Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1276184 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #6450 on: March 02, 2023, 08:17:02 AM »
Some microdecluttering of a few things lost in 'habituation zones', places I always ignore that have clutter.  Noticed a jar of something on top of a speaker. Cracked it open and it was a dried out sponge of some sort of cleaning solution. 

Recycled the plastic jar and tossed the sponge.

Slow and steady the race is won.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6451 on: March 02, 2023, 02:25:48 PM »
I also decluttered the junk drawer and also tackled the stationary drawer.  Got rid of elastics, dead batteries, some Scentsy bars, a few pens, and a bunch of greeting cards.  My motivation has been kind of dismal lately, so just trying to do something, even if it's not very much.  It the time of year that's to blame, I think.  I hate the tail end of winter - I just want to be outside and run out of steam for indoor stuff.  Must keep plugging as best I can though, because there's still stuff to do and once it warms up, it won't get done at all.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #6452 on: March 02, 2023, 03:57:48 PM »
I decluttered the kitchen table this morning.  Finding cat vomit from overnight on it sure helps focus the mind.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #6453 on: March 02, 2023, 07:01:28 PM »
Cleared out all of the holey clothes in our little dudes dressers last night…. Bagged up the fabric for the recycler today, and dropped it off. Sent the stuff they grew out of that was still nice to the consignment shop.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6454 on: March 02, 2023, 07:02:31 PM »
I decluttered the kitchen table this morning.  Finding cat vomit from overnight on it sure helps focus the mind.
It’s a real Call to Action, that’s for sure.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6455 on: March 02, 2023, 07:09:14 PM »
Listed four items on Buy Nothing: a bottle of aloe vera (sealed) found in the garage. Origins completely uknown. An eye pillow/gift from a friend that I'll never use. Better to admit that now & send it on to someone who will enjoy it. Two water bottles from a hotel, that somehow made their way home with us. All are spoken for, so junk out!

I have a pile of things I need to go through this weekend: jeans teen outgrew (sell, because he was a very awkward size - 27x33 & none of my neighbors will fit that?), a couple of posture/back items for my at home desk chair. I exclusively stand, so those can be passed on to others.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6456 on: March 02, 2023, 07:53:07 PM »
I also decluttered the junk drawer and also tackled the stationary drawer.  Got rid of elastics, dead batteries, some Scentsy bars, a few pens, and a bunch of greeting cards.  My motivation has been kind of dismal lately, so just trying to do something, even if it's not very much.  It the time of year that's to blame, I think.  I hate the tail end of winter - I just want to be outside and run out of steam for indoor stuff.  Must keep plugging as best I can though, because there's still stuff to do and once it warms up, it won't get done at all.

Good for you, SunnyDays.   A cleaned up  junk drawer is a thing of beauty, lol.
(See my previous post from a few days ago). 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6457 on: March 03, 2023, 01:09:21 PM »

Good for you, SunnyDays.   A cleaned up  junk drawer is a thing of beauty, lol.
(See my previous post from a few days ago). 

Yes, I saw it, that's what inspired me to clean mine!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6458 on: March 07, 2023, 05:40:48 PM »
Donated two bar stools, two lamps, a microwave, a pair of curtains and some other small things to the Rotary club as they are collecting things to Ukrainian refugees that are coming to our city.

Went through a tote with frames and such and pulled some out to get rid of and some I need for an upcoming craft project. Still trying to pare things down from the move, which was almost a year ago, as I have less wall space to hang things on, and less storage room.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6459 on: March 07, 2023, 07:48:23 PM »
Two more books put into a street library and I am clearing out G’s old room of various forgotten bits of junk with his blessing. We do *not* need any recorders or participation trophies! Out to the trash they go!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6460 on: March 07, 2023, 08:32:49 PM »
placed old fishing rods, net and a tackle box on local Buy Nothing Group and they have been gifted to a dad who wants to teach his kids to fish!

gifted an older bluetooth speaker to a chef to rock out while he cooks on Buy Nothing Group

Also went through all of our bowls, junk drawers, catchalls, etc and threw away a bunch of flotsam and jetsam, old mail, receipts, keychains etc.  Seriously, where does all the crap come from????

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6461 on: March 08, 2023, 05:13:33 AM »
After 4 moves in 3 years you would think I had no more stuff to get rid of.  But no, I had 2 full boxes of stuff from the most recent unpacking.  They finally made it to the car, sat in it for a few weeks, and got dropped off last week.

I should start a new box.  I am sure there are more things just taking up space.

One item gone is a happy story. I know someone online who wanted something.  She couldn't buy one because it was an older version that is no longer made.  I had one and didn't need it.  So it is on its way to BC right now.   :-)

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6462 on: March 08, 2023, 07:23:20 AM »
After another paper purge, I've now got 7 bankers boxes and one plastic tote of photos. 
That includes everything from birth certificates and deeds and house maintenance/warranty info to 10 years of taxes - I believe that's not too bad for someone in their 60s that's a single person household, but I'm curious about the equivalent numbers for others?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6463 on: March 08, 2023, 10:52:52 AM »
After another paper purge, I've now got 7 bankers boxes and one plastic tote of photos. 
That includes everything from birth certificates and deeds and house maintenance/warranty info to 10 years of taxes - I believe that's not too bad for someone in their 60s that's a single person household, but I'm curious about the equivalent numbers for others?

My parents are in their 60s/70s and have I believe 4 boxes of papers.

One thing they struggle with is if you don't own the house anymore, you don't need the paper anymore (outside of specific key documents). I don't know if that's applicable for you, but just in case that's a blind spot it might help.

Also, you don't need years of old utility bills.

Edit: re the photos, that is a different category. My mom has far, far more pictures than you do.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 12:31:28 PM by Sibley »

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6464 on: March 08, 2023, 11:04:49 AM »

I'm also single and in my 60s, and own a home, and to me, that sounds like a lot.  An awful lot.  I don't use bankers boxes, but everything I have stored in accordion files etc, would probably fit into one, one and a half, tops.  I'll bet you could purge it way down.

I only keep 7 years worth of tax records and have gotten rid of all the components except the actual return and receipts.  It all makes a stack of about 1" thick.

House deed etc is kept at the Land Titles Office, warranty info for small things gets tossed, but I do keep manuals for some items.

Birth certificate is one card.

For house maintenance, I keep only those things related to major repairs or renos, like shingles, windows etc.  So not much.

I don't have a lot of photos, because to me, they're just clutter.  Most of what I have is on my computer.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #6465 on: March 08, 2023, 11:15:51 PM »

When I was in my mid-30's I had 7 banker boxes of paper, but got it down to 2 with a lot of purging and scanning. Now I have 1 box, plus an accordion file. And a system to prevent things going into banker boxes anymore.

This does not include pictures. That's a whole separate ball of wax. They will someday be scanned and purged. Right now they take up about 2/3 of the closet floor.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6466 on: March 10, 2023, 04:59:18 AM »
In my 40s and 50s I had a large study with lined and littered with boxes of paper including a closet full ...maybe 30 or so. I had bills, bank statements and tax returns back to the 1980s. I drastically reduced by successive waves of purges, but then bought more in when I retired at 60 ( various professional papers I had trouble letting go of).  Now in my 60s, I have less than 10 after more rounds.  Its still a work in progress on my to do list to round up any more boxes in the shed and go through them and the ones in the house. I hope to end up with  5 or less.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6467 on: March 10, 2023, 07:10:17 AM »
Thanks for the info.
I actually have 2 houses including a tiny family rental, and I'm unofficial executor for 2 elderly family members, so my storage includes some papers related to that.

But you've all inspired me to continue to purge.  Goal would be 4 boxes and then investigate photo scanning.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6468 on: March 10, 2023, 09:43:47 AM »
Also went through all of our bowls, junk drawers, catchalls, etc and threw away a bunch of flotsam and jetsam, old mail, receipts, keychains etc.  Seriously, where does all the crap come from????

Lol.  I went through a box of lotions, ointments, nutrient pills, etc, and threw out some. Lots of old expired stuff. And stuff that dries up even if inside the tightly sealed container.   Flotsam, lol.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6469 on: March 10, 2023, 09:51:59 AM »

On an extreme note, my late hoarder girlfiend left me with massive amounts of paper clutter. I was taking bags after bag of paper to recycling for forever.

All gone now, but I still have my own paper stuff. Lots of manuals from work, lots of old bills. I toss some of the old bills every year, keep some just to see what the old rate was.

Also recycle one or two of the manuals every few months. No regrets yet, lol. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6470 on: March 10, 2023, 11:53:03 AM »

On an extreme note, my late hoarder girlfiend left me with massive amounts of paper clutter. I was taking bags after bag of paper to recycling for forever.

All gone now, but I still have my own paper stuff. Lots of manuals from work, lots of old bills. I toss some of the old bills every year, keep some just to see what the old rate was.

Out of curiosity, what's preventing you from doing a bigger purge, say for example all the old manuals go in recycling at once (or at least, until you fill up the recycling bin)? Logistics?

I know for my parents, there was a combination of logistical problems and emotional hang-ups that kept them from purging more. Easily 2/3 of everything went away during the move and aside from the tools only a handful of items have been missed. The tools shouldn't have gone, but I was told they had been packed and didn't confirm, plus mom was on an anxiety-spiral over them and dad shut down, so it was just easier to not open that can of worms with everything else going on.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6471 on: March 12, 2023, 08:30:46 AM »
I picked up a few items of clothing for a trip we will be taking for a month, so as per my 1 in/1 out rule, I'll be going through my closet today, and finding items to donate. I've also decided to break my decades long habit of only wearing black &/or navy tops, so I purchased a few colors. It will be fun to trade in some of the black & navy clothes for a pop of color.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6472 on: March 12, 2023, 09:39:35 AM »
One grandparent likes to give our daughter Hanna Andersson gift certificates. I had been passing them on to the local free group along with other clothes, however Hanna just created a resale market for used clothes.  Posted 5 items and in one week I sold 2 dresses and 1 pair of pants for $50. $35 cash or $60 in store credit (I jumped on it quickly because I think they'll be dropping store credit from 125% of sale price to 100% after they get enough market traction). I bought everything on sale, so if I go the store credit route, I'll have paid less than $5 for the use of those 3 items. (And she loved them so wore them often.)

Been working hard to get out the kid items: scads of clothes, potty training items (diaper pail, changing table and pad), 45 kid book - some really fat space taking board books. Redid the area which had held the changing table into a home office nook for me now that I'm wfh 80% time.  This transformation more than anything made me feel like I'm making progress and gives me motivation to continue the good fight.

Basement is lighter too now: Got rid of a kid armchair (used solely as a stepstool by the kids to climb things they shouldn't - and they haven't even noticed it's gone), bunch of big cardboard blocks, a train set, etc. Brought a bookcase up to the office nook.

Finally, working on being more careful on bringing in freebie from the local group. Next up bulky item will be the high chair within a few months.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6473 on: March 12, 2023, 10:43:30 AM »
<<

>> 
--------------------------------------

Then Sibley asked :

Out of curiosity, what's preventing you from doing a bigger purge, say for example all the old manuals go in recycling at once (or at least, until you fill up the recycling bin)? Logistics?

I know for my parents, there was a combination of logistical problems and emotional hang-ups that kept them from purging more. Easily 2/3 of everything went away during the move and aside from the tools only a handful of items have been missed. The tools shouldn't have gone, but I was told they had been packed and didn't confirm, plus mom was on an anxiety-spiral over them and dad shut down, so it was just easier to not open that can of worms with everything else going on.
   >>

Then Slackmax responded :

My parents were great about getting rid of stuff when they downsized into a new place. I helped them. They were just throwing out lots of good stuff! I rescued some tools for myself, and some electronics, and some records and tapes. 

I got them to let me sell a lot of it on Craigslist, and they gave me 50% of the profits.

But, like I said, they were not hoarders or sentimental at all. My mom just recycled a whole lot of old black and white photos of relatives and old friends!

Unlike my parents, I want to keep some of my stuff for sentimental reasons, and other stuff, like technical manuals,  because I think I can (possibly!)  get some money for it on Ebay or who knows where. I realize the 'getting some money for it' angle is kind of improbable, and would be a big hassle, which is why I allow myself to get rid of the stuff in small allotments every so often.   

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 10:46:32 AM by slackmax »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6474 on: March 12, 2023, 10:51:05 AM »
I let my girl friend reorganize my kitchen closet. It's much neater now and easier to see what is actually there. Plus we found some stuff to throw out and donate. 

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #6475 on: March 12, 2023, 02:52:13 PM »
I am starting to really design my life and house. I have thrown out all of that I should own mentality. Another 3 bags out of this house. Hubby and I are working on really simplifying this house. We are slowly working ourselves to the extreme minimalist view point. Time to get to our ideal.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6476 on: March 12, 2023, 07:22:47 PM »
My parents were great about getting rid of stuff when they downsized into a new place. I helped them. They were just throwing out lots of good stuff! I rescued some tools for myself, and some electronics, and some records and tapes. 

I got them to let me sell a lot of it on Craigslist, and they gave me 50% of the profits.

But, like I said, they were not hoarders or sentimental at all. My mom just recycled a whole lot of old black and white photos of relatives and old friends!

Unlike my parents, I want to keep some of my stuff for sentimental reasons, and other stuff, like technical manuals,  because I think I can (possibly!)  get some money for it on Ebay or who knows where. I realize the 'getting some money for it' angle is kind of improbable, and would be a big hassle, which is why I allow myself to get rid of the stuff in small allotments every so often.

I think our brains are wired differently! But I'm glad its working for you.

The vast majority of what was disposed of from by my parent's wasn't bad, but also not needed. They had the accumulation of decades of china, decorative items, etc, plus whatever was inherited from their parents or other family. Having a few of these items isn't an issue, but they had far more than could reasonably be displayed. A very few items my sister or I took. They had a big estate/yard sale, some bigger items were sold on FB marketplace or similar, and the rest was picked up by someone who resales, so at least it didn't go direct into a landfill. Basically, it was the classic situation that you see lamented upon by Boomers who complain their children don't want their stuff, because their children already have their own households.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6477 on: March 12, 2023, 07:42:17 PM »

I think our brains are wired differently! But I'm glad its working for you.

The vast majority of what was disposed of from by my parent's wasn't bad, but also not needed. They had the accumulation of decades of china, decorative items, etc, plus whatever was inherited from their parents or other family. Having a few of these items isn't an issue, but they had far more than could reasonably be displayed. A very few items my sister or I took. They had a big estate/yard sale, some bigger items were sold on FB marketplace or similar, and the rest was picked up by someone who resales, so at least it didn't go direct into a landfill. Basically, it was the classic situation that you see lamented upon by Boomers who complain their children don't want their stuff, because their children already have their own households.

Yeah, the restful experience of decluttered space matters more to me than the small amount I might get from selling items slowly.

Re parents, that's why I like the idea of Swedish Death Cleaning.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6478 on: March 13, 2023, 11:11:47 AM »
I too really like the idea of Swedish Death Cleaning. The problem that I ran into with my parents is that it simply wasn't their mindset. They weren't (and aren't) focused on what they will leave behind after they're gone. So, while my mom was perfectly find to get rid of stuff, and did get rid of stuff constantly as I was growing up, in retrospect it really was whatever was outgrown by us kids. That was a massive amount, but it simply didn't touch the boxes and boxes of dishes, mugs, crystal, serving bowls, decorative and functional and otherwise stuff. The only thing that worked to touch that stuff was moving to another state.

Even then, it wasn't perfect. My mom has at least 8 chairs in the basement of the new house, most of which are not currently functional for one reason or another. Why? Because they belonged to some family member or other.

We also struggled, HARD, with my mom because she had a very outdated idea of the value of things. It got to the point one day that we were in the living room, packing things to move, and mom thought some Toby mug was worth hundreds of dollars. I pulled out the laptop, went to ebay, found the same mug and looked at actual sold prices for it, which were very much not hundreds of dollars. That was the point at which mom started to realize that her treasured possessions largely did not have monetary value. The next point was when the estate companies didn't want to do an estate sale, we had to DIY it. That really drove home to her that there wasn't value in all her dozens of boxes. If you want to monetize things, that's fine, but you need to be realistic about their actual value.

--------
More directly on topic, I cleared out a few things from the garage. Some went to trash, some went to Habitat for Humanity for use. There's more clean up needed, but its cold.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6479 on: March 13, 2023, 03:20:02 PM »
Continuing to find empty seed packets in my seed box. I am also testing the germination on all the really old seed and composting / feeding the birds and squirrels. Surplus collected seed is getting donated to the seed library. I am keeping better records for how much seed I actually can use in the space I have to plant. And which I can collect from this year's garden so I don't have to buy 50 seed packets when I only need 5 plants. I hope to consolidate to one single seed box by the fall.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6480 on: March 13, 2023, 04:30:04 PM »
We've got the food storage levels to the point where it's comfortably contained in the kitchen. No more basement pantry! It feels so much better having less inventory.

I've also found a material recycling bin so next up is going through the old bedding and the sewing WIPs I am never going to complete because they turned out be a bad idea.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #6481 on: March 14, 2023, 09:11:25 AM »
Is there a charity that wants socks?   Like, socks that are annoying to wear?

Smartwool has a Second Cut program where they will accept any used socks and make them into new products. You can either mail them in ir drop them off at participating retailers.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6482 on: March 14, 2023, 09:37:30 AM »
Is there a charity that wants socks?   Like, socks that are annoying to wear?

Smartwool has a Second Cut program where they will accept any used socks and make them into new products. You can either mail them in ir drop them off at participating retailers.

I have also heard (perhaps from a Bombas commercial) that socks are the most frequently requested item at homeless shelters.  I have no idea if this is true, but it may be a good place to donate.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6483 on: March 14, 2023, 08:17:00 PM »
Too small snowpants, a blouse I thought I liked but didn't, and some makeup out. Clothes into the donation bag and makeup in the trash. I was given two new cosmetic items so I tossed the one I had. I'm still up one but not two.

Cleaned out my car. Do not need more tote bags!

Got some more stationery out by writing notes.

As to the personal papers questions, I have one half-empty accordion file and one shoebox of pictures.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6484 on: March 15, 2023, 07:38:31 AM »
My office was tossing a few things from the lost & found in the locker room (gym clothes). I brought them home, washed them, & will give them away on Buy Nothing. I realize this is the opposite of the thread title, but they were perfectly fine & trendy clothes, that someone will surely want. I'm not a size XS sports bra, or I would have been tempted. ;-)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6485 on: March 15, 2023, 09:43:14 AM »
@Josiecat23503 , something about this comment makes me uncomfortable. I see the sarcasm tag, but still...

I will say that even for us less-well-endowed women, that area is sensitive, and sports bras are much better at reducing friction than ordinary bras.

Besides, she might have wanted to change back into cleaner, fresher work clothes after a sweaty workout, including undergarments.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 10:01:27 AM by oneday »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6486 on: March 15, 2023, 10:49:15 AM »
@oneday, certainly meant no offense; my attempt at humor clearly fell flat.  FTR, I'm a postmenopausal woman who has experienced the ravages of pregnancy, nursing, aging and gravity personally and meant absolutely nothing disparaging.  Comment has been removed.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6487 on: March 15, 2023, 02:36:57 PM »
@Josiecat23503 thank you, I appreciate your understanding :)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6488 on: March 19, 2023, 08:10:30 PM »
Two bags of donations filled up and ready to drop off.

Contacted a friend who wears the fancy office clothes I no longer have need of and she's happy to take all of them! (I like to send pictures and get the ok before just shoving a bag at someone who might feel obligated to take it.) It was all fantasy self decluttering--I no longer have the lifestyle or job that necessitates fancy clothes, especially ones that are in a size that is unhealthy for me. It was very emotional for me and I usually don't get emotional about decluttering.

I've been watching A to Zen Life's YouTube channel and it really helped me get over those feelings. The clothes are going to a good home, even if the final destination isn't with the friend. I made it clear that she doesn't have to keep any of it and is free to pass anything along that she won't wear.

I also decluttered my office drawers. Tax paperwork is properly filed. I threw away/recycled an employee benefits handbook that was expired, some half-used stickers I won't finish, free address labels, etc.

I posted three books on Paper Back Swap and one was on a wishlist so it will go out soon. If a book isn't immediately claimed I donate it and remove it from the listings. Two will go to the trade bookshelf at work.

A finished puzzle went to a friend who a) likes puzzle and b) works in a clinic that sets up puzzle tables for their patients. It was so pretty but so frustrating that I will never attempt it again.

Three lids/rings to a smoothie blender set that I don't use went into the trash. They aren't recyclable and only fit this specific brand so I'm not bothering to rehome them.

Packaged up some books/magazines to mail to my parents. Reusing a bubble mailer I received a package in.

Packaged up a pair of jeans I'm sending to a friend by fashioning an old calendar into a mailer.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6489 on: March 20, 2023, 06:22:37 AM »
Finally found a place to donate several pairs of old eyeglasses that have been sitting on my hall table for over a year! Apparently my MIL's church takes eyeglasses for donation, so we brought them over when we saw her this weekend to add to her next donation drop. It's a very small thing, but I'm glad to have them out of the house!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6490 on: March 20, 2023, 10:25:18 AM »
Had the teens try on all of their shorts, in anticipation of our spring break trip. Some got passed from one kid to another, and six pair are going to BN, all to be picked up in the next day or so.

Made time to try on all of my stuff for spring break trip (we're going to Dubai during Ramadan, so need very specific stuff). By trying them on, deciding what exactly went together, & what I didn't need, I was able to return a few things, before the return window closed, which saved money & eventual clutter.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6491 on: March 20, 2023, 06:58:56 PM »
Well, I set a cat scratching board by the door to take out and I must have piqued ALLL the feline interest because 2 out of 3 cats used it in front of me for posing and scratching!  It has some life in it yet. 

I used up a very weak free sample of ground coffee this morning that was a gift for my charity stitching group members. 

I used up a weird body wash. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6492 on: March 22, 2023, 07:11:07 PM »
Some very positive feedback on my recent giveaways. Friend wore my favorite of the items I gave away, one I had a really hard time giving up. She went on a sales call and landed a six figure deal (her first)!! And she loves the clothes, so double win.

Just got a picture from the friend I sent the puzzle to. She has it out at work and patients are working on it and already complete the outside.

I found one more clothing item I'll offer to the friend. I'm not a blazer-wearer anymore and she is.

Mailed the book request today, wrapped in pages from a damaged book.

It's time to get rid of the winter clothes I didn't wear this year, or don't love. I've got a robe in the washer to clean up to donate, plus the shirt I wore today. It was gifted to me, but it has a very high neck in front and a very low back. Before you ask, I tried wearing it backward and it's worse. Off it goes!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6493 on: March 22, 2023, 08:17:33 PM »
We're changing seasons so I'm looking through the things I haven't worn this season or already know I'm unlikely to wear in the next and deciding what is for donation and what is just plain worn out. I've also picked some of my second tier items to leave in NZ next week.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #6494 on: March 23, 2023, 06:03:37 PM »
Moved 4 bags of baby stuff to a friend’s women’s shelter, and a pile of books to our neighborhood’s little free library box. Now the books we have (mostly) all fit in the shelves again :) I’ve been reading more e-books, which is also helping with book accumulation. Also as my kids grow we’ve found a friend with a baby who wants their outgrown (already hand me down) clothes. It’s fun to keep the items circulating around our friend community.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6495 on: March 24, 2023, 10:26:58 AM »
Finally found a place to donate several pairs of old eyeglasses that have been sitting on my hall table for over a year! Apparently my MIL's church takes eyeglasses for donation, so we brought them over when we saw her this weekend to add to her next donation drop. It's a very small thing, but I'm glad to have them out of the house!

Thanks for that. I have a lot of old glasses and cases I want to donate. I heard you could sell them online, bit not worth the hassle, probably, lol. So I will donate them.   

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6496 on: March 24, 2023, 10:46:01 AM »

Thanks for that. I have a lot of old glasses and cases I want to donate. I heard you could sell them online, bit not worth the hassle, probably, lol. So I will donate them.   

Every optometrist’s office I’ve been in has a box for donations of old glasses.  I’ve been told that the prescription is read and then they are sent off to third world countries.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6497 on: March 25, 2023, 03:57:24 PM »
I successfully freecycled some toiletries today.  I listed several things on CL as well. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6498 on: March 25, 2023, 05:10:13 PM »
Worked on my extensive collection aluminum foil containers. Now to find a place to donate them to. 

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #6499 on: March 25, 2023, 05:20:10 PM »
We started unpacking our kitchen today. Despite getting plenty of stuff out the door on the packing end, we have a box full of stuff to donate today, too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!