Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1276781 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #5700 on: March 12, 2022, 09:24:33 PM »
Disassembled the love seat which needs to be disposed of. Don't have a dumpster at this place, nor do I own any kind of saw. Will need to get creative with the disposal of the biggest piece. But the cushion covers are already gone, yay!

The plan is to fill any remaining space in the trash carts each week late on the night before collection day. Maybe it will take 3 weeks. This way it is free.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5701 on: March 14, 2022, 07:13:51 AM »
Pile of pottery was decluttered this weekend. A lot ended up in the dumpster since I could not find any use for it anymore.
The useful items were put in the shed and out of sight, so now it is just nice and clean.
Further did some cleaning in the kids' rooms. Few odd pieces made its way out of the rooms.
Also did a major decluttering on the bathroom and threw a lot of old stuff out.
Feels like a good weekend, where more stuff was thrown out than came in!

So now we can go and do the summer clothing exercise....... let's see what comes out of there.....

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5702 on: March 14, 2022, 11:26:45 AM »
Another bag to textile recycling, including some reusable masks that have worn so much that they're essentially unusable. A small bag of outgrown clothes ready to go for the kids' smaller cousins.

A few too-worn-to-give-away kids puzzles put in recycling.

Recently did a sweep through the linen closet and condensed down toiletries and medicines to get a sense of what we have and make sure we used that down.

Looking to clean out the fridge with some leftovers for lunch - YAY! :)

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #5703 on: March 15, 2022, 07:58:57 AM »
I take any tea, sweets, biscuits that I'm not too keen on to work. It will keep me from snacking too much, but it's there if I need a pick-me-up, and any tea is better than the L.pt.n they serve at work.

All my dds' end-of-crafts are donated to a charity in my parents' street. It was started by an artist, and has city funding (they let her use the tiny house for free). She collects bits and pieces for crafts, then has morning and afternoon sessions for anyone who wants a chat, coffee/tea, and do some crafts. Some sessions are private, for instance for mentally vulnerable people, some are open, for instance the children's session on Saturday morning. It works on a pay-it-forward basis, so any craft you finish, she takes a picture and puts on social media, and you are required to be (for instance) kind to your neighbour. Typical example: a group dyed and velted wool, made the velt into roses, went into the city centre, and handed out the roses to anyone shopping with a child, 'in an appreciation of parenthood' :).

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5704 on: March 16, 2022, 12:37:43 PM »
~A decades old top and a coffee mug went into the Goodwill bag
~2 bags of cough drops, 3 magazines, and some cookies were sent home with a neighbor
~Tossed the 2019 phone book
~Organized the kitchen pantry, rotated non-perishables into it from the back pantry, removed things off the back pantry floor, and cleaned said floor
~Asked DH to assist with installing hooks in the back pantry in order to hang up the broom, Swiffers, etc. to neaten things up and get more things off the floor
~Removed dead leaves, etc. from houseplants
~Decluttered about a million dust mites from the living room, bedroom, and picture frames
~Slowly decluttering my email inbox by unsubscribing from email lists almost daily

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5705 on: March 16, 2022, 05:36:12 PM »
I just tossed a bunch of circular needle whose cables were shot.  I had been holding on to them for"just in case" but realized I would buy new needles before I used them.  Tossed, not good enough to donate.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5706 on: March 17, 2022, 08:31:43 AM »
I have a set of circular needles like that.  I finally realized i.ready to toss them, next time they float to the top of my supplies.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5707 on: March 18, 2022, 07:43:26 PM »
Small win, but I have recently come across a few people on FB looking for shopping bags, and since I have a ton I have been giving them away.

De-cluttered under the bathroom sink and threw out some old hair products and nail polish. I kept one red and one pink nail polish as I like to do my toes in the summer. Oddly, I never wear it on my hands.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #5708 on: March 22, 2022, 06:05:56 AM »
Had a little bit of a decluttering breakthrough this weekend.  I used to be somewhat of a book collector.  I collected antique children's books and wanted to get complete sets of the works by my favorite modern authors, etc.  I bought any book at library book sales that caught my eye. 

In the last few years, however, I've fully embraced reading library books on my Kindle.  I actually prefer the Kindle to paper books now (never thought it would happen!) and love the convenience and fantastic selection of my library ebooks. 

This weekend, when unpacking books onto a new bookshelf, suddenly I was far more motivated by the idea of streamlined bookshelves and not returning any excess books to storage in our already-full garage.  I got ruthless in sorting books into the donate box.  All those library book sale finds I still haven't read 8 years later, cheap paperback versions of some of the classics that I'll easily be able to get for free as e-books, etc.  I still have lots of books but I'm getting closer to my new vision of fewer books, all of which I really, really love.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5709 on: March 22, 2022, 07:40:42 AM »
Went through clothes hanging in the closet. Took out about 20 blouses, a couple belts, and some unknown stuff (serape?). Bagged it up and took it to donation site, dropped the bags into the bin, thunk. Gone.

Could have gotten 50 cents to $1 each for them, at flea market, but that would have taken all summer, lol, so better to donate them to someone who can use them, and to have the new space. 

I have one less fence post stored in my basement, since I just used it to replace a rotted one.

Threw out three big cardboard sheets, that used to be in the basement,  that I muddied up in the post project.   

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #5710 on: March 22, 2022, 11:44:31 AM »
Childhood horse show ribbons! I am never going to make a quilt out of them, I have zillions of pictures of me with a cute scruffy pony with a ribbon on his halter, no one wants them at the thrift store, they are at best fabric recycling. Out they go!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5711 on: March 22, 2022, 01:32:11 PM »
Three more dog toys, a pair of pants and a bunch of bags to the thrift store today.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5712 on: March 22, 2022, 02:42:53 PM »
Went through clothes hanging in the closet. Took out about 20 blouses, a couple belts, and some unknown stuff (serape?). Bagged it up and took it to donation site, dropped the bags into the bin, thunk. Gone.

Could have gotten 50 cents to $1 each for them, at flea market, but that would have taken all summer, lol, so better to donate them to someone who can use them, and to have the new space. 

I have one less fence post stored in my basement, since I just used it to replace a rotted one.

Threw out three big cardboard sheets, that used to be in the basement,  that I muddied up in the post project.

Slack, my mental image of you is a male. Yet you're referring to blouses, which indicates women's clothing. Do you have a bunch of women's clothing hanging around that you're not wearing? If so, why? Pull it all out and sell/donate/recycle.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5713 on: March 22, 2022, 05:57:30 PM »
Childhood horse show ribbons! I am never going to make a quilt out of them, I have zillions of pictures of me with a cute scruffy pony with a ribbon on his halter, no one wants them at the thrift store, they are at best fabric recycling. Out they go!

I got the clearest picture of your scruffy pony with a happy kiddo, so proud of the ribbons. It's very impressive to let those go, as I find that usually sentimental childhood items are the hardest.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5714 on: March 22, 2022, 06:15:10 PM »
Turned some fabric scraps into doll clothes for a child who's very keen on their dolls. I used up some thread and notions as well. I enjoyed the sewing and the kiddo enjoys the fruits of my labor. I enjoyed it so much that I have a few more items in mind to use up all those pretty ribbons and cute buttons that I've been 'saving' for something. Their day has arrived!

When I went through my fabric, I found a box of donations that had gotten stacked with a box of crafting items. It's been camouflaged in there for months! (Take away my 'minimalist' badge.) I took two bags of donations to Goodwill last weekend, so I had to start a new bag. Then SO and his son cleaned out their closets and I managed to fill up the bag with their discards.

I also put some items in the bag that had been on Marketplace for over a month with no takers. I removed the listings and let go of the idea of selling them.

Got my taxes done so those papers could be filed and get a task off my to-do list.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5715 on: March 22, 2022, 06:24:24 PM »

Slack, my mental image of you is a male. Yet you're referring to blouses, which indicates women's clothing. Do you have a bunch of women's clothing hanging around that you're not wearing? If so, why? Pull it all out and sell/donate/recycle.

Sibs, yes, I am male. I had a girl friend who lived with me, who died 5 years ago. I didn't want to sound maudlin by mentioning that the blouses were hers. I still have a lot of her clothes and other items around. I'm getting rid of them at my own pace. Thanks for asking.       

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5716 on: March 22, 2022, 08:44:04 PM »

Sibs, yes, I am male. I had a girl friend who lived with me, who died 5 years ago. I didn't want to sound maudlin by mentioning that the blouses were hers. I still have a lot of her clothes and other items around. I'm getting rid of them at my own pace. Thanks for asking.     

Ah. That makes sense, and I had forgotten about your girlfriend.

If I may make a suggestion - look into some of the convert clothing into other objects possibilities. People make quilts out of their old tshirts for example, or stuffed animals. That way something that you have an attachment to yet no practical use for may become something that you could incorporate into your daily life.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5717 on: March 22, 2022, 10:43:40 PM »
Had a little bit of a decluttering breakthrough this weekend.  I used to be somewhat of a book collector.  I collected antique children's books and wanted to get complete sets of the works by my favorite modern authors, etc.  I bought any book at library book sales that caught my eye. 

In the last few years, however, I've fully embraced reading library books on my Kindle.  I actually prefer the Kindle to paper books now (never thought it would happen!) and love the convenience and fantastic selection of my library ebooks. 

This weekend, when unpacking books onto a new bookshelf, suddenly I was far more motivated by the idea of streamlined bookshelves and not returning any excess books to storage in our already-full garage.  I got ruthless in sorting books into the donate box.  All those library book sale finds I still haven't read 8 years later, cheap paperback versions of some of the classics that I'll easily be able to get for free as e-books, etc.  I still have lots of books but I'm getting closer to my new vision of fewer books, all of which I really, really love.

@SquashingDebt that's great!

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #5718 on: March 23, 2022, 07:27:43 AM »

I got the clearest picture of your scruffy pony with a happy kiddo, so proud of the ribbons. It's very impressive to let those go, as I find that usually sentimental childhood items are the hardest.

It has taken many years but as my older relatives have dumped more family stuff on me that they don't want but feel bad about discarding I have gotten more pragmatic. I am never going to do anything with them, they will keep taking up most of a banker's box in my little house until I move to a care facility or die, and then they will be tossed by a stranger in all likelihood. It will inspire me to get a nice copy of one of those pictures and put it somewhere I can enjoy it.

I am also sending my late uncle's ww2 materials that just came in the house to the national ww2 museum. I am not an appropriate custodian for historic materials, and if they are in a big box of old papers they too will get tossed. I can transcribe and scan them for my own interest (war in the pacific: bad for teens!) and the real historians can keep the letters and photos.

My estate will go into trust for my special needs child in all likelihood, and I want everything to be as easy as possible for them and the custodians, because no matter what it will be tough.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5719 on: March 23, 2022, 08:31:25 AM »
I've been in a major decluttering rut, & had no progress for months. However, I got a bit more motivated over the past few days & made some progress:
On Buy Nothing, gave away the following:
-A ton of lanyards that a friend who was moving (inadvertently?) included in a bag of reffing gear he gave us
-A jacket my son stained the first day of wearing
-Two new soccer practice shirts that my son won't wear (cotton is rough for an extended practice)
-A jacket that was part of a gift for a trip to Yosemite, but is ridiculously big on me
-A blouse I pulled out of my closet that I never wear, but is beautiful, & in lovely shape.

I also listed an item on eBay, & put a few items in the donation bin. I recycle what I could of an expired & damaged bike helmet, and tossed the rest. Progress!

I recycled some boxes that were lingering in my closet, had the boys try on their suits for an upcoming wedding (they fit, so now I can get rid of the giant boxes, & hang them in their closets), returned two dresses I purchased & didn't like.

Now, I need to get to the sporting goods store that recycles old shoes. I've been collecting cleats, running shoes & the like.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #5720 on: March 23, 2022, 09:06:24 AM »
I went through my canning stuff and came to the conclusion,  I just didn't need that many mason jars. Posted on Buy Nothing app yesterday and gone today! Next up, the craft items need to be gone through and some clothes need to be donated.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5721 on: March 24, 2022, 10:17:11 AM »
Had some carbonated fruit juice in single serve cans that I didn't care for. Put it on my porch railing next to a hight traffic walkway, with a Free sign, about a week ago. Last night, I noticed the last one was finally gone! Woo!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5722 on: March 24, 2022, 05:34:43 PM »
A pair of leggings and a sweater in the donate bag. The leggings are too big and kept twisting. The sweater isn't flattering. I've washed them both and they are in the car to go with the next dropoff, instead of giving them 'one more chance' of going back in the closet to decide I dislike them another day. Future Me is happy she doesn't have to make a decision.

It's the end of winter here, so I'm forcing myself to go take a hard look at the hangers that are still backward in my closet. S

A pretty gift box and bow went into the bag. I thought I would keep it because iT's So cUTe. Then I thought I'd sell it because it's from a semi-fancy store...they go for $5 online. Not worth the hassle, so into the donate bag it goes.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #5723 on: March 27, 2022, 07:33:28 AM »
I had a fairly successful decluttering week. We’ve decided that 2 kids is the right number for us, so all of my maternity clothes went to Goodwill & all of my tiny baby clothes went to friends expecting their first babies. All of my old underpants went into the trash. Thank goodness :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5724 on: March 27, 2022, 05:11:09 PM »
3 bags of garden soil out of my garage and to my parent's house. I don't even remember why I had them, but I do not need and they can use them.

Bag of cat food in the car to be dropped at the shelter tomorrow. Cats are weird.

Currently am junking up the garage with stuff that will be used in the yard once it warms up enough. Though I'm hoping this is the last round of mulch because the lilies are getting thick enough to crowd out the weeds on their own (along the alley, I want it to look semi decent and be low maintenance).

Book in the go away box, a top in the box, and once I finish laundry there's a few more things.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5725 on: March 27, 2022, 10:46:01 PM »
@okisok ill-fitting leggings are the worst! You end up adjusting and re-adjusting them all day.

Gave a friend a pair of fingerless mitts that just didn't fit well.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5726 on: March 28, 2022, 04:50:20 AM »
I actually had some capacity for decluttering this weekend.   The wheelie bins are full.  Bathroom vanities have never been so tidy and organized.

Seed boxes are a picture of joy.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5727 on: March 28, 2022, 05:16:37 PM »
Spent four hours on Sunday in the back room where I'd dumped all the random stuff since I moved in late last year. It's supposed to be an office/sewing room, but it was cold and dark and out of mind.

I rearranged and decluttered some things I didn't realize I had. Floor length apron, grill cover, spice rack, craft organizer.
Another bag in the car for donations. Emptied some containers and threw away/recycled some damaged storage bins and lots of little pieces. I've sent DP the part that I need to finish a project and he has one. Decluttering unfinished projects are a huge stumbling block of mine.

I finally hung up some curtains and put the bin of holiday decor in the attic. I'd been putting it off storing the bin for months because I'd have to move the car out of the garage and deal with the wonky attic door (cue tiny violins). It took a total of two minutes, including moving the car back. Good grief. I've spent way more than two minutes thinking about how I need to do it. Dana K. White's YouTube channel had helped me a lot with this kind of thing. She has a whole series on decluttering without making a bigger mess and how to keep ADHD on track. They are very helpful. I find myself repeating her while I work. "Where would I look for this? That's where I will take it *right now*."

Another trick for keeping on track is to write the things I want to accomplish on the refrigerator door in dry erase marker. It is very satisfying to swipe a finger across the finished items. I ran an errand on my way home from work today specifically to be able to pointedly smear that ink line! 

Filled up one bin with yard waste for regular collection tomorrow. I looked up bulky trash day and wrote it on the calendar. I'm having people over this weekend so I'm trying to look at the house through fresh eyes and deal with things I have stopped seeing. Now I'm off to hang the hammock as both a chore and a reward for after the chores are done!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5728 on: April 01, 2022, 07:05:47 AM »
Took a garbage bag full of Walmart shopping bags to the food bank. I have been getting curbside grocery pickup since the start of the pandemic so I had accumulated an insane amount of bags.

Sold two chairs yesterday that I wasn't using.

Took a bag of clothes and a box of random stuff to the thrift store.

I am moving in May so I need to keep de-cluttering before that. I will probably have one of my free garage sales in a couple of weeks where I put stuff out on the lawn and people come and help themselves.

ETA: Went through my "wishful thinking" bin in my closet and was able to let go of some things. Found five pairs of jeans that had never been worn, so I listed those on FB Marketplace. Put some other things in the donate bag.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 12:48:36 PM by Prairie Gal »

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #5729 on: April 02, 2022, 08:52:32 AM »
Rounded up 3 books, a boardgame, some not wanted gifts, crafting items, and a few clothes. Gave them to a friend who was having a yard sale today. Out of the house!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5730 on: April 02, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »
I started switching out winter clothes for summer. One dress and one sweater in the donate bag. One shirt in the trash after realizing it was full of tiny holes. One pair of fuzzy socks into the rag bag.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5731 on: April 03, 2022, 12:37:45 PM »
quoting OKISOK :  "  I'm having people over this weekend so I'm trying to look at the house through fresh eyes and deal with things I have stopped seeing.  "

The light from the kitchen windows yesterday was just right for seeing all the cooking splashes on the wallpaper.  I was in the mood for it, so I used a clean wet rag to wipe off about 20 different spots on the walls (where on earth did it all come from?).

I haven't noticed them for years, apparently. Good for another 5 years now, ha ha. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5732 on: April 06, 2022, 08:34:24 AM »
Found some old magazines in the basement and put them in the recycling bag. Not even going to bother to see if they are 'valuable' on Ebay. Don't care.

Also the toaster stopped working. Recycled it yesterday at the metal recycling place. They were happy to get it.

Looked at new toasters at Walmart. I could get a new oner for $10 there, but for now I am making toast, the few times I want it, in a pan on the stovetop! Set on medium. You have to flip it over which is a pain, but it makes toast just as good as a toaster.

Enjoying the new open space on the kitchen counter.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5733 on: April 06, 2022, 09:14:46 AM »
Put a box of stuff (mainly kitchen items and children's toys) that I decluttered on the BuyNothing group. A lady came to pick it up, gave me a bunch of cookies for it (YUM!!!) and she will sell the stuff on the flea market (asked me whether I was OK with that..... no worries, I'm happy that the box left the house!). Happy for her to make some money out of it!
Already sold 2 pairs of shoes that were never worn by DS (bought them for school sports, then COVID, then too small....).

Need to work on the summer clothing (still.....). However, it is so cold and rainy here, that I'm not in the mood.....

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5734 on: April 06, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »
Lots of stuff going out the door in the past few days as I prepare to move. I have a long possession date so I am able to go through things and release them as I go. It's not easy though. I keep thing that I might need something or use it in the future.

Yesterday I sold a small cabinet that I used in my closet for extra storage. I probably priced it too low as I had tons of enquiries, but at least it sold right away and was gone in under an hour. One less thing to move. Listed a few more things and if they don't sell they will get donated.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5735 on: April 06, 2022, 01:39:47 PM »
Ah, tea. My old nemesis (or something). I have some flavored tea I'm very "meh" on. Thanks for the reminder okisok and Fresh Bread . I will make an effort over the next few weeks to use it up. Today would have been a good day for a cup in the afternoon, too! Ah well.

One of two boxes of meh tea gone!

Also two car loads of empty boxes and packing material to a friend over the last two weeks. The garage is now useful for storing garage things, like bikes and cars! Woo!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5736 on: April 06, 2022, 02:26:13 PM »
My friend was looking for a more professional work bag and I was able to give her two - one black, one tan. Both are nice bags and I don't use them, it feels good to have them go to someone who will.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5737 on: April 06, 2022, 02:28:57 PM »
Organizing a bookshelf--found 6-8 books that I won't read again or haven't been inspired to start. Will donate to the library book sale :)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5738 on: April 07, 2022, 09:18:05 PM »
Finished an audio book I got from a neighborhood library when I dropped off some books. I walked it right down to a different library to make sure it didn't get mixed in with my 'keep' books and to keep the circle of free books going.

Got a pair of capri pants out of storage. Turns out they look horrible on me, when I swear they looked fine last summer. They went straight into the donate bag. Today I bought a pair of jeans that fits perfectly and are more versatile than the capri pants.

Continuing to use up craft & sewing supplies.

Sent some of the tea stash to a friend who likes that flavor. Used up some of the stationery stash to mail it in.

On a semi-related note, the same friend came over to my house and commented on how bright and open it was, how there was no clutter. Her house is layered and full of pictures, tchotchkes, and decor. On her way out, she mentioned that she was going to pare down her decor and go to just a few pictures and take down a set of shelves. She was inspired by my lack of clutter--the clearing out is working!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 09:19:51 PM by okisok »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5739 on: April 07, 2022, 10:51:34 PM »
@okisok that must have been so affirming, to inspire your friend!!

Got three bottles of old meds dropped off at the pharmacy today. So glad I remembered to take them along with me to the hospital complex where I had a routine appt today. And glad I didn't get them there, but then leave them in the car. Woo!

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #5740 on: April 08, 2022, 08:01:53 AM »
My friend was looking for a more professional work bag and I was able to give her two - one black, one tan. Both are nice bags and I don't use them, it feels good to have them go to someone who will.

Ooh this is a message to me to buynothing the quite nice work bag that needs a minor repair I have not gotten to for over a year. I don't and won't use it again (replaced with something lighter and more functional if less fancy), and that's why I haven't taken it to be fixed.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #5741 on: April 08, 2022, 12:32:46 PM »
Junk day is tomorrow! I am looking forward to hauling a pile of yard related junk that doesn’t fit in the can down to our transfer station tomorrow, and killing two birds with one stone: cleaning our yard up for the season, and getting rid of junk I don’t need!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5742 on: April 08, 2022, 02:34:39 PM »

Ooh this is a message to me to buynothing the quite nice work bag that needs a minor repair I have not gotten to for over a year. I don't and won't use it again (replaced with something lighter and more functional if less fancy), and that's why I haven't taken it to be fixed.
Yup! Let it go to someone who will love and use it is my new motto. I've been doing the wardrobe changeover and any of my winter kit that I *know* I won't really use is going into a donation pile so someone has the chance to get them in time for the colder weather.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5743 on: April 08, 2022, 05:09:08 PM »
@oneday It felt so great! It affirmed my choices and might help her out.

Great reminder on here! I appreciate the motivation and reminders that come from posting and reading.

Cleaned out my work bag. Threw away some gifted lip balm (lip balm isn't supposed to burn, right??) that I've toted around for months even though I don't like it, plus the other assorted flotsam that ends up in a daily bag. Receipts were tossed or filed.

We installed a new medicine cabinet in the bathroom and I took the chance to go through the bathroom items. I've been keeping up with the decluttering, so there was nothing in there we don't use and nothing was expired!

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5744 on: April 09, 2022, 05:55:17 PM »
Finished purging our attic last week.  It took two days over two weekends.  First weekend we purged 30 large heavy duty bags...half trash half to Goodwill.   We probably are down to 10% of what was previously in the attic, so 90% is GONE!

Today, we purged our master bedroom.  Only 3 large bags to Goodwill, one full bag to the trash, and sold the full BR set on FB Marketplace for $600.  We are moving in June and the BR set was 20 years old.  Buyers didn't want the mattress so we kept it until the new one comes in.  I'm positive I can get $100 for it...it still sleeps well but again, is 20 years old.  We got a good sale on what we think is equivalent/identical to Nectar.  King Nectar sells for $1200.... our local Mattress Firm had a bed in box on sale $500 off, so $700. It really feels the same as the Nectar mattress we are currently sleeping on at our home way from home(traveling healthcare workers).  I think that's a pretty good deal.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5745 on: April 09, 2022, 06:08:43 PM »
We found a box of goodies in the basement that my SO didn't even remember (his Italian/English mother had sent some things years ago...). He wasn't attached to any of it but I kept the fancy glasses/decanter for glamorous evenings but washed a crocheted blanket and donated it.
Also put two teacups & saucers (bone china) on the local buy nothing group and a woman was delighted to pick them up for her daughter who wanted pretty cups for a fancy tea party.. So fun!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5746 on: April 10, 2022, 06:29:09 PM »
I've mostly been working outside the house in my decluttering. I'm part way though clearing out one of my sheds known as the goat-shed. It feels a lot better even though its only half done. Not much to donate, just a combination of rubbish - thrown out or relocated in preparation for a council cleanup - and other items that needed to be put away.

I had quite a few pots cluttering up the yard, mainly because they didn't have a home. So I found them one and have moved quite a few from one spot and its looking a bit tidier.

We also had a lot of scrap metal, so I organised a skip and it was filled and removed. However its not all gone...we will need another one.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5747 on: April 10, 2022, 09:26:45 PM »
Sold one little side table on the weekend and listed another one. Trying to figure out what I will have room for in the new place, and what has to go.

I have to try to get rid of my treadmill, and it is a beast. That might be a tough sell.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5748 on: April 11, 2022, 11:03:32 AM »
Went to my first flea market of the year, to sell some stuff.

Main accomplishment was selling a case of canning jars that no one had seemed interested in at all last year.  Sooo glad to be rid of them.  Sold about 10 other small items also.

Day after the flea market, I donated 5 kids games and some kid clothing that no one was buying at the flea market all of last year, plus this year.  Got rid of about one cubic foot with the games. 

Still holding firm on not replacing the toaster I recycled last week. Enjoying the space on my countertop.   

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5749 on: April 11, 2022, 04:25:09 PM »
I remember there was an outcry of sorrow when I revealed I didn't have a toaster once :D