Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249210 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2018, 07:44:38 AM »
I gave away a puzzle that was way too hard for me to finish.  2000 pieces and once I got to the parts that were more similar in color it stopped being fun. 

I wish I could convince my husband to do this!  We've had a few puzzles that took months to finish, and it wasn't fun for anyone by the end.

This thing had been on a table in the basement for well over a year - it was time for it to go!

The worst one for me was a 500ish piece puzzle of a dragon, but it was actually shaped like the dragon. No background. The pieces were poorly cut so didn't fit well, thus I repeatedly had to undo sections because I realized later that it wasn't right. It took forever, but I was almost done. I came home from work one day and my cats had accidentally flipped it off the table. Pieces everywhere, they all came apart. I put it back in the box and donated it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2018, 07:46:52 AM »
Hooray! Great thread and timely for me.

The sad part: I am allergic to the cats and we had to 're-home' them. The hopeful part: I might get a grip on my eczema and improve my physical and mental health.

And the work part: washing walls, dejunking drawers, cleaning out corners. It's a big task to rid my house of 6 years of cat dander...especially since I tend to hang on to things. It's time to purge.

Over the weekend I cleaned out the art supplies in the kitchen and organized the kitchen cabinets. Today I sold cookbooks & computer books and donated the ones that didn't sell (two banker's boxes!) Also donated some misc clothing.

Oh no :( You know it's pretty bad when the allergy meds aren't enough. I'm allergic to one of mine, but the meds keep it in check enough.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2018, 07:47:09 AM »
I gave away a puzzle that was way too hard for me to finish.  2000 pieces and once I got to the parts that were more similar in color it stopped being fun. 

I wish I could convince my husband to do this!  We've had a few puzzles that took months to finish, and it wasn't fun for anyone by the end.

This thing had been on a table in the basement for well over a year - it was time for it to go!

The worst one for me was a 500ish piece puzzle of a dragon, but it was actually shaped like the dragon. No background. The pieces were poorly cut so didn't fit well, thus I repeatedly had to undo sections because I realized later that it wasn't right. It took forever, but I was almost done. I came home from work one day and my cats had accidentally flipped it off the table. Pieces everywhere, they all came apart. I put it back in the box and donated it.

You gave me a great idea.  Next time I'm putting dog treats on top of the puzzle before I go to work.  If the dog destroys the work we've done, my husband will probably let go of the puzzle.

Nancy

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
Got rid of two pairs of pants that no longer fit me comfortably. Huzzah!

Anyone heard of/read The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning? I have it in my queue at the library. I'm not quite sure why I'm fascinated by these decluttering books.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »
The furniture I set out with a free sign was gone within a few hours. :)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2018, 07:49:13 PM »
My children's clothes, over 5 tall bags, were picked up today,  but oddly the closets are still full.

I've earmarked the next thing to go: a tub of cloth diaper sewing supplies, including a metal snap setter, a big box of snaps, organic hemp fabric,  PUL. Will try to sell them on a mom's list. 

I think it's going to be easier to get rid of things that just remind me of unfinished projects and needless expense, now that I took the step of giving away items that I had an actual sentimental attachment to (the children's clothes).  I was looking at the sewing supplies and thinking, "Why should I save these when they have no meaning to me? I may as well have saved the baby clothes instead!"

Anyway, those cute little clothes will be easing the life of orphans and sad homeless babies elsewhere. I'm thankful to the people who are collecting them, making it possible for me to find a meaningful use for these things.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2018, 07:58:39 PM »

I also threw away the stupid stinky soap.  Maybe someone could have used it, and I feel kind of bad for just pitching it, but I couldn't think of a good way to donate an open soap pump container.

@RamonaQ  - totally okay to throw it out, but if it ever happens again you could put it in the bathroom at work or church. At my work, lots of people bring in what were obviously gift soaps and lotions that they didn't like. (Liquid soap in pump containers, not bar soap.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2018, 08:31:23 PM »
Got rid of two more kids items today, & made $10. Slow but steady progress!

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:59 PM »
Thanks Sibley. Yep, it was hard to make the decision to say goodby to our cats, but the older I get the louder my skin talks to me. I'm thankful the family is so understanding.

Today: Cleaned out the entry coat rack & got rid of hats, gloves and umbrellas. Also sorted through old phones, wall warts & related junk. The whole mess is going to the recycler tomorrow!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2018, 05:03:20 AM »

Friends of mine once found a free chair that was set outside to be pickup by a stranger. It turned out to be a classic designer chair that is actually worth some money.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
A neighbor actually wants 3 gallons of paint the builders had left in our house 5 years ago!  That will save me having to buy tons of cat litter to absorb enough of it to throw it away.

I parted with a blazer today that I've only worn once.  It's cute, but it doesn't fit me well enough and it doesn't fit my style at all.

Youngest kid outgrew his booster seat!  If no one in the neighborhood wants it this week I'll throw it away (can't donate them).

FI Curious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2018, 08:03:14 AM »
I've decided that no more crap is coming in until we get the crap we have under control.  We have enacted a purchasing freeze (except on food).  We'll see how this goes. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
I realized I have a major wall with getting rid of clothes: I don't actually have enough! I keep resisting getting rid of things that don't fit well and I don't like, and I couldn't figure out *why*. Well, duh, I keep wearing them because I don't have enough clothing overall. So now I'm at an impasse, because I really don't want to spend money on clothing. Hand-me-downs that fit my proportions are few and far between, and I can't abide the smell of goodwill cleaner (although I do buy their industrial salvage, but it's not that cheap TBH). Anyway, I haven't done anything about this yet, but identifying my resistance to dealing with this category is a good first step!

If anyone needs some decluttering inspiration, I've been enjoying watching KonMari videos on Youtube. I've watched all of this girl's videos in the last few days: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8yT7-O7D19GkqQKJ6uawlA I don't know why watching other people speed declutter inspires me so much, but I thought I'd share in case it does for anyone else as well.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »
I realized I have a major wall with getting rid of clothes: I don't actually have enough! I keep resisting getting rid of things that don't fit well and I don't like, and I couldn't figure out *why*. Well, duh, I keep wearing them because I don't have enough clothing overall. So now I'm at an impasse, because I really don't want to spend money on clothing. Hand-me-downs that fit my proportions are few and far between, and I can't abide the smell of goodwill cleaner (although I do buy their industrial salvage, but it's not that cheap TBH). Anyway, I haven't done anything about this yet, but identifying my resistance to dealing with this category is a good first step!

How much clothing do you have that you like that fits you?  How many pieces would you need to buy to have a wardrobe that works for your lifestyle?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »

How much clothing do you have that you like that fits you?  How many pieces would you need to buy to have a wardrobe that works for your lifestyle?

Depends which subset of clothes you're talking I guess, but for every day wear stuff? The big challenges are I only really have 2 bottoms I wear for day to day. I bought one to replace the other, but then kept both, because I kept fishing the old one out of the goodwill box to have something to wear. T shirts are decent, I have just enough to make it from one laundry day to the next, but 2 of them fit a bit oddly, so in an ideal world I'd replace them. I have 2 light jackets I wear nearly every day, but the zipper on one just broke. I could use a couple more of them, since they get dirty and washed at least once a week.

So my ideal? I guess I'd get like 3 more bottoms, 2-3 more shirts, and 2 new zip ups. Oh, and replace all 4 of my very stretched out bras. That's $$$ right there. =(

Nancy

« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »
Bracken_Joy, I completely understand your situation since I was in the same one up until a few months ago. I don't have a lot of clothes, and I continue to wear items that are broken down because I hate to be wasteful and I really hate to shop for clothes. I realized a few months ago that I was constantly uncomfortable in my work clothes, which was causing tension and low-level stress in my body. It's not fun to be tugging at too tight pant legs or overstretched bra bands. So I bought three bras and two pairs of pants on sale and got rid of the items that no longer fit me. Once I started wearing clothes that fit and therefore could be forgotten about (I don't care about clothes outside of their functionality), I felt much more at ease.

I was surprised that I hadn't placed more value on my comfort initially. I think I sometimes forget that it's worth the money to take care of myself. I think I hadn't realized that properly fitting clothes are as important as properly fitting shoes. Anyway, I'm still working on it since I definitely have/wear things that I should replace.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2018, 09:14:34 AM »
I have a bunch of baby clothes listed on facebook marketplace. Includes a note that says "Must pick up (my location)"

A woman got SUPER angry at me for not being willing to meet her at a totally different location, in the middle of the workday.  Completely cussed me out with "you must not want to sell."
Um, it's $20 worth of clothes. I'm really not going out of my way for this.  I'll just dump it at goodwill on my next trip if it isn't sold by then.

Usually when people can only pick up during the day and not the evening or weekend, I just leave it on the porch and tell them to leave the money. So far it's worked. But that woman was crazy.

@Bracken_Joy - I have on pair of pants I wear day to day.  I am lucky enough to wear jeans at work, and I wash them on Saturdays, they have giant patches on the inner thighs as they are falling apart. At home I change into a pair of leggings or fleece pants.  I have a skirt I wear to business meetings.  I hate clothes shopping.  (I have a million shirts though)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:16:27 AM by iowajes »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2018, 09:19:55 AM »
Bracken_Joy, I completely understand your situation since I was in the same one up until a few months ago. I don't have a lot of clothes, and I continue to wear items that are broken down because I hate to be wasteful and I really hate to shop for clothes. I realized a few months ago that I was constantly uncomfortable in my work clothes, which was causing tension and low-level stress in my body. It's not fun to be tugging at too tight pant legs or overstretched bra bands. So I bought three bras and two pairs of pants on sale and got rid of the items that no longer fit me. Once I started wearing clothes that fit and therefore could be forgotten about (I don't care about clothes outside of their functionality), I felt much more at ease.

I was surprised that I hadn't placed more value on my comfort initially. I think I sometimes forget that it's worth the money to take care of myself. I think I hadn't realized that properly fitting clothes are as important as properly fitting shoes. Anyway, I'm still working on it since I definitely have/wear things that I should replace.

I think that's part of my hesitation. My work clothes are fine- I wear scrubs, I have 5 tops and 3 bottoms and work 2 days per week right now, so that's more than enough, and they're still in fine shape. But it's my home/errand/exercise/life clothes. I never know where to draw the line at "too worn to wear out of the house" though. I'm bad about that =\ I usually wait until my husband gently requests I not wear things anymore, haha. Well, and especially because like- my yoga capris, which are what I have 2 pairs of? I always think I *won't* wear them out and just change into a pair of jeans, but then I forget, or the jeans are dirty, and I wear them out anyway.

I know I need to replace stuff at some point, but it gets back to a lot of stuff in my life (infertility, needing money for IVF soon, that sort of thing), so I keep putting it off. I've been putting it off for years, thinking I would be pregnant soon. And uh... obviously that hasn't happened, haha. I guess my "optimism" about the process is somewhat manifested in refusing to replace clothes.

Ugh. Who knew something like replacing a pair of yoga pants could be so emotionally fraught? STUFF is so hard to disentangle from hopes, grief, anxiety, etc. (Funny, just like money is).

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2018, 09:25:30 AM »
Oh, and replace all 4 of my very stretched out bras. That's $$$ right there. =(
My view, as someone who really needs a good bra all the time, is that you should go out this weekend and spend money on 2 new bras that fit you well.  Hand wash them (just a quick swirl round in some soapy water will do fine) and hang them to dry.  Two will keep you going for a long time on this regimen.  And all your tops will miraculously fit you better as a result, I promise.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
My view, as someone who really needs a good bra all the time, is that you should go out this weekend and spend money on 2 new bras that fit you well.  Hand wash them (just a quick swirl round in some soapy water will do fine) and hang them to dry.  Two will keep you going for a long time on this regimen.  And all your tops will miraculously fit you better as a result, I promise.

I do delicate cycle in lingerie bags, and air dry, and they have lasted years =) Two of them are 4 years old, 2 are 2 years old. They're just getting really, really old is all, haha. And of *course* I can't have a normal damn size of a rib cage (30), so finding bras that fit right has been a nightmare. The 4 I have are all actually size 32 bands from Victoria's Secret, and they've held up better than any of the other brands I've had (Curvy Kate, Flirtelle, etc). So I keep buying these even though they aren't the perfect fit, because at least they hold up to my very active life, haha. (FWIW I did hand wash the name brand ones for a while, but I couldn't reliably get all the soap out, and got a couple nasty rashes. That was a nightmare).

Clearly, I am a high maintenance creature!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »
A neighbor actually wants 3 gallons of paint the builders had left in our house 5 years ago!  That will save me having to buy tons of cat litter to absorb enough of it to throw it away.

I parted with a blazer today that I've only worn once.  It's cute, but it doesn't fit me well enough and it doesn't fit my style at all.

Youngest kid outgrew his booster seat!  If no one in the neighborhood wants it this week I'll throw it away (can't donate them).

If you've got usable paint but don't want to use it, other options:
1. Theaters - community, school, etc.
2. Habitat for humanity/similar.

Hazardous waste drop off events often take paint. this is good for the stuff you can't use especially.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:46 AM »

I do delicate cycle in lingerie bags, and air dry, and they have lasted years =) Two of them are 4 years old, 2 are 2 years old. They're just getting really, really old is all, haha. And of *course* I can't have a normal damn size of a rib cage (30), so finding bras that fit right has been a nightmare. The 4 I have are all actually size 32 bands from Victoria's Secret, and they've held up better than any of the other brands I've had (Curvy Kate, Flirtelle, etc). So I keep buying these even though they aren't the perfect fit, because at least they hold up to my very active life, haha. (FWIW I did hand wash the name brand ones for a while, but I couldn't reliably get all the soap out, and got a couple nasty rashes. That was a nightmare).

I am also hard to fit and had really old bras. I went to Nordstroms and got fitted. Found 3 bras that I liked. Bought one of each, then went home and went on ebay. Found many more of them and got for about $20 each. More money than the old process, but much less stress/time/fuss/angst than usual. Totally recommend.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »

Hazardous waste drop off events often take paint. this is good for the stuff you can't use especially.

Our landfill told me to open the containers, let it dry out and then put it in the trash

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »

I am also hard to fit and had really old bras. I went to Nordstroms and got fitted. Found 3 bras that I liked. Bought one of each, then went home and went on ebay. Found many more of them and got for about $20 each. More money than the old process, but much less stress/time/fuss/angst than usual. Totally recommend.

Okay sorry, I should say it's hard to find bras that fit at a price point I'm okay with. I've been professionally fitted (multiple times actually), I just don't like the price tag. And I hate the buy online/return/etc process. Plus I keep getting bras that I *think* will be comfortable, then a week or two in have something that drive me up the wall about them. That's why I keep going back to the good ol' VS bras. Not perfect, but not setting cash on fire, so it's an improvement. I found precisely ONE bra that fit perfectly for it's lifespan, and then it stopped being made and online availability quickly dried up >.< Bras and me don't get along, is the point.

OKAY GUYS. Based on this convo, I'm gonna start "one-in, one-out"ing the pieces that don't work/are too worn/etc. I need to stay accountable because I have a hard time getting rid of old clothes. First up. I got a zip up. I will give myself ONE WEEK to make sure it will work for me, and then my stained white one of the same cut needs to go. I pinky swear =P I also bought a pair of tennis shoes. I will give myself TWO WEEKS with those to make sure they don't suck, and then my last attempt at work shoes will go byebye, since they never fit well.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »

Our landfill told me to open the containers, let it dry out and then put it in the trash

Yeah, but it'll take a very long time for a full can to dry out. When they're empty or nearly so that's much more reasonable.

I had to dispose of 40-50ish gallons of old paint last year (I counted but forgot). The ones that were basically empty I just left open to dry then tossed, but the rest were half or more full. Hazardous waste took it all. More recently, I've donated full, unopened cans to habitat for humanity (my friends have weird stuff), and partially used cans the local theater group is happy to get. The stuff is perfectly good, so I'm happy to have it be used rather than throw it out.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Great and brave decluttering, @oneday!  I have not attacked my knitting UFOs yet... finding it harder to let go of unfinished projects. 

How about offering the knitting accessories to an after school program or a local knitting circle?

@Poundwise, I offered them to my own knitting circle!  It was only about a quart baggie full, but my friends took everything but one tapestry needle.  So I tossed it, as it is a larger size & I don't use bulky yarns much.

All my knitting stuff fits in two boxes, but they are big & measure 6 cubic feet.  I think this is too much for me.  Fortunately, I had collected up other people's scrap yarns for a scrap blankie, so when that is done I can get rid of the remainders (about 40% of the bulk).  Unfortunatly, I packed that project up until the house sells, so that won't be cleared out any time soon. :(

Have been going through the books.  There are a dozen or so I want to keep.  The problem is that many of the cast offs were gifts from my STBX.  I can't just toss them in the donate box, as he will see & not understand.  It will hurt his feelings & I don't want to create bad blood.  We have been able to work together very well so far.  So I guess I have to find a way to steath-donate these.

My next target is the kitchen.  Not sure if I'll find much there.  In the baking stuff, I found one mini-muffin pan that can go.  At least I'll know what I have when that is done.  And I don't have to worry about donating in secret!

The good news is that we have a massive box for donation already.  Can't wait to clear that out!  STBX agreed to get rid of some of his own things which he had tried to hold on to in the past.  This is good because we are sharing a storage unit until the place sells & we each find our own apartments.  My goal is not to store anything only to get rid of it later, but that probably won't happen 100%.  We have a very short time line before the place is listed.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »
@Bracken_Joy, I support your one-in, one-out rule.  I am also very hard to fit, especially pants, and I have a hard cap on how much I will pay for an article of clothing.  It takes a long time, but I always find what I need eventually.  The trick I have learned is to start shopping for a replacement item when something starts to wear out, as it could take months to find the right item.  I didn't follow this rule when my tan cardigan was showing wear a few months back & I had to toss it a week ago (hole).  Now I am down to only 4 cardigans...have to scrounge up a 5th outfit somehow for work.

I made a rule that if it wasn't in good enough shape to wear to work (even if I wouldn't wear it to work, like your yoga capris), then it wasn't in good enough shape, period.  So the PJ pants with worn out waist elastic had to go, even though there were no holes & I never wear them outside.  Maybe you can work on coming up with some similar rules for yourself?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2018, 05:03:57 PM »
@Bracken_Joy, I support your one-in, one-out rule.  I am also very hard to fit, especially pants, and I have a hard cap on how much I will pay for an article of clothing.  It takes a long time, but I always find what I need eventually.  The trick I have learned is to start shopping for a replacement item when something starts to wear out, as it could take months to find the right item.  I didn't follow this rule when my tan cardigan was showing wear a few months back & I had to toss it a week ago (hole).  Now I am down to only 4 cardigans...have to scrounge up a 5th outfit somehow for work.

I made a rule that if it wasn't in good enough shape to wear to work (even if I wouldn't wear it to work, like your yoga capris), then it wasn't in good enough shape, period.  So the PJ pants with worn out waist elastic had to go, even though there were no holes & I never wear them outside.  Maybe you can work on coming up with some similar rules for yourself?

Hmm. I would have no clothes I'm pretty sure =P But no, that's a good idea. I may need a little looser criteria though. I both hate clothes spending and I hate shopping, so I don't end up finding bargains, because I never go look for them. I realize it's not a good system. Hence buying most of my clothing at costco. I'm already there, easy returns, limited selection.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2018, 06:44:20 PM »

I have read the follow up comments / discussion of this. I have the same issue from time to time. Made worse by disliking shopping and finding it difficult to find clothes that fit well, suit my needs, don't cost a fortune etc.

One thing that has been helping me lately is using Smart Closet (a wardrobe app) because I can see *what I actually wear*. Turns out that in warm weather when I'm not working, I want to wear comfy shorts all the time. Maybe for you, it would demonstrate that you wear yoga pants every day of the week and never wear your other pants. I'm not buying clothes this year, so I will keep putting up with imperfect shorts (one pair too short; one pair too loose around the waist) but when I do buy clothes again, I will do a better job of buying what I will actually wear based on my app data. I think it will really help me declutter and replace when the time comes.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »

Friends of mine once found a free chair that was set outside to be pickup by a stranger. It turned out to be a classic designer chair that is actually worth some money.

Nice!

I saw the neighbors that carried the bookshelf down the block. They looked college-aged. ALL my furniture was hand-me-down in collrge, so I'm pleased to have passed something good along. :)

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2018, 04:53:09 AM »
Found you all!

Thanks for decluttering the old thread. :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
Bracken_Joy, the point is to find rules that work for you, so if mine are too restrictive, then by all means adjust for your situation.

~~~~~

While I'm haven't gotten rid of anything else yet, I did get the kitchen packed up.  Well, the "extra" dishes, mostly baking things that I use exclusively in December.  They moved to the storage unit, does that count? :)

Also going through my books I found more knitting things...knitting books!  I thought I was done with knitting stuff.  Was able to divide books into his/mine/ours/donate.  "Ours" are mostly photo albums.  I have a plan for getting the donate books out tonight. Stealthily!

Up next is out of season clothes and the craft drawer.  I think a lot of the craft stuff will just be donated.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
Had to find a birth certificate & current report card for one of the kids, so ended up cleaning out both kids files when it wasn't immediately findable. Got rid of about 20 pieces of paper, 10 envelopes, etc that were unnecessary. Yay for less paperwork! I keep trimming down my filing cabinet one file at a time. My goal is to go through each file when I'm adding or finding anything. I used to need two drawers. I'm down to 2/3 of one drawer for now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »
Had to find a birth certificate & current report card for one of the kids, so ended up cleaning out both kids files when it wasn't immediately findable. Got rid of about 20 pieces of paper, 10 envelopes, etc that were unnecessary. Yay for less paperwork! I keep trimming down my filing cabinet one file at a time. My goal is to go through each file when I'm adding or finding anything. I used to need two drawers. I'm down to 2/3 of one drawer for now.

I need to go through my files soon. I've been doing really well filing stuff, which is great, but I need to clear those files out periodically, which I haven't done haha. At least they're in roughly chronological order?

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
Oh boy, all this talk about sorting the files has me hanging my head. I have papers I wrote in high school sitting in the basement, along with every tax return and check I've ever written. The spare room has a big file cabinet full of more recent 'important' things. The attic has several boxes of 'I have no idea what is in there'.

I applaud those of you who are tackling paper. After I get our main living spaces deep cleaned, I'll make this a priority. But first: Took a bag of electronics to the Reuse/Recycle place yesterday. Today I brought fabric into the house...but it has a use. Two general purpose chairs and 5 dining room chairs will soon look spectacular.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »
Oh boy, all this talk about sorting the files has me hanging my head. I have papers I wrote in high school sitting in the basement, along with every tax return and check I've ever written. The spare room has a big file cabinet full of more recent 'important' things. The attic has several boxes of 'I have no idea what is in there'.

I applaud those of you who are tackling paper. After I get our main living spaces deep cleaned, I'll make this a priority. But first: Took a bag of electronics to the Reuse/Recycle place yesterday. Today I brought fabric into the house...but it has a use. Two general purpose chairs and 5 dining room chairs will soon look spectacular.

You'll get there. Be prepared with a shredder or some way to safely dispose of them though. Not everything needs that treatment, but it is a lot. And then it's an ongoing battle, cause it just keeps coming!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2018, 08:55:19 AM »

I need to go through my files soon. I've been doing really well filing stuff, which is great, but I need to clear those files out periodically, which I haven't done haha. At least they're in roughly chronological order?

I find paperwork to be one of those projects that I can only commit to like 10-15 minutes at a time. Some days, I get super into it, and keep going. Other days, I'm out as soon as the timer beeps. You have to have some mental energy to decide what's important. But, you can do it! Break it into super small tasks & it will be done in no time.

Today I need to get the house ready for a birthday sleepover for my 12 year old. That will inevitably involve some decluttering/cleaning. Kids are constantly bringing paperwork, wrappers, etc into the house, and it's a non-stop battle to stay on top of it.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2018, 09:09:43 AM »
I'm in the middle of a giant KonMari style declutter. My wife is so not on board, but I hope that sorting out my own crap will make hers bother me less.

Anyway, I'm doing pretty well. I have ~10-15 medium sized bags to get rid of and I'm just at the beginning of the neverending komono category. However, I'm really slowing down because all these bags are in the way. I live in a small apartment in a big city and don't have a car. How am I supposed to get all this crap to the goodwill? I find it easier to get rid of stuff if I can pretend it will have another life elsewhere, so I'm reluctant to just throw it away downstairs.

Any ideas? I figure Mustachians would be more likely to have come across this problem than the people in my KonMari facebook group.

It's a lot of stuff to try to get it into a taxi, and it's backed up so much it feels overwhelming to take it on the train one or two bags at a time. I've thought about renting a car or using 1-800-got-junk, but both of those options are expensive enough I don't want to use them until the entire declutter is finished and the bags are in the way now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2018, 09:17:11 AM »
I'm in the middle of a giant KonMari style declutter. My wife is so not on board, but I hope that sorting out my own crap will make hers bother me less.

Anyway, I'm doing pretty well. I have ~10-15 medium sized bags to get rid of and I'm just at the beginning of the neverending komono category. However, I'm really slowing down because all these bags are in the way. I live in a small apartment in a big city and don't have a car. How am I supposed to get all this crap to the goodwill? I find it easier to get rid of stuff if I can pretend it will have another life elsewhere, so I'm reluctant to just throw it away downstairs.

Any ideas? I figure Mustachians would be more likely to have come across this problem than the people in my KonMari facebook group.

It's a lot of stuff to try to get it into a taxi, and it's backed up so much it feels overwhelming to take it on the train one or two bags at a time. I've thought about renting a car or using 1-800-got-junk, but both of those options are expensive enough I don't want to use them until the entire declutter is finished and the bags are in the way now.

A few ideas:
1. Buy Nothing Project. Then people pick it up right from you.
2. For big ticket items, your apartment trash room is a great way to get freebies gifted. (I have gotten so much good furniture this way, haha)
3. Some orgs will arrange pickup for you. I think St Vincent de Paul's does this? Call and ask!
4. Uber?
5. Phone a friend.
6. I have literally borrowed a shopping cart from Trader Joes (I asked, seriously), and walked the 1.2 miles to goodwill with the cart full of crap. Sure, I looked like a homeless person, but it got the job done!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2018, 10:00:08 AM »
I need more nice summer tops but am being really really fussy.  I was in the US visiting my sister and we went shopping.  I tried on 7 tops, walked out with none.  Before I would have bought the 2 that were sort of OK, but now I am being firm with myself.  If I don't absolutely love the way the top looks on me, it doesn't get bought.  At this rate I will be lucky to find 2 tops this year.

I plan to continue watching the Olympics (my every 2 years TV binge) with file folders and the shredder close at hand.  There is lots of down time in bits and pieces that I can use to sort and shred.

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »

I'm so happy to hear the marital flipside of this stage!  (Seems so many KM groups are full of women who can't get their husbands on board.)

What about borrowing that party idea from the Minimalists, only it's a Trek To The Goodwill party?  Get a bunch of people to help you carry it, then all go have a beer or something fun.  Great photo opp.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »
Have you tried Vietnam Veterans. They come to my neighborhood quite frequently. You just have to call and they come and do a pick up of small items and bags of stuff. No large furniture. Maybe Salvation Army will do a pick up. Or do a search to see what kind of organizations are in your town that will pick up stuff. Maybe call the Senior Center or call some churches. Don't call 1800 got junk, they are super expensive and will throw all the stuff away or possibly donate it, who knows. I had them come one time to my house and I could have rented a HUGE dumpster for less than got junk cost. We found this organization that came to my Mom's house after she passed and took everything. Furniture, clothing. There were a couple of mattresses they wouldn't take and a broken recliner and another chair a mouse had chewed on but every thing else they took.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2018, 10:50:54 PM »
Everyone is talking about files.  My nemesis.  One day I will get them under control, but not on the compressed timeline of trying to stage & sell this condo.

Was able to find a donation center near work for the books & got them plus a few other items out of the house at lunchtime, yay! 

Also worked my way into the corner behind the desk, chucking some papers as I went.  Was going to reupholster a couch that was at our prior place, but that was 12 years ago.  Held on to two of the cushions sans covers because they fit in the cavity between the two desks placed in an L shape in the corner and made a more-or-less continuous surface.  Also because they were expensive (yes, sunk cost fallacy).  But they were useful!  We have had a gigantic paper organizing doohicky on them to hold papers this whole time.  Won't need that arrangement anymore, as each of us will take one of the desks, no more L shape or cavity.  The cushions are in the trash!  Felt gleeful as I tossed them!

Items that haven't left the house yet, but are slated to: the craft items mostly went in the donation box at home for future donation (STBX has no interest in craft items so I don't have to be stealthy). The craft stuff I'm keeping fits in a sandwich baggie.

Holding off on the out of season clothes as they make good packing material & lighter-weight box fillers, so they'll be absorbed into the rest of the mass of stuff...won't cull these until unpacking.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2018, 12:00:44 AM »
Finished off ribbon and a roll of wrapping paper on a birthday gift for a friend's son.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2018, 12:16:09 AM »
Finished off ribbon and a roll of wrapping paper on a birthday gift for a friend's son.

Give the cardboard tube to someone with a dog. Dogs love em.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2018, 12:22:40 AM »

Babies too!

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2018, 01:45:25 AM »

I have read the follow up comments / discussion of this. I have the same issue from time to time. Made worse by disliking shopping and finding it difficult to find clothes that fit well, suit my needs, don't cost a fortune etc.

One thing that has been helping me lately is using Smart Closet (a wardrobe app) because I can see *what I actually wear*. Turns out that in warm weather when I'm not working, I want to wear comfy shorts all the time. Maybe for you, it would demonstrate that you wear yoga pants every day of the week and never wear your other pants. I'm not buying clothes this year, so I will keep putting up with imperfect shorts (one pair too short; one pair too loose around the waist) but when I do buy clothes again, I will do a better job of buying what I will actually wear based on my app data. I think it will really help me declutter and replace when the time comes.

I had clothes that Only were for use at home before I read Marie Kondos book and ditched everything that I would not be prepared to use outside my apartment. Now I have some clothes that don’t fit me because I have gained some kilos. I have decided that IF I haven’t lost those kilos until summer they will also be gone. I have actually limited my purschases this winter because I will be traveling from August onwards and wan’t to limit the stuff in storage. I think it is time for another purge now. I realised I want to fel comfortable in mY clothes. I have a large size for bras that makes underwear cost a fortune but it is something I am never going to save on because their is nothing more uncomfortable then a bra in wrong size.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2018, 02:54:09 AM »

Babies too!

No cardboard tube, which I didn’t notice till now.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2018, 09:14:37 AM »
My husband and my brother will be cleaning out the garage soon. I'm pretty excited. I'm also excited that I'm not part of that team. :p

Nancy

« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
I dropped off one bag full o'stuff at Goodwill. Feels great! I got rid of two dresses and other summer stuff. I think I might use up my fabric and sew up a summer skirt to add to the rotation.