Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249234 times)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #400 on: March 29, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
Nederdash, I’m feeling the same way, lol. 25 bags, yum!!!!! zygote, happy for you in your new level of freedom :))

Linda_Norway, way to go!! That was a BIG task. Great to get stuff like that done once and for all.

Decided I'd prefer the guilt of saying goodbye once, to the constant guilt on seeing them in my closet.

Love!!!

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #401 on: March 29, 2018, 10:25:08 AM »
With spring cleaning coming up, I've been decluttering again. Then yesterday I visited a friend, who told me she'd gotten me a gift... apparently, my crestfallen face was not the reaction she'd been expecting! Oops... must control my pokerface. Even before I opened it, I knew it'd be something I didn't want or need... and I was right. Still I thanked her, because it was really sweet of her to think of me.

Don't have the heart to declutter it straight away, so I'll let it sit for now. I don't really get it though, I've always been so vocal about decluttering. Hell, I've even told people for my birthday NOT to get me anything, or if they really want to give a gift, bath products or food. Consumables.

Maybe it's true that people like giving gifts they'd like to receive themselves, instead of what the other person would like?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #402 on: March 29, 2018, 11:00:24 AM »
...a friend, who told me she'd gotten me a gift... apparently, my crestfallen face was not the reaction she'd been expecting! Oops...

lol!!!

I too received a "gift" this week. Hmmmm... I am letting it hang around my house for a week in case the giver asks about it, but then it goes. I'm seeing it as a bid for connection, so am asking them this morning if they have time for a coffee together :)

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: March 29, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »
I didn't count, but a few weeks ago I culled through my swimsuits collection, getting rid of ones from 10-20 years ago.  I still should purge more of them (and go through the rest of my dresser...).  I have a bad habit of holding onto every piece of clothing I've ever bought or been given.

I'm inspired today so I went back into the swimsuits and got rid of 2 more.  Again, one was beloved but worn.  That's a tough one for me toss.  Plus went through my sweaters (removing 2) and in the process donating 2 shirts, though the full shirt purge will need to be another day.

So here's a question for folks: What's the hardest type of item for you to get rid of:
- ill-fitting/ill-suited for purpose (perhaps a size you hope to be again)
- beloved - but worn out/stained/broken etc.
- sentimental - special meaning
- gift
- handmade
- practical (you might want to use later)
- make up your own category and I'll add it if it might apply to a large group

My hardest are beloved (such memories!) followed closely by handmade gifts (oh, the guilt!).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:17:31 AM by Captain FIRE »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #404 on: March 29, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »
What's the hardest type of item for you to get rid of:

Paper -notes and art done by hand, work backups.

Or are we talking only clothes? My clothes I'm very attached to, but it's low volume (maybe 15 shirts/pants/dresses/sweaters/coats combined, and that was after a shopping spree). I have a hard time releasing the clothing category called comfy. I find comfy, multipurpose items tricky to find -plus I don't enjoy clothing shopping- so when I do find them, I tend to continue wearing them for up to 15 years.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »
Hardest thing to get rid of? Absolutely the clothes I loved wearing that are now too small. I am getting better at keeping only a tiny sample of them but it is better for my brainspace if they are out of sight and not reproaching me. Which really, they're inanimate objects that I have externalised my own internal voice onto, so moving them out of my space is one way of getting rid of a prompt to feel bad about myself.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #406 on: March 29, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »
...moving them out of my space is one way of getting rid of a prompt to feel bad about myself.

So beautiful :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #407 on: March 30, 2018, 01:07:51 AM »
Just passed on a fancy blush and a fancy nappy bag, neither of which I was using. Must be almost time to do another sweep for unwanted or unneeded items.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: March 30, 2018, 08:16:48 AM »
What's the hardest type of item for you to get rid of:

Paper -notes and art done by hand, work backups.

Or are we talking only clothes? My clothes I'm very attached to, but it's low volume (maybe 15 shirts/pants/dresses/sweaters/coats combined, and that was after a shopping spree). I have a hard time releasing the clothing category called comfy. I find comfy, multipurpose items tricky to find -plus I don't enjoy clothing shopping- so when I do find them, I tend to continue wearing them for up to 15 years.

Nope, it can be anything, though I was trying to focus less on category of paper/clothes/electronics and more on general emotions they might evoke.  Added a new category of practical and edited to clarify ill-fitting so it's not just clothes oriented.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #409 on: March 30, 2018, 08:28:30 AM »
I would say the hardest thing for me to get rid of is sentimental items, but with a twist. My problem is that I ascribe sentimental value to generic things. A sweater I wore on a particularly interesting vacation or a shirt I wore on a lot of nights out with friends. A practical note my wife left me reminding me of things to do while she was away on a long-ago trip. A junky pot from Ikea that I got when I moved to NYC. These things have all served their function and may or may not still be usable, but I used to be unable to get rid of them.

I think it's related to the fact that I have a terrible memory. All the advice saying "you can get rid of the stuff and just keep the memory!" is useless to me because, often, past events will not come to me without a trigger. The thing that has made the most difference in my ability to declutter is taking pictures of things. I may just be making more digital clutter for myself, but all my pictures are squirreled away in a folder on my computer and they take up much less physical and mental space than the item.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #410 on: March 30, 2018, 08:43:06 AM »
I have the same challenges as Zygote and employed the same picture-taking strategy at first. I don't take pictures anymore. I've found that I'm actually better off letting skme memories -- even good ones -- go.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #411 on: March 30, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
My hard-to-release categories, then, are:

*evidence and work backups
*paper communications from beloveds
*comfy clothes
*things that actively healed me
*my stuffie
*things that create an ambience of softness (warm glow table lamp, kettle, blankets gifted to me, etc)

I don't make myself release those. They spark vigor, joy, strength, clarity so are very welcome to be my few possessions.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #412 on: March 30, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »
Sold a pair of pants for a whopping $5 on eBay. Will be happy to get them out of the house. They are now packaged, and sitting by the door, ready to go

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #413 on: March 30, 2018, 11:24:32 AM »
  Decided I'd prefer the guilt of saying goodbye once, to the constant guilt on seeing them in my closet.

This! This is the mantra for me. My initial closet purge was not to remove clothes, but to remove guilt and bad emotions evoked by certain clothes.

I also put 3 sentimental sweatshirts that are uncomfortably worn out into a "maybe" bag. It's crazy what a difference it makes in my closet. The remaining sweaters and sweatshirts fit just right, with a little breathing room. I'm 95% sure I'm going to get rid of those 3, but I need them out of sight for a bit longer before I can let go.

I've done this too with sentimental clothes. I've been able to discard almost all of it a few months later, or whenever I next come across it. It's amazing how the sentiment fades away once I decide to put it in the "maybe" category. It also works with papers and journals, although the timeframe is years rather than months.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #414 on: March 30, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
I have a mountain of cookbooks on my dining room table and listed them on ebay. I sold three books but have about 20 more. It has been more than a month and I can't take this pile anymore! So, I contacted our Animal Welfare in our town to ask if they have an annual tag sale and they do but it is mostly dog type things they sell. So, then I emailed a local small culinary school that teaches a short course in culinary arts. I am keeping my fingers crossed they will take these book! I can't take this pile on my table anymore!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #415 on: March 30, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
If those won't take them, Roadrunner53, can you drop them off for a library's fundraising book sale or to a thrift shop? (I generally drop everything to the thrift. One stop releasing!)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: March 30, 2018, 02:00:00 PM »
Went outside with the kids and planted some 8 year old vegetable and herb seeds. Will be surprised if any come up, but you never know! And at least the seed kits are not cluttering up any more.

Dropped off some old curtains and toys to collection for church tag sale.

Tried to get rid of an old desk and got stood up by craigslist guy.  So frustrating!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: March 30, 2018, 02:06:42 PM »
I would say the hardest thing for me to get rid of is sentimental items, but with a twist. My problem is that I ascribe sentimental value to generic things. A sweater I wore on a particularly interesting vacation or a shirt I wore on a lot of nights out with friends. A practical note my wife left me reminding me of things to do while she was away on a long-ago trip. A junky pot from Ikea that I got when I moved to NYC. These things have all served their function and may or may not still be usable, but I used to be unable to get rid of them.

I think it's related to the fact that I have a terrible memory. All the advice saying "you can get rid of the stuff and just keep the memory!" is useless to me because, often, past events will not come to me without a trigger. The thing that has made the most difference in my ability to declutter is taking pictures of things. I may just be making more digital clutter for myself, but all my pictures are squirreled away in a folder on my computer and they take up much less physical and mental space than the item.

Same, same, same!

The things I find hardest to get rid of is unfinished craft projects, closely followed by handmade gifts.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
Hardest items -- old down pillows.  Lap quilts (many handmade but falling apart). 

Weird.  I know.  Maybe because I love being warm and cuddly in a cold winter house, or maybe because I know these items just go to fibre recycle / trash and they don't deserve that.   

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #419 on: March 30, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
I didn't count, but a few weeks ago I culled through my swimsuits collection, getting rid of ones from 10-20 years ago.  I still should purge more of them (and go through the rest of my dresser...).  I have a bad habit of holding onto every piece of clothing I've ever bought or been given.

I'm inspired today so I went back into the swimsuits and got rid of 2 more.  Again, one was beloved but worn.  That's a tough one for me toss.  Plus went through my sweaters (removing 2) and in the process donating 2 shirts, though the full shirt purge will need to be another day.

So here's a question for folks: What's the hardest type of item for you to get rid of:
- gift
- handmade
- make up your own category and I'll add it if it might apply to a large group

My hardest are beloved (such memories!) followed closely by handmade gifts (oh, the guilt!).

My two hardest to get rid of are both practical/might want to use later.  Other things I can chuck with abandon, even gifts.  Sentimental items are hard, but nowhere near as hard as these two:

Paper
Odds & ends - a recent example is a block of wood the carpet guys left behind, it's about the size of a new pack of post-its.  I see a lot of potential uses for this guy!  Plus he is so small, he doesn't take up much space.  *Sigh*  He's living on the dining table for now.  If I don't come up with a use for him soon, then I guess I will recycle him.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #420 on: March 30, 2018, 07:11:40 PM »
Today I pressed through to return every single item eligible for a refund (about $40 total). I was determined to arrive home having nothing I don't mean to keep. That included a few "gifts." However, thrift shops were on their Good Friday schedule...so I chucked a handful of stuff into a garbage bin. I can't take eternal responsibility for stuff other people give me.

Nothing left to ditch!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #421 on: March 31, 2018, 12:34:42 AM »
Today I pressed through to return every single item eligible for a refund (about $40 total). ...I can't take eternal responsibility for stuff other people give me.

Nothing left to ditch!

HIGH FIVE! That is awesome stuff!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #422 on: March 31, 2018, 12:52:27 AM »
So I dropped out of the No Clothes Buying Challenge when I realised that this was a way to hate on myself every time I looked in my wardrobe or got dressed and I made a list and replaced everything that was worn out or not fitting or just made me feel frumpy or not like myself. Now I have a well-coordinated minimalist wardrobe full of colours and shapes that I want to wear and make me feel good. Nothing scratchy or drab or fraying. So much less black/grey and more teals/sunshine yellow/terracottas and chocolate brown.

And now we are getting rid of the old. I threw out the bikinis that don't fit, donated three merino jerseys that made me inexplicably HOT and FRUSTRATED every time I wore them. My husband donated 6 pairs of really lovely trousers that his calves are too big for- thanks, cycling!

Yesterday we walked around and dropped off 12 books at the local free libraries and have a pile of ~10 that we will donate once we have read them. Slowly whittling down the obligation books. It feels really freeing.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #423 on: March 31, 2018, 05:19:48 AM »
The culinary school emailed me and will take all the CIA and other cookbooks I have! YIPPIE! They even offered to pick them up! I may take them up on that because parking downtown is a pain in the butt! Not to mention lugging these heavy piles of books!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #424 on: March 31, 2018, 08:43:32 AM »
Oh, excellent, Roadrunner53!!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #425 on: March 31, 2018, 09:19:29 AM »
Yes, one giant pile of clutter almost gone! Next week I hope!

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #426 on: March 31, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
In NYC there are a lot of people who sell old books/CDs/DVDs informally from tables on the street, and my wife had the idea to ask the guy a block away if he wanted some books and DVDs, and he said yes. So now 6 more bags of her stuff are gone. We maybe could have gotten $5 for things here and there, but it is frankly worth it to both of us to not have to deal with it.

I do want to list some clothes on poshmark that have popular labels (I got them all on sale and loved them, but they don't fit anymore). I should get more money back for my effort.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #427 on: March 31, 2018, 08:53:32 PM »
...my wife had the idea to ask the guy a block away if he wanted some books and DVDs, and he said yes.

Smart!! You win via quick release, this entrepreneur wins via a boost to his business. Nice :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: March 31, 2018, 09:09:53 PM »
Cleaning the house after the electrical project, and I'm finally starting to unpack my books (almost a year after I moved in). Found a couple that I don't want anymore. On a whim, I googled one of the books, and realized that it's a first edition. Selling for $100+ online. Ugh, now I can't just donate it. Might just put it back on the shelf for now.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #429 on: March 31, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »
Might just put it back on the shelf for now.

Don't do it!!!! Post online nownow!

Or donate and let someone else enjoy affordably or gain needed income :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #430 on: April 01, 2018, 03:38:29 AM »
I agree with jooniFLORisploo, advertise the book NOW! While it is on your mind, get rid of it and get that $100!

eeho

• Stubble
    • Check out my MMM journal - Stubblefaced-aussie-girl-with-a-five-year-deadline-for-fire!
« Reply #431 on: April 01, 2018, 04:32:38 AM »
Today I bit the bullet and got rid of all of the dead plants out on my balcony (after a miscommunication over watering with my housemate while we were both away in the height of summer!). I'd just been putting it into the too hard basket for AGES. I managed to save a couple and I've set them up inside for some TLC.

Next week's job is to gather some rosemary cuttings from the huge public park to add a bit more green to the space.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #432 on: April 01, 2018, 08:57:42 AM »

- gift
- handmade
- make up your own category and I'll add it if it might apply to a large grout

Practical! I hate to get rid of things I spent money on that may be used in the future but aren’t currently in use. I get over it after a time but don’t like to spend the money again if I have to replace things. Clothes and shoes are the worst - I can get rid of things with little problem until I realize I have to replace them. I will wear shoes until the soles are completely falling off because I hate having to purchase again. I will wear clothes that are too big just so I don’t have to spend money on new ones.

I am quite happy to take photos or scan all my kids artwork and turn into photo albums (I make 100 page photo albums every year with stories and memories of our year). 

I am a pretty serious declutterer and have very little in the way of sentimental items other than photos.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #433 on: April 01, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »
My goal for today is to find 10 items we don't need in the house, and to also look for at least two items to sell. The 10 should be pretty easy. I have kids, and they bring junk home all the time. ;-) I've sold pretty much anything I can think of already, so that will be trickier.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: April 01, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »
I have kids, and they bring junk home all the time. ;-)

Hey, wow, I just realized that's finally not an issue for us! Years and years of him bringing home all that crap from school, plus every stick and sparkling doodad he found, plus the schwag from marketers at community events. Ugh. Now he only brings in stuff he's saved up to buy! Whew. That was a long journey.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #435 on: April 01, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »
My goal for today is to find 10 items we don't need in the house, and to also look for at least two items to sell. The 10 should be pretty easy. I have kids, and they bring junk home all the time. ;-) I've sold pretty much anything I can think of already, so that will be trickier.

Wow - that did not take long! Found 12 items to donate (soccer jerseys, football jersey, 3 pair of outgrown shorts, a bracelet) &, more surprisingly, quickly found 4 items to sell! Yes!!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #436 on: April 01, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »
I have kids, and they bring junk home all the time. ;-)

Hey, wow, I just realized that's finally not an issue for us! Years and years of him bringing home all that crap from school, plus every stick and sparkling doodad he found, plus the schwag from marketers at community events. Ugh. Now he only brings in stuff he's saved up to buy! Whew. That was a long journey.

It's true - there is a constant influx of papers, garbage, plastic toys from parties, etc. It's hard to stay on top of it all!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #437 on: April 01, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »
Wow - that did not take long! Found 12 items to donate...

Well done!!!

It's true - there is a constant influx of papers, garbage, plastic toys from parties, etc. It's hard to stay on top of it all!

We had therapy appts over it! So the counsellor could get what I was talking about, I brought just one full-size garbage bag to one appt, with things from his bedroom door forward. He was saving literal garbage, every broken this and that...   The work on this was 2-3 years all told. Now he has no trouble releasing excess, declining crap, etc. I'm curious which approach will be the case in his adulthood. I know some people feel much comfier surrounded by stuff and with physical mementos. At the same time, I feel like spaces are ideal when we can walk through them easily, sit on furniture, reduce fire risks...

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #438 on: April 01, 2018, 10:58:43 AM »
I know some people feel much comfier surrounded by stuff and with physical mementos. At the same time, I feel like spaces are ideal when we can walk through them easily, sit on furniture, reduce fire risks...

This is me and my wife personified, haha. She feels weird if she's not surrounded by stuff, but I want to be able to walk through the apartment and sit on all furniture. I think our compromise goal is going to be all surfaces clear, but all storage areas stuffed with stuff so the apartment still feels full and cozy. I would be happy with that.

Last night we deep cleaned the bathroom (wild Saturday!). I know it's not decluttering, but prior decluttering made the job a lot easier. We had gotten rid of a lot of expired stuff and put the remaining bottles on a new, cheap laundry cart (they used to sit on the floor because there wasn't any storage). Much easier to just move the cart to clean the floor, and no gunk building up around the bottles since they're elevated.

It felt like a big milestone to me, because a lot of the reason I want surfaces clear is to make it easier to dust, scrub, vaccum, etc. and keep the apartment feeling clean, not just decluttered.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #439 on: April 01, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »
I think our compromise goal is going to be all surfaces clear, but all storage areas stuffed with stuff so the apartment still feels full and cozy. I would be happy with that.

That sounds like a great option.

I had a big experience of this with a boyfriend. Months after I'd moved out, I visited his place. It was cluttered, messy, and dirty, with everything set up to play online 24/7 without having to move. Like, kinda extreme.

However, my takeaway was a total epiphany about how much he'd loved me and really worked to make us go! He had made a LOT of compromise in that area. I wasn't aware of it at the time.

Shortly after, he married someone with the same preferences and ways as him and was so happy to immerse in [what was in their case] squalor. Noted! I'm glad he didn't have to live with my preferences ongoing :(

It also made me more sensitive to the preference for "surrounded", including in my kid, etc.

It felt like a big milestone to me, because a lot of the reason I want surfaces clear is to make it easier to dust, scrub, vaccum, etc. and keep the apartment feeling clean, not just decluttered.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up in a lovely, clean home that had lots of clutter. I perpetually dreamed of minimalism, in part so cleaning was easy. I have that now. So happy for you, zygote!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #440 on: April 02, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »
I was sick last week, and when I start feeling better I generally clean/organize like a fiend.  My family knows to just stay out of the way for a few days.

I started with the medicine cabinet, and threw away all the medicines that expired in 2016 or earlier.  Most were kid-related OTC stuff.  I took a minute to give thanks that my kids are finally healthy, and we aren't needing this stuff all the time anymore. 

Once the kids go to bed tonight, I'm going to throw away half of the plastic Easter eggs.

At some point this week, we are tackling the Legos.  I expect to give away about half of them.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #441 on: April 02, 2018, 07:48:23 AM »
You might want to check out ebay to see if it might be worthwhile to sell the lego's.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #442 on: April 02, 2018, 07:49:44 AM »
@Roadrunner53 , we already agreed to give the Legos to the library.  They have a weekly "open Lego play" time and have asked for donations.  The kids like the idea that they can still play with their old stuff if they want, and let other kids have fun too.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #443 on: April 02, 2018, 07:53:23 AM »
Good idea! I try to sell what I can on ebay but it is a time sink. Right now I have about 8 items on and it is like a ghost town and nothing is selling!

I have a pile ready for Friday for Vietnam Vets and a giant pile of books to give to the culinary school in my town.

GIVE IT AWAY!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #444 on: April 02, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
I've got a logistics problem. Ideas?

I have 4 (!!) light fixtures I need to put on ebay.
1 first edition book that is apparently worth enough that I need to sell it, so ebay/biblio.
A giant bag of pillows to put on ebay (which probably won't sell, but I need to at least try)

And due to new job schedule, I can't get to the post office during the week. So, how the heck do I put all this stuff on ebay if I can't then ship it out promptly if it sells? This is taking up a lot of space!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #445 on: April 02, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »
Our grocery store takes packages for USPS. 
You could also ship UPS which has stores open evenings.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #446 on: April 02, 2018, 08:30:27 AM »
SO EASY! You can have PO pick up your package at your house! I have done it before and is wonderful!
I put a bag on the doorknob with the package in it. PO would pick up and wa la! No need to leave the house!

https://tools.usps.com/go/ScheduleAPickupAction!input.action

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #447 on: April 02, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
@Sibley PO pick up is a great option if it's available in your area. I don't think it is in mine. Is there a post office near your work where you could drop off the package on a lunch break? There is one a few blocks from my office so that's what I do basically all the time. Worst case you can just go on Saturday and message the buyer to let them know. If it were me I don't think I'd care if it took a week to get my light fixture as long as I knew it was coming.

Yesterday I listed some clothes on Poshmark and Vinted. A lot of people have looked at the listings and some have favorited them, but no bites yet. Anything I don't sell in the next week or two I'll just take to the consignment store and see what I can get. I'd probably make more selling them directly, but it's not worth it to me to put in a bunch of effort optimizing the listings and messing with the price to get them all to sell.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #448 on: April 02, 2018, 09:08:23 AM »
You could also put your ebay stuff on so the end date finishes on a Thursday giving you Friday to pack the thing up and take it to the PO on Saturday.

Do you have a kid who drives or a SO or a friend, neighbor who might do you a favor and take it to the PO?

UPS is another option as someone else mentioned. I can take UPS packages to Staples and drop them off.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #449 on: April 02, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
There is a PO nearish my work, but I can't get to it before they close, so would have to go at lunch. It's 15 minute walk from work. Not sure if there's another one closer, I'll have to look into it.

No kids, friends are busy and I'd rather ask favors on other things! I'm gonna need some help moving furniture soon, which is more important to me.

I'll look into the pick up, but typically I'm also having to buy postage when I take the package in. Other issue is size - these aren't small packages. And I take a train to work.

Overall, the new job is causing all these issues. :( Old job I could get to 2 different POs during the day no problem.