Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249418 times)

krmit

• Stubble
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #750 on: May 24, 2018, 11:41:03 AM »
Reorganized the bookshelves the other day. After 3 years in this apartment, FINALLY put the books in some semblance of alphabetical/topical organization. Also managed to add some seven year old college textbooks to the Goodwill pile.

Does anyone else find inertia in getting the donation pile OUT of the house? I don't think it's that I actually want to keep any of it...maybe just laziness on my part.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #751 on: May 24, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
Will scrub my empty home :)

...which I will declare "decluttering specks of dirt." Like weeding, it counts!

Does anyone else find inertia in getting the donation pile OUT of the house?

It's a hard part for lots of people. There seem to be two clubs: one group struggling with that last step; one as eager about it as all the others. When there's even a small pile, it goes in my car for the next time I'm passing a thrift shop.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #752 on: May 24, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »

Does anyone else find inertia in getting the donation pile OUT of the house? I don't think it's that I actually want to keep any of it...maybe just laziness on my part.

My favourite place to donate is not in a direction I often go, so I either donate elsewhere, or wait until I am going in the right direction - by which time I have a full car!  Speaking of which, 3 more boxes out this week.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #753 on: May 24, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »
We have a tiny pile near the door that doesn't seem to be shifting because it needs to go to specific people, but the books and clothes are an easy discard and leave on a regular basis.  The big one for me is the ~400 manga that I want to get rid of. I am TOO LAZY to try ebay it, it doesn't seem to be accepted by 2nd hand bookstores and yet, some of these are really difficult to acquire and would be really appreciated if only I could work out how to find their people. I know I know, just donate.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #754 on: May 25, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
In the last two weeks I have been able to get rid of-
1 loveseat, overstuffed chair, 5x8 rug, painting, lamp and coffee table- all were gifts to a cousin restarting her life in a new apartment
3 bags of jeans, tops and coats went to a homeless shelter

this weekend I'd like to finish going through the stuff in the laundry room, get the thrift store donation pile into my car and dropped off. Possibly add some clothing from my own closet.

Then start listing the furniture I have to sell.
Once that's out of the way I an think about organizing and clearing out boxes I think.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #755 on: May 25, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
Donated three pair of too small kid shorts + a pair of sandals

I also found a crystal Waterford pitcher that I'd forgotten about. Will get posted on eBay after my business trip

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #756 on: May 26, 2018, 01:35:52 AM »
Doing really great work today with listing items on Buy Nothing that I'd dithered over decluttering for MONTHS.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #757 on: May 26, 2018, 01:42:39 AM »
We have a tiny pile near the door that doesn't seem to be shifting because it needs to go to specific people, but the books and clothes are an easy discard and leave on a regular basis.  The big one for me is the ~400 manga that I want to get rid of. I am TOO LAZY to try ebay it, it doesn't seem to be accepted by 2nd hand bookstores and yet, some of these are really difficult to acquire and would be really appreciated if only I could work out how to find their people. I know I know, just donate.

eBay still seems like the best way to go. If you donate it, you don't know whether it'll end up in a landfill anyway. Just take a picture of your entire collection and list it as 'free to a good home'. I'll bet you'll get takers.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #758 on: May 26, 2018, 04:50:02 AM »
Go to Vietnam Veterans website:

https://pickupplease.org/schedule-ppc/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=donations&utm_term=vietnam%20veterans&msclkid=61d72cd465951a2dfba577dd5f2c0edd

Schedule a pick up date.

Put stuff in garbage bags.

Attach a label to each bag with V V A written on each bag.

Leave outside where you indicated bags would be located.

They will pick up.

I have done this many times and they are very efficient. You don't even have to leave home.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #759 on: May 26, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »
I paused on listing old things on Amazon about a year ago when we moved houses. Just started it up again and sold a couple of things last week. I also got a document scanner and am slowly emptying out our file cabinet. The goal is to get all the paper we're keeping around down to the size of one desk drawer, and at that point the entire file cabinet can go.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #760 on: May 26, 2018, 04:36:22 PM »
I finally cleared out some old junk out of the shop I've been saving to take to the scrap metal place for ages, an old aluminum radiator, old lawn tractor batteries, broken extension cords and a bunch of scrap copper cable ends.  Got over $100!  Less clutter and more cash for the 'stach, woohoo!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #761 on: May 28, 2018, 10:49:07 AM »
The last of the computer/tech was donated to a local NPO that wipes data before resale/recycling (like, a hard wipe after the neo-Luddite in me 'deletes' everything and thinks it's good). We're down to the computers we *actually* use. WOOT!

Also, got rid of some excess outdoor toys that were gifted to us by moving neighbors that LO won't actually play with (or that we have duplicates of, like pails and shovels).

Gonna spend the day cleaning and eyeing anything else that needs to go; I plan to take a bag of nice stuff a donation run to a local thrift store and another bag of lost causes to a textile recycling bin nearby.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #762 on: May 29, 2018, 06:25:19 AM »
I convinced my husband to move an upright bookshelf from our living room to our bedroom.  We went through all of the books, and ended up getting rid of like 30 of them, as well as some decorations.  It's awesome. 

Now our living room feels more open, and our bedroom feels slightly more put together. We don't have a bed frame, just a mattress, so it's nice to have some furniture.  We're looking for a bed, but it's a slow process, because I'm determined to find one I really like this time around.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #763 on: May 29, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »
I "decluttered" half of my yard of weeds this weekend and didn't get heatstroke!

I finally started sorting through boxes of keepsakes.  Six years ago I inherited all of my grandmother's and all of my father's framed pictures, photo albums, and boxes of important papers.  They've been sitting in 7 boxes in my office ever since.

I filled two extra-large trash bags of things to throw away, filled a medium-sized box with picture frames that I will give away, and sorted the photos in three boxes of photo albums into decades so I can do further culling. It's now consolidated into 4 1/2 boxes.   It's going to take me months to get all these scanned in, but I'm proud of myself for finally starting. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #764 on: May 29, 2018, 12:29:22 PM »
Good job @formerlydivorcedmom --weeding is so satisfying

Sitting in my highly disorganized art room/studio.
About to start a round of clearing out supplies and projects that don't have momentum or energy behind them.
Fresh starts...wish me luck!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #765 on: May 29, 2018, 12:33:19 PM »
Our progress is so slow that it's ridiculous, but we did have another VVA pickup this morning, several bags and boxes gone. Slow progress is better than no progress!

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #766 on: May 29, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »
Got rid of 2 big itmes:

1 lawnmower from the shed sold for 50

1 treadmill from the den sold for 100

The extra money is nice but the space both items created is actually even better!!

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #767 on: May 29, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
I finally got the big stuff out of the house over the weekend! Than I managed to get some shredding done and am slowly going through things. A small but important step was just getting the big furniture gone. The house seems a bit lighter which I am enjoying.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: May 29, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »
We managed to declutter by putting stuff away from a recent trip. Nothing actually left the house but it's still better to not have suitcases piled in the living room. I have misplaced the charger for my trimmer battery and it's causing me a lot of angst. I've looked in all the obvious places but it wasn't there. The downside of taking stuff off the random junk shelf and giving it a "home" is that I clearly don't remember where that home was. I still think we have way too much stuff but most of it that remains needs my DH to sort because it's electronic stuff I can't identify or things the kids are desperate to keep.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #769 on: May 29, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
Another 4 large bags of clothing was donated this week. I've started shredding some old bank statements again - found some from 1997, but mostly 2006-7.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #770 on: May 29, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »
My niece and nephew and brother dropped in.  I gave them some really lovely little girl dresses that are size 2-6.  I really don't know why we still had them.  A whole bag left the house.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #771 on: May 30, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »
I convinced my husband to move an upright bookshelf from our living room to our bedroom.  We went through all of the books, and ended up getting rid of like 30 of them, as well as some decorations.  It's awesome.

Great job! I find book decluttering *SO HARD*. Especially now that I have a kid and I think, "But SOMEDAY..." I so desperately want to pass on my love of science fiction and sassy lady writers to him...

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #772 on: May 30, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »

Great job! I find book decluttering *SO HARD*. Especially now that I have a kid and I think, "But SOMEDAY..." I so desperately want to pass on my love of science fiction and sassy lady writers to him...

Yes!  I pulled about 3 dozen books off the shelves to give away...and my 10-year-old decided that she wants to try them all.  Turns out she really likes Agatha Christie.  So the books stay.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #773 on: May 30, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »
Caught up on this thread and I'm restarting my decluttering journey. Attacked our junk drawer and scanned and threw away loads of paper. Have a bunch of todo to do now.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #774 on: May 31, 2018, 12:44:42 AM »
Not so much decluttering as visual decluttering of my wardrobe- it's time to move all the summer clothes out of rotation and bring out the jerseys.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #775 on: May 31, 2018, 06:54:25 PM »
Went through boxes of old letters and photos and got rid of 75% of them.

I'm an avid pen pal and have been for thirty years, so there were a LOT of letters!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2018, 05:59:38 AM »
A car full of dog equipment went out (donated).  Two crates and a grooming table gone has freed up a lot of floor space.  If I get another dog (not in the plans any time soon) Kijiji will be my friend.

Also 2 big garbage bags (my usual garbage output is 1/2 of one regular bag).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #777 on: June 01, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »
Not so much decluttering as visual decluttering of my wardrobe- it's time to move all the summer clothes out of rotation and bring out the jerseys.

I know you're in a different hemisphere, but that just is weird to me. I just put away my winter clothes in favor of the summer ones.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #778 on: June 01, 2018, 02:36:02 PM »
@firelight @Mezzie I've said it before, but paper is my bugaboo.  I'll try to take inspiration from the work you have done!

@RetiredAt63 quadrulpling your trash output is impressive!

This weekend I'll be Kondo'ing my clothes and will report back here.  I've already got a box full of stuff from when I re-packed the holiday box, so I'm hoping to double that to two boxes with the addition of the clothes.  AND get it taken to the donation place this weekend.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #779 on: June 01, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »
Filled four boxes of books from my clasroom to return to the bookroom. I'd been tasked with housing them. I'm now relinquishing that role.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #780 on: June 01, 2018, 11:47:48 PM »

I know you're in a different hemisphere, but that just is weird to me. I just put away my winter clothes in favor of the summer ones.

Everyone is *shivering* and *dying* in the brisk 17C weather this week, looking around for the sleeves no one has worn for 8 months.

In that spirit, I gave a friend some Uggs our son had outgrown so her feet will be warm, and dropped off some winter coats at the Vinnies. Someone will find them useful.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #781 on: June 02, 2018, 02:43:51 AM »
This morning I went to a flea market. Lots of people there at 9 in the morning on a Saturday. I went looking for some specific books that I have borrowed from the library, but that I like to keep and make notes in. I didn't find them. I stood there with a classic cookbook in my hands and had almost thought of buying it. But then I remembered that I recently removed 50% of my cookbooks and that I should fill up the shelf with new ones.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #782 on: June 03, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »
The garage is pristine, practically EMPTY, and organized!

I got rid of some very old stuffed animals.

I cleaned out the pantry and organized shelves.

I cleaned out the refrigrrator.

I did order something... there are some small treasures I plan to keep, but they're hidden away in an ugly box. I bought a beautiful 10" x 6" vintage wooden hinged box that will itself be beautiful while holding beautiful things. :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #783 on: June 03, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
Well done, Mezzie!  You are really on a roll!

This weekend I'll be Kondo'ing my clothes and will report back here.  I've already got a box full of stuff from when I re-packed the holiday box, so I'm hoping to double that to two boxes with the addition of the clothes.  AND get it taken to the donation place this weekend.

It's done.  I was surprised at the amount of items I am getting rid of*, as wardrobe is one place where I feel I have always done a good job of culling constantly.  And I'm sure I won't miss most if not all of those things, since they were sometimes a burden to wear.

*6 pants & 18 tops, plus various accessories - definitely another box full, but in a bag because I'm out of boxes!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #784 on: June 03, 2018, 09:34:32 PM »
I went through my bathroom and threw out 90% of my makeup, much of which was decades old. Why was I keeping hold of lipsticks from university? And these were the ones that survived regular purges and multiple shifts, including moving country. I don't wear make-up. I can let go of it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #785 on: June 03, 2018, 09:40:17 PM »
I went through my bathroom and threw out 90% of my makeup, much of which was decades old. Why was I keeping hold of lipsticks from university? And these were the ones that survived regular purges and multiple shifts, including moving country. I don't wear make-up. I can let go of it.

Good job--I love getting rid of old cosmetics, or using up cream/shampoo/soap, etc. That stuff seems to hang on MUCH longer than necessary.

Moved out another bag of odds & ends including gloves which no one ever wore/brand new, a few sweaters that made me feel like an old man (I am neither old nor a man) and a few boring books that I honestly did not want to read

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #786 on: June 04, 2018, 04:17:06 AM »
I just decluttered my private files on my job PC. Electronic decluttering is also a good thing to do once in a while.

At home, I have recently required som stuff in the form of paper sheets, which I have piled on the dining table. One is a pile of recipes. I should look which of them I want to keep and put them into one of my cookbooks.
The other is a pile of documents that I printed for a recent public meeting. I just need to scan the 1-2 documents that I need to keep and post them on dropbox. Rest should be in the bin. Maybe they can all go to the bin?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #787 on: June 04, 2018, 04:22:56 AM »
I found more junk around my house. More sneaky places stuff has been stashed for years. So, I ran across some video's (movies), some were even in the plastic and never watched. I don't even remember buying these movies! A few yes, the rest no!

I looked up some on ebay and the pricing is all over the place. From $1.99 to $12.99. It could take me a year to sell them and make a whopping $12 for all of them!

Does anyone know of an organization that would like DVD movies? Like senior centers, nursing homes or ??? Or sending them to Veterans in the military?

Maybe I will just donate them to Vietnam Veterans.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #788 on: June 04, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »
Came across this, had a good laugh when I remembered that this is no longer me!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #789 on: June 04, 2018, 04:43:18 PM »
@mspym, thanks for the chuckle re shivering at +17!  That's tank top weather where I live, maybe even bikini weather if you're out of the wind!  Shivering doesn't kick in until about 0 degrees.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #790 on: June 05, 2018, 02:00:40 AM »
Earlier I sold my racing bicycle. Now DH has sold or given away some cycle parts that we meant to help lifting up the triathlon arm rests on that bike. Nice that he is also in the modus for getting rid of stuff we don't need.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #791 on: June 05, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
We're going to host a backyard barbecue and board games in the garage to celebrate our newly roomy space. :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #792 on: June 05, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
At this time of the year, my number one goal is to not let new clutter into the house. The kids are coming home with bags of school supplies (half used), art projects, homework assignments, etc. Must stay on top of the influx, and later I can worry about decluttering beyond that.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #793 on: June 07, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
We filled a bag with books that don't need to be read again & some clothing that I never wear, mainly non-natural fabrics which I shy away from.
Really enjoying the de-cluttering energy happening in the house right now..

I have another box waiting to be filled: recognizing that I currently enjoy space more than stuff

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #794 on: June 07, 2018, 11:52:51 AM »
Question - bras. I have a number of lightly worn bras from 20 lbs ago. Is there a good place to donate them? Or are they just landfill?

I understand there are good reasons to say no underwear unless it is brand new. But bras are pricey. But used. It isn't like I think people should be grateful, I just don't want them thrown out if they could be useful. IDK.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #795 on: June 07, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
Question - bras. I have a number of lightly worn bras from 20 lbs ago. Is there a good place to donate them? Or are they just landfill?

I understand there are good reasons to say no underwear unless it is brand new. But bras are pricey. But used. It isn't like I think people should be grateful, I just don't want them thrown out if they could be useful. IDK.

I think bras are different from undies. Not so much different from a tight sitting t-shirt.

And even then, there is a market for used underwear. Some (weird) men love to buy used women's underwear.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #796 on: June 07, 2018, 12:52:12 PM »

And even then, there is a market for used underwear. Some (weird) men love to buy used women's underwear.
[/quote]

EWWWWW!!!!!!!!! JUST EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #797 on: June 07, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »
Good Will/Value Village and such will accept used bras.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #798 on: June 07, 2018, 01:54:25 PM »

EWWWWW!!!!!!!!! JUST EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.

I haven't sent anything to our local weirdo, although he was interested in a body I sold. I ended up giving it away for free in a charity box.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #799 on: June 07, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

I read somewhere that charities for homeless was looking for bras and underwear. I have also bras that are getting to big when I loose weight. Really annoying due to the price tag. The good part is that I have some smaller sizes that are basically new.