Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 266634 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #2400 on: April 16, 2019, 01:41:26 AM »
I put a pair of work pants in the Vinnies bag this morning.

They haven't been worn in at least three years, and I've lost 10 kilos since then.

They were so laughably big on me that I sent a pic to @marty998, who was incredibly polite in agreeing with me that the big pants make my already-short legs look ridiculously stumpy.

Why have I even kept them this long??? (The pants, that is. The short legs I'm apparently stuck with.)

They looked flared! Or clown size haha.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2401 on: April 16, 2019, 06:59:48 AM »
Why have I even kept them this long??? (The pants, that is. The short legs I'm apparently stuck with.)

If you ever find a way to get longer legs, let us all know.   ;-) 
DD and I are the same height sitting down, she is 3" taller than I am.  Guess who has long legs and who has short legs?  ;-(   It sure does make it difficult to find pants that look good.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2402 on: April 17, 2019, 01:33:37 AM »
Arranged for someone to collect the boots. Was also looking for a particular paper, so I kept each page I came across that was ready for shredding as I was looking and visited the shredder once I found the page I was actually looking for. So much clutter hidden away~!

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2403 on: April 21, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
Decluttered shoes and coats this week - only 1 pair of shoes in the donate bin, I actually don't have that many pairs to spare.  I did clear out a few jackets and fleeces that are duplicate weight or don't fit right.  I'm running out of low-hanging fruit, though.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2404 on: April 21, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
So excited! Our senior center is having a free shredding event for seniors middle of May! I have a ton of stuff collected and one more file box to clean out. A few days before this event there is a Rotary club one and even though it is a charity event, it would cost me $10 a box. I probably would have 10 boxes full. So I am HAPPY I can take my stuff to the free senior event! YAY!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2405 on: April 21, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »
Worked on my closet for a bit this morning. Went through & organized all of my freebie books (from work), so they are nicely stacked. We don't have a bookshelf.

Found two things to donate, several boxes to recycle, and one box that's perfect for eBay mailing. That went into the mailing cupboard. While not much came out, everything is tidied & looks so much better.

I'm trying on my evening/going out dresses sometime today, in anticipation of a reasonably dressy vacation with my mom. Any of the dresses that don't currently fit are going into the donate pile. Many are 10+ years old, and span a variety of kid sizes. No more "saving for a future weight". If they don't fit, they are gone.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2406 on: April 21, 2019, 06:28:20 PM »
Over the weekend I:

- gave away five bottles of wine to family
- gave my nephews their Easter bunnies, getting them out of my house
- gave a pair of irreparable pants to a friend who wanted the fabric for a sewing project

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2407 on: April 21, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Happy Easter
DH this morning was asking me for the egg cups, to serve the hard boiled (coloured) eggs in.

Um... Egg Cups?   I think I donated them about 8 years ago...  And the eggs tpdau were hardboiled, not soft, anyway.  No need for egg cups, especially as you only want them once every other year or less.

I don't think he gets the declutter movement.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2408 on: April 22, 2019, 12:37:14 AM »
Happy Easter
DH this morning was asking me for the egg cups, to serve the hard boiled (coloured) eggs in.

Um... Egg Cups?   I think I donated them about 8 years ago...  And the eggs tpdau were hardboiled, not soft, anyway.  No need for egg cups, especially as you only want them once every other year or less.

I don't think he gets the declutter movement.

Shot glasses make decent egg cups... :D

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #2409 on: April 22, 2019, 01:17:49 AM »
Happy Easter everyone!

I've said it before, but I'm pretty much all decluttered except for 2 categories: books and clothes. With books, I see it as a big waste to get rid of them. I can't even really say why... fellow book hoarders will understand, I guess. It doesn't help that I got most of these books from my parents. I'm the designated book dump. I'm holding on to books simply because they are books... But I also know I absolutely detest translated works when I can read the original work. I have a lot of English literature translated to Dutch. My English is fine and I'd rather read the original words from the author. Translations can be so annoying and not authentic.

So here's my challenge... can I donate some books I know I'd never read, even if I had all the time in the world to read them? Part of me already shudders at the thought. I have so much guilt and shame connected to books! Urgh.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2410 on: April 22, 2019, 06:12:31 AM »
Happy Easter everyone!

I've said it before, but I'm pretty much all decluttered except for 2 categories: books and clothes. With books, I see it as a big waste to get rid of them. I can't even really say why... fellow book hoarders will understand, I guess. It doesn't help that I got most of these books from my parents. I'm the designated book dump. I'm holding on to books simply because they are books... But I also know I absolutely detest translated works when I can read the original work. I have a lot of English literature translated to Dutch. My English is fine and I'd rather read the original words from the author. Translations can be so annoying and not authentic.

So here's my challenge... can I donate some books I know I'd never read, even if I had all the time in the world to read them? Part of me already shudders at the thought. I have so much guilt and shame connected to books! Urgh.

Nederstash, not sure I have the love of books you do but we did have quite a collection of Culinary Institute of America cookbooks. My hub took cooking enthusiasts courses and with each course he got a beautiful book, some even were signed by the author/chef. They sat and sat and sat for years and we never used them. So, I called this local culinary school that teaches people to work in the food industry to become skilled in kitchen procedures. I asked if they would like the books and they were thrilled to get them. They even sent someone to get them! So, in a weird way I didn't want to part with them but knowing it will make others happy made it worthwhile. I am sure your local library has a once a year book sale to raise money. You could take some of your less loved books and donate them. It will help them and help you regain space. You may find as you start unhoarding the books, the easier it is to get rid of them. Not sure where you keep all your books but maybe you could consider a new bookshelf that might fit a maximum of 50 books. That way you will have to decide which books are worthy to fill the 50 slots. Once the bookshelf is filled you must get rid of a book should you buy a new book. All books must fit on the bookshelf.

I know this thought might make you cringe, but some people make purses out of the book covers. I have seen them on Etsy and the purses sell for quite a bit of money due to the fact that it is lined, purse handles added and lots of hand work. Unfortunately, the book contents are removed. Then I have seen people make arty things from printed pages from books too, also on Etsy. I found a small collection of books on Craigslist. They were filled with fairy tales and pictures. After I got the books I decided I didn't want them. There were approximately 10 of them. I contacted a lady on Etsy who had made a purse out of an identical book I had in the collection. I asked her if she might be interested in buying the collection and she was. So I got the books free and sold them for maybe $20. I was glad to get rid of them! She was selling the purses for around $175 each!

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2411 on: April 22, 2019, 06:34:14 AM »
I finally got rid of some empty boxes that I was saving 'just in case'. A big vacuum cleaner box that is 25 years old. It's out on the curb waiting for the recycling guys come to toss it into the truck.

And the box is full of 3 other boxes I stomped down.

I couldn't bring myself to toss out the box that my stereo receiver came in, though. Ya never know when you might want to pack up your stereo, right? 

Anyway, I no longer have the annoying big stack of boxes in my hallway. Yay.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2412 on: April 22, 2019, 07:51:28 AM »
Hi Nederstash! I know that set of feelings around books. It's usually helped me to remember that when they sit unread and unloved on my shelves, that's not respecting those books. They should be in a home where they'll be read and appreciated.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2413 on: April 22, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »
In and out! A friend gave us some clothes. We immediately tried them on and grabbed what fit, and will be re homing the ones that don't. I don't want them sitting around if they don't work at all!

Already gifts are coming in. MIL gave us some baby clothes and a book at easter. I'm only 11 weeks! I better get a plan pronto for where I'll keep this stuff for the time being- right now it's sitting on my kitchen table, so this isn't going to work long term, clearly.

zygote

• Stubble
« Reply #2414 on: April 22, 2019, 08:53:58 AM »
A year and a half after we went through our drinking glass cabinet, we found four glasses we never reach for and added them to the goodwill bag.

Very grateful to be out of low-hanging fruit. But everyday maintenance is still important! I never want to build back up to the level we were at before and I can see it happening very easily. Same concept as money, the small things really do add up.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2415 on: April 22, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
Happy Easter everyone!

I am a book lover. If it's a book I will never read, didn't like, or for any reason do not want - it can go. On the reverse, I can keep a book even if I'll never read it just because I want to own it.

You do NOT have to keep a book just because you're not "allowed" to get rid of books.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2416 on: April 22, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
In and out! A friend gave us some clothes. We immediately tried them on and grabbed what fit, and will be re homing the ones that don't. I don't want them sitting around if they don't work at all!

Already gifts are coming in. MIL gave us some baby clothes and a book at easter. I'm only 11 weeks! I better get a plan pronto for where I'll keep this stuff for the time being- right now it's sitting on my kitchen table, so this isn't going to work long term, clearly.

@Bracken_Joy  - you need a plan for what and how much you'll accept, period. Where to put it is a separate issue. If you're getting stuff in the 1st trimester, you have a much bigger issue to address. Just look at all the parents bemoaning the tide of plastic crap.

Also consider a flat out ban on any "firsts", for ever and ever.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2417 on: April 22, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »

@Bracken_Joy  - you need a plan for what and how much you'll accept, period. Where to put it is a separate issue. If you're getting stuff in the 1st trimester, you have a much bigger issue to address. Just look at all the parents bemoaning the tide of plastic crap.

I mean... I'm not going to tell my MIL she can't buy me a onesie *shrugs* This is the first baby between the two families, and I've gone through years of IVF and loss. To say people are impatient is to put it mildly. It may change if it's like, plastic toys and stuffed animals and shit I don't need. But at this point, I'll take things and rehome them as needed, because I have spent insane amounts trying to *get* this baby, so the least I can spend on it, the better frankly. I'll happily accept a tide of baby crap, and send it on its way. Buy Nothing baby stuff always goes super fast, so I have no doubt I'll be able to easily rehome.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2418 on: April 22, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »

I mean... I'm not going to tell my MIL she can't buy me a onesie *shrugs* This is the first baby between the two families, and I've gone through years of IVF and loss. To say people are impatient is to put it mildly. It may change if it's like, plastic toys and stuffed animals and shit I don't need. But at this point, I'll take things and rehome them as needed, because I have spent insane amounts trying to *get* this baby, so the least I can spend on it, the better frankly. I'll happily accept a tide of baby crap, and send it on its way. Buy Nothing baby stuff always goes super fast, so I have no doubt I'll be able to easily rehome.

It's extremely easy to give baby stuff away on BNP, you're right about that.

I did tell my mother "I know you're excited about a baby girl, but after a you buy just a few tiny girl things, I'd prefer no clothes, because we just have so many."  Now that we are at size 3t, the prohibition is gone, and we receive new clothes for her ALL the time. Like an outfit a month...    I think I could have gone the whole first year not repeating an outfit because there was SO much from BNP, neighbor hand me downs, etc.  (I've heard girls are easier than boys in this regard though)

Now, the ban on "firsts"- this is TOTALLY up to you, and I was all about the "I don't want to pay for it", but some parents really want to pick out the outfit their baby wears on the first Christmas, first birthday, first Halloween, etc-  so if that's important to you, since your relatives are really eager, make sure to set the boundary. "Thank you for your excitement, but as the Mom, I really want to be able to decide on the outfits for special celebrations. But baby could really use some (play clothes, reusable food pouches, monogrammed spit clothes, etc.) 

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2419 on: April 22, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
Just got another giant black garbage bag full of clothes. Sorta sad seeing some of the clothes that I got rid of were worn for meaningful events. However, I am too fat to fit into them now. Boo hoo!

Gotta call the Vietnam Vets to do a pick up. I have 13 giant bags now to donate! OMG! We are definitely making a dent but still more to go. Just two people in one house but lived here for 40+ years. We have had dumpsters here many times and I am talking gigantic ones! We have taken hundreds of bags of everything you can imagine out of here and given to Goodwill and Vietnam Vets.

Now we have to keep pecking at this, bag it up and get it out!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2420 on: April 22, 2019, 02:47:08 PM »
Caught up with some family last night and offloaded half a dozen USB drives, three branded lanyards, and four Moleskin notebooks. They are involved with a hobby group for teenagers and love getting these to hand out to the kids.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #2421 on: April 23, 2019, 04:10:39 PM »
We filled the bin and recycling with junk from the garage on the weekend and it’s been picked up this morning.

Public holiday tomorrow so we are going to hit the garage again. Now that we’ve almost dealt with the last of SOs moving boxes of ‘inside stuff’, it is obvious that the shelving we’ve got out there (repurposed bookshelves) is not really suited for the type of stuff we want to store in the garage (esky, tent, tools). Resulting in all that large/heavy stuff being on the floor and making our life miserable. Broached the topic of getting some proper garage shelving with SO and he’s already found some second hand for a great price that he’ll pick up tomorrow morning.

Also had some hard chats about the amount of time we have spent ‘sorting out the garage’ at his request and that I feel we’re just shuffling things because he’s not ready to make a decision about most items. Which is fine but maybe we need to take a break until he is. That seemed to click something for him and he’s been a lot more decisive.

Inside the KonMari continues - I’ve done all my personal komono except for makeup/bathroom. Did the linen over the weekend and can see that shared stuff will be a much bigger challenge but it looks FANTASTIC and SO is happy with the result. We had 27 towels for a household of two people! I shudder to imagine a scenario where they would all be necessary.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2422 on: April 24, 2019, 04:51:03 AM »
Saw charcoal on half price sale, and resisted the urge to stock up, since last time I did that it took 3 years to use it all up.

I just bought one bag.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2423 on: April 25, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »
Saw charcoal on half price sale, and resisted the urge to stock up, since last time I did that it took 3 years to use it all up.

I just bought one bag.

I think that's the hardest one for minimalist mustachians! It certainly is a situation I struggle with. Good job!

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2424 on: April 26, 2019, 09:53:53 AM »
Continuing with the microdecluttering here. I kept bumping into an old shirt and slacks  hanging on a hanger next to the dryer. Both were pretty dusty. I thought about washing them so I could donate them, but nope, into the textiles recycling bag they went, mercilessly.   

ABout 5 feet away from the slacks and shirt, was a pile of those big shopping bags that certain stores give you or sell you. Macy's, Lord and Taylor, etc. Nice big bags, clean and useful, for somebody, but not me. Most of them made out of cloth, believe it or not.   

Looked at them all one by one, put a few into recycling, and put the rest neatly into a bag which I will dump off at Goodwill next time I am there. Now I have room to move my lawn mower again !   

edit to add:  I never shop at Macy's. I'm a guy and 90% of the stuff I am decluttering is from my ex girlfriend, lol.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:57:21 AM by slackmax »

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2425 on: April 26, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »

I just bought one bag.

I think that's the hardest one for minimalist mustachians! It certainly is a situation I struggle with. Good job!

Thanks !

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2426 on: April 26, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
I've lost energy to do any decluttering. My house is still full of things, and I would love to get another few hundred out of it. But I'm just too tired.

Where is the "nesting" instinct that makes pregnant woman clean in me?  Because I only feel stress that I'm not getting anything out of the house, and I'm adding another person to it in 13 days. I just want us to own less stuff.  There is stuff everywhere.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2427 on: April 26, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »
My Senior center is offering a free shred service on May 15th. I just cleaned out a file cabinet and have two giant grocery bags full. Some of the paperwork goes back to 2004! I also have another 8 bags full. So this is a win, win situation. We also have a local fund raiser shred early May that would cost me around $10 a bag so this is saving me probably $100. I went to the free shred event last year and as soon as I came home, I found a whole file cabinet that I over looked.

I have been purging and purging everything but it is hard! Even the paperwork I threw out it made me want to keep some of it. There were statements from former employers of my paychecks, 401k savings. Since I don't work anymore, it is 'fun' to see what I was earning back then. But, WHY I said to myself! Why do I need it...I don't so it got bagged up.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2428 on: April 26, 2019, 04:53:17 PM »
I've lost energy to do any decluttering. My house is still full of things, and I would love to get another few hundred out of it. But I'm just too tired.

Where is the "nesting" instinct that makes pregnant woman clean in me?  Because I only feel stress that I'm not getting anything out of the house, and I'm adding another person to it in 13 days. I just want us to own less stuff.  There is stuff everywhere.

It will hit on day 12.  Or 14.  I was out in the garden tying up tomatoes in the morning and started labour in the afternoon (2 days past due date).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2429 on: April 27, 2019, 12:50:50 AM »
Tossed three expired things and one empty thing from my medicine box this morning.

I'm allowing myself to be generous with burning candles to use up the stash, because I still have quite a few and I usually get a couple for my birthday.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2430 on: April 27, 2019, 01:20:10 AM »
I can't find anything in the garage, AGAIN! I'll spend an hour in there tomorrow looking for things that can live in the newly organised spare room and look for some cheap/free shelving. In 7 months we will have one less bedroom, but a double garage plus garden shed, can't wait.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2431 on: April 27, 2019, 07:13:22 AM »

I have been purging and purging everything but it is hard! Even the paperwork I threw out it made me want to keep some of it. There were statements from former employers of my paychecks, 401k savings. Since I don't work anymore, it is 'fun' to see what I was earning back then. But, WHY I said to myself! Why do I need it...I don't so it got bagged up.

When I have this situation (tons of paper records discovered) I recycle half of them and keep the rest for a future purge.  Feels safer that way.  lol...

But some old stuff I will keep forever if it doesn't take up much space. Ancient home equity loans forms and stuff like that.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2432 on: April 27, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »
When I was laid off from the best job of my life in 2005 after working there 18 years I bought home a small suitcase full of work stuff. The suitcase sat in the garage for probably 10 years and was never opened once. It was like a security blanket and a tether to my past that was really important to me. One day the Hub and I were purging and I finally opened Pandora's box and threw out at least 99.9%. Right now I really can't say what was in the suitcase but for some reason I had to hold onto it till my heart could let it go. People are complicated!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2433 on: April 28, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
This is organizing technically, not decluttering, but I'm still happy with it and it's making progress on our space being more functional.
-Bought a shelf off FB marketplace that fits above our freezer in otherwise dead space. Had the room to put 3 baskets I already own that were living in a closet. Moved our overflow ziplocks, paper towels, and kleenex to these from the guest bathroom cupboards. I'm still trying to decide what baby stuff we'll put where, etc, but open spaces are a great place to start. If we're desperate for room as baby approaches, we'll stop buying stuff in bulk and convert the over the freezer storage to other lesser accessed items, allowing us even more space.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2434 on: April 28, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »
Got rid of 2 lawnmowers and 1 semi-professional paint sprayer.  All needed maintenance to run better, and could be "worth something"... but when we tried to get maintenance, the costs were too high for our use.  Also got rid of the second sectional section (out of 3). One left, which is in use, then it will go, too.

At least the lawnmowers went to metal recycling.... and I am freeing up a lot of space getting rid of the big things.  So hard to give up things that have value / use...  So nice to have the room.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2435 on: April 28, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »
Got rid of 2 baby books. And another 2 waiting pickup from BNP.

Also got 5 cardboard boxes into recycling

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2436 on: April 28, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
Instead of just putting all the Easter decorations back in the big bin with a ton of old junk that we haven't taken out of the box in years, I got rid of almost all the stuff still in the box before I put away all the decor items that we used this year.

The box is only 1/3 full.  Don't have a smaller bin at the moment so the large mostly empty bin just went back on the shelf until a smaller bin appears.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #2437 on: April 29, 2019, 05:18:47 AM »
Found some 'no decision, easy stuff' to declutter when I was looking in a kitchen cabinet for something: 2 boxes of oatmeal I can use up slowly, day by day. I never knew they were there.     

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #2438 on: April 29, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »
Finally decided to get rid of my old suitcase, which I replaced about 2 years ago.  It is stuffed full of random clothes and in the car to be donated today, along with two Pyrex casserole dishes, a book, and a big comforter that we don't use because it doesn't breath properly.

I also went through my crafting supplies/random bits and found quite a few things to toss.  There was a whole stash of stuff sacks from various down vests and jackets.

For now I'm setting aside a small box of clothes that are currently too small.  Just the items like high-end jeans that I feel are worth storing for a bit to see if I can shrink back into them (we're talking 10# here, so I think it's in the realm of possibility).

This Wednesday should be the free hazardous waste collection day at the fire department, so I need to get some old electronics and things pulled together and bring them over.  We had a whole tote box full of old routers, an ancient MP3 player, etc.  Like, why are we storing this dead technology?

I've managed to sell a couple horse items on eBay, but sales are SLOW.  Freecycling a horse-riding shirt that came free with purchase and is not a color I'd ever wear, and supposedly have someone taking one of my extra saddles on trial this week.  I think I'll just add a Best Offer option on my eBay listing for the other, because I'm getting sick of looking at it, and have a new-used saddle for the baby horse arriving tomorrow, which will put me at 5(!) saddles.

Need to list a squat rack and big coffee table on CL, but have been waiting until DH returns from a work trip, rather than dealing with rando people while home alone (since those items are too large to meet and exchange in a public spot).

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2439 on: April 29, 2019, 12:52:27 PM »
I finally got the nerve to get rid of a couple dozen text books from college, plus a handful of other expensive books that I have little interest in.  The library was accepting donations for the spring book sale, and I sneaked these in (technically I don't think they like to take text books as donations, but nobody checked).  I feel a little bit of sadness and a little bit of relief that they're gone.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2440 on: April 29, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »
I have 25 items selected for my get-rid-of-30 things goal this month. 5 are actually out of the house, eep. Tonight's goal is to dig a little bit more and then to get rid of what I can get rid of (there's some donatables that should be easy -- just drop them at the coffeeshop network).

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2441 on: April 29, 2019, 01:42:28 PM »
All our old baby seats were decluttered to be recycled at Target last Monday. We'd been hanging on to them until we could find a way that they didn't end up in the landfill. Major amount of space freed!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2442 on: April 29, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »
All our old baby seats were decluttered to be recycled at Target last Monday. We'd been hanging on to them until we could find a way that they didn't end up in the landfill. Major amount of space freed!

I've noticed BNP has had a nice trade in old car seats. So not only do they get recycled, people have even found someone else to take them in for them :)

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2443 on: April 29, 2019, 04:46:16 PM »
Two SUV loads gone/donated in the last few weeks.   Plus maximum amount allowed each week for garbage and recycling.  A lot was sort of hidden stuff, the difference is not massively obvious yet.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2444 on: April 29, 2019, 05:33:44 PM »
Fifteen 33 gallon bags going tomorrow to Vietnam Vets. I had one more bag started but not sure if I will fill it. We have to put the bags out at 8 am. But no idea on what time the pick up occurs.

shadesofgreen

• Bristles
« Reply #2445 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:08 AM »
I am relieved that I got 3 boxes of stuff out of the house this weekend to donation. It was very mentally freeing to see the empty spot in the living room.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2446 on: April 30, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
I moved recently and had a box of stuff that I wasn’t ready to part with earlier but decided it wasn’t needed in my new house. Brought it to a thrift store along with two boxes of bubble wrap for the store to use when people buy fragile things (I asked if they wanted it before dropping it off).

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2447 on: April 30, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
I am relieved that I got 3 boxes of stuff out of the house this weekend to donation. It was very mentally freeing to see the empty spot in the living room.

I love this feeling!  Just dropped off 2 boxes today, and the open space in the entry way is glorious.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2448 on: April 30, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »
Fifteen 33 gallon bags going tomorrow to Vietnam Vets. I had one more bag started but not sure if I will fill it. We have to put the bags out at 8 am. But no idea on what time the pick up occurs.

Gone, gone, gone!

okcisok

• Stubble
« Reply #2449 on: April 30, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
Read the entire thread over the past few days. So much inspiration here!

I scanned all my old tax paperwork and took the actual papers to be shredded.

I have a giant box in the car to go to Goodwill.

I've used up a ton of trial- or travel-sized toiletries.

A big one is finally asking my family about the china set I've been toting around for ten years! I thought it was my great-grandmothers that her son bought in Europe during WWII when he was in the army. Nope! My mom has that set, which I will inherit. This? Nobody knows whose it was, and I don't remember who I got it from. So out it goes! When I think of the number of times I have carefully wrapped and packed those dishes and cups throughout my nomadic life!! An entire cabinet emptied out. Too bad I left the roll of newsprint in the mail room with a "free" sign just last week. :P

I've gotten all of the easy stuff. Now I've been through summer and winter clothes, the kitchen cabinets, books, and some sentimental things. I've noticed that after a while, some sentimental things become less...sentimental and more 'what is this?'

Now to decide if I really need a printer, since it usually lives unplugged on a closet shelf. I have a workplace where I can print, and my building's office will gladly let tenants use their office equipment for small, one-off things. The shredder got donated weeks ago, when I opted out of most junk mail and opted in to email statements on almost everything.