Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1254255 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #1150 on: August 22, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »
Threw out 5 tiny shiny glass things sitting in a bowl. Discussed the guitar picks no one has used in 7 years but decided they could stay for now.

Right now our big thing is - we can't hang pictures in our rental house because 1- it's a rental, 2- the walls are made on concrete block and 3- the dark greige paint actively repels 3M hooks making pictures fall off the wall. If we could hang the art, so many more surfaces would be clear. Meanwhile, we prop up pictures to combat the gloom of the dark greige paint.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1151 on: August 22, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
Threw out 5 tiny shiny glass things sitting in a bowl. Discussed the guitar picks no one has used in 7 years but decided they could stay for now.

Right now our big thing is - we can't hang pictures in our rental house because 1- it's a rental, 2- the walls are made on concrete block and 3- the dark greige paint actively repels 3M hooks making pictures fall off the wall. If we could hang the art, so many more surfaces would be clear. Meanwhile, we prop up pictures to combat the gloom of the dark greige paint.

Can you just agree with the landlord to make good and repaint the walls in one room or one wall? That's what we did with our tenant - they hung their tv on the wall because they had little kids.

My job for today - donate eight wardrobe items to make room for eight (EIGHT!) new items I bought. I realised my wardrobe was in a bad way but thanks to the buy zero clothing challenge I was able to make a list of what was necessary.  I may have bought too much and still new a few things but I'm feeling much better about having clothes for actual situations I find myself in. Eg smart-casual weekend lunch for someone's birthday. I can think of 4 things already that will go.

ETA: Done! I've got 9 to take to the clothing bin, although cheating a bit with 4 scarves. I've got five misshapen tops & jumpers to try on (I think they are for the bin but haven't been able to do it) and two white things with mildew spots gone in the laundry basket, so possibly even more to get out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:01:38 PM by Fresh Bread »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1152 on: August 22, 2018, 10:48:20 PM »
I haven't posted here in ages because we've just been busy with life, but we have gotten rid of TONS of stuff in the last year and no longer have a room dedicated to storage (I know, shame on me that there ever was). We're in the middle of having kids, so there is a ton of baby stuff in closets and the garage that I just can't wait to get rid of as soon as we're done. I know many advocate for not saving things between kids, but I don't want to deal with selling and then re-buying it all so it stays.

One thing that helped lots was getting family on board with not giving us random things all the time (hand me downs, too many toys, random stuff they picked off buy nothing and thought we would want).

Release the shame like you released all those items.  Time to celebrate reclaiming that room!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1153 on: August 22, 2018, 10:51:34 PM »
I made it to the food pantry last weekend, but not the charity shop, so that is rescheduled for this coming weekend.

Today I took an old cell phone to Best Buy to recycle.  It was easy!  But had to wait a bit in line for customer service.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1154 on: August 26, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »
It helps to remember when my mother and MIL tried to give me things they had saved from when we were babies.  I did not want any of it and was frankly horrified at the idea of my kid having to wear some of those outfits.

Haha.  So true.  I tried to say no to some really terrible things and eventually to keep the peace just agreed to take stuff and never used it.  We had baby clothes coming out of our ears anyways, because we were given so much (recent) used stuff from friends, gifts from family, and had favorites we reused a lot, so there already were some things he never wore.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1155 on: August 26, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »
Not only did I get those things to the charity shop, I realized I had two light fixtures that could also go.  On top of that, I got Mr. X's things out of my space and into his storage area.  The living room feels more open, hooray!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #1156 on: August 26, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »
Nice going/results, oneday!! :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1157 on: August 26, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
Thank you, jooni.  You are always so supportive of me!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1158 on: August 27, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »
Temporary clutter is awful, but it does make me VERY glad we had open space in the house. Our puppy started trying to grab/drag/chew rugs, so for the time being ALL the rugs in our house are up. That means the top of our master closet has a stack of 2 area rugs, 2 hall runners, 4 smaller rugs, and a kitchen mat. Hopefully it'll just take a couple months for her to get past her teething maniac stage, and we can put them back down. In the meantime it stinks though, because the wall to wall carpeting in our house is massively stained in places- part of the purpose of those rugs. I steam cleaned it multiple times when we moved it, and it helped, but didn't get it all =(

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1159 on: August 28, 2018, 07:15:12 AM »
I got some of the donation stuff to the car. Really need to drop it off, maybe today.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1160 on: August 28, 2018, 08:52:29 AM »
Got rid of a giant box of baby bottles. (Also kept a giant box, but pared down for hypothetical baby)

Took back years of narcotics to the pharmacy. Like 18 prescription bottles that were all nearly full.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1161 on: August 28, 2018, 09:14:19 AM »
My DD found a large laundry basket of stuff in her room so it left.  Son has been pulling too small clothes out of his dresser at an alarming rate.  They both cleared up their desks and pronounced that they didn't need to go back to school shopping for school supplies - save for a new lock for a locker.  Both of theirs won't stay locked any longer.  They don't make them like they used to.  We all put some books and magazines in the Free Little Library my daughter maintains.  It has been great.

How does one throw out paintings?  I have been learning to paint for five years now and have a lot of really bad paintings.  Most are double sided bad paintings.  I actually find it hard to even look at them so they are stuffed in a closet.  I really should look at each one, note something I learned doing it and then toss it.  But that just seems overwhelming at the moment.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1162 on: August 28, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »

How does one throw out paintings?  I have been learning to paint for five years now and have a lot of really bad paintings.  Most are double sided bad paintings.  I actually find it hard to even look at them so they are stuffed in a closet.  I really should look at each one, note something I learned doing it and then toss it.  But that just seems overwhelming at the moment.

Are they on paper or canvas? I have repainted canvas to use again  and with old paper paintings --I've used them as wrapping paper or cut them up and made collaged cards with them, abstracting them by having different layers of different paintings.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1163 on: August 28, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »

Are they on paper or canvas? I have repainted canvas to use again  and with old paper paintings --I've used them as wrapping paper or cut them up and made collaged cards with them, abstracting them by having different layers of different paintings.
Watercolour paint on cotton paper

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1164 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:15 PM »
Gave away 8 binders on BNP.
Dropped off a giant bin at the consignment thrift.
Have another 2 bins ready to go (they only take 1 a day)
Plus a big bag of junk in the trash

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1165 on: August 29, 2018, 08:24:10 PM »
The ASL books are in the pile to go to the boys' other house. It's their maternal grandmother who is deaf (and speaks ASL) and it's not used in A/NZ so not something we will use.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #1166 on: August 30, 2018, 12:20:12 AM »
I have been wanting to sort through our reusable shopping bags and have tossed four bags. They all had holes and rips. It felt so good.

Nancy

« Reply #1167 on: August 30, 2018, 05:02:05 AM »
I pulled out a pile of paper/pictures/booklets from the bottom of the bookshelf and went through them. I found an envelope with about $100 worth of gift cards in there. I had forgotten about it after we moved. Oops! But also, score!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1168 on: August 30, 2018, 07:00:30 AM »
Nancy, what a nice reward for decluttering :)

Yesterday I moved the loveseat along to it's new home.  Living room is so open & airly now!  Bonus: "weight lifting" helping to move it out.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1169 on: August 30, 2018, 09:07:18 AM »
I went through some files and have pile of paper 8 inches high for recycling.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1170 on: August 30, 2018, 11:21:42 AM »
A box is being filled with odds & ends for the thrift store.
So far, meditation cd's that I don't use, candle holders, bookmarks..
*added some jewellery
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:45:03 PM by Serendip »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1171 on: August 30, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »
I went through some files and have pile of paper 8 inches high for recycling.

Way to go! I an enjoying the paper disposal vicariously, sine it is my bugaboo.

A box is being filled with odds & ends for the thrift store.
So far, meditation cd's that I don't use, candle holders, bookmarks..
*added some jewellery

Nice last minute addition! Keep it up!

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #1172 on: August 30, 2018, 10:52:25 PM »
While growing up, we always had "goodwill bags" going, so the idea of gleaning has been embedded in me. But my mom still wins the minimalist award.

But, I've been inspired by my newfound exposure to Mustachianism, and have gone on a purging spree. So far I've sold almost $80 of used books, and donated a bag of others. I just sold a "pocket shower" for $15 that I never used. And for another $15, a bag for a backpack that was last used over 10 years ago.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #1173 on: August 31, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »
Back at my parents’ house for a visit, continuing to declutter my old room in anticipation of their move next year.

It’s a combination of harder and easier than decluttering my current home. Some of the stuff is so old and I haven’t used or seen it in so long, it’s easy not to care anymore. But other highly sentimental childhood items are tough. I’m a sucker for stuffed animals. I’d say I’ve gotten rid of a good 75% of the stuff, but the last 25% is a killer. I don’t really have room to bring it all back with me, but I don’t want to burden my parents with storage in their future home  either. Luckily I have some time for this to marinate and will be home a few more times before the house goes on the market.

I did find $52 in an old laptop case, though. That was a win.

snoot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1174 on: August 31, 2018, 01:10:02 PM »
Hi everyone! I'd love to join this thread if it's okay. I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff and clutter in my life and need something to keep me motivated and accountable in clearing it out. My partner is great at getting rid of stuff, but he's even better at bringing stuff into the house. Garage sales, yard sales, hand me downs from family, freebies, etc., he just can't say no!

Anyways, we started out by running a bunch of old plates, bowls, mugs, silverware, etc through the dishwasher and then donating it to a local college. They have a program where students who need kitchen gear can come and choose from the donations. It was nice to get it all out of the garage and know that it was going to young people who need it.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1175 on: August 31, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »
@snoot welcome! You are off to a good start!

snoot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1176 on: August 31, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »
@snoot welcome! You are off to a good start!
Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1177 on: August 31, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »
@snoot there is always room on the decluttering thread
:)

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1178 on: August 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PM »
@snoot there is always room on the decluttering thread
:)

Until the thread gets too cluttered, then we'll start a part 3

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1179 on: August 31, 2018, 11:38:29 PM »
Donated a folding bike to an amazing charity that helps homeless in my neighborhood. Had bought it for a month-long trip to San Francisco over the summer and planned to sell it at the end, but it ended up being just a bit too big for checked baggage. The bike and the box it's in have taken up space in my micro-flat for months. Looking forward to reclaiming my living room floor again!

I could've sold it here for ~$150 but this org can use it when they deliver food and water to the homeless and do outreach. It's a flexible mode of transport (if quasi-legal).

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1180 on: September 01, 2018, 07:33:56 PM »
Friend is taking a sweater I've had for a while but just no longer feel comfortable in.

Getting rid of stash yarn by making baby hats for my local NICU.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1181 on: September 02, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »
I have a bedroom closet that is so stuffed with junk that I never even use it.  My goal this morning (or what's left of it) is to massively declutter it and haul everything immediately to a thrift store. 

Then I can give the closet to my (disabled) husband, so all that side of our bedroom is "his" storage.  It will make for easier access, especially if I can add some shelving to the closet (hanging things on hangars is now hard for him but he can handle shelves or hooks.)

There's my motivation ... now... go do it!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1182 on: September 02, 2018, 04:47:00 PM »
Gave about two boxes worth of school supplies to my new students.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1183 on: September 03, 2018, 12:53:15 AM »
I found 2 old metal saucers in a drawer at our cabin. They haven't been used for many years. So I threw them away.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1184 on: September 03, 2018, 06:32:20 AM »
Friends kids are starting a "spa". I donated a quart size bag stuffed with nail polish to them.

Got rid of 3 giant bins of baby clothes.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1185 on: September 03, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
We finally sold our train table, so that's gone now. Made $40, and it's out of our house!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1186 on: September 03, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
Because it's a long weekend, I convinced myself to keep going. Here's what else we did:
-I finally put all of the ski clothes back. (In July, the kids went to a summer camp & needed to use our giant ski duffels. When they came back. . . well, things didn't get done.)
-We cleaned our garage. This was a biggie. We had a/c put in, and much of the work occurred in the garage. We removed EVERYTHING, vacuumed, pressure washed, & then put everything back. It's done now, but . . . I've had more fun. ;-)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1187 on: September 03, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »
I am for possibly the first time in my life, living in a house that has enough bookshelves for the books in it.  No odd piles of books stacked up anywhere.

(I'm not counting the culls which are waiting to go the charity shop.  In my head they are gone already.)

I may have achieved this feat by having new bookshelves made rather than getting rid of a lot of books.  Books on bookshelves are not clutter, though.  Are they?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1188 on: September 03, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »
Got rid of 2 office mailboxes I had intentions of upcycling but hadn't over a year.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1189 on: September 03, 2018, 02:39:53 PM »
Yesterday I cleared out that bedroom closet and made space for my husband's things.   But only about 2 bags worth made it to the thrift store.  The rest basically got moved around into different boxes.

I reckon I have about 12 boxes of items yet to declutter in that upstairs area.  Kid mementos, husband mementos, my mementoes, random tutoring supplies; random craft supplies; random photos. 

I have a tough time (obviously) parting with mementos, even if they don't bring a lot of joy.  My husband and I both have saved our day planners for YEARS.  I hate to throw them out. I keep thinking, maybe 40 years from now, I'll have a reason to need to remember the name of the doctor I had an appointment with in 1998....?  I mean, it is ridiculous.  Why do I feel the need to save these things?  Is there a reason?   Maybe my amanuensis will need to refer to them while helping me write my memoirs (LOL).

So, I do best with a goal.  I am starting with 12 boxes.  I need to cut that down by one box each week.  In three months, these 12 boxes need to be gone.  They can be:

- Sold
- Donated
- PROPERLY stored (meaning archived correctly in a photo album, framed and hung on the wall, turned into a quilt, etc.)
- Sent to other family members, or
- Thrown out in the garbage/recycled.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1190 on: September 03, 2018, 08:30:59 PM »
@CrustyBadger that is a pretty big goal.  I don't think I could do a box a week.   Best of luck.
My Hubs worked on the junk pile at the side of the house this weekend.  One item went out on the street and disappeared in 20 minutes.   

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1191 on: September 03, 2018, 09:05:57 PM »
@CrustyBadger that is a pretty big goal.  I don't think I could do a box a week.   Best of luck. 

So much of it is junk.  I'll probably dejunk half of two boxes and consolidate.  That'll get me through the first 6 boxes... then it will start to get really hard.

Nancy

« Reply #1192 on: September 04, 2018, 07:57:49 AM »
Dropped a bag off at Goodwill that had been sitting around since the winter. I also donated two books to the Little Free Library and gave away two out-of-state gift cards.

Today my goal is to declutter the garden by pulling some old plants and get rid of the contents of one of my gardening bags.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1193 on: September 04, 2018, 11:18:49 PM »
So much good decluttering going on! @CrustyBadger and @Mezzie what nice things you are doing for others (husband, students)!

@MaybeBabyMustache I struggle with unpacking after a trip, too.

I had a small CD shelf, holds 60 or so CD's, but it's no longer needed.  So that was going to the thrift store this weekend even though it's only one thing.  Found out a family member had 2 bags of stuff to go that had been sitting in her car for a while.  I felt silly taking only one thing, so I picked her & her bags up and we went together!

When I got home, I found another thing to go, but I may end up taking it to Mom's house instead (hair catcher for shower drain).  She could use one in her guest bath when I visit.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1194 on: September 05, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »
Hi everyone!  I've been meaning to join this challenge for a while.  As I posted here (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/to-house-or-not-to-house-that-is-the-question/) my home is in need of a concerted decluttering while we decide if they space works for us or if we need more space.

One of my major hurdles to decluttering is feeling like I need to find a "good home" for unwanted items, so I freecycle a lot of things that might not be accepted by a thrift store.  This takes time but I've decided it's worth it if it helps me let go of items I no longer need.

So here's my latest round of freecycling:
-stickers you put on your baby's belly that says "my first <insert holiday>"
-a yoga ball pump
-a virtual reality viewfinder
-a kindle keyboard leather case
-a metal planter
-a robotic vacuum that didn't work in our space

Those have all been posted and the baby belly stickers and vacuum have been picked up.

To post next:
-a box of formula samples
-two thermometers
-some unopened makeup
-an ipad case with bluetooth keyboard

I also have the following waiting for goodwill:
-a trash bag full of clothes
-a few random dishes

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1195 on: September 05, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »
Congrats, SimpleCycle, on getting things out your door, and on making progress on bigger goals by doing this decluttering!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #1196 on: September 06, 2018, 08:35:37 PM »
Gave away a bunch of bedding and furniture to family.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1197 on: September 07, 2018, 05:36:32 AM »
We've had a few piles of books in our back room for over a year now, because the 2nd hand stores are very picky about what they take, and we don't want to throw them away. Because of the pickiness, we really didn't want to put them all in a big backpack and go to the store just to find out they'd take a third and give us $5.

I found a tiny library near my work that is always empty. So I brought 4 books there yesterday, and I'm going to drop off another 5 today.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1198 on: September 07, 2018, 12:05:59 PM »
Listed a pair of hand weights on Freecycle, they should be picked up on Sunday.

While decluttering, I found the remote to the robotic vacuum I gave away, so the new owner is coming to pick that up on Sunday as well.

I'm taking a trash bag of clothes and a box of household goods to the thrift store today.

This evening I'm going to sort and destash craft supplies.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #1199 on: September 08, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »
I've had several expensive posters laying in an art portfolio for a few years now.  I bought them during their initial run with the full intention of getting them on the wall, but it's been 3 and a half years and that hasn't happened so I decided it was time to sell them.  They've appreciated several hundred percent since they sold out back in 2015.  I didn't buy them to flip, but was able to make my money back easily since I listed them slightly below their current value.  Getting them out to take pictures and post for sale online was kind of hard despite the fact they've been hidden in my closet this entire time, but I powered through. 

I'm heading to the post office to ship them this afternoon and it feels good to get rid of something just taking up space.  Plus I'm going to put all that money straight into VTSAX.  That's something I wouldn't have done if I hadn't found this place a year or so ago.