Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 125895 times)

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #1400 on: October 17, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »
Things I'm struggling with:
-Poster from my first undergrad of a paper I presented.
-Violin. I used to play when I was younger, then played again for a while in college. I don't know how to anymore, but hope to re-learn some day. It's crazy though because I've toted a violin place to place (9 or 10 times?) and haven't played in like 8 years >.<

Jumping in to motivate myself, and also to comment on these!  I am in exactly the same situation, I can't bear to get rid of my first ever academic poster, so it stays rolled up in my closet.  And I used to play oboe, and want to again, but I haven't played since college because of living in apartments with thin walls.  Once I have the space/privacy, I don't know if I'll be able to play anymore, but I also know if I get rid of my instrument, it'll be hard to find another I like as much...  I've got lower hanging fruit to declutter for now, though.

Things I need to declutter:
 - Sewing box + fabric box - get rid of duplicates, make sure I know what I have in there
 - kitchen cabinets - organize and clean shelves
 - winter clothes - try on and donate anything that doesn't fit or no longer my style
 - liquor cabinet - move things to front to be consumed first to clear out

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1401 on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:03 PM »
-Violin. I used to play when I was younger, then played again for a while in college. I don't know how to anymore, but hope to re-learn some day. It's crazy though because I've toted a violin place to place (9 or 10 times?) and haven't played in like 8 years >.<

Jumping in to motivate myself, and also to comment on these!  I am in exactly the same situation, I can't bear to get rid of my first ever academic poster, so it stays rolled up in my closet.  And I used to play oboe, and want to again, but I haven't played since college because of living in apartments with thin walls.  Once I have the space/privacy, I don't know if I'll be able to play anymore, but I also know if I get rid of my instrument, it'll be hard to find another I like as much...  I've got lower hanging fruit to declutter for now, though.

- Sewing box + fabric box - get rid of duplicates, make sure I know what I have in there
 - winter clothes - try on and donate anything that doesn't fit or no longer my style

The academic poster one is so weird, right? I ended up in a different field than my first undergrad (nursing vs a science degree), and so it feels like that poster is so symbolic of a different time and path in my life, and it's nice to remember I DID that. But it's like... I can't really hang up a poster like that, haha. It's bright orange for one!

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #1402 on: October 17, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »

The academic poster one is so weird, right? I ended up in a different field than my first undergrad (nursing vs a science degree), and so it feels like that poster is so symbolic of a different time and path in my life, and it's nice to remember I DID that. But it's like... I can't really hang up a poster like that, haha. It's bright orange for one!

I can verify that just looking at the PDFs of my first posters provides a good nostalgia hit, so maybe you can rely on an electronic copy or a picture?

All my printed copies were left at my various labs, I think.  Maybe some are still on the wall there? (Probably not, haha.)

zygote

• Stubble
« Reply #1403 on: October 17, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
I also still have my undergraduate posters and my old instruments....To be fair, I have played my clarinet in the last year or two and am still singing so it's not totally crazy I'd pick up the clarinet for something again.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I may take the posters to work. Does that count as decluttering?

Anyway, the real reason I came to post in this thread is that I got the fudge and smoked paprika out of my house. I recently listened to a podcast about a food sharing app called Olio and decided to give it a try. It's meant to reduce food waste by connecting people who have food they don't want with others who would enjoy it. It's based in the UK, where I think it's more active. There aren't very many listings in my city. But someone saw my post and wanted the items! She picked them up tonight.

If that hadn't worked, I was going to try my neighborhood's Nextdoor. I've never used Buy Nothing or Freecycle here but I will also keep those in mind for the future. I also would have considered donating to a food pantry, but the pantries in my area had specific requests that were not fudge.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1404 on: October 17, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »
Awesome on the food redistribution, zygote!

JanetJackson

• Bristles
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1405 on: October 18, 2018, 07:06:01 AM »
@zygote That's great!  I downloaded that app a while ago, but after three months of no postings in my area, I deleted it.
Hoping to try again maybe next year as it's fanbase grows!

----------------------------------------------------

I successfully moved this little desk that's been in my house forever into my car.  It'll go to the thrift shop this week!  Yay!
I also spent an hour or so doing mending projects last night, rather than going out and buying new things to add to my junk.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1406 on: October 18, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
When I did my annual files cull, I came across 15 sheets of paper all related to one purchase -four copies of the receipt (?!), copy of the full reimbursement package submitted at the time, three copies of the warranty, etc. I was pretty sure the warranty had long expired, but called today to confirm. Yep! The product is working perfectly still, the warranty expired two YEARS ago, and now I get to shred this many more pages :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1407 on: October 18, 2018, 12:46:24 PM »
More more more! Added an old test prep book and a set of speakers to the goodwill box. Went through a couple drawers and tidied, plus a few glass jars are going to recycling. On the "pretty for staging" front, consolidated a couple bags of coffee into pretty jars, so the cupboard is nice and clean now.

A tiny bit down, SO Much more to go! On the bright side, everyone who comes to work on the house or give bids tells us they think we'll sell super fast. Maybe just good marketing, but it feels nice to hear the votes of confidence!

SunnyDays

• Stubble
« Reply #1408 on: October 18, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »

--threw out all expired allergy meds

It's best to take old meds to the pharmacy for proper disposal, otherwise it can leech into groundwater or end up in bodies of water.  Not good for people or animals.

mspym

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1409 on: October 18, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
Took the last of the handbags I wanted to give away* to book club last night, got 1 sneer from the woman who is insanely & pointlessly competitive and 1 offer** to take it for the dress-up box. I know I know but it's a $400 handbag! So reaching out to Dress for Success to see if they will want it. Otherwise it will go to the work colleague who wants it.

Also my trip to NZ is planned so that will be a suitcase of manga out of the house!

*this round
**from a really nice woman who I like

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1410 on: October 18, 2018, 06:49:34 PM »
Put three more necklaces in the donation pile. Two have never been worn, and were gifts. I like the idea of small, steady steps each day!

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1411 on: October 18, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »

It's best to take old meds to the pharmacy for proper disposal, otherwise it can leech into groundwater or end up in bodies of water.  Not good for people or animals.

Thanks, good to know @SunnyDays
 I've taken pain med's/opiates back to the pharmacy but never considered it with the over-the-counter anti-histamines. I'll look into it next time!

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1412 on: October 18, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »
Going through toiletries--eegads :)

Removing
--seven pairs of tweezers (!!)
--piles of soap/sewing kits that my SO brings from his travels
--threw out all expired allergy meds/doubles of first aid items

I have a friend who belongs to a church that does breakfast programs for struggling families and the homeless.  They are always very happy to get any hotel toiletries, travel size toothpaste and toothbrushes from the dentist, etc.  They make up little gift bags with them, and pass them out at Christmas or when needed.

Do you have something like that available?

Yes--thank you. The local thrift store is connected with/run by the social services group in the area so they receive and put these items to use :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:31:35 PM by Serendip »

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1413 on: October 18, 2018, 10:14:21 PM »
I my mind, this counts.

Last weekend I hung up my cork board, which has been in my closet for 6 months.  The only thing on it all week was the slip from the library showing due dates.  Kind of pathetic-looking.  Today inspiration struck, and I hung up the envelopes I use to hold receipts between the time I enter them in my spreadsheet and when I balance the checkbooks (6 envelopes).  They fill up a nice bit of the board and it no longer looks pathetic!

Ooh, another inspiration.  Some of the things in my last 2 unpacked boxes from the move were originally on the cork board...I should see if I want them back, or donate them.  Onward!

mspym

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1414 on: October 18, 2018, 10:27:38 PM »
Oneday- it totally counts!

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1415 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:02 PM »
Today, we finally got rid of the two bags of stuff that have been gathering
-one of the bags was a recently acquired backpack that we filled with recently acquired books..all given to us, not bought

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1416 on: October 19, 2018, 02:29:06 AM »

I've taken pain med's/opiates back to the pharmacy but never considered it with the over-the-counter anti-histamines. I'll look into it next time!

Omg who gives away opiates! :)

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1417 on: October 19, 2018, 03:58:59 AM »

Who would want those nasty things in the house if it's not absolutely necessary?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1418 on: October 19, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
Today, we finally got rid of the two bags of stuff that have been gathering
-one of the bags was a recently acquired backpack that we filled with recently acquired books..all given to us, not bought

I'm wondering if we have reached a turning point in society where giving gifts can be considered an act of hostility!  I was looking around our house and realizing how many of the tchotchkes were gifted to me, not bought.  I never wanted any of this stuff, though I love the people who gave them to me and treasure their intentions. And I am downright resenting visiting elderly relatives who fill my trunk with their junk.

Got rid of a quantity of baby stuff including the high chair! Hopefully there will be room enough in our garage and closets so we can do some serious organization, rather than cramming items into the closet and then closing the door quick before things fall out.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1419 on: October 19, 2018, 08:23:42 AM »
I'm wondering if we have reached a turning point in society where giving gifts can be considered an act of hostility!

Good question... Unless specifically thought-out, itís just people dumping their crap or emotions on victims, or being unwilling to level up their relating. Not actually a gift at all...

Lincolnshire Girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1420 on: October 19, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
I'm wondering if we have reached a turning point in society where giving gifts can be considered an act of hostility!

Good question... Unless specifically thought-out, itís just people dumping their crap or emotions on victims, or being unwilling to level up their relating. Not actually a gift at all...

I put it down to the hand-me-down/war era where the same probably happened to them. It was the thing to do.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1421 on: October 19, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »

Who would want those nasty things in the house if it's not absolutely necessary?

It took me 5 pharmacies to find one who would take them back.  Between my husband and I we had over 200 pills - dating as old as 8 years ago.
Apparently our doctors give out prescriptions like candy, and then we take 1 or 2.   hydrocodone, hydromorphone, codeine, I couldn't believe how much was in the medicine drawer.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1422 on: October 19, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »

It took me 5 pharmacies to find one who would take them back.  Between my husband and I we had over 200 pills - dating as old as 8 years ago.
Apparently our doctors give out prescriptions like candy, and then we take 1 or 2.   hydrocodone, hydromorphone, codeine, I couldn't believe how much was in the medicine drawer.

And that is part of why we have an epidemic of addiction and deaths. Consider telling your doctor(s) how much you just turned in.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1423 on: October 19, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »
In my town we used to have an annual drug disposal day. You would drive up with your drugs in bags and they would collect them. Now, if you want to dispose drugs you take them to the police station and I guess they have a container to dispose of them. Seems to me people would be more apt to go to a community event to dispose of drugs than to go to the police station.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1424 on: October 19, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »
Got rid of two skirts, one bra + two summer dresses that don't fit. We're going to Hawaii in a few weeks, and I figured now was the time to try on my beachy wear & get rid of anything that I wouldn't want to bring on a vacation. All in the donation pile. I think I'll peek into the kids rooms to see what mysteries await, and what's available for donation!

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1425 on: October 19, 2018, 01:51:19 PM »
So this week I got rid of three magazine storage boxes and a pile of magazines. They were very bulky and I had no shelf space for them anymore so it feels good.

About the tablets & prescriptions. I just don't fill out new prescriptions if I've still got old ones. I guess I'd have packets  and packets of codeine if I filled them all every time I needed four tablets after an op or what have you. Noone's ever prescribed me the really really strong -odone stuff but I was a bit astonished when I got prescribed the strongest prescription only codeine for a persistent cough - I just asked for the lower strength one at the pharmacy as that's what I have for migraines so I get to use up the packet.

What I have got is hundreds of unused needles from doing IVF - I don't expect anyone would accept them and needle disposal is quite hard - my local pharmacy won't take them so I might have to go to a hospital.

For some reason we also have loads of bandages - good for a Halloween mummy costume??

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1426 on: October 19, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
@Fresh Bread --a mummy costume is a great idea :)

Dealing with
-old seeds into the compost
-getting rid of a planter that lost one small leg, still use-able but can go to the free-store
-some electronics that my SO has been holding onto
-brand new runners that he was given for some reason..doesn't need or want

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1427 on: October 19, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »

And donating them now so someone else can make one is perfect!

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1428 on: October 19, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »

And donating them now so someone else can make one is perfect!

Yeah, I'll get them out there! Today however I must declutter the weeds as there is a break in weeks of rain.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1429 on: October 19, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
Can I just say that getting up and walking into my much more minimalist lounge this morning was quite fabulous. We just got plantation shutters and I really love having no curtains. Was going to put them back up but I love it so much without. How funny.

Sugaree

• Stubble
« Reply #1430 on: October 19, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »
Ugh.  I got home this afternoon and went to take a picture of the high chair to put on FB and found that DH has moved it into storage.  And he's covered the desk I wanted to try to sell in stuff from his office.  This is NOT the direction this is supposed to be going.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1431 on: October 19, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »
...I really love having no curtains. Was going to put them back up but I love it so much without. How funny.

I'm required to have logistically difficult blinds, but I was able to easily remove the overhang and change other secondary aspects -so much better!!

CrustyBadger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1432 on: October 19, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
A few months ago I drastically decluttered all the camping cookware I had gathered in the basement.  Of course today my son asked for a lot of it as he was going camping and needed the pots and pans and mess kits I had donated!

Oh well, I told him they were gone and ... he dealt with it!   He figured something out.  I hang on to things because I think "they might come in handy some day" and I'm afraid to throw stuff out because "someone might need it".  But if he had given me even a few days' notice we could have borrowed some things. And as it turned out, he managed to make do.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #1433 on: October 19, 2018, 10:48:28 PM »
Small wins this week - I read "Decluttering at the Speed of Life" and liked the anti-konmari approach of keeping things contained as you go, so that if you are interrupted (or sick, or tired) you are not left with a larger interim mess.  I really like KonMari - especially for the folding advice - but this was more practical for me at the moment so I can keep some progress going without commiting my full office or home to overhaul. It is just not the time for that now.

With that in mind, I got rid of about 4 inches of paper clutter at work, and a full box of stuff at home. I also needed to read her take on kitchen pantry clutter - which I fight against (frequent lurker on the 'https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/eat-all-the-food-in-your-house-take-2/?topicseen topic, and I hate the thought of food waste).  She asked - is the food already wasted? As in, you might be ok eating slightly expired food, and using up non-favorites, but how many times have you opted for something else when it should have been an option. Also addressed the 'i don't want the chance of being sick today', with - when is a good time to feel sick?

So, a super old bag of broken/mixed/yucky cereal and similarly broken/mixed/yucky biscuits plus the last few tablespoons of lemon curd finally hit the bin. I'm very relieved. I tried a few pudding and other recipes with those items and they were never good. It was wasted food a long long time ago. Now I can focus on the next mystery ingredients in my cupboard, and the next likely stack of shreddable papers.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1434 on: October 19, 2018, 11:55:15 PM »
Those new angles sound fresh and awesome, halftimer :)

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1435 on: October 20, 2018, 05:38:17 AM »
Small wins this week - I read "Decluttering at the Speed of Life" and liked the anti-konmari approach of keeping things contained as you go, so that if you are interrupted (or sick, or tired) you are not left with a larger interim mess. 

Thanks for the recommendation.  It is popular, I am now #78 in line for it at my library.

I liked The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning, very low key, funny, and realistic.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1436 on: October 20, 2018, 07:49:43 AM »
Entire truck bed full went to goodwill! I didn't even realize we had acquired so much. Some was small old ikea type pieces that we used in the garage- like an old lack coffee table we used as an easy to move table to do wood working projects in the garage- stuff like that can go now in advance of listing the house. Other stuff was things we've been adding to the goodwill pile the last few weeks, then an old synthetic comforter and fuzzy blanket that sheds.

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1437 on: October 20, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache I appreciate you posting so steadily.  That goes for everyone.  I just *love* coming back here periodically to find how much others are "in it with me". 

Yesterday got 4 small boxes of CDs back to Mr. X.  Actually, 3 boxes of CDs and one box of empty CD cases.  Nice to get that particular box out of the house with only minimal effort on my part!

5 down, 4 to go.  Those were the smallest 5, so the last 4 will likely take more effort.  Maybe a box a week rather than 3?  Putting the end date for this project at Nov 18.  Yes, that is what I'll shoot for.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1438 on: October 20, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
Awesome job, everyone! Shout out to @Bracken_Joy for the entire truck bed of donations!

@oneday - so happy it's useful. I find it personally motivating as well. I also went through my fridge/freezer today, tossing things that weren't going to ever be eaten. Sad for food waste, but yay for having only things we will eat. I also have 5-6 things of the kids that I pulled out of their closets and will either sell or donate to our local kids swap.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1439 on: October 20, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »
*Shipped kid's course work off to teacher
*Returned comfort item ($) I will no longer need for coping with exams
*Returned library book of kid's that was a touch overdue and that he found when doing thorough weekly tidy of his room
*Dropped off latest pile of recycling
*Threw out cuticle cream I somehow lost the cap for

Sugaree

• Stubble
« Reply #1440 on: October 20, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »
I managed to get the high chair listed on FB for sale.  Also got a few of the nicer cloth diapers listed on a specialty page for sale.  Threw out a box full of training manuals for a class I took nearly two years ago and haven't used since.  Now to get the rest of his outgrown clothes ready for the next round of consignment sales. 

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #1441 on: October 21, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
@Bracken_Joy

Yes, that's a tough one for my sentimental heart! Can you roll up the poster or take a picture of it and store on your computer?

I would have a hard time getting rid of the violin too... that's why I follow this thread.

Okay, so my question is how did you declutter your jewellery box? I have lots of jewellery that was given to me over the years that's just not my style. A lot of it is silver and semi-precious stones so I wouldn't want to give it away...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1442 on: October 21, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
Went through the kids closets. Got rid of at least 35 items, for the donation pile. We don't buy that much, but get hand me downs from my nephews, and sizes/seasons/preferences don't always totally align.

I also put aside a shirt that's from my friend's child's favorite sports team. He's a size smaller than my kids, and this is in great condition.

I also found a pair of pants with the tags still on that I'll attempt to sell.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1443 on: October 21, 2018, 12:18:34 PM »
Was going through some stuff in the attic and came across an old model car. eBay search shows itís worth about $200!  Score!  Best part is it holds zero sentimental value so no consideration given to keeping it.  Not even sure where it came from.  The weirdest part is that I thought I was free of items like this but I occasionally I find something new.  Imagine how much stuff a non-declutterer has in their house!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:41:48 PM by Debts_of_Despair »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1444 on: October 21, 2018, 02:00:34 PM »
@Debts_of_Despair - nice! What a great find!

I also went through & listed four things on a Facebook swap + one bundle on eBay. I already have one taker for a Facebook swap item. Yay!

I ended an eBay listing that was not paying off (had been posted 3 times), so added that + a tshirt to the donation pile. I'm feeling so good with the progress this weekend! If only every weekend was like this. Once I get on a roll, I try to take advantage of my motivation while it's hot. ;-)

Sugaree

• Stubble
« Reply #1445 on: October 21, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »
Got a couple of boxes of kids clothes ready for consignment sale.  Added bonus that it cleared a whole bunch of clothes hangers out of my closet.  Figured out that I'm going to have way more than the item limit for the spring sale. 

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1446 on: October 21, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »
@MrsTuxedocat I went through my jewelry today, and I made four separate piles.  1. Keep; 2. Pawn Shop (gold/silver or gemstone jewelry that I never wear); 3. Donate (good looking costume jewelry, silver-plated, etc); and 4. Trash (really ugly or tarnished costume jewelry).  My DH is due to make a trip to a pawn shop or Jewelry/Coin type place soon to sell some of his coin collection, so I'm going to have him take the Pawn pile along to sell and hopefully get a bit back for it.  If the pawn shop doesn't want it, I'll decide if anyone I know might like it as a gift, otherwise donate it.

I also went through a small under-bed bin, a small bin from my closet, my bag of hair clips/barrettes, and a small bowl that sits in my living room and tends to collect bits and bobs.  Tossed a few things, and put a bunch more in the donate box.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1447 on: October 21, 2018, 06:37:59 PM »
R, I decluttered my jewelry in a similar way except that jewelry stores buy gold and silver to melt down and pay more than pawn shops. I have also put nice rings on consignment at upscale shops that sell used designer clothes.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1448 on: October 21, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »
Don't you just love it when you do your to-do list out of order?
Dropped off 4 bags of stuff to Goodwill.
Then pulled winter clothes out and put summer clothes away. Several items added to the box.

I've decided I'm going to get rid of a bike (leg powered) and an insert for a sliding door with a cat door in it. Now just to actually do it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1449 on: October 21, 2018, 07:09:55 PM »
Everyone is crushing it! Must be the day/weekend for decluttering