Author Topic: ☆ April 2019 ☆ Transformation Challenge (Health + Fitness)  (Read 3486 times)

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
Re: ☆ April 2019 ☆ Transformation Challenge (Health + Fitness)
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2019, 08:05:14 AM »
@Jim Fiction - You're making awesome progress. Give your body a bit of time to recuperate and you'll be back at it in no time. It's much better to give yourself the time you need to recover rather than jumping back in too early and hurting yourself further. It's a new day, chug some water and keep being awesome. You're making great progress already just two weeks in, so do cut yourself some slack. :-) I'm dealing with a knee-sprain too, but we have PLENTY of time to rest, recuperate, and come back swinging!

brandon1827

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2019, 10:08:53 AM »
With my first 5k coming near, I have now succumbed to some of the worst workout related injuries in my 15+ years exercising (not including the hernia surgeries, but those were straightforward).

My back that I messed up on my last set of squats at 355 a month ago has taken far longer and been far worse than expected. I went to the chiro twice with no help.

Last week, doing bench press, I messed up my right shoulder in a way I never have before, and itís really been a hindrance now. Usually just a little tweak, was worse this time.

I think I pushed myself too hard running (a few weeks ago I ran a 10k Wednesday, Friday, then 7 miles on that Sunday) and my right shin/calf have continued to hurt.

I have slowly been reeling everything back from where it was. Iím taking ibuprofen and tylenol which as helped a lot. Iíve cut my lifting back a lot, same with cardio.

Please be careful continuing to workout with a back injury. I think those of us that workout all the time tend to try to work through injuries instead of taking needed time off to heal and rest. I think something that may seem like a minor injury can quickly snowball into something much worse if you don't take care of it. I've seen in myself and several athlete friends as we get older that we are hesitant to take time off because we don't want to lose gains we've made...or we just abhor the thought of not exercising regularly...but it can be huge for your overall health and well-being. I slipped a disc in my back doing a HIIT workout last October. It was bad enough that I just could not do much and ended up taking a full 4-5 weeks off and just letting my body heal. I then started back slowly and now I feel better than I have in years. I think lots of us tend to downplay minor aches and pains, but I learned through that time that rest and recovery can be just as important as routinely working out for your overall health. That's a really long-winded way for me to say...be careful with that back. If you're exercising with an injury, it will inevitably affect your form and could lead to injuries in other body parts and cost you much more time than if you just took the time off to let your body heal properly.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »
Sun Hat and Lex - thank you both for the encouragement! The most frustrating thing for me is I have no idea where the injuries came from. With the wrist I simply woke up with it one morning - I initially thought I slept on it wrong - but it has endured. The knee was a similar thing - I came home from work and I felt a sharp pain walking up the stairs to my apartment. I never felt either injury happen, nor were they preceded by a workout so I don't really have anything to point to in order to ensure they don't happen again.

ItsALongStory

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2019, 07:15:36 PM »
Might be related to how long ago your date of birth was ;-) much longer ago than it used to be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2019, 06:01:48 AM »
Day 16

Currently down a bit, 131.8. Trying to keep the momentum going! With some of my time off from the gym because of the knee sprain my appetite has tanked and itís been hard getting all of my protein in. :-/ But I will persist!

Exercise
  • Recovery
Nutrition
  • AM: Coffee + Nutpods creamer x2 (20cal, 0g protein)
  • Breakfast: --
  • Lunch: 1/2 Moeís Bowl
  • Dinner: Big salad
  • Snack: Navel oranges, cherries

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2019, 06:03:05 AM »
Sun Hat and Lex - thank you both for the encouragement! The most frustrating thing for me is I have no idea where the injuries came from. With the wrist I simply woke up with it one morning - I initially thought I slept on it wrong - but it has endured. The knee was a similar thing - I came home from work and I felt a sharp pain walking up the stairs to my apartment. I never felt either injury happen, nor were they preceded by a workout so I don't really have anything to point to in order to ensure they don't happen again.
Yeah, I threw out my neck to the point I had to go to the doctor because the referred pain in my shoulder was excruciating.

This happened in my sleep. Iím 29. Ugh.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2019, 07:13:18 AM »
Down to 208.6, which is 6 lbs since I first posted here on 3/27.

198.0 is my end goal, and on pace to hit it in ~6-7 weeks.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2019, 06:50:18 AM »
With some of my time off from the gym because of the knee sprain my appetite has tanked and itís been hard getting all of my protein in.

I'm having the opposite issue at the moment. With the uptick in my exercise and controlling my calories, I'm ravenous. I know that protein is the answer, but I don't know how much to aim for. From what I've read online, I should be aiming for between 0.8 and 1.7 grams per kilo of body weight, but that's a huge range. Can I ask what you cats use as a guideline when you want to lose fat (priority #1) and gain strength (priority #2)?

I'm a "most of the time" vegetarian, so my usual sources of protein are things like quinoa, beans and lentils but they don't seem to be very calorie efficient vehicles for protein. I also eat plant protein powder, but it's unappetizing.

(Also, for those of you suffering from mystery injuries that arose in your sleep - I feel for you. I'll note that the only thing worse is injuries that occur while doing ridiculously easy things, because then the shame stays with you. For instance, I injured a disk while gardening a few  years ago, and sprained a toe while stretching. There's a good reason that the traditional gift for a 40th birthday is ibuprofen. Alas!)

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2019, 07:52:45 AM »
With some of my time off from the gym because of the knee sprain my appetite has tanked and itís been hard getting all of my protein in.

I'm having the opposite issue at the moment. With the uptick in my exercise and controlling my calories, I'm ravenous. I know that protein is the answer, but I don't know how much to aim for. From what I've read online, I should be aiming for between 0.8 and 1.7 grams per kilo of body weight, but that's a huge range. Can I ask what you cats use as a guideline when you want to lose fat (priority #1) and gain strength (priority #2)?

I'm a "most of the time" vegetarian, so my usual sources of protein are things like quinoa, beans and lentils but they don't seem to be very calorie efficient vehicles for protein. I also eat plant protein powder, but it's unappetizing.

(Also, for those of you suffering from mystery injuries that arose in your sleep - I feel for you. I'll note that the only thing worse is injuries that occur while doing ridiculously easy things, because then the shame stays with you. For instance, I injured a disk while gardening a few  years ago, and sprained a toe while stretching. There's a good reason that the traditional gift for a 40th birthday is ibuprofen. Alas!)

I'm in the imperial system, but I always recommend the IIFYM calculator. IIFYM = if it fits your macros, which basically means you can eat whatever you want as long as it's within your macros (fat/protein/carbs).

https://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

It calculates for both.

Honestly, if you're vegetarian but not vegan, I would highly recommend supplementing your protein with a shake. When working out, I like to do a protein shake with 1 scoop of optimum nutrition gold standard whey (vanilla ice cream & double rich chocolate are the best flavors), 1c almond milk, 1/2 banana, and then either a tbsp of PB2 for a chocolate-banana-pb shake or 1c of other frozen fruit for a vanilla-fruit shake (strawberry-banana or blueberries are usually my go-to). It's a pretty easy way to get in ~30g-35g of protein. If you don't like whey protein, you could go for casein/egg white protein, but it's more expensive.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2019, 08:04:05 AM »
Thanks Lexde!

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2019, 08:05:09 AM »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2019, 08:07:02 AM »
Day 16

Currently down a bit, 131.8. Trying to keep the momentum going! With some of my time off from the gym because of the knee sprain my appetite has tanked and itís been hard getting all of my protein in. :-/ But I will persist!

Exercise
  • Recovery
Nutrition
  • AM: Coffee + Nutpods creamer x2 (20cal, 0g protein)
  • Breakfast: --
  • Lunch: 1/2 Moeís Bowl
  • Dinner: Big salad
  • Snack: Navel oranges, cherries

Iím battling the same issue having to take it easy. Unfortunately - I am pretty strongly against trying to diet hard (lose weight) if not able to lift heavy/regularly. If youíre already taking time off exercise, itís important to get all the calories needed to maintain as much as muscle as possible. Once you hit a calorie deficit itís already hard enough to maintain muscle, decrease exercise on top of it and itís more likely to lose muscle along with the fat.

As such - until my lifting is back regular, which will be a couple weeks (if iím Smart) my weight will remain mostly the same. Iím still doing the exercises I can at around 70% effort, and my running has gone from close to 20 miles/wk, to around 9-10 (with some extra elliptical). I have increased my stretching a ton, 3x a day, and adding in push ups and planks during stretch sessions.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »
With my first 5k coming near, I have now succumbed to some of the worst workout related injuries in my 15+ years exercising (not including the hernia surgeries, but those were straightforward).

My back that I messed up on my last set of squats at 355 a month ago has taken far longer and been far worse than expected. I went to the chiro twice with no help.

Last week, doing bench press, I messed up my right shoulder in a way I never have before, and itís really been a hindrance now. Usually just a little tweak, was worse this time.

I think I pushed myself too hard running (a few weeks ago I ran a 10k Wednesday, Friday, then 7 miles on that Sunday) and my right shin/calf have continued to hurt.

I have slowly been reeling everything back from where it was. Iím taking ibuprofen and tylenol which as helped a lot. Iíve cut my lifting back a lot, same with cardio.

Please be careful continuing to workout with a back injury. I think those of us that workout all the time tend to try to work through injuries instead of taking needed time off to heal and rest. I think something that may seem like a minor injury can quickly snowball into something much worse if you don't take care of it. I've seen in myself and several athlete friends as we get older that we are hesitant to take time off because we don't want to lose gains we've made...or we just abhor the thought of not exercising regularly...but it can be huge for your overall health and well-being. I slipped a disc in my back doing a HIIT workout last October. It was bad enough that I just could not do much and ended up taking a full 4-5 weeks off and just letting my body heal. I then started back slowly and now I feel better than I have in years. I think lots of us tend to downplay minor aches and pains, but I learned through that time that rest and recovery can be just as important as routinely working out for your overall health. That's a really long-winded way for me to say...be careful with that back. If you're exercising with an injury, it will inevitably affect your form and could lead to injuries in other body parts and cost you much more time than if you just took the time off to let your body heal properly.

Just saw this now - thank you for the input. I definitely agree with the post and am continuing to take it easier and easier and avoiding things that work, and now avoiding large things altogether. For a few weeks after injuring during backsquat I found I was able to do front squat fine (on the smith) but then even that started to hurt. My legs the last couple weeks and until at least after my 5K will mostly just be some various leg curls, DB lunges, and seated calf raises. I avoid leg extensions anymore as they can be hard on the kneeís.

When injuring different things over the year, Iíve always been pretty diligent to just ďavoid what hurtsĒ and it has served me well. Sunday, oddly, my easy 3 mile run started to hurt my back, which has never happened.

Along with the stretching, Iím making a special point to be mindful of my posture at work, driving, etc., which also helps. Looks like now I will also be mindful of my posture while I run as well.

philli14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2019, 07:16:20 PM »
4/19

First check in in a little while. Close to 12h of sleep. First day back in the gym after a mini deload/rest period. Pull day.

1. Pullups 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, 30sec rest between - Best this has felt in a while, still really tough
2. Seated rows 4x8 @245#, last set drop set (no rest between) 245#x8 -> 215#x8 -> 185#x8 -> 155#x8 - Up 5# from last week
3. Lateral delt raise 3x12 @15# superset with rear delt raise 3x12 @15# superset with straight arm pull down 3x10 @65# - Upped weight on straight arm pulldowns, delt work still feels ok at 15#
4. Paloff deadbugs 2x20 superset with physioball planks 2x24
5. Band bicep curls AMRAP 60sec/20 rest/40sec/20 rest/20sec - not performed today
6. Plate holds (2x10# plates pinched together in each hand), 60sec

Felt terrible today energy wise. Just absolutely gassed, felt close to vomiting throughout. But got it done, and it was a better workout on paper than last week.

Serendip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2019, 09:54:53 AM »
Was visiting family this week and had a slight re-injury of my back so will rest for the weekend and start up at the gym again next week! Good work everyone!

philli14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2019, 07:48:08 PM »
4/20

9h sleep. Feeling decent. Right pec feeling strained but giving it a go.

1. Bench press 5x5 @275. Absolute shit today, only managed 5/5/4/3/1. (Last week 5/5/4/4/3). Don't even think it was the pec, just didn't have the energy.
2. Alternating DB chest press 3x11 @75s. 11-11-6.. last set was just gassed. Frustrating.
3. Triple superset. Deadbug/paloff 3x20 with weighted V-ups 3x8 @25# with plyo push-up 3x10 onto 18" box. Held plyo pushups again.

Two days in a row, this time objectively and subjectively worse. Hoping it's just an anomoly and that I get back on track next week.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2019, 07:16:50 AM »
Successfully Intermittent Fasting the past 3 weeks straight.

I utilize a 16-17 hour fast, followed by 7-8 hour feeding window.

Train fasted 90% of the time, regardless of weights, running, or MTB riding.

Down ~8 lbs in 24 days so far, but the next 8 will be slower to come off.

Happy Easter everyone! Make sure to Windex your food and "eat clean'.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: Today at 08:39:27 AM »
Weight Tracker:
205.5 lbs (as of 4/1)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/8)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/15)
200.0 lbs (as of 4/22)

General Goals:
Stick to Low-carb/Ketoish diet
Eliminate snacking at work
Better portion control
Limit beer intake (my Achilles for sure!)
Workout 3x per week (including at least one home workout)
Get under 200 lbs by end of April

Given that Saturday we celebrated my FIL's birthday and Sunday was Easter I am happy to be at the same weight as last week. I was pretty gluttonous, so I was expecting higher. For the second week in a row, I weighed myself midweek and was actually down a few pounds, so it is becoming apparent that weekends are a bit of a trap for me. Another issue is that my wife and SIL are losing motivation, and since we started this together and meal plan and cook together, it is complicating things a bit. Thankfully we did meal-prep for the week so I know I will stick to the plan which is clearly working. I just have to watch for the weekend lapse. I was thinking of incorporating some fasting elements during the weekend to help with this, but I want to do a little reading up on that first.

On the physical activity side of things - my knee and wrist continue to slowly improve, but not to the point of doing anything full-bore so I am going to try out a light jumping jack circuit tonight to see how that goes.