Author Topic: 50 books in 2020!  (Read 61647 times)

redhead84

• Stubble
Re: 50 books in 2020!
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2020, 07:40:13 AM »
DH was gone so I got more reading in than normal this past weekend.

1) Exit West by Mohsin Hamid – Meets the “Read a book by or about a refugee” prompt on the Book Riot 2020 Read Harder Challenge
2) Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid
3) The Willies by Adam Falkner - The first collection of poetry I've read for personal enjoyment; does not meet any of the challenge prompts, but outside my normal comfort zone

Started: This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger

paulkots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »
I am in for 2020. I enjoy reading about travel, motorsports and history.

1. Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson, 577 pages

QuillScroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »
I'm in. Got off to a good start  -

1. Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High - Kerry Patterson (Can't recommend it enough, helped me a lot in carrying crucial dialogues at work)
2. The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin

Now reading -
3. GRIT  - Angela Duckworth
4. A search in secret India - Paul Bronton (this is a repeated reading, readt t years ago and revisiting now, but will include for this challenge)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
I'm very in. As always, my goal is 52 books -- a book a week is a nice pace for someone working 40 hours a week with other hobbies. ;)

1. Practical Magic, Alice Hoffman (library). I've been meaning to read this for quite a bit, as I enjoy the movie. The book is quite good. Hoffman's prose style is interesting and enjoyable, the story is generally well-plotted, and I really enjoyed her overall sensibility.

2. Classical Mythology, Elizabeth Vandiver (borrowed). This is a Great Courses lecture series, and it is FANTASTIC. There's plenty of great information in here, and Vandiver is engaging and fun as a lecturer. Plenty to learn and fun the whole way.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2020, 04:19:11 PM »
I'm in again!
Will check out the ReadHarder Challenge as inspiration and have done MUCH better the past few years of incorporating fiction.. I had some carryovers from last year as we were travelling for the holidays and the books crossed into 2020.

@diapasoun --I like your structure, following your lead!

1) Born A Crime, Trevor Noah (audiobook)--fantastic to listen to while on a long journey, he also reads the book which adds a lot of character

2) The Moth Presents Occasional Magic: True Stories About Defying the Impossible--a compilation of shorts as told at Moth storytelling events

3) The Silent Patient, Alex Michaelides (bookclub)-- Suspense/thriller is not a usual pick for me. Writing was fine but overall I don't think it deserves the hype it has received.

4) Face to Face: The Art of Human Connection, Brian Grazer--some good points about eye contact/engagement but mostly about his connections and movies that he has produced
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 12:58:19 PM by Serendip »

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »
I am joining.  Read about 35 last year, which was my first year to track.

1.  End of Watch Stephen King
2.  Elevation  Stephen King
3.  10:04  Ben Lerner in progress

SlowlyButSurely

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2020, 10:48:24 PM »
I'm in, as well. I had been planning to aim for 20 fiction and 20 non-fiction in 2020. I'll add to that 10 re-reads, mostly from my shelf of "read one more time and decide if I really want to keep them". I've knocked off two so far:

1. The antidote: Happiness for people who can't stand positive thinking by Oliver Burkeman (NF#1).
2. Midnight Riot (aka Rivers of London) by Ben Aaronovitch (F#1)

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »
It's been a good week for reading - my wife's been working late, so I have more evening time to spend on books. Second book of the year was Become a Successful Indie Author by Craig Martelle. I help my wife with the business side of her career as a writer, and it will be a very solid book for me to refer to moving forward.

1. Crier's War by Nina Varela - finished 01/01/2020
2. Become a Successful Indie Author by Craig Martelle - finished 01/06/2020

Currently Reading:
Better than Perfect by Elizabeth Lombardo
Fermat's Enigma by Simon Singh

Tess

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2020, 10:06:06 AM »
I'm in!

Currently reading:

*A Lesson Before Dying (Ernest Gaines)
*A Woman of No Importance (Sonia Purnell)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2020, 11:04:51 AM »
Completed

1. The Beautiful Mystery - Louise Penny (I've been re-reading her series in order these past few months - Her books are so much more than murder mysteries.  I find myself lingering over her delicious use of language and she really interesting/thoughtful things to say about the human condition. )
I love her books.  Did you know that the area of Quebec the setting is based on has established a tour guide for the spots?  It is on my list for travel.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2020, 11:42:50 AM »
Completed

1. The Beautiful Mystery - Louise Penny (I've been re-reading her series in order these past few months - Her books are so much more than murder mysteries.  I find myself lingering over her delicious use of language and she really interesting/thoughtful things to say about the human condition. )
I love her books.  Did you know that the area of Quebec the setting is based on has established a tour guide for the spots?  It is on my list for travel.

I lived in northern Vermont for a while and went to Montreal & Quebec as often as I could (Closer than driving to Boston or NYC).   I've seen a number of the locations she writes about in person already but I'm betting a tour would be great fun.  Especially with other like minded readers.  Pity Three Pines doesn't actually exist.  I'd totally stay at the inn.
No actual Three Pines, sadly - but apparently there is an inn and a bakery that the fictional inn is based on. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2020, 07:53:07 AM »

1) Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
2) The Lie, a memoire of two marriages, catfishing and coming out, William Dameron

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2020, 03:05:08 PM »
1. The Painted House by John Grisham*
2. Expecting Better by Emily Oster*

The Painted House - Much different than Grisham's normal work, but really enjoyable. I enjoyed the book being written in the innocent and funny perspective of a young boy.
Expecting better- I'm not pregnant, but I found it an interesting read regarding what is normally recommended to women while pregnant and what isn't really backed by science. Will be useful facts to know in a few years (or soon with pregnant coworkers!).

*Denotes Audiobook

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2020, 03:42:40 PM »
I'm in
1)  The Son by Jo Nesbø
2) Becoming Supernatural by Dr Joe Dispenza ( Audiobook)
3) still finishing " Recovery" by Russell Brand

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2020, 05:26:15 PM »
1. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (never read it as a kid, felt like I needed to)
2. To the Land of Long Lost Friends by Alexander McCall Smith
3. The Dinner by Herman Koch

4. The Bookshop on the Shore by Jenny Colgan (I'm a sucker for anything with 'bookshop' in the title)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2020, 01:37:10 PM »

1.  The Far Field by Madhuri Vijay, finished 01/02/2020 (excellent writing and timely with respect to Indian politics and Hindu nationalism, even though I was a bit disappointed in the predictable ending)

2. Golden Gate Gardening: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area & Coastal California, finished (read it two times through!) 01/10/2020.  I learned so much from this book, but feel I have so much more to learn!  I'd hope there are even better books out there for complete novice gardeners (regardless of geography), but this was a good start and it is super helpful with specific charts, suggestions and helpful tips on what grows best and when to plant in our area.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »
1) Born A Crime, Trevor Noah (audiobook)
2) The Moth Presents Occasional Magic: True Stories About Defying the Impossible
3) The Silent Patient, Alex Michaelides (bookclub)
4) Face to Face: The Art of Human Connection, Brian Grazer

5) The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere, Pico Iyer (re-read, short book but I love it so listened to the audiobook version)

working on
6) Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment, Robert Wright (re-read as I felt there was a lot to capture my first time through)
7) Textiles of the Banjara: Cloth and Culture of a Wandering Tribe, Charllotte Kwon & Tim McLaughlin, beautifully photographed coffee-table book, highlighting this particular group in India's history

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »
1) Behave - Robert Sapolsky. Really superb popular science writing - 790 pages on neurobiology, by way of genetics, evolution, endocrinology, sociobiology etc.
2) Lonely Planet - 50 natural wonders. Basically, a buzzfeed listicle in book form.
3) Lonely Planet - Hiking in Spain.
4) The Secret Commonwealth - The Book of Dust Volume 2 - Philip Pullman. Spent nearly a whole day reading it from start to finish. Brilliant.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2020, 02:56:22 PM »
1.  The Far Field by Madhuri Vijay, finished 01/02/2020 (excellent writing and timely with respect to Indian politics and Hindu nationalism, even though I was a bit disappointed in the predictable ending)

2. Golden Gate Gardening: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area & Coastal California by Pamela Peirce, finished (read it two times through!) 01/10/2020.  I learned so much from this book, but feel I have so much more to learn!  I'd hope there are even better books out there for complete novice gardeners (regardless of geography), but this was a good start and it is super helpful with specific charts, suggestions and helpful tips on what grows best and when to plant in our area.

3. Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebelions by Gloria Steinem, finished 01/11/2020. Took me a while to get around to this.  Depressing that it's still so on point.  Happy to read how intersectional she was/is.  I would not have expected that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:00:35 PM by sui generis »

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »

1. The Long Road Back to Boston  by Phillip Fields Ph.D
   2. Fearvana  by Akshay Nanavati
   3. Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person Shonda Rhimes

paulkots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
50 books in 2020!
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2020, 07:21:50 PM »
1. Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson, 577 pages
2. Driving Ambition: The Official Inside Story of the McLaren F1 by Doug Nye, Gordon Murray, and Ron Dennis, 271 pages
3. Circles In The Sand: Inside the Paris-Dakar Rally by Alastair Walker, 128 pages
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:00:58 AM by paulkots »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2020, 10:30:34 AM »
1) Behave - Robert Sapolsky. Really superb popular science writing - 790 pages on neurobiology, by way of genetics, evolution, endocrinology, sociobiology etc.
2) Lonely Planet - 50 natural wonders. Basically, a buzzfeed listicle in book form.
4) The Secret Commonwealth - The Book of Dust Volume 2 - Philip Pullman. Spent nearly a whole day reading it from start to finish, 600+ pages. Brilliant.
5) The University of Hard Knocks, by Ralph Parlette. An early self-help book, published in 1914. Missable, although one or two funny quotes.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:57:30 AM by cerat0n1a »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
1)  Girl, Woman, Other  by Bernardine Evaristo  2019 Booker Prize, gift from my DD

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2020, 08:31:57 PM »
1. The Unwinding of the Miracle by Julie Yip-Williams
2. Elemental: How the Periodic Table Can Now Explain (Nearly) Everything by Tim James
3. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
4. Sea Prayer by Khaled Hosseini (though I'm not sure I can count this one since it's quite short)

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2020, 07:14:35 AM »
1) Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
2) Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid
3) The Willies by Adam Falkner
4) Where the Lost Wander by Amy Harmon

IP: This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2020, 07:46:41 AM »
2) The Lie, a memoire of two marriages, catfishing and coming out, William Dameron
3) The Queston of Red, Laksmi Pamuntjak

The question of red is a very impressive book. It contains a lot of Indonisian history, which touches my Dutch history, the parts that we didn't learn about in school because we were the bad guys.

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2020, 10:21:03 AM »
Finally charged my Kindle Fire back up - mostly for my cross stitch patterns, but it'll make reading without getting distracted easier as well.

3. The Nesting Place by Myquillyn Smith - finished 01/10/2020
4. Pricing Strategies by Craig Martelle - finished 01/11/2020

Currently Reading:
Better than Perfect by Elizabeth Lombardo
Release Strategies by Craig Martelle

QuillScroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2020, 01:32:02 PM »
1. Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High - Kerry Patterson (Can't recommend it enough, helped me a lot in carrying crucial dialogues at work)
3. Deep Work - Cal Newport

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2020, 01:56:09 PM »

If you enjoyed Hillbilly Elegy, let me recommend Educated by Tara Westover.  Same topic, different personal experience.  The two books are very different in tone, Educated is more narrative, and if I remember correctly, Hillbilly Elegy felt more like a doctoral thesis, but both authors have a lot to say about U.S. culture from their unique perspective of personally bridging huge gaps in that culture.

I just read it earlier last year and loved it! I didn't grow up in environments as extreme, but there were certainly elements from both childhoods that I related to. Have you read The Glass Castle? One of my all-time favorites!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2020, 02:02:01 PM »
Currently working on:
-Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right by Jamie Glowacki (I'm finding the writing surprisingly entertaining)
-Downhill From Here: Retirement Insecurity in the Age of Inequality by Katherine S. Newman

In Queue:
The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »
1. Magical Capitalism: Enchantment, Spells, and Occult Practices in Contemporary Economies
2. [redacted] - unpublished manuscript by a friend
3. [redacted] - not owning up to a crappy (but fun)read
4. Darth Vader 1 comic omnibus, came with Amazon Prime
5. Darth Vader 2 (ditto)
6. Darth Vader 3  (ditto, and now working on number 4, which is the last one)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2020, 09:45:55 PM »

2. Golden Gate Gardening: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area & Coastal California by Pamela Peirce, finished (read it two times through!) 01/10/2020.  I learned so much from this book, but feel I have so much more to learn!  I'd hope there are even better books out there for complete novice gardeners (regardless of geography), but this was a good start and it is super helpful with specific charts, suggestions and helpful tips on what grows best and when to plant in our area.

3. Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebelions by Gloria Steinem, finished 01/11/2020. Took me a while to get around to this.  Depressing that it's still so on point.  Happy to read how intersectional she was/is.  I would not have expected that.

4. Then She Was Gone, by Lisa Jewell, finished 01/13/2020.  Couldn't sleep last night, so this quick read went even quicker than              expected.  I probably shouldn't delve too deep into a beach-read like this, but I was fascinated how it revealed so much of the mystery really early on.  That's different!  And, in the opposite problem than usual, I thought the ending helped the book rather than hindering it (see, e.g. #1 on my list). It was slightly unpredictable, which always helps, but still was not my favorite ending.  So middling overall.

My next two books are also by female authors, which means it will be a while before I read a book by a male in 2020.  And they are to be looked forward to: Alice Walker and Mary Beard.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2020, 09:05:54 AM »
1. Severance by Ling Ma

A Chinese immigrant to America tells the story of being one of the few survivors of a mysterious epidemic that zombifies almost all of humanity.  No brain eating, just good writing.

2.  A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

A Russian aristocrat is sentenced to life imprisonment in a Moscow Hotel and over the course of thirty some years, his life there unfolds.  Sweet and light, with occasional interesting philosophical observations.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »

3. Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person Shonda Rhimes
   4. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2020, 07:07:38 AM »
1)  Girl, Woman, Other  by Bernardine Evaristo  2019 Booker Prize, gift from my DD  Edited...and my DS.  He paid for half because DD didn't bring her cash Christmas shopping.
2) The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2020, 08:31:51 AM »
Currently Reading:
Odd Girl Out by Laura James - I'm super excited about this one! I've been looking for it for about a year now, and my library just added it to their OneDrive. Yay!

Didn't Finish:
Better than Perfect by Elizabeth Lombardo - I got about 20% of the way in, but the tips the author was giving just weren't the sort of thing I could implement with my current goals. It would probably be a good read for someone in different circumstances, it just wasn't for me.

Done:
3. The Nesting Place by Myquillyn Smith - finished 01/10/2020
4. Pricing Strategies by Craig Martelle - finished 01/11/2020
5. Release Strategies by Craig Martelle - finished 01/14/2020

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2020, 12:36:44 PM »

If you enjoyed Hillbilly Elegy, let me recommend Educated by Tara Westover.  Same topic, different personal experience.  The two books are very different in tone, Educated is more narrative, and if I remember correctly, Hillbilly Elegy felt more like a doctoral thesis, but both authors have a lot to say about U.S. culture from their unique perspective of personally bridging huge gaps in that culture.

I just read it earlier last year and loved it! I didn't grow up in environments as extreme, but there were certainly elements from both childhoods that I related to. Have you read The Glass Castle? One of my all-time favorites!

Yup.  I consider myself a connoisseur of difficult childhood memoirs.  I recently really enjoyed Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller about growing up in Africa during the civil wars.  I heard the author speak on the Live at Politics and Prose podcast and find her fascinating.

Adding the Fuller book to my list, thanks!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »
1. Practical Magic, Alice Hoffman (library). I've been meaning to read this for quite a bit, as I enjoy the movie. The book is quite good. Hoffman's prose style is interesting and enjoyable, the story is generally well-plotted, and I really enjoyed her overall sensibility.
2. Classical Mythology, Elizabeth Vandiver (borrowed). This is a Great Courses lecture series, and it is FANTASTIC. There's plenty of great information in here, and Vandiver is engaging and fun as a lecturer. Plenty to learn and fun the whole way.

3. The Bear and the Nightingale, Katherine Arden (library). I loved it! I loved the setting, the heroine, all the characters (even the ones I disliked), the fairy tale elements -- it was a big basket of fun and I want to read the second book.

Currently reading:
Middlegame, Seanan McGuire
The Book of the Courtier, Baldassare Castiglione

Pre-2020 books: 0/15

Local natural history and ecology: 0/9

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2020, 07:52:14 PM »
3. Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden, ND*
4. Scroogenomics by Joel Waldfogel*

*Denotes Audiobook

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »
1) Born A Crime, Trevor Noah (audiobook)
2) The Moth Presents Occasional Magic: True Stories About Defying the Impossible
3) The Silent Patient, Alex Michaelides (bookclub)
4) Face to Face: The Art of Human Connection, Brian Grazer
5) The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere, Pico Iyer
6) Self-Knowledge, The School of Life (Alain de Botton) : by the organization attempting to redeem the genre of self-help by creating thoughtful & approachable courses and books on philosophy and self-awareness

working on
6) Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment, Robert Wright (re-read as I felt there was a lot to capture my first time through)
7) Textiles of the Banjara: Cloth and Culture of a Wandering Tribe, Charllotte Kwon & Tim McLaughlin, beautifully photographed coffee-table book, highlighting this particular group in India's history
8) A Gentleman in Moscow, Amor Towles
9) These Truths: A History of the Unites States, Jill Lepore (This might take a while to get through but I am only a few pages in to the over 700+page book and already enjoying the writing style)

QuillScroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2020, 07:31:25 AM »
1. Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High - Kerry Patterson
3. Deep Work - Cal Newport
4. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance - Angela Duckworth
5. The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »

I started in an old book called "Grønn ungdom hele livet" (Green youth my whole life), by Peter Tutein. But halfway I got the impression I was wasting my time. There are some interesting elements in the story, but a lot of not so interesting stuff in between.
Now I started in "Dubbel zes" (Double Six) by Daphne Deckers. This reads much better. I got it from my mother at Christmas. She had bought it for herself and just finished it.

FICurious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2020, 01:10:36 PM »
1. Map of Days - Ransom Riggs

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2020, 03:58:59 PM »
3. Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden, ND*
4. Scroogenomics by Joel Waldfogel*
5. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky*

*Denotes Audiobook
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:03:28 PM by penguintroopers »

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2020, 12:03:03 AM »
1. The book of speculation - Erica Skylar - hmmmm started promisingly but sped read the last 1/4
2. Good girl, bad girl - Michael Robotham (audiobook) kept my 17yo son and I hooked on a long road trip
3. Decuttering - Deborah Robertson (audio) breezy, UK perspective. Nothing new, but entertaining, and inspired yet another sweep of the house for unnecessary crap.
4. Now you see them (#5 Brighton mysteries) - Elly Griffiths. This series gets better as it goes along, but not as good as her Ruth Galloway forensic archaelogist series.
5. A Bitter feast - Deborah Crombie. Latest installment in her married detectives duo. Not her best but still entertaining.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2020, 02:27:58 PM »
   4. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
   5. Black Echo by Michael Connelly

Have you ever seen a movie of a book you read and the main character is nothing like you imagined? I've read a number of Michael Connelly's Bosch series and the Bosch character in the Amazon series just didn't match, but now that is all I see now when reading more of the series.

PS:Bonus day! I went to the Friend of the Library clearance sale today and got a stack(8) of books for $2 .
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:18:53 PM by dblaace »

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2020, 03:28:05 PM »
1. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (never read it as a kid, felt like I needed to)
2. To the Land of Long Lost Friends by Alexander McCall Smith
3. The Dinner by Herman Koch
4. The Bookshop on the Shore by Jenny Colgan (I'm a sucker for anything with 'bookshop' in the title)

5. The Book of Dreams by Nina George

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2020, 11:02:38 PM »
6. The Comforts of home (#9 Simon Serrailler) - Susan Hill (audio)
Almost up to date with this series. Really enjoyable listening.
7. Tastes like fear (#3 DS Marnie Rome) - Sarah Hilary. Not easy reading but I like the lead characters. 3 more in the series.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2020, 05:51:44 AM »
4) Grønn ungdom hele livet (Green youth my whole life), by Peter Tutein. Only 1/2 read.
5) Dubbel zes (Double Six) by Daphne Deckers.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2020, 05:52:41 AM »
1) Behave - Robert Sapolsky.
2) Lonely Planet - 50 natural wonders.
4) The Secret Commonwealth - The Book of Dust Volume 2 - Philip Pullman.
5) The University of Hard Knocks, by Ralph Parlette.
6) Invisible Women - Caroline Criado Perez
7) Connie - Harry Pearson - biography of my grandad's teenage hero, Learie Constantine, the Trinidadian cricketer and first black man to be knighted and become a member of the House of Lords in Britain.