Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 108976 times)

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #1350 on: October 11, 2018, 03:55:21 AM »
I bought these two mesh drawer under sink organizers. They were both supposed to go under each side of my kitchen sink. I pulled out the junk on one side of the sink and reorg'd it into the mesh drawer. It was pretty spacious, I was surprised. Plus the top has a shelf you can place things on too. What a difference. On the other side of the sink I have another type of organizer. It is okay but too full of junk and I need to go thru it. I then decided that the other drawer organizer would go in our small bathroom. I pulled out about 50 old things from under there. Cleaners, personal hygiene products, toilet paper and so much more! I had a small garbage can full of stuff, then I filled up another grocery bag of stuff to think about. Gave it to the Hub to figure out. Then once the cabinet was empty I tried to put the organizer into the cabinet and it was too wide and would not fit! ARG! But the good thing is that the cleaners that are left under the sink are manageable! I probably could have sorted thru some of that too to toss but at least I got two messes under control. Love the mesh drawers!

I also bought these on the wall wine bottle organizers. They were only $6.95 thru The Paragon catalog. I bought three of them. They are small and only hold two wine bottles each but I am planning to put them in my hallway bathroom and roll towels and put them where the wine bottles would go. I may have the Hub cut one up to add extra wine bottle holders to make it hold four towels. Once they get here I will analyze the situation. They come in black and I may have the Hub spray paint them another color. If I don't cut them I may place them side by side or one on each wall. The third one might go on the back of the door to store bath towels. The others I plan to put rolled up hand towels. We shall see how this project goes! It is a work in progress!

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1351 on: October 11, 2018, 04:51:45 AM »
Roadrunner, I love reading about your progress on decluttering and all your nifty storage solutions.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1352 on: October 11, 2018, 05:17:44 AM »
Roadrunner, I love reading about your progress on decluttering and all your nifty storage solutions.

Thanks former player! My Hub cringes! I am the engineer and he is my mechanical technician! I have these chrome carts in my kitchen to hold small kitchen appliances, skillets and other stuff. I discovered I had a top shelf on one of them that was empty and space is precious. So, my wheels were turning. I am trying to clear off my kitchen counter stuff and have two big jugs of spatulas and kitchen utensils. Way too much stuff, but I like most of it. I did purge some of it. Well, the next thing I do is look for a chrome or wire basket to fit the top shelf of this cart. It had to be about 20 inches long, 8 1/2 wide and 7 1/2 inches tall. I looked everywhere and couldn't find such a critter. So, I decided the Hub and I would build one. I bought these cooling racks (4) and measured a bottom piece and 4 sides. The Hub cut the cooling racks to size. It was a bitch cutting these racks and the Hub got a few cuts. So then I assembled them with wire ties. Hub has a wire tie gun that tightens the wire ties and cuts them off cleanly. I had a nifty basket that fit perfectly. I then added all my long spatulas and odd ball junk to this basket. I use a towel to cover them since it is open. I LOVE IT! Then, with the rest of the cooling racks we built another basket to put near my refrigerator and close to the stove. I have a bunch more big spoons and other cooking forks, etc. It looks really nice! However, I warn you, cutting those racks was ugly. I think if we had a Dremel saw it might have been easier. The Hub used a hack saw and wire cutters. I know you may ask why so many kitchen tools. We like to cook and have acquired a lot of cooking things over the years via gifts and just life!

CrustyBadger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1353 on: October 11, 2018, 05:55:18 AM »
Today's my day!   Home from work all day to take DH to a midday dr's appointment.  So I have 2 big chunks of time with no kids around to declutter.... Will I do it?

Morning: paperwork
Afternoon: sort through basement boxes.

Wish me energy please!

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1354 on: October 11, 2018, 07:05:15 AM »
Today's my day!   Home from work all day to take DH to a midday dr's appointment.  So I have 2 big chunks of time with no kids around to declutter.... Will I do it?

Wish me energy please!

If it becomes overwhelming, sort out just one thing.  Maybe junk paper.  I do that all the time and tend to target plastic kids toys.  I still find stuff appropriate for 2 year old kids.  My youngest is 18.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1355 on: October 11, 2018, 09:21:21 AM »
It was my birthday recently, and a friend was very kind and gave me some presents. Please don't tell anyone, but all of them are in my car for me to try to return for store credit. Failing that, regift/donate. If you want to give me gifts, labor (for house projects), or money (for house projects) are the best bet.

Found more stuff for the hazardous waste drop off. I think I've got it all now. It's a messy little pile, but it will be gone soon.

CrustyBadger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1356 on: October 11, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »

Wish me energy please!

If it becomes overwhelming, sort out just one thing.  Maybe junk paper.  I do that all the time and tend to target plastic kids toys.  I still find stuff appropriate for 2 year old kids.  My youngest is 18.

Hah!  I have some of those too!

Honestly it is always overwhelming.   But midday doctor's appointment took 3 hours and by the time I got my husband settled back home it feels like the day is over.  Gonna try to regroup and at least get the paperwork finished. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1357 on: October 13, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
Contacted [new] bank to insist on no contact beyond re: my own transactions. Two envelopes of crap this round! No more please :)

Online, switched internet bill to paperless. Every month they were sending not only the bill, but a thick brochure welcoming me as a new customer. Glitch. Some things I like paper records of -makes tax time way easier. But my internet is so cheap now, I don't need to declare its home office portion, so can opt out. Yay!

Did my annual cull in all but three files, have 3/4 of one banker's box of stuff to shred. Lots of low-hanging fruit in there, why did I even have those?

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1358 on: October 14, 2018, 02:57:15 PM »
A bunch of stuff left my place yesterday: coffee table, 3 extension cords, basket that goes in a cooler, a plant, and a box full of CD's. 

All this went to Mr. X.  I had agreed to care for the plant, and am holding onto the CDs while I rip them, then he gets custody of the physical CDs (one box down, 8 to go).  The basket was left here accidentally when he went on vacation (probably when he dropped off the plant).  The table & cords were mine, but I decided I didn't need them & he did, so since I was already bringing a bunch of things over, those went too. 

Moving the coffee table out of my bedroom inspired me to empty two boxes that were near where it was.  Those were full of my craft things, so I got 7 baskets from the dollar store and now that stuff lives in the credenzas.

The only thing left in that space was a piece of artwork neither of us liked, but I took because I had plans to turn it into a white board.  So while at the dollar store I picked up a roll of wrapping paper.  Now the table & boxes were out of the way, I could hang the artwork.  So put the wrapping paper over the art but under the glass and hung that, plus my cork board which had been languishing in a closet.  So nice to have reclaimed that space!  And it's totally usable.  The only thing on the cork board is my library slip showing when the books are due, but I'm glad to have that in a secure place now.  Once I get some dry erase markers I can start writing notes or doodles on my white board.  Can't wait!

It occurs to me that I've brought maybe the same number of items into the house or maybe even more, but the things coming in are useful while the things going out were not useful to me.

Add to the "going out" tally: the two boxes next to the coffee table were plastic totes I used for moving, but they are the responsibility of Mr. X and I returned those to him as well.  9 out, 7 in. :)

And I just realized I might be able to consolidate 2 of the 3 remaining boxes from moving...brb!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1359 on: October 14, 2018, 03:00:15 PM »
We've moved most of our house into our garage so all our flooring can be replaced. Cue INSTANT PANIC over how much crap we have! A lot of it I really don't even care about, and only took because it was free (when relatives moved) and we had spaces it looked nice in. So come Thursday when we're bringing stuff back in, I'll be very brutal about what makes the cut =) If it isn't wanted/needed, or useful short term for staging, then it goes.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1360 on: October 14, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
Weather was unexpectedly nice today, so I was puttering around outside. Cleaned up and organized the garage some. Realized that I had appropriate shelf supports and an appropriate board available, and put that up for a nice shelf out there. Got some stuff up off the floor. also put a pile of stuff I don't need/want in the alley, with a free post on Craigslist. Whatever isn't taken will be picked up as garbage on Thursday.

AerynLee

• Bristles
« Reply #1361 on: October 14, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »
I took a box of books and board games to Half Priced Books and got $20 for it. The box had been sitting in my living room for a couple of weeks waiting for us to have a reason to go to the next city over. It's nice to have it gone

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1362 on: October 14, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
@Bracken_Joy that's a lot of work, wow!  Go you guys! 

@Sibley I love easy projects that you already have all the stuff for...nice to tie up loose ends

@AerynLee I know that nice feeling well...a fun feeling.

Consolidated 3 boxes into 2.  A couple more things into the donation box, yay!  A couple textiles into the laundry to re-incorporate into the household.  And the box itself liberated & saved.

Mr. X packed up the CDs in whatever boxes were available.  The largest is at least twice the size of any of the others.  He labeled it "heavy as balls".  I cannot move this box.  So I'll use this empty box to hold some of the CDs after they are ripped...hopefully I'll be able to lift "heavy as balls" once those are taken out.  If not, I'll find another box.

I would prefer he come get the boxes after I'm done with them (especially as that means he would deal with "heavy as balls" - which he created), but he is unmotivated right now.  He just moved into a new place and is reckoning with his hoarding tendencies...even though he is attached to the CDs, he does not want to bring them into his place at this time.  I don't want to wait till he's ready, and so far he's been receptive to me dropping off a box or two each weekend.

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1363 on: October 14, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
On just one counter, my teen likes to rest bits of food-related items. That space is literally inches from multiple appropriate receptacles. I put a sign on the counter: "Do not store things here. A thing goes in recycling, compost, wash bin, or garbage. Nothing goes here." Likely it will need to stay put just a few days before Teen has established a new habit. Looking forward to that :)

It worked :)

Also, after years and years of owning this size and style of shredder, I only JUST realized a grocery bag can fit inside it, like with a garbage can. Makes it a teeny bit simpler to get 'er done. Three grocery bags of shreds out today.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1364 on: October 14, 2018, 04:16:41 PM »
I got rid of a big and bulky set of shelves that we had no room for anymore! They were just IKEA chipboard, didn't think anyone would want them, but there you go! Also got rid of an unused appliance to a friend. Our dining room is now bright and airy again. Just ignore the half finished projects on the dining table and the books in piles in the living room...

Question: we were given a lovely wedding gift (that was years ago now) that I've never displayed. It's two matching artworks that show where we met and where we married. However, the dates and locations are a little bit wrong and there's some wording that bugs me. It's unlikely the gifters will ever visit and ask about them but I'm finding it very hard to put them in the bin... I did think about having them remade with the correct details because otherwise they are nice to look at and I have a suitable wall spot. WWYD??

joonifloofeefloo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1365 on: October 14, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
^ I would ditch them. Once something's niggling at me to go, and my primary reason not to release them is that the gifter might notice, that tells me it's bye-bye time. If it's possible, I would take them apart and remove the identifying elements, donating the parts. A thrift shopper will do something crafty with the parts or wholes, making something they love. If they can't be taken apart, and you remain concerned about the gifter, I would take them on my next road trip and put them in a different town's thrift shop or landfill them.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1366 on: October 14, 2018, 04:30:35 PM »
Is there a way to modify and or correct it?

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1367 on: October 14, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »
Is there a way to modify and or correct it?

It's a printed map with text. It's possibly only the text which is a problem so in theory I could get someone with good calligraphy to write on a bit of card and put that over the top. Hmmmm, that might work.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1368 on: October 14, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »
^ I would ditch them. Once something's niggling at me to go, and my primary reason not to release them is that the gifter might notice, that tells me it's bye-bye time. If it's possible, I would take them apart and remove the identifying elements, donating the parts. A thrift shopper will do something crafty with the parts or wholes, making something they love. If they can't be taken apart, and you remain concerned about the gifter, I would take them on my next road trip and put them in a different town's thrift shop or landfill them.

They are unframed prints so it's a simple recycle if necessary. I'll make the call before the week is out! I'm rearranging pictures this week to get all the good ones up in a more stylish way and disposing of a few. You would not know I Kondo-ed my house 18 months ago, there are so many little things that have hung on... ;)

mspym

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1369 on: October 14, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
This weekend's wins:

- Approximately 8 pairs of trousers that Ofpym has accepted he will never wear again - they are nice! but not his style- all went to the Vinnies that is chronically underserved for men's clothing, along with the Mulberry handbag. It seems appropriate since that is where I got the bag in the first place.

- My old futon base, which we replaced because we were perpetually cracking our ankle bones on the supports in the middle of the night, now forms two dog barriers - one between our house and the neighbours so she doesn't jump on the dividing wall to taunt the doberman next door, and the other can be placed in the basement door so we can work out with no risk of her getting loose and onto the street.

- 10 aged teatowels that were a bit oil stained and non absorbant have transitioned into the bike rag pile, freeing up space in the teatowel drawer for towels that actually dry and 3 washclothes are now repurposed for cleaning.

Wins all over the show.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1370 on: October 14, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »
Whoah, 8 pairs of trousers is huge. So much space.

mspym

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1371 on: October 14, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

He is a bit more of a hoarder than I am. What if he neeeeeeeds to build his own electric bass? Or identify the plants and gardening needs of coastal Savannah, despite living in Sydney for 8 years?

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1372 on: October 14, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »

He is a bit more of a hoarder than I am. What if he neeeeeeeds to build his own electric bass? Or identify the plants and gardening needs of coastal Savannah, despite living in Sydney for 8 years?

I have explained to hubby that should he decide to career change instead of retiring, some more up to date books to help him will be available in the library, but no go. These are 10 yrs old and were dated then.

Lincolnshire Girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1373 on: Today at 04:46:16 AM »
Currently decluttering ready for a house downsize next summer, from a 4 bed 2 bath to a 2 bed 1 bath as our youngest gets ready for uni.
Following for inspiration as we have approx 17 years of paperwork (house and business) to tackle. Rest of the house is pretty good as we're quite minimalist by nature.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1374 on: Today at 07:33:29 AM »
Did a big round of organizing/decluttering this weekend on many small areas/furtnitures in my apartment. I'm not sure exactly how much stuff went out, but I do notice how much nicer the spaces I dealt with look and that they're easier to use, which was the main goal.

As I close in on having managed most/all of my spaces, I need to set some time aside to assist my partner with his areas... He has identified the need, but could use some extra executive function for the task! We can't turn the heat on for the winter until we deal with the stuff piled right beside the heater, so there is a deadline...

Sugaree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1375 on: Today at 07:59:44 AM »
I so need this.  We have soooo much stuff.  DH is a collector of things.  Like he'll pick up stuff on the side of the road.  Sometimes he'll get winners, like the awesome globe bar carts (he managed to find two exactly the same in two different towns and between the two had everything to create one whole one) or the wooden easel for my son or the stained glass chandelier hanging in my dining room.  And sometimes....well....let's just say that he brought home 16 bowling balls one time (WTF?).  And I'm pretty sure he kept every toy he ever had so now my kid's playroom looks like Toys 'R' Us circa 1987 exploded.  I swear it's genetic.  His dad has four (?) storage units plus a full basement of stuff and my son is starting to show signs of it too.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a thrift store junkie myself, but I'm trying to restrict myself to things like clothes for my kid who won't stop growing. 

I did manage to sell an office chair that we don't have room for anymore.  Someone got a great deal on a pretty nice chair, I got it out of my house and got $20 to spend at the fall fest.  Win-win.  Now if I can sell the desk that went with the chair.  I think I paid $30 or $40 for it awhile back.  I wonder if I can get $20. 

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1376 on: Today at 08:23:07 AM »

I so need this.  We have soooo much stuff.  DH is a collector of things.  Like he'll pick up stuff on the side of the road.  Sometimes he'll get winners, like the awesome globe bar carts (he managed to find two exactly the same in two different towns and between the two had everything to create one whole one) or the wooden easel for my son or the stained glass chandelier hanging in my dining room.  And sometimes....well....let's just say that he brought home 16 bowling balls one time (WTF?).  And I'm pretty sure he kept every toy he ever had so now my kid's playroom looks like Toys 'R' Us circa 1987 exploded.  I swear it's genetic.  His dad has four (?) storage units plus a full basement of stuff and my son is starting to show signs of it too.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a thrift store junkie myself, but I'm trying to restrict myself to things like clothes for my kid who won't stop growing. 

I did manage to sell an office chair that we don't have room for anymore.  Someone got a great deal on a pretty nice chair, I got it out of my house and got $20 to spend at the fall fest.  Win-win.  Now if I can sell the desk that went with the chair.  I think I paid $30 or $40 for it awhile back.  I wonder if I can get $20. 

I had an aunt and uncle that were antique nuts. They stuffed this old house of theirs (2 floors) to the ceiling and had to move out. The stuff was probably worth tons of money but they hoarded it and never sold the stuff. I am sure the house temp was hot and humid in the summer and freezing in the winter. Eventually, the roof leaked and they didn't fix it. So you can imagine what a mess that is. If I had to guess the rotten old house is still filled with broken, worthless antiques now. Maybe you need to reign in your husband and discuss selling some of his treasures for profit. Encourage him to open a joint bank account that would be for the sale of these treasures. A future retirement fund. He has a good eye for finding these things, you could be the one to sell them. Or have a tag sale once a month, ebay, craigslist.

Sugaree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1377 on: Today at 08:33:10 AM »

I had an aunt and uncle that were antique nuts. They stuffed this old house of theirs (2 floors) to the ceiling and had to move out. The stuff was probably worth tons of money but they hoarded it and never sold the stuff. I am sure the house temp was hot and humid in the summer and freezing in the winter. Eventually, the roof leaked and they didn't fix it. So you can imagine what a mess that is. If I had to guess the rotten old house is still filled with broken, worthless antiques now. Maybe you need to reign in your husband and discuss selling some of his treasures for profit. Encourage him to open a joint bank account that would be for the sale of these treasures. A future retirement fund. He has a good eye for finding these things, you could be the one to sell them. Or have a tag sale once a month, ebay, craigslist.

I'm working on him.  The antiques in my house are the ones that we hand-picked to go in our house.  The storage units have the rest of them.  But that falls into FIL's realm and since he doesn't need the money he's more interested in keeping the stuff.  We know that we are going to have to deal with this stuff sooner or later, but that's not today's battle to fight. 

I think my next goal is going to be getting my kid's clothes/diapers/baby toys into the next round of consignment sales.  We debated awhile as to whether or not we're going to have another one and the answer seems to be no so it's time for all that stuff to go (I think MIL expects that we'll send a lot of stuff to BIL/SIL, but that's just not going to happen).  A lot of that stuff we bought used and should be able to get 75-80% of our money back on.  Especially on some of the diaper stuff. 

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1378 on: Today at 11:27:40 AM »
Working on my "June" box. Currently 13+ weeks pregnant so Mr. Pug and I really need to get the house decluttered before Puglet shows up next April!

We sold 2 floor lamps for $20 this weekend so it was nice to get some money in exchange for our "junk" I'll be putting my skis up soon and a bookshelf. Most other things will just be given away.

151 items donated
3 items sold

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1379 on: Today at 11:58:08 AM »
I took two shirts with me to my weekend visit with my friends. Each wanted one, so those are both out of the house. I also cleaned out some workout clothes that had shrunk & were too small at our vacation house. Another 4 items gone. I bought ski pants for our younger son, but then realized that we already had a pair that would work, so those are going back as well.

JanetJackson

• Bristles
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1380 on: Today at 12:11:29 PM »
I'm a minimalist at heart and excited to join this thread.
I've moved more times than I can count, so I've always kept my possessions down to two carloads at most, BUT I'm planning to buy a house in late 2019/early 2020 so I want to pare it down as much as I can, and get rid of things with bad energy (yep, that sounds woo woo when I type it out) or poor function.
I've already started this process prior to digging into this thread, so I'll start with planning.

To Do:
Update Capsule Wardrobe excel spreadsheet
Make Household item list spreadsheet (yes, I seriously want to do this)

Sell:
Leaf Blower (must clean up first)
Espresso machine
Bean Grinder (maybe just give away)

Clean out/Give Away:
Crafting/soap making items
Sort bins under bed
Make donation trip to local nonprofit thrift shop when I get two more bags or boxes (NOT Goodwill)

Yay!  Glad to join in!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1381 on: Today at 12:23:19 PM »
so now my kid's playroom looks like Toys 'R' Us circa 1987 exploded. 

I had saved a bunch of DS's toys - 1980s and 90s.  I wanted to give him the chance to decide what to keep (if anything) and what to get rid of.  My parents turfed all my stuff without asking during a move when I was 13, and I didn't want to do the same to him.  He used to call it the 'junk in the garage', until he decided to sell it.  He has made over $4000 selling this stuff - most of it went for way more than we ever paid for it originally.  His buyers seemed to either be grandparents, or millennials whose parents had turfed their toys, and they wanted them back.  Now DS calls the stuff I saved the 'goldmine in the garage'.   : )  There are still a few things out there, but we have kept them for our 'grandparents box'.  Grandson needs something to play with when he comes, and it's all new to him.   We went from about 10 big boxes to just one smaller one over the last two years.

Mr. SP got rid of his stamp collection finally.  This is huge!  He hadn't really paid any attention to it in years, but could not bear to part with it.  Then he saw DS getting rid of things and making money, and decided it was time.  3 huge tubs and 2 boxes of stamps gone to someone who was thrilled to buy them.  Buyer got a good deal, and we got half a closet back.

Sugaree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1382 on: Today at 12:34:49 PM »
My mom kept a lot of my stuff up until the time they tried to put the house on the market (2008...not the best time to try that) and then they threw out everything.  What was left fell victim to a mouse infestation a few years later.  I'm glad I got my Nintendos and stuff out when I moved into my first college apartment. 

The main problem that we're having with the toys is that they aren't really in great condition.   The Star Wars figures were held together by rubber bands that have dry-rotted.  I can see my husband die a little inside every time Luke Skywalker's torso becomes separated from his legs.