Author Topic: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018  (Read 27780 times)

Sanne

• Stubble
Re: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2018, 01:21:19 AM »
This challenge is awsome, there was a year when we spent around 3k on clothes, so this is def an improvement for us.

I think you did great, I think the main reason was limiting shopping/adding and awareness right? Certainly an improvement from 3k! Even if you go from here buying things, if you do it mindfully.

My black nicer pair of skinny 'jeans' came out of the washing machine with all sorts of weird stripes, stains and folds for some reason. That happened earlier as well and I don't know why, something about the fabric. Will have to see if I can fix it up a little and can still wear it to work.. Spring/summer I don't really need it, but autumn/winter that's my go to pair.. Otherwise I will have to improvise and wear other stuff more. Not that easy but still do-able. I also have a pair of faded black 'jeans' that could work, not as nice but the faded style is 'in' anyway right...

Don't know what your current method is but turning them inside out for the wash and using liquid and minimal detergent might help with marks.

Unfortunately I'm already doing this. I thought maybe I didn't turn it inside out the last time and the marks and stuff were there then too, so I turned it inside out this time for sure but no difference unfortunately. I'm not a great washer though but usually things turn out fine. Minimal detergent, line drying. It may just have to be the fabric. I specifically bought a 'stay black' fabric but it wasn't worth the money..

Thanks for the tips though! If anyone has any other tips, I'd love to hear.

haypug16

• Bristles
« Reply #351 on: May 15, 2018, 09:44:20 AM »
Almost didn't make it. It was so close. I went on a business trip to Denmark last week and the place I was staying had a really nice pool and I forgot to pack my bathing suit. I was so tempted to go out and buy one but the thought of posting on here that I was out kept me in check (just barely) plus I headed up not having a chance to hit the pool anyway so it would have been a waste of money.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:21:06 PM by haypug16 »

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2018, 04:49:02 AM »
Always didn't make it. It was so close. I went on a business trip to Denmark last week and the place I was staying had a really nice pool and I forgot to pack my bathing suit. I was so tempted to go out and buy one but the thought of posting on here that I was out kept me in check (just barely) plus I headed up not having a chance to hit the pool anyway so it would have been a waste of money.

Congrats Haypug!  Nice exercise of willpower. You're right that dropping out of the thread for buying something you didn't need anyway would have been bitter. 

So cool that you got to go to Denmark!  Hope you had some time on the trip to sightsee.

haypug16

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2018, 01:22:07 PM »
Thanks Trifele, Yes I had a couple extra days of sight seeing and the weather was unusually nice for Denmark, high 60s and sunny.

shinn497

• Stubble
« Reply #354 on: May 21, 2018, 10:04:16 PM »
I have like not bought new clothes in years! Yay being an software developer

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #355 on: May 22, 2018, 01:52:15 AM »
I have like not bought new clothes in years! Yay being an software developer

I have a lot to learn ;)

Plina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #356 on: May 27, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
This challenge is awsome, there was a year when we spent around 3k on clothes, so this is def an improvement for us.

I think you did great, I think the main reason was limiting shopping/adding and awareness right? Certainly an improvement from 3k! Even if you go from here buying things, if you do it mindfully.

My black nicer pair of skinny 'jeans' came out of the washing machine with all sorts of weird stripes, stains and folds for some reason. That happened earlier as well and I don't know why, something about the fabric. Will have to see if I can fix it up a little and can still wear it to work.. Spring/summer I don't really need it, but autumn/winter that's my go to pair.. Otherwise I will have to improvise and wear other stuff more. Not that easy but still do-able. I also have a pair of faded black 'jeans' that could work, not as nice but the faded style is 'in' anyway right...

Don't know what your current method is but turning them inside out for the wash and using liquid and minimal detergent might help with marks.

Unfortunately I'm already doing this. I thought maybe I didn't turn it inside out the last time and the marks and stuff were there then too, so I turned it inside out this time for sure but no difference unfortunately. I'm not a great washer though but usually things turn out fine. Minimal detergent, line drying. It may just have to be the fabric. I specifically bought a 'stay black' fabric but it wasn't worth the money..

Thanks for the tips though! If anyone has any other tips, I'd love to hear.

If it had some kind of feature ”stay black” you could always try to take it back to the store. When we were kids my mother used some kind of color that you put in to the washing machine to color jeans again. Maybe that is an option.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #357 on: May 27, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »
I should have said earlier that the best thing for black jeans is to just not wash them very often. They are almost as bad as white jeans for keeping 'nice'.

haypug16

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: June 05, 2018, 01:34:59 PM »
Made it through May. I have even been getting rid of clothes this year! Though now I'm thinking 2019 will be the year I build myself a nice capsule wardrobe (or even a "uniform") so I don't have to think about what I'm wearing for work anymore.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: June 05, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »
Still here, made it through May fine.  Nothing purchased.  :)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #360 on: June 10, 2018, 03:36:24 AM »
I should have said earlier that the best thing for black jeans is to just not wash them very often. They are almost as bad as white jeans for keeping 'nice'.

Yes, I agree. I don't wash it very often.

The strange thing is that the black is still black. It just has weird stripes on it. Our washing machine broke 2 weeks ago and I didn't know yet at the time it would. So maybe that was the problem? I don't know. I don't have the receipt anyway and bought it 9/10 months ago so don't feel good about going back.

Still haven't bought anything! Going strong. Even brought some things to the second hand shop. And been on holiday and didn't buy anything.