Author Topic: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018  (Read 71578 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #250 on: March 15, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »
Best of luck Malkynn, and congrats on the gig!

+1

And I hope you do join the only necessary clothes shopping thread @Malkynn , it sounds like your purchase was 100% necessary!

I posted this challenge before seeing this much more developed one. And I thought I was being all original and stuff.

I will not buy, for myself, one stitch of clothing in 2018. Not a shirt, not a pair of socks, or shoes or even a shoelace. I have more than enough to get through the year, and if I don't I'll wear what I have even if it is threadbare down to the molecular level.

I will buy what is reasonably necessary for my wife and kids, but necessity will be evaluated on substantially stricter standards. Looking at their closets I should put them on the same clothing restriction as myself for the year, but I know better than to be an ogre about it. 

Anything I own that I don't wear at least once in 2018 is getting the heave-ho.

Since I posted my own challenge, and I joined this challenge, that's like a double dog dare.

Welcome @GOFU :-) great minds think alike!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: March 16, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »
Well, I'm out, moving to the "no unnecessary clothing" challenge. I'm training for a half marathon and it became abundantly clear last week that I needed a couple more clothing items for my busier weeks where laundry isn't well managed. I bought a couple sports bras, one more pair of running tights, and two breathable tops this weekend. I also ran 3.5 miles yesterday which is the furthest I have ever run in my life; I feel great and I don't regret it a bit. I did go affordable at Target though on the sports bras, thanks to a recommendation from a friend. Good luck to you all for the challenge the rest of the year!

Good luck on your 1/2 marathon. I just got back into running myself and have signed myself up for a 1/2 in June. It's such a great experience.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2018, 10:27:07 AM »
I had to give sizes for my bike team pieces this week, and that kicked off a week of browsing REI's website looking at bike clothing that will fit in team guidelines. I didn't buy anything, but it was very surprising to find that impulse pop up. Without this challenge I don't think I would have noticed that as a shopping impulse - which it very much is - rather, I've previously thought of it as picking up needed gear. I did that last year, and most of it is black so it matches my team kit, and I really need absolutely nothing this year.

I definitely looked at my favorite wool-blend underwear, too. Underwear is my nemesis in this challenge, ha!

....I've also recently begun seeing someone and my friend has gotten a lot of laughs out of my self-inflicted pain around this issue, haha.

It's been really valuable to me not to have the option of buying something new for dates, including accessories, because that has always been a habit I've enjoyed. In my head, I always thought that buying a new sweater and earrings for a date was fun and made me feel pretty and like I was making an effort/assigning a value to the act of preparing for a date -- but in reality, I feel even more confident and put together not having that option. I still primp, for sure, but having very limited options for winter-slush weather means I've worn the same thing multiple times and of course nobody cares. It's so much less about how I look and more about what we're building together -- removing that particular level of self-pressure in the early dating days has been a really positive thing to come out of this challenge!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: March 19, 2018, 02:22:24 AM »
It's so much less about how I look and more about what we're building together

I totally agree!

I almost bought some ankle boots this weekend. Went to the second hand clothing shop nearby where I sometimes bring some clothes they can sell (if they don't sell online) and then you get 50% and if it doesn't sell they bring it to a charity for people who live below the line. I went there to collect some money, but then I saw these cute ankle boots for 7.50 in my size. I shouldn't have been looking in the first place... ;)  I tried them on, hoping they wouldn't fit right but they did.. Of course. I walked around in them, even looked at some dresses while walking around and then noticed the slippery slope and decided to put them back and to not return there!

I'm so glad I didn't buy them. Close call though. It was good to notice the slippery slope.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2018, 09:34:17 PM »
Well, I'm out, moving to the "no unnecessary clothing" challenge. I'm training for a half marathon and it became abundantly clear last week that I needed a couple more clothing items for my busier weeks where laundry isn't well managed. I bought a couple sports bras, one more pair of running tights, and two breathable tops this weekend. I also ran 3.5 miles yesterday which is the furthest I have ever run in my life; I feel great and I don't regret it a bit. I did go affordable at Target though on the sports bras, thanks to a recommendation from a friend. Good luck to you all for the challenge the rest of the year!

Well done on your progress with your running.

I'm out of this challenge for the same reason. I'm almost down to my racing weight and some of my sports bras (I always wear sports bras, I prefer them to wisps of lace and wire) have become too loose and need putting away until my next off-season. I managed to find four Shock Absorbers in my preferred design and discontinued colours on eBay for just over £20 in total and wasn't going to slop around in loose bras for the sake of £20, or for a challenge. I can save the £20 by avoiding stopping at a restaurant on one or two long bike rides and doing loops from home instead.

I may need more thermal cycling tights before the year is over but the ones I have will last until shorts weather returns and I'll review the situation in fall.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2018, 05:54:17 AM »
Still doing ok here -- no purchases. 

But ah yes . . . the running bra issue.  That is also a potential area of vulnerability for me this year.  I run six days a week, and I've only got two bras -- both old.  I only have one boob (prior mastectomy) which makes it trickier to fit a running bra.  If they stretch even a tiny bit, I might be forced to buy a replacement . . . We will see!   

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
When I saw this challenge yesterday, it occurred to me, "Hey, I haven't purchased anything this year!"  And after checking a Quicken report, I was right!  I'm actually at a negative spend for 2018, because I bought a couple of things in December that I returned in January. :D  The only clothing expenses for our household this year have been a pair of hiking pants for dh (bought on clearance, and he did need them), and a couple of team ballcaps for dh and dd when we visited her in her college town.  (since dd supports herself, the purchase of her ballcap should probably be reclassified as a gift instead of clothing).

Anyway, I'm excited and wondering if I can keep it up.  I'm a little concerned about my panty stash, as most of them are stretching or otherwise wearing out. And my jeans have all seen better days.  (my black jeans are several years old and are definitely not black anymore, more of a charcoal - maybe I can dye them).  And dh will probably buy a few things for his work wardrobe.  Is this a personal or household challenge - does his spending disqualify me? 

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2018, 11:52:35 AM »
Still no problem keeping up with this challenge (my conditioning is good!) - sorry to see a few people go, but all completely understandable.

@ohsnap, it seems like everyone is doing it as a personal challenge, not household. Good luck!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »
@ohsnap up to you if you want to include your husband or not!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »
Start with the positive: I have no desire to buy anything. This is great!

The negative: I'm not convinced I can make it through the year. I have six dresses that fit and are in rotation; four of them are made of polyamide (plastic) and thus will probably outlive me, but the other two are starting to lose their shape. I wear dresses seven days a week, some days more than one dress if the baby vomits on me. I don't wear skirts or pants to work (too hard to find ones long enough for my legs) or jeans on non-work days, so I can't just rely less on the dresses and more on other options. The dresses are my entire wardrobe, basically.

And when I'm not wearing dresses, I'm wearing track pants (the type that Americans call "yoga pants") and t-shirts. T-shirts are okay, especially as my maternity ones didn't stretch TOO much and can still be worn. Track pants are an issue heading into winter. I have two long pairs, one of which is in okay condition (not perfect), but the other pair is developing a massive hole in the thigh. The fabric is wearing through there (these were my maternity track pants, so I'm guessing there was a lot of thigh rub!)... I will try patching them, but I doubt they will look good enough to be worn on pram walks during daylight hours. Sigh.

This is really just a rant / stream of consciousness. I'm not giving up until I'm forced to - which for me will be when I have to do laundry so absurdly often that it breaks me, or when I can no longer dress even borderline-appropriately for work or other important activities. I think for me this is now an exercise in delaying the inevitable for as long as possible (hopefully until 2019!!). I still feel determined to keep pushing through.

eeho

• Stubble
    • Check out my MMM journal - Stubblefaced-aussie-girl-with-a-five-year-deadline-for-fire!
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »
I'm a late entrant, but I'm in!

I'm also trying to declutter my wardrobe because I have a ludicris amount of clothing. I find it difficult though, because I have the space and I do cycle through things.

This thread will keep me accountable in moments of weakness though!

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »
A couple of days ago, I mentioned that my jeans are an area of concern (they are all several years old with quite a bit of wear).  I found a surprise in my closet last night - a pair of jeans that I'd purchased last spring and worn a few times before putting them in the back of the closet for the summer and forgetting about them.  I think with this addition, I should be able to stretch my jean wardrobe through the end of the year.  I was pretty excited that one day after I announced "no buying jeans this year", I found a pair of almost-new jeans!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: March 25, 2018, 08:29:54 PM »
Found holes in two of my best cardigans (ones I wear to work) over the weekend. Shiiiiit.

They're polyamide (soft stretchy plastic) so repairs are difficult. I know from experience that sewing and/or patching won't work. Time to google repair methods...

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #263 on: March 26, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
@ohsnap: That's good karma!

@HappierAtHome: Noooo!!! Crap! Don't have any good tips unfortunately. Cardigan repairs are hard..

I'm still going strong. I thought of things I wanted to buy but can honestly say none of them are needs.

One of the things I wanted to join, besides the money I was spending, was because I only want to buy things I truly love and wear a lot, not have the fluff. This seemed like the right thing to do after already cleaning out and selling and buying new stuff the last few years (hit and miss).

Because of this I'm already thinking about next year (a bit early I know;)). I don't want to mindlessly consume again next year after this year. I don't want to clutter up my wardrobe again. I'm thinking about some options other than 'only necessary shopping' because necessary is relative and I tried this before and failed horribly. I thought about only buying second hand, but I buy a lot second hand anyway and the thing is that for some pieces it isn't better to buy secondhand, e.g. my winter coat that is still good but doesn't really satisfy so I'm going to grow tired of it sooner. For something like that I should've invested in a piece that is multi functional and suits my needs (easy to bike in, still decent enough to wear to work or with a dress, water resistant, long enough sleeves etc).

I came across this 'challenge' that might be a contender: one month, one piece or #onepieceamonth:

https://www.chapterfifty.com/2016/01/one-piece-a-month-challenge/

http://theslowpace.com/2017/05/15/capsule-wardrobe-one-month-one-piece/

And maybe some extra rules:
- Buy durable / good quality - will I wear it a minimum of 30 times - will it become a staple piece
- Buy second-hand if possible and good enough (same standards should apply)
- Buy fairtrade and eco friendly if possible
- Buy less than 12 pieces = even better

Any thoughts? I know everyone here is doing this for different reasons, any thoughts on how you are going to handle the next year and why?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #264 on: March 26, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »
@Sanne - I love your thought process and your questions. Still figuring out my answers!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #265 on: March 26, 2018, 04:22:44 PM »
Just thought I would pop in to let everyone know that I’ve decided to wear my new beautiful suit to my aunt’s wedding.

I thought everyone in this thread might be able to appreciate that. Lol.

I dig it!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: March 26, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »
Just thought I would pop in to let everyone know that I’ve decided to wear my new beautiful suit to my aunt’s wedding.

That's awesome :D :D :D

I bet you look great in that suit.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: March 27, 2018, 12:59:30 AM »

Nice! Good choice!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #268 on: March 27, 2018, 01:12:32 AM »
@Sanne - I love your thought process and your questions. Still figuring out my answers!

Thanks! It's good to have a place to share my brainstorming.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #269 on: March 27, 2018, 01:30:57 AM »
My shorts are now so thin on the bum that one false move will reveal all. When I was in my teens I patched my ripped jeans, badly & from the inside, with crazy fabric. I'm not sure I can pull off that look now! Also I don't have fabric, crazy or otherwise. Maybe an old work shirt of hubby's?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2018, 04:36:16 AM »
@Fresh Bread -- Oh hell yes, you can patch things at any age.  Another vote of approval!  :)

At our local fabric store they have a scrap bin where I can usually find something suitable for just pennies.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2018, 04:49:57 AM »
Was talking with DH last night and he reminded me that he has not bought any clothing in three years.  Kinda puts my three months in this challenge in perspective, haha. 

We have the same zero desire for clothing, but he definitely has the advantage in a no-buying contest as a stay at home dad.  When I look back at my clothes buying over the past few years it is almost all work clothes.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »
@Sanne , really interesting to read your thoughts & those articles.
I will also reflect on this a bit more before answering but thanks for sharing. Inspiring, I started browsing through her 'capsule' buys and became excited to rework some of my own belongings :)

eeho

• Stubble
    • Check out my MMM journal - Stubblefaced-aussie-girl-with-a-five-year-deadline-for-fire!
« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2018, 06:24:37 PM »
I haven't bought any clothes in the last week, but I have gotten rid of three pairs of definately-end-of-life shoes and put a few more items in a big bag ready for a clothes swap party a friend is having in May. I have a very small list of things I am in the market for (a small black bag for going out, a new pair of flat shoes to replace the ones that died), but I will make do until the clothes swap and if what I want isn't there then I'll see how long I can make do after that!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2018, 05:16:51 AM »
@Sanne , really interesting to read your thoughts & those articles.
I will also reflect on this a bit more before answering but thanks for sharing. Inspiring, I started browsing through her 'capsule' buys and became excited to rework some of my own belongings :)

Thanks! Good to know you don't think it's rambling.. ;) It's nice to be able to share it although mu own thoughts aren't clear yet.

I also started browsing her buys and that was kinda dangerous because I immediately thougt I needed some 'nice' sneakers. Ofcourse I don't but it would be nice.. ;) I love comfortable chic, so it would be perfect. I already have a few pairs of sneakers, so I put the want on my pinterest 'clothing wants' board and will see what I think next year. Just goes to show that it's good to limit my purchases next year so I really have think about it. Is it worth it to be one of the 12 (or other number)?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2018, 04:54:38 PM »
I have given away more clothes this weekend. I'm starting a list of things that I know are missing that I'm going to buy on Jan 1st 2019!! So far: denim shorts, summer sandals, a skin coloured bra and a pair of bigger jeans.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
Does a watch count as clothing? Husband wants to buy me a watch for Mother's Day. A watch would be useful now I'm back at work, and I don't have a jewellery "problem" (haven't bought a piece of jewellery in years). But is it clothing? If yes, I will tell him to wait for Mother's Day next year :-P

I'm starting a list of things that I know are missing that I'm going to buy on Jan 1st 2019!!

I have a list like this too - all needs, no wants. That's assuming I can manage to make my clothing streeeetch the whole year. I'm feeling pessimistic right now about making it through winter with one pair of pants.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: April 02, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »
I think a watch falls under jewelry, for sure!

I wish I could send some of my excess clothes your way to help you make it through the challenge (provided they’d fit, of course) - it would be so much winning all around! But, I don’t think shipping from Canada to Australia is cheap (or environmentally friendly). You were talking about needing really long jeans, and I was thinking, ack, I have the perfect pair. Never wear them and they’re like a 36” inseam... darn.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: April 03, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »

Because of this I'm already thinking about next year (a bit early I know;)). I don't want to mindlessly consume again next year after this year. I don't want to clutter up my wardrobe again. I'm thinking about some options other than 'only necessary shopping' because necessary is relative and I tried this before and failed horribly. I thought about only buying second hand, but I buy a lot second hand anyway and the thing is that for some pieces it isn't better to buy secondhand, e.g. my winter coat that is still good but doesn't really satisfy so I'm going to grow tired of it sooner. For something like that I should've invested in a piece that is multi functional and suits my needs (easy to bike in, still decent enough to wear to work or with a dress, water resistant, long enough sleeves etc).

I came across this 'challenge' that might be a contender: one month, one piece or #onepieceamonth:

https://www.chapterfifty.com/2016/01/one-piece-a-month-challenge/

http://theslowpace.com/2017/05/15/capsule-wardrobe-one-month-one-piece/

And maybe some extra rules:
- Buy durable / good quality - will I wear it a minimum of 30 times - will it become a staple piece

Any thoughts? I know everyone here is doing this for different reasons, any thoughts on how you are going to handle the next year and why?

I enjoyed looking at those threads you shared @Sanne and I could feel myself itch with the desire for something new, but that feeling passed :)

Definitely have been noticing how little I need, even with my small wardrobe I only use a portion of it over and over. The things that feel ease-full, lovely and to which I have a connection.
Of course, comfy clothes & pjs are on heavy rotation as well (Currently, I admit, I do not have a beautiful wardrobe--a lot of casual, saggy cotton things and not much pizzazz, things are a bitty ratty)

Having said that, I studied textiles, so always check quality of construction, fabrics & fibers--I lean heavily to buying naturals and hand-made or ethically consigned (ie..my wallet bag, embroidered by artisans in India who were fairly compensated for their gorgeous work).

I see this challenge (and my no-shopping year in general) as a re-boot even though I was moving in this direction for the last decade. Even when I wasn't making much money, I would try to seek out quality in thrift stores (silk shirts for $2-$5, especially in remote towns) or spent outrageously on one special thing and wear it with my mother's old clothing :)

Fast fashion does not appeal to me.
For next year: liking the idea of one thing a month (if even!) and agree with your 'extra rules' too

**also if you are on IG, there is an interesting project called #10x10 which challenges participants to choose 10 items (including shoes, but not other accessories) and wear only these for 10 days, in differing combos..I like this type of creative encouragement--even though it's not difficult if you only have a teeny wardrobe anyhow :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:29:59 AM by Serendip »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #279 on: April 05, 2018, 09:25:16 AM »
Still going strong here -- no purchases of anything.  I'm including shoes, jewelry, sunglasses, hats, and anything else that goes on the body.

Did get a scare yesterday though -- Came home to find my 11 year old wearing my one black capsule-wardrobe belt as a "sword" belt, stuffing a bunch of sticks and plastic swords down inside of it.  The poor belt is already at the very end of its life, lol.  It's in shreds -- If I posted pictures y'all would laugh hysterically.   I took it away from him before he could actually tear it through; I don't have the tools to fix a belt I don't think.  Would have been the end of the challenge for me!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: April 05, 2018, 02:06:59 PM »
Made it through March and April is looking good too. Was thinking about gardening gloves this morning. My thought is they wouldn't count but what do you guys think?  I may have an old pair in the basement that can last another season so this may not even be necessary.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #281 on: April 05, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »
Made it through March and April is looking good too. Was thinking about gardening gloves this morning. My thought is they wouldn't count but what do you guys think?  I may have an old pair in the basement that can last another season so this may not even be necessary.

Great job Haypug16!  I would personally consider gardening gloves a tool, and not clothing. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: April 05, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
Does a watch count as clothing? Husband wants to buy me a watch for Mother's Day. A watch would be useful now I'm back at work, and I don't have a jewellery "problem" (haven't bought a piece of jewellery in years). But is it clothing? If yes, I will tell him to wait for Mother's Day next year :-P

Update: told him to wait and give me a watch next year if he still wants to :-) I think we were both just looking for distractions from my health issues / our current levels of stress.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #283 on: April 05, 2018, 04:59:05 PM »

Great job Haypug16!  I would personally consider gardening gloves a tool, and not clothing.

Me too - I don't think they're clothing in the sense of this challenge.

Did get a scare yesterday though -- Came home to find my 11 year old wearing my one black capsule-wardrobe belt as a "sword" belt, stuffing a bunch of sticks and plastic swords down inside of it.  The poor belt is already at the very end of its life, lol.  It's in shreds -- If I posted pictures y'all would laugh hysterically.   I took it away from him before he could actually tear it through; I don't have the tools to fix a belt I don't think.  Would have been the end of the challenge for me!

Could you get it repaired by a cobbler?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #284 on: April 05, 2018, 05:59:41 PM »
Ok I'm glad on the gardening gloves consensus because I bought some replacements at the weekend without even considering that they might count as clothes... whoops!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2018, 02:15:36 AM »

I enjoyed looking at those threads you shared @Sanne and I could feel myself itch with the desire for something new, but that feeling passed :)

Definitely have been noticing how little I need, even with my small wardrobe I only use a portion of it over and over. The things that feel ease-full, lovely and to which I have a connection.

I see this challenge (and my no-shopping year in general) as a re-boot even though I was moving in this direction for the last decade. Even when I wasn't making much money, I would try to seek out quality in thrift stores (silk shirts for $2-$5, especially in remote towns) or spent outrageously on one special thing and wear it with my mother's old clothing :)

Haha, I had the same feeling and it also passed quickly when I thought about all the combinations I could make with my current wardrobe and all the clothes I'm barely wearing. Not that I have an extreme amount, I basically have a sort of capsule wardrobe right now but some pieces get more love than others. This challenge helps me to appreciate and wear everything and better see what doesn't really work as well and why.

I did some math last year about outfit repeating. If I have 20 outfits every season I would only have to wear each outfit 4 to 5 times that season. That's nothing. I could make way more outfits than 20, I could make at least 45 different combinations (wearing items multiple times but in different combinations), so I would only have to wear the same outfit twice in one season. And I don't even care about outfit repeating. That's crazy. That's telling me I don't need more, I need less. If something wears out, I will have to make do with something else, I will still have enough.

I don't even have the feeling some other people here have, that they don't know if they'll make it because something might wear out. Even if something wears out I will still have a few more. The only thing is my black trousers I wear all the time, I will miss them if they wear out and when they are in the wash. Of course the same for some other items but they won't wear out this year.

The re-boot is exactly it. It's also a re-boot for me and the next needed step for me. And I love thrift stores but they're also dangerous for me because I also tend to buy things I don't need and will not wear as frequently. Hence the rules!

Fast fashion does not appeal to me.
For next year: liking the idea of one thing a month (if even!) and agree with your 'extra rules' too

**also if you are on IG, there is an interesting project called #10x10 which challenges participants to choose 10 items (including shoes, but not other accessories) and wear only these for 10 days, in differing combos..I like this type of creative encouragement--even though it's not difficult if you only have a teeny wardrobe anyhow :)

Nice to see you're liking the challenge and rules! Would be good to do next year and maybe make a thread for it.

Thanks for the 10x10 tip! That would be good for me, because I would have to think what items would work good together. That would be a good challenge to start from for making my wardrobe more coherent and to think about what I actually need and want in a perfect smaller wardrobe.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2018, 07:34:14 AM »
Glad to hear others agree on the gardening gloves. I'll first check the state of my old pair to see if they'll make it another year but if not I won't feel to bad about picking out a nice new pair at a reasonable price :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #287 on: April 07, 2018, 12:49:22 AM »
Glad to hear others agree on the gardening gloves. I'll first check the state of my old pair to see if they'll make it another year but if not I won't feel to bad about picking out a nice new pair at a reasonable price :)

In my opinion, it’s clothes vs tools. A baseball glove isn’t clothes, just like gardening gloves aren’t :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #288 on: April 07, 2018, 04:44:05 AM »

Could you get it repaired by a cobbler?

Not sure -- it is not solid leather, but one of those cheaper layered things.  Worth a try if it tears.  Thanks!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: April 07, 2018, 07:43:22 PM »
Went on a rare trip to Target today and found myself subconsciously eying some clothes. I snapped out of it, but it was eye-opening to me how quickly I was thinking, "Oh that could be cute" when I had absolutely no need for new clothes (I'm 8 months pregnant for crying out loud). I guess there's a lot to be said for staying away from retail locations.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #290 on: April 08, 2018, 05:19:09 AM »
Went on a rare trip to Target today and found myself subconsciously eying some clothes. I snapped out of it, but it was eye-opening to me how quickly I was thinking, "Oh that could be cute" when I had absolutely no need for new clothes (I'm 8 months pregnant for crying out loud). I guess there's a lot to be said for staying away from retail locations.

Wow @wordnerd -- I had missed the fact that you're pregnant.  How are you managing the challenge while you are growing?   Had you bought all your maternity clothes early?  Getting gifted stuff?  After the baby comes you should be set-- just wear all the same clothes/sizes in reverse as you shrink haha.  Bonus points for you for doing this while expanding/shrinking!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: April 08, 2018, 05:35:03 AM »
Thanks, @Trifele! I went this whole process a couple of years ago, so I have the "many stages of inflating and deflating" wardrobe already. If my body settles into a different place postpartum this time around, I may end up bowing out of this challenge in the fall.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: April 11, 2018, 07:21:03 PM »
I am officially bowing out of the challenge. My manager-once-removed very carefully let me know that my current work wear is not sufficiently corporate (he's not wrong!); I'm going shopping this weekend.

Still going to hang around to cheer others on :D

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:44 AM »
I am officially bowing out of the challenge. My manager-once-removed very carefully let me know that my current work wear is not sufficiently corporate (he's not wrong!); I'm going shopping this weekend.

Still going to hang around to cheer others on :D

Sounds like not within your control! Do you know what you need/are going to buy?

Good thing to stick around!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:52:33 AM by Sanne »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2018, 04:03:27 AM »
Sorry to see you go HaH!  You fought the good fight.  Thanks for hanging around!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2018, 10:39:17 AM »
Still holding strong though my knee highs are a different story. I do have some full nylons that I can start wearing once the weather warms up and I'm wearing more skirts/dresses and less pants. , but here in NE we're still in winter I guess.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
Do you know what you need/are going to buy?

Immediate needs are two work dresses and two pairs of track pants (sweat pants / yoga pants). And I will probably splash out and buy a bra too, because I'm still wearing maternity bras eight months after I stopped lactating and they are not nearly supportive enough. BIG SPENDER.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »
Day 102 and still going strong.

Those of you who have HAD to bow out for various valid reasons, can you start over with us? If you couldn't do all of 2018, perhaps you could still do 365 days.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2018, 12:33:54 AM »
Those of you who have HAD to bow out for various valid reasons, can you start over with us? If you couldn't do all of 2018, perhaps you could still do 365 days.

I love this idea, but it's not realistic for me - basically everything in my wardrobe is now ~5 years old and is worn at least once a week, so I think I'm at that awkward point where things just wear out and need replacing. And I'm trying to recognise and stop the cycle where I commit myself to unrealistic challenges :-/

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: April 14, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »

I love this idea, but it's not realistic for me - basically everything in my wardrobe is now ~5 years old and is worn at least once a week, so I think I'm at that awkward point where things just wear out and need replacing. And I'm trying to recognise and stop the cycle where I commit myself to unrealistic challenges :-/

I can understand that. This challenge is pretty easy for me simply because I have purchased a terrible overabundance of clothing over the past several years. There is absolutely nothing I truly need at this point. So the challenge is good for me because it keeps me from adding to the insanity in my closet.