Author Topic: BBB: Do that Boring Buck-saving Busywork!  (Read 15782 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: BBB: Do that Boring Buck-saving Busywork!
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2022, 07:23:01 PM »
Called a utility company whose website is confusing because the autopay didn't happen. Turns out they are updating the website next week, so have a calendar item to try to set up autopay then. Hopefully the new site will not be confusing.

In the mean time, paid the bill to avoid late fees.

Turns out, they are updating their website*next* week. So, pushing off the boring chore for another bit, woo hoo!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2022, 01:02:14 PM »
Added rewards card to several online accounts so auto-pays will generate points.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2022, 07:52:48 PM »
Had an online order that qualified for free shipping.  Got half the order, and then they cancelled the rest of my order.  OK, no big deal.  I take a look at my credit card statement, and they had tacked a shipping fee on the minute they cancelled because now I didn't meet the threshold for free shipping.   Not my problem they let an order go through they shouldn't have.   Took a few minutes on the phone dealing with corporate B.S., but they finally reversed the charges.   Not a fortune, but I wonder how many other people they do that to who never notice?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 08:01:45 PM by Shinplaster »

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2022, 06:43:50 AM »
It’s coming up on the three week window where I can ask my deregulated energy supplier to refund me for my commodity gas costs for any month of the last twelve! My guess is that less than five percent of customers manage this but I am determined to do it (the lock in two year price was a good deal anyhow, especially now with gas markets in chaos mode).

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2022, 01:33:14 PM »
- Cancelled the Apple Music subscription before the free six months finished and they charged me.
- Activated the three free months of Spotify I got for using Bing three days in a row and set a reminder in my calendar to cancel that before I get charged.

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2022, 03:26:30 PM »
On a roll: cancelled another annual subscription in the tiny window between them reminding you they will renew and the charge hitting the card. Had to work through like six screens of "please hit the big brightly lit button not the sad small out of the way one" to do it.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2022, 05:31:20 PM »
We are selling stuff that we do not use. The kids digital piano, ukulele and  recorder got sold. We sold it for $250 in less than 24 hours. We figured that was a fair price because we bought it 7 years ago for less than $400 when DD wanted to learn how to play. Who knew that they are going for $800 now. But the best part of this was the Dad bought it for his cute 6 year old daughter. He was in complete awe that we threw in the ukulele and recorder.

Our attitude is go explore music kid.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2022, 08:29:30 PM »
tonight's thing sold is a Wii and all of its things. it never got played during the pandemic so we sold the whole thing for $100 to a few college kids to have fun this weekend. They told us it was the whole point of their party.

One more thing out of my house...and it goes to a good cause.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2022, 12:56:45 AM »
tonight's thing sold is a Wii and all of its things. it never got played during the pandemic so we sold the whole thing for $100 to a few college kids to have fun this weekend. They told us it was the whole point of their party.

One more thing out of my house...and it goes to a good cause.
Love that they sound like budding mustachians!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2022, 06:41:23 PM »
Opened a new bank account. Came home right away to set up transfers in and direct deposit. All done!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2022, 04:34:34 PM »
Called & dealt with erroneous gym charge, for my teens. I've been putting this off forever, as their emails kept bouncing, & they don't answer their phones (no voice mail). Finally just called 2x back to back, which is apparently the secret sauce.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2022, 05:12:43 PM »
Fixed a couple of screens myself instead of taking them to the hardware store or letting the landlord charge me for them. My least favorite diy task. Probably saved about $40.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2022, 05:31:49 PM »
Yesterday was chock full of house-related busywork: arranging a new lawn guy, sending I’m Concerned emails to the roofers, organising power and gas reconnections. So boring but all so necessary.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2022, 09:40:14 PM »
Washed, photographed and posted lots of old winter gear for sale. Wanted to clear space and pass things along at a decent price as we have enough.

Once the dust settles, looks like we might have $650 towards the ol’ travel fund.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2022, 10:37:27 PM »
Washed, photographed and posted lots of old winter gear for sale. Wanted to clear space and pass things along at a decent price as we have enough.

Once the dust settles, looks like we might have $650 towards the ol’ travel fund.
Nice! I might have to start getting on that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2022, 12:52:43 AM »
Used a free Chase IHG Rewards night to pay for a hotel room for my [estranged] sister last August. I looked at my CC statements recently and noticed two charges from the hotel, one for 12.00 and one for 52.20. Checked IHG website. It showed one charge of $19.20 and said "No receipt available." Huh? Called and questioned charges. After a long time on hold, I was told the 12.00  was for parking (as expected) and the 52.20 was an "error" aund would be refunded within 48 hours. Glad I followed up.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2022, 05:39:25 AM »
Used a free Chase IHG Rewards night to pay for a hotel room for my [estranged] sister last August. I looked at my CC statements recently and noticed two charges from the hotel, one for 12.00 and one for 52.20. Checked IHG website. It showed one charge of $19.20 and said "No receipt available." Huh? Called and questioned charges. After a long time on hold, I was told the 12.00  was for parking (as expected) and the 52.20 was an "error" aund would be refunded within 48 hours. Glad I followed up.

I had a hotel "accidentally" add a charge to my bill as well.  It pays to pay attention!

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2022, 08:51:43 AM »
I followed up with the insurance company  and received  two $60 credits for wellness/dental visits.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2022, 04:47:02 PM »
Got a second bill with a different balance than the first bill from my doctor's office. I had written a check for the first amount and it never cleared my bank. Before I paid the second bill, I checked the website. It says there's no balance. I called the office to see what was going on. I left a voicemail on Monday and still haven't heard back. Posting to be sure to follow up.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2022, 07:56:07 PM »
Got an email from the gas company that the rebate I applied for has been accepted and I should have a check in a few business days. The busy work paid off to the tune of $100!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2022, 06:09:44 AM »
I sent an appeal to my health insurance carrier regarding a denied claim and will follow up in a few days. I also disputed a charge from a medical provider.  If I prevail in both endeavors I will be $459 richer. 

Also I cancelled Netflix - just not getting much value out of it anymore. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2022, 12:24:35 PM »
Started a chat with the NZ power & gas company about my contract start date of 1/12 since we are not actually getting reconnected until 23/12. They updated the start date with no fuss saying, "We certainly wouldn't want you paying line charges prior to your reconnection dates." So that’s about $50 in daily connection charges avoided.

I’m also getting a random rebate from my health insurance company for $130 since so many people couldn’t use their services during our various lockdowns.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2022, 07:59:17 PM »
Got an email that a recurring order I no longer need is coming up. Couldn't get logged in to the site, tried to reset the password, finally caved and called. I was prepared to be on hold forever, go through a menu, spend lots of time explaining. I was pleasantly surprised to get a live person who cancelled my upcoming order even though it was due to come out today and cancelled all future orders WITHOUT ASKY WHY or trying to talk me into delaying or otherwise modifying the order. I was on the phone for less than two minutes and saved $175. So refreshing!

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2022, 10:52:08 PM »
I had purchased a kitchen's worth of new appliances for a new home building job. Turns out there was a sales promotion going on.
I put off finishing the online application because I needed the model # and serial # of each appliance and a copy of the receipt to upload.
I finally got all the serial numbers (I had to take a macro phone pic for some, the labels were so small!) and got up on a Monday and decided to finish the application and it was the last day to apply!
About $1,400.00 back.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2022, 09:30:18 AM »
Finally filled out the paperwork to move from a roboadvisor to a self-directed IRA.  I've not been happy with the RA's performance or cash drag for awhile.  But, of course, there's not an easy way to get out of it online.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2022, 12:58:26 PM »
Got a second bill with a different balance than the first bill from my doctor's office. I had written a check for the first amount and it never cleared my bank. Before I paid the second bill, I checked the website. It says there's no balance. I called the office to see what was going on. I left a voicemail on Monday and still haven't heard back. Posting to be sure to follow up.

They left me a voicemail saying they don't know what I'm talking about, my balance is zero. So I left another voicemail to please call me back because the check has still not cleared my bank account after 10 weeks...yet my balance is paid according to their records. That's $250 I would love to have back, but not to the detriment of this bill if they have an error in their system.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2023, 09:39:54 AM »
Found out that my smaller old HSA from a previous employer wasn't automatically consolidated into my current HSA despite being told that was standard policy during onboarding.  Called two different 800 numbers for the same HSA vendor to get info and find out how to consolidate.  Paperwork for that is being mailed today.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2023, 07:17:21 PM »
Verified account details and garaging address for auto insurance at renewal time. Still happy with their prices (essentially unchanged after a year).

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2023, 09:06:06 PM »
I recently completed paperwork for my flexible spending account, returned an expensive item that involved going in person to the post office and filling in international shipping forms, and paid a bill using a physical check that I mailed using various odd, low-denomination stamps to use them up and declutter my mailing supplies.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2023, 06:25:29 AM »
I sent an appeal to my health insurance carrier regarding a denied claim and will follow up in a few days. I also disputed a charge from a medical provider.  If I prevail in both endeavors I will be $459 richer. 

My appeals were denied so all my efforts just turned into boring busywork without the "buck-saving" part. Bummer.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2023, 08:13:06 PM »
Here's hoping this thread helps me, I have a significant list of "impossible" tasks stressing me out.

Today: set up this year's automated retirement contributions.

Soon: legal paperwork to finalize closure of a deceased relative's account I've put off for years, tax paperwork to prevent withholding on a new account, fixing my employer's stupid default retirement allocation. At least that's the stuff that seems manageable right now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2023, 08:23:32 PM »
I really, really need to call around for a better car/home insurance quote. I knew ours was no longer competitive, but adding a teen driver just about killed us. And, we have another one getting added in March, so I really need to get on this. Tracking here for motivation!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2023, 07:36:57 AM »

My appeals were denied so all my efforts just turned into boring busywork without the "buck-saving" part. Bummer.
Anecdotally, I hear many claims are denied on the first appeal, then eventually covered. Might it be worth another try?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2023, 07:37:22 AM »
I really, really need to call around for a better car/home insurance quote. I knew ours was no longer competitive, but adding a teen driver just about killed us. And, we have another one getting added in March, so I really need to get on this. Tracking here for motivation!
Do it!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2023, 07:57:47 PM »
Some of my tax paperwork came in the mail. Instead of opening the paperwork and stacking it on a surface somewhere, I logged in to the website I use and entered the information. Then I filed the paperwork away and put the envelope in the recycling bin. Task finished, no piles.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2023, 10:05:15 PM »
I applied for and was approved for Medicare. I then completed the necessary paperwork and turned it in to my husband's former employer so we can be on their retiree health program. I really struggled with this. When I was 21, I had a rare cancer that had a "propensity to recur". I am so happy to have grown old enough to qualify for Medicare with no recurrance, but it still felt weird.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2023, 08:45:21 PM »
Congrats, @Dicey! That sounds like more-than-boring busywork that will definitely pay off.

I've been inputting tax forms as they come in (both electronically and snail mail). In looking through tax stuff I found that I did pay the doctor's bill I was calling them repeatedly about. Forcefully struck off the list!

We got a COL raise at work. As soon as it was announced, I did the math and split the raise between my HSA and my IRA. First paycheck since the raise came in and I was only off by $8. I'm going to leave it and try not to get too hedonistically adapted :)

Finally called an electrician and got the ceiling fan installed. Now the heat from the fireplace and the central heat is pushed down. It will save me money in the long run and I used holiday gift money, so no OOP to save money.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2023, 07:52:08 PM »
While I haven't sorted at our insurance policies (DH agreed to pick up that task), I did call today & sent in a copy of our son's report card, which will save us $166/year for a good student discount. If we change policies, fine, but in the mean time, no need to be wasting money.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2023, 08:45:31 AM »
While doing my '22 taxes, I realized that I didn't include my property taxes when I filed in '21. I went back and did an amendment, $400 refund for about 15 min of work and a stamp on an envelope.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2023, 08:52:19 PM »
No direct money saved from this, but I filled out a form to change the registration of my bank account to be in the trust I set up recently. It was a lot of writing my own name and address over & over again! (settelor, trustee, beneficiary). In the long run, avoiding probate should save $$.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2023, 12:10:22 AM »
No direct money saved from this, but I filled out a form to change the registration of my bank account to be in the trust I set up recently. It was a lot of writing my own name and address over & over again! (settelor, trustee, beneficiary). In the long run, avoiding probate should save $$.
That deserves a gold star on your calendar!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2023, 12:43:24 AM »
That deserves a gold star on your calendar!

lol!

I need another calendar! ;)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2023, 09:42:39 PM »
I applied for and was approved for Medicare. I then completed the necessary paperwork and turned it in to my husband's former employer so we can be on their retiree health program. I really struggled with this. When I was 21, I had a rare cancer that had a "propensity to recur". I am so happy to have grown old enough to qualify for Medicare with no recurrence, but it still felt weird.
You're not going to believe this: Apparently I may have some retirement benefits* due to me from a previous employer. IIRC, I wasn't there long enough to be fully vested and I rolled over my 401k when I separated. However, by applying for Medicare, it triggered something and I just received a notice that I have an account valued at $12,410 with the previous employer, payable in a lump sum. Not going to hold my breath, but dang, wouldn't that be something? We shall see.

*Specifically "401k Profit Sharing Plan"

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »
@Dicey, I hope it comes through for you! That wins the thread :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2023, 06:56:43 PM »

Actually turned in the form over the weekend. First account successfully retitled to the trust!

Three other accounts from the list the lawyer gave me have been closed since October. I'm gonna stop churning accounts, I swear!

Next up: Vanguard.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2023, 07:08:05 PM »
Followed up with the NZ power company because we have yet to receive a bill from them and I was afraid fear that the meter reader was leaving little notes in the mailbox that we weren't getting because we aren't there and then our power would be disconnected.

Part A) I've confirmed we are ok to pay from an estimated billing until we can provide a reading, they know we are overseas and I have confirmation that they won't disconnect the supply. Yay for chat services.
Part B) Then I realised that while the gas meter is outside, the power meter is inside the back door. I double-checked the contract and they won't use a key they have without permission. I called and they are going to check to see if they have the key from the previous owner, I've given permission to use this if they have it, and if not then we have a lockbox with keys for this situation. Either way, I'll get an email. Yay for calling.

Let's call this BBB because oh boy is it expensive to get power/gas disconnected/reconnected.

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2023, 06:38:16 AM »
I need to do more of this.
What I have done:
I used someone's promo code and went from straight talk to Mint mobile, saved 1/2 of phone bill.

Tracking here for motivation the things I still need to deal with are:
-insurance (house and car)
-internet (fairly certain there is a lower rate)
-may get rid of netflix, have to look into it
-check my accounts for any yearly auto payments to make sure I'm not being charged for something dumb

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2023, 08:36:08 AM »
I applied for and was approved for Medicare. I then completed the necessary paperwork and turned it in to my husband's former employer so we can be on their retiree health program. I really struggled with this. When I was 21, I had a rare cancer that had a "propensity to recur". I am so happy to have grown old enough to qualify for Medicare with no recurrence, but it still felt weird.
You're not going to believe this: Apparently I may have some retirement benefits* due to me from a previous employer. IIRC, I wasn't there long enough to be fully vested and I rolled over my 401k when I separated. However, by applying for Medicare, it triggered something and I just received a notice that I have an account valued at $12,410 with the previous employer, payable in a lump sum. Not going to hold my breath, but dang, wouldn't that be something? We shall see.

Former employer called back and said  the account in question has a zero balance. Whomp, whomp. I was expecting this answer, because past me would never have lost track of that much money. When I get home, I'll dig into the archives. I suspect the amount refers to the unvested portion of my account, which I knew I was leaving behind. Shrug.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2023, 08:43:07 AM »
Noticed that our home insurance went up 50% (!). Called and got it knocked down a little, and paid car insurance in a lump sum to save 10% on that. $120 saved, but I really should call around for quotes on both.

Harris Teeter keeps having fuel points bonuses on buying gift cards, and they keep failing to post the bonus points.  I'm very annoyed, but I put in the effort to get the points because it saves us (me, mom, sister) about $35 when we use the points.  Which reminds me, I need to follow up on yesterday's points fiasco.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2023, 12:44:37 PM »

Former employer called back and said  the account in question has a zero balance. Whomp, whomp. I was expecting this answer, because past me would never have lost track of that much money. When I get home, I'll dig into the archives. I suspect the amount refers to the unvested portion of my account, which I knew I was leaving behind. Shrug.

Disappointed in the administrator set up that false flag.