Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1262119 times)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #5800 on: May 03, 2022, 06:37:54 AM »
I'm having trouble getting rid of things that are theoretically mendable, but logistically not so much. 

For example, I wore through the heels or balls of one side each of 5 pairs of wool socks in the last year.  I really did try to darn them, but the wool is fine enough that my patches are really thick compared to the rest of the socks, and they're uncomfortable to wear.  I feel SO BAD getting rid of that many wool/wool blend socks all at once.  I've found a few that are similar weight and paired the un-holey socks as well as I can, but I still have the other halves in my mending box. 

It's the same thing with kids' clothes that I could *probably* patch the knees on, or cardigans with a hole in the neck that I've already sewn up 4 times.  I don't NEED them, but I feel so wasteful just putting them in the trash.  No one else wants them either, though.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5801 on: May 03, 2022, 08:07:12 AM »
Some furniture shuffling happened on the weekend.  Stuff got emptied out of two cabinets and not all went back in to one new cabinet and a writing desk.  This morning I realized the bird book that my mother fobbed off on us 20 years ago smelled moldy.  And she bought us a new bird book about 10 years ago.  Why I have been keeping this stinking bird book all these years? Now it is in the recycling.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5802 on: May 03, 2022, 09:11:22 AM »
I'm having trouble getting rid of things that are theoretically mendable, but logistically not so much. 

For example, I wore through the heels or balls of one side each of 5 pairs of wool socks in the last year.  I really did try to darn them, but the wool is fine enough that my patches are really thick compared to the rest of the socks, and they're uncomfortable to wear.  I feel SO BAD getting rid of that many wool/wool blend socks all at once.  I've found a few that are similar weight and paired the un-holey socks as well as I can, but I still have the other halves in my mending box. 

It's the same thing with kids' clothes that I could *probably* patch the knees on, or cardigans with a hole in the neck that I've already sewn up 4 times.  I don't NEED them, but I feel so wasteful just putting them in the trash.  No one else wants them either, though.

Most thrift stores do fabric recycling, so you can donate the stuff to them.  Just clearly mark the bag so they don't have to sort through it.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5803 on: May 03, 2022, 09:18:19 AM »

Most thrift stores do fabric recycling, so you can donate the stuff to them.  Just clearly mark the bag so they don't have to sort through it.

Oooh, I did not know that!  I'll definitely look into it, that would solve a nice chunk of my clutter.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5804 on: May 03, 2022, 10:16:48 AM »
- Sold two side tables that I had planned to flip, but never got around to.
 - A lady is supposed to be coming today to pick up a bunch of stuff that was going to the thrift store.

Still to get rid of:
 - Deep freeze
 - Two French Provincial side tables
 - Small table that kid made in shop class
 - long table in garage

Offered the freezer to someone in a FB group that needs one. Will see if they actually come pick it up.

Will list the French Provincial tables today.
  SOLD!
I also need to go through my clothes one last time before moving and see if there is anything else that I can part with. Since I am not going back to work there are probably some work clothes that can go.

My Dad instilled in me a strong sense of "You might need that someday". He grew up during the Depression, and they didn't part with anything. I tried to get him to part with some old, rusty shovels and he launched into that speech. He lives in an apartment, and I am moving to a mobile home park where all of the yard work is taken care of by the park. We both have zero need for yard tools. Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 05:32:37 PM by Prairie Gal »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5805 on: May 03, 2022, 10:30:14 AM »
As we prepare to move back into the boat, I am working very hard at convincing myself that while it is true we might need it, the fact is that we can afford it at that time, if that time ever arrives.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5806 on: May 03, 2022, 01:38:12 PM »
As we prepare to move back into the boat, I am working very hard at convincing myself that while it is true we might need it, the fact is that we can afford it at that time, if that time ever arrives.

I left all my gardening tools with the house when I sold it.  Then I managed to find a community garden here.  At the height of lockdown I was able to buy the tools I needed for my new garden.

Some things I like to keep, but MMM was right when he said the community can be your storage shed (or words to that effect).

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5807 on: May 05, 2022, 04:18:45 PM »
I managed to buy secondhand gardening tools at the height of lockdown, too. I broke a trowel recently and was almost immediately offered a friend's extra trowel, unbeknownst to them that I needed one.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5808 on: May 05, 2022, 07:37:54 PM »
Found out there's a local paint recycling company that will pick up your old paint, for free.  So Tuesday, buh-bye all my old paint cans in the basement.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5809 on: May 09, 2022, 06:43:44 PM »
Threw away a burned up candle instead of cleaning out the jar and saving it for some hypothetical future use.

Put even more clothes in the donate bag. It's summer now and I'm getting rid of clothes I didn't love from fall/winter. I'm down to ten work shirts and five work pants. That will get me through the first week or two to see what else I need. I'm attempting to be systematic in my clothing acquisitions. Packed away the summer clothes and donated some of those, too.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5810 on: May 10, 2022, 04:39:57 AM »
Found out there's a local paint recycling company that will pick up your old paint, for free.  So Tuesday, buh-bye all my old paint cans in the basement.

Oh wow! That's great. I wonder if there is anything like that here? I have several cans of paint that could go.

Moved on the weekend and gave several items to family members that I no longer needed.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5811 on: May 10, 2022, 01:59:45 PM »

Oh wow! That's great. I wonder if there is anything like that here? I have several cans of paint that could go.

Moved on the weekend and gave several items to family members that I no longer needed.

Doesn't any paint store/department take old paint?  My local, independent one does.  There's also the dump, that takes such stuff and recycles it.  If you ask around, especially at a paint store, I'm sure there's something near you.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #5812 on: May 10, 2022, 03:29:02 PM »
Finally got rid of a few things that had been hanging around.  An old brew pot from my home brew, which was difficult to get into the rubbish bin due to it's size went out this morning in the rubbish collection, along with a brake rotor which I had been intending to throw out for ages but never quite made it to the bin, and an old alternator replaced about 4 months ago.

Gives me a bit more free room where the motorcycle is parked.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5813 on: May 11, 2022, 06:25:06 AM »
Decluttering by attrition. As I was looking for something in a cabinet, a jar fell onto one of my old glass beer mugs and broke a big chunk off of it. Recycled it. One less mug to take up space. Got about 15 more, lol.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5814 on: May 11, 2022, 07:57:32 AM »
The living room is full of piles to be donated at various places, with two more piles in the garage. Need to start deciding which tools to donate. I know we have an excess of tools partly because two handy people joined households, but why do we have three hammers?

Going to start trying to sell the furniture soon.

The last time we lived on the boat we had a storage room. This time, even the bikes will have a place onboard!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5815 on: May 11, 2022, 08:30:52 AM »
Four pictures off to the auction house to sell and half a box of old paperwork ready for recycling.

Still need to sort out some other bits and pieces to go to auction (jewellery I never wear, a few collectors' bits and pieces).

I'm getting some shelving put in a built-in wardrobe in my sewing room (formerly the spare room) which will hold my fabric stash.  Along with selling superflous items stored in there that then will be nicely decluttered.  I'll still have some excess paperwork and stationery to deal with but as that's stored away in the study it can wait till everything else is done.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5816 on: May 11, 2022, 08:55:59 AM »
The living room is full of piles to be donated at various places, with two more piles in the garage. Need to start deciding which tools to donate. I know we have an excess of tools partly because two handy people joined households, but why do we have three hammers?

Going to start trying to sell the furniture soon.

The last time we lived on the boat we had a storage room. This time, even the bikes will have a place onboard!

To be fair, I'm not necessarily all that handy and I have 2 hammers and a mallet. Please don't ask how many screw drivers I have.

But yes, there is a point at which its ridiculous.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5817 on: May 11, 2022, 09:47:41 AM »
Decluttering by attrition. As I was looking for something in a cabinet, a jar fell onto one of my old glass beer mugs and broke a big chunk off of it. Recycled it. One less mug to take up space. Got about 15 more, lol.

One trick I use when I have a bunch of things like old mugs is to re-frame how I think about them.  Normally I'd think "Which of these mugs do I want to get rid of?" and then I'd get sucked into the morass of making a bunch of decisions about which ones to part with, and it was really hard.

The trick I learned was to flip the question in my head.  So, nowadays I ask "Which of these mugs do I want to keep?  I'm only keeping 4, which ones do I like the best?"  Then I only have to pick 4 mugs that I really like (easy), and then the rest I can mass-recycle without any qualms, knowing that I still have the best of all the mugs still in my cabinet. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5818 on: May 11, 2022, 11:19:33 AM »

One trick I use when I have a bunch of things like old mugs is to re-frame how I think about them.  Normally I'd think "Which of these mugs do I want to get rid of?" and then I'd get sucked into the morass of making a bunch of decisions about which ones to part with, and it was really hard.

The trick I learned was to flip the question in my head.  So, nowadays I ask "Which of these mugs do I want to keep?  I'm only keeping 4, which ones do I like the best?"  Then I only have to pick 4 mugs that I really like (easy), and then the rest I can mass-recycle without any qualms, knowing that I still have the best of all the mugs still in my cabinet. 

Bingo!  Deciding what you want to keep is the key to getting rid of what you don't.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5819 on: May 11, 2022, 01:26:04 PM »
Bingo!  Deciding what you want to keep is the key to getting rid of what you don't.

Yes, this was a huge shift in thinking for me resulting in a lot more items purged.  I still have to remember to focus on it though.

On the purging note: bugaboo stroller with numerous barely used accessories, gifted to me by neighbors found a new home today.  Also passed along a bunch of other odds and ends that had missed in prior purges (e.g. 2 pairs of newborn socks, a 6 m hat, etc.)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5820 on: May 11, 2022, 05:40:59 PM »
Person finally came to pick up the deep freeze today. Yay!

Put a non-working lawn mower, old BBQ and several other small items on the driveway for free and all got picked up today. Another Yay!

Getting down to the nitty gritty of stuff left at the old house. I need to get rid of an old desk, which might be a little harder.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #5821 on: May 11, 2022, 10:57:28 PM »
I had to get a new phone last week (a few too many repairs on the old one, it was time) and the box it was shipped in didn't even have time to hit the recycle bin before I sold a similarly sized item online and shipped it back out again with the new (old) contents. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5822 on: May 13, 2022, 02:08:54 PM »
Had a frankly dismal day at the flea market today as I was trying to make a profit and declutter. The positive 'spin' is that I sold my Roberta Flack / Donny Hathaway album. I had heard it plenty and it was time to let some one else enjoy it.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5823 on: May 14, 2022, 12:56:44 PM »
I had to get a new phone last week (a few too many repairs on the old one, it was time) and the box it was shipped in didn't even have time to hit the recycle bin before I sold a similarly sized item online and shipped it back out again with the new (old) contents.

Love this! Packing/shipping materials are an item I'm working on. At my past job, we always needed shipping boxes and packing paper. Now I don't have that outlet I allow myself to keep one padded mailer at a time and everything else gets recycled.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5824 on: May 14, 2022, 01:07:50 PM »
An old clothing item bit the dust last week. I ordered a replacement and threw away the old one when the new one came in. The box got flattened and used for weed control in the garden. Shipping paperwork straight to recycling.

Went through prescription medication today to sort them by expiration date. One of my meds is $9 PER PILL so I cannot afford for one pack to go bad because of poor organization. Luckily, I only take them as needed and not daily, and none of them had expired. This is your reminder to check your meds!

My house came with one compost pile. Now it is full of lawn clippings, dead leaves, and kitchen waste. I made another from an old piece of fencing I removed. The first one is perking away and the second one is ready for another year's worth of waste diverted from the landfill.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5825 on: May 16, 2022, 07:34:03 PM »
My brother and I went through all .... everything from my mom's apartment and sorted out what was straight up junk and what we would keep and what to donate. She has a few items at her retirement home. It was hard slogging but we got it done. Better now than after she is gone. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #5826 on: May 17, 2022, 09:47:41 AM »
Congrats Frugal Lizard. That is quite a momentous achievement!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5827 on: May 17, 2022, 10:16:15 AM »
Old pillows.  What do I do with them.  They are objectively fine.  My Mom passed in February and I'm clearing her place now.  A lot were left behind when she bought the 5th wheel last summer.  Some were hers.  We seem to have a massive overabundance.  I'm thinking 10-15 bed pillows of various sizes.  I hate to just put them in the dumpster, but I don't need this many.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5828 on: May 17, 2022, 10:37:29 AM »
Old pillows.  What do I do with them.  They are objectively fine.  My Mom passed in February and I'm clearing her place now.  A lot were left behind when she bought the 5th wheel last summer.  Some were hers.  We seem to have a massive overabundance.  I'm thinking 10-15 bed pillows of various sizes.  I hate to just put them in the dumpster, but I don't need this many.

Donate them to Goodwill - I promise you someone will be delighted (and grateful) with nice pillows for their home.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5829 on: May 17, 2022, 01:05:11 PM »
Finally sold a new coat (gift) via eBay & got it out of the closet. I also kept the box it was mailed in, and used that for shipping to the buyer, which means I have two items out of the house!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5830 on: May 17, 2022, 05:26:59 PM »
Ah, tea. My old nemesis (or something). I have some flavored tea I'm very "meh" on. Thanks for the reminder okisok and Fresh Bread . I will make an effort over the next few weeks to use it up. Today would have been a good day for a cup in the afternoon, too! Ah well.

One of two boxes of meh tea gone!

Both boxes of the pedestrian tea are G-O-N-E! Woo!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5831 on: May 18, 2022, 01:22:17 PM »
@oneday High fives for no more bad tea!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5832 on: May 18, 2022, 11:09:35 PM »
@oneday High fives for no more bad tea!

Yay, high fives!

Time for the Tea Trials to begin. I've bought another box of tea and am recording brands and varieties along with my ratings, so I won't end up with 2+ boxes of something gross again.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #5833 on: May 19, 2022, 04:17:34 AM »
Slowly throwing the renovation rubbish out in the council rubbish collection.  The 80 litre bin doesn't hold much, but we have very little normal trash, so I get a fair bit of plasterboard or tiles out each week.  More than half of it gone from February, and hoping to get rid of the rest of it in the next few months before we start the kitchen renovation.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5834 on: May 19, 2022, 10:39:35 AM »
Slowly throwing the renovation rubbish out in the council rubbish collection.  The 80 litre bin doesn't hold much, but we have very little normal trash, so I get a fair bit of plasterboard or tiles out each week.  More than half of it gone from February, and hoping to get rid of the rest of it in the next few months before we start the kitchen renovation.

I've done this same thing before. If the trash company won't offer a smaller bin, at least I can make use of the excess space sometimes!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5835 on: May 20, 2022, 09:36:46 PM »
Took 3 books to the little library down the street. I read two of them this week and then decided I was not going to read the third. The little library was empty except for a discarded shoe, so I was glad I put three different books in there for the next person.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5836 on: May 22, 2022, 06:24:15 AM »
BIG win (by my standards at least)! We've accumulated an immense bag of worn out and ragged clothing, and I finally brought it to the farmer's market where there is a textiles recycling collection. As a bonus, I also picked up some Too Good To Go treats and combined the errand with another one (the farmer's market is some distance from my home), so that I wasn't driving out there just to recycle.

Next week the church is restarting our annual tag sale which was canceled during the pandemic, so I'm looking forward to making some space in the garage at last.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5837 on: May 22, 2022, 07:45:35 AM »
Took 3 books to the little library down the street. I read two of them this week and then decided I was not going to read the third. The little library was empty except for a discarded shoe, so I was glad I put three different books in there for the next person.

One discarded shoe! Ha! I was going through my shoe collection and found one worn out wingtip shoe worthy of going to textile recycling.

'm waiting, though, to find the matching shoe, since I'll forget I already recycled this one, ha ha.     

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5838 on: May 22, 2022, 08:34:23 AM »
Since I chose not to go to the flea market today where I sell stuff, I plan on roaming around the house, for just a half hour, looking for hidden gems that I can put into the sell pile or the recycle/toss pile.

I am continually surprised to find news stuff I had somehow overlooked before.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5839 on: May 23, 2022, 02:54:32 PM »
Recycled plastic shopping bags accumulated by the household above and beyond what we can use as trash bin liners. That bag of bags had been hanging off the front door handle for a week! Finally remembered in the way to the grocery store this week.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5840 on: May 23, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »
Gave away an old piece of dark room equipment to someone that was very happy to get it.

Took a bunch of extra boxes from moving to the re-cycling center.

Just a few bits and pieces left at the old house to get rid of. The last 10% is taking as long as the first 90%, it seems.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5841 on: May 24, 2022, 03:23:49 PM »
I tried to give away an old desk, but had no takers, so today it went to the dump. It was made out of MDF, so no great loss. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5842 on: May 24, 2022, 04:16:03 PM »
Put two clothing items into the donation pile. Neither fit particularly well, and are just taking up space in my closet. Moving them on to someone who may get joy from them.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5843 on: May 25, 2022, 03:50:29 PM »
 - sold a big Paris Ikea picture for $10.
 - a lady is coming to pick up a bunch of hangers tomorrow.
 - put a bunch more moving boxes in the recycling bin.

And that's a wrap on the old house.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5844 on: May 25, 2022, 05:27:00 PM »

Congrats, that must feel awesome.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5845 on: May 25, 2022, 05:40:43 PM »

Congrats, that must feel awesome.

Thanks! Indeed it is.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5846 on: May 26, 2022, 08:18:03 AM »
Congratulations on being done, Prairie Gal!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5847 on: May 28, 2022, 05:40:15 PM »
Way to go, @Prairie Gal !

I made the teens try on all of their shoes this weekend, and found five pair that need to go to the shoe recycling drop off, and one pair to give away on Buy Nothing.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5848 on: May 28, 2022, 10:42:50 PM »
Congratulations @Prairie Gal !

This afternoon’s task is being an audience and sounding board for a friend as she KonMaris her library.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5849 on: May 29, 2022, 01:16:50 PM »
Recycled plastic shopping bags accumulated by the household above and beyond what we can use as trash bin liners. That bag of bags had been hanging off the front door handle for a week! Finally remembered in the way to the grocery store this week.
It's a great feeling finally getting them out of the house, isn't it?
I have a bag of bags buddy whom I found through Buy Nothing... I save my bags for her and she uses them when she walks her dog. I'm hoping that if more people do this, there will be less grousing on social media about the plastic bag ban in our community.

As anticipated, the tag sale is very cathartic.  We got rid of a minivan load today, and my goal is to fill two more loads. Already, we're seeing a positive domino effect and it's now possible to reach all areas of the garage (there was only a narrow pathway before).  I spent all day yesterday and today going through boxes and tubs. Unfortunately, there were several items that were spoiled by the humidity, and others that will need cleaning before they are saleable. I threw out some broken items that I had meant to fix, and that was very freeing.

I still have 3 bins of items, mostly toys, which need to be reunited with their missing components in order to be desirable. It's frustrating to see the number of high-end toys that were played with only a couple of times, or simply even opened and scattered before the instructions were read, that were rendered unusable by losing pieces. I used to be better about monitoring the kids but nowadays I'm too busy during holidays to keep an eye on the gifts opening.

I do recognize that my obsession with disposing of items in the optimal way will someday lead to hoarding when I get older and less capable.