Author Topic: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018  (Read 32266 times)

Sanne

• Stubble
Re: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2018, 01:21:19 AM »
This challenge is awsome, there was a year when we spent around 3k on clothes, so this is def an improvement for us.

I think you did great, I think the main reason was limiting shopping/adding and awareness right? Certainly an improvement from 3k! Even if you go from here buying things, if you do it mindfully.

My black nicer pair of skinny 'jeans' came out of the washing machine with all sorts of weird stripes, stains and folds for some reason. That happened earlier as well and I don't know why, something about the fabric. Will have to see if I can fix it up a little and can still wear it to work.. Spring/summer I don't really need it, but autumn/winter that's my go to pair.. Otherwise I will have to improvise and wear other stuff more. Not that easy but still do-able. I also have a pair of faded black 'jeans' that could work, not as nice but the faded style is 'in' anyway right...

Don't know what your current method is but turning them inside out for the wash and using liquid and minimal detergent might help with marks.

Unfortunately I'm already doing this. I thought maybe I didn't turn it inside out the last time and the marks and stuff were there then too, so I turned it inside out this time for sure but no difference unfortunately. I'm not a great washer though but usually things turn out fine. Minimal detergent, line drying. It may just have to be the fabric. I specifically bought a 'stay black' fabric but it wasn't worth the money..

Thanks for the tips though! If anyone has any other tips, I'd love to hear.

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #351 on: May 15, 2018, 09:44:20 AM »
Almost didn't make it. It was so close. I went on a business trip to Denmark last week and the place I was staying had a really nice pool and I forgot to pack my bathing suit. I was so tempted to go out and buy one but the thought of posting on here that I was out kept me in check (just barely) plus I headed up not having a chance to hit the pool anyway so it would have been a waste of money.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:21:06 PM by haypug16 »

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2018, 04:49:02 AM »
Always didn't make it. It was so close. I went on a business trip to Denmark last week and the place I was staying had a really nice pool and I forgot to pack my bathing suit. I was so tempted to go out and buy one but the thought of posting on here that I was out kept me in check (just barely) plus I headed up not having a chance to hit the pool anyway so it would have been a waste of money.

Congrats Haypug!  Nice exercise of willpower. You're right that dropping out of the thread for buying something you didn't need anyway would have been bitter. 

So cool that you got to go to Denmark!  Hope you had some time on the trip to sightsee.

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2018, 01:22:07 PM »
Thanks Trifele, Yes I had a couple extra days of sight seeing and the weather was unusually nice for Denmark, high 60s and sunny.

shinn497

• Stubble
« Reply #354 on: May 21, 2018, 10:04:16 PM »
I have like not bought new clothes in years! Yay being an software developer

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #355 on: May 22, 2018, 01:52:15 AM »
I have like not bought new clothes in years! Yay being an software developer

I have a lot to learn ;)

Plina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #356 on: May 27, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
This challenge is awsome, there was a year when we spent around 3k on clothes, so this is def an improvement for us.

I think you did great, I think the main reason was limiting shopping/adding and awareness right? Certainly an improvement from 3k! Even if you go from here buying things, if you do it mindfully.

My black nicer pair of skinny 'jeans' came out of the washing machine with all sorts of weird stripes, stains and folds for some reason. That happened earlier as well and I don't know why, something about the fabric. Will have to see if I can fix it up a little and can still wear it to work.. Spring/summer I don't really need it, but autumn/winter that's my go to pair.. Otherwise I will have to improvise and wear other stuff more. Not that easy but still do-able. I also have a pair of faded black 'jeans' that could work, not as nice but the faded style is 'in' anyway right...

Don't know what your current method is but turning them inside out for the wash and using liquid and minimal detergent might help with marks.

Unfortunately I'm already doing this. I thought maybe I didn't turn it inside out the last time and the marks and stuff were there then too, so I turned it inside out this time for sure but no difference unfortunately. I'm not a great washer though but usually things turn out fine. Minimal detergent, line drying. It may just have to be the fabric. I specifically bought a 'stay black' fabric but it wasn't worth the money..

Thanks for the tips though! If anyone has any other tips, I'd love to hear.

If it had some kind of feature Ēstay blackĒ you could always try to take it back to the store. When we were kids my mother used some kind of color that you put in to the washing machine to color jeans again. Maybe that is an option.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #357 on: May 27, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »
I should have said earlier that the best thing for black jeans is to just not wash them very often. They are almost as bad as white jeans for keeping 'nice'.

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #358 on: June 05, 2018, 01:34:59 PM »
Made it through May. I have even been getting rid of clothes this year! Though now I'm thinking 2019 will be the year I build myself a nice capsule wardrobe (or even a "uniform") so I don't have to think about what I'm wearing for work anymore.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: June 05, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »
Still here, made it through May fine.  Nothing purchased.  :)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #360 on: June 10, 2018, 03:36:24 AM »
I should have said earlier that the best thing for black jeans is to just not wash them very often. They are almost as bad as white jeans for keeping 'nice'.

Yes, I agree. I don't wash it very often.

The strange thing is that the black is still black. It just has weird stripes on it. Our washing machine broke 2 weeks ago and I didn't know yet at the time it would. So maybe that was the problem? I don't know. I don't have the receipt anyway and bought it 9/10 months ago so don't feel good about going back.

Still haven't bought anything! Going strong. Even brought some things to the second hand shop. And been on holiday and didn't buy anything.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #361 on: June 21, 2018, 08:46:42 AM »
My mom asked yesterday if I was still not buying clothes.  Then she said "what exactly are you trying to prove?"  She is a consumerist at heart, so her response was "what does NEED have to do with anything?"

With summer in full swing here, I kind of forgot about buying clothes recently, which is a nice change.  I did think this morning of two items I'll want to purchase for next summer, but they are reasonable. 

Also, a coworker asked me how many pairs of shoes I had for summer.  She was asking out of curiosity, and I told her 8.  Later I was thinking and realized it was 12.  Specifically for summer.  Very embarrassing to realize that I have that many shoes just for work just for summer.  And none are in danger of wearing out any time soon.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: June 21, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
Great job, Amanda! It really does get easier. Iím in the same boat for shoes... Well, everything really. Just way, way too much.

My sister visited recently and wanted to go shopping. Being a good host, I agreed. Itís just not something I do anymore, so I feel a bit like an alien observing whatís out there. I saw some nice things, appreciated them, and moved on.

Nearly halfway through the year and so far no temptations.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #363 on: June 22, 2018, 03:02:13 AM »
My mom asked yesterday if I was still not buying clothes.  Then she said "what exactly are you trying to prove?"  She is a consumerist at heart, so her response was "what does NEED have to do with anything?"

Suck...<Puts palm against forehead>.

Also, a coworker asked me how many pairs of shoes I had for summer.  She was asking out of curiosity, and I told her 8.  Later I was thinking and realized it was 12.  Specifically for summer.  Very embarrassing to realize that I have that many shoes just for work just for summer.  And none are in danger of wearing out any time soon.

Then at least, you won't have to buy new shoes for the next 10 or so years.
I also have many pairs of shoes. We have been commented on by family members. But mostly they are different types of shoes for different purposes: pretty, comfy, running, cycling, hiking, mud, skiing, etc. But both DH and I have (in the past had) a tendency to buy a pair of shoes when it is on sale with the thought that this could be our next pair for that purpose. So we actually have in some cases more than 1 pair for the same purpose.

My strategy is just to not go shopping. Then it is less tempting to buy anything new.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #364 on: June 29, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »

Suck...<Puts palm against forehead>.

Haha, this reply is why I don't tell a lot of people that I'm doing the no shopping clothes thing. Few people around me get it.

YOU DESERVE something new!!! You work hard for it! It's nice to have new things! How boring! What's the point!

Funny thing when I don't tell people, they don't notice and sometimes think things are new but aren't (and they've seen it  multiple times).

Reminds me of a shopping trip with friends a few years ago and one of these friends was complaining all the time about her lack of money. She tried on a basic shirt and a glitter sweater. The sweater was clearly something you would wear once (maybe twice) to a party. She said she didn't have money to buy both but that she really wanted to buy at least one. She asked me and another friend for advice. My other friend said she liked the glittery sweater and that she had to buy that one. I asked what she needed the most (at first I said something about her lack of money but that didn't go well) and they both looked at me as if I was going crazy and they both said that was a lame/boring question. My friend then said she desperately needed a basic shirt because she didn't have one anymore and she couldn't wear a lot of her clothes without it. But then kept on debating what she should buy. She got a bit pissed when I said I didn't understand why she was even debating it and she didn't buy anything as I can recall because she couldn't make up her mind. Well, mission accomplished I guess.. ;)

I went to a (small) festival and people were dressed so nice I would've definitely gone shopping after if not for this challenge. I made some new combinations instead and looked at pinterest for inspiration.  Instead of shopping I even cleared out my closet even more than I already had previously. So easy to see what I just don't wear enough.

'Kudoos' for everyone still going strong!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:36:53 AM by Sanne »

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: June 29, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »
To my list of things I will buy I have added a medium thickness jumper that can be worn with my t-shirts (most have a high neck line). Possibly a smart looking sweatshirt? My current two round necked jumpers have a wider neck line so I cover up the weird look with a scarf but it doesn't really work. I have one v neck but it is hot pink and goes with not much ;)

On my list:
Shorts
Jumper
White singlet
Bras.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #366 on: June 30, 2018, 08:24:16 AM »
Mid-year check in -- Still here, nothing bought.  I feel like I'm in a good place -- no great desires for anything.  I am probably looking ratty at times but don't care.  I can't even think of any clothes I'll need to buy next year.  It's all very peaceful and zen.  :)

Not sure how many of us are left, but hope everyone is doing well!  Hang in there. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:31:29 AM by Trifele »

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #367 on: July 02, 2018, 06:29:15 AM »
Made it through the first half of the year and still going strong.

As far as purchases for next year It's pretty basic;
Knee highs
Socks
Underwear
1 pair of work pants

That should do it. :)

BrakeForTurtles

• Bristles
« Reply #368 on: July 02, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
Halfway through! I just got back from an overseas trip and on the way home I was dreaming of the perfect hot weather travel outfit: a knee length linen dress with capped sleeves, pockets and a collar. I started looking for something and found a dress that ticks all those boxes...and then I was like "Oh yeah - no clothes shopping! Will have to wait for 2019". It was a bit of a relief to not have to commit to the purchase to try the dress out. I'd love to learn to make my own as a dress like that seems hard to find.

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: July 02, 2018, 10:39:52 AM »
Still in for the second half of the year. On my list for next year is still just bike shorts and a thigh/knee length winter coat. It's great having a boss who doesn't really care what I wear and wouldn't notice if I wore the same shirt 5 days in a row (unless it was dirty of smelled bad).

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #370 on: July 12, 2018, 02:27:47 AM »
Yesterday was the first time I really nearly bought something or was definitely tempted. Went to a bigger thrift store to look for some pots for plants and found myself looking through the clothing section. There were some nice things there, some even 50% discount.. I don't know why I started browsing.

No more going to thrift stores for me, unless it's with my boyfriend so I don't do the aimless browsing thing...

Just_Looking_Here

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #371 on: July 27, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
Having fun wearing things in new combinations so no need to buy anything as yet. I may get a few pairs of trousers altered as they are too large on the waist and a slimmer leg will look more current than the wide legs that were 'in' 10 years ago!

I've also found that my husband has quite a stockpile of chino's that now fit me too... I may have to downgrade my old baggy / saggy chino's for gardening / smallholding and appropriate one of his spare pairs?

haypug16

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #372 on: July 30, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
I was really tempted this past week. I went into a Ski n Sun shop in NH and was looking at the clearance skis they had and managed to drift into the clothing section and saw they had Patagonia shorts on sale! My dream is to retire and live in Patagonia clothes. They are soooo comfortable. Anyway, I resisted as I don't NEED any more shorts but as soon as I do you know I'm going to be checking the clearance section for Patagonia anything. :)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: August 03, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »
Today is Day 215. I find that it's getting easier and easier to say "no."

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: Today at 02:03:21 AM »
I'm out! I ordered a jumper in two sizes online because I have basically have one jumper and the neck is too wide to wear with everything. One size arrived today and I'm not entirely sure I'll be keeping either one as the shape is odd but still, the shopping has happened and I must banish myself! From here I could probably make it a good few more months but I really really need a decent bra so I may just say stuff it.

Good luck to all still standing!