Author Topic: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018  (Read 71574 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
It's interesting how knowing I will not be buying clothes affects my mindset. I'm a champion declutterer (if I may say so myself!) but I'm finding I'm much less willing to let go of clothes I don't need, because what if everything else falls apart this year and that's all I'm left with?! I suddenly have a scarcity mindset around CLOTHES of all the silly, non-scarce things.

Part of why I'm keen on this challenge is because while I usually don't shop for clothes much, 2017 was a different story. My body went through a lot of changes (started the year 19 weeks pregnant; went through pregnancy and breastfeeding; then changed again post-breastfeeding as well as the normal post-partum changes) and I ended up buying soooo many items of clothes to keep up with it all.

Given the only body changes that will be happening in 2018 will be getting fitter and maybe losing some more baby weight, I should be fine. I have (just) enough clothes in my current, large-for-me size. I have plenty of clothes that will fit when I am back to my normal size.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2018, 05:26:50 PM »
I had ordered some underwear at the end of December, which just arrived. Last aquisitions.

It's funny--I find my mindset is peaceful currently regarding the 'no-shopping' thing (didn't really expect this).
My SO & I are doing a complete no-shopping year (besides the obvious groceries, etc) and of course, our radio, my purse and glasses all broke the week we started.

But no big deal...we have no radio, I glued my glasses and sewed my purse. Voila!

akzidenz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2018, 09:03:43 PM »
I'm somewhat anxiously committed to no clothes shopping in 2018 too!

I love clothes, I'm very into fashion (I enjoy following runway shows, industry news, and I'm alarmingly good at identifying the brands of shoes/handbags/jackets/et cetera when I'm out and about). I obsessively research what to buy next and spend a lot of time online shopping. But…

I have this perverse desire to not buy clothes just to prove that I can, and prove to myself that having a hobby (which often has strongly consumerist tendencies) doesn't require that I also consume at an excessive, environmentally unfriendly pace.

I'm still very unsure if I can do this, and I'm having all these last-minute thoughts of "but! what about…my desire for a new coat?" (despite owning two already) "but what if I poke a hole in all my socks?" (I'll mend them, just like I did in college) "I have an event I need new clothes for!" (I am adequately equipped for all manner of weddings, holiday parties, funerals…)

I think my unease means that I should do this. Last year I banned myself from buying beauty products (unless I truly ran out—e.g. absolutely no moisturizer in my possession) and books (I relied on the library) and I am so pleased at how well those little bans reset my mindless consumer behavior.

Hopefully, a ban on clothes shopping will do the same thing.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2018, 12:56:35 AM »
I was decluttering my wardrobe and found a few things I'd forgotten about... I'll think I'll be ok.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2018, 01:49:26 AM »
I'm committing to this now. My one anticipated transgression - the purchase of new hiking trousers on NYD - didn't happen. DH and I had a shopping opportunity on NYE, he found what he needed, and I tried on some trousers, found a pair that fitted, looked again at the price tag, and thought, "Nope, spending that much was never in the plan." So last year's resolution remains intact, I have no reason to go clothes shopping again, and 2018 is very much on.

I've also cleared out some more clothes I'll never wear. I'd kept them because they're good quality and I thought I might sell them, but I've been saying that for several years and haven't done it. They've gone to the charity shop. One of my daughters has relieved me of some surplus winter garments. I am starting to see the possibility of eliminating the black holes from my wardrobe.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2018, 04:43:33 AM »

But no big deal...we have no radio, I glued my glasses and sewed my purse. Voila!
Badass!!!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2018, 06:05:17 AM »
I had ordered some underwear at the end of December, which just arrived. Last aquisitions.

It's funny--I find my mindset is peaceful currently regarding the 'no-shopping' thing (didn't really expect this).
My SO & I are doing a complete no-shopping year (besides the obvious groceries, etc) and of course, our radio, my purse and glasses all broke the week we started.

Well done!

Have you read any books to inspire your no shopping year?

LateToTheParty

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »
I’m in. I completed 2016 and 2017 with absolutely no clothes buying and will go another year. If I lose 10# this will be even easier, as I have a bunch of clothing that is in great shape, but just a little too snug to wear. My “larger” stuff is starting to become threadbare.
Good motivation to slim down a bit.
You all were motivation for my 2016 and 2017 success with this gauntlet. I have been more of a lurker, but plan to post a bit more in the coming year.

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »
Subbing:

I need to do this. I have already returned a pair of jeans bought in November, and will receive a gift card in the mail. I have lost 6 lbs since then and they were a little big. I need to not spend anything this year and use what I have and then reevaluate.

Returns: Jeans 1/6/2018   

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2018, 09:33:04 AM »

Well done!

Have you read any books to inspire your no shopping year?

I had been wanting to try it but didn't have the full support of my SO (I did something similar a while back to pay off my student loan debt and read a lot of personal finance blogs about that side of it)

He recently read a NY Times article and suggested that we try it (I was surprised he was interested) so this year it is about reflecting on our level of consumerism and what impact that has on the environment. I think we also practice self-respect by taking care of the things we have *and sometimes have forgotten how capable we are, not our gear but ourselves!

The Art of Frugal Hedonism: Annie Rowland and Adam Grubb.

Tara Brach is a meditation teacher that I listen to. Learning to watch the emotions surrounding aquiring/desiring is quite the key skill for me to develop!

recently from the library --"STUFF: compulsive hoarding and the meaning of things" (mostly stories from one of the original researchers in this field. I am by no means a hoarder but have one in my family so it really hits home)

Badass!!!
[/quote]
Ha--thanks. You should've seen the shock on the optometrists face when I said the word glue!

Oops. I obviously did something wrong with my cut & paste-ing!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:48:55 AM by Serendip »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2018, 10:02:46 AM »
Excellent gauntlet challenge if you want to cut down your clothes shopping but know you will have to buy at least one item: Only Necessary Clothes Shopping 2018

Ooo thanks! That thread is for me!

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »
I searched for that extra pair of pantyhose I'll need this year and they didn't turn up, so I'll head on over to the other thread.  Good luck everyone!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »
Made it through week 1! 51 more to go ;) It's actually not so bad. Like others have said, when I have committed completely it's easier then say cutting back on something.

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »
I was all set to do this for the next few months, and then when I was at Bargain Hunt buying refillable stick lighters ($1 each!), I found a J.Crew silk blouse that was marked at $5 and then discounted 75%!  $1.25 for a $100 blouse that I will most definitely wear to work was too amazing a deal to pass up.  I mean, does under $2 really count?! ;)

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »
I think I'll join the lose weight in 2018 challenge, that way I'm going to go well in at least one of the two.

I love this way of looking at it! Either I buy no clothes or I lose enough weight to necessitate buying new clothes. Either way is a win!

Ooooh. I really like this.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2018, 12:22:13 PM »
I was all set to do this for the next few months, and then when I was at Bargain Hunt buying refillable stick lighters ($1 each!), I found a J.Crew silk blouse that was marked at $5 and then discounted 75%!  $1.25 for a $100 blouse that I will most definitely wear to work was too amazing a deal to pass up.  I mean, does under $2 really count?! ;)

Daaaaayumn. That’s a deal! But did you *need* it? ;)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2018, 12:33:51 PM »

Daaaaayumn. That’s a deal! But did you *need* it? ;)

a fair enough problem...the uber deal! I can't let myself browse near stores with sales :: bargains are my kryptonite.

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »
For those of you that crave variety, some inspiration: http://www.theuniformproject.com/

OMG I remember this...so inspiring!  Of course, where I work I definitely couldn't do the "crotch-high mini" look, but I've often fantasized about having an excuse to wear the same thing every day and not be given The Weirdo Look. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
For those of you that crave variety, some inspiration: http://www.theuniformproject.com/

OMG I remember this...so inspiring!  Of course, where I work I definitely couldn't do the "crotch-high mini" look, but I've often fantasized about having an excuse to wear the same thing every day and not be given The Weirdo Look.

I give you, The Self-Imposed Work Uniform: https://www.google.ca/amp/www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/amp10441/why-i-wear-the-same-thing-to-work-everday/

Although, men can get away with this more easily than women can: http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tv-anchor-same-suit-sexism_n_6170900
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:40:54 PM by lifejoy »

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »
I'm still sticking to this.  With the few other people who are either not buying clothes or losing weight, so either way a win.  I have so many clothes, it's embarrassing.  I have been looking online for a swimsuit, but since those are SO hard to shop for, it's really just hobby shopping.  I haven't been tempted to purchase.

It helps that husband and I made an agreement that we would consult each other for EVERY purchase, including grocery list, before spending, so any unjustified treats are out of the question right now.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2018, 12:33:13 PM »
Time for me to officially join in on this challenge. It’s been my personal goal since the beginning of the year, when I reviewing my 2016 clothing spending, but I hesitated to join in. What if all my socks suddenly get holes? What if i have an ultra special occasion and NEED something new?

All just lame excuses that I could find a way to work around. The reality is that i have plenty and I need to appreciate this more. So I’m all in for 2018. Let’s see how this goes. :)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »
All just lame excuses that I could find a way to work around. The reality is that i have plenty and I need to appreciate this more. So I’m all in for 2018. Let’s see how this goes. :)

THIS. I’ve done my own version of this for three years now (with certain exceptions and only a few impulse purchases), with great success. I want to do this year as per this challenge and buy absolutely nothing. I’m looking forward to it!

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2018, 07:46:04 PM »
I think the no exceptions is helping me. Last year I face exceptions and I failed. I was going to
Spend this week but stopped myself because of today and my goal list in my planner.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:40 PM »
I think the no exceptions is helping me.

Me too! When I make exceptions I find reasons to keep making exceptions ;-) better to make a blanket rule and stick to it.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »
OK, I'm going to join. I've been hesitating because I'm 24 weeks pregnant. I had a baby two years ago, so I'm familiar with the weird post-partum, breastfeeding body stages, but I also have clothes for them from last time around. This is likely to challenge me, but that's part of the appeal.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2018, 05:24:52 PM »
I downloaded the Smart Closet app and I'm loving it! Useful for seeing just how much I own and what I actually wear, and over time it will help me calculate my cost per wear.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
I downloaded the Smart Closet app and I'm loving it! Useful for seeing just how much I own and what I actually wear, and over time it will help me calculate my cost per wear.

Just checked out the app. Looks very useful. I am really bad at hanging on to clothes that I don't wear so I think having this app will help me either get rid of or wear the clothes that I'm not wearing.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »
My sister is in town so we went shopping because we both had a few items to purchase.  I didn't purchase any clothing for myself, but it was really difficult.  Surprisingly so.  A friend who does not like to shop will be sending $30 in Kohl's cash my way.  In the spirit of this challenge, am I free to spend a portion of this on myself, or should I only look for items for my family?

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2018, 10:41:16 PM »
@AmandaPanda you’re all clear as long as it’s not more than “absolutely zero” ... ;)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:33 AM »
Oops I found myself browsing online sports craft sale - nothing over $39. Found a great top $229 reduced to $19. Put it in my checkout bag.....

Then, deleted it. Phew!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2018, 03:40:37 AM »
Oops I found myself browsing online sports craft sale - nothing over $39. Found a great top $229 reduced to $19. Put it in my checkout bag.....

Then, deleted it. Phew!

Close one!!

@AmandaPanda you’re all clear as long as it’s not more than “absolutely zero” ... ;)

I feel like "absolutely zero" is such a nice clear limit :-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2018, 03:42:05 AM »
Got invited to a bra party today. Politely declined. No new bras for me unless my house burns down with all my clothes inside - and if that happens, flunking this challenge will be the least of my concerns ;-)

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2018, 07:07:51 AM »
WUT is a bra party???

and I GET IT :) I won't spend any Kohl's cash on myself...

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
WUT is a bra party???

and I GET IT :) I won't spend any Kohl's cash on myself...

Yeah, that's a new one for me, too. (The bra party.)

I recently gave away $20 in Kohl's cash. Felt good to not walk in the store to buy stuff I don't need.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2018, 03:22:15 PM »
Had to pick up a safety air cartridge at an outdoor shop today..it's the first time I've gone into a store with great clothing in 2018 since starting this challenge.

I immediately felt myself "drawn" in the direction of some lovely looking things.
I reminded myself of my errand, went straight to counter, and straight out the door.
*phew*

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2018, 10:14:08 AM »
Had to pick up a safety air cartridge at an outdoor shop today..it's the first time I've gone into a store with great clothing in 2018 since starting this challenge.

I immediately felt myself "drawn" in the direction of some lovely looking things.
I reminded myself of my errand, went straight to counter, and straight out the door.
*phew*

Good job Serendip! Seeing great clothing up close and in person would be super tempting for me. If I'm not near it I'm OK.

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »
I'm in.

I don't have enough 'business casual' clothes to work at a job that requires business casual...so I'll be using accepted daily attire as a primary filter of places I may change jobs to.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »
If I buy some Thinx style underwear, can I count it as menstrual products and not clothing please Happier?? What if I get hubby to order them and give me them as a gift "have a great period, darling"?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »
If I buy some Thinx style underwear, can I count it as menstrual products and not clothing please Happier?? What if I get hubby to order them and give me them as a gift "have a great period, darling"?

I personally wouldn't count them as clothes, given I don't count my cloth pads as clothes, but only you know if they count for you ;-)

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »
Happier I love this!

I agree with others who have said the hard line is very helpful. I think that's one of the reasons I fall out of touch in the Uber Frugal threads - we all have a different level of "uber" for various reasons, and it's too easy for me to read along and then find myself rationalizing unnecessary spending.

I'm in. My only impulse in the past few months is new underwear, but my preferred brand stopped selling their merino version. I am down to four pairs of underwear that fit but have made it through this year by hand washing and hanging to dry - usually the two merino wool pairs that I very much love but are spendy and now discontinued anyway. I don't need more than I have, and if they wear out by summer well that's what swimsuits are for ;)

Ms Terror

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2018, 06:56:12 PM »
I'm in! I actually hate clothes shopping so that's the easy part, I'm going to also limit myself with getting new-to-me clothes from my Buy Nothing group. Unless I also give away an equal number of my current clothes. Basically I don't want to increase the net number of items in my wardrobe as there is already enough in there that I don't wear enough to justify their spot there.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2018, 01:39:21 AM »
I'm currently playing with semantics and trying to decide whether a new pair of running shoes would count as "clothing", a Gazingus Pin, hoarding, or a genuinely wise purchase.

I do a fair amount of running. I don't need new shoes at present and probably won't this year, but the ones I like best have been discontinued and I've found a pair in my size at a very good price in a remaindered sale.

The online store window is still open, but I'm having a waiting period and suspect I'll end up deciding that Future Me might want to choose a new favourite shoe.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2018, 06:25:53 AM »
Happier I love this!

I agree with others who have said the hard line is very helpful. I think that's one of the reasons I fall out of touch in the Uber Frugal threads - we all have a different level of "uber" for various reasons, and it's too easy for me to read along and then find myself rationalizing unnecessary spending.

I'm in. My only impulse in the past few months is new underwear, but my preferred brand stopped selling their merino version. I am down to four pairs of underwear that fit but have made it through this year by hand washing and hanging to dry - usually the two merino wool pairs that I very much love but are spendy and now discontinued anyway. I don't need more than I have, and if they wear out by summer well that's what swimsuits are for ;)

You’re a champ! My inspiration :)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »
Made it through 3 weeks 49 to go ;)

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2018, 08:06:17 PM »
I’m finding the clear line very helpful so far as well.

A pair of my tights got a hole in the toe last week- normally I’d have  gone online immediately to replace this "necessity"  (and likely found some other items to add to my shopping cart while I was at it).

But I still have 4 other perfectly good pairs, and the one pair with a hole is still wearable for a while longer. And I feel totally fine.

Of course I’m not even out of the first month yet, but holding strong so far. :)

How’s everyone else doing?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2018, 09:16:22 PM »
I'm doing ok but I'm going to have to post a few wardrobe dilemmas shortly. Mainly things like: what shoes out of the ones I already own should I wear with this dress?

Also, I was putting something away today when I got a whiff of really bad mustiness. I'm wondering if it's my winter coat. It's the only smart coat I've got but I don't think I've worn it the last two winters. It's also a certain style that is probably well out of fashion and in a hard to wear colour! It's a good brand so I might try and sell it but I'm going to have to wait til winter. The point of this story is: if I need a smart winter coat I could probably borrow one. And if I'm awarded an OBE or invited to an extremely fancy black tie event in winter (both as unlikely as each other), I could probably rent something. And that goes for anything else I find I'm short of for an event e.g I don't have handbags / purses.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
Love your thread Happier!  I've lurked here for a few days, considering it.  Count me in!  It will be a challenge, but I think I can do it.

* My strengths -- I don't have many clothes, and I wear things til they fall apart.  Haven't bought anything so far this year.

* My challenges -- I don't have many clothes, and I wear things til they fall apart.  :)  I work in an office.  My current work wardrobe is ok, but old and limited.  It would be badass to make those workhorse business clothes last to the end of 2018. 

Final interesting wrinkle -- I am planning to FIRE next year.  If I can make it til the end of this year without replacing a single thing, could I maybe make it the whole way to FIRE?  Meaning I am already done buying work clothes forever?  Intriguing . . .   Thank you for such a hard-core, bright line thread!!!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »
Happier I love this!

You’re a champ! My inspiration :)

Haha, thank you :)  My body has changed a lot in the last couple of years since turning 40 and I started just getting rid of the pairs that don't fit nicely, then realized I got rid of almost everything. But that taught me that yep, I'm willing to hold out for fabric that I prefer and therefore to hold out on purchasing because they are expensive.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »
Wow Trifele, that would be major motivation for me to not buy anything I couldn't also wear after FIRE.

I have struggled.  I never bought the sneakers I was going to buy in December, so I decided to pull out my retired pair.  I worked out in them yesterday, and I realized they are entirely smooth on the bottom instead of providing any traction whatsoever.  So off to the goodwill pile they go.  I still have the one pair that the tread is peeling off of, and I was gifted that Kohl's cash, so I had convinced myself to get new shoes at Kohls.  I even put them in my cart online.

This morning I decided to glue the treads back down on my current shoes and see how long they last that way.  I also won't wear them at all unless working out.  I have other shoes I can wear just for casual wear.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »
Nice will power @AmandaPanda