Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 66979 times)

dashuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #950 on: July 10, 2018, 02:19:38 AM »
As part of the Great Shuffling Around of a week ago, I brought mine and OH's university notes (a combined seven years worth of maths and engineering degrees, maybe about 25 lever arch files) down from the loft and dumped them in our bedroom.

Intended to just strip all the paper out and lob it straight into the recycling. None of it has been looked at since 2005.

Then the first file I opened happened to contain a couple of the more interesting modules from my final year...

Sigh.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #951 on: July 10, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »
Got a copy of Marie Kondo's first book from the library. Let's see if this gives me some inspiration. There's a chance DH and I will move back to the city and sell our house we bought a couple years ago... this will require extreme downsizing, especially if we go back to an apartment rather than a house. We had to acquire all the trappings of suburban life, plus some hobby stuff (home gym, gardening equipment, so on). If I can at least thin stuff now, while we wait on making any moves, it'll be good no matter what. But especially so if we list the house!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

shadesofgreen

• Bristles
« Reply #952 on: July 10, 2018, 10:23:47 AM »
I was able to add a few more things to my box for donation. I believe that I will be doing a haul and drop either this weekend or next. I am actually looking forward to this because when it happens within a day or two I end up finding things I didn't realize needed to go so I start another box.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #953 on: July 10, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »
They are at a good place now! We just moved a few months back and had got rid of a lot of clothing.

diapasoun

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: July 10, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »
I started tackling the books a bit. I'm a wee bit data obsessive, and I keep a spreadsheet of my books, including the percentage read. I worked out the percentage read by genre, and it is... indicative. There is a set of books I acquired during grad school, intending to read/cite as a Good Grad Student, and I just never did. At this point? Most of them need to go. I'm going to take a break from work this afternoon and sort through that shelf.

Raymond Reddington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #955 on: July 10, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
re: tax writeoffs for donated items. It is typically limited to clothing, or are there other categories of items that can be taken to a goodwill / salvation army type place and generate some tax savings?

"asking for a friend"

lots of trinkets and tchotchkes that may not sell via ebay/amazon/CL
"The reality about transportation is that it's future oriented. If we're planning for what we have, we're behind the curve." -Anthony Foxx

"Silence is the best way of saying f*** you"

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #956 on: July 10, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
re: tax writeoffs for donated items. It is typically limited to clothing, or are there other categories of items that can be taken to a goodwill / salvation army type place and generate some tax savings?

"asking for a friend"

lots of trinkets and tchotchkes that may not sell via ebay/amazon/CL

You can write off almost anything that could be sold....DVDs, jewelry, books, etc.  Just be realistic about the value.  If you can't sell it via all of those methods - is it priced too high?  What could Goodwill conceivably get for the item?
Boldly leading a blended family into (future) financial independence

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #957 on: July 11, 2018, 06:57:57 AM »
I don't think many of us will be able to deduct charitable deductions under the new tax plan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/20/your-money/tax-plan-donations-charities.html

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #958 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »
I still have the kitchen machines that I want to get rid off standing in a box in the garage. Because we have no shop in the vicinity of our house where I can deliver it. And the public delivery place is a bit far driving. I tried giving it away to colleagues at work. But one mentioned that close to where I live, there is a deposit for the next flea market. Once a week they will receive this kind of goods there. That will help.

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: July 11, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »
As part of the Great Shuffling Around of a week ago <snip>

lol!

Intended to just strip all the paper out and lob it straight into the recycling. <snip>

It's not too late!

<snip> I end up finding things I didn't realize needed to go so I start another box.

Same!

They are at a good place now! We just moved a few months back and had got rid of a lot of clothing.

It's a good feeling, having just the *right* amount of something.

@Linda_Norway I guess you have to have some patience for the flea market drop off day.  Not easy!

============================================================

I am working from home today and on my lunch hour I:

• emptied the filing supplies onto a table so I know what I have
  • used the now-empty box to hold the papers related to condo sold this year
  • realized while typing this list that those papers can go to patio storage (after work is done today)
  • put away the canvas bag the condo papers were in
  • copied my summary page from the 2017 taxes for 2018 (early!  I usually do this at tax time)
  • updated the 2018 tax summary with info so far (closed bank accounts)
  • filed the 2017 tax folder
  • moved the box of taxes to patio storage closet

This might all fall under @dashuk's heading of "The Great Shuffling Around" (or more accurately, The Lesser Shuffling Around of July the Eleventh), but I did move 1 bag, 1 box and soon to be another box out of my living area and to their homes (I always want to say "final resting place").
A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #960 on: Today at 09:00:27 AM »
Tried to get the kids to sort through costumes I thought they were done with. They ended up playing with them for several hours instead. No decluttering accomplished. We are giving away a salad spinner and a food processor. Neither have been used more than once a year. I loathe cleaning the food processor so I refuse to get it out. More open space in the cabinets!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #961 on: Today at 09:35:19 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a food processor (arthritis makes chopping and mortar and pestle work hard). In keeping with one in, one out, I may give away my juicer that hasn't gotten much use the last several years. I may also be able to get rid of our rice cooker since the Instant Pot does that just fine, though I can imagine instances where I'd want both working at once.

The mail stack has gotten ridiculous again, so I'm trying to take care of that while I watch the World Cup final.

In big things, we acquired a portable air conditioner (it got up to 107 F here), a barbecue, an outdoor wok station, and ANOTHER sewing machine (we now have three; we have purchased none).The wok station will get regular use, and the barbecue will get seasonal use. We'll likely keep the one sewing machine that serves our needs best, but we're going to have to try them all out first before deciding. The one from my grandma needs a tuneup.

I think my next big purge is going to be the desk in my bedroom. If I can manage that, I'll have more room for yoga AND I can move the keyboard from the living room to my room (no one else uses it, andI don't use it when people are home). My desk has a ton of crap on it, though, so this is going to be quite the undertaking.

Because of turning our garage knto a recording studio (awesome, by the way), we brought some amps and things into the house that we haven't found places for yet. I'm not sure what we can get rid of to make room for those.

Things aren't as bad as the were pre big declutter, but the house is looking decidedly full. (Worth noting: we have four adults living in a house meant for two; it's easy to fill this pkace up). We need to make some big decisions.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #962 on: Today at 02:34:47 PM »
I've been getting back onboard the decluttering train lately. Seems to go in cycles.

- We gave the garage another going-over. Even though I thought it was pretty good already, we found a bunch more stuff to toss/give away.

- Did another swoop through the basement and gave away a bunch of stuff.

- Have some items listed on Facebook to sell, if it doesn't sell I will donate.

- Gave a beautiful Wedgewood cup & saucer to my SIL as it has no sentimental meaning for me, but means a lot to her. Also gave the same SIL a bunch of K cups I can't use.

- My city has a big Re-use Rendezvous in September, so I am going to start making a pile of items to put out for that.

I figure if I keep chipping away at it when the spirit moves me, eventually there won't be any more clutter (yah right!)

jooniFLORisploo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #963 on: Today at 02:46:30 PM »
My kid accepted a bunch of two people's refuse. I waited to see what use it got. It's gotten none. I'm going to offer him $10 for the pile -and toss a couple of other unused things in there at the same time- and if he accepts, give myself one day to get it to the thrift and otherwise chuck it into the dumpster.

Still wishing folks would give their stuff directly to the thrift, so we can select mindfully. But this works too :)       Well, it works until kid realizes how much money he could make off me by accepting other people's unwanteds, lol. So far so good though.

I already thrifted a bunch of stuff people gave me on our trip. The day after we got home, it was gone. Yay!
"...the nose wants what the nose wants..." madgeylou