Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1269930 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #5350 on: August 15, 2021, 11:54:46 PM »
But friend found a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for $7.50 in a thrift shop & gave that to me. It was not meant to be an exchange for the yarn (I am to make her cookies), but it kind of feels like it now!
WHAT BLESSED LUCK IS THIS???

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #5351 on: August 16, 2021, 12:17:49 AM »
But friend found a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for $7.50 in a thrift shop & gave that to me. It was not meant to be an exchange for the yarn (I am to make her cookies), but it kind of feels like it now!
WHAT BLESSED LUCK IS THIS???

I know, right?!?!?!?! It was even half off the normal price of $15. She says she sees them all the time. Although she is a recreational shopper, and spends far more time in those shops than most others, so her "all the time" is not really a typical experience.

It just occurs to me that neither of us have tried to turn it on. Tomorrow.

The shine/finish seems to be worn off the upper body (but not the paint), so it may be harder to keep clean. Maybe someone used abrasive on it. Well, that just means quick wipe ups immediately after every use. I can do that. It could be the reason it was disposed of...too hard to keep clean. It came from a very posh town's thrift store. The type of place where people would get rid of a all expensive appliances that didn't match their newly remodeled kitchen, and replacement would just be thought of as part of the cost of the remodel, if it was thought of at all.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5352 on: August 16, 2021, 10:27:27 AM »
-Gave away a pair of outgrown soccer cleats in BN. Happy to keep them back in circulation, as my son outgrew them after a month
-Listed soccer shinguard sleeves on eBay. My kids won't wear the sleeves, and I've successfully sold them before.

I'm working on my next pile of things to give away on Buy Nothing. As mentioned above, for smaller items, I find I get a lot more interest/traction when giving away a bunch of small things, as people are more likely to take 2-3, and it's worth the drive to pick up. Or, I offer garden goodies with each. ;-)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5353 on: August 16, 2021, 12:39:09 PM »
~6 cups of shredded zucchini went to a friend
~I finally used up a bottle of conditioner
~Some reading material was tossed
~Threw away a lip balm responsible for burning the crap out of my lips

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5354 on: August 16, 2021, 04:21:25 PM »
I went through my 14 y.o.'s dresser when he was at school today, and got rid of so much! I don't know how he hides this stuff. The dresser is now actually usable, and I have a stack of things to pass on via Buy Nothing, some stuff to donate, and a large stash of things to recycle/toss. Woohoo! I'm guessing 20+ items out of the dresser.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #5355 on: August 17, 2021, 08:09:36 PM »
Had an extra mattress from combining households with my partner.  Got a friend from work to take it!  No landfill/waste and now he has a 6 month old mattress and a foundation instead of a very old futon mattress on the floor.

Also took my very old couch to the dump this week.  I'm really enjoying my partner's fancy couch that reclines, etc.  Glad I stuck it out with my old couch this long, so we didn't have to get rid of a new-ish couch too, along with the new-ish mattress.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5356 on: August 17, 2021, 09:43:03 PM »
Today I took 4 books to the street library (2 of mine, 2 of Ofpym's) and when I got back, I found 6 more that I am now ready to let go of plus another 2 that I want to re-read before releasing them.
6 books now moved to their new homes
1 jar of gifted jam consumed
1 sewing pattern moved to the donation pile

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5357 on: August 19, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »
Big box of the odd school supplies that used to always crop up on the kid's list and then never get used (looking at you, weird triangle ruler with a set of markings not on the most common ones, still in the original packaging). She's 22 now! Also sealed ink cartridges for a dead printer, both disposed of on freecycle. Now I too need to find someone to give 30 serranos to, I have enough pickled for a year of taco tuesdays and a quart bag full in the freezer... they love this hot summer.

@rockeTree - I have your serrano problem, probably times 5x. Do you by chance have a pickled serrano recipe? I tried a jalapeno recipe & they were insanely spicy.

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #5358 on: August 19, 2021, 11:40:15 AM »
I was referring to your post above with the thirty, I actually may have more than that (but not 5x!). I use a jalapeño recipe but with some carrot slices and shallots to even out the heat a little. Every now and again a jar will still be real intense but usually it's fine.

I *think* I started with this recipe and have tweaked it over the years, mostly by making the vinegar half cider and half white and by cutting the sugar a little. https://www.kqed.org/bayareabites/50384/local-experts-dish-on-the-art-of-pickled-peppers

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5359 on: August 19, 2021, 11:42:08 AM »
I was referring to your post above with the thirty, I actually may have more than that (but not 5x!). I use a jalapeño recipe but with some carrot slices and shallots to even out the heat a little. Every now and again a jar will still be real intense but usually it's fine.

I *think* I started with this recipe and have tweaked it over the years, mostly by making the vinegar half cider and half white and by cutting the sugar a little. https://www.kqed.org/bayareabites/50384/local-experts-dish-on-the-art-of-pickled-peppers

Awesome! I will give that a try. Thanks.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5360 on: August 21, 2021, 04:24:16 PM »
Had the kids go through our two "sports equipment" bins in the garage. Got rid of the broken down container, tossed a bunch of old junk, gave away two skateboards, listed one for sale. Listed another bunch of items on Buy Nothing. The area looks so nice & tidy now.

And, my husband put up our outdoor lights, which have been in boxes in the garage since our house painting project last summer. No more loose wires, and stuff out of the garage!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5361 on: August 22, 2021, 05:41:17 AM »
I just sold a spinning wheel - living in an apartment I just don't have the space for 4.  Now I am down to 3.  The sale of this one covers the cost of #4, which is a wheel I love to use.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5362 on: August 22, 2021, 09:07:17 AM »
Went through our bathroom drawers, and got rid of a few old combs/brushes leftover from hotel toiletries. Every time I think there's nothing left to get rid of, I find more stuff.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5363 on: August 22, 2021, 03:14:58 PM »
And, my husband put up our outdoor lights, which have been in boxes in the garage since our house painting project last summer. No more loose wires, and stuff out of the garage!

I love it when that happens!  We have too many uninstalled projects in storage as well.
I posted some children's toys on Buy Nothing but our local BN group is too fussy... people only claim items in almost-new condition. I'll post them on Craigslist free section and I bet they'll be snapped up immediately.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5364 on: August 22, 2021, 03:24:35 PM »
@Poundwise - yeah, I couldn't give away the frisbee, new baseball or football. Agree, people are picky about certain things. I was hoping that by grouping them, I'd have more luck.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5365 on: August 22, 2021, 06:57:01 PM »
@rockeTree - I made 8 batches of pickled Serranos today, using this recipe. https://www.aforkstale.com/pickled-hot-peppers/

The best part was that there was lots of pickling liquid left over, so my husband added a ton of veggies to the leftover pickling "brine". Into the pot went broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green onions, & a bunch of other stuff I lost track of. I like the double efficiency of this recipe. So far, the Serranos seem manageable & have heat, but are not crazy spicy.

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #5366 on: August 23, 2021, 06:01:32 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache ooh I will try those next. Just fobbed a bunch of fresh peppers off on a neighbor but more are on the way!

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #5367 on: August 23, 2021, 09:56:19 AM »
Just took a BIG bag of (already secondhand) clothing to our local children’s consignment store. This way hopefully I can build up some credit to spend as my kids get bigger *and* their closet is much less crowded. Wins all around.

This weekend we used up some scrap wood to build a rack for the rakes / shovels / brooms as well as mount a new (to us) light fixture. I’m thrilled to have the better organization. Next project is to epoxy the garage floor, which will hopefully cut down on future cleaning & cement repair needs.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5368 on: August 23, 2021, 10:05:38 AM »
The 9x13 ft rug that was rolled the long way (why?!?) and was sitting in my living room is gone, taken to parent's new house. It's nice to be able to walk across the living room again.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5369 on: August 23, 2021, 12:10:53 PM »
A neighbor two blocks away had some used split rail fence railings out on the sidewalk  with free sign. 

Agonized a bit, then decided to take 2 of the 9 footers, since they don't sell those at the box stores. (Just 11 footers at the box stores).  I could have taken more, but just two felt about right.

I would just have to pay a fence company big bucks for some custom cut 9 footers, so I avoided that cost.

Will be needing some 9 foot rails soon, probably, with current ones weathering away to nothing.

In other news,  recycled a big 1980's  computer tech manual, and donated the binder.  Both gone.   

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5370 on: August 23, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »
I just sold a spinning wheel - living in an apartment I just don't have the space for 4.  Now I am down to 3.  The sale of this one covers the cost of #4, which is a wheel I love to use.

I sold my Mom's antique spinning wheel for $45 on Craigslist a few years ago, when she was moving.

I had zero responses to the ad for weeks, then a lady showed up out of nowhere and was ecstatic to get it.     

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5371 on: August 23, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »
@Poundwise - yeah, I couldn't give away the frisbee, new baseball or football. Agree, people are picky about certain things. I was hoping that by grouping them, I'd have more luck.

Maybe post in a parents' group on FB?  I'm surprised at the things people will pass by.

I sneakily left some laundered hand towels in good condition at my brother's weekend house. Was that wrong? He's low on towels anyway and he will never notice if he has a couple more. 

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #5372 on: August 24, 2021, 08:06:28 PM »
We’re having our basement completely remodeled in September and really need to continue to clear out anything we don’t actually use. I’d made some good progress in other spots down there but tonight I finally went through the closet under the basement stairs - the usual dumping ground for anything home improvement project related - and culled a bunch of stuff. I recycled extraneous packaging and anything else recyclable, threw out hardened tubes of adhesive etc., consolidated like things, and moved all of the sports equipment to the garage. I’ll organize that tomorrow :)

My husband is getting ready to epoxy the garage floor this week and that’s been a great excuse to carefully review what’s in the garage and decide what to keep and what to get rid of. There’s an old broken desk out there from the previous homeowners as well as a (very heavy) pile of shingles which will all get hauled to the curb this week for trash pickup. We also just picked up some reusable bins with lids for the things we want to keep and can therefore recycle our ragtag assortment of slowly rotting cardboard boxes. I’m aiming to only keep items which we actually use on a regular basis. No point in moving anything else back in once the floor is done.

I’m so glad we’re doing all of this, even though it is a lot of work. Organization makes me a much happier and calmer person.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5373 on: August 24, 2021, 08:50:36 PM »
We’re having our basement completely remodeled in September and really need to continue to clear out anything we don’t actually use. I’d made some good progress in other spots down there but tonight I finally went through the closet under the basement stairs - the usual dumping ground for anything home improvement project related - and culled a bunch of stuff. I recycled extraneous packaging and anything else recyclable, threw out hardened tubes of adhesive etc., consolidated like things, and moved all of the sports equipment to the garage. I’ll organize that tomorrow :)

My husband is getting ready to epoxy the garage floor this week and that’s been a great excuse to carefully review what’s in the garage and decide what to keep and what to get rid of. There’s an old broken desk out there from the previous homeowners as well as a (very heavy) pile of shingles which will all get hauled to the curb this week for trash pickup. We also just picked up some reusable bins with lids for the things we want to keep and can therefore recycle our ragtag assortment of slowly rotting cardboard boxes. I’m aiming to only keep items which we actually use on a regular basis. No point in moving anything else back in once the floor is done.

I’m so glad we’re doing all of this, even though it is a lot of work. Organization makes me a much happier and calmer person.

@YellowCat , if any of the building stuff (like the shingles) is still usable, try posting on Craigslist for free. I was able to empty my parents' garage and shed entirely that way and people were especially happy for even old or partially used building and cleaning supplies.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #5374 on: August 25, 2021, 04:54:51 AM »

@YellowCat , if any of the building stuff (like the shingles) is still usable, try posting on Craigslist for free. I was able to empty my parents' garage and shed entirely that way and people were especially happy for even old or partially used building and cleaning supplies.

Thanks! Good tip

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5375 on: August 25, 2021, 07:33:03 AM »

I sold my Mom's antique spinning wheel for $45 on Craigslist a few years ago, when she was moving.

I had zero responses to the ad for weeks, then a lady showed up out of nowhere and was ecstatic to get it.     

Was it functional? A working spinning wheel for $45 is amazing.  Mine went for $600, the same wheel new, with tax, before shipping, would be just over $900.   But it was a modern wheel, designed by an engineer for his wife, so has all the goodies, like sealed bearings that never need lubricating.  There is a lot of engineering in a spinning wheel.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5376 on: August 25, 2021, 07:59:08 AM »
On the flip side of this, I just bought a big bag of kid-size plastic food for my pre-school age granddaughters for $4 at the thrift store. 
They are ecstatic and we'll be using it to play "grocery store" or "restaurant" for many months.

So if anyone needs any motivation to continue to re-home your old belongings, please consider how grateful many of us are to get something we can use at a bargain price.  You can revel in having more space, and others can continue to get enjoyment from your discarded items.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5377 on: August 25, 2021, 06:03:12 PM »

Was it functional? A working spinning wheel for $45 is amazing.  Mine went for $600, the same wheel new, with tax, before shipping, would be just over $900.   But it was a modern wheel, designed by an engineer for his wife, so has all the goodies, like sealed bearings that never need lubricating.  There is a lot of engineering in a spinning wheel.

I don't think it  was functional.  Can't remember for sure, but I think it was missing a part.  Late 1800's I think.

I researched prices online, of course, and decided $45 was a fair price. I was just happy there was one person who wanted it at any price, lol.   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5378 on: August 26, 2021, 06:36:37 AM »

I don't think it  was functional.  Can't remember for sure, but I think it was missing a part.  Late 1800's I think.

I researched prices online, of course, and decided $45 was a fair price. I was just happy there was one person who wanted it at any price, lol.

Missing a part, and old, that was probably a good price.  New owner will have to do some work getting (or more likely making) the part, but will appreciate it.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5379 on: August 30, 2021, 03:07:10 PM »
So, does de-cluttering always have to mean stuff went out the door? Or if you found a better place to store something, out of sight, so that the room looks more decluttered is that de-cluttering? In my eyes it is.

Anyway, today I worked on my laundry/storage room. I am slowly working towards getting the house de-cluttered and staged to sell.

- Listed a couple of frames for sale. Put a bunch more that I want to keep for now into a plastic bin and will get DS to take it down to the basement. Put a few small items in the donate box.
- Listed a big wooden thing (an old gate) that I used as a photography back drop. That might be a tough one to sell.
- Found a closet with space for the carpet cleaner.
- Took one big and one small chair out to the garage. The small chair will be put out for give away during Re-use Rendezvous.
- Listed another chair for sale.
- Put some other stuff away out of sight.
- Threw out on old binder of work stuff.

Over all it is looking a lot tidier, and BIGGER! Which is what I wanted.  I still have some work to do in there, but I am pretty happy with my progress today.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5380 on: August 30, 2021, 08:29:53 PM »
Got the 40 year old dining chairs off to Value Village yesterday.  Thank heavens for a hatchback!   I was sort of sorry to see them go - lots of memories made sitting on those chairs around the table.   But not sorry enough to keep them.    Employee at the drop off bins said he expected them to be gone before the end of the day.   Lots of university kids setting up apartments right now, so he said any furniture they get in goes right back out again.

Also boxed up more kitchen things we don't have room for in the new (smaller) house and dropped those off at the same time.   I'm slowly winnowing all my baking things down to just the essentials that I will use regularly.   We don't have space to have things I only use once every few years.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5381 on: August 31, 2021, 10:13:29 AM »
@Prairie Gal - all of that definitely counts!

Sold a couple of things on eBay. Junk out, money in.

I worked at a cleat exchange for our soccer club, which is pretty much exactly what the name implies. However, there were plenty of cleat donations that can't be given back out again (shoes are too damaged). I offered to take those cleats to the local sports store, who recycles them. Even though I was super tired after being in the sun & smoke for hours at the exchange, I headed over to the local store right away & got rid of the cleats. The box was enormous (150+ pair of shoes) & I didn't want to lug it around. It was tempting to put it in the garage to deal with it later, but avoided that temptation!

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #5382 on: August 31, 2021, 12:17:40 PM »
I took a pile of nice, formal work clothes to my local consignment store yesterday. I think work from home is here to stay and after giving birth to not one but two pandemic babies I know I will not want to wear (or likely fit into) those things ever again. Stretchy comfortable clothing FTW :)

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5383 on: August 31, 2021, 01:40:10 PM »
- Saw a social media post asking for donation DVDs for a residential school for local kids with mental health/behavioral issues. Responded that they could have anything we had that met their requirements, and had a volunteer pick up later in the day. More than halved our DVD collection. (Did I mention we haven't had a way to play DVDs in more than a year?)

- Was gifted some frozen cube steaks from family earlier this summer. (They buy half a cow every year and somehow ended up with cuts they don't eat.) Made smothered steak for dinner last night and had a nostalgic trip down memory lane to elementary school cafeteria meals. (Side note: anyone have suggestions for cube steak that's not smothered steak? :)

- Child #1 gets a monthly activity box. (Xmas gift from grandparents.) We've had them collecting, but spent Sunday afternoon working through the activities in one. (Two to go!)

- Cleared out my email (I keep a zero inbox) by working through some required volunteer trainings for an impending youth soccer season. See ya, digital clutter!

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5384 on: August 31, 2021, 03:05:01 PM »
- Saw a social media post asking for donation DVDs for a residential school for local kids with mental health/behavioral issues. Responded that they could have anything we had that met their requirements, and had a volunteer pick up later in the day. More than halved our DVD collection. (Did I mention we haven't had a way to play DVDs in more than a year?)

- Was gifted some frozen cube steaks from family earlier this summer. (They buy half a cow every year and somehow ended up with cuts they don't eat.) Made smothered steak for dinner last night and had a nostalgic trip down memory lane to elementary school cafeteria meals. (Side note: anyone have suggestions for cube steak that's not smothered steak? :)

- Child #1 gets a monthly activity box. (Xmas gift from grandparents.) We've had them collecting, but spent Sunday afternoon working through the activities in one. (Two to go!)

- Cleared out my email (I keep a zero inbox) by working through some required volunteer trainings for an impending youth soccer season. See ya, digital clutter!

Cut it up and use it in beef stew? Budget Bytes has a wonderful beef stew recipe that you can crock pot.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/slow-cooker-rosemary-garlic-beef-stew-slow-cooker/

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5385 on: August 31, 2021, 06:32:53 PM »

Cut it up and use it in beef stew? Budget Bytes has a wonderful beef stew recipe that you can crock pot.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/slow-cooker-rosemary-garlic-beef-stew-slow-cooker/

Stir fry?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5386 on: August 31, 2021, 07:08:31 PM »
We've been delaying grocery shopping and now getting into seeing just what can be made from [random assortment of things] which has definitely helped create more space in the cupboards, fridge and freezer.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5387 on: August 31, 2021, 11:40:15 PM »
One thing I didn't mention in the past when I posted is that I was married to a hoarder and a big part of what precipitated my move toward minimalism was that she left me.  I didn't realize how much I was in grief at the time.  Looking back I can see it more clearly now.  One of the things that let me get through that time was actually clearing out my space and keeping it clear over time. 

I suspect that my ex is still a pretty intense hoarder, and part of my motivation for keeping my house clean, neat and minimalist is I want my daughter to see that there's another way to live than that.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5388 on: September 01, 2021, 08:29:15 AM »
@Tyson - that sounds really hard. Sounds like you are well on your way to create a space that is calming & peaceful in your own home, which is awesome.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5389 on: September 01, 2021, 08:00:12 PM »
Just sold a double stroller on Marketplace for $40. It was probably worth more, but I'm happy to have it out of my garage!

I also donated 5 grocery bags of things (mostly my kids and kids clothes) today, and, over the last week, gave away a baby gate, set of silverware, tray, and balance board. And I shredded/recycled a few folders of paper.

We're moving into a smaller house in less than a month, so it's time to get down to business on getting rid of things!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5390 on: September 02, 2021, 06:11:34 PM »
I decluttered my parents, their 2 cats, and all their stuff today :) (they moved out). This included a full sized mattress and frame.

Also had the movers grab a small end table that doesn't work for what I was hoping it would. There's a bunch of stuff at parent's house that is going to be going on FB marketplace, will include the table in that.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5391 on: September 02, 2021, 08:24:16 PM »
I tossed a remnant piece of foamboard today. I'd been telling myself it would come in handy for something, but then two years passed. One less thing! Those small items are sometimes the stickiest for me to let go.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #5392 on: September 03, 2021, 06:01:13 AM »
A lot of paper debris built up over the summer from crafts, so I've been decluttering one area each day my daughter is in school.  So far I've done the table near the window, our dining room table and my daughter's little table.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5393 on: September 03, 2021, 12:12:54 PM »
Last weekend:
~Egg cartons prepared to go to a friend, and I gave them to her yesterday evening
~Magazines will go to a different friend
~Non-perishable sweets we didn't get to went with DH to his work for his co-worker's kiddos
~A stack of reading material was read and tossed
~Went through personal documents and shredded 3 outdated items

This weekend I hope to spend some time in my home office as it needs straightening up, to finally prepare my first Decluttr (not a typo) CD order, and DH and I are going to finally paint our bedroom.  Wish me luck on the latter, ha ha.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5394 on: September 03, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »
I started packing up my kitchen last night and realized that I inexplicably own 3 roasting pans and 2 Bundt pans. So now I have 2 roasting pans and a Bundt pan in my donate pile.

I also decided to get rid of all my cookbooks, as I haven't looked at any of them in years - I always use online recipes. It felt kind of freeing to get rid of a whole category of things.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5395 on: September 04, 2021, 08:33:05 AM »
Spent a half hour going through a bag of jewelry, separated costume from the 'real' jewelry. Found some non-jewelry stuff in the bag that I threw away or recycled. Will try to sell all the jewelry eventually.   

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5396 on: September 04, 2021, 08:55:20 AM »
I donated 2 bags of malarkey to my favorite charity thrift store at 0815 this morning.  Some of it was junk from the office (old unpopular coffee mugs, decor).  I also returned a pair of shorts that were a gross fabric. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5397 on: September 04, 2021, 11:24:14 AM »
Spent a half hour going through a bag of jewelry, separated costume from the 'real' jewelry. Found some non-jewelry stuff in the bag that I threw away or recycled. Will try to sell all the jewelry eventually.   

If any of that real jewellery is gold, you might be better off selling it for that.  I recently took a tiny amount of stuff to the local jewelers (2 sleeper earrings, a bracelet and the cut off end of another too big bracelet), and got $45 for it.  Gold is crazy high right now.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5398 on: September 05, 2021, 06:24:13 AM »

If any of that real jewellery is gold, you might be better off selling it for that.  I recently took a tiny amount of stuff to the local jewelers (2 sleeper earrings, a bracelet and the cut off end of another too big bracelet), and got $45 for it.  Gold is crazy high right now.

Thanks.  Yes, I definitely sell the gold to jewelry shops or coin stores for the gold value.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 07:44:07 AM by slackmax »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5399 on: September 05, 2021, 07:23:48 AM »
 Sifted through the tub of toiletries in the bathroom, threw some really old, dried lotions out.
Put some small shampoo bottles up in the shower where I'll see it and use it. Also some hair conditioner. Usually
don't use conditioner, but what the heck, let's use it up, right?

While sifting, found a spray bottle, full of white vinegar. So that's where it was! Took it out
and moved it under the kitchen sink which is where it's supposed to be.