Author Topic: Basic Emergency Preparedness  (Read 19463 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Basic Emergency Preparedness
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »
I bought a torch yesterday -- one of those super powerful ones with about a dozen LEDs powered by those big square 6V batteries so it should last for quite a long while, and for AU$10 it came with a spare battery. I'll now keep my eye out for a LED lantern that uses the same type of battery.

Is it nice and heavy? If yes, where did you buy it?

Adventures With Poopsie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Adventures with Poopsie
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2017, 06:47:08 PM »
Really enjoying this thread. Admittedly have not considered many of the points raised here- the luxury of never experiencing any type of disaster I suppose.

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 06:59:09 PM »
Good for you getting this started! Thanks for posting. I can use the kick in the pants. We moved 6 months ago and got rid of stock at that time. Recently I've been meaning to build the emergency stores back up.

I devised a great water solution using crap I have around the house already. Pre-kids I used to brew beer. I've been intending on selling the stuff... and then it dawned on me. Instead of selling food grade liquid storage containers and then buying other food grade liquid storage containers, I'm just going to fill the ones I already have. What?! That's about 5x5 = 25 or so gallons (100 L) of storage. Better than nothing. Good for starters. I'll follow the advice of my CERT trainer and replace the water every time I change the clock for daylight savings.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2017, 02:55:46 AM »
Water is always among the hardest, as it is heavy, takes up space and is prone to mold/algae unless its sterilized.

Villanelle - what is your climate like?  Are there freshwater streams/lakes nearby?  If so, a filter/sterilizer combo may be one brick in your emergency preparedness kit.  Certainly a pack of water treatment tablets (tiny, shelf stable and each good for a liter of water) can get you through a few days, though its bad for your health to use those for weeks on end.

A few cases of bottled water stored in a closet somewhere is another possibility. Unopened they don't go bad, though they'll taste plastic-y after a couple of years. At a bare minimum you want 2 liters per person per day (though 4 is much better and allows for cooking).  You can also jar your own using basic canning techniques, but I've never found that to be cost efficient.

When you have advanced warning you can fill just about anything with tap water and it will be fine to drink for several days.  Spaghetti pots, old 2-liter bottles, etc.

Interestingly, Anheiser-Busch distributes water in aluminum cans during natural disasters. They basically use their facilities to fill cans with tap water and then stockpile it throughout their distribution chain.  I really wonder why this isn't done more; I thick it would be easier to store a few cases of 12oz cans of water than those round plastic bottles of similar size.

I'm in pretty urban Tokyo, so definitely no streams or natural water sources nearby. I guess the solution is just to buy regular bottled water and find some place to store it, but it takes up so much space that way!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »
Water is always among the hardest, as it is heavy, takes up space and is prone to mold/algae unless its sterilized.

Villanelle - what is your climate like?  Are there freshwater streams/lakes nearby?  If so, a filter/sterilizer combo may be one brick in your emergency preparedness kit.  Certainly a pack of water treatment tablets (tiny, shelf stable and each good for a liter of water) can get you through a few days, though its bad for your health to use those for weeks on end.

A few cases of bottled water stored in a closet somewhere is another possibility. Unopened they don't go bad, though they'll taste plastic-y after a couple of years. At a bare minimum you want 2 liters per person per day (though 4 is much better and allows for cooking).  You can also jar your own using basic canning techniques, but I've never found that to be cost efficient.

When you have advanced warning you can fill just about anything with tap water and it will be fine to drink for several days.  Spaghetti pots, old 2-liter bottles, etc.

Interestingly, Anheiser-Busch distributes water in aluminum cans during natural disasters. They basically use their facilities to fill cans with tap water and then stockpile it throughout their distribution chain.  I really wonder why this isn't done more; I thick it would be easier to store a few cases of 12oz cans of water than those round plastic bottles of similar size.

I'm in pretty urban Tokyo, so definitely no streams or natural water sources nearby. I guess the solution is just to buy regular bottled water and find some place to store it, but it takes up so much space that way!

Being in Tokyo, I doubt you have a car, but for anyone else in an urban environment who does: we kept extra supplies in our car when we lived downtown. You need a car kit anyway, we just made it a little extra robust. It was in a parking spot in our building ($$$, but it was close and secure and we always had a spot at the weird hours we came and went).

All this to say- get creative if you need to! Our "coffee table" is an old travel trunk. We kept work and school papers in there, but could have easily kept emergency supplies out of the way.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »
Nah. My office has boxes filled with emergency food and water, maintained by people whose job it is to come up with response plans. If shit hits the fan, I'll just walk over there.

Water can also be boiled using a camping stove and/or tablets.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »
Nah. My office has boxes filled with emergency food and water, maintained by people whose job it is to come up with response plans. If shit hits the fan, I'll just walk over there.

Water can also be boiled using a camping stove and/or tablets.

If SHTF my National Guard unit would probably be activated. So after dropping my family off at my in-law's house I would head to the armory where there's plenty of supplies (and guns of course).

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »
Just tossing this out there after reading previous responses:

Cash.  Many disasters will completely disrupt the ability to use credit cards and take money out of an ATM (...no power... no mobile connections...).

As much as I hate keeping a "cash drag" its a good idea to keep a few hundred$ (or your currency's equivalent) on hand in small bills.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »

As much as I hate keeping a "cash drag" its a good idea to keep a few hundred$ (or your currency's equivalent) on hand in small bills.

Any home owner should keep 1000 bones cash on hand and its no drag. The gents doing work in the neighbors yard? Or other tradesmen in the neighborhood?  Cash in hand for some side work and you will like the price you get.   Cash can sometimes get you big purchases cheaper too from independent merchants that don't want to pay the credit card fees.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »
Anybody have thoughts on communications?

I'm considering picking up a set of FRS/GMRS radios that can run off of AAs and have channel privacy codes. My mom lives across town (about 2 miles), and we would stash two more in our bags. I'm not sure how much more robust the cell system is now than during the blackout, but I do remember very limited cell service (even SMS).

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »

I'm considering picking up a set of FRS/GMRS radios that can run off of AAs and have channel privacy codes. My mom lives across town (about 2 miles), and we would stash two more in our bags. I'm not sure how much more robust the cell system is now than during the blackout, but I do remember very limited cell service (even SMS).

I'm interested but have not purchased a police/ems scanner to listen for perhaps more useful news. Yes a lot of what they use is now encrypted so there is perhaps limited utility here.

Radio com is tough for amateurs. We use it boating... you agree to talk to your buddy Bob on say channel 36 and 15 minutes later he's changed channels accidentally or isn't listening anymore and you have no idea what channel he is on. Heck you can text him and he might not know! (or, he is busy on 16 listening to the train-wreck of the coastguard trying to save someone despite themselves.) oh, and there is the thing if you hold down talk while waiting to hear a response, well, you never will.

Without the chaos of an actual emergency people just seem to have a hard time being able to check in on the same channel at the designated time. 

Of course, we are assuming everyone is getting the appropriate FCC license. :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2017, 07:49:12 PM »
I decided today that once we get our next place to live (hopefully soon), I will create a closet just for our emergency supplies. It will include an inflatable raft. (And yes, definitely communications stuff, but I don't know what yet.)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »
I know this thread is general preparedness, but the specific items I have/ need to obtain are:
1. a one-way valve for giving CPR, because you don't know what bugs someone else has

2. Something to smash windows with - I've seen a tiny hammer thing on tv years ago and it's occurred to me that at some point my child will sleep in their own room, and I'd like to be able to break into their room from the outside in the event of a fire.

3. Put a small roll of cling wrap in the first aid kit. Good for covering wounds.

No, your reply is exactly the kind of thing I'm after: specific steps you're taking to improve your preparedness for the issues you as an individual are worried about.

Tiny window smasher is a great idea. If you want something multipurpose, a big mallet is useful for closing paint tins and staking fruit trees, as well as smashing windows ;-) but I definitely want a tiny window smasher for my glovebox. Or maybe a heavy torch that could be used as such...

The metal brackets on a car's head rest work too.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2017, 08:12:26 PM »
I know this thread is general preparedness, but the specific items I have/ need to obtain are:
1. a one-way valve for giving CPR, because you don't know what bugs someone else has

2. Something to smash windows with - I've seen a tiny hammer thing on tv years ago and it's occurred to me that at some point my child will sleep in their own room, and I'd like to be able to break into their room from the outside in the event of a fire.

3. Put a small roll of cling wrap in the first aid kit. Good for covering wounds.

No, your reply is exactly the kind of thing I'm after: specific steps you're taking to improve your preparedness for the issues you as an individual are worried about.

Tiny window smasher is a great idea. If you want something multipurpose, a big mallet is useful for closing paint tins and staking fruit trees, as well as smashing windows ;-) but I definitely want a tiny window smasher for my glovebox. Or maybe a heavy torch that could be used as such...

GOOD POINT.

Are you following me around the forum telling me things I need to know? Because that's how it feels right now :-P

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

GOOD POINT.

Are you following me around the forum telling me things I need to know? Because that's how it feels right now :-P

Eeek!

Marty does tell me I'm bossy...

:D

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2017, 08:58:12 PM »

GOOD POINT.

Eeek!

It's working! So keep doing it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2017, 11:32:14 PM »

During emergency situations, don't count on the local mobile (GSM/CDMA) networks to be operational. Assume best case scenario under worst case conditions to be SMS functioning with high latency and slow delivery. I speak of this with experience from being out in the thick of the May 31st 2013 El Reno tornado and working in EmComm network support for a while. With this in mind, considering the newer software available...

On top of just owning an FRS/GPRS radio, one of my favorite new apps for Android is called Serval Mesh from the Serval Project. It's basically a local ad-hock WiFi/Bluetooth mesh network app that enables VoIP calls, texting and file sharing on Android handsets that's completely network independent, utilizes your existing phone number for contact, and the app can be easily shared to other phones for install. Works best on a rooted device running third party firmware like LineageOS or Resurrection Remix, as then you can use your phone as a node in the mesh network. Given most unrooted Android devices can't act as WiFi mesh nodes (they can only connect to), Bluetooth is a good networking fallback (and why it's included). I may be one of the last remaining Windows Phone users on the planet day to day, but the BOB/GoBag now has a cheap MotoE running Ressurection Remix loaded with Serval Mesh specifically for this purpose. I deeply dislike Android, but it is at least good for something.

Couple that with an amateur radio license (which you should get for the FRS/GPRS radio anyway), pick up a couple compatible UBNT AirOS devices (such as the NanoStation LocoM or Bullet), and set up both a fixed point and possibly a portable AREDN node or two to help build up a data mesh network for your area. You can do simpler WiFi mesh networking with cheap TPLink equipment and OpenWRT, but a radio license and the AREDN option opens up bands for traffic that couldn't otherwise be used in crowded airspace for trunking between nodes and provides additional EmComm infrastructure.

Of course, all this relies on having power available, so keep around some solar chargers and batteries as well. Also, this is post-disaster communications. KISS. Don't depend on two-way in the middle of the madness. Coordinate in advance.

As for the FRS/GPRS equipment, understand that "channel privacy codes" don't mean much. It's not actual encryption and not actually private, it's just a tone filter to filter out possible cross-chatter on the same band from other users.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:43:30 PM by I.P. Daley »

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 06:03:29 AM »
Radio com is tough for amateurs. We use it boating... you agree to talk to your buddy Bob on say channel 36 and 15 minutes later he's changed channels accidentally or isn't listening anymore and you have no idea what channel he is on. Heck you can text him and he might not know! (or, he is busy on 16 listening to the train-wreck of the coastguard trying to save someone despite themselves.) oh, and there is the thing if you hold down talk while waiting to hear a response, well, you never will.

Without the chaos of an actual emergency people just seem to have a hard time being able to check in on the same channel at the designated time. 

Of course, we are assuming everyone is getting the appropriate FCC license. :)

Did FRS radios suddenly require an FCC license? My first job was in communications for a school district, so we had big radios and licenses and all that. I remember when FRS first came out, and one of the selling points was that you didn't need a license.

We've both used radios before, so I don't think we'd have trouble coordinating and not being stupid. I'd probably type up a procedure (i.e. try to make contact during the first 15 minutes of the hour, start on X channel and go down the list until you find one that isn't in use).

Of course, all this relies on having power available, so keep around some solar chargers and batteries as well. Also, this is post-disaster communications. KISS. Don't depend on two-way in the middle of the madness. Coordinate in advance.

As for the FRS/GPRS equipment, understand that "channel privacy codes" don't mean much. It's not actual encryption and not actually private, it's just a tone filter to filter out possible cross-chatter on the same band from other users.

I just received my 2200mAh solar battery last week, and the radios I was looking at are rechargeable (micro USB) or AA compatible. I understand the privacy codes don't mean "private," I just want to be able to avoid cross-chatter.

It's not so much for complex communications, but would be more for checking in and making sure everything is cool.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2017, 08:17:10 AM »

Did FRS radios suddenly require an FCC license?
[/quote]

FRS no, GMRS technically requires a licensee in your group.   With some experience, radios are a great tool.

/libertarian rant/
 I would certainly hope in a true emergency/natural disaster the authorities are more concerned with looters than your mom broadcasting an occasional check in message on the GMRS instead of FRS.
/end libertarian rant/

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
My husband has always laughed at my annual hurricane prep in June.  After Harvey, he's not laughing anymore!  We didn't flood, but our streets and the neighborhoods around us did.  We were stuck in the neighborhood for 5 days.  Some of our neighbors were without power for days. 

Thanks to Harvey, I'm upgrading my emergency kit to include:

a) a small ax and a white towel in the attic (so if we retreat to the attic and floodwaters follow us, we can get to the roof and wave for help)
b) I downloaded the Zello app to my phone - this was in widespread use for amateur water rescues and helped save several of my friends
c) Rubber boots
d) a set of face masks and work gloves - it was near impossible to find these in stores after the flood waters subsided.  We came out relatively unscathed, so we volunteered to help others.  So many volunteers didn't have proper PPE like this while they were tearing out moldy drywall and carpets.  We happened to have some for a home project we'd been working on, so we were protected.
e) a big tarp, in case a leak develops in the roof.

Important item my neighbors forgot to have in their emergency supplies -- extra toilet paper!

When the stores reopened after the flooding, bread, milk, and eggs were hot items.  I always keep several loaves of bread in the freezer and several cans of evaporated milk in the pantry, so we were good.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2017, 06:00:54 AM »
GOOD POINT.

Eeek!

It's working! So keep doing it.

She knows everything this girl. I only had to complain down the phone that I lost my apple id / password and within 15 seconds she'd reset it for me.

I would have sat there for days fuming and getting frustrated with why Apple wants to know everything about me including my credit card before letting me download a bloody free app.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2017, 06:12:49 PM »
Doing something easy and less obvious this week: writing down phone numbers on paper. Given I only know three or four phone numbers by heart, having a backup system is a very good idea.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2017, 07:27:06 AM »
Doing something easy and less obvious this week: writing down phone numbers on paper. Given I only know three or four phone numbers by heart, having a backup system is a very good idea.

Loved this idea. Printed wallet cards for both DH and I with the #s for our family members, closest friends, and neighbors we know. Just did tiny print and them I'm taping them all together as a 'fake laminated' approach. I'll do 2 more today, to put into our emergency packs. Also printed a big size one out for inside our cupboard at home.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »
I'm struggling with water.  We have a bug out bag with a very small amount of water in it, and a water purification straw, but I'd like to have more water lest we have to shelter in place for a while.

We have a ton of food in our pantry, and a grill on which to cook it if we stay in our home.  And our bag has some shelf stable survival bars.  I tasted one and they are palatable.  Not yummy, but if I've resorted to eating them, I doubt culinary delights will be much on my mind. 

Kit has a bunch of other stuff--fire starter, flashlight/radio/charger (solar and hand crank), thermal blanket, small basic tent, first aid kit, basic sanitation items, and a bunch of other small stuff.  Really, I think water is the one place we are weak.  Our freezer is larger than we need so I do keep a lot of frozen water in there to make it more efficient, so that's probably a day or two's worth if we need it, I guess.  Husband would likely be taken care of (military, and would likely be put to work in most disasters and thus fed and watered), but I hate to count on that. 

After living through the 3/11 quake in Japan and the aftermath (though I was far enough away to thankfully be spared from any real danger or damage), I'm a bit paranoid about these things.  We don't have a water heater for our home (military housing and to be honest I have no idea where our hot water comes from, but there's no water heater in our unit) and our toilet tanks were growing mold so I've had to put bleach tablets in them, unfortunately.  (Yes, it was actually molding inside the tank.) 

Also, in one move or another, I seem to have lost my potassium iodide tables, prescribed to me when the cloud shifted and we had increase radiation in my 'hood.  Unlikely I'd need them, perhaps, but I was holding on to them just in case.  Damn.

Had never read about potassium iodide, although it makes a ton of sense- it's literally the opposite to what we do (as in healthcare professionals, I haven't personally given it to anyone) with overactive thyroid tissues, where we GIVE radioactive iodine to kill the tissue off.

Also of note: you can buy it online. There's a really high dose one called "iOSAT". 14 day supply for $8. Given recent climate and some ah... details about my geography I won't divulge, I think this is a pretty good idea for us, so that'll go in the kit.

In my area potassium iodide is distributed for free by the government to minors. Adults can buy it at the pharmacy for pretty cheap and it's recommended people do so. We live in a 50-mile radius of two untrustworthy nuclear facilities. They are not in my country, so our government can't do anything about it except hand out potassium iodide and pressure the neighbouring government.

The good thing is, we live in the one of the few areas of our country not sensitive to flooding.

I keep bottled water in the pantry, currently for 3 days, which is the official recommendation. I'm planning on increasing that to a week, just in case. Bottled water costs next to nothing. I just need to put up a bit more shelving in the pantry.

We keep canned foods in stock that we use anyway, things like kidneybeans, sweetcorn, fish. We have wet wipes (great idea) too and plenty of batteries and power banks (s/o is a tech geek with a phobia of being offline)

I'm a quilter so we have more than enough blankets. We also have camping and hiking gear.

I'm working on getting some more cash in the house. We're not used to paying with cash but in case of emergency having cash is great.

The emergency contact details are a great idea too! I only know my grandma's phone number by heart because she hasn't changed it since I was a kid. My partner's phone number is written down in my diary. I don't actually have phone numbers for anyone on his side of the family. I know them and see them a lot, but we each deal with staying in contact with our own families.

Still a lot of work to do, thanks for inspiring me!

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
I haven't seen this or maybe I missed it, but a tarp is always good to have for shelter from rain - I had a big thunderstorm that pulled down a tree onto the roof once. Putting up a tarp saved the insides and us from the water. I saw a picture from the hurricanes with some woman using an inflatable mattress to float her cats and a tarp to keep herself warm. Clever stuff to have.

I find that a well-supplied toolbox is also useful. When I was small there was a tornado that came through my town. We sheltered in an inside closet. My dad had to break down the door with a hammer to get us out afterward because of damage to the house caused it to sit poorly. I keep a hammer in my closet now even though I'm out of tornado area.

Sapphire

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2017, 12:52:06 AM »

Love this idea.  If not for an emergency, then it is very helpful if I drop my phone into water again...sigh!

My neighbourhood recently had the water turned off for 7 hours or so due to some sort of problem and it made me very aware of how vulnerable we were.  I've been buying 10 litre (2.6 gallon) containers of water from my local supermarket - they stack pretty well and have a handle so they are not too difficult to carry or move around.  I have decided I will keep at least 8 of them on hand which would give the family about 5 days supply of water in an emergency.

I'm pretty lucky that where I live is generally reasonably unscathed by most natural disasters.  However I do worry about the food supply chain being disrupted (eg, power blackouts, transport strikes etc) so am working on getting about 2 weeks supply of food in the house.  It's all stuff we normally eat, so as we use something up in the kitchen, the replacement comes from the back pantry and the back pantry gets the new item.  In the old days, our supermarkets used to keep things "out the back".  Nowadays, most supermarkets work on daily deliveries so if there is no delivery, there is no "out the back" to fall back on.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
I think that disruption of the food supply is the biggest risk for everyone. Even if you don't live in an area that's sensitive to natural disaster (although freak unexpected disasters can always happen, however low the chances) many other places are sensitive to disaster, political unrest, war, and in our globalized economy we are dependent on them. Once the supply chain is cut somewhere, another place is running out of staples soon. And yes, because many companies now keep very little stock, a few days of disruption causes a lot more trouble than it used to. Every time the local water supply is having trouble anywhere in my country, all the stores in the wide area run out of bottled water within the hour. Now, normally we're talking about small scale problems and the local authorities generally have an alternative method of providing drinking water set up within 12 hours, but if that didn't happen, there'd be massive problems. It's shocking that many people need to run to the store when their water is unexpectedly down for 12 hours.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »
I think that disruption of the food supply is the biggest risk for everyone. Even if you don't live in an area that's sensitive to natural disaster (although freak unexpected disasters can always happen, however low the chances) many other places are sensitive to disaster, political unrest, war, and in our globalized economy we are dependent on them. Once the supply chain is cut somewhere, another place is running out of staples soon. And yes, because many companies now keep very little stock, a few days of disruption causes a lot more trouble than it used to. Every time the local water supply is having trouble anywhere in my country, all the stores in the wide area run out of bottled water within the hour. Now, normally we're talking about small scale problems and the local authorities generally have an alternative method of providing drinking water set up within 12 hours, but if that didn't happen, there'd be massive problems. It's shocking that many people need to run to the store when their water is unexpectedly down for 12 hours.

Yes, pictures of empty store shelves are pretty much universal anytime there's a disaster or supply chain disruption. And while having some sort of water filtration system could help it doesn't do you any good if there's no water to filter (i.e. in the desert) or if the primary water supply is contaminated with something that can't be filtered out. I'm reminded of a chemical spill somewhere on the east coast a few years ago. I can't remember if it was a pipeline, railcar, or something else but there was a chemical that got into the river which provided drinking water for the community. The chemical was water soluble and therefore could not be removed with any sort of conventional filter that would might use if camping or backpacking. The only solution was to have bottled water and then to wait a few weeks for the concentration of the chemical to drop to safe levels.

We keep probably 10-20 gallons in our garage in old plastic juice bottles (milk jugs don't last, different kind of plastic). Plus another case or two of bottled water. I would be tempted to buy a large 55-gallon plastic drum but it would be almost impossible to move once full if we needed to leave whereas a bunch of jugs of water can easily be thrown in a vehicle in minutes. Same with a couple of boxes of old MREs. Also those cost about $100 while the old plastic juice containers are free.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
For US people- Costco has bottled water $2 off flats right now, so I got one of their huge flats (24 bottles? I think?) for like $2.25 So that's like 12L total of water unless my math is totally skewed, and all plastic wrapped together for easy storage and movement.

Some of the first aid kit items I had put on subscribe and save with amazon are shipping out this week, so I'll replenish my gauze stores (went ahead and bought non sterile 4x4s, I'll separate it into baggies), and butterfly bandages, and a SAM splint type item (off brand, but same idea) and some individual packets of triple antibiotic ointment. In my cart, waiting on ordering (good frugal pause there) is oral rehydration salts, the potassium iodide tablets, the blood clotting powder, and drinking water purification tablets.

It's coming together. Once everything arrives, I need to haul out both car kits and our packs and divvy up supplies between them (and reorganize).

It's amazing to me how much EMT supplies you can just BUY online. You can even buy emergency airways and suture kits and... it's kinda crazy!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
For US people- Costco has bottled water $2 off flats right now, so I got one of their huge flats (24 bottles? I think?) for like $2.25 So that's like 12L total of water unless my math is totally skewed, and all plastic wrapped together for easy storage and movement.

Some of the first aid kit items I had put on subscribe and save with amazon are shipping out this week, so I'll replenish my gauze stores (went ahead and bought non sterile 4x4s, I'll separate it into baggies), and butterfly bandages, and a SAM splint type item (off brand, but same idea) and some individual packets of triple antibiotic ointment. In my cart, waiting on ordering (good frugal pause there) is oral rehydration salts, the potassium iodide tablets, the blood clotting powder, and drinking water purification tablets.

It's coming together. Once everything arrives, I need to haul out both car kits and our packs and divvy up supplies between them (and reorganize).

It's amazing to me how much EMT supplies you can just BUY online. You can even buy emergency airways and suture kits and... it's kinda crazy!

I learned how to give an IV as part of a combat lifesaver course in the Army. Granted it was about a decade ago so I might be a bit rusty but with the right equipment it's pretty simple. Unfortunately, IV fluid, even simple saline, is considered a prescription item and is therefore not available for purchase by the general public. Plus it goes bad after a while. I suppose administering an IV to someone else would be violating some law or regulation but obviously I wouldn't be all that concerned if it were a family member and it was an emergency situation.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2017, 11:40:49 AM »

I learned how to give an IV as part of a combat lifesaver course in the Army. Granted it was about a decade ago so I might be a bit rusty but with the right equipment it's pretty simple. Unfortunately, IV fluid, even simple saline, is considered a prescription item and is therefore not available for purchase by the general public. Plus it goes bad after a while. I suppose administering an IV to someone else would be violating some law or regulation but obviously I wouldn't be all that concerned if it were a family member and it was an emergency situation.

Yeah, that's one I had thought about. I'm an RN, so obviously do know how to do an IV. Not in my scope of practice without an order though. But yes, for back country stuff and remote drives (which we do pretty often) I find myself wishing for that part of a kit.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2017, 01:43:53 PM »
In a pinch you can inject coconut water into people instead of saline.  Both the allies and Japanese did this in WWII in the pacific.  I think that I remember the rejection rate being very low, below 2%.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2017, 02:20:37 PM »
In a pinch you can inject coconut water into people instead of saline.  Both the allies and Japanese did this in WWII in the pacific.  I think that I remember the rejection rate being very low, below 2%.

Cool!!!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Basic Emergency Preparedness
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2017, 03:23:41 AM »
For those storing water in old cleaned juice containers, what kind of juice containers are you talking about?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2017, 04:47:10 AM »

The one thing I'm undecided on is heat and cooking. My number one concern is a power-out winter storm. I'm looking at propane or kerosene heaters that we could set up on our brick fireplace, they all have safety features, but fire is still a concern. We're having the fireplace cleaned/inspected, but I'm less enthusiastic about keeping sufficient wood on hand versus a tank (or several) of fuel for a heater. Also considering camp stoves, but again, fire. We could conceivably use our private courtyard (buying a grill might make sense) for cooking even in winter, but I'd be a little worried about the amount of cold air we let in coming and going. I'm still working on that one.

Considering keeping some extra gas for the car on hand, but it would need to be rotated through semi-regularly. I couldn't realistically keep more than a couple gallons on hand.

If you aren't keen on a wood burning fireplace to begin with consider having it converted to natural gas especially if your furnace already runs on it.  Unlike furnaces that are now electricity dependent, my natural gas fireplace's light switch only completes a circuit so it still runs during a power outage which happened last March.  The fireplace while defiantly not energy efficient kept my house in the 50s-60s while others were down to 40s and below.

I don't need to worry about cooking, again I have a gas stove so all I need is matches as a substitute for the electric start.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2017, 05:58:09 AM »

The one thing I'm undecided on is heat and cooking. My number one concern is a power-out winter storm. I'm looking at propane or kerosene heaters that we could set up on our brick fireplace, they all have safety features, but fire is still a concern. We're having the fireplace cleaned/inspected, but I'm less enthusiastic about keeping sufficient wood on hand versus a tank (or several) of fuel for a heater. Also considering camp stoves, but again, fire. We could conceivably use our private courtyard (buying a grill might make sense) for cooking even in winter, but I'd be a little worried about the amount of cold air we let in coming and going. I'm still working on that one.

Considering keeping some extra gas for the car on hand, but it would need to be rotated through semi-regularly. I couldn't realistically keep more than a couple gallons on hand.

If you aren't keen on a wood burning fireplace to begin with consider having it converted to natural gas especially if your furnace already runs on it.  Unlike furnaces that are now electricity dependent, my natural gas fireplace's light switch only completes a circuit so it still runs during a power outage which happened last March.  The fireplace while defiantly not energy efficient kept my house in the 50s-60s while others were down to 40s and below.

I don't need to worry about cooking, again I have a gas stove so all I need is matches as a substitute for the electric start.

We had a multi day power outage a couple years ago . . . It was cold (-20) and icy outside but we were able to keep the house warm enough to avoid frozen pipes by burning safety candles.  I did some BBQing outside (after digging the snow and ice off) to cook food.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2017, 07:42:35 AM »
For those storing water in old cleaned juice containers, what kind of juice containers are you talking about?

Treetop apple juice containers. It's clear hard plastic. I'd have to go look at the number on the bottom to see what kind. I've had some for a couple of years and they seem to be doing fine.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2017, 08:24:40 AM »
Motivated by this thread, I bought a couple of additional cases of bottled water, got plastic sheeting and duct tape for sheltering in place, went by the ATM to replenish our supply of cash on hand, and added superglue and water purification tablets in the first aid kit I carry in my purse.

Any idea how concerned I need to be about the expiration dates on the quick clot sponge and potassium iodide tablets in our 72 hour kit?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2017, 08:40:42 AM »
Motivated by this thread, I bought a couple of additional cases of bottled water, got plastic sheeting and duct tape for sheltering in place, went by the ATM to replenish our supply of cash on hand, and added superglue and water purification tablets in the first aid kit I carry in my purse.

Any idea how concerned I need to be about the expiration dates on the quick clot sponge and potassium iodide tablets in our 72 hour kit?

Strictly speaking, I should advise any medication be properly disposed of at expiration date. But if we were to talk about this theoretically, ahem, I would assume potassium iodide would be quite stable, as it is a salt technically, and that exact structural stability is how it functions in the thyroid.

Quickclot is koalin, which is an inorganic mineral apparently. Given then that it's a structural function vs a biochemical trigger, I would guess it would be very shelf stable.

Full disclosure: it's been a lot of years since I've taken chemistry =)

FI4good

• Stubble
  • EU citizen
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »
Hi All ,
 I've ordered the modern survival manual by Fernando Aguirre so i'll maybe post some more once i've absorbed some of that . 

With the UK and brexit i think it's worthwhile to be prepared for some civil disorder, disruption to food supplies maybe a financial crises.

Regards ,
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:28:56 AM by FI4good »

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sapphire

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2017, 04:06:55 PM »
... It's shocking that many people need to run to the store when their water is unexpectedly down for 12 hours.

Guilty...but I am a fast learner... ;)

We are well stocked now so won't need to do a run to the store.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »
An emergency here is likely to mean an Earthquake without warning. Wood frame houses should likely do all right, but if not I expect to have to dig myself and my supplies out from under a pile of drywall and 2 x 4's. As a person who also does camping/backpacking I don't really do anything special to be prepared for emergencies.

Water: is the hardest thing to get. There's a sizeable creek a couple blocks away so I don't store any water. I do have a water filter as well as a Whisperlite Universal camp stove which should provide two ways to get water. https://www.rei.com/product/830342/msr-whisperlite-universal-backpacking-stove burns white gas, unleaded gas, canisters...and more so there should be plenty of fuel. I have a gallon of white gas and some canisters that I use for backpacking so the gallon isn't always a full gallon, but hey....it burns unleaded so there's always the gas in the lawnmower, the car, the gas can for the lawnmower....

The stove is stored on an outside wall so it shouldn't be too much effort to dig out.

Food: Sometimes I have some backpacking meals on hand....most times I don't. I usually have a bunch of dried pasta, canned pears, other things in the cupboards, etc. Pasta sauce is in glass jars so it seems there's a high likelihood of them falling out of the cupboard and breaking..Might be eating my pasta without sauce :( In any case plan a) would be to eat all the perishable refrigerated/frozen goods in the first day or 3 depending on how long things stay frozen before breaking into the cupboards. At any given time I estimate there is a couple weeks or a month of non-perishables in my cupboards in containers that are not likely to break. Not to mention the possibility of there being a good portion of a 50 lb bag of rice from Costco.

Shelter/staying dry/not freezing to death. I keep my old sleeping bag in the car. The car is in the driveway, not the garage...that sleeping bag should be accessible and dry. It's also great for if the car breaks down in the winter in the middle of nowhere. Also great if my other, preffered sleeping bag is buried somewhere inaccessible or it gets wet before I dig it out. I don't store it as smartly as the stove...

First aid, other essentials, etc. All my regular camping stuff. Any list of camping essentials is likely to be good enough for an emergency as well. Camping sites/lists of 10 essentials may be of great use here. Bonus: This stuff is usually portable because people are planning to carry everything they need to live around on their back. I keep all this stuff stored permanently in my backpack which is stored near my stove so I can dig it all out at the same time.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2017, 05:21:02 AM »
I want to thank this thread for existing! I’ve finally started an emergency kit and I feel very responsible about it :)

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2017, 06:24:01 AM »
PTF. Planning to read the whole thread when I have time.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »

Something about that phrasing for an emergency preparedness thread.  Yeah... been meaning to get around to it... someday...

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »

Something about that phrasing for an emergency preparedness thread.  Yeah... been meaning to get around to it... someday...

It helped me to start small: food, water, first aid kit. I’m now filling in the blanks.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2017, 09:38:23 AM »

It helped me to start small: food, water, first aid kit. I’m now filling in the blanks.
Like most things, I suspect that you’ll get ~80% of the benefit/preparedness doing the most easiest and most basic things. Most people don’t even do that much (and inevitably suffer somewhat when disaster strikes).  Each successive ‘level’ takes a much bigger amount of resources and is less likely to be needed.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »

Like most things, I suspect that you’ll get ~80% of the benefit/preparedness doing the most easiest and most basic things. Most people don’t even do that much (and inevitably suffer somewhat when disaster strikes).  Each successive ‘level’ takes a much bigger amount of resources and is less likely to be needed.

Really, most people just don't know how to use what they have or don't know where to put it. No need to spend money when you already have what you need. If you have a spare set of gym shoes you should probably throw them in the trunk of your car. If you plan to hide in a closet for a tornado make sure you keep a blanket in there. Don't play the eat everything in your house challenges and you have a fresh food supply of things you eat right in your house at all times. Learn how to macgyver a temporary oven if you're a hot food house. Knowledge is really more important than stuff in a disaster.