideas for decluttering money?

They are taken for charity here in the UK, maybe there's something similar where you are?  These people do apparently take coins by international post -
https://www.leftovercurrency.com/charity/

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1698 on: November 21, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »
I've put pesos and CAD on our Facebook neighborhood group and had someone take it for a good rate.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1699 on: November 21, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »
Any ideas for decluttering money?

Any way to incorporate it as part of your charitable givings for the year? Mailing them off to a charity where they can be used, perhaps?

The useless coins to the thrift was a great idea. I like you thinking of that kid (tiny or big) who's going to be thrilled to find them.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!