Author Topic: August: Commit to an Exercise Program  (Read 7056 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
August: Commit to an Exercise Program
« on: July 15, 2018, 06:29:12 AM »
I will be starting P90X on July 30th (it's a Monday, close enough to August...). Who else wants to do something similar in August?

Doing this is going to kick my ass in a good way. I've basically become a complete couch potato type of person at this point in my life.

Who else wants in on this?

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
Re: August: Commit to an Exercise Program
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »
I have started doing basic, very basic, weight training.  I think the video is titled "Absolute Beginners!"  It's still a challenge for me!  In all events, it's a dumbbell routine with some ab crunches at the end.  I'm trying to do alternating days, 3x per week.  As a male closing in on age 50, this is something I need to do.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:02 AM »
I'm in! I am starting the Zuzka Light Bunny Slope (beginner's Workout) She has quick 20 min or less workouts but they are really intense.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 07:49:30 AM »
I started this a week ago - have done now 7 exercises with P90X. I feel good about it.

Though I cannot do even close to the full workout for some of them :(

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 10:41:07 AM »
I started this a week ago - have done now 7 exercises with P90X. I feel good about it.

Don't worry about not getting through the full workout. Keep with it and you will be astounded at how much better you get through it by the end.... especially with that damn Ab Ripper!

Oroadsm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:46:32 AM »
I have started doing basic, very basic, weight training.  I think the video is titled "Absolute Beginners!"  It's still a challenge for me!  In all events, it's a dumbbell routine with some ab crunches at the end.  I'm trying to do alternating days, 3x per week.  As a male closing in on age 50, this is something I need to do.

This is my plan, as I passed 50 last year.  Finally committing to light dumbbell work, some pushups and crunches.  I dream of doing some pull ups, but I have a lo of work to do to get there.  Cardio only no longer does the job on my weight.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »

Don't worry about not getting through the full workout. Keep with it and you will be astounded at how much better you get through it by the end.... especially with that damn Ab Ripper!

Oh yeah, most of them are intense enough I have to take care. I didn't finish the Plyometrics or Yoga workouts the first week. I only realized at the end the Ab Ripper one was right after the videos, so I only suffered through that once.. or more like 1/3 of a time :P

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
Oh my God the Ab Ripper workout is no joke. I did it a few times and couldn't believe how sore I was after. I could barely get out of bed the next day lol.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:36:54 PM »
I just started within the last couple of days trying to walk more and today was the first day of doing Julian's 30 day shred.  I could barely do 2 minutes. It is time to get in shape.  You made me pull out the P90x set. hmmm.  Of course, I wont be able to do much of it so may stick with the 30 day shred but I am contemplating since p90x has a variety of moves and works different muscles everyday. 

Either way, I am in for August. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 01:54:37 PM »
I just started within the last couple of days trying to walk more and today was the first day of doing Julian's 30 day shred.  I could barely do 2 minutes. It is time to get in shape.  You made me pull out the P90x set. hmmm.  Of course, I wont be able to do much of it so may stick with the 30 day shred but I am contemplating since p90x has a variety of moves and works different muscles everyday. 

Either way, I am in for August.

Yeeahhhh P90x is pretty intense for me. In a good way though, so far :)

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 02:12:59 PM »
I've joined a gym, which does not have regular gym machines or classes but instead offer training in gymnastic, aerial silk, free running and parkour.  I normally hate gym, but these look fun enough to make me want to join.  The only down side is after their 2 hrs intro class,  I'm now experiencing intense DOMS and need to rest for a few days. Hopefully the pain will subside soon so I can get back in action.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 05:03:02 PM »
I'm in. Was speaking with some members of my family and we are doing a daily activity challenge for August, so I will be double-y accountable!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 07:03:50 AM »
I've been doing a bodyweight program alternating arm days and legs days and doing abs 2 days on and 1 day off since that's easier for me. I'm hoping to start going to a dance class too. And maybe jogging with my dog. My roommate wants to run with him, but roommate runs up to 15 miles a day and doesn't have patience to start from basically nothing with the dog.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 07:19:17 AM »
I’m in. Committing to 15x Orangetheory Fitness classes. It’s HIIT and a killer workout. I’m on the unlimited plan so my goal is to go 4-5x per week.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 07:20:41 AM »
Lots of folks here, LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

(ok maybe that's too much energy :D)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »
I did the first set of shoulders and arms from p90x.  Not much but I need to ease into it. Didn’t want to get hurt the first day.  I am not going to follow this program but will use certain workouts from it. I also threw in a set of abs.  Just basic crunches. 

Let the games begin.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 08:54:15 AM »
Committed to 6 months of 2x a week at MBSC THRIVE. Also practice/teach yoga.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 08:58:42 AM »
Good way to start the month. 6:30 AM class, 500 calories burned. I was mostly in the “green zone” today because I took the bike instead of a treadmill since my ankle’s been a bit swollen. Definitely still kicked my butt!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »
I did the first set of shoulders and arms from p90x.  Not much but I need to ease into it. Didn’t want to get hurt the first day.  I am not going to follow this program but will use certain workouts from it. I also threw in a set of abs.  Just basic crunches. 

Let the games begin.
Have you tried p90x3? It’s a little less intense and super fun.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
Great gauntlet thread, @ender. I’m in. Minimum of 6k steps each day, and 30 active minutes 3 times per week.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 04:03:57 PM »
I'm in!

Kettlebell workout every second day and at least 3 walks (40min) /week

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 06:32:55 PM »

Let the games begin.
Have you tried p90x3? It’s a little less intense and super fun.

No, I haven’t tried that one. I will check it out.  Thanks.   

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 08:36:52 AM »
Okay everybody, I'm going to "lift" tonight after work.  Do they still say "lift?"  And do they still call each other "bro?"  I'm kind of old so cultural trends pass me by.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
Just barely scraped by with 500cals this morning. On the bike for the next week or so while my ankle chills out.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
Okay everybody, I'm going to "lift" tonight after work.  Do they still say "lift?"  And do they still call each other "bro?"  I'm kind of old so cultural trends pass me by.
Bro, do you even lift?

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »
My commitment/consistency has been terrible the last few months and I was working on a plan for August. And all of sudden I see that it is August! Here is what I am thinking:

1 hike per week with weighted pack of 25+ lbs, 3+ miles, 500 ft elevation change. Or no weight and 10+ miles 1k ft.
2 days per week barbell training, low weight high reps. Combining OHP, squats, deadlifts, rows
2 days per week body weight circuit of 50 push-ups, squats, lunges
3 days per week archery, 50 shots day

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 05:03:57 PM »
Missed my p90x yoga this morning and now have a stomachache.... not sure I really want to do the yoga exercise on that... :(

I wonder, if I miss a day or two should I just skip those? Or push off the next days so I keep on the same routine?

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 08:17:07 AM »
The day before I did 10-15 mins of a step aerobics tape and yesterday, I did the first three sets of the arms and shoulders of P90x.  I wanted to keep going but thought it was smart to stop.  That makes exercising 3 times this week so far.  I am feeling pretty good about myself.  Off to a good start.

Tonight I will either walk or do more step aerobics. I really want to be able to do at least 30 -45 mins. That would be awesome.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 10:38:20 PM »
Have been active everyday..including a 22km hike yesterday. Checking out a new gym tomorrow to see how good their promotional deal is :)

MrMathMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
Missed my p90x yoga this morning and now have a stomachache.... not sure I really want to do the yoga exercise on that... :(

I wonder, if I miss a day or two should I just skip those? Or push off the next days so I keep on the same routine?

If I remember correctly, this is your first time through P90X, right?  If so, I recommend keeping the sequence even if you miss a day.  Instead of rest or X stretch on day 7, go right back into chest & back to start the cycle over again.  If you miss two days for some reason, then skip the Kenpo X workout.  Days 1 to 5 are the most critical in phase 1.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »

If I remember correctly, this is your first time through P90X, right?  If so, I recommend keeping the sequence even if you miss a day.  Instead of rest or X stretch on day 7, go right back into chest & back to start the cycle over again.  If you miss two days for some reason, then skip the Kenpo X workout.  Days 1 to 5 are the most critical in phase 1.

Yeah it's my first time going through it. I probably should have done the Yoga I missed but I just skipped it :|

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
Forgot to post this morning. Still not going as hard as usual because I’m still on the bike for cardio because of my angry ankle.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 05:48:00 AM »
Been fighting with a light stomach bug recently. Still made it through most of the Kenpo X yesterday. I feel it more today than I did last week, so I guess I did more work? :)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »
4 down so far this month. Went significantly harder today on the bike; wanted to die; worth it.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 05:48:23 AM »
5/15 done so far
Today wasn’t as good; partner workout, I didn’t sleep AT ALL last night, started on weights instead of cardio so I was too tired to keep my heart rate super high, and this was my first time with this particular trainer. /excuses

That said, I woke up and showed up. Taking Wednesday off then Thursday is a themed day, woo!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 06:57:57 AM »
Plyometrics from P90X is going to kill me.

I finished all but the last two sets today! Though I was... not able to keep up in many of the actual sets. But haters gonna hate, right?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 07:43:20 AM »

I finished all but the last two sets today! Though I was... not able to keep up in many of the actual sets. But haters gonna hate, right?
That’s what the pause button is for. :-) All good!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 06:32:52 AM »

I find I am getting a little addicted to P90x for now and I am not even doing it in its full glory.  It is really showing me I have a lot of work in front of me, which I already knew, but happily forgot. :)  Yesterday I did the first cluster of plyo and not really well and then I threw in shoulders and arms for the first two or three clusters.  I was feeling pretty good about myself. LOL.

I think I am going to follow the program for the Lean program instead of just doing pieces of it.  An hour is too long but if I do 20-30 mins for now I would be stoke. I watched Core Synergistics yesterday to see what is involved since it is the first tape in the lean track and oh my, but I am going to give it a go later on tonight.

Keep moving. 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:46:56 AM by alleykat »

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 06:34:18 AM »
5/15 done so far
Today wasn’t as good; partner workout, I didn’t sleep AT ALL last night, started on weights instead of cardio so I was too tired to keep my heart rate super high, and this was my first time with this particular trainer. /excuses

That said, I woke up and showed up. Taking Wednesday off then Thursday is a themed day, woo!

You are really killing it and inspiring me every time I see your updates. 

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 06:41:25 AM »
5/15 done so far

You are really killing it and inspiring me every time I see your updates.
Thanks so much! I was really big into beachbody for a long time (insanity, asylum, P90x, x3, body beast, core de force, and 21dfx are the ones I’ve done) and those are great workouts too! I stopped working out for a while due to depression/life/bad situations but am finally getting back into it. You are an inspiration, too. You’re killing it. Consistency is the biggest thing, and it looks like you’re building awesome habits right alongside me! We got this. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 07:26:54 AM »
I did NOT want to do today's shoulders/arms workout. I did it... though I didn't do the abs one. I find that one is really hard, probably because I have enough weight on my chest/stomach that my center of balance is above my hips (so  I cannot really do "situp" based things well without falling over).

oh well, I basically wanted to skip today and managed to do 60 minutes of workout so I guess... I did my best and forgot the rest??? :D

I'm almost done with week 3 now. I'm not really noticing any weight loss though... I probably should get more diligent in eating right and tracking that again. I feel like I've lost weight though as some of my shorts seem to fit better but I guess I'm either swelling/building muscle or something and maybe that's making up for any lost fat? Who knows. I guess I can keep going and see what happens after 90 days.

My plan is basically to do the 90 days as best possible (we're having a baby soonish, so that'll be interesting) and see what the end looks like. i've got a spreadsheet now for tracking the weight exercises which is great.

And eventually I'll finish the full pylometrics workout and do all the exercises the full time :D

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »
@ender — good job sticking with it! That’s the most important part. For weight loss, have you looked into keto at all? I lost a significant amount of weight doing that and didn’t feel deprived at all while changing up my lifestyle. Keep being badass! And if you stick with the abs your balance will improve and let you compensate for a higher center of gravity. You got this!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »
@ender — good job sticking with it! That’s the most important part. For weight loss, have you looked into keto at all? I lost a significant amount of weight doing that and didn’t feel deprived at all while changing up my lifestyle. Keep being badass! And if you stick with the abs your balance will improve and let you compensate for a higher center of gravity. You got this!

Maybe I'll start posting daily calories here (which will encourage me to actually track it....).

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 06:36:13 PM »
Did an hour of vaulting and monkeying around with the bars today. If my muscles don't scream tomorrow,  I'll go in for an hour of strength conditioning and safety training.

Have also been getting in my daily 8000+ steps.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 05:41:40 AM »
6/15! And today was a themed day, “pajama day” at my studio so y’know...

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2018, 05:45:47 AM »

Maybe I'll start posting daily calories here (which will encourage me to actually track it....).
Do it!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »
ugh today was rough. I really don't enjoy yoga right now - my strength/flexibility/balance are terrible. I only made it through ~1/3 of the P90X yoga (which to be fair is 1.5 hours!!). My muscles are reasonably weak from tues/wed, I wonder if that affected it?

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »
I was going to start P90x lean program yesterday but I was in no mood for the core synergistics.  I just felt like some cardio so I did the Kenpo tape.  Well, except for a few stretches in the beginning, I had to completely skip the yoga stretches.  My legs were a bit sore from the day before and no way was my body holding me in those poses and I didn't want to hurt myself.  I think I did about 20 mins of kenpo, and not too well.  I have to track it a bit better.

I think right now until I get a routine going, I just need to do what I feel like in the moment.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:51:31 AM by alleykat »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2018, 11:50:31 AM »
I was going to start P90x lean program yesterday but I was in no mood for the core synergistics.  I just felt like some cardio so I did the Kenpo tape.  Well, except for a few stretches in the beginning, I had to completely skip the yoga stretches.  My legs were a bit sore from the day before and no way was my body holding me in those poses and I didn't want to hurt myself.  I think I did about 20 mins of kenpo, and not too well.  I have to track it a bit better.

I think right now until I get a routine going, I just need to do what I feel like in the moment.

I really like Kenpo because it scales well with "how good am I at this?" because you can do the moves just to a lesser intensity better.

Some, like Yoga... just are binary. Either you can/can't do them it feels like.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »
Why don’t you guys do X3? It’s shorter (30 mins each) and the Yoga is a lot more doable on that one. I think the videos are more fun, and since they’re shorter there’s a lot less room to fail/skip/cut short. You can find the videos online easily enough. Just my $.02; P90X is a beast and there’s no way I’d be able to complete it 100%.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!